PDA

View Full Version : Wallace a chicken?

steelnavy
08-04-2012, 01:13 AM
The longer Mike waits to show up, the more I think he fears being exposed as more of a one trick pony versus the second coming of Larry Fitzgerald. The only other logical reason he could have for holding out is hoping that the current crop of receivers fails to shine as a unit in preseason and the Steelers cave in to his asking price (which isn't going to happen).

IMO, if he never dresses for the entire season (Steelers don't even let him dress when coming back with six weeks left), some dumb team will pay him big bucks next year based on his history. If he comes in this season and continues his disappearing act from last year, he loses the jackpot altogether.

He is maximizing his best chance for a big payday, which tells me he cares less about the Steelers and football (if so, good riddance) and more about the big windfall.

One more thing, for those of you who say that there is nothing wrong with trying to get as much cash as possible because it has to last a lifetime, why are they so special that they should never have to work again after leaving the NFL? While I have no disagreement with making as much as you can, when you put that before your team (in the case of installing a brand new offense, every day missed hurts both you AND your team), then in my book you can go suck an egg. Finishing out your contract at $2.7M is NOT a hardship and I don't feel sorry for you one bit. Unless he shows up soon, I see him as a selfish cancer and hope he disappears for good.

One more thing (part II), for those of you who have poo poo'd (for lack of a better word) posters bemoaning Mike's failure to show since the OTAs, and wrote them off as silly worry warts that need to calm down because YOU KNOW that he is showing up soon... Just because they saw the writing on the wall earlier than others doesn't invalidate their points.

Shawn
08-04-2012, 07:20 AM
I truly believe those who fault Wallace for wanting market value for his services, are hatas. Grab that green, and make it rain.

Slapstick
08-04-2012, 08:01 AM
I truly believe those who fault Wallace for wanting market value for his services, are hatas. Grab that green, and make it rain.

Godd call, Pac Man!:p

flippy
08-04-2012, 08:35 AM
why are they so special that they should never have to work again after leaving the NFL?

The problem is that many of these guys couldn't get a job at McDonalds. For every guy that makes it in business or leverages his celebrity and personality for cash, there's probably 10+ guys that just can't function in society.

And some of it might be the brain damage and pain a lot of these guys take on making it difficult to function after football.

That's probably oversimplified, but there are probably many more good excuses for these guys. And working post NFL career probably isn't a given or the norm for most.

Discipline of Steel
08-04-2012, 08:51 AM
I hope for his sake he comes soon. When he gets older and can no longer play, he will regret wasting the opportunity to get out on the field. A true athlete who loves the game would instruct his agent to get something done so they can get out on the field and compete.

Oviedo
08-04-2012, 09:26 AM

He WAS offered market value. He want an excessive amount above what he has earned after three year as a Restricted Free Agent.

squidkid
08-04-2012, 09:49 AM
I hope for his sake he comes soon. When he gets older and can no longer play, he will regret wasting the opportunity to get out on the field. A true athlete who loves the game would instruct his agent to get something done so they can get out on the field and compete.

it's been reported that his agent had instructed wallace to sign and continue to work on a contract, wallace decided to stay away.

Flasteel
08-04-2012, 09:52 AM
The longer Mike waits to show up, the more I think he fears being exposed as more of a one trick pony versus the second coming of Larry Fitzgerald. The only other logical reason he could have for holding out is hoping that the current crop of receivers fails to shine as a unit in preseason and the Steelers cave in to his asking price (which isn't going to happen).

IMO, if he never dresses for the entire season (Steelers don't even let him dress when coming back with six weeks left), some dumb team will pay him big bucks next year based on his history. If he comes in this season and continues his disappearing act from last year, he loses the jackpot altogether.

He is maximizing his best chance for a big payday, which tells me he cares less about the Steelers and football (if so, good riddance) and more about the big windfall.

One more thing, for those of you who say that there is nothing wrong with trying to get as much cash as possible because it has to last a lifetime, why are they so special that they should never have to work again after leaving the NFL? While I have no disagreement with making as much as you can, when you put that before your team (in the case of installing a brand new offense, every day missed hurts both you AND your team), then in my book you can go suck an egg. Finishing out your contract at $2.7M is NOT a hardship and I don't feel sorry for you one bit. Unless he shows up soon, I see him as a selfish cancer and hope he disappears for good.

One more thing (part II), for those of you who have poo poo'd (for lack of a better word) posters bemoaning Mike's failure to show since the OTAs, and wrote them off as silly worry warts that need to calm down because YOU KNOW that he is showing up soon... Just because they saw the writing on the wall earlier than others doesn't invalidate their points.

As a military man, you have a deep appreciation for traits like duty, honor, and teamwork. The type of behavior that Wallace is exhibiting flies in the face of these core values and is difficult to embrace or understand for many of us. Those who are cool with it either can't make the connection between his actions and the damage it is causing both him and the team, or their world is ruled by the dollar.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I definitely side with you on this one brother.

BURGH86STEEL
08-04-2012, 11:01 AM
the logical reason why wallace isnt showing up is due to money. i dont believe the steelers offered him the guaranteed money he's worth. wallace's "one trick" makes the steelers a better offense. it's biz, money comes before football and the steelers. not sure why people need to take this so personally and apply labels to wallace. if they cant reach an agreement, both parties will move on. steelers will findnanother wr and wallace will get paid by another team.

Shawn
08-04-2012, 12:03 PM
He WAS offered market value. He want an excessive amount above what he has earned after three year as a Restricted Free Agent.

Dont hate the playa.

Pops8
08-04-2012, 01:03 PM

To be technically correct, there is no market value outside of the Steelers offer. He is RFA; the Steelers are his only market. The Steelers set his current market when they offered. He can either take it, deny it and finish his RFA season and hit FA with a larger market next year, or holdout and hope his Market Value (as seen by the Steelers) goes up.

The thing is the Steelers are not likely to budge. So, he can sit at home and stew or get into camp and work towards his long term contract and/or UFA. I think he is making a poor choice, but it is his choice to make.

RuthlessBurgher
08-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Finishing out your contract at $2.7M is NOT a hardship and I don't feel sorry for you one bit.

It is not a case of him "finishing out" a contract at $2.7M. He has no contract. He is completely unsigned right now.

He is not violating a signed contract like Hines Ward did once upon a time, or Mike Merriweather before him, or Maurice Jones-Drew is doing today.

lloydroid
08-04-2012, 04:10 PM

BINGO. They offered him a FAIR deal and wanted Fitzgerald $, which he does not deserve. But he will be practicing soon; he can't afford to not have a great year. If he sits out most of the year, his stock for his next contract tumbles big time.

lloydroid
08-04-2012, 04:13 PM
It is not a case of him "finishing out" a contract at $2.7M. He has no contract. He is completely unsigned right now.

He is not violating a signed contract like Hines Ward did once upon a time, or Mike Merriweather before him, or Maurice Jones-Drew is doing today.

Maybe not, but he is a RESTRICTED free agent, so if no other team steps up to sign him, he is stuck. They offered him what they have to, under the rules, and they even offered him a FAIR long term deal, which he thumbed his nose at. He wants Fitzgerald $ while he hasn't ever produced on his level.

BURGH86STEEL
08-04-2012, 05:04 PM
BINGO. They offered him a FAIR deal and wanted Fitzgerald $, which he does not deserve. But he will be practicing soon; he can't afford to not have a great year. If he sits out most of the year, his stock for his next contract tumbles big time.
What was the deal they offered him? I am curious to know the guaranteed money that Wallace was offered. I don't believe the value of the contract was the issue. I believe the guaranteed money is the issue from Wallace's stand point.

If history is any indication, his stock will not tumble. There is always a team willing to pay. I don't believe Wallace will sign an extension with the Steelers.

Oviedo
08-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Dont hate the playa.

Inever hate anyone I've never met, however I do despise greed!!!!!

Discipline of Steel
08-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Inever hate anyone I've never met, however I do despise greed!!!!!

If the word hate was in my lexicon, i would apply it to Meion Sanders...but lucky for him its not :)

NorthCoast
08-05-2012, 10:27 AM

That's exactly my feeling this morning after reading the NFL roundup. A player that truly loves the game WANTS to be there with his team. This is about money and it has been said time and again the Steelers offer fair contracts. If Wallace even just signs his tender, he will make more in this year than the average family does in their entire lifetimes... Wallace can make it happen anytime he chooses, to the Steelers disappointment he has chosen not to.

feltdizz
08-05-2012, 10:47 AM
I hope Mike has a change of heart but I'm thankful we have other weapons at WR. The depth at his position really puts him in a tough position.

steelnavy
08-05-2012, 11:46 AM

Seriously, what is with the splitting hairs? I thought Crash was on vacation... You know what I meant. He CAN get paid $2.7M this year if he signs before the season starts, therefor I DON'T feel sorry for him for not signing. Nobody said he was violating anything, except maybe the laws of logical thinking... Anything else that I didn't write perfectly that you would like to dissect even though it doesn't really change the meaning at all?

RuthlessBurgher
08-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Seriously, what is with the splitting hairs? I thought Crash was on vacation... You know what I meant. He CAN get paid $2.7M this year if he signs before the season starts, therefor I DON'T feel sorry for him for not signing. Nobody said he was violating anything, except maybe the laws of logical thinking... Anything else that I didn't write perfectly that you would like to dissect even though it doesn't really change the meaning at all?

You may think it is just semantics, because in the end, the player is not in camp in either case, but I think the Ward/Merriweather/Jones-Drew holdouts are dishonorable (I know what my father would think if I would ever break a contract that I chose to sign), whereas Wallace is merely trying to be paid properly after being sorely underpaid compared to every other WR in the league for the last 3 seasons (he made $1.7 million total...minus taxes, agent fees, etc., for 3 seasons of 171 catches for 3206 yards at 18.7 yards per catch and 24 TD's). Wallace hasn't signed any contract, and therefore hasn't broken trust (which to me, is an awfully important distinction)...this is all just straight business. You may think I am just dissecting your words and splitting hairs, but I think it changes the meaning completely. Ward and Merriweather and Jones-Drew signed their contracts willingly. However, they chose to hold out of camp despite having a signed contract. To me, your word is your bond, and these men did not live up to their word...their contracts stated that they had to be in camp by a certain time, and they chose not to show up as a means of protest in order to get more money. I don't like it when men do live up to their word...but that's just me. Wallace has done no such thing. Therefore, I have no problem with Wallace.

flippy
08-06-2012, 01:31 PM
You may think it is just semantics, because in the end, the player is not in camp in either case, but I think the Ward/Merriweather/Jones-Drew holdouts are dishonorable (I know what my father would think if I would ever break a contract that I chose to sign), whereas Wallace is merely trying to be paid properly after being sorely underpaid compared to every other WR in the league for the last 3 seasons (he made $1.7 million total...minus taxes, agent fees, etc., for 3 seasons of 171 catches for 3206 yards at 18.7 yards per catch and 24 TD's). Wallace hasn't signed any contract, and therefore hasn't broken trust (which to me, is an awfully important distinction)...this is all just straight business. You may think I am just dissecting your words and splitting hairs, but I think it changes the meaning completely. Ward and Merriweather and Jones-Drew signed their contracts willingly. However, they chose to hold out of camp despite having a signed contract. To me, your word is your bond, and these men did not live up to their word...their contracts stated that they had to be in camp by a certain time, and they chose not to show up as a means of protest in order to get more money. I don't like it when men do live up to their word...but that's just me. Wallace has done no such thing. Therefore, I have no problem with Wallace.

Since the contracts aren't guaranteed by the teams, they can always choose not to live up to their side of the bargain at any time. So there's really no difference imho. If the contracts were guaranteed like they are in other sports, then the difference (although subtle) would be more distinct.

ie. if the teams don't ever have to live up to their word, then why should the players be held to that standard?

From my fan point of view, I don't care what a guy makes. I want them to make the least possible that still keeps them happy and productive, but leaves extra money for other players so my team can be as good as possible and win more SuperBowls.

I feel as a fan like I'm the one being held hostage in these negotiations. I just want my player in camp and healthy and I don't want my team overpaying.

At the end of the day, the Steelers and Wally will both be well taken care of. I just feel sorry for the poor kid that owns a Wally jersey and doesn't know if his favorite player will be a Steeler any longer.

fezziwig
08-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Some players play fo the love of the game, wanting a championship, to be a part of a team or just for the money. It would be nice to have all those things when you sign but, I doubt it ends up that way for many. I think money is Wallaces main attraction. Me, I'm a team player first and then I worry about the money. I'm very loyal to my family and friends and to my co-workers which happen to be my employees.
Is it wrong that Wallace wants the top, top dollar ? Probably not but, money isn't everything. No guarantee he will get a SB win with the Steelers or anyother team but I like his chances with us. He'll make new friends and fans wherever he goes so that isn't an issue for him. The dude wants the money and that is all that matters to him so...........let him do what pleases him and forget about it. We won before Wallace and we will win after Wallace. For the scratch he is asking for I say let him go and use that coin on building an ever better Steeler team.
Mike, ask Merriweather, Thigpen, Carnell Lake, Santonio, Faneca if it was worth the extra dollars to leave an icon of a team. Their pride might tell you one thing but deep in their hearts, they would have loved to remain a Steeler.

pittpete
08-06-2012, 02:24 PM
He can sit out all of training camp and then sign the tender w/o even losing a dime?
Anyone know this answer?
Seems like his type of character.

ter1230_4
08-06-2012, 03:33 PM

Wallace is a Restricted Free Agent. He has not yet earned the right to be paid market value. That will come after he plays one more season and becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent. That's not hate, that's fact.

RuthlessBurgher
08-06-2012, 03:35 PM
He can sit out all of training camp and then sign the tender w/o even losing a dime?
Anyone know this answer?
Seems like his type of character.

You can't fine a guy for missing camp if he isn't signed to a contract. On the other hand, the Jags are allowed to fine MJD for missing camp, because he still has 2 years left on his deal and is holding out.

If Wallace doesn't show up when the games actually start, then he'd lose that money (about $170K per game...1/16th of that RFA tender for each game missed).

RuthlessBurgher
08-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Wallace is a Restricted Free Agent. He has not yet earned the right to be paid market value. That will come after he plays one more season and becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent. That's not hate, that's fact.

Antonio Brown wasn't even a restricted free agent yet, and he got paid above market value in spite of having a fraction of the production Wallace has put up.

squidkid
08-06-2012, 03:57 PM

wallace was not sorely underpaid the last 3 years. the cba, him, the steelers and his agent all agreed that the deal that was offered to wallace was fair. wallace was not forced to sign it. he could have refused if he wanted to.(did the steelers ask limas sweed to give back his money because he was 'sorely overpaid')?
wallace is also being offered the absolute most he can be legally given this year based on his cba rules. so he is being paid properly, actually he was offered more than he could have been and he also could have had his offer reduced on june 15th, but the steelers took the high road and bargained in good faith. so actually, wallace did break trust when he had the chance to sign his tender and continue to negotiate but chose not to.

squidkid
08-06-2012, 03:59 PM
Antonio Brown wasn't even a restricted free agent yet, and he got paid above market value in spite of having a fraction of the production Wallace has put up.

yup, and the resaon is because brown worked hard, played hard, said the right things and displayed being a team player. wallace chose not to do those things.

Decleater
08-06-2012, 04:07 PM
None of us know what's going on behind the scene so...let's hope MW signs his tender tomorrow and reports to camp in time to play against the eagles. Truth is, we need him. He's a specialist.

birtikidis
08-06-2012, 04:14 PM
I think Wallace out performed his last contract, and I think that performance dictates his next contract. Just because he signed a rookie contract, does not mean he is not deserving of a substantial raise. The Steelers have a history of signing guys to extensions BEFORE their current one expires. In my opinion he's earned it. Football is a game that can end in an instant. Would you sacrafice all of your future earning power for a temporary contract?

BURGH86STEEL
08-06-2012, 04:17 PM
yup, and the resaon is because brown worked hard, played hard, said the right things and displayed being a team player. wallace chose not to do those things.
Based on your opinion, the Steelers should cast Wallace aside like they did Santonio Holmes. I've never heard anything to suggest that Wallce didn't work hard, play hard, or that he wasn't a team player. Wallace never said anything except, "don't believe everything you hear".

It's one thing to disagree with Wallace's tactics. It's another thing to make things up to make Wallce look bad.

ter1230_4
08-07-2012, 03:51 AM
Based on your opinion, the Steelers should cast Wallace aside like they did Santonio Holmes. I've never heard anything to suggest that Wallce didn't work hard, play hard, or that he wasn't a team player. Wallace never said anything except, "don't believe everything you hear".

It's one thing to disagree with Wallace's tactics. It's another thing to make things up to make Wallce look bad.

No need to make up things to make Wallace look bad, he's doing a great job of that without any help at all. Think about the message he's sending by holding out--pay me like I'm an unrestricted free agent now (which he's not) or else I'm going to sit out the first 10 games of the season and show up for the last 6 games only because that's what I have to do to be eligible to be an unrestricted free agent next year. Put as much lipstick on that pig as you want and it's still a pig.

Oviedo
08-07-2012, 05:13 AM
I think Wallace out performed his last contract, and I think that performance dictates his next contract. Just because he signed a rookie contract, does not mean he is not deserving of a substantial raise. The Steelers have a history of signing guys to extensions BEFORE their current one expires. In my opinion he's earned it. Football is a game that can end in an instant. Would you sacrafice all of your future earning power for a temporary contract?

He was offered a substantial raise (at least what Brown got but reportedly $9M per year) and by all accounts turned it down. He wants more than a substantial raise. He wants top 3 WR money and he doesn't deserve it.

Oviedo
08-07-2012, 05:15 AM

Nobody can make Mike Wallace look bad except Mike Wallace. He has done everything wrong throughout this process that he possibly could. Way overplayed his hand, failed to follow simple guidance to show up and we keep talking, etc. Mike Wallace did all that. No one turned him away.

Ghost
08-07-2012, 08:50 AM
I can't spealk to the validity of this, but wasn't it reported (I know I read it here a few times) that it was Wallace who made the decision to not report and that's actually going against his agent's advice, who told him the Steelers would not deal with a person not in camp. If true, then this is all on him (and he has every right to make that decision).

I'd love to know how close the two side really are in these discussions. Is he really asking for top 3/5 money and knows the Steelers won't pay it, so why not hold out, or are we talking about a couple of million that could be somewhat easily negotiated on or redistributed across the lifetime of the contract?

Other than having to be aware of his speed; I don't believe teams are game planning around Wallace.

RuthlessBurgher
08-07-2012, 01:40 PM
No need to make up things to make Wallace look bad, he's doing a great job of that without any help at all. Think about the message he's sending by holding out--pay me like I'm an unrestricted free agent now (which he's not) or else I'm going to sit out the first 10 games of the season and show up for the last 6 games only because that's what I have to do to be eligible to be an unrestricted free agent next year. Put as much lipstick on that pig as you want and it's still a pig.

Sitting out 10 games is Wallace's strategy now? Where did you hear this? From Wallace? His agent? Colbert? Omar Khan? The only places that I have heard the sit out the first 10 games strategy is from talking heads in the media or from fans on message boards, not from anyone actually involved in the situation firsthand.

ter1230_4
08-07-2012, 11:27 PM
Sitting out 10 games is Wallace's strategy now? Where did you hear this? From Wallace? His agent? Colbert? Omar Khan? The only places that I have heard the sit out the first 10 games strategy is from talking heads in the media or from fans on message boards, not from anyone actually involved in the situation firsthand.

I know I'm only a fan on a message board, but isn't the only logical reason for Wallace not to sign his tender and report to training camp is that by doing so he is impliedly threatening not to report until the last possible moment unless the Steelers give him a long term contract on his terms? And the last possible moment is after the tenth week of the season because he will still get credit for the season and become an unrestricted free agent for next season. I assume that he has no intention of missing the entire season, because then he would be a restricted free agent again next season, sort of like Groundhog Day. It is difficult to conceive of a more shamelessly selfish strategy, which is why the Steelers are (a) not going to negotiate with him until he signs his tender, and (b) not going to trade him come hell or high water. If Wallace wants his big payday this year he can only get it from the Steelers.