PDA

View Full Version : Wallace Predictions?-Play the game & go on record here...

pittpete
07-29-2012, 09:13 PM
I'll go first...
Thursday August 2nd Wallace signs his tender

ter1230_4
07-29-2012, 09:42 PM
I can't believe he'd be stupid enough to hold out for 10 regular season games (at $168,000 per game), especially since the Steelers have made it clear that they won't negotiate and they won't trade him. So after a decent interval has passed he will come back off of the ledge. I predict he'll sign his tender on August 17

Discipline of Steel
07-29-2012, 09:47 PM
His bargaining position for this year is null. Tone will talk him back to the team by the end of the week, Aug 3. He is only going to wait that long so it doesnt look as much like the Steelers won the bargaining game by signing AB instead.

JDSteeler
07-29-2012, 10:48 PM
Based upon Wally's undeniable stupidity thus far...I truly, and honestly believe that...

...he will "SIT-OUT" the entire season, lose the accrued season, and be back in the same place he started 2012.

Hope he has a BA Degree in "Couponing"...kinda hard to pay for food, gasoline, and utilities without any money!!

JD

Djfan
07-29-2012, 11:04 PM
I fear JD is right, but hope the rest of you are.

NorCal-Steeler
07-29-2012, 11:11 PM
I believe he will be traded for little value maybe a 3rd and 5th or 6th.

Eich
07-29-2012, 11:24 PM
Based upon Wally's undeniable stupidity thus far...I truly, and honestly believe that...

...he will "SIT-OUT" the entire season, lose the accrued season, and be back in the same place he started 2012.

Hope he has a BA Degree in "Couponing"...kinda hard to pay for food, gasoline, and utilities without any money!!

JD

He might be stupid but I don't think THAT stupid. I think worst-case, he holds out as long as possible and reports in November so that he doesnt lose credit for the season. At that point, he'd probably rides the bench.

Shawn
07-30-2012, 12:11 AM
He will sit out until game 10. The Steelers will sit him on the bench for the rest of the season. Next year he will sign with the Redskins for a 5 year 75 million dollar contract.

hawaiiansteel
07-30-2012, 12:41 AM
Wallace returns on Thursday, August 9th and says "Sorry that I was a butt head"...

http://belladotka.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Butt-Head.jpg

Oviedo
07-30-2012, 07:45 AM
I think this has been ego driven on Wallace's part from Day 1. He will be stupid about this and sit out until at least the week of the first game of the regular season. IMO this was pretty much guaranteed when he was humiliated by the Brown signing casting him the role of the greedy, egotistical WR...which by the way he has been!

calmkiller
07-30-2012, 08:01 AM
He will hold out at least 3 weeks.

flippy
07-30-2012, 08:55 AM
What's the trade deadline?

steelz09
07-30-2012, 10:29 AM
This is a tough one. I think he signs the tender and signs a long-term deal w/ the Steelers.

At a minimum, I hope he signs the tender and he plays for the Steelers in 2012 but he'll hit UFA and sign somewhere else next year.

Oviedo
07-30-2012, 10:36 AM
This is a tough one. I think he signs the tender and signs a long-term deal w/ the Steelers.

At a minimum, I hope he signs the tender and he plays for the Steelers in 2012 but he'll hit UFA and sign somewhere else next year.

IMO he'll only signs a long term deal if he has a sub-par season performance wise. He seems determined to have a big pay day no matter how he gets it.

Northern_Blitz
07-30-2012, 10:42 AM
What's the trade deadline?

I think a trade here is pretty much useless. Maybe we get a 4th round pick...although I guess what seemed like a useless trade with SH turned out OK.

I have always been in the "this will get done" camp and I still am. I may not be if it's not resolved by the end of the week.

steelz09
07-30-2012, 10:42 AM
IMO he'll only signs a long term deal if he has a sub-par season performance wise. He seems determined to have a big pay day no matter how he gets it.

But what if he holds out until week 10 (or whatever) and then plays sub-par or gets injured. Either way, that could cause him to lose millions upon millions. His options are not very good especially if he wants to play this year. By far his best option was the contract he was already offered. Now, his options are likely even less attractive. Outside of signing a long-term deal with the Steelers, his second best (safe option) is to not play AT ALL this season.

Oviedo
07-30-2012, 10:54 AM
But what if he holds out until week 10 (or whatever) and then plays sub-par or gets injured. Either way, that could cause him to lose millions upon millions. His options are not very good especially if he wants to play this year. By far his best option was the contract he was already offered. Now, his options are likely even less attractive. Outside of signing a long-term deal with the Steelers, his second best (safe option) is to not play AT ALL this season.

Not playing at all does nothing because he doesn't accrue his required service time. I don't really give a flying fart whether he likes his options or has good options. He and only he put himself in this situation by overplaying his hand and getting greedy.

If he comes back and doesn't play up to his potential then he will directly effect his marketability. Sucks to be him but he did this to himself.

Slapstick
07-30-2012, 10:59 AM
I think a trade here is pretty much useless. Maybe we get a 4th round pick...although I guess what seemed like a useless trade with SH turned out OK.

I disagree about the 4th round pick. The Browns gave up a 2nd round pick in next year's draft for pot-head Gordon...

Some team will be willing and able to pony up a significant pick...

papillon
07-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Not playing at all does nothing because he doesn't accrue his required service time. I don't really give a flying fart whether he likes his options or has good options. He and only he put himself in this situation by overplaying his hand and getting greedy.

If he comes back and doesn't play up to his potential then he will directly effect his marketability. Sucks to be him but he did this to himself.

Unfortunately, it doesn't suck too bad to be him. He can hold out and join the team in the 10th week to accrue the final year he needs to be eligible for UFA. If he comes back in the 10th week, chances are he won't play or very little limiting the possibility of injury and getting paid $168,000 per game while doing it. Then next year rolls around the Steelers may or may not franchise him and he can negotiate a contract with any team in the league. It may not be the one he wants, but someone will still pay him pretty good money to be on their team. I don't expect to see Mike Wallace until week 10, then very little of him on the field and he'll try his hand at UFA next year.

And, so it goes with WR Divas...they're an interesting bunch the wide receivers of the NFL. Somewhere along the way they have decided that they are more important to teams than quarterbacks, this self-importance is leading to interesting scenarios.

Pappy

steelz09
07-30-2012, 11:18 AM

Good point. I forgot about the eligibility requirement. If he sits out until week 10, I'd be really surprised if the Steelers showed him much playing time. It's just not their style.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Pre-season game 1 is Thursday, August 9th.

I think he shows up one week before that to get himself involved in the pre-season

RuthlessBurgher
07-30-2012, 03:53 PM
He'll be back. Colbert said that Wallace is not on the trade market. Colbert still wants to sign him long-term, and when Colbert wants his man, Colbert pretty much always gets his man. I'd imagine that in the near future, Wallace will receive calls from Hines explaining what happened when he held out of camp, Ben will call him and talk about how special they can be in this new offense, his B.F.F. Keenan Lewis will call and challenge him to face off against each other in camp practices now that they should both be starters, etc. He'll report within a week, and will be signed long term within a week or two after that. He'll get only a little bit more total dollars than Brown got, but the major difference with be a signing bonus that is likely twice what Brown got, and total guaranteed dollars (via roster bonuses and other creative provisions) may be nearly triple what Brown got.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
07-30-2012, 05:57 PM
He'll be back. Colbert said that Wallace is not on the trade market. Colbert still wants to sign him long-term, and when Colbert wants his man, Colbert pretty much always gets his man. I'd imagine that in the near future, Wallace will receive calls from Hines explaining what happened when he held out of camp, Ben will call him and talk about how special they can be in this new offense, his B.F.F. Keenan Lewis will call and challenge him to face off against each other in camp practices now that they should both be starters, etc. He'll report within a week, and will be signed long term within a week or two after that. He'll get only a little bit more total dollars than Brown got, but the major difference with be a signing bonus that is likely twice what Brown got, and total guaranteed dollars (via roster bonuses and other creative provisions) may be nearly triple what Brown got.

Ruth, for the first time in memory you have let me down ... I thought for SURE you were going to have a picture of Dudley Do-right or some Canadian Mountie to follow that phrase! :p :tt1:Cheers

AkronSteel
07-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Wallace will sign an extension by the time camp breaks!!! He will get somewhere between Antonio Brown's contract and Desean Jackson's contract number wise. Somewhere in the vicinity of 5 years 47 million with 20 guaranteed. I think we are all really over-reacting to this situation. The kid is special and deserves to be paid that way. The Steelers will get their man because they always do. They will figure out a way to make it right for everyone all the way around. There is a stand-off right now but it will be resolved and by the time Denver rolls around on the calendar we will have all forgotten about this whole situation. Wallace has too many reasons not to sign an extension with the Steelers than to play hardball forever. Roethlisberger, Wallace, and Brown will make for a very potent passing game for years to come!!!

squidkid
07-30-2012, 06:20 PM

OR

Unfortunately, it doesn't suck too bad to be him. He can hold out and join the team in the 10th week to accrue the final year he needs to be eligible for UFA. If he comes back in the 10th week, chances are he won't play or very little limiting the possibility of injury and getting paid $168,000 per game while doing it. Then next year rolls around the Steelers may or may not franchise him and he can negotiate a contract with any team in the league. It may not be the one he wants, but someone will still pay him pretty good money to be on their team. I don't expect to see Mike Wallace until week 10, then very little of him on the field and he'll try his hand at UFA next year.

Good work fellas, saved me from doing all the typing.
I really think these are the only logical options.

grotonsteel
07-30-2012, 11:05 PM
Steelers will sign Mike Wallace. Steelers FO knows what Mike Wallace brings on table.

Mike Wallace will show up on Aug-11.

Mike Wallace deal:

6 yr - 54 million (22 million guaranteed)

williar
07-31-2012, 12:01 AM

I sure do hope this is how it all plays out...

RuthlessBurgher
07-31-2012, 12:28 AM
Ruth, for the first time in memory you have let me down ... I thought for SURE you were going to have a picture of Dudley Do-right or some Canadian Mountie to follow that phrase! :p :tt1:Cheers

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXna4z0GrHJN0tW5aVRLvblakdNxI2m afD3QrZAgP9Qy63nrIlsQ http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbgb6C8pw0CRnLD_fRuIp_uh2lyWgGS QklZw0drQWYUTZL3_xKiE9YaN8P

SanAntonioSteelerFan
07-31-2012, 12:49 AM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXna4z0GrHJN0tW5aVRLvblakdNxI2m afD3QrZAgP9Qy63nrIlsQ http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbgb6C8pw0CRnLD_fRuIp_uh2lyWgGS QklZw0drQWYUTZL3_xKiE9YaN8PYES! All is right with the world now! (And I predict Wallace will now sign tomorrow!).
:grin::Cheers

SanAntonioSteelerFan
07-31-2012, 06:25 PM
...And I predict Wallace will now sign tomorrow! ...

Hmm, things aren't looking too good for me to win this prize ... what was that prize again??

Decleater
07-31-2012, 07:40 PM
I don't look for Wallace to show up until the start of regulation play. I doubt if he'll hold out for the first ten games because it might brand him a troublemaker. I also doubt he'll be at TC or play in preseason games simply because he doesn't have to.

fordfixer
08-01-2012, 01:19 AM
http://www.nknfl.com/images/0609/Nike%20Pittsburgh%20Steelers%2017%20Wallace%20Yell ow%20and%20Black%2080th%20Throwback%20Jerseys.jpg

He will sign the day after they don't have to wear this any more

phillyesq
08-01-2012, 10:56 AM
I originally though that Wallace would get close to the contract that Brown signed and that he would be in camp right around this time. Obviously, I was incorrect.

Wallace is in a tough position, through his own doing. If he signs the tender and shows up now, it's going to be hard for him to save face. I think he'll show closer to the end of the preseason and play in perhaps the last preseason game. Ultimately, if he wants to get paid, he needs a big year, and sitting out and lacking familiarity with the offense is to his detriment.

I'm less optimistic that he signs long term. I would not give him $10/million per year that he wants because, unlike Vincent and DeSean Jackson, he is not facing a franchise tag or UFA. The Steelers can control him both this year and next under the tag. He and his agent need to account for that.

RuthlessBurgher
08-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Hmm, things aren't looking too good for me to win this prize ... what was that prize again??

You get foiled again, of course...

http://www.thejayfk.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/foiled-again.jpg

Oviedo
08-01-2012, 02:27 PM
I originally though that Wallace would get close to the contract that Brown signed and that he would be in camp right around this time. Obviously, I was incorrect.

Wallace is in a tough position, through his own doing. If he signs the tender and shows up now, it's going to be hard for him to save face. I think he'll show closer to the end of the preseason and play in perhaps the last preseason game. Ultimately, if he wants to get paid, he needs a big year, and sitting out and lacking familiarity with the offense is to his detriment.

I'm less optimistic that he signs long term. I would not give him $10/million per year that he wants because, unlike Vincent and DeSean Jackson, he is not facing a franchise tag or UFA. The Steelers can control him both this year and next under the tag. He and his agent need to account for that.

Wallace should accept the contract that Brown signed. It is a fair contract for all involved. The problem is completely Wallace and being unreasonable. He has completely overplayed his hand. Worse yet he was playing with an organization that doesn't lose and can't be pressured.

papillon
08-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Wallace should accept the contract that Brown signed. It is a fair contract for all involved. The problem is completely Wallace and being unreasonable. He has completely overplayed his hand. Worse yet he was playing with an organization that doesn't lose and can't be pressured.

Well, they can be pressured; it just doesn't do any good and, it seems, Mike Wallace and/or his agent haven't figured that out yet.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
08-01-2012, 04:11 PM

Why not give him a contract similar to what Shady McCoy signed? It's slightly more money than Brown got (so Wallace saves some face) but not much more (so the Steelers save some face as well). It's got the same $8.5 million signing bonus that Brown got, but more guaranteed money overall (first 3 seasons' salaries fully guaranteed).

Inside LeSean McCoy's $45M contract extension
By Brian McIntyre NFL.com
Published: May 22, 2012 at 12:02 p.m.
Updated: May 22, 2012 at 12:59 p.m.

Late last week, the Philadelphia Eagles signed running back LeSean McCoy to a five-year extension worth $45 million. With McCoy already under contract through this season, the new extension locked McCoy up through 2017 for $45.615 million over the next six seasons. According to a source knowledge of the specifics of the contract, here's how McCoy's deal breaks down:

2012: McCoy received an $8.5 million signing bonus, which will be prorated against the cap through the 2016 season ($1.7 million per year) and the $615,000 McCoy was scheduled to earn in the final year of his rookie contract has been fully guaranteed (skill, injury and cap). McCoy's cap number has increased from $957,533 to $2,657,533.

2013: $3 million in fully guaranteed base salary, a $100,000 workout bonus and up to $150,000 in per game active roster bonuses ($9,375 per game). If McCoy is active for all 16 games, his cap number in 2013 would be $4.95 million.

2014: $7.65 million in fully guaranteed base salary, a $100,000 workout bonus and up to $250,000 in per game active roster bonuses ($15,625 per game). If McCoy is active for all 16 games, his cap number in 2014 will be $9.7 million.

As long as McCoy is active for all 48 games, the cash payout over the first three years of the contract is $20.365 million, with $19.75 million of that amount representing "new money" and an additional $1 million guaranteed remaining over the final three years of the contract.

2015: $9.75 million in base salary, of which $1 million is fully guaranteed, a $250,000 workout bonus and $250,000 in per game active roster bonuses ($15,625 per game). If McCoy is active for all 16 games, his 2015 cap number will be $11.95 million.

2016: $6.9 million in base salary and a $250,000 workout bonus. McCoy's cap number is scheduled to be $8.85 million.

2017: $7.6 million in base salary and a $250,000 workout bonus. McCoy's cap number is scheduled to be $7.85 million.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82941f7d/article/inside-lesean-mccoys-45m-contract-extension

RuthlessBurgher
08-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Or how about a Steve Smith like contract?

4/10/2012: Signed a four-year, $37.75 million contract w/2016 Option. The deal contains $16.8 million guaranteed, including a $10 million signing bonus and each of Smith's first three base salaries. 2012: $1 million, 2013: $3.75 million, 2014: $4 million (+ $3 million option bonus), 2015: $7 million, 2016: $9 million (Option Year), 2017: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2386/steve-smith

RuthlessBurgher
08-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Okay, I found it...Arian Foster's contract...it's the Antonio Brown contract with a bigger signing bonus and more guaranteed money overall:

3/5/2012: Signed a five-year, $43.5 million contract. The deal contains $20.75 million guaranteed, including a $12.5 million signing bonus, Foster's first-year salary, and $3.25 million of his second-year salary. Foster is eligible for annual per-game roster bonuses worth up to $500,000 per year. 2012: $5 million, 2013: $5.25 million, 2014: $5.75 million, 2015: $6 million, 2016: $6.5 million, 2017: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5469/arian-foster

Slapstick
08-01-2012, 04:44 PM
From wht I've read in the past, the Steelers usually prefer not to guarantee salaries...

Sugar
08-01-2012, 05:31 PM
http://www.nknfl.com/images/0609/Nike%20Pittsburgh%20Steelers%2017%20Wallace%20Yell ow%20and%20Black%2080th%20Throwback%20Jerseys.jpg

He will sign the day after they don't have to wear this any more

Those things are dreadful. You'd have to pay me a lot of money to wear them.

steelz09
08-01-2012, 09:55 PM
They are really awful. I bet Hampton is really going to catch a bunch of 'crap' from his teammates about looking like a huge bumblebee.

fordfixer
08-01-2012, 10:55 PM
They are really awful. I bet Hampton is really going to catch a bunch of 'crap' from his teammates about looking like a huge bumblebee.
More like a whole hive of huge bumblebees:D

RuthlessBurgher
08-01-2012, 11:23 PM

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_len1i2fwjP1qcjf1mo1_500.jpg

AngryAsian
08-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Really over the diva antics. Yes I know he has special skills that impact our offense, yes he's Ben's favorite target... But how can you be a part of this team, immersed in the culture of the organization, get first hand 411 regarding the franchise's history regarding contract negotiations and come away with the logic he is now employing. Is he worth more than his 2.7 mill. paycheck this season? Sure he is. But you must be completely clueless to think that these tactics would work. Can't recall one WR diva that went elsewhere for greener (greenbacks) pastures and attained any true success (maybe Plaxico's handful of playoff catches with the G-men....but nothing sustained that would you would label better). Just can't fathom the idiocy of HOW he's choosing to handle things....like walking into an Apple Store asking for I.T. questions on Microsoft products.....just dumb.

Discipline of Steel
08-29-2012, 07:40 AM

I guess PhillyEsq was the winner of this contest...nice work!