PDA

View Full Version : Starkey: Steelers need Mike Wallace

hawaiiansteel
08-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Starkey: Steelers need Wallace

By Joe Starkey
Published: Sunday, August 5, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=FzkGm nBS2sY2pxP3wx2TJc$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYv192v$1iTnzvz 5aNQDeH8GWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

You can call Mike Wallace delusional, selfish, greedy and flat-out wrong.

You might have pumped your fists and cheered when the Steelers signed their other top receiver instead of Wallace.

Maybe you laughed at him then the Steelers flashed their might in that over-the-top news conference for Antonio Brown (how come LaMarr Woodley didn’t get a news conference when he signed a big deal at last year’s camp?)

You can talk about how nobody stares down the Steelers and lives to tell about it, and you might be justified in all of that.

But don’t forget this: The Steelers need Mike Wallace more than he needs them.

The team might be absolutely correct in its assessment of Wallace’s value. But if it loses his services for a significant portion of the season or is forced to trade him, it doesn’t “win.” That said, I don’t blame either side so far.

The Steelers, who are incredibly good at appraising talent, don’t want to pay a player significantly more than what they think he is worth. Nor should they have to.

Wallace doesn’t want to surrender the prime earning years of his career for significantly less than what he thinks they are worth. Nor should he have to.

Clearly, Wallace also is balking at the idea of risking his body on a one-year salary that is absurdly low given his resume. That would be the tender of $2.742 million. The Steelers are telling him he needs to sign it and show up for camp before they reopen negotiations.

Wallace essentially is saying, “No thanks,” and likely has noticed that several players around the NFL already have been injured at training camp.

Contrary to popular belief, Wallace still has plenty of leverage. He can miss 10 games and still accrue a year’s service and thus attain unrestricted free-agent status after the season. In other words, he could make a little less than $1 million for playing six games and then hit the open market -- though the Steelers could prevent that by placing the franchise tag on Wallace. They could do it the year after, as well. It would come at a hefty price, likely around $10 million per year, but it is a leverage point in their favor.

And if you think missing those 10 games would crush his market value, consider the case of Tampa Bay receiver Vincent Jackson, who recently signed a five-year, $55.55 million free-agent deal that included $26 million guaranteed.

You tell me: If a 29-year-old lesser player than Wallace, one whose history includes all kinds of legal issues, a three-game, NFL-imposed suspension and a 10-game holdout can score that kind of contract, what could an unscathed 26-year-old Wallace get?

Yeah, that’s what Wallace likely is thinking, too.

The other fact that somehow gets lost in all this is that Wallace is really good. A game-changer, actually.

I keep hearing that he is a “one-trick pony,” which I guess is true if the trick is catching lots of passes for lots of yards and lots of touchdowns.

Everybody knows about Wallace’s crazy speed. He’s also highly productive and durable. He has never missed a game.

As a story on Grantland.com pointed out, the only receivers in the past 30 years who’ve had more yards and touchdowns than Wallace in their first three seasons were Randy Moss and Jerry Rice.

Here are Wallace’s first three seasons compared to Larry Fitzgerald’s:

• Fitzgerald: 230 catches, 3,135 yards, 24 touchdowns.

• Wallace: 171 catches, 3,206 yards, 24 touchdowns.

Am I suggesting that Wallace is as good as Rice, Moss or Fitzgerald and deserves a Fitzgerald-like $128 million contract?

Absolutely not. I’m just saying he puts up awfully nice numbers for a one-trick pony — and those numbers can’t measure the space he creates for others by virtue of his blazing speed.

I’m guessing new offensive coordinator Todd Haley’s playbook would need significant revisions if the most dangerous deep threat in the NFL doesn’t show up.

So, if Wallace is that good, why didn’t he get an offer sheet, as was widely predicted?

That’s a great question, one I’m sure the players’ union would love to tackle, if it hasn’t already.

That question could lead us to speculating on the possibility of collusion among NFL teams. We’d have to ask a bunch of them why they wouldn’t surrender the relatively small price of a first-round pick — and harm the Steelers — for a receiver with comparable first-three-year numbers to Fitzgerald.

Was Wallace asking for too much money?

Maybe. And maybe he still is. If his demands are ridiculous, the Steelers shouldn’t flinch. They should stay the course.

Just don’t confuse that with “winning.”

They need Mike Wallace.

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=zK$zw 9kRfOmNwVYN6hRfX8$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYuoXqq5nf76NIM fv$KsBjbgWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2321087-85/wallace-steelers-million-starkey-fitzgerald-game-leverage-mike-nfl-receiver

skyhawk
08-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Good article. I agree.

Eddie Spaghetti
08-06-2012, 09:03 PM
calling wallace a "one trick pony" is just a step or so away from saying "all he does is catch touchdowns".

I bet tomlin regrets giving wallace that label.

very fair article.

Slapstick
08-06-2012, 11:11 PM
Big difference between Jackson and Wallace...

Jackson held out for 10 games in 2010...

In 2011, he caught 60 passes for 1100+ yards and 9 TDs...that's not "less" production than Mike Wallace, that's very comparable...

If Wallace holds out for 10 games, he won't sniff the field at all...his last 8 games will be 393 yards and 3 TDs...

If you don't think that will hurt him at the negotiating table, you are crazy...

ter1230_4
08-07-2012, 04:02 AM
"The Steelers need Mike Wallace more than he needs them." Wrong! Wallace doesn't have nearly the talent of a Fitzgerald or a Calvin Johnson, and if he goes to a team with a mediocre QB he will put up mediocre numbers. He is a restricted free agent, the only one in the entire NFL this year who has refused to sign his tender. Would it be nice to have Wallace this year? Sure, but the Pittsburgh Steelers are a lot bigger than Mike Wallace, who is showing that he is a selfish asswipe.

Oviedo
08-07-2012, 05:10 AM
Big difference between Jackson and Wallace...

Jackson held out for 10 games in 2010...

In 2011, he caught 60 passes for 1100+ yards and 9 TDs...that's not "less" production than Mike Wallace, that's very comparable...

If Wallace holds out for 10 games, he won't sniff the field at all...his last 8 games will be 393 yards and 3 TDs...

If you don't think that will hurt him at the negotiating table, you are crazy...

The Chargers also did not have Antonio Brown, Manny Sanders or Jericho Cotchery as a part of their WR corps. Of course the Steelers are better with Wallace, but Wallace has to want to be here. I'm not really sure that's the case. IMO he has a real issue with all the attention and "love" that Brown has been getting going back to his slump at the end of last season.

Shawn
08-07-2012, 08:57 AM
The Steelers won before Mike Wallace and will win again without Mike. I don't see this ending with Mike in the BnG.

flippy
08-07-2012, 09:27 AM
If we want a fair and balanced article, let's include Wally's playoff stats in this discussion.

phillyesq
08-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Good article from Starkey.

It's not even a question that the Steelers are a better team with Mike Wallace. A group of Wallace-Brown-Sanders-Cotchery is much better than Brown-Sanders-Cotchery-Maze/Clemons/Williams. It's not even close. Without Wallce, they are one Sanders injury away from starting Brown and Cotchery with a bunch of nothing. Not exactly the weapons you want to give Ben.

Between having Wallace and not having him, I'd absolutely prefer to have him on the Steelers. The contract has to be reasonable, and part of that falls on Wallace. If this does end with him leaving, the Steelers need to get value. They need to franchise him and trade him for at least a second round pick.

feltdizz
08-07-2012, 09:57 AM
The real question is "how much worse are we without him?"

Captain Lemming
08-07-2012, 11:29 AM

Exactly.

He makes us better sure.
But the question is: Does he make us better than we would be making the sacrifices to the team necessary to support the salary he could get elsewhere?
I submit that we would throw the salary balance off doing that.

Larry Fitzs team has a great receiver, but they aint getting no rings anytime soon.

The Giants the Pats? They did not have all there money tied up in one receiver. Look where it got them.

aggiebones
08-07-2012, 12:26 PM
False accusations about collusion to sell his article. BS
We already have gone through this.
NOONE wanted to OVERpay him and ALSO give up a 1st rounder. Yet that is the only way it gets done.

If they try to sign him to a legit contract, the Steelers would say thanks for doing our homework for us. Everyone knew they had a number in their heads that was worth letting him go to get the first rounder. Noone wanted to do the work for the Steelers or overpay.

lloydroid
08-07-2012, 02:13 PM
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. None of it matters. He will be in camp soon. There is no way in hell it makes sense for him to hold out and miss games. It's not going to happen. He will be there. I pay zero attention to any news/talk of Wallace not being there. It's just a waste of time.

Decleater
08-07-2012, 03:50 PM
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. None of it matters. He will be in camp soon. There is no way in hell it makes sense for him to hold out and miss games. It's not going to happen. He will be there. I pay zero attention to any news/talk of Wallace not being there. It's just a waste of time.I don't see MW reporting for work until practice begins for the first game of the season against the Broncos. I hope he does come in sooner though. The 'team' does need him.

phillyesq
08-07-2012, 04:09 PM

This year in particular? Significantly. Sanders has not proven that he is durable, and the Steelers are one Sanders injury away from not having a proven #3 WR.

RuthlessBurgher
08-07-2012, 04:29 PM
The Giants the Pats? They did not have all there money tied up in one receiver. Look where it got them.

New England is paying Welker $9.5 million this season.

The Giants will be in the exact same boat with Nicks and Cruz and the Steelers are with Wallace and Brown.

Nicks has been in the NFL for 3 years and has 202 catches for 3034 yards and 24 TD's. He signed a 5 year deal as a 1st round pick.
Wallace has been in the NFL for 3 years and has 171 catches for 3206 yards and 24 TD's. He signed a 3 year deal as a 3rd round pick.

Cruz broke out in his 2nd NFL season with 82 catches for 1536 yards and 9 TD's. He'll be an RFA next year.
Brown broke out in his 2nd NFL season with 69 catches for 1108 yards and 2 TD's. He would have been an RFA next year.

hawaiiansteel
08-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Source: Wallace not on trading block for Steelers

August 7, 2012
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://c4241337.r37.cf2.rackcdn.com/2012/219/999/mike-wallace_420.jpg

The Steelers do not expect Mike Wallace to report to training camp before they depart St. Vincent College Aug. 18, but they have no intention of trading their Pro Bowl wide receiver at any point this season, a team source told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Wallace has yet to sign a one-year tender worth $2.7 million and the Steelers have not heard from him since training camp began July 25. However, several players remain in contact with him.

The source also said the Steelers will wait several weeks before they decide if they need to sign a veteran free-agent receiver.

The Steelers feel as though they have been more than fair with Wallace because they did not rescind or reduce his one-year tender in June -- which they were entitled to do under the guidelines of the collective bargaining agreement.

But they told Wallace they will not have any further discussions on a potential long-term contract until he signs his tender and reports to the team.

The Steelers are not overly optimistic they can sign Wallace to a long-term deal, but he can still play for them this season and then be labeled a "franchise" or "transition" player in 2013.

Wallace's holdout has upset Coach Mike Tomlin, who is no longer supportive of his big-play receiver, a team source said.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/source-wallace-not-on-trading-block-for-steelers-647985/#ixzz22tg9PoE7

Captain Lemming
08-08-2012, 01:11 PM
New England is paying Welker $9.5 million this season.

Yes, and Fitz made DOUBLE THAT (40 mil over first 2 years).
If Wallace would go for $9.5 million there is no doubt he would be signed already. Heck Browns is gonna make 9 mil. The problem is that Wallace knows he can make WAY MORE elsewhere.
If Wallace wants to maximize his potential salary our choices are to spend a lopsided amount on one receiver because someone else will do just that.
I go back to Fitz. They went to the SB they had a far better set when they weren't overpaying a receiver. Now they have ONE elite receiver and will NEVER sniff a SB for the foreseeable future.

The Giants will be in the exact same boat with Nicks and Cruz and the Steelers are with Wallace and Brown. Nicks has been in the NFL for 3 years and has 202 catches for 3034 yards and 24 TD's. He signed a 5 year deal as a 1st round pick.
Wallace has been in the NFL for 3 years and has 171 catches for 3206 yards and 24 TD's. He signed a 3 year deal as a 3rd round pick.

Cruz broke out in his 2nd NFL season with 82 catches for 1536 yards and 9 TD's. He'll be an RFA next year.
Brown broke out in his 2nd NFL season with 69 catches for 1108 yards and 2 TD's. He would have been an RFA next year.

Yes, and they are DUMB is they overpay either of them. No receiver is worth the pay the elite receivers get. Both the Steelers and the Giants demonstrate that. It aint that hard to draft good young receivers. Burress was key to BOTH TEAMS and was replaced. Stonio is gone, replaced with the guy who some want to break the bank for.

You pay elite money to QBs, because great ones are hard to find. All you need are GOOD receivers not great and they are EVERYWHERE.

Sure with Wallace we are better if there is no cap. But the high-end salaries given to an elite receiver (over a hundred mil recently) can go a long way to keeping an elite TEAM intact.

We are gonna be a worse TEAM overall if Wallace gets elite money. NO RECEIVER is worth that much.

RuthlessBurgher
08-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Ray Rice wanted an Adrian Peterson like $100 million contract. He settled for roughly half that.

Wallace reported wants a Larry Fitzgerald like $100 million contract. He'll likely settle for about half that too.

These long term deals do not hinge on the total dollars over the life of the entire contract, or the average-per-year that we all automatically assign as soon as we see the contract parameters (because non-guaranteed base salaries a half-decade from now may not actually exist anymore). The kicker is always the signing bonus and other guaranteed dollars. Brown's deal was big, but it only had an $8.5 million signing bonus, which is quite modest in this market. If he doesn't live up to this contract over the coming seasons (not that I necessarily foresee that, but still...), he could easily be cut without a massive dead money hit on our cap. I predict that Wallace's ultimate deal will only be slightly more than Brown's in total dollars and average-per-year, but I think his signing bonus will be at least double and the total guaranteed money in Wallace's deal could be triple that. That would provide him the security that he would be looking for.

phillyesq
08-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Ray Rice wanted an Adrian Peterson like $100 million contract. He settled for roughly half that.

Wallace reported wants a Larry Fitzgerald like $100 million contract. He'll likely settle for about half that too.

These long term deals do not hinge on the total dollars over the life of the entire contract, or the average-per-year that we all automatically assign as soon as we see the contract parameters (because non-guaranteed base salaries a half-decade from now may not actually exist anymore). The kicker is always the signing bonus and other guaranteed dollars. Brown's deal was big, but it only had an $8.5 million signing bonus, which is quite modest in this market. If he doesn't live up to this contract over the coming seasons (not that I necessarily foresee that, but still...), he could easily be cut without a massive dead money hit on our cap. I predict that Wallace's ultimate deal will only be slightly more than Brown's in total dollars and average-per-year, but I think his signing bonus will be at least double and the total guaranteed money in Wallace's deal could be triple that. That would provide him the security that he would be looking for.

I think you are right on the money. Most of the big deals signed by WRs this year did not include a lot of guaranteed money or big signing bonuses. I though before that Wallace would sign for a deal similar to what Brown signed, but with more in guarantees. The Steelers can control Wallace for roughly 3 years at salaries of roughly $2.7, 10 and $12 million, with the option to ditch him at any time if they see fit. A 5 year deal with roughly $18-22 million guaranteed gives him more security with a similar payout.

hawaiiansteel
08-09-2012, 01:28 AM
With Wallace out, Sanders catching up

By Alan Robinson
Published: Thursday, August 9, 2012

Receiver Emmanuel Sanders still has some catching up to do.

He’d like to get a jump on it when the Steelers open their preseason schedule Thursday in Philadelphia. It will be one of those blink-and-they’re gone nights for the starters, but Sanders said every second on the field is important.

If only because, with the unsigned Mike Wallace still not in camp, Sanders is starting at the “X” position, which usually is manned by the top downfield threat. He also has moved up to No. 2 on quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s checkdown list, behind the newly rich Antonio Brown.

Be it only an exhibition game, but Sanders is replacing Wallace as a starter for the first time since Wallace’s contract dispute began.

“Unfortunately Mike isn’t here, and we want him here because I feel he’s a great asset to this receiving corps,” Sanders said. “But if he’s not here, it’s an opportunity for me to gain chemistry with Ben and prove that I can make plays out there.”

Sanders has done that at times during his first two seasons. He had a team-high six catches for 81 yards during the Steelers’ 29-23 playoff loss to Denver on Jan. 8.

Go back 21⁄2 years, and it was Sanders — not Brown — who would have been projected to be a starter by now and not just by default. Sanders, from SMU, was a third-round pick, while Brown, from Central Michigan, lasted until the Steelers’ second pick of the sixth round.

Predictably, Sanders’ rookie statistics (28 catches, 376 yards, two touchdowns) eclipsed Brown’s (16 catches, 167 yards, no TDs). But Sanders broke his right foot in the Super Bowl loss to Green Bay, then needed surgery on his left foot during the offseason.

Sanders missed five games to injury before finishing with 22 receptions for 288 yards and two touchdowns last season. With Sanders hurt part of the time and Wallace in a second-half slump, Brown broke through as Roethlisberger’s primary target, finishing with 69 catches for 1,108 yards and two touchdowns.

As a result, Brown, not Wallace or Sanders, signed a $42.5 million contract two weeks ago.

Motivated by his opportunity — and perhaps by the money Brown will make — Sanders is emerging during camp as more than just a complementary receiver. He caught four touchdown passes during practice Saturday, and it is becoming evident Roethlisberger is confident the ball will be caught if he throws it Sanders’ way.

“He’s starting to get comfortable with us, Antonio, Jerricho (Cotchery) and all of us,” Sanders said.

Roethlisberger, 30, is having a strong camp, and, according to Sanders, “Ben is starting to come into his prime.”

“We’re starting to definitely get a lot closer,” Sanders said. “It’s like a girlfriend-boyfriend relationship in some kind of weird way. But that’s how it is — you’ve got to have that chemistry, got to understand each other so you are on the same page.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2371934-85/sanders-brown-wallace-roethlisberger-yards-ben-catches-starting-camp-catching

Captain Lemming
08-09-2012, 02:06 AM

If he does, that would be great. I am all for signing the guy, but not NEAR what top receivers are paid.

[

hawaiiansteel
08-09-2012, 01:32 PM
If he does, that would be great. I am all for signing the guy, but not NEAR what top receivers are paid.

but herein lies the problem...

Mike Wallace does view himself as one of the top receivers in the NFL and wants to be paid as one.

RuthlessBurgher
08-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers
By Brian McIntyre
Around the League writer
Published: Aug. 9, 2012 at 10:34 a.m.
Updated: Aug. 9, 2012 at 12:33 p.m.

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace has yet to sign his restricted free agent tender. Wallace can no longer negotiate with other teams and the Steelers will not trade the deep-threat, leaving Wallace with just two options: Stay home or double his career earnings by signing the $2.742 million tender.

Former Steelers running back and Detroit native Jerome Bettis tells "NFL AM" that Wallace doesn't understand how the organization operates and that the best way to get a long-term deal would be to report to the team.

"I think when you go through the history of the Steelers, they do things a bit differently," Bettis said on Thursday. "And when you look at in relationship to their stars, they still stay one way. They're firm in their resolve and the way they do things. All you have to do is go back to Hines Ward.

"His situation, he had a holdout before his last contract. He wanted x-amount of dollars and they were one way. At the end of the day, they told Hines he needed to come into camp before they would consummate a deal. And Hines had to come in and he came in, and once he came in they were able to work the deal out.

"But the problem is, you know, Mike (Wallace) doesn't really understand the concept of how the Steelers work, and so he's got to kind of figure that out. Once he figures that out and comes in, I think they'll work a deal out."

The Ward and Wallace situations are similar in that they're both receivers who were looking for more money. However, Ward was in the final year of his second contract when he skipped the first three weeks of the Steelers' 2005 training camp. Wallace is not signed, and thus not obligated to attend camp, and is looking for his second contract.

In the end, "The Bus" is right. Wallace (who's agent is James "Bus" Cook) has limited options and his best bet is to return to the fold.

Wallace will miss Thursday's preseason opener against the Philadelphia Eagles, but it would be a surprise if he weren't at least on the sidelines for the Sunday night game against the Indianapolis Colts on August 19.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000047990/article/jerome-bettis-mike-wallace-doesnt-get-steelers

RuthlessBurgher
08-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Ben Roethlisberger says Mike Wallace is in shape, will be ready
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 9, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT

Ben Roethlisberger says the Steelers’ passing game needs receiver Mike Wallace, but he’s not worried about Wallace’s status as an unsigned free agent, because he’s confident that Wallace will be signed and ready to play before the season starts.

Roethlisberger told 93.7 the Fan in Pittsburgh that he called Wallace on August 1, his 26th birthday, and heard exactly what he hoped to hear: Wallace says he’s staying in shape and getting ready for the regular season, even though he’s not doing it in training camp.

“I talked to Mike several days back. It was his birthday, I gave him a call to wish him happy birthday and see how he was doing,” Roethlisberger said, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. “Mike’s training hard. He’s training with his helmet on just like he would be here. So he’s doing a lot of things. And without getting into the details of all the things I don’t want to get involved with, I have confidence he’ll be here and ready to go for the season.”

Roethlisberger said being away from camp is killing Wallace, because he desperately wants to be there with his teammates, and that anyone who thinks Wallace isn’t a team player — or that Wallace isn’t a player the Steelers’ offense needs — is completely wrong.

“They’re crazy. No offense, but they’re crazy,” Roethlisberger said of Steelers fans who don’t think the team needs Wallace. “I can’t say enough how good of a teammate he is. And that’s the most important thing when you have as many young guys as we have on our team. And Mike’s a little older and has been doing it for several years. Everyone talks about how great Antonio Brown is — and he is — but the reason Antonio is going to get open — not the only reason — but one of the reasons Antonio is going to get open is because Mike is stretching the field. Any time that Mike is on the field, he commands two guys.”

With the Steelers’ opener at Denver one month away, Roethlisberger sounds confident that Wallace will be stretching the field again soon.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/09/ben-roethlisberger-says-mike-wallace-is-in-shape-will-be-ready/

Flasteel
08-09-2012, 04:42 PM
I maintain that Bus Cook is the main problem here. He is obviously advising Wallace that this is the best course of action and Wallace trusts him. I still don't see how a man can't think for himself and understand how this is undermining his position and hurting his team. If he really wanted to be here, then he would be here. Otherwise, it's not his top priority.

The good thing is that if he does show at any point in the next 2 weeks, then any damage done would be easily overcome...no worries. I hope we keep him for the long haul, but if he holds out into the season, all bets are off.

Captain Lemming
08-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Roethlisberger said being away from camp is killing Wallace, because he desperately wants to be there with his teammates

Hmmm. It seems to me that if not being in camp is "killing" Wallace.....he would be there.
Nobody is barring the dude from camp, they begged him to show up.

Sure he wants to be in camp, but only if "the price is right".

Colbert aint budging, he said no talks until he shows up. Why is he not in camp?

Captain Lemming
08-09-2012, 05:45 PM
I maintain that Bus Cook is the main problem here. He is obviously advising Wallace that this is the best course of action and Wallace trusts him.

Fact is that Hawaiisteel is right. Wallace has too high an opinion of himself.

Lets forget the contract talks for a minute. Wallace believes he can be 2,000 yard receiver. That is Wallace not Cook.
If THAT is truly how he sees himself, he will never accept the kind of deal Ruthless suggests. Why would he if he believe that he is THAT good?

Flasteel
08-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Fact is that Hawaiisteel is right. Wallace has too high an opinion of himself.

Lets forget the contract talks for a minute. Wallace believes he can be 2,000 yard receiver. That is Wallace not Cook.
If THAT is truly how he sees himself, he will never accept the kind of deal Ruthless suggests. Why would he if he believe that he is THAT good?

I'm not saying that Wallace doesn't have an inflated sense of what he's worth or what he can do, but again, how much of that is Cook in his ear? I'm not sure if they mutually agree on a dollar amount or if one party has a higher expectation than the other, but Cook obviously benefits by any increase in the contract amount.

As far as not reporting to camp, I see this as the area where Cook is more to blame than Wallace. Do you think Wallace would still be staying away if his agent advised him against it? I certainly don't. This tactic reeks of agent meddling to me.

hawaiiansteel
08-13-2012, 02:44 AM
Steelers unveil dink and dunk offense

8/12/2012
by John Steigerwald

Dink, dunk, doze.

For now, and it’s only one exhibition game, call what the Steelers are running the 3D offense. It’s way too early to draw any long term conclusions about what to expect from the Steelers’ offense under its new coordinator, Todd Haley, but it sure looked like just another NFL, close to the vest offense that throws it down the field when you have. But, hey, there is a fullback in there to liven things up.

The Steelers attempted 19 passes (not counting sacks) Thursday night in Philadelphia. According to the official NFL stat sheet, 15 of them qualified as short.

Nothing alarming there. That’s the way it’s done in the NFL these days.

Maybe there would have been one or two more shots downfield if the Steelers’ best deep threat, Mike Wallace, had made the trip.

He’s still holding out and was probably happy about that decision when he saw his teammate, fullback David Johnson, go out with a serious knee injury. More on him in a minute.

Teams never show their best stuff in exhibition games, and nobody should have been expecting any razzle-dazzle or even a noticeable, major departure from what the Steelers had been doing under Haley’s predecessor Bruce Arians. But it would have been OK to expect something a little more exciting than a fullback.

Haley might be willing to lead a resurgence of the Steelers’ running game, but the more he sees of his stable of running backs, the more likely he might be to trade runs for dinks and dunks.

Without Rashard Medenhall, the Steelers have only ordinary backs to count on.

Ike Redman and Jonathan Dwyer are about as ordinary as an NFL running back can be - and I actually think that Dwyer is a better runner.

Mendenhall is a smidgen above ordinary.

The new kid, Chris Rainey, who turned a dink (or was it a dunk?) into a 57-yard touchdown, is going to add some explosiveness and excitement to the attack, but probably more as a dunker and dinker than a runner.

It’s possible that the offensive line is going to include two rookies, neither of whom distinguished himself against the Eagles.

You have to give left tackle Mike Adams and right guard David DeCastro a ton of slack because it was their first game, but you also shouldn’t be counting on them, at least in the early going, to contribute to Haley’s plan to keep his quarterback in the pocket.

And if you’re not very good at running the ball and not confident that your line can protect the quarterback, then you’re probably going to be doing a lot of - ready? - dinking and dunking.

Mike Wallace can fix a dink and dunk fixation in hurry. Remember last year when he was averaging 20 yards a catch?

Actually, it was the first half of the season when he was doing that. In the second half he averaged about 13.

It’s becoming pretty obvious that Wallace isn’t interested in participating in training camp this, and who can blame him? He wants a lot more money than the Steelers are willing to give him as a restricted free agent, and why would he want to risk blowing out a knee in a 7-on-7 drill or in an exhibition game?

Maybe he has an unrealistic opinion of his worth, but it’s his opinion. And you have to give Wallace some credit for putting his money where his mouth is.

Listen to the talk shows and you get the impression that there are quite a few fans and maybe even some cheerleaders in the media who believe that Wallace owes them something or that he should feel honored to be wearing the black and gold of the Steelers.

He’s like every other player on the roster - in it for the cash. Wallace is using the little bit of leverage that was negotiated for him by his union during a lockout last summer. Maybe he hasn’t been around long enough to justify the money he’s holding out for, but he’s also been around long enough to know how overrated training camp is.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sports11/08-12-2012_steigerwald

Oviedo
08-13-2012, 07:28 AM
Steelers unveil dink and dunk offense

8/12/2012
by John Steigerwald

Dink, dunk, doze.

For now, and it’s only one exhibition game, call what the Steelers are running the 3D offense. It’s way too early to draw any long term conclusions about what to expect from the Steelers’ offense under its new coordinator, Todd Haley, but it sure looked like just another NFL, close to the vest offense that throws it down the field when you have. But, hey, there is a fullback in there to liven things up.

The Steelers attempted 19 passes (not counting sacks) Thursday night in Philadelphia. According to the official NFL stat sheet, 15 of them qualified as short.

Nothing alarming there. That’s the way it’s done in the NFL these days.

Maybe there would have been one or two more shots downfield if the Steelers’ best deep threat, Mike Wallace, had made the trip.

He’s still holding out and was probably happy about that decision when he saw his teammate, fullback David Johnson, go out with a serious knee injury. More on him in a minute.

Teams never show their best stuff in exhibition games, and nobody should have been expecting any razzle-dazzle or even a noticeable, major departure from what the Steelers had been doing under Haley’s predecessor Bruce Arians. But it would have been OK to expect something a little more exciting than a fullback.

Haley might be willing to lead a resurgence of the Steelers’ running game, but the more he sees of his stable of running backs, the more likely he might be to trade runs for dinks and dunks.

Without Rashard Medenhall, the Steelers have only ordinary backs to count on.

Ike Redman and Jonathan Dwyer are about as ordinary as an NFL running back can be - and I actually think that Dwyer is a better runner.

Mendenhall is a smidgen above ordinary.

The new kid, Chris Rainey, who turned a dink (or was it a dunk?) into a 57-yard touchdown, is going to add some explosiveness and excitement to the attack, but probably more as a dunker and dinker than a runner.

It’s possible that the offensive line is going to include two rookies, neither of whom distinguished himself against the Eagles.

You have to give left tackle Mike Adams and right guard David DeCastro a ton of slack because it was their first game, but you also shouldn’t be counting on them, at least in the early going, to contribute to Haley’s plan to keep his quarterback in the pocket.

And if you’re not very good at running the ball and not confident that your line can protect the quarterback, then you’re probably going to be doing a lot of - ready? - dinking and dunking.

Mike Wallace can fix a dink and dunk fixation in hurry. Remember last year when he was averaging 20 yards a catch?

Actually, it was the first half of the season when he was doing that. In the second half he averaged about 13.

It’s becoming pretty obvious that Wallace isn’t interested in participating in training camp this, and who can blame him? He wants a lot more money than the Steelers are willing to give him as a restricted free agent, and why would he want to risk blowing out a knee in a 7-on-7 drill or in an exhibition game?

Maybe he has an unrealistic opinion of his worth, but it’s his opinion. And you have to give Wallace some credit for putting his money where his mouth is.

Listen to the talk shows and you get the impression that there are quite a few fans and maybe even some cheerleaders in the media who believe that Wallace owes them something or that he should feel honored to be wearing the black and gold of the Steelers.

He’s like every other player on the roster - in it for the cash. Wallace is using the little bit of leverage that was negotiated for him by his union during a lockout last summer. Maybe he hasn’t been around long enough to justify the money he’s holding out for, but he’s also been around long enough to know how overrated training camp is.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sports11/08-12-2012_steigerwald

I love the "dink and dunk" approach because it takes pressure off the OL and keeps Ben upright. I've always said that if ben would take that approach he would would be close to a 70% passer versus trying to force balls down the field. Let the receivers get yards after the catch. We have a group that can do that now.

Steigerwald is right in that our RBs are very ordinary with Mendy out but I think that is a trend in the NFL. RB by committee is the name of the game and there really are very few stars at the position.

NorthCoast
08-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Jerome Bettis: Mike Wallace doesn't get Steelers
By Brian McIntyre
Around the League writer
Published: Aug. 9, 2012 at 10:34 a.m.
Updated: Aug. 9, 2012 at 12:33 p.m.

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace has yet to sign his restricted free agent tender. Wallace can no longer negotiate with other teams and the Steelers will not trade the deep-threat, leaving Wallace with just two options: Stay home or double his career earnings by signing the $2.742 million tender.

Former Steelers running back and Detroit native Jerome Bettis tells "NFL AM" that Wallace doesn't understand how the organization operates and that the best way to get a long-term deal would be to report to the team.

"I think when you go through the history of the Steelers, they do things a bit differently," Bettis said on Thursday. "And when you look at in relationship to their stars, they still stay one way. They're firm in their resolve and the way they do things. All you have to do is go back to Hines Ward.

"His situation, he had a holdout before his last contract. He wanted x-amount of dollars and they were one way. At the end of the day, they told Hines he needed to come into camp before they would consummate a deal. And Hines had to come in and he came in, and once he came in they were able to work the deal out.

"But the problem is, you know, Mike (Wallace) doesn't really understand the concept of how the Steelers work, and so he's got to kind of figure that out. Once he figures that out and comes in, I think they'll work a deal out."

The Ward and Wallace situations are similar in that they're both receivers who were looking for more money. However, Ward was in the final year of his second contract when he skipped the first three weeks of the Steelers' 2005 training camp. Wallace is not signed, and thus not obligated to attend camp, and is looking for his second contract.

In the end, "The Bus" is right. Wallace (who's agent is James "Bus" Cook) has limited options and his best bet is to return to the fold.

Wallace will miss Thursday's preseason opener against the Philadelphia Eagles, but it would be a surprise if he weren't at least on the sidelines for the Sunday night game against the Indianapolis Colts on August 19.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000047990/article/jerome-bettis-mike-wallace-doesnt-get-steelers

I think Jerome is right on. Wallace and/or his agent are attempting to rewrite how the Steelers negotiate contracts.

Guess what....it ain't gonna happen. So they end in a stalemate where no one gets what they want. There is something in economics called Nash's equilibrium where he proves that it is better for both sides to take a little less than for one side to get all they want. Be interesting to see how this all ends....

Oviedo
08-13-2012, 12:56 PM
I think Jerome is right on. Wallace and/or his agent are attempting to rewrite how the Steelers negotiate contracts.

Guess what....it ain't gonna happen. So they end in a stalemate where no one gets what they want. There is something in economics called Nash's equilibrium where he proves that it is better for both sides to take a little less than for one side to get all they want. Be interesting to see how this all ends....

"Stupid is as stupid does." That Gumpism pretty much sums up how Wallace and his agent have handled this. The Steelers won't change for Mike Wallace.

phillyesq
08-13-2012, 02:49 PM
I love the "dink and dunk" approach because it takes pressure off the OL and keeps Ben upright. I've always said that if ben would take that approach he would would be close to a 70% passer versus trying to force balls down the field. Let the receivers get yards after the catch. We have a group that can do that now.

I really liked the approach to start the Eagles game, but eventually, the Steelers will have to throw the ball down the field. Not as frequently as Arians with all the long developing routes, but enough to back the defense out of a 10-15 yard window and open things up underneath.

Everything in moderation.

ikestops85
08-13-2012, 05:55 PM

Steigerwald is right in that our RBs are very ordinary with Mendy out but I think that is a trend in the NFL. RB by committee is the name of the game and there really are very few stars at the position.

Well, that approach sure didn't work against the Eagles. How many times was our QB sacked? Wasn't it 7 times? How many times did Ben get hit when attempting to pass? I think it was 5 out of the 7 times he threw. Not exactly a good start for the dink and dunk if it's supposed to keep the QB upright.

hawaiiansteel
08-14-2012, 10:47 PM
Harris: Taylor pitches in to solve Wallace mess

By John Harris
Published: Monday, August 13, 2012

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/ikeanddanrooney.jpg

What if I told you that restricted free-agent wide receiver Mike Wallace not only trained last week with speed and conditioning guru Tom Shaw at ESPN’s Wide World of Sports at Disney, he bunked in Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor’s nearby home and drove Taylor’s car?

How many people would welcome someone into their home while they’re away at training camp? Taylor and Wallace are good teammates more than they are best friends, so Taylor clearly took one for the team.

“Mike was supposed to be here three weeks ago,” said Shaw, who has trained many high-profile NFL players and has known Taylor since he was a teenager. “The only way to get him here was to have him stay in Ike’s house and drive Ike’s car.”

The Steelers know all about Shaw, who became regarded as one of the early stars in his profession for his work with Deion Sanders, Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. Shaw was the conditioning coach when the New England Patriots won three Super Bowls in four years.

Shaw has been a guest at the Steelers’ practice facility, and he is on speaking terms with coach Mike Tomlin. The Steelers are well aware that Taylor, who works every offseason with Shaw and made his home in Orlando, Fla., as a result, didn’t miss a game because of injury in his first nine NFL seasons.

Taylor should receive a finder’s fee when Wallace receives his new contract. Make no mistake, it’s a matter of when, not if, Wallace — who told a Disney official last week he will play in the final preseason game — signs with the Steelers.

Taylor has spoken with Wallace throughout the offseason, in person and on the phone, with Wallace explaining his side of the negotiations while Taylor presented the Steelers’ side.

The New Orleans natives got together in June when Taylor was in town to host his annual football camp.

“It’s a lot of frustration with Mike, seeing a lot of guys getting signed to big contracts,” Taylor said. “Mike feels like he outperformed his last contract. He’s telling me, ‘I miss being around you boys. But I want my (money).’ ”

Taylor, who signed a four-year extension last year making him the highest-paid cornerback in Steelers history, capitalized on his close relationship with chairman emeritus Dan Rooney to become a buffer between Wallace and the Steelers.

Check out Taylor’s avatar picture on his Twitter page featuring him and Rooney striking one of Taylor’s favorite poses, side-by-side with arms folded across their chests. It’s a must-see, and a clear indicator that Taylor, who once fell asleep in Rooney’s office after a practice, shares a special bond with the Steelers’ owner.

“I told him one time that his pants (were) too high,” Taylor said about Rooney on his weekly show on TribLive Radio two weeks ago. “So he had to come down on his pants, and he got a whole lot better over the course of years.”

Given the relationship between Rooney and Taylor, does anyone believe that Wallace worked out with Taylor’s personal trainer while the team is in training camp without the Steelers knowing about it?

“Mike is my guy,” Taylor said. “Mr. Rooney and the organization, they’re my people, so I see it on both sides.”

With the recent departures of James Farrior, Hines Ward and Aaron Smith, Taylor is taking charge. He’s become a mentor to cornerbacks Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown. Allen was a guest in Taylor’s home when Allen trained with Shaw this summer, as was wide receiver Antonio Brown, who tussled with Taylor at the end of Sunday’s practice but considers him a friend.

Taylor’s direct involvement in Wallace’s contract negotiations — while unusual, to say the least — will be worth it when Wallace and the Steelers agree to terms.

http://triblive.com/home/2403626-74/taylor-steelers-wallace-mike-shaw-rooney-ike-harris-allen-camp

pittpete
08-15-2012, 01:07 AM
That picture is classic man..

Now to the Wallace situation..
Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that Mikes not here.
With all the dam injuries going on this year in the NFL, I can see his point a little bit.
He has the playbook and he's not a rookie.
We will "pay dat man his munnee" just in time for fresh legs to be back in B&G with his new contract.

Oviedo
08-15-2012, 07:50 AM
That picture is classic man..

Now to the Wallace situation..
Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that Mikes not here.
With all the dam injuries going on this year in the NFL, I can see his point a little bit.
He has the playbook and he's not a rookie.
We will "pay dat man his munnee" just in time for fresh legs to be back in B&G with his new contract.

But what is his absence accomplishing in reaching closure on a contract? Nothing!!! There is the Steelers way or the highway. The concern is that he is really wanting to hit the highway.

As far as injuries, I could very easily see Wallace having more issues this season because he is avoiding camp.

fordfixer
08-15-2012, 10:26 AM
But what is his absence accomplishing in reaching closure on a contract? Nothing!!! There is the Steelers way or the highway. The concern is that he is really wanting to hit the highway.

As far as injuries, I could very easily see Wallace having more issues this season because he is avoiding camp.

I agree.How many players have returned from a hold out just to pull a hammie (or something) and have to set another 6 weeks?:HeadBanger

papillon
08-15-2012, 11:48 AM
If he's going to be there for that last pre-season game then why not get to camp and start getting reps? This makes little or no sense. The Steelers don't negotiate during the season, so, coming in a week prior to the regular season and try to negotiate a long term contract. If he gets to camp, signs the tender and negotiates for the next 3 to 4 weeks he's more likely to walk away with his 50 million and some large guaranteed number. Waiting until the regular season is just not the best option here for Wallace.

I'm a Steeler fan, he can stay or go it doesn't matter to me one way or another. I'll root for #17 regardless of the body in the jersey, just like I did for #32, #26 and the few others that didn't see fit to continue their employment with the Steelers.

Pappy

Oviedo
08-15-2012, 12:21 PM
If he's going to be there for that last pre-season game then why not get to camp and start getting reps? This makes little or no sense. The Steelers don't negotiate during the season, so, coming in a week prior to the regular season and try to negotiate a long term contract. If he gets to camp, signs the tender and negotiates for the next 3 to 4 weeks he's more likely to walk away with his 50 million and some large guaranteed number. Waiting until the regular season is just not the best option here for Wallace.

I'm a Steeler fan, he can stay or go it doesn't matter to me one way or another. I'll root for #17 regardless of the body in the jersey, just like I did for #32, #26 and the few others that didn't see fit to continue their employment with the Steelers.

Pappy

Yep! Replaceable carbon units. It is the logo on the side of the helmet that matters not the name on the back of the jerseys.

phillyesq
08-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Yep! Replaceable carbon units. It is the logo on the side of the helmet that matters not the name on the back of the jerseys.

Perhaps they are repalceable carbon units, but I'd like to see another replaceable unit who can match his production and impact on the defense. Guys like Wallace don't grow on trees, and the Steelers are absolutely better off with Wallace in the lineup this year than they are without him.

Slapstick
08-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Perhaps they are repalceable carbon units, but I'd like to see another replaceable unit who can match his production and impact on the defense. Guys like Wallace don't grow on trees, and the Steelers are absolutely better off with Wallace in the lineup this year than they are without him.

Nobody disputes that.

Some just agree with the stance that the Steelers can't kowtow in order just to keep him...

Oviedo
08-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Nobody disputes that.

Some just agree with the stance that the Steelers can't kowtow in order just to keep him...

100% yes to this!!!!!

phillyesq
08-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Nobody disputes that.

I'm not saying that the Steelers should just bend over and meet his demands. I'm rooting for Wallace to return because I think it makes the team better. If he plays for the tender this year or signs a reasonable deal, I have no objection to either.

Slapstick
08-15-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm not saying that the Steelers should just bend over and meet his demands. I'm rooting for Wallace to return because I think it makes the team better. If he plays for the tender this year or signs a reasonable deal, I have no objection to either.

Then we agree to agree!

phillyesq
08-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Then we agree to agree!
:Cheers

Cheers. Now 10 Characters.

hawaiiansteel
08-15-2012, 02:35 PM
Then we agree to agree!

is that allowed on a message board? :D

Captain Lemming
08-16-2012, 01:49 AM

Pappy

I get your point about 32 but 26?
THAT was a cornerback

Sure there will be another 26. But Deshea Townsand...irreplaceable!!!
It hurt when he left usfor the Colts

Shoe
08-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Then we agree to agree!

I think most sane fans would agree that Wallace:
1i) is a valuable deep threat
2) isn't worth "Larry Fitz" money, or anything near

hawaiiansteel
08-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Ed: Wallace Can't Expect New Contract

TUESDAY, 21 AUGUST 2012 08:26 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good morning,

It is Aug. 21 and the Steelers resume practice today, back at their home in Pittsburgh. While teammates continue to predict that Mike Wallace will return “soon,’’ there still is no word that he will join them on the South Side today.

Unless he plans to hold out through the first 11 weeks of the season, it would appear Wallace’s goal was to stay away from all the preseason stuff. He virtually has accomplished that mission. He does not have to worry about getting hurt before the regular season begins.

Yet he also had to determine that when he does report, he will be playing for a salary of $2.7 million this season, that there will not be a multiple-year contract for him. Negotiations on a longer deal with Wallace ended the day he did not report to camp, July 25. The Steelers insist they will not resume until he signs his one-year tender and reports. They also have a long-standing policy that they will not negotiate a new contract once the regular season begins.

So, if Wallace reported today, they would have 19 days to try to come to terms on a long-term deal. They weren’t able to do that for the four months they tried leading up to training camp, why would anyone think they would come to terms in 19 days? That is particularly true since they turned around early in camp and signed Antnonio Brown to a long-term deal.

I have been told that Mike Tomlin was solidly in Wallace’s corner leading up to July 25. Once the holdout dragged on, however, he lost the coach, at least for him pushing the Steelers to try to get something done.

Tomlin will accept Wallace’s return and treat him as he would other players. But he’s not sitting behind the scenes urging him to get into camp or urging the Steelers to get a long-term deal done with him. He stated his case rather bluntly to Bob Labriola on the team’s website the other day:

“He’s going to dictate how we move forward. His overall readiness, his level of conditioning, his knowledge of what we’re doing, how quickly he can come up to speed when he gets here . . . that’s why I say I’m not going to anticipate anything.’’

My prediction from the spring stands: Wallace will report, play for his $2.7 million and become an unrestricted free agent in 2013.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117713-ed-wallace-cant-expect-new-contract

fezziwig
08-21-2012, 08:42 PM
thats how i see it

Oviedo
08-22-2012, 08:51 AM
Ed: Wallace Can't Expect New Contract

TUESDAY, 21 AUGUST 2012 08:26 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good morning,

It is Aug. 21 and the Steelers resume practice today, back at their home in Pittsburgh. While teammates continue to predict that Mike Wallace will return “soon,’’ there still is no word that he will join them on the South Side today.

Unless he plans to hold out through the first 11 weeks of the season, it would appear Wallace’s goal was to stay away from all the preseason stuff. He virtually has accomplished that mission. He does not have to worry about getting hurt before the regular season begins.

Yet he also had to determine that when he does report, he will be playing for a salary of $2.7 million this season, that there will not be a multiple-year contract for him. Negotiations on a longer deal with Wallace ended the day he did not report to camp, July 25. The Steelers insist they will not resume until he signs his one-year tender and reports. They also have a long-standing policy that they will not negotiate a new contract once the regular season begins.

So, if Wallace reported today, they would have 19 days to try to come to terms on a long-term deal. They weren’t able to do that for the four months they tried leading up to training camp, why would anyone think they would come to terms in 19 days? That is particularly true since they turned around early in camp and signed Antnonio Brown to a long-term deal.

I have been told that Mike Tomlin was solidly in Wallace’s corner leading up to July 25. Once the holdout dragged on, however, he lost the coach, at least for him pushing the Steelers to try to get something done.

Tomlin will accept Wallace’s return and treat him as he would other players. But he’s not sitting behind the scenes urging him to get into camp or urging the Steelers to get a long-term deal done with him. He stated his case rather bluntly to Bob Labriola on the team’s website the other day:

“He’s going to dictate how we move forward. His overall readiness, his level of conditioning, his knowledge of what we’re doing, how quickly he can come up to speed when he gets here . . . that’s why I say I’m not going to anticipate anything.’’

My prediction from the spring stands: Wallace will report, play for his $2.7 million and become an unrestricted free agent in 2013.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117713-ed-wallace-cant-expect-new-contract

That's why I love Tomlin as a coach. Do right by the team and we will do right by you. Be selfish and you're on your own.

That is why Tomlin will be a successful coach for many years to come.

hawaiiansteel
08-23-2012, 01:58 AM
Steelers: Mike Wallace’s Quiet Holdout was Completely Overblown

http://steelblitz.com/wp-content/themes/u-design/scripts/timthumb.php?src=http://steelblitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Mike-wallace.jpg&w=570&h=172&zc=1&q=90

Many fans have had their opinion on Mike Wallace changed over this off-season. Wallace has held out for the entire 2012 Steelers training camp in an effort to get a new long-term contract. Wallace’s contract has held plenty of headlines during the off-season. Howver, Wallace did almost exactly what we want an athlete do if things come to a holdout situation. There are the athletes that talk about what is going on and complain about not getting a new deal; Wallace didn’t talk at all. There are the players that demand to be traded and do so in the media; Wallace didn’t do this either. In fact, Wallace didn’t do much of anything during his holdout other than stay quiet and workout.

Now I know what you are thinking: Wallace did talk, he wanted Larry Fitzgerald money, right? Wrong. Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee reported that Wallace was looking for “Larry Fitzgerald money.” Barrows runs a 49ers blog for the Sacromento Bee, so what does he know about Wallace? Probably nothing. What was his source for this information? An un-named NFL source. Un-named, to protect their identity, but likely more so because they don’t exist. If Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, said Wallace wanted “Fitz Money” it would be believeable, but that’s because Bouchette is a Steelers beat reporter. When an unknown reporter from Sacremento talks about Steelers players it should, in my opinion, go unnoticed.

Then we had the franchise tag talk. The only reason Wallace would holdout is if he felt the Steelers contract offer was unfair. That offer was reported to be in the area of 5 years $50 million (guaranteed money unknown, but speculated in the $15 million range). So why would the Steelers franchise Wallace by giving him a 1 year contract worth $12 million completely guranteed. Remember the Steelers cap issues could stretch into the 2013 offseason and there is no way they would have the money to give Wallace $12 million next season. The only reason for the Steelers to discuss franchising Wallace right now would be as leverage in negotiations. The likely-hood of it actually happening is about as close to zero percent as you can get.

Next there was the trade rumors. First, the Steelers were trading Mike Wallace for fellow holdout Dwayne Bowe. Then they were looking to swap Wallace for yet another holdout in runningback Maurice Jones-Drew. Jones-Drew was the leading runner in 2011, but is 27 and wants a deal close to Chris Johnson’s 4 year $53 million contract. Thats, likely, more money than Wallace would get and Jones-Drew is older and plays a position with a shorter shelf-life than wide receiver. Next, the Steelers were ready to trade Wallace for a fourth round pick, reported again by someone no one has ever heard of, but again that makes absolutely no sense. Wallace is one of the best young player in the NFL and if he leaves as a restricted free agent next year the Steelers will get a third round compensatory pick. So why would they trade him for a fourth? They wouldn’t. There were fans clammoring for a first round pick in exchange for Wallace, but while he was an unrestricted free agent any team in the league could have had him for a first round pick and no one gave him a contract offer. Many people forget the value of first round picks in the NFL.

It had just got to the most intense part of Wallace’s holdout, in terms of fans turning on the receiver, when it was reported that Wallace had signed a 5 year $42.5 million deal. However, that report was correct, but they had the wrong receiver’s name. Antonio Brown inked a deal with those exact terms just a few days after these rumors.

Yesterday reports came out that Wallace would be in to sign his tender this weekend. That report was from Ed Bouchette which means it should be compltely believed by all of Steeler Nation and is great news for an offense that needs more playmakers (especially with injuries plaguing the team already). However, another rumor spread like wild fire yesterday. First that Wallace was back in Pittsburgh, Ike Taylor says that is incorrect and has been in contact with Wallace all off-season so I’ll take his word for it. Then that Wallace had already signed, also false.

For having one of the queiter holdouts in NFL, maybe even Pro-Sports, history Wallace has sparked hundreds of rumors. Most of them have been completely untrue; the problem for Wallace, however, is that most of these rumors were seen and discussed in such detail that most fans seen them as 100% truth. Fans have turned their backs on Wallace and a lot of reasoning has been generated by untrue or made-up rumors.

When it comes down to it Wallace’s holdout was completely overblown by the national media who uses even the smallest story to drum up drama and make a headline. Wallace has done exactly what he wanted to do with this holdout. He avoided training camp and getting injured. He will now have a few days (depending when he arrives at the Steelers team facilities) to sign a long-term deal before his first practice. I’ve speculated this entire time that Wallace’s reason for holding out was to play 2012 under a long-term contract rather than playing under a one year deal where an injury could derail his career and lose him millions of dollars. Could it be that Wallace held out, a bit for money, but also to make sure he would ink a long-term deal in Pittsburgh? Yes it’s possible, but by most fan’s accounts Wallace is a selfish, bad teammate, who is all about the money. I guess I just don’t see it that way, but thats the great thing about sports we all have our opinions hence why sports banter shows like PTI and Around the Horn have done as well as they have.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_mike_wallaces_quiet_holdout_was_completel y_overblown/11521063

ikestops85
08-23-2012, 11:01 AM
:Agree

and that my friends was one of the best written articles that I have read in a long time. Every bit of it made perfect sense. We, as fans, tend to over react to each and every rumor we hear.

Shawn
08-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Agreed...good article.

Sugar
08-23-2012, 12:19 PM
:Agree

and that my friends was one of the best written articles that I have read in a long time. Every bit of it made perfect sense. We, as fans, tend to over react to each and every rumor we hear.

:Agree with your agreement! I'm thinking all of the time that has been spent in speculation on this thing will be meaningless in about a week.

hawaiiansteel
08-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Steelers' other WRs will embrace Wallace

August 23, 2012
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://d4493f2df0d1b95cfc62-773cd17a86049dd672fafb96394debed.r5.cf2.rackcdn.co m/2012/235/841/mike-wallace_420.jpg

Now that a date has been determined for when holdout receiver Mike Wallace will return to the Steelers, the team can contemplate other questions surrounding their big-play receiver.

Assuming Wallace has been staying in good shape, the most important question to be answered is how quickly he can pick up Todd Haley's offense.

The consensus among his teammates Wednesday was that it won't be much of a problem.

"It depends on how much he's been doing while he's been away," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said after practice Wednesday afternoon. "From what he's told me, he's been working out, not just on his conditioning and his strength, but working through the offense.

"It could be a little bit of a challenge, but, if he's been putting in the work that he's told me he's been doing, I think he'll be fine."

Wallace, who is expected to report to the team this weekend, has been absent since the season ended in January because he was not happy with his contract situation. He was given a copy of the new playbook in the spring, but he did not attend the team's voluntary offseason program or the mandatory minicamp in June.

"Mike is a very intelligent guy, so picking up the offense won't be hard for him at all," receiver Jerricho Cotchery said. "The offense will be pretty easy for him to get down."
Even though the terminology is different, Wallace's role on the team won't change all that much. When he arrives, he'll step into his old role as the team's deep threat and put pressure on defensive coordinators to account for him every play.

"Mike is a big part of our team," running back Isaac Redman said. "He's a great player. He allows us to stretch defenses and have that deep threat. I'm looking forward to him coming back. He's also a good friend of mine. It'll be good to have him back in the locker room."

Entering his fourth season, Wallace made a name for himself the past few years with fellow young receivers Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders. They refer to themselves as the "Young Money" crew.

Brown, entering his third season, signed a six-year contract for $42.5 million at the beginning of training camp. Wallace, unless he signs a long-term deal with the team before the regular season begins, will play this season for $2.7 million.

It remains to be seen if the dynamic within the receiving corps changes, but Sanders doesn't think it will because of the leadership Wallace exhibited in the past.

"It's a really good thing that he's coming back," Sanders said. "We're all looking forward to that. Mike takes the top off the defense so guys like me and Antonio and Jerricho can get open underneath. We're happy to hear he's coming back. We can't wait for his arrival.

"He's definitely helped me out a lot. I think we all helped each other. We created this Young Money group so we can stay as a receiving corps. Sometimes, as receivers, we can be selfish, so he created that, which brought us closer. He just taught us about the camaraderie of the wide-receiver position. And his speed and how he runs definitely helps me out."

Without Wallace, Sanders and the other receivers have benefited from more repetitions in camp. Sanders learned the outside X position, but he will return to the slot when Wallace returns. Sanders has greatly expanded knowledge of the offense because of Wallace's absence.

That could pay dividends if there is an injury or an unforeseen development. But, like the rest of his teammates, Sanders will welcome Wallace back with open arms.

"I got an opportunity to capitalize on him not being here," Sanders said. "It's been good for me, game chemistry with Ben, just catching footballs with the first-team offense, something that will hopefully pay off when the game begins.

"Mike will definitely be welcome. We're all waiting on him. He brings in his personality, that light demeanor, never too serious, that joking manner that sometimes we as athletes forget that this is a game we play. He has world-class speed, something you can't coach. He comes in, takes the tops off defense and gives us big-time plays."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-other-wrs-will-embrace-wallace-650155/#ixzz24PL2WciW

squidkid
08-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Steelers: Mike Wallace’s Quiet Holdout was Completely Overblown

http://steelblitz.com/wp-content/themes/u-design/scripts/timthumb.php?src=http://steelblitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Mike-wallace.jpg&w=570&h=172&zc=1&q=90

Many fans have had their opinion on Mike Wallace changed over this off-season. Wallace has held out for the entire 2012 Steelers training camp in an effort to get a new long-term contract. Wallace’s contract has held plenty of headlines during the off-season. Howver, Wallace did almost exactly what we want an athlete do if things come to a holdout situation. There are the athletes that talk about what is going on and complain about not getting a new deal; Wallace didn’t talk at all. There are the players that demand to be traded and do so in the media; Wallace didn’t do this either. In fact, Wallace didn’t do much of anything during his holdout other than stay quiet and workout.

Now I know what you are thinking: Wallace did talk, he wanted Larry Fitzgerald money, right? Wrong. Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee reported that Wallace was looking for “Larry Fitzgerald money.” Barrows runs a 49ers blog for the Sacromento Bee, so what does he know about Wallace? Probably nothing. What was his source for this information? An un-named NFL source. Un-named, to protect their identity, but likely more so because they don’t exist. If Ed Bouchette, of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, said Wallace wanted “Fitz Money” it would be believeable, but that’s because Bouchette is a Steelers beat reporter. When an unknown reporter from Sacremento talks about Steelers players it should, in my opinion, go unnoticed.

Then we had the franchise tag talk. The only reason Wallace would holdout is if he felt the Steelers contract offer was unfair. That offer was reported to be in the area of 5 years $50 million (guaranteed money unknown, but speculated in the $15 million range). So why would the Steelers franchise Wallace by giving him a 1 year contract worth $12 million completely guranteed. Remember the Steelers cap issues could stretch into the 2013 offseason and there is no way they would have the money to give Wallace $12 million next season. The only reason for the Steelers to discuss franchising Wallace right now would be as leverage in negotiations. The likely-hood of it actually happening is about as close to zero percent as you can get.

Next there was the trade rumors. First, the Steelers were trading Mike Wallace for fellow holdout Dwayne Bowe. Then they were looking to swap Wallace for yet another holdout in runningback Maurice Jones-Drew. Jones-Drew was the leading runner in 2011, but is 27 and wants a deal close to Chris Johnson’s 4 year $53 million contract. Thats, likely, more money than Wallace would get and Jones-Drew is older and plays a position with a shorter shelf-life than wide receiver. Next, the Steelers were ready to trade Wallace for a fourth round pick, reported again by someone no one has ever heard of, but again that makes absolutely no sense. Wallace is one of the best young player in the NFL and if he leaves as a restricted free agent next year the Steelers will get a third round compensatory pick. So why would they trade him for a fourth? They wouldn’t. There were fans clammoring for a first round pick in exchange for Wallace, but while he was an unrestricted free agent any team in the league could have had him for a first round pick and no one gave him a contract offer. Many people forget the value of first round picks in the NFL.

It had just got to the most intense part of Wallace’s holdout, in terms of fans turning on the receiver, when it was reported that Wallace had signed a 5 year $42.5 million deal. However, that report was correct, but they had the wrong receiver’s name. Antonio Brown inked a deal with those exact terms just a few days after these rumors.

Yesterday reports came out that Wallace would be in to sign his tender this weekend. That report was from Ed Bouchette which means it should be compltely believed by all of Steeler Nation and is great news for an offense that needs more playmakers (especially with injuries plaguing the team already). However, another rumor spread like wild fire yesterday. First that Wallace was back in Pittsburgh, Ike Taylor says that is incorrect and has been in contact with Wallace all off-season so I’ll take his word for it. Then that Wallace had already signed, also false.

For having one of the queiter holdouts in NFL, maybe even Pro-Sports, history Wallace has sparked hundreds of rumors. Most of them have been completely untrue; the problem for Wallace, however, is that most of these rumors were seen and discussed in such detail that most fans seen them as 100% truth. Fans have turned their backs on Wallace and a lot of reasoning has been generated by untrue or made-up rumors.

When it comes down to it Wallace’s holdout was completely overblown by the national media who uses even the smallest story to drum up drama and make a headline. Wallace has done exactly what he wanted to do with this holdout. He avoided training camp and getting injured. He will now have a few days (depending when he arrives at the Steelers team facilities) to sign a long-term deal before his first practice. I’ve speculated this entire time that Wallace’s reason for holding out was to play 2012 under a long-term contract rather than playing under a one year deal where an injury could derail his career and lose him millions of dollars. Could it be that Wallace held out, a bit for money, but also to make sure he would ink a long-term deal in Pittsburgh? Yes it’s possible, but by most fan’s accounts Wallace is a selfish, bad teammate, who is all about the money. I guess I just don’t see it that way, but thats the great thing about sports we all have our opinions hence why sports banter shows like PTI and Around the Horn have done as well as they have.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_mike_wallaces_quiet_holdout_was_completel y_overblown/11521063

lol.............so this author wants us to believe his specualtions but nobdys elses. pleeeaaase:rolleyes:

hawaiiansteel
08-26-2012, 12:30 AM
Big Ben anticipates Mike Wallace's return to Steelers

By Marc Sessler
Aug. 26, 2012

Ben Roethlisberger and the Pittsburgh Steelers didn't need Mike Wallace in Saturday's 38-7 preseason romp over the Buffalo Bills, but the team's best wide receiver won't be a luxury come September.

Wallace informed teammates that he plans to sign his restricted free-agent tender this weekend, NFL.com and NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported this week. Roethlisberger on Saturday sounded all but certain about Wallace's return.

"We're excited to get Mike back. I talk to him all the time, and you know he's one of us," Roethlisberger told NFL.com and NFL Network's Kimberly Jones during halftime of Saturday's game. "He's one of our boys, we are like family. So when he gets back, we are going to be excited."

"In a day or two?" Jones asked.

"I hope so," Roethlisberger said.

With the team's regular-season opener against the Denver Broncos just two weeks away, Wallace has taken his holdout to the brink. It hasn't resulted in the big-money, long-term contract he hoped for, which is no surprise.

The Steelers have voiced their unwillingness to negotiate new deals with holdouts. Playing good soldier worked for Antonio Brown, and it might be Wallace's best chance for a long-term contract.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000054885/article/big-ben-anticipates-mike-wallaces-return-to-steelers