PDA

View Full Version : Ike Taylor, Antonio Brown fight again in Steelers camp

SteelCrazy
08-13-2012, 09:20 AM
Training camp fights are often dismissed with lines like "they just need to hit someone in a different uniform". Well, the Pittsburgh Steelers got to hit the Philadelphia Eagles last Thursday night, but that hasn't cooled the friction between cornerback Ike Taylor and wide receiver Antonio Brown.

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Taylor and Brown fought in the middle of the field after practice Sunday, with general manager Kevin Colbert having to play the role of Mills Lane, breaking up what was the second fight between Taylor and Brown this summer.

Bouchette wrote that this fight began when Brown threw a punch at Taylor after the two had been jostling for the ball. Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin brushed the incident off, but Colbert met with a few players, including Brown and Taylor, on an adjoining practice field to clear the air.

"These guys understand what we're working for, and when we step into stadiums, we're together," Tomlin said. "When you fight your brother, sometimes, it gets a little heated. ... The guys understand what that's about, and they'll leave it on the grass where it should be."

Brown and Taylor walked off the field together, so perhaps this beef has been squashed. And considering the Steelers' lack of depth at receiver and cornerback, the Steelers can't afford to have either player breaking a hand or finger by punching a helmet.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000049170/article/ike-taylor-antonio-brown-fight-again-in-steelers-camp

fezziwig
08-13-2012, 10:07 AM
i always thought it was stupid to fight someone on your own team. yeah, i've done it when i was in sports but it ended after a couple of punches. only once did a guy from my team pursue it afterwards and actually, it was before practice the following day. it was the coaches nephew that thought he was the king. he cried like a girl when he had no equipment on to protect him. lol.
we already knew taylor was a hot head so i guess brown is one too.

Oviedo
08-13-2012, 10:18 AM
i always thought it was stupid to fight someone on your own team. yeah, i've done it when i was in sports but it ended after a couple of punches. only once did a guy from my team pursue it afterwards and actually, it was before practice the following day. it was the coaches nephew that thought he was the king. he cried like a girl when he had no equipment on to protect him. lol.
we already knew taylor was a hot head so i guess brown is one too.

I agree. Kinda dumb to risk having you best WR and CB get hurt beating on each other. I don't think they are necessarily "hot heads" as much as probably two of the hardest working, most competitive players on the field. Would be nice if Mike Wallace was that way too.;)

What are the odds Antonio told Ike he was going to go Demaryius Thomas on him?????:D

phillyesq
08-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Here was Lolley's take on it:

@ For the second time in this training camp, Antonio Brown and Ike Taylor got into a fight, this time during a red zone drill.

This one got a little more heated than their previous dust up last week as the two continued to jaw at each other after practice.

Don't expect any long-lasting effects, however.

Brown and Taylor are both competitors and neither wants to give an inch. And they've been going against each other on a daily basis now for three weeks. It can get a little irritating.

phillyesq
08-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Here is what Brown had to say about it:

Antonio Brown ‏@AntonioBrown84 Please forgive me and my brother @Ike_SwagginU (http://www.planetsteelers.com/Ike_SwagginU) for the frustration in camp we love each other sincerely ! Meet us on Carson at Cafe Davio
Retweeted by Ken Laird (http://www.planetsteelers.com/Ken_Laird)

fezziwig
08-13-2012, 01:10 PM
i heard they walked off the field as buddies.

birtikidis
08-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Ike tweeted about it too. Said they were family and sometimes family fights. Then said they were at breakfast together

flippy
08-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Kinda dumb to risk having you best WR and CB get hurt beating on each other.

I didn't realize Sanders and Allen were fighting ;)

Jigawatts
08-13-2012, 02:39 PM
i heard they walked off the field as buddies.

WRONG

They swagged off the field as buddies.;)

hawaiiansteel
08-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Gerry Dulac ‏@gerrydulac via twitter:

"Too bad Ike Taylor didn't go after DeMaryius Thomas the way he went after Antonio Brown."

http://twitter.com/gerrydulac

hawaiiansteel
08-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Gerry: Ike, Brown fight again...and again

SUNDAY, 12 AUGUST 2012 WRITTEN BY GERRY DULAC

For the second time at training camp, wide receiver Antonio Brown and cornerback Ike Taylor were involved in a fight during practice.

But this one didn’t stop there.

After practice ended Sunday at St. Vincent College, Taylor went after Brown in the middle of the field and the players had to be separated by, among others, general manager Kevin Colbert.

Coach Mike Tomlin tried to dismiss the altercation by saying, “We’re competitors….those things happen,” but this went beyond the normal training-camp tussle.

Afterward, Colbert met on an adjoining practice field with Brown, Taylor, safety Ryan Clark and receiver Jerricho Cotchery. Receivers coach Scotty Montgomery later joined the meeting.

Taylor applied an ice pack to his forehead and eventually walked off the field with Brown.

None of the involved players spoke to the media.

The altercation began when Taylor stepped in front of an end-zone pass for Brown and tried to wrestle the ball away. After jostling for the ball on the ground, the players jumped to their feet and Brown threw a punch at Taylor. Several teammates intervened.

That was followed by a spirited goalline drill in which Clark, who did not participate in the drill, stood off to the side and screamed and gestured his support for the defense. The defense dominated the drill, winning six of the seven plays.

The goalline drill was at the end of practice, but it seemed to further incite the players, especially Clark and Taylor. Brown and Taylor were involved in a fight the first week of camp.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117601-gerry-ike-brown-fight-againand-again

Shoe
08-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Antonio Brown is NUTS. I WOULD NOT mess with a guy with those manos de piedra.

Discipline of Steel
08-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Gerry Dulac ‏@gerrydulac via twitter:

"Too bad Ike Taylor didn't go after DeMaryius Thomas the way he went after Antonio Brown."

http://twitter.com/gerrydulac

To be honest, I blame that on St LeBeau's scheme to contain the running of Tebow...because he didnt respect his arm.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-13-2012, 08:43 PM
I just really, really like ike taylor.

just plays football and works out.

so under appreciated.

hawaiiansteel
08-13-2012, 10:57 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9c/I_Like_Ike_button,_1952.pnghttp://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/ikeanddanrooney.jpg

flippy
08-14-2012, 06:03 AM
Brown threw a punch at Taylor

I never get why someone would try and punch someone wearing a helmet. A 3 Stooges Eye Gouge would make a lot more sense.

steelfin
08-14-2012, 09:20 AM
I was listening to sports radio and heard that Ike started it by telling Brown that he was nothing without Wallace....

Brown returned the fire saying thats not what DeMaryius Thomas said....or something to that effect.

IKE should shut his mouth and play football...save the smack talk for the other team...learn to catch or something.

hawaiiansteel
08-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Breakfast club: Steelers' Taylor, Brown break bread, settle differences after Sunday fight

By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
August 14, 2012

http://c4241337.r37.cf2.rackcdn.com/2012/226/949/cornerbacks-scuffle_420.jpg

Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor (gold jersey) wrestles down wide receiver Antonio Brown on Sunday. The fight ensued after Taylor intercepted a pass and roughed up Brown in the end zone.

Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor returned to training camp this morning with a shiner under his right eye, the result of a fight with receiver Antonio Brown during practice Sunday. Taylor and Brown had a sit-down with general manager Kevin Colbert after practice, and they talked out their problems over breakfast on their day off Monday.

Taylor and Brown dined at Caffe Davio on the South Side and tried to come to an understanding for the final week of training camp at Saint Vincent College.

"We had breakfast yesterday, sat down for about an hour or two, ironed out our differences," Brown said this afternoon. "We know how much we mean to this team, with him being a leader of his room and me being a young leader in our room. That's not what our organization is all about."

Neither player gave a reason for the fight on Sunday or the one between the two that took place earlier in training camp.

"Can't say what stemmed from what," Brown said. "It's camp. We've been here for two weeks now. Guys are getting aggressive and competing against each other. What's important is we're on the same team, and we go to bat for each other. I root for him just as he roots for me on Sundays."

"Brothers get into it," Taylor said. "That's how it is sometimes. Up here in Latrobe, we're tired of seeing each other. We're two highly competitive guys. When you have the same blood type, things are bound to happen.

But me and AB are cool."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/breakfast-club-steelers-taylor-brown-break-bread-settle-differences-after-sunday-fight-648972/#ixzz23YM47DkA

hawaiiansteel
08-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Frequency of fights at Steelers camp grows alarming

By Mark Kaboly
Published: Tuesday, August 14, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=Of_YB C$667Beu6hdEsZhOs$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYtUW3SccobsR41 bq5faee97WCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown, left, and defensive back Ike Taylor (24) grab each others during a confrontation after a play during practice at NFL football training camp in Latrobe, Pa., Tuesday, July 31, 2012.

Fight club

Through 12 padded practices, the Steelers have had eight scuffles:

Date Combatants

July 28 OL Willie Colon vs.
LB Lawrence Timmons

July 29 OL Kelvin Beachum vs.
DE Cameron Heyward

July 29 Beachum vs.
DE Ikponmwosa Igbinosun

July 31 WR Derrick Williams vs.
CB Andre Freeman

July 31 WR Antonio Brown vs.
CB Ike Taylor

Aug. 3 Colon vs. Heyward

Monday Brown vs. Taylor

Tuesday Beachum vs. Heyward

Fights happen during training camp.

A shove, push or an occasional punch happens, or as linebacker Larry Foote likes to call them, “camp fights.”

This year, however, they are happening with much more frequency.

And if Sunday was any indication, they are occurring with much more ferocity — and that’s gotten the attention of team leaders Ryan Clark and Ben Roethlisberger.

Clark had conversations with Roethlisberger and Ike Taylor to put an end to a potentially damaging issue following two brawls Sunday involving Taylor and receiver Antonio Brown. Taylor suffered a gash under his right eye.

“We can’t let our ego get in the way to the point where it hurts the team,” Clark said. “I brought us up afterwards and told them that family fights. But I also told them that we need to be united when we leave this field. We always have been united, and I don’t want to lose that by fighting out here.”

There have been at least eight incidents during the first 12 padded practices but none that had the emotion of Sunday’s fight between Brown and Taylor.

Not only did it involve two of the Steelers’ best players, the altercation went to a level rarely seen among teammates.

The two got into an incident during a 7-on-7 drill that ultimately resulted in Brown taking a swing at Taylor.

“I am a football player, not an UFC fighter or someone trying to fight guys,” Brown said. “I could’ve been fined; I could’ve broken my hand — a lot of scenarios could’ve been really bad.”

But it didn’t end there.

After a highly emotional goal-line drill to end practice, Taylor went after Brown in the middle of the field and the two had to be separated by players and general manager Kevin Colbert.

“That’s how it is sometimes,” Taylor said. “We are up in Latrobe, tired of seeing each other. We are two highly competitive types of guys, and when you have the same blood type, things are bound to happen.”

Neither Brown nor Taylor would elaborate on the cause of the fight, but the two had to be separated two weeks earlier during a blocking drill involving wide receivers and cornerbacks.

“In the heat of the moment, we let our emotions get the best of us,” Brown said. “But at the end of the day, that’s my brother, and just not on the field, but off the field. We have a great relationship that goes far beyond one incident.”

Though coach Mike Tomlin downplayed the incident, it was troubling enough for Clark to go out of his way to have talks with teammates about it and for Brown and Taylor (along with teammate Will Allen) to hash out their differences over breakfast Monday morning at Cafee Davio on the South Side.

“We ironed out our differences, and we know how much we mean to the team — him being the leader of their room and me being a young guy and leader of my room,” Brown said. “(Fighting is) not what our organization is about.”

Further proof that the incident is behind them — Brown was a guest on the “Ike Taylor Show” on TribLive Radio on Tuesday night at Geo’s in Latrobe.

“Everything has been cool since that day,” Taylor said. “I look at AB as a little brother of mine.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2407127-85/taylor-brown-ike-camp-antonio-clark-field-fights-incident-steelers

fordfixer
08-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Tomlin not annoyed with fights during practice
http://www.heraldstandard.com/sports/local/tomlin-not-annoyed-with-fights-during-practice/article_e881ab0b-bf95-50f5-92fa-9a4e33dc6a7f.html

Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 2:00 am | Updated: 12:27 am, Wed Aug 15, 2012.

By Jim Wexell For HeraldStandard.com

Posted on August 15, 2012

LATROBE — Steelers coach Mike Tomlin answered with a steely “no” when asked if he’s becoming annoyed with the fighting during practice this season.

But Larry Foote just chuckled easily when asked why there was so much edginess.

“It’s just camp fights,” said Foote, the defensive signal-caller. “This year the difference is it’s a lot of name guys, veteran guys who are fighting.”

Aren’t they fighting with more vigor?

“Nahhh. Same ol’, same ol’,” Foote said. “Fighting out here is just play fighting. It’s not real anger. If you hear about fights in the locker room and weight room, then it’s serious.”

Foote may be taking the aggression lightly, but he’s been as serious as a punch in the jaw this training camp.

In the one and only three-play series to start the preseason game in Philadelphia, Foote made a tackle and pressured the quarterback. And in the goal line drill Sunday, Foote made two tackles and blew up fullback Will Johnson to allow Baron Batch to be gang-tackled on his third and final play. When it ended, Tomlin said “Larry Foote controlled the whole drill.”

At 32, has Foote discovered the Fountain of Youth?

“Well I don’t know about all that yet,” Foote said. “But the one thing from the game and the goal line is I was unblocked. So, somebody’s doing something up front when the middle linebacker’s making plays up front and in the backfield. Any time you’re in the backfield as a linebacker, somebody up front did their job, so I give those guys credit.”

Foote likes what he sees from a defensive line that’s missing old stalwarts Aaron Smith (retired) and Casey Hampton (PUP list).

“They look good so far, the young guys,” Foote said. “We have a lot of depth on the d-line. They look good, and when Hamp comes back they’ll look even better.”

STARKS ACTIVATED: Max Starks on Sunday said he could play by late August. On Tuesday, the Steelers activated him off the PUP list and said he’ll begin practicing on Friday. Tomlin was asked if he might play Sunday against the Indianapolis Colts.

“It depends on how he looks over the course of the next four or five days,” Tomlin said.

ADDITIONS FOR OFFENSE: John Clay suffered a torn quadriceps muscle in practice Sunday and was waived by the Steelers on Tuesday. To replace him, the Steelers signed running back Jason Ford (5-10, 251), another in a line of University of Illinois running backs to sign with the Steelers.

Ford follows Rashard Mendenhall and Carey Davis to Pittsburgh from Champaign, where he was second in Illinois school history with 26 touchdowns and 16th in rushing yards with 1,962.

Ford, like Davis, grew up in the St. Louis area and holds the all-time St. Louis metro record with 6,415 rushing yards at Althoff High. And like Davis, Ford projects to fullback with the Steelers.

Penn State fans may remember Ford for his 100-yard rushing performance last season and his 4-yard touchdown pass in an Illinois win the previous season. Ford was asked Tuesday which meant more to him.

“Probably the TD pass,” he said. “Can’t get no better than that, in front of 114,000 throwing a TD pass.”

Earlier in the day, the Steelers announced the signing of tight end Justin Peelle (6-4, 251). The 33-year-old has 68 starts in 10 NFL seasons and has caught 123 passes for 1,003 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Drafted out of Oregon in the fourth round in 2002 by the San Diego Chargers, Peelle also played for the Miami Dolphins, Atlanta Falcons and last year the San Francisco 49ers.

“My career’s been mainly blocking, but I can do a little bit of everything,” said Peelle. “I’m not going to catch 200 balls, but I can do some things in the pass game and in the run game. I just have to knock the rust off and get ready to play.”

Peelle said he’s played fullback “in emergency situations” and that he’s “looking to play and be a part of something that’s going to be successful. Obviously, this organization has done it for years, so the opportunity to come here and win was a big draw for me.”

PRACTICE NOTES: Tuesday’s catch of the day was made by rookie tight end David Paulson, who jumped higher than Lawrence Timmons to catch a Jerrod Johnson pass deep down the field. ... Rookie Toney Clemons had a productive day and stood out for reading the blitz and catching a “hot” pass from Ben Roethlisberger. ... Roethlisberger found Jerricho Cotchery in the back of the end zone for a touchdown pass with less than 20 seconds left for a successful end to the two-minute drill. Roethlisberger and Cotchery both improvised to beat safety Ryan Clark. ... Cameron Heyward and Kelvin Beachum began to scuffle during the second-team two-minute drill and Tomlin called a timeout to order Beachum off the field. Tomlin was likely upset because the offensive player was not thinking about the clock. The second team under quarterback Charlie Batch did not score. ... Jeremy Kapinos, Doug Legursky and Mike Adams missed practice with injuries. Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer were limited.

hawaiiansteel
08-17-2012, 01:53 AM

just plays football and works out.

so under appreciated.

Ike Taylor: Most intense training camp of my career

Published: Thursday, August 16, 2012
by Ike Taylor

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=wCNcc YH$8PRZDJAPgJUWDM$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYt9d5C3aq2XM8X j_g9gVQMaWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Time flies!

As training camp winds down, I like to reflect on the growth and extract all of the positives that arose from the pain and hard work.

I will say that the weather was great, the atmosphere was energizing, the fans were incredible, and my teammates, well, there are no words for how honored and blessed I feel to be surrounded by guys like these.

The camaraderie that we develop as we overcome challenges together can only be described as, well, indescribable.

In all of my years as a Pittsburgh Steeler, I can say, without a doubt, that the 2012 training camp has been the most intense and productive that I have yet to be a part of. I’m impressed beyond words with the young guys and how fast they are developing. It seems like every year the rookies get more and more talented and driven. It’s a great feeling to know that we have so much strength coming in this year to reinforce our squad.

As for me, I have been taking on more of a leadership role with my teammates. I have been a Pittsburgh Steeler for a decade now, and I know this organization as well as anyone.

I know how things need to be done and what is expected of us all. I am a man of few words; I tend to lead by example as I believe there is nothing more productive to a team or an individual than blood, sweat and tears — hard work.

I am somewhat selective with my words, but when I feel they can help, if I see that the team or an individual can use a push or is struggling a bit on or off the field, I want them to know that I am there to help. I feel that has been my strength and significant contribution as a veteran on this team.

As we wind down and get ready to head back to Pittsburgh, I find myself getting excited to get back home and sleep in my own bed. I miss the Pittsburgh summer; it reminds me of being back in my hometown, New Orleans. The energy and carefree atmosphere, people out and about walking their dogs and enjoying the summer, I can’t wait to get back to that.

As the season approaches, each of us starts to shift gears — it’s game time, time to make your mark and prove yourself. This is when all of your hard work during offseason and camp pays off.

I hope you are ready Steeler Nation. We do this all for you!

http://burgh.us/fmh

hawaiiansteel
08-19-2012, 02:44 AM
Be like Ike: Setting the bar for the Steelers

Posted by Jacob Wallace

Ike Taylor gingerly pressed against the swollen gash under his right eye and grimaced.

The 32-year-old Steelers cornerback wasn’t upset though. He’d recently fielded a punch while engaged in another fight with close friend and teammate Antonio Brown, their second of a training camp seemingly more ferocious than usual, and once again they’d both played it off as merely a product of their competitive personalities.

Even with the respected captains of the team stepping in to diffuse the situation, for all the speculation regarding the possible cause of their disputes during practices, neither man would offer an explanation, saying they were on good terms with each other.

A band of brothers, said Brown. Nothing personal.

Brothers get into it, said Taylor. That’s how it is.

Perhaps Taylor was being emphatic.

He’s been a rock for a vaunted and storied Pittsburgh defensive unit in this modern era of the forward pass. It’s a quarterback-friendly, pass-happy league now, creating a greater demand for defensive backs to keep pace with the influx of wide-open offenses catered toward multi-receiver sets. And few have stepped up to the challenge the way Ike Taylor has.

Now entering his 10th NFL season, Taylor climbed the ladder from special teamer to shutdown corner with little flash or frill, only hard work, determination, and solid performance. The main knock on his skill set is having hands of stone, notching only 13 interceptions in 9 years. But those looking for the splash plays miss the point.

He’s a gamer. He gets assigned the opposing team’s best receiver and told to hold him in check, a task he’s completed efficiently time and again. Ask Chad Johnson for the gritty details. What Taylor lacks in splashiness and accolades, he makes up for with consistency, serving as the unheralded anchor in a secondary that includes All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu, having posted well over 100 consecutive games played through the 2011 season and playoffs, and hasn’t missed a game since 2004.

And more recently, with the departures of the much-maligned William Gay, and oft-injured Bryant McFadden, it’s up to Taylor to not only again be an anchor but also a guiding light to the trio of young guns battling for the No. 2 spot. On a team laden with knowledgeable veterans who enjoy the process of taking the young hopefuls under their wings, it’s Taylor who will be the example to guys like Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen, and Curtis Brown. It’ll be up to him to model the Pittsburgh standard at cornerback for them.

They’re all guys like he himself once was: a big, strong, fast, extremely raw talent. They have a combined five years of mostly special teams experience and only one official start between them, yet one of them is likely going to be called upon to man the left corner spot opposite Taylor and another for the nickel slot when the 2012 season starts.

Keenan Lewis, entering his 4th year, has the most experience, including that one lonely start, and seems to have the inside track toward nabbing the starting job. But Lewis knows if he looks over his shoulder, Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown, even with their limited playing time, are right there behind him ready to snatch it from his grasp. They’re all young, hungry, ready for their big break. And they’re watching the in-house veteran of their craft, observing, dissecting his every movement, his every step.

Ike Taylor knows it too. And perhaps in his own way he’s embraced it. Fire is started by friction, and maybe he got a little carried away, but to those young men watching him so closely, he sent a subtle, slightly skewed message addressed to Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen, and Curtis Brown from that vacant No. 2 spot: To be a brother, you gotta fight. For yourself. For each other.

That’s how it is.

http://thepenaltyflagblog.com/ike-setting-bar-steelers

eniparadoxgma
08-19-2012, 10:48 AM
I hope you are ready Steeler Nation. We do this all for you!

While I appreciate the sentiment I'm sure the paycheck is at least partially a motivator. :)