PDA

View Full Version : Dwyer is our best back....

lloydroid
08-11-2012, 02:27 PM
....and that is WITH Mendenhall active.

If Dwyer gets the touches, he will border pro bowl status.

He is simply better than any back on the roster, period.

Slapstick
08-11-2012, 02:30 PM
He'll certainly have a chance to prove that, but he has A LOT to prove...

Hopefully his shoulder will be okay...as it is often said, "You can't make the club in the tub."

Eddie Spaghetti
08-11-2012, 02:40 PM
do not agree at all.

hawaiiansteel
08-11-2012, 02:42 PM
If Dwyer gets the touches, he will border pro bowl status.

if Dwyer gets the touches he will gain 8000 yards this season which should be good enough to earn pro bowl status. :D

however, I don't think he will beat out Redman for the starting RB job...

Slapstick
08-11-2012, 05:01 PM
if Dwyer gets the touches he will gain 8000 yards this season which should be good enough to earn pro bowl status. :D

You are starting to see the light!

But, I'll have to revise my estimate...it has been about 5 years since an RB carried the ball 400 times...so, I don't think that 8,000 is quite within reach...:lol:

Steelerphile
08-11-2012, 06:51 PM
The thing I like about Dwyer is that he hits the "Go" switch really quickly when he sees an opening. The problem with Mendenhall is not physical ability but that he has a momentary hesitation before he hits an opening. I don't know if Dwyer is the best back because he hasn't carried in enough situations to show that, but I am very comfortable with him as part of the backfield on opening day.

flippy
08-11-2012, 06:57 PM
I give him credit for seemingly showing up in shape this year.

feltdizz
08-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Maybe Dwyer should start... seems like every time his number is called the OL executes to perfection.

Anyone notice Dwyer waving his hand after that big run? It looked like the coached wanted to see Batch in the red zone but I wonder if they would have let Dwyer finish the drive off of he didn't put his hand up.

hawaiiansteel
08-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Anyone notice Dwyer waving his hand after that big run? It looked like the coached wanted to see Batch in the red zone but I wonder if they would have let Dwyer finish the drive off of he didn't put his hand up.

I'm pretty sure Dwyer put his hand up to let the coaches know he was hurt, he mildly sprained his shoulder on that play...

feltdizz
08-11-2012, 07:49 PM
I didn't know he was injured on that play.

Shoe
08-11-2012, 09:09 PM
I'm pretty sure Dwyer put his hand up to let the coaches know he was hurt, he mildly sprained his shoulder on that play...

That is why he will never be any more than a flash player, a guy who teases but can't carry a load. He's in position to actually take the starting job... he rips off a nice run where he mildly hurts his shoulder (how he hurt the shoulder seems strange anyway. As I recall, he barely was touched on the run)... he rips off a big run, and he asks out of the game immediately.

He could be a nice backup, but I don't think he has the intestinal fortitude.

aggiebones
08-11-2012, 10:34 PM
Dwyer is a pus$y.
He ran through a giant hole, ran to the sideline and instead of bowling his big arse into the endzone...he jogged out of bounds. Then had the audacity to ask for a sub. Get him off the team. He's a punk. Best running back, my butt. He's a coward.

phillyesq
08-11-2012, 11:07 PM
do not agree at all.

Yeah, I don't see it at all. He seems to have some ability, but he's injury prone. Even from an ability standpoint, I'd certainly put him behind Redman. I'm not the biggest fan of Mendenhall, but you have to put him ahead of Dwyer as well.

8467thekraken
08-12-2012, 08:04 AM
From what I recall of Dwyer in college, he was not one to shy away from contact.

I'm thinking he's being smart and not taking any unnecessary extra hits. It is the first game of preseason.

aggiebones
08-12-2012, 08:05 AM
The whole topic is completely ludicrous. Yea, he found a giant hole and made a nice cut. End of compliment.

Oviedo
08-12-2012, 08:09 AM
That is why he will never be any more than a flash player, a guy who teases but can't carry a load. He's in position to actually take the starting job... he rips off a nice run where he mildly hurts his shoulder (how he hurt the shoulder seems strange anyway. As I recall, he barely was touched on the run)... he rips off a big run, and he asks out of the game immediately.

Sorta sounds like Issac Redman a couple of years ago and now he is a "legend" to many

Dwyer will be fine

Slapstick
08-12-2012, 09:57 AM
Sorta sounds like Issac Redman a couple of years ago and now he is a "legend" to many

Dwyer will be fine

Except Isaac Redman has actually earned his status...

Flasteel
08-12-2012, 10:07 AM
From what I recall of Dwyer in college, he was not one to shy away from contact.

I'm thinking he's being smart and not taking any unnecessary extra hits. It is the first game of preseason.

The guy had 3 yards to go and he barely contested being driven out of bounds. When you are in a battle to get touches during the regular season, the only smart thing to do is finish the play.

If you look at Rainey's 57-yard TD, the DB had pretty much the same angle on him as the one who chased down Dwyer. Rainey cut it back at the 10, so he could not only try to evade the contact, but to make sure he wouldn't be easily driven out by his own momentum at the point of contact. Dwyer should have also cut back, lowered his shoulder, and used that 230 lbs.

Nice run; weak finish.

feltdizz
08-12-2012, 10:41 AM

Dwyer will be fine

I guess Dwyer is your legend... lol.

Oviedo
08-12-2012, 11:06 AM
I guess Dwyer is your legend... lol.

Not yet, but lets hope he actually does something to deserve it during the season. That would be good for the team which is what matters.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Not yet, but lets hope he actually does something to deserve it during the season. That would be good for the team which is what matters.

like what redman has done?

Oviedo
08-12-2012, 11:14 AM
The guy had 3 yards to go and he barely contested being driven out of bounds. When you are in a battle to get touches during the regular season, the only smart thing to do is finish the play.

Nice run; weak finish.

I'm old enough to remember that exact same criticism being made about Franco Harris. He was always being criticized for going out of bounds versus lowering his shoulder. Not in a million years would I suggest that Dwyer is anything close to Franco but sometimes especially in the preseason you have to play smart.

I just watched the replay of the game yesterday and if you look at a few plays before that run Dwyer did a blitz pick up and put his shoulder into the blitzer and when I saw it it looked like he recoiled in a wierd way. I'm willing to bet that is when he actually hurt his shoulder and when he made that long run he felt someting which is why he didn't lower it into the oncoming tacklers. Don't really know, but just speculation.

Oviedo
08-12-2012, 11:17 AM
like what redman has done?

I long ago came to change my opinion that Redman was going to be an OK back (and have stated it many time), but still don't believe him to be a top line starter. That train left the station a long time ago. You really should offer some of your own opinions and shape some thoughts versus worrying so much about what I say. It might actually add some value to the board.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-12-2012, 11:20 AM
I do offer my opinions. Maybe not multiple times in every thread like you, but they are there.

I hope dwyer can succeed, but he isn't better than redman right now.

Flasteel
08-12-2012, 11:26 AM
I'm old enough to remember that exact same criticism being made about Franco Harris. He was always being criticized for going out of bounds versus lowering his shoulder. Not in a million years would I suggest that Dwyer is anything close to Franco but sometimes especially in the preseason you have to play smart.

I just watched the replay of the game yesterday and if you look at a few plays before that run Dwyer did a blitz pick up and put his shoulder into the blitzer and when I saw it it looked like he recoiled in a wierd way. I'm willing to bet that is when he actually hurt his shoulder and when he made that long run he felt someting which is why he didn't lower it into the oncoming tacklers. Don't really know, but just speculation.

If in fact he injured the shoulder on a previous play, then it does become understandable to me.

steelfin
08-12-2012, 11:38 AM
I do offer my opinions. Maybe not multiple times in every thread like you, but they are there.

I hope dwyer can succeed, but he isn't better than redman right now.

I have to agree with Eddie Spaghetti on this one....

When I first read the post I thought it was Ovi's twin brother posting... :-)

Seriously though...Maybe Dwyer will be the better back..He has flashed some talent at times and was looking good in the preseason game....but there are a lot of players that have all kinds of talent on paper and for one reason or another (head case, injury, etc) never amount to anything in the NFL...

Right now IMO, Redman is the better back and others that are in the organization must also believe this...If Dwyer steps up and shows us the talent that many believed he had coming out of college then our RB competition will be a good problem to have....

SF

Shoe
08-12-2012, 11:40 AM

You may be right, but I still think it reflects a lack of urgency on his part... a failure to realize what he has in front of him.

The stars only converge for us for a fleeting moment. It's your job to recognize that, and BE READY when they do. In Dwyer/Redman's case, the stars converged this off-season. How likely is it that an UDFA and a 6th round pick get a strong shot at one of only 32 starting RB jobs in the league? You may never get this chance again! (When I say this chance, I mean: You are young, you have no injuries, you have notread onyour tires, etc.) Your attitude should reflect a day-on-the-field one, where you are balls out. In many ways, you should approach it like a lot of people approach a contract year.

Oviedo
08-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Your attitude should reflect a day-on-the-field one, where you are balls out. In many ways, you should approach it like a lot of people approach a contract year.

If that were the case wouldn't they be home with Wallace worrying about getting hurt instead of playing?:stirpot

birtikidis
08-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Your attitude should reflect a day-on-the-field one, where you are balls out. In many ways, you should approach it like a lot of people approach a contract year.

If that were the case wouldn't they be home with Wallace worrying about getting hurt instead of playing?:stirpot
Wallace's contract year was last year. And he played pretty hard. He's a restricted free agent not a player entering his last year of a contract.

lloydroid
08-12-2012, 12:54 PM

He doesn't need to. If Redman gets 25 carries a game, he won't last and JD will get his shot.

lloydroid
08-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Maybe Dwyer should start... seems like every time his number is called the OL executes to perfection.

But we now know he was hurt, or was that after a different play?

lloydroid
08-12-2012, 12:59 PM

If he doesn't cut it being a prime back, it will be because he lacks the toughness as you say. However, he carried the load in college. His highlight reel is long and impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87oQfYptdJM

lloydroid
08-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Dwyer is a pus$y.
He ran through a giant hole, ran to the sideline and instead of bowling his big arse into the endzone...he jogged out of bounds. Then had the audacity to ask for a sub. Get him off the team. He's a punk. Best running back, my butt. He's a coward.

Really?

lloydroid
08-12-2012, 01:02 PM
The whole topic is completely ludicrous. Yea, he found a giant hole and made a nice cut. End of compliment.

Not basing it on that one run whatsoever. Wake up.

winwithd
08-12-2012, 02:28 PM
He looked to me like The Bus on some of those college runs (ex.- against SAMFORD in a 55-0 rout) but more like 'a bust' in the NFL. Granted, I did not see the first half or part of the 3rd Q. I read he was on a pace to run for 8000 yards this season. Maybe he is much better this year that he is finally in shape.

Shoe
08-12-2012, 04:08 PM
If he doesn't cut it being a prime back, it will be because he lacks the toughness as you say. However, he carried the load in college. His highlight reel is long and impressive.

Dwyer was a blue-chip prospect entering his last year at G-Tech. Now, my general theory on guys like that is that when you are a highly touted guy from a major college (like he was), the scouts have a microscope on you. They know you very well. It's different than a James Harrison for example, who came from a small school (to emerge as a star). It's also different than a Willie Parker, who came from a major D1 school but wasn't highly touted at the time. Dwyer was watched carefully. For a guy with the extensive highlight package that you showed, to be left to linger until the 6th round, speaks volumes to me about what scouts really thought about him.

It's like that Vontaze Burfict kid that came out this year. He was supposed to be the next Ray Lewis pre-2012. He proceeded to flop that year. Now, even if he did flop... if the scouts saw something in him or found extenuating circumstances, you best believe they still would've been falling over each other to pick him. They weren't. Why? Because they don't see the value. That's all it is.

So in Dwyer's case... as much as I hope he balls out this year (and me might... there's no denying his talent), I don't hold my breath at all.

NorthCoast
08-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Dwyer was a blue-chip prospect entering his last year at G-Tech. Now, my general theory on guys like that is that when you are a highly touted guy from a major college (like he was), the scouts have a microscope on you. They know you very well. It's different than a James Harrison for example, who came from a small school (to emerge as a star). It's also different than a Willie Parker, who came from a major D1 school but wasn't highly touted at the time. Dwyer was watched carefully. For a guy with the extensive highlight package that you showed, to be left to linger until the 6th round, speaks volumes to me about what scouts really thought about him.

It's like that Vontaze Burfict kid that came out this year. He was supposed to be the next Ray Lewis pre-2012. He proceeded to flop that year. Now, even if he did flop... if the scouts saw something in him or found extenuating circumstances, you best believe they still would've been falling over each other to pick him. They weren't. Why? Because they don't see the value. That's all it is.

So in Dwyer's case... as much as I hope he balls out this year (and me might... there's no denying his talent), I don't hold my breath at all.

Maybe.

But you are also making the assumption that people never change (at least for the good). Some guys take a little longer to mature and put things into proper perspective (believe me, as a father of four boys, I have seen just about every personality). Maybe the light for Dwyer has finally turned on.... maybe he is giving it his all as a final push to be great. No one knows but Dwyer. Hope the best for him, but I guess I am not as sold on him as some are here on the board.

BURGH86STEEL
08-12-2012, 06:33 PM
I don't believe Dwyers had enough opportunities to prove anything.

phillyesq
08-12-2012, 07:27 PM

Do you have any college highlight film on Limas Sweed or even Mendenhall? Maybe some KiJana Carter highlights.

Dwyer is going into his third year in the league, and so far, he has little to show for himself in the NFL. He's been outperformed by Redman both years. I think he's better than Clay and will likely stick on the roster. I hope he does well. But before we induct him Canton based on college film, perhaps we can wait until he actually contributes for more than one play here and there?

lloydroid
08-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Maybe.

But you are also making the assumption that people never change (at least for the good). Some guys take a little longer to mature and put things into proper perspective (believe me, as a father of four boys, I have seen just about every personality). Maybe the light for Dwyer has finally turned on.... maybe he is giving it his all as a final push to be great. No one knows but Dwyer. Hope the best for him, but I guess I am not as sold on him as some are here on the board.

Let's not forget that he came into camp 20 lbs lighter, having done it on his own, saying, in effect, that he now knows it's no one's job to get him in shape other than his own. He not only is talking the talk, him being 20 lbs lighter is also walking the walk. I think the kid is going to blow up this year. Once Redman has to take time off from a ding, JD is going to prove too talented and productive to keep on the bench. I have been high on this kid since the day they drafted him and I watched his highlight videos. The reason he dropped to the 7th round was he came into the combine super out of shape and that turned everyone off. This kid can ball. He it the hole with a burst and has size, speed and power. With our new OL, he is going to wreak havoc, if he can stay healthy. And watch what Ben and the WRs can do when we have a legit rushing threat, unlike we have had since....Bus was still near his prime....maybe in 2005, and we haven't really had a legit rushing threat since. Yea, it's a passing league, but having a legit rushing threat still makes it much easier for QBs, as play action MUST be reacted to by the safeties and LBs. And then Ben will torch Dees.

hawaiiansteel
08-12-2012, 07:40 PM
With our new OL, he is going to wreak havoc

our "new" OL didn't look too good against the Eagles, although we were missing Willie Colon and one game isn't a large enough of a sample size to be able to draw any conclusions from...:p

aggiebones
08-12-2012, 07:42 PM
No sense in responding to this irrational topic anymore other than to say, we'll see. I think its more likely that he'll be cut than start. Most likely neither.
He has some 'nice' rushing skills. But lacks most of the other elements on a consistent basis. In pass blocking, you take care of your responsibility most of the time, not occasionally, like he does. His rushing skills while adequate, are not enough. All our backs can gain yards against backups.

lloydroid
08-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Do you have any college highlight film on Limas Sweed or even Mendenhall? Maybe some KiJana Carter highlights.

Dwyer is going into his third year in the league, and so far, he has little to show for himself in the NFL. He's been outperformed by Redman both years. I think he's better than Clay and will likely stick on the roster. I hope he does well. But before we induct him Canton based on college film, perhaps we can wait until he actually contributes for more than one play here and there?

I never said to anoint him for Canton. I never said his college days prove his value; what I am saying is that my VISION tells me he could end up being a very productive back, if he gets the touches. It is my INSIGHT that tells me this, not to put him in the highest regards as is. If JD gets the touches he will put up 100+ yards most weeks, and that's what my vision tells me.

lloydroid
08-12-2012, 10:00 PM
No sense in responding to this irrational topic anymore other than to say, we'll see. I think its more likely that he'll be cut than start. Most likely neither.
He has some 'nice' rushing skills. But lacks most of the other elements on a consistent basis. In pass blocking, you take care of your responsibility most of the time, not occasionally, like he does. His rushing skills while adequate, are not enough. All our backs can gain yards against backups.

When Redman gets nicked up (as his running style makes very likely) JD will emerge as a big time producer and will be a top 10 back in the NFL, as long as he can stay healthy. Remember I said this.

aggiebones
08-13-2012, 02:36 PM
well, we can't say you don't go out on a ledge.
Dwyer is much more likely to get dinged and stay on the sideline than Redman. While it is the NFL, all players get nicked up. As always, Dwyers hand will be up immediately, calling for a sub. His best bet is to dazzle 3rd stringers during the preseason, then hide the rest of the year for 5 years and become vested for his NFL retirement.

Oviedo
08-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Just think, if Mendy doesn't get hurt at the end of the season all this talk is moot because he is the starter with no ifs, ands or buts. The big moderator in the sky obviously felt we needed to talk about something.

When Mendy is healthy again all this will be moot.

hawaiiansteel
08-13-2012, 02:51 PM
When Redman gets nicked up (as his running style makes very likely) JD will emerge as a big time producer and will be a top 10 back in the NFL, as long as he can stay healthy.

Remember I said this.

okay, I will. shall I remind you weekly?

Oviedo
08-13-2012, 03:05 PM
When Redman gets nicked up (as his running style makes very likely) JD will emerge as a big time producer and will be a top 10 back in the NFL, as long as he can stay healthy. Remember I said this.

I completely disagree about Dwyer being a Top 10 back, but I completely agree that Redman will miss games because of injury so we will need Dwyer to be better than he has ever been.

Slapstick
08-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Just think, if Mendy doesn't get hurt at the end of the season all this talk is moot because he is the starter with no ifs, ands or buts. The big moderator in the sky obviously felt we needed to talk about something.

If Mendenhall gets healthy...

This season is an audition for Redman...at the end of this season, he'll be a restricted free agent...

Mendenhall will be an unrestricted free agent...will the Steelers have the cap room to keep him?

Will they even try?

feltdizz
08-13-2012, 03:35 PM

No doubt... but this is the NFL and things happen. I'm willing to bet Mendy's numbers would have continued to slide due to Redman getting more touches. I know you don't care for Redman's style but his production made it impossible to keep him on the sideline or in street clothing.

I hope Dwyer plays up to your potential...

8467thekraken
08-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Gotta remember. Dwyer was drafted when he was 20 years old. He just had his 23rd Birthday 2 and a half weeks ago.

When he came into this league, he wasn't even a man, yet.
Came from a program(GT) where he was THE MAN for the short time he was there.
He get's here, a kid, and is stuck behind Mendenhall.

I don't know...I think that maybe now, after he has grown up a bit and realizes that he is getting another opportunity, he is understanding things more. Not just on the field, but off it as well.

I remember seeing a clip of him talking about how his Dad told him not to come to him if he is crying. He said only if there is lots of blood or you can see the bone.
I remember them being raised as humble kids.

This kids talent is really high, IMO. I really think he was just growing up and trying to become a man amongst alot of heavy weight hitters of men in this world.

I think we need to give him the ball alot this year. There is no way this line can't run block. Then let Haley and Ben play off the success of the Bell Cow.

I think , in the end, it' s gonna be hard for Tomlin to keep him on the bench.

Some wishful thinking here. But nothing beyond the realm of possibility.

Perhaps a coming-out with serious implications- Now the Steelers have a Fantasy Football stud running the ball to go along with there indestructable QB and Top tier defense.

Please, please, please.

lloydroid
08-14-2012, 01:02 AM

BS. RM sucks. He is part of the problem.

lloydroid
08-14-2012, 01:04 AM
okay, I will. shall I remind you weekly?

Sure, I'd like that

hawaiiansteel
08-14-2012, 01:59 AM
Sure, I'd like that

cool...

I will also get you Jonathan Dwyer's autograph when he makes it to the Pro Bowl this year as I always attend the autograph sessions at the Pro Bowl every year and will send it to you along with a box of chocolate macadamia nuts. :Cheers

Oviedo
08-14-2012, 08:17 AM
BS. RM sucks. He is part of the problem.

Sorry, but you can keep your BS. Mendy is the best RB we have.

steelfin
08-14-2012, 09:00 AM

Mendy is way over rated...I dont think he the Steelers will resign him unless they get him on the cheap.

Captain Crunch
08-14-2012, 11:02 AM

This may not be the case any longer... only time will tell... Based on watching Dwyer's limited collective body of work, I'm quite convinced that he could be the next Barry Foster... that is who I see when he runs. He may not be the fastest, (was Jerome or Barry?) but he just has a knack for gaining yards and big runs... Dwyer has the vision and skills to be a top 10 back. He knows where he needs to run and he commits... No dance no spinderella... just production... and he'd have a lot of production if he stays motivated, healthy and is give the chance. I would love to see what he can do on a consistent basis...

feltdizz
08-14-2012, 11:18 AM
This may not be the case any longer... only time will tell... Based on watching Dwyer's limited collective body of work, I'm quite convinced that he could be the next Barry Foster... that is who I see when he runs. He may not be the fastest, (was Jerome or Barry?) but he just has a knack for gaining yards and big runs... Dwyer has the vision and skills to be a top 10 back. He knows where he needs to run and he commits... No dance no spinderella... just production... and he'd have a lot of production if he stays motivated, healthy and is give the chance. I would love to see what he can do on a consistent basis...

whoa dere....

I think there are about 100 RB's who would look just as good running through the 2 gaping holes I seen Dwyer run through... but when there isn't a hole.. or when there is a defender on him at the LOS will he fall forward? On the 4th and 1 that Redman converted... would Dwyer find that hole? Not saying he can't but I want to see him do it a few times before crowning him. I don't see top 10 but I see a solid #2 if he can do these things consistently.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-14-2012, 11:22 AM
I'm very curious what exactly some posters see in dwyer that says he can be a top 10 back in the NFL.

he has 25 carries for 151 yards in his career. Take away the 76 yard run and that drops to 24 for 76 yards, a 3 yard average.

sorry, but that doesn't scream top 10 back to me.

feltdizz
08-14-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm very curious what exactly some posters see in dwyer that says he can be a top 10 back in the NFL.

he has 25 carries for 151 yards in his career. Take away the 76 yard run and that drops to 24 for 76 yards, a 3 yard average.

they see college...

Slapstick
08-14-2012, 12:48 PM

I didn't like this argument with Willie Parker and I don't really like it now...cherry picking the best carries out of the body of work doesn't support the argument well...

That being said, Dwyer has not impressed me...

Dwyer had the opportunity to supplant Redman as the top backup to first round draft choice Rashard Mendenhall...he didn't or couldn't...

Dwyer has 25 carries for 151 yards in his career...

Redman had 162 carries for 726 yards in his career...with a healthy 4.5 yard average...

It strikes me as silly that a guy like Redman, who has more than 6 times as many carries as Dwyer and has also produced well in the playoffs, somehow can't get it done, but Dwyer, who was on the bubble last year, finished the year injured and got hurt after two carries in the preseason is the savior...

Shoe
08-14-2012, 12:56 PM

See, I would more liken him to a guy like LaGarrett Blount. Both were highly rated prior to their final years in college, and both fell down the draft board. Both are very physically talented--both are capable of ripping off big runs that get everybody thinking about their potential. And both have value as a role player, because of that potential. But in the end, I would say that both will end up disappointing more than surprising. Now that's not to say that they can't have a 1,000-yard season even (if I'm not mistaken, Blount has that type of year under his belt). But there is a tease factor that both have, that they will never achieve their "potential", each for their own reason.

papillon
08-14-2012, 01:13 PM
Mendy may be the odd man out come contract time, not because the others are better, but because the NFL is devaluing the running back position. You need two average to above average backs and a backup, not a 20-25 carry per game feature running back. The evolution of offense to more of a passing game rather rushing offense allows teams to keep two backs that may cost less than one feature back. The way offenses are being coordinated now I wouldn't want a back like AP on my team, he's too expensive for what a running back provides to the offense.

Redman, Dwyer, Batch and Rainey provide many different looks that the Steelers can use on offense, rather than using Mendenhall as the feature. Mendenhall is still probably the best all around back, but I doubt the Steelers pay him as a feature back if the other 4 work out well while Mendenhall is on the PUP. The quality of running back coming out of college will probably begin to decline (if it hasn't already) due to the rules and offenses being run.

Pappy

Captain Crunch
08-14-2012, 01:17 PM
See, I would more liken him to a guy like LaGarrett Blount. Both were highly rated prior to their final years in college, and both fell down the draft board. Both are very physically talented--both are capable of ripping off big runs that get everybody thinking about their potential. And both have value as a role player, because of that potential. But in the end, I would say that both will end up disappointing more than surprising. Now that's not to say that they can't have a 1,000-yard season even (if I'm not mistaken, Blount has that type of year under his belt). But there is a tease factor that both have, that they will never achieve their "potential", each for their own reason.

I would tend to agree with the good points you made... And yes I am partly basing my gut feeling and observations on his college career. I'm looking at the glass being half full... I think he has a lot of potential and it is up to him to prove he can do it or not... I'm not one who is ready to anoint him as anything yet... but again it is just a gut feeling that Dwyer has a lot more to show and grow into... I really like Redman and having Dwyer backing him up isn't a bad thing IMHO. I just hope Dwyer has decided that he wants it bad enough and really us shows his capabilities... I wouldn't give up on him just yet... No one knows what Rashard will ultimately bring to the table after his latest injury... that alone COULD, not saying it will, make him less productive. As I said time will tell...

Oviedo
08-14-2012, 01:34 PM

None of our backs are Top 10, Dwyer included. I think people get excited about the explosiveness that allows a 70+ yard run to occur but Dwyer has much more to prove to establish himself as just a decent RB in the NFL.

hawaiiansteel
08-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Dwyer has the vision and skills to be a top 100 back.

you forgot a zero there, fixed that for ya...:D

Captain Crunch
08-14-2012, 05:33 PM
you forgot a zero there, fixed that for ya...:D

Let me fix this for ya...;) No one really knows what this kid has just yet... Until their number is consistently called it's all just conjecture and discussion board fodder. "IF" Dwyer lived up to his potential coming out of school he might just surprise everyone... The way the RB's are valued in today's league any good back running behind a great line has the chance of becoming a top 10 back... Did anyone ever think or predict what Barry Foster would end up doing? No. I hope Dwyer does a super job... just like I hope Redmond, Rainey and Batch do when they are called upon...

hawaiiansteel
08-14-2012, 06:57 PM
MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

BTW, Dwyer will back at practice today but will be limited -- no contact

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/

eniparadoxgma
08-14-2012, 08:17 PM
I don't believe Dwyers had enough opportunities to prove anything.

aaaand I agree with ya. Best back on the roster? Based on what, exactly?

Captain Lemming
08-15-2012, 01:53 AM
Dwyer is a pus$y.
He ran through a giant hole, ran to the sideline and instead of bowling his big arse into the endzone...he jogged out of bounds.

Sounds alot like FRANCO :)
Oooh how we forget how the "great ones" really played :)

Captain Lemming
08-15-2012, 02:04 AM
Did anyone ever think or predict what Barry Foster would end up doing? No. I hope Dwyer does a super job... just like I hope Redmond, Rainey and Batch do when they are called upon...

I called it. Well kind of.
Dude had a high YPC (over 5 yards) his first two years
Year three he gets the starting job.

That was my first time fantasy football. No PCs, back then.
Based on the above knowledge of his YPA, the fact that he would start, but more than anything pure unadulterated Steeler homerism, he was my top back on my team.

I won the league. I continue to rock a Foster jersey to this day. Only jerseys (2 of them) I have. :)

Oviedo
08-15-2012, 07:46 AM

I said the same thing last week. Franco was constantly ripped for avoiding unnecessary contact. That said, Dwyer has a long ways to go before he can be mentioned in the same sentence as Franco...which I just did anyway:D

feltdizz
08-15-2012, 09:07 AM

My mom always hated Franco because he ran out of bounds... I doubt anyone would rip Dwyer if he consistently gets nice gains then heads out of bounds to avoid contact.

phillyesq
08-15-2012, 09:43 AM
I said the same thing last week. Franco was constantly ripped for avoiding unnecessary contact. That said, Dwyer has a long ways to go before he can be mentioned in the same sentence as Franco...which I just did anyway:D

There are plenty of ways that they can be mentioned in the same sentence. For example, John Dwyer is no Franco Harris. Or, in his wildest dreams, one day John Dwyer will amount to a pimple on Franco's *ss. :D

aggiebones
08-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Franco did that later in his career, not before it started. And obviously Dwyer is not Franco. Franco today is still better at whatever age he is.

Shoe
08-16-2012, 12:05 PM
I called it. Well kind of.
Dude had a high YPC (over 5 yards) his first two years
Year three he gets the starting job.

That was my first time fantasy football. No PCs, back then.
Based on the above knowledge of his YPA, the fact that he would start, but more than anything pure unadulterated Steeler homerism, he was my top back on my team.

I won the league. I continue to rock a Foster jersey to this day. Only jerseys (2 of them) I have. :)

So do you see the same thing with Redman?

lloydroid
08-16-2012, 04:06 PM

Right on. Bingo

hawaiiansteel
08-16-2012, 05:05 PM
My mom always hated Franco because he ran out of bounds...

your Mom sounds really cool...:D

feltdizz
08-16-2012, 05:35 PM
your Mom sounds really cool...:D

She was real cool... she was always on the sideline screaming for me to kill someone at football games.

She also used to watch Mike Ditka play football in high school when she was a kid. She said he was the dirtiest player she ever saw. Used to kick players after he tackled them.

Where she is from, Aliquippa,PA... the women know just as much about football as the men.

fezziwig
08-16-2012, 05:40 PM
My friend was big in high school and everyone went for his knees. He said he understands Francos way of doing things. My buddy just had two knee replacements.
BTW Hawaiian, I checked out that other Steeler Forum and your right.....it's nothing but a ghost town. That's what happens when you have a guy with scrambled egg brains running the place with a bunch of bootlickers following him.

lloydroid
08-16-2012, 05:59 PM
My friend was big in high school and everyone went for his knees. He said he understands Francos way of doing things. My buddy just had two knee replacements.
BTW Hawaiian, I checked out that other Steeler Forum and your right.....it's nothing but a ghost town. That's what happens when you have a guy with scrambled egg brains running the place with a bunch of bootlickers following him.

Which one? A lot of the old school, formerly popular Steelers boards are gone or trashed, caused by some serious megalomaniacs.

hawaiiansteel
08-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Which one? A lot of the old school, formerly popular Steelers boards are gone or trashed, caused by some serious megalomaniacs.

you use a very accurate word to describe exactly what happened, although I would rather not use the name of the site it was ruined by one megalomaniac in particular who took himself too seriously and got carried away with his "supposed" power and knowledge. it used to be an okay place to discuss Steelers stuff at, now because of him they are lucky to get one post a day there.

sometimes in the heat of the discussion or while debating someone with an opposing viewpoint it's easy to forget that we all have something very big in common that unites us and that is we are all Pittsburgh Steelers fans. we should always respect each other for that very reason alone but unfortunately there always seems to be that occasional guy who forgets that fact...

fezziwig
08-16-2012, 07:39 PM
I don't want to name the site because the mod over there lurks over here and if somethig would be said he would throw his tanrums. I agree with Hawain, megolomaniacs is a good description. Plus just not being wrapped very tight.

steelz09
08-17-2012, 09:56 AM
I'm confused on why people think Dwyer is a lock to make this team over Batch. What has Dwyer done to prove his worth over Batch?

feltdizz
08-17-2012, 10:58 AM
I'm confused on why people think Dwyer is a lock to make this team over Batch. What has Dwyer done to prove his worth over Batch?

he ran through a huge hole a few times... and he was awesome in college. That is all...

Batch hasn't even done that much yet though.... we will see in a few who really has the stuff.

Captain Lemming
08-17-2012, 11:11 AM

Dwyer has actually done things on the football field.
He is however no match for Batch when it comes to making Steeler nation fall in love with him on Twitter. :)

Steeler fans LOVE the overachiever who comes in with little fanfare but works hard to make it against the odds.
The Rocky Bliers, the Jerry Os, a Hines Ward. Look at all the Redman love over Mendy
Batch sounds like that guy if he makes it.
He "says" all the right things and works hard.

Dwyer is just the opposite, perceived as a lazy underachiever.

But realty it that to this point, Dwyer has shown "some" ability to tote the rock at the NFL level.

Batch has not.

Dwyer might not be a "lock" but if cuts were tomorrow, I guaranty you he makes the team.
Not so sure about Batch.

At this point I would say that Batch and Clay are fighting for the last RB spot and Dwyer is in a pretty good place.

hawaiiansteel
08-17-2012, 02:13 PM
At this point I would say that Batch and Clay are fighting for the last RB spot and Dwyer is in a pretty good place.

John Clay has already been waived by the Steelers and former Illinois RB Jason Ford was signed to fill his roster spot.

I think Redman, Batch, Rainey and Dwyer are the 4 RBs who make the 53-man roster while Mendy remains on the PUP list for the first 6 games of the season.

lloydroid
08-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Dwyer has proven more than Batch; BB has done nothing but fall into the LOS for no gain. He has done nothing but that. JD also had an explosive college reel. I feel if JD is given the carries, he will prove to be better than RM has. At least he doesn't hesitate at the LOS every freakin play.

lloydroid
08-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Was one of the megalomaniacs from the old site the guy who claimed to hook up with Asians, etc?

hawaiiansteel
08-18-2012, 01:08 AM
Was one of the megalomaniacs from the old site the guy who claimed to hook up with Asians, etc?

yes, looks like you know exactly who I was referring to...:Cheers

8467thekraken
08-18-2012, 05:29 AM
With Mendenhall activated, it looks like it will be him, Redman, Dwyer and Rainey.

One more year on the PS, Batch.

Slapstick
08-18-2012, 07:24 AM
With Mendenhall activated, it looks like it will be him, Redman, Dwyer and Rainey.

The Steelers haven't even played the second preseason game...

steelfin
08-18-2012, 10:49 AM

Barring additional injuries or a superman performance by Batch in the remaining 3 games....I believe you are correct.

hawaiiansteel
08-18-2012, 02:41 PM

perhaps, but I can envision Baron Batch as a future type of Mewelde Moore back for us...

lloydroid
08-18-2012, 03:31 PM
yes, looks like you know exactly who I was referring to...:Cheers

Dude, I remember you, as not all that many posting on Steelers' boards live in Hawaii, one would think. That board was ONE of the nuttiest I had ever seen. The one I am thinking of was actually shut down, by the mod if I recall. The level of people trying to sell fake lives....well, maybe there wasn't that many doing it, maybe it was just one dude but it was extreme. Remember when two dudes supposedly met and they had this super elaborate story and discussion about their meeting and they claimed they "didn't take a picture, because, who does that?" at which time others pointed out that in this day and age, with cell cameras and facebook, that EVERYONE takes pictures when they meet? That was one odd board. And what was the other one, back in the day, that had more personal arguments than it did posts on football? It was crammed full of "You suck your dad, blah, blah, blah" if they disagreed with a football point? I don't even recall, but that place turned into a ghost town as well. Oh yea, and the one I was referring to had a prominent male nurse poster who lived on the west coast. Is that dude on here?

hawaiiansteel
08-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Dude, I remember you, as not all that many posting on Steelers' boards live in Hawaii, one would think. That board was ONE of the nuttiest I had ever seen. The one I am thinking of was actually shut down, by the mod if I recall. The level of people trying to sell fake lives....well, maybe there wasn't that many doing it, maybe it was just one dude but it was extreme. Remember when two dudes supposedly met and they had this super elaborate story and discussion about their meeting and they claimed they "didn't take a picture, because, who does that?" at which time others pointed out that in this day and age, with cell cameras and facebook, that EVERYONE takes pictures when they meet? That was one odd board. And what was the other one, back in the day, that had more personal arguments than it did posts on football? It was crammed full of "You suck your dad, blah, blah, blah" if they disagreed with a football point? I don't even recall, but that place turned into a ghost town as well. Oh yea, and the one I was referring to had a prominent male nurse poster who lived on the west coast. Is that dude on here?

that's funny, what a small world.

did you ever post on the message board from the old Trib days? that was like living in the Wild Wild West. that board pretty much had a personal argument about every other post.

the craziest and wildest one that I know of today is StillerNation, those guys are out of control and anything goes there. not my cup of tea, I don't mind the occasional argument but to swear at and insult each other constantly grows old pretty quickly.

and no the guy you're referring to doesn't post here, probably not enough drama for his taste. this board is by far the best one I've ever posted on IMHO. the owner is a great guy who is very helpful when something goes wrong and the mods are very cool and fair. discussions here can become heated but for the most part everyone is pretty respectful of each other.

Captain Lemming
08-18-2012, 10:05 PM

did you ever post on the message board from the old Trib days? that was like living in the Wild Wild West. that board pretty much had a personal argument about every other post.

the craziest and wildest one that I know of today is StillerNation, those guys are out of control and anything goes there. not my cup of tea, I don't mind the occasional argument but to swear at and insult each other constantly grows old pretty quickly.

and no the guy you're referring to doesn't post here, probably not enough drama for his taste. this board is by far the best one I've ever posted on IMHO. the owner is a great guy who is very helpful when something goes wrong and the mods are very cool and fair. discussions here can become heated but for the most part everyone is pretty respectful of each other.

Only someone as clueless as you would say something so stupid. ;-)

hawaiiansteel
08-18-2012, 10:42 PM
Only someone as clueless as you would say something so stupid. ;-)

why thank you! :D :Boobs

so howz things in Idaho?

lloydroid
08-19-2012, 04:52 PM

I don't believe I posted on Trib board. And, yea, when the board is more about inane insults than chatting about football, what's the point? That one dude - with the bike/azzzzins - life was about posting on that board. Strange. I never figured out who was real, who was an alias, etc., nor did I really care. It seems like most of the "extreme" boards are gone. I also don't dig the "over-moderated" boards where mods move every single topic that isn't 100% just on the Steelers. I feel other teams ARE part of the Steelers story since we might have to beat them at some point. Isn't it all relative? I mean, I feel any team who is possibly contending is part of the overall scene.

hawaiiansteel
08-19-2012, 06:58 PM
I also don't dig the "over-moderated" boards where mods move every single topic that isn't 100% just on the Steelers.

I completely agree.

the reason that i left the other board that fezz and i used to post on was because i posted an article about who the Steelers were expected to draft and it got moved immediately to "The Draft Room". I can understand a board wishing to compartmentalize subject matter but my point to the mods was that this article was definitely Steelers related (actually had the word "Steelers" in the title) and would invite a lot more discussion on the main Steelers page than in the Draft Room that no one ever visited or posted in.

the one megalomaniac mod i referred to in an earlier post responded with a "well, that's how it is here and if you don't like it there are other boards and if you decide to leave you will regret it" and that's all i needed to hear to take him up on his invitation. needless to say, i have never regretted leaving that board and coming to this one, as my over 10,000 posts here will attest.

Captain Crunch
08-20-2012, 09:50 AM
The way things are going with our RB situation... Dwyer may have to be the best RB we have... He didn't hurt himself last night with 5 yard average. Just hope he has turned the corner... I think him and Redman could take over a close game in the 4th... something we didn't have under BA.

flippy
08-20-2012, 10:13 AM
I'm coming around on Dwyer. He's surprised me.

We should nickname his Moses. Cause every time he touches the ball, the Red Sea of Defenders part. I swear I've never seen a RB get the kind of blocking that Dwyer does.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-20-2012, 10:50 AM
The run by Dwyer last night that impressed me the most was probably his first run. He was first met at the LOS and stiffed that tackler. He was met again and the same and was brought down for a three yard gain by the third tackler. I think that it has been too long watching our RBs get tackled by the first defender to touch them.

Oviedo
08-20-2012, 10:52 AM
I'm coming around on Dwyer. He's surprised me.

We should nickname his Moses. Cause every time he touches the ball, the Red Sea of Defenders part. I swear I've never seen a RB get the kind of blocking that Dwyer does.

Maybe Dwyer's instincts and ability to read his blockers and time his moves just makes it look like that?

flippy
08-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Maybe Dwyer's instincts and ability to read his blockers and time his moves just makes it look like that?

Probably true. It has to have something to do with him because it doesn't happen for the others.

Or we call different plays?

phillyesq
08-20-2012, 10:55 AM

Yeah, he did a nice job finding the hole on his big run to the left last night. He seems to have some natural instincts and ability. The big question is whether he can give consistent effort, stay healthy, and demonstrate consistency.

D Rock
08-20-2012, 10:59 AM
I completely agree.

the reason that i left the other board that fezz and i used to post on was because i posted an article about who the Steelers were expected to draft and it got moved immediately to "The Draft Room". I can understand a board wishing to compartmentalize subject matter but my point to the mods was that this article was definitely Steelers related (actually had the word "Steelers" in the title) and would invite a lot more discussion on the main Steelers page than in the Draft Room that no one ever visited or posted in.

the one megalomaniac mod i referred to in an earlier post responded with a "well, that's how it is here and if you don't like it there are other boards and if you decide to leave you will regret it" and that's all i needed to hear to take him up on his invitation. needless to say, i have never regretted leaving that board and coming to this one, as my over 10,000 posts here will attest.

I don't know how he finds them all, but Hawaiian has managed to post over 10,650 articles here!

flippy
08-20-2012, 11:06 AM
I don't know how he finds them all, but Hawaiian has managed to post over 10,650 articles here!

He'd be able to post more if some other site that shall never be named or visited wasn't run by such a douche.

lloydroid
08-20-2012, 02:04 PM

Ding, ding, ding, ding. He has natural runner's instincts, with good timing. That's why I have been saying he could be our best back for 3 years now. Mendenhall simply stutter steps, delays and spins too much. Dwyer hits the damn hole. Redman is just too slow for an every down back. I like him, but not for 25 carries, more like 7-8.

lloydroid
08-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Yeah, he did a nice job finding the hole on his big run to the left last night. He seems to have some natural instincts and ability. The big question is whether he can give consistent effort, stay healthy, and demonstrate consistency.

If he is ever going to do it, this is his year. He came in 20 lbs lighter than usual, and the stars have aligned with RM being out and Redman being dinged early (and I predict he will be dinged enough most of the year that JD will have the carries he needs to prove himself.)

Oviedo
08-20-2012, 03:12 PM
Ding, ding, ding, ding. He has natural runner's instincts, with good timing. That's why I have been saying he could be our best back for 3 years now. Mendenhall simply stutter steps, delays and spins too much. Dwyer hits the damn hole. Redman is just too slow for an every down back. I like him, but not for 25 carries, more like 7-8.

I agree about Redman...good #2 but not a #1.

IMO the difference between Dwyer hitting the hole and Mendy stutter stepping is that we are actually seeing holes now with Foster and Kemo being replaced at the OG position. The interior of our OL is actually getting push now versus getting stood up at the LOS.

feltdizz
08-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Mendenhall is still the best back and will get huge gains if this OL opens some holes...

I was pleased with what I saw from Dwyer but ripping off a few good runs vs the Colts in preseason isn't enough to call him the best RB on the roster.

If he can do it against the first team in the regular season then I will be convinced he has turned a corner. I like what I'm seeing though...

lloydroid
08-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Mendenhall is still the best back and will get huge gains if this OL opens some holes...

I was pleased with what I saw from Dwyer but ripping off a few good runs vs the Colts in preseason isn't enough to call him the best RB on the roster.

If he can do it against the first team in the regular season then I will be convinced he has turned a corner. I like what I'm seeing though...

I am not saying it's PROVEN JD is out best back yet, I am PREDICTING that he will be. He has "it" - whatever you want to call "it." As long as he is past being lazy, he will rock this league. Pgh is going to be quite formidable with this OL (eventually, wait until Starks is playing), JD and Rainey, Brown, Sanders, Wallace (eventually). Look out.

feltdizz
08-20-2012, 04:22 PM
yeah....

I need to see Dwyer against the Ravens.. and the Bengals and other opponents who play the run well. Not saying he can't keep this up but a lot of his great runs have been against subpar talent. I'm not mad at what he is doing though... big gains against 2nd stringers is a good sign.

Shoe
08-20-2012, 04:41 PM
The run by Dwyer last night that impressed me the most was probably his first run. He was first met at the LOS and stiffed that tackler. He was met again and the same and was brought down for a three yard gain by the third tackler. I think that it has been too long watching our RBs get tackled by the first defender to touch them.

I agree, but (and I made the point last night on chat) there is a big difference between the 1st carry in the second preseason game of the year, and Week 10 of the regular season. It really takes a physically and mentally tough guy to play this position. Dwyer has clearly shown that he has the talent to make plays in the NFL. He has not shown me that he is tough enough for anything but a platoon role. I had hoped that Redman was, but this latest episode has me concerned.

I'm sure Dwyer can be effective in a platoon situation.

ikestops85
08-20-2012, 05:44 PM
I agree about Redman...good #2 but not a #1.

IMO the difference between Dwyer hitting the hole and Mendy stutter stepping is that we are actually seeing holes now with Foster and Kemo being replaced at the OG position. The interior of our OL is actually getting push now versus getting stood up at the LOS.

I think Redman will be a good 1a/1b back but he needs to split carries. This is the first game that Dwyer looked like he wanted to play football for the steelers. He really surprised me with how well he ran. He made some guys miss and he showed a lot of effort getting the extra yard or two. I'd love to see him step his game up to split the carries with Redman. I still think Mendy will take more time to heal both mentally and physically before he becomes productive again.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
08-20-2012, 11:38 PM
I agree, but (and I made the point last night on chat) there is a big difference between the 1st carry in the second preseason game of the year, and Week 10 of the regular season. It really takes a physically and mentally tough guy to play this position. Dwyer has clearly shown that he has the talent to make plays in the NFL. He has not shown me that he is tough enough for anything but a platoon role. I had hoped that Redman was, but this latest episode has me concerned.

I'm sure Dwyer can be effective in a platoon situation.

Agree that we still have a lot more to see, but his steps are in the right direction.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
08-21-2012, 09:56 AM
I'm thinking that having this argument about whom is better between Mendy, Redman, & Dwyer is a great problem to be arguing about. If they are all that close to each other...It only makes them & the Steelers better. Adding in the "change of pace" Rainman makes this a very good backfield.

A comment on Batch, he saw time earlier against the Colts with better OL. You have the like the kid and we are all pulling for him. He may need to sit on the PS and give him that full 18 month after injury to show who he is in 2013. I'm not righting him off but I don't think the real "Batch" is on the field. I get the feeling the Steelers are willing to give him that if he doesn't show before the PS ends.

Ford opened some eyes. The one thing you have to do with your opportunities in the preseason is make yourself memorable. In one game Ford did that. So he might see the field earlier to better evaluated. Batch's hustle and downfield block on AB's TD catch is an "adda boy" but that is not where you make your mark as a RB. Ford is the guy who will now push Batch if the Steelers decide to go with 3 active RBs & Rainey until Mendy is ready. The two will be trying to make their mark on ST because that may be the deciding factor when all is said and done.

feltdizz
08-21-2012, 10:01 AM
I'm thinking that having this argument about whom is better between Mendy, Redman, & Dwyer is a great problem to be arguing about. If they are all that close to each other...It only makes them & the Steelers better. Adding in the "change of pace" Rainman makes this a very good backfield.

A comment on Batch, he saw time earlier against the Colts with better OL. You have the like the kid and we are all pulling for him. He may need to sit on the PS and give him that full 18 month after injury to show who he is in 2013. I'm not righting him off but I don't think the real "Batch" is on the field. I get the feeling the Steelers are willing to give him that if he doesn't show before the PS ends.

Ford opened some eyes. The one thing you have to do with your opportunities in the preseason is make yourself memorable. In one game Ford did that. So he might see the field earlier to better evaluated. Batch's hustle and downfield block on AB's TD catch is an "adda boy" but that is not where you make your mark as a RB. Ford is the guy who will now push Batch if the Steelers decide to go with 3 active RBs & Rainey until Mendy is ready. The two will be trying to make their mark on ST because that may be the deciding factor when all is said and done.

I hate to agree with Collinsworth but Ford DID look like Bettis on a few of those runs. I want to see more of him as well. I would love to have a RB by committee and just punish teams all game with fresh legs.

I'm very concerned with Redman... I hope he is healthy by week 1.

aggiebones
08-21-2012, 11:38 AM
When he was a no.1 in our last playoff game, did he play like a no.1? Go back and watch the game if you said no. He is our no.1 and will be so til Mendy comes back and then he will be 50% no.1. If Mendy gets back to real form late in the year, he could assume complete control of the position again. We'll see.
Dwyer looked great for 2-3 minutes. Ran hard and then CLEARLY looked tired.
Frankly, they need to give him an entire half to see how he does. We cannot rely on Batch or Rainey, so force feed Dwyer to see if he can be a legit backup in case Redman does go down in the first 4-6 games. Right now, I'm not at all convinced. He's a bad blocker on 80-90% of his plays. And he runs hard for short bursts of the game, shutting down for long periods of activity. He sees a big hole and he gets through it nicely, but its the rest of the time that he is ****e.

Oviedo
08-21-2012, 12:38 PM
I hate to agree with Collinsworth but Ford DID look like Bettis on a few of those runs. I want to see more of him as well. I would love to have a RB by committee and just punish teams all game with fresh legs.

I'm very concerned with Redman... I hope he is healthy by week 1.

I'm concerend that he will be hurt repeatedly this season.

Shawn
08-21-2012, 12:45 PM
I would settle for one back that isn't glass break fragile.

hawaiiansteel
08-21-2012, 04:56 PM
Steelers RB Dwyer providing stability in backfield

UPDATED AUG 21, 2012

PITTSBURGH (AP)
Pittsburgh Steelers running back Jonathan Dwyer has given the team's injury riddled backfield some needed stability during preseason.

The former Georgia Tech star ran for 43 yards on eight carries against the Indianapolis Colts' first-string defense in a 26-24 victory on Sunday night, cutting decisively between the tackles while looking comfortable in a featured role.

Dwyer leads the Steelers in rushing during the preseason while filling in for injured starters Rashard Mendenhall and Isaac Redman. Mendenhall is out indefinitely as he recovers from offseason knee surgery while Redman has been slowed by a hip problem.

That's left Dwyer to take most of the snaps with the first team as the Steelers try to adjust to new offensive coordinator Todd Haley's system, which is more run-heavy than one used by former Steelers coordinator Bruce Arians.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_rb_dwyer_providing_stability_in_backfield/11513125

lloydroid
08-21-2012, 06:37 PM
I think Redman will be a good 1a/1b back but he needs to split carries. This is the first game that Dwyer looked like he wanted to play football for the steelers. He really surprised me with how well he ran. He made some guys miss and he showed a lot of effort getting the extra yard or two. I'd love to see him step his game up to split the carries with Redman. I still think Mendy will take more time to heal both mentally and physically before he becomes productive again.

There is a reason ACL injuries require OVER a year to heal, some say not until year 2 do you really come back. I just don't see RM being able to offer much, and I really didn't like what he had to offer when he was healthy. I think him being out will be addition through subtraction.

lloydroid
08-21-2012, 06:46 PM
I completely agree.

That's exactly right. Unless there are so many new posts that you can't wade through them to find what you want (that never happens any more; I can't say I have seen a case of that in, like ever?) it is stupid to move Steelers related stuff to a board where there is zero traffic. And, that is exactly how I feel topics on the draft fit in: don't treat them like they are a post about baking cookies or something. Posting on the draft, including stuff on what other teams might take is DAMN CLOSE ENOUGH. Almost always, each site has one active page and the rest are ghost towns. So, moving posts about the draft and other teams is just nutty to me. Only if the main page is being inundated with new posts does that make sense.
I like when mods moderate their boards into ghost towns. Brilliant.

fezziwig
08-21-2012, 11:27 PM
I'm not sure what mod gave hawaiin a bad time but the head mod over there is a real piece of work. The others have now been sucking down his root juice and are not far behind his childlike ways. What got me in dutch with that site was, a new poster came to the site thinking he could have an original thought or better yet, say something that didn't agree with the mods way of thinking so he got insulted, told off, many names tossed at him. I stood up for him and that was the begining of the end for me.
I then had the target on my back and when I defended myself I, was a trouble maker I, was the one who's causing the trouble. They would tell me if I didn't like it there, go to Planet as if it was to be punishment on me. I stuck around a little bit just to tick them off. There are a couple of nice posters over there but for the most part, bootlickers.
Here's an example on what can get you insulted and threatened to be tossed from the site.
" What's with Mendy, some games he looks good and other times he looks like he doesn't even try. " Their response: "We don't need any of this negative talk around here, you want that go to the planet ! " Plus a bunch of insult from the mods as they gang up on you.
Oh yeah, their head mod lurks here on this site. Probably to come up with ideas to speak about over there.
Hawaiin is correct, it is a ghost town of a site. Heck, the ghost don't even hang out there, no one to haunt.

fordfixer
08-22-2012, 02:45 AM
Steelers looking for help at RB
August 22, 2012
The Altoona Mirror
http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/563584/Steelers-looking-for-help-at-RB.html?nav=751

PITTSBURGH - There is nothing imposing about Jonathan Dwyer. No flash. No ankle-breaking open field moves.

That isn't the way the third-year Pittsburgh Steelers running back operates. He is more direct than dazzling. Get the ball. Pick a hole. Go. Repeat.

No wonder Dwyer has looked so comfortable in no-nonsense offensive coordinator Todd Haley's new system. With Rashard Mendenhall still rehabbing a surgically repaired knee, and Isaac Redman nursing a hip injury, the Steelers have turned to the soft-spoken Dwyer to provide the thump in the running game during the preseason.

So far, so good. Dwyer has 83 yards on 10 carries through two games, including 43 yards while working with the first team in a 26-24 win over Indianapolis on Sunday night. The performance was typical Dwyer. He never made it outside the tackles while gashing the middle of the Colts defense.

"I just want to contribute," Dwyer said.

Given the way the Steelers expect to run the ball with Haley calling the plays, he will almost certainly get a shot even after the regulars are ready to go.

Pittsburgh parted ways with former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians in the offseason and turned to Haley to restore a little grit to a unit that struggled to move the ball on the ground at crucial times in recent years.

The Steelers haven't finished in the top five in the NFL in rushing touchdowns since Jerome Bettis retired following the 2005 season, instead relying more and more on quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's arm.

While the two-time Super Bowl winner remains among the league's elite, he has also taken a beating the last few seasons. He missed one game last year and was slowed in several others due to a left ankle injury. The Steelers invested in upgrading the offensive line during the offseason, drafting Stanford guard David DeCastro in the first round, and former Ohio State tackle Mike Adams in the second. They have even added a full-time fullback to the mix, something missing the last several seasons as the Steelers worked out of a one-back set.

The goal is to take some of the heat off Roethlisberger and put pressure on opposing defenses by coming at them relentlessly with the ground game. It worked wonders for Haley in Kansas City in 2010, when the then-Chiefs head coach rode the legs of Thomas Jones and Jamaal Charles to an unlikely AFC West title.

Haley would love to get similar production from a talented - if injury riddled - stable of backs in Pittsburgh.

"If we can win every game running it 35-40 times, that would be great," Haley said. "Statistically, if you hand the ball off 30-plus times in a game, you've got a 90-plus percent chance of winning."

Meaning there should be plenty of carries to go around even after Mendenhall and Redman return. Dwyer has certainly looked the part during his limited reps during his first two seasons. He ripped of a memorable 76-yard run in a win over Tennessee last fall before a broken bone in his left foot ended his season.

He pledged to get in better shape for camp and did it by getting serious about his conditioning.

It was never a problem during his phenomenal career at Georgia Tech, when he rushed for 3,226 yards in three memorable seasons playing in the Yellow Jackets' unique flexbone offense.

It was during his first two years in Pittsburgh, when he carried the ball all of 25 times. Compare that to his final year at Georgia Tech when he had 235 carries in 13 games.

The Steelers saw enough to take him in the sixth round of the 2010 draft, and he has spent the last two summers trying to prove he is not just a product of Georgia Tech's run-heavy system.

"That's what you're always trying to do," Dwyer said. "I want to be the best there is, just like everybody else in this locker room."

Dwyer has already made a convert out of Pittsburgh's offensive linemen, who view his straightforward approach as a blessing of sorts.

"He makes a decision and he sticks with it," tackle Max Starks said. "You don't want guys dancing or always thinking about cutting back the entire time. He makes his one cut and he gets north and south. You want that because it makes it easier for us."

Don't get Starks or Haley wrong. The Steelers aren't trying to turn the clock back 40 years. Haley doesn't need the running game to be groundbreaking, just effective. This is the same coach, after all, who let Kurt Warner throw it 598 times in 2008 while calling the plays for the Arizona Cardinals.

Roethlisberger will get a chance to turn it loose every once in a while.

"I would think that one of our strengths is versatility," Haley said. "You don't want to do a lot of things just OK. You'd like to do some things real good. I think with some of the ability we have, and if our line continues to gel together and gets better every week, we have a chance to be a pretty versatile group that can hurt you in a number of ways."

Dwyer simply hopes he is one of them.

"I just want to help us get to New Orleans and get that seventh ring," he said.

Oviedo
08-22-2012, 07:49 AM
Dwyer has already made a convert out of Pittsburgh's offensive linemen, who view his straightforward approach as a blessing of sorts.

"He makes a decision and he sticks with it," tackle Max Starks said. "You don't want guys dancing or always thinking about cutting back the entire time. He makes his one cut and he gets north and south. You want that because it makes it easier for us."

It's called being an instictive runner and Dwyer may be the best we have has since Bettis. He still has to translate that into production but if he can stay healthy and stay on top of his fitness I think we have a very good RB.

Shoe
08-22-2012, 12:55 PM
I would liken Dwyer to Beanie Wells. Guys with oodles of talent, but don't have the toughness that it takes to rely on (other than in a platoon).

hawaiiansteel
08-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Steelers Injury News: RB Isaac Redman Will Start Saturday Vs. Bills

by Neal Coolong on Aug 24, 2012

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/5155177/121364922_extra_large.jpg

Steelers RB Isaac Redman, who's been hampered by an injured hip, will start Saturday's game against the Bills in Buffalo.

Redman, who mentioned recently the injury won't prevent him from playing but likely will nag him throughout the season, did not play in the Steelers' 26-24 preseason win over Indianapolis Aug. 19. His return is something of a relief for the Steelers, who have had several injuries among running backs this preseason.

Rashard Mendenhall was removed from the PUP list, and has practiced lightly, but it's unlikely he'll play in either of the Steelers' remaining two preseason games. John Clay tore a quadriceps muscle, and was placed on the IR earlier in camp.

The Steelers' starters will play the first half Saturday, and Redman should get the bulk of the carries. RB Jonathan Dwyer is Redman's main back-up and has been impressive through two preseason games. How offensive coordinator Todd Haley rotates the two of them with the starting unit will be something to watch, as well as how each of them is used, both running and receiving.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/8/24/3265005/steelers-injury-news-updates-preseason-bills-isaac-redman-jonathan-dwyer

aggiebones
08-25-2012, 12:25 PM
Show a LB bounce off Dwyer before comparing him to Bettis. That's embarrassing.
Dwyer hits an open hole nice. But if there is congestion at all, he rolls into the fetal position almost every time.

The regular season holes will be alot smaller than against the horrific run defense of the current Colts.

hawaiiansteel
08-26-2012, 02:33 PM
by Ed Bouchette

Sunday Aug. 26, 2012

--- Every game Jonathan Dwyer looks as though he can be something special at running back. He did not show it so much running the ball in Buffalo, but catching them. he had three receptions for 48 yards including his big 33-yarder along the left sideline on third down from the three that kick-started the 98-yard drive.

“That was a big time play, now,’’ Haley said. “He didn’t get as many opportunities running as in other weeks but that was a big-time play when we needed it. Because that’s the game, really. If that was a real game and you convert coming out of there and going 98 yards and they’re burning their timeouts? That was a big play when you needed it most. Anytime you have a guy who does that, that’s a real good sign.”

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117769-ed-leftwich-as-good-as-no-2-gets