PDA

View Full Version : Clark wants to play in Denver

fordfixer
08-02-2012, 01:00 AM
Clark begged Tomlin to play in season opener in Denver

http://www.heraldstandard.com/sports/steelers/clark-begged-tomlin-to-play-in-season-opener-in-denver/article_3e7a8432-e2ec-5fe7-8feb-3407c7697310.html

By Jim Wexell For HeraldStandard.com

Posted on July 31, 2012

LATROBE — Ryan Clark said he has “begged” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin “all offseason” to play in the opener in Denver, but Clark says the coach won’t listen.

“Heck, he wouldn’t let me play in a playoff game there,” Clark said. “He won’t let me play this one, either.”

Clark, of course, has health issues that are severely aggravated when playing in high elevation. He’ll give way once again to Ryan Mundy, who replaced Clark at free safety in the playoff game last year and was one of the stung and stunned defenders walking off the field after Tim Tebow’s 80-yard touchdown pass in overtime.

Mundy, nor anyone else, was back to help cornerback Ike Taylor wrestle Demaryius Thomas to the ground as the Broncos’ wide receiver took a slant over the middle for the score.

“I was in position for the called defense,” said Mundy. “I was supposed to be at the line of scrimmage for run support and that’s where I was. But they had a good call for the defense that we had. We had run that defense numerous times throughout the game. They had run like 23 out of 26 times on first down, so they had a good call on.”

The Steelers called an inverted cover-2 and cornerbacks Taylor and William Gay were supposed to back off the line prior to the snap and an inside linebacker was supposed to drop a few steps into the passing lane. None of the three players did as expected, but many still point the finger at the free safety.

“Do I get frustrated sometimes? Maybe a little bit but I don’t let it bother me,” Mundy said. “I know I have the confidence of my teammates and my coaches. Like I said, I’m excited about what the future holds.”

What the future holds this time is Peyton Manning at quarterback for the Broncos and not Tebow.

“It’s going to be a big challenge for our defense,” Mundy said. “We have high goals as a secondary. It’s going to be a good start for us.”

aggiebones
08-02-2012, 04:27 PM
I could see dressing him and limiting the number of snaps, if a doctor would give such a number. Give him a backs number of snaps, no more and have it as a hard number. 20 plays.

RuthlessBurgher
08-02-2012, 04:29 PM
If he didn't play in a playoff game in Denver back in January, he won't play in a week 1 game only 8 months later.

I want to play in Denver too, but there's just as much of a likelihood of that happening as Clark suiting up.

skyhawk
08-02-2012, 05:36 PM
I don't get it. I think he was already cleared by his doctors last year. They are just using extreme caution. He has sickle cell trait but his spleen has been removed. Therefore there should be no reason now that he can't play at higher altitudes like everyone one else. Since the spleen isn't there there is no chance that what happened to him in the past will happen now. No spleen to rupture now.

fordfixer
08-02-2012, 09:21 PM
If he didn't play in a playoff game in Denver back in January, he won't play in a week 1 game only 8 months later.

I want to play in Denver too, but there's just as much of a likelihood of that happening as Clark suiting up.
Maybe you could play for Denver that would give us the biggest advantage:D

Chadman
08-03-2012, 09:38 AM
“Do I get frustrated sometimes? Maybe a little bit but I don’t let it bother me,” Mundy said. “I know I have the confidence of my teammates and my coaches. Like I said, I’m excited about what the future holds.”

It could be the honours-student in English coming out of Chadman here, but "Like I said" is improperly used here- simply because Mr Mundy NEVER SAID he was excited about the future before saying "Like I said". If you are going to do 'interview jargon'- at least get it right.

flippy
08-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Maybe I'm over analyzing, but it sounds like Clark may want to play to ensure he has a starting job in week 2.

Could he be worried we might be better in coverage without him on the field?

RuthlessBurgher
08-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Maybe I'm over analyzing, but it sounds like Clark may want to play to ensure he has a starting job in week 2.

Could he be worried we might be better in coverage without him on the field?

Considering the competition is Ryan Mundy, I think he can rest assured that his spot in the lineup is safe.

Slapstick
08-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Considering the competition is Ryan Mundy, I think he can rest assured that his spot in the lineup is safe.

You post as though Ryan Mundy played poorly when given the opportunity...

He didn't...

RuthlessBurgher
08-03-2012, 12:26 PM
You post as though Ryan Mundy played poorly when given the opportunity...

He didn't...

I think Mundy is a solid backup safety for both spots. But do I think he is better than Ryan Clark? No.

Ryan Mundy is kind of the Ramon Foster of the defensive backfield. A guy you like to have for depth. Is able to hold his own when he starts. Underrated by Steeler fans in general. But he isn't a world beater either. I think he's a bridge-type player who could hold the fort for us until we are able to draft Troy and Clark's eventual replacements in the next draft or two.

Oviedo
08-03-2012, 01:08 PM
I think Mundy is a solid backup safety for both spots. But do I think he is better than Ryan Clark? No.

Ryan Mundy is kind of the Ramon Foster of the defensive backfield. A guy you like to have for depth. Is able to hold his own when he starts. Underrated by Steeler fans in general. But he isn't a world beater either. I think he's a bridge-type player who could hold the fort for us until we are able to draft Troy and Clark's eventual replacements in the next draft or two.

Well they better draft though eventiual replacements before the bridge falls down because Mundy is very average. Like Foster he needs to be a back-up who is only on the field in an emergency. He is however better than Foster in that he at least plays on Special teams.

flippy
08-03-2012, 01:39 PM

I was thinking along the lines of having a nickle as your base D against Denver and a lot of other teams with this turning into a passing league. And instead of having 2 traditional safeties, you might go with Troy and 4 corners (Allen, Brown, Lewis, and Ike) with Timmons and Spence used in an almost hybrid role in the middle of the field both being pretty capable of bringing an equivalent or better skill set to the table than Clark has.

And then you rotate a front 4 consisting of Kiesel, Hood, McClendon, Heyward, Woodley, Tam, Jimmy Hate, Hampton. And if you mixed up that line enough with speed and size, you could really throw off the Oline trying to block 4 guys.

Oviedo
08-03-2012, 01:42 PM
He is a big boy, if he feels he can play and the doctors give him the green light then put him on the field. We can't put the only decent FS we have on the bench everytime we play the Broncos at their house. I always had high hopes for Mundy but he has proven to be an inadequete replacement.

The AFC North is going to be a catfight this year between the Steelers, Ravens and Bumgals. Can't afford to have anything less than "all hands on deck" for every game.

costanza2k1
08-03-2012, 03:29 PM
he shouldn't risk this for 1 game...we need him for the long haul.

Slapstick
08-03-2012, 03:30 PM
He is a big boy, if he feels he can play and the doctors give him the green light then put him on the field. We can't put the only decent FS we have on the bench everytime we play the Broncos at their house. I always had high hopes for Mundy but he has proven to be an inadequete replacement.

The AFC North is going to be a catfight this year between the Steelers, Ravens and Bumgals. Can't afford to have anything less than "all hands on deck" for every game.

Mundy will be fine...he was in the right spot in OT in Denver...he's been a good backup when his number has been called...he played well against the Jets and Panthers last year...

Will he unseat Ryan Clark? No, but to characterize him as "inadequate" is something that has not been proven...

hawaiiansteel
08-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Mundy will be fine...he was in the right spot in OT in Denver...

are you sure about that? I thought he should have been a little closer to Demaryius Thomas on that last play...

hawaiiansteel
08-23-2012, 12:58 AM
Ryan Clark doesn’t hate the Ravens

Posted by Mike Florio on August 22, 201

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/ryanclarkonrayrice-e1345685462102.jpg?w=250

Ryan Clark apparently is mellowing in his advancing age.

The Steelers safety, who’ll turn 33 in October, recently said that he won’t gripe about the league office as much as he used to. Wednesday morning, Clark told NFL Network that, in reality, he doesn’t hate the Ravens.

“I don’t really hate them,” Clark said, via Kevin Patra of NFL Network. “I was working out with Terrell Suggs this summer, before his injury. He’s a really cool dude and he said it himself, he’s like, ‘People don’t understand that we only hate y’all two weeks or three out of the year.’”

Still, Clark didn’t appreciate the way the Ravens behaved in their 35-7 Week One win over the Steelers last season. “I will say this about the Ravens: That first game last year watching them dance on the field, seeing them fake an extra point while up 27 already, it allowed me to understand how much they actually dislike us as an organization as a coaching staff,” Clark said. “So it brooded and stirred up a little hate in me.”

But Clark realizes that the broader purpose of the game isn’t to beat the Ravens. “This organization, we worry about winning championships, we don’t focus on beating one team,” Clark said. “There won’t be Gatorade baths because we beat the Ravens, won’t be parties, won’t be bottle-popping and confetti, it will be one game on our journey to win the Super Bowl and I always look at it like that.”

This year, the two teams don’t get together until November 18, and they play twice in 15 days. There’s a chance they neither squad will be able to field 11 healthy players the following week.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/22/ryan-clark-doesnt-hate-the-ravens/