PDA

View Full Version : does this change anyones opinion of wallace now?

squidkid
07-28-2012, 09:29 AM
http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/07/27/wallace-was-offered-more-than-brown/

Steelgal
07-28-2012, 10:12 AM
I read that last night. My opinion hasn't really changed because I didn't think he'd sign for that. He seems to want top 5 money and anything less than that he won't take. I don't think he's worth top 5 money either. If I'm not mistaken, he did an interview during the middle of last season and came across as quite arrogant. I think it was a national interview with both he and Brown. Ever since then, my opinion of him lowered. It was also very telling when a Ravens DB, Webb maybe??? said they thought Brown was more of a threat or harder to defend than Wallace.

I hope he gets the big money he wants, but from an NFC team. Hate to see him stay in the AFC.

Eddie Spaghetti
07-28-2012, 10:28 AM
nope, and I hope he decides to stay.

I can't blame wallace for wanting top dollar, nor do I blame the steelers for not wanting to pay it. This is a business and wallace has a finite time to make his money. Its his decision and his alone.

no hard feelings either way.

pittpete
07-28-2012, 10:40 AM

I can't blame wallace for wanting top dollar, nor do I blame the steelers for not wanting to pay it. This is a business and wallace has a finite time to make his money. Its his decision and his alone.

My sentiments exactly...
In my opinion though we signed the more complete football player..
If Sanders can stay healthy, next year we might be saying "Wallace who?"

birtikidis
07-28-2012, 10:57 AM
My sentiments exactly...
In my opinion though we signed the more complete football player..
If Sanders can stay healthy, next year we might be saying "Wallace who?"
I don't like saying "if"
Bc history says he's an injury risk, and that makes "if" nothing more than a hope.
but, I'd be ok with trading him to the rams or dolphins. At least if we can get a really good pick for him

grotonsteel
07-28-2012, 11:22 AM
I feel more comforable now that Mark Kaboly has proclaimed Mike Wallace will never sign with Steelers. It seems Mark Kaboly has an axe to grind against Mike Wallace. Isn't he the same guy who said Plex has almost signed with Steelers last season???

Nowhere in the article it says why Mike Wallace declined the offer? More guaranteed money or signing bonus?? What are his sources?? No details on contract whatsoever.

RuthlessBurgher
07-28-2012, 11:42 AM
This crap article didn't change my view one iota. Kaboly is wrong more than he is right. Where does he pull this from?

Wallace’s best option now is to not sign his tender until he has to (Nov. 13) and hope that the Steelers don’t franchise him next year so he can be an unrestricted free agent. There’s really nothing financially in it for Wallace to sign his tender and report to camp now.

How in the world is this Wallace's best option now? Antonio Brown's 2012 cap hit is essentially what we saved when we dumped Jonathan Scott. There is still room on our cap for a sizable Wallace extension now (a veteran minimum salary and the pro-rated portion of his signing bonus). His conclusion that Wallace's best bet would be to sit out until 11-13-12 is foolhardy at best.

Shoe
07-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Totally agreed. To wait til the absolute last moment, alienate & undermine future negotiations with the Steelers and make it seem (to the rest of the league) that you are problematic... and that is your "best option"?

Flasteel
07-28-2012, 01:00 PM
This crap article didn't change my view one iota. Kaboly is wrong more than he is right. Where does he pull this from?

How in the world is this Wallace's best option now? Antonio Brown's 2012 cap hit is essentially what we saved when we dumped Jonathan Scott. There is still room on our cap for a sizable Wallace extension now (a veteran minimum salary and the pro-rated portion of his signing bonus). His conclusion that Wallace's best bet would be to sit out until 11-13-12 is foolhardy at best.

Agreed 100%. The way I see it, Wallace has basically 3 options:
1. Sign the tender and report to camp. He could then either play for the $2.7M or reach agreement on a long-term contract before the season begins. He would be fully prepared for the season and could play with a fat, new bank account or show the world that he is deserving of a mega-deal in full free agency. Either way, he has an excellent opportunity to get what he wants.

2. Continue to hold out from camp, but report in time for the regular season. This would seemingly be idiotic. He would not be fully prepared for the season and the chances are that his production would be significantly impacted...at least early on. Since the Steelers will not be negotiating until he reports and considering they have another tradition of not negotiating any contracts during the season, this tactic makes no sense on any level. He gains nothing and hurts his chances to shine.

3. Hold out through week 10 and report. Not only would he be ill-prepared to step-in and contribute at this point, his numbers will do nothing to help him in the open market next year. On top of that, making yourself out to be a diva with an inflated sense of self-worth, is no way to win potential suitors over. Yeah, everyone knows it's a business and none of this will make Mike Wallace slower on a football field. But could anyone honestly see him doing better than 5 years and $50M on the open market after pulling something like that? I certainly don't. The only potentially redeeming thing about this option is the limited opportunity for injury...which is still about as lame of a reason as I can think of.

If it's true that Wallace turned down 5 years and $50M and he still thinks he can get more, then I see him and the Steelers at an impasse. In this scenario, I think a hold-out deep into the regular season becomes likely.

It comes down to one question Mike. Do you want to be a Pittsburgh Steeler?

SidSmythe
07-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Agreed 100%. The way I see it, Wallace has basically 3 options:
1. Sign the tender and report to camp. He could then either play for the $2.7M or reach agreement on a long-term contract before the season begins. He would be fully prepared for the season and could play with a fat, new bank account or show the world that he is deserving of a mega-deal in full free agency. Either way, he has an excellent opportunity to get what he wants.

2. Continue to hold out from camp, but report in time for the regular season. This would seemingly be idiotic. He would not be fully prepared for the season and the chances are that his production would be significantly impacted...at least early on. Since the Steelers will not be negotiating until he reports and considering they have another tradition of not negotiating any contracts during the season, this tactic makes no sense on any level. He gains nothing and hurts his chances to shine.

3. Hold out through week 10 and report. Not only would he be ill-prepared to step-in and contribute at this point, his numbers will do nothing to help him in the open market next year. On top of that, making yourself out to be a diva with an inflated sense of self-worth, is no way to win potential suitors over. Yeah, everyone knows it's a business and none of this will make Mike Wallace slower on a football field. But could anyone honestly see him doing better than 5 years and $50M on the open market after pulling something like that? I certainly don't. The only potentially redeeming thing about this option is the limited opportunity for injury...which is still about as lame of a reason as I can think of.

If it's true that Wallace turned down 5 years and $50M and he still thinks he can get more, then I see him and the Steelers at an impasse. In this scenario, I think a hold-out deep into the regular season becomes likely.

It comes down to one question Mike. Do you want to be a Pittsburgh Steeler?

Right on Indeed!! :Clap

steelz09
07-28-2012, 01:45 PM
I feel more comforable now that Mark Kaboly has proclaimed Mike Wallace will never sign with Steelers. It seems Mark Kaboly has an axe to grind against Mike Wallace. Isn't he the same guy who said Plex has almost signed with Steelers last season???

Nowhere in the article it says why Mike Wallace declined the offer? More guaranteed money or signing bonus?? What are his sources?? No details on contract whatsoever.

I just noticed Kaboly blocked me on Twitter because one day I busted his chops about when he made the comment: "The Plax signing is a done deal".

Oviedo
07-28-2012, 01:54 PM

I agree...no hard feelings but if Wallace is going to be unreasonable then ship him out so we can move on. If he has an issue with how the Steelers successfully do business trade him to someone who may please him.

squidkid
07-28-2012, 02:17 PM
I agree...no hard feelings but if Wallace is going to be unreasonable then ship him out so we can move on. If he has an issue with how the Steelers successfully do business trade him to someone who may please him.

Ovi, the problem i have with this is that we will receive a 3rd round comp pick when we lose him next year anyway. why settle for more than likely a second rounder when we control his rights for the next year or two. maybe someone gets hurt in preseason and some team gets desperate for a wr? maybe one of our guys gets hurt later in the year and we need him for the playoff run? as much as i would like to move on past this clown, part of me wants the steelers to stick to their guns and dont cave in to wallaces demands. RFA this year and franchise tag him next. let him make 12 million over 2 years and then get that 3rd round comp the next .

fezziwig
07-28-2012, 02:33 PM
I thought Wallace was handeling things with his ego and not his brains when this all went down. I don't fault a guy for wanting paid what he is worth but, he isn't in my opinion the x-factor when push comes to shove. If I recall his stats dropped off towardds the middle or end of the season. Maybe it's double coverage maybe it's something else but, for the money he wants his stats shouldn't drop off, he should be a constant and a game winning changer.
We will survive without him and we will do well too. Don't allow the departure of Wallace make you believe we can't win.
Let some other team over pay for the guy and rob other areas of their team from spending those dollars on a stronger unit. The Steelers know what they ae doing and that is what comforts me and allows me to rally around the players that we have and players that want to be a Steeler.

squidkid
07-28-2012, 02:39 PM
I thought Wallace was handeling things with his ego and not his brains when this all went down. I don't fault a guy for wanting paid what he is worth but, he isn't in my opinion the x-factor when push comes to shove. If I recall his stats dropped off towardds the middle or end of the season. Maybe it's double coverage maybe it's something else but, for the money he wants his stats shouldn't drop off, he should be a constant and a game winning changer.
We will survive without him and we will do well too. Don't allow the departure of Wallace make you believe we can't win.
Let some other team over pay for the guy and rob other areas of their team from spending those dollars on a stronger unit. The Steelers know what they ae doing and that is what comforts me and allows me to rally around the players that we have and players that want to be a Steeler.

great post.
i am having a hard time with all the posters that are supporting wallace and his reported outrageous demands. why are so many steeler fan hoping wallace gets 10-14 million per year that will ultimately hurt the teams chance at winning down the road is beyond me.

Decleater
07-28-2012, 02:43 PM
I think what the problem has grown into is a distraction for the team. The FO has decided to move on as a result. Sure, it would be nice to have Wallace sign a long term contract but it's not in the cards. I see it like management being a contractor making bids on jobs. He simply doesn't win all the jobs. And, he has set financial parameters to work within for each.

fezziwig
07-28-2012, 03:15 PM
thanks squidkid, we want players that have hwart lol. i don't see this being a distraction for the team and why would it be. when they are out on the field practicing i doubt any of them are worrying about mike wallace. they know it's just the way things are. if they're distracted by this kind of stuff then anything can get to them. they're probably more concerened about statying or getting in to shape, earning a spot on the team.

Eddie Spaghetti
07-28-2012, 03:28 PM
squidkid-

please show me one fan that is "hoping wallace gets 10-14 million per year". At least try and be factual instead of pulling stuff out of your backside.

most rational fans want the steelers to retain wallace somewhere near the 9 million per year mark. You, on the other hand, seem to want to throw a tantrum and make wild exaggerations.

the steelers are a better football team with mike wallace. Sorry you can't see that.

NorthCoast
07-28-2012, 03:50 PM
here's what keeps bugging me, we know Cleveland is far, far, far under the cap and they have no legitimate starting WR beyond Little. Why haven't they tried to offer Wallace a boatload of money? Something is amiss in this Wallace deal...

Oviedo
07-28-2012, 04:18 PM
The Steelers know what they ae doing and that is what comforts me and allows me to rally around the players that we have and players that want to be a Steeler.

This is the key part of what you said. The Steelers did not give Brown the contract they did just to tweak Wallace's nose. They see these guys everyday and obviously they made a value judgement that Brown was worth that money. Maybe they want Wallace but they aren't willing to break the bank for him. That speaks volumes.

It has been mentioned many times before that Wallace does not have a lot of leverage because of the depth we have at WR. He definitely has overplayed his hand from the time this thing started.

Va Steelr
07-28-2012, 04:24 PM
I agree 100%

squidkid
07-28-2012, 04:54 PM
squidkid-

please show me one fan that is "hoping wallace gets 10-14 million per year". At least try and be factual instead of pulling stuff out of your backside.

most rational fans want the steelers to retain wallace somewhere near the 9 million per year mark. You, on the other hand, seem to want to throw a tantrum and make wild exaggerations.

the steelers are a better football team with mike wallace. Sorry you can't see that.

its been reported that the steelers offered 10 million per year. he turned it down. numerous fans are siding with wallace stating that he should get as much money as possible. so, if 10 million isnt enough for wallace to sign for and fans are still supporting him for holding out, it shows to me that some fans want him to make more than 10 million. 10-14 million is more than 10 million.
wallace does make this team better, at a decent price. wallace doesnt make this team better if we arent able to sign other playhers that could help us. how can you not see that?

Sugar
07-28-2012, 05:24 PM
I really don't care how much Mike Wallace makes, but I would rather see him with the Steelers than not. Can they win without him? Sure, they absolutely can. However, they will be a better team with him than without him. I have no problem with him or the team. It's business and each side has their agenda.

ter1230_4
07-28-2012, 05:34 PM
I really don't care how much Mike Wallace makes, but I would rather see him with the Steelers than not. Can they win without him? Sure, they absolutely can. However, they will be a better team with him than without him. I have no problem with him or the team. It's business and each side has their agenda.

I am one of those Steelers fans that is really unhappy with Mike Wallace. If money is the most important thing in his life and he wants to get the most possible, I don't have any problem with that at all. What I do have a problem with is that he is completely ignoring the fact that he IS NOT AN UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT. He's only been in the NFL for three years, and is a restricted free agent. That's just the way the system works. The Steelers have acted in good faith throughout the process of negotiating with Wallace, as exemplified by the fact that they declined to reduce the tender by $2 million as they were entitled to do. And how does Wallace respond? By refusing to sign the tender and holding out. And let's face it, the only purpose to holding out is to threaten that you're not going to show up until week 10. Does that sound like a team player to anyone? So Wallace has done everything but act in good faith.

Contrast the actions of Wallace with those of a real Pittsburgh Steeler, Lamar Woodley. Two years ago Wodley was in the final year of his initial contract and scheduled to make $500,000. Because of the restrictions involved with the uncapped season, the Steelers were absolutely precluded from signing Woodley to any kind of reasonable extension. So Woodley was stuck playing for $500,000 that year. And what did Woodley do? He kept his mouth shut, showed up at the start of camp, played his ass off, helped get the Steelers to the Super Bowl, and got paid. Woodley wanted to be a Pittsburgh Steeler, Mike Wallace does not. I wouldn't trade Wallace, I'd let him stew. If he wants to show up for the final 6 games, then don't franchise him next year and take the 3rd round pick in 2014. The Steelers are bigger than Mike Wallce.

Sugar
07-28-2012, 05:42 PM
The Steelers are indeed bigger than Mike Wallace. That said, the Steelers have been around since 1933 and will be around for the foreseeable future. Mike Wallace will get a maximum NFL career of 10ish years. He's got to get all he can, while he can.

steelz09
07-28-2012, 08:11 PM
The Steelers are indeed bigger than Mike Wallace. That said, the Steelers have been around since 1933 and will be around for the foreseeable future. Mike Wallace will get a maximum NFL career of 10ish years. He's got to get all he can, while he can.

And that's fine too but if he wants more than what the Steelers think he's worth (rumor: 10mil/year) then he can play for someone else. Quite frankly, for over 10 million a year, I hope he does play for someone else. That is plenty for a one-trick poney.

hawaiiansteel
07-28-2012, 08:35 PM
If money is the most important thing in his life and he wants to get the most possible, I don't have any problem with that at all. What I do have a problem with is that he is completely ignoring the fact that he IS NOT AN UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT. He's only been in the NFL for three years, and is a restricted free agent. That's just the way the system works.

$$$$$$$$$$

Sugar
07-28-2012, 08:37 PM
And that's fine too but if he wants more than what the Steelers think he's worth (rumor: 10mil/year) then he can play for someone else. Quite frankly, for over 10 million a year, I hope he does play for someone else. That is plenty for a one-trick poney.

I guess it just depends on how much you value that trick. ;)

SteelCrazy
07-28-2012, 08:46 PM
The 50 million dollar contract Wallace was offered and he refused was probably back end loaded just like Brown's and that is why Wallace turned them down. Ed Bouchette and many others believe the Steelers will not offer any more contracts to Wallace, even if he signs the tender, because of Brown's new contract. Does everyone else agree?

Snatch98
07-28-2012, 08:49 PM
The 50 million dollar contract Wallace was offered and he refused was probably back end loaded just like Brown's and that is why Wallace turned them down. Ed Bouchette and many others believe the Steelers will not offer any more contracts to Wallace, even if he signs the tender, because of Brown's new contract. Does everyone else agree?

Right here right now I don't agree with Bouchette at all. Let's see where we are in a week or so. Brown signed the back loaded deal for a reason, otherwise why not offer him more money up front? I would wager they make another play at Wallace before the season starts unless something shakes out from the woodwork indicating otherwise in the near future.

Oviedo
07-28-2012, 09:16 PM
Personally I think the Steelers are totally prepared to move on without Wallace. If he doesn't show they won't talk so he might as well be in Siberia because he will be a non factor this season unless HE changes his attitude.

pfelix73
07-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Well, personally, I don't care if he comes back or not. He would make the team better though.

However, the way I look at it- business-wise, why should he be coerced into signing a contract he doesn't like? I sure as hell wouldn't. (sign something I don't believe in) Therefore, no contract, no play...oh well. Both parties will move on...

Slapstick
07-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Right here right now I don't agree with Bouchette at all. Let's see where we are in a week or so. Brown signed the back loaded deal for a reason, otherwise why not offer him more money up front? I would wager they make another play at Wallace before the season starts unless something shakes out from the woodwork indicating otherwise in the near future.

Until Wallace reports, they won't make another play at him...

flippy
07-29-2012, 04:26 AM
If I owned a Wallace jersey, I'd care more about getting him re-signed. I don't, so I just view him as another dime a dozen WR that Colbert/Tomlin are really good at drafting.

I'm not really big on paying a fortune for a WR, let alone one who disappeared in the second half of last season. I also blame him for disappearing in our SuperBowl loss to GreenBay. If we had kept Santonio for that season, I still think we would have won that game. But with the game on the line, Mike Wallace was no where to be found.

Oviedo
07-29-2012, 08:23 AM
When Plaxico lost some thought the sky was falling. When Holmes left some on this board predicted we would fail. When Wallace leaves we won't miss a beat. he will be replaced in the next draft. The standard is the standard.

flippy
07-29-2012, 09:39 AM
When Plaxico lost some thought the sky was falling. When Holmes left some on this board predicted we would fail. When Wallace leaves we won't miss a beat. he will be replaced in the next draft. The standard is the standard.

I still think a case could be made that we'd have #7 if we kept Santonio.

Heck we might even have #8 because Santonio woulda scored in Denver last year and that game wouldn't have went to OT.

BURGH86STEEL
07-29-2012, 12:01 PM
its been reported that the steelers offered 10 million per year. he turned it down. numerous fans are siding with wallace stating that he should get as much money as possible. so, if 10 million isnt enough for wallace to sign for and fans are still supporting him for holding out, it shows to me that some fans want him to make more than 10 million. 10-14 million is more than 10 million.
wallace does make this team better, at a decent price. wallace doesnt make this team better if we arent able to sign other playhers that could help us. how can you not see that?

10 million per year means nothing in regard to NFL contracts. Players rarely see X amount of dollars per year. The guaranteed/bonus money is where players make a huge % of their money and gain some security.

squidkid
07-29-2012, 01:32 PM
10 million per year means nothing in regard to NFL contracts. Players rarely see X amount of dollars per year. The guaranteed/bonus money is where players make a huge % of their money and gain some security.

i am well aware of that.
i am more than positive that the steelers offered wallace a very fair contract with a very large signing bonus that would gain him some security.
do you really think they didnt?

Eddie Spaghetti
07-29-2012, 01:36 PM
i am well aware of that.
i am more than positive that the steelers offered wallace a very fair contract with a very large signing bonus that would gain him some security.
do you really think they didnt?

what YOU think is fair might not fill a toilet bowl.

your name isn't mike wallace so YOU don't get to decide what HE thinks is fair.

get it?

squidkid
07-29-2012, 01:45 PM

get it?

and you dont get to decide what the rooneys should pay wallace either.........can you understand that?

Eddie Spaghetti
07-29-2012, 01:47 PM
I never claimed I did.

you, on the other hand, think you get to decide what is fair to mike wallace.

you dont.

squidkid
07-29-2012, 01:56 PM
you have stated 'pay the man his money' so obviously you know what is fair for him(just as much as you say i do) and are telling the rooneys to pay it.

Eddie Spaghetti
07-29-2012, 02:02 PM
I haven't said any such thing.

you are delusional.

squidkid
07-29-2012, 02:06 PM
really?

hope this deal gets done.

wallace has conducted himself like a true professional, despite the hysterics of some of the posters here.

he has been called lazy, greedy, selfish, and being in possession of an out of control ego, which is the exact opposite of what I have seen in the 3 years wallace has played WR here. the pile on has been pretty disheartening to watch.

the steelers have had a bargain in wallace. he has earned a fair deal.

pay that man his money.

Eddie Spaghetti
07-29-2012, 02:12 PM
oh well.

all that is true.

it's up to wallace to decide what he wants to play for. I also said 5 years 45 million sounded right to me, but I'm not mike wallace so it doesn't matter what I think. The tantrum you have thrown in every thread is extremely tiresome.

squidkid
07-29-2012, 02:14 PM
oh well.

all that is true.

it's up to wallace to decide what he wants to play for. I also said 5 years 45 million sounded right to me, but I'm not mike wallace so it doesn't matter what I think. The tantrum you have thrown in every thread is extremely tiresome.

that's what i thought:rolleyes:

Eddie Spaghetti
07-29-2012, 02:20 PM
don't think too hard, I know it taxes you.

I actually hope wallace signs even more now and has another pro bowl year just to see the reaction here.

steelz09
07-29-2012, 02:22 PM

get it?

I think my "fair" salary should be 250k a year. Does that mean my employer thinks that? No. Does that mean any employer thinks that? No.

It's like selling a house. I may get my house appraised at 200k and so I think that is the "fair" value. However, in reality, it doesn't matter what I think my house is worth and it doesn't matter how much the appraiser thinks it's worth. What really matters is what you can sell it for. If I can only sell it for 150K then then it doesn't matter what the "fair" value is.

Where am I going with this? Back to Mike Wallace. It doesn't matter what Mike thinks is fair and it doesn't matter what his agent thinks. It's a matter of what he can get. It's a choice Mike Wallace needs to make. Here are the options the way I see it:

1) Sign the tender and play this year. Become an UFA and possibly get an offer that matches what he thinks he's worth from a team not named the "Pittsburgh Steelers"

2) Hold out the majority of the year and possibly get what he THINKS he deserves next year from a team not named the "Pittsburgh Steelers"

3) Sign a long-term deal with the Steeler that might not equal what he thinks he's worth but might come close. It's job security and it's guaranteed money.

If he goes w/ #1, injury or a lackluster season could significantly impact his future negotiations. If he goes w/ #2, he could still get injured and he'll need to put up some stats in a short amount of time or it could hurt his future negotiations. Personally, I think he should have "man up" and signed because the other options are risky for him and his agent.

Eddie Spaghetti
07-29-2012, 02:27 PM
of course it matters what wallace.thinks is fair. That's is what's driving all this, I assume.

they may never get that and sign for less, but it most certainly matters.

squidkid
07-29-2012, 02:29 PM
don't think too hard, I know it taxes you.

I actually hope wallace signs even more now and has another pro bowl year just to see the reaction here.

is that your best effort at a comeback for being proven a liar?

sheeesh, talk about thinking too hard

Eddie Spaghetti
07-29-2012, 02:31 PM
a liar?

sorry for not archiving all my posts on the internet.

how old are you? 12?

hawaiiansteel
07-29-2012, 02:33 PM
It's like selling a house. I may get my house appraised at 200k and so I think that is the "fair" value. However, in reality, it doesn't matter what I think my house is worth and it doesn't matter how much the appraiser thinks it's worth. What really matters is what you can sell it for. If I can only sell it for 150K then then it doesn't matter what the "fair" value is.

it does matter what you think the "fair" value of your home is because if you don't get that price you may just opt not to sell it.

same for Mike Wallace, if he doesn't believe he is getting his "fair" value he won't agree to the contract offered. so it actually does matter quite a bit what Wallace thinks...

having said that, I believe Wallace will not be a Pittsburgh Steeler next season as he has overpriced himself right out of Pittsburgh.

steelz09
07-29-2012, 02:35 PM
of course it matters what wallace.thinks is fair. That's is what's driving all this, I assume.

they may never get that and sign for less, but it most certainly matters.

I don't think you're getting what I'm trying to explain. My point is that it doesn't matter what he thinks is fair if he wants to be employed this year or next. A person, a product, a service is only worth what people are willing to pay. If every team in the league thinks he's worth less than what he thinks is fair, guess what? He's not going to get the money he wants from ANY team.

Eddie Spaghetti
07-29-2012, 02:37 PM
hawaiian said it better than I did.

of course it matters what he wants whether he gets it or not.

a product or a service doesn't think for themselves. A person does.

squidkid
07-29-2012, 02:39 PM
a liar?

sorry for not archiving all my posts on the internet.

how old are you? 12?

how long are you going to try to save face?
i might as well say that i never said anything bad about wallace and i fully support him for holding out and hope that he breaks the cap for years to come. then when someone proves that i lied, i can say 'ooops, you caught me'. then i will proceed to try to insult them because i was wrongh and got busted........that would be cool.

Eddie Spaghetti
07-29-2012, 02:40 PM
I could give a rats ass about saving face on the internet junior.

try another angle.

steelz09
07-29-2012, 02:41 PM
it does matter what you think the "fair" value of your home is because if you don't get that price you may just opt not to sell it.

same for Mike Wallace, if he doesn't believe he is getting his "fair" value he won't agree to the contract offered. so it actually does matter quite a bit what Wallace thinks...

having said that, I believe Wallace will not be a Pittsburgh Steeler next season as he has overpriced himself right out of Pittsburgh.

Of course... that's the case. My analogy was more geared towards if you didn't have the option NOT to sell.

With that being said, let's use your added comment into my original analogy. If you want "fair" value for your home at 200k and I don't think that is fair value based on market conditions, I'm not paying it. As the person offering the house, I have to think... take less money now and have it guaranteed (Wallace Translation: Sign a long-term deal with the steelers), take it off the market for a year and try to get "fair" value then (Wallace Translation: Hold Out for Next Year), or wait for another offer from someone else (Wallace Translation: Not possible because he's a RFA, not a UFA). We'll leave trades out of it.

Obviously, sports is a bit different but that is where the Steelers are at. They don't agree with what Mike Wallace thinks his fair value is so they aren't offering the contract he wants. It's as simple as that. If Wallace wants to "roll the dice" and wait until next year to see if he can get his "so called" fair value then he should go for it. But, I guarantee that offer next year won't be coming from the Steelers.

squidkid
07-29-2012, 02:42 PM
I could give a rats ass about saving face on the internet junior.

try another angle.

good, because you're not succeeding, liar

steelz09
07-29-2012, 02:49 PM
guys/gals/it's (jk) :)

Chill out with the name calling and personal attacks. I don't want this to escalate for no reason. It's not worth it.

squidkid
07-29-2012, 02:53 PM
guys/gals/it's (jk) :)

Chill out with the name calling and personal attacks. I don't want this to escalate for no reason. It's not worth it.

i agree......

hawaiiansteel
07-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Of course... that's the case. My analogy was more geared towards if you didn't have the option NOT to sell.

With that being said, let's use your added comment into my original analogy. If you want "fair" value for your home at 200k and I don't think that is fair value based on market conditions, I'm not paying it. As the person offering the house, I have to think... take less money now and have it guaranteed (Wallace Translation: Sign a long-term deal with the steelers), take it off the market for a year and try to get "fair" value then (Wallace Translation: Hold Out for Next Year), or wait for another offer from someone else (Wallace Translation: Not possible because he's a RFA, not a UFA). We'll leave trades out of it.

Obviously, sports is a bit different but that is where the Steelers are at. They don't agree with what Mike Wallace thinks his fair value is so they aren't offering the contract he wants. It's as simple as that. If Wallace wants to "roll the dice" and wait until next year to see if he can get his "so called" fair value then he should go for it. But, I guarantee that offer next year won't be coming from the Steelers.

you make a good point using very sound logic.

however, Mike Wallace obviously doesn't feel the need to sell his house and feels like he will just wait for a better offer in the future just like vincent Jackson was able to do. and you're absolutely right, that higher offer will not be coming from the Steelers.

Discipline of Steel
07-29-2012, 08:52 PM
Some players just love to play and will get some kind of deal done, regardless of what their agents say, just so they can get on the field

RuthlessBurgher
07-30-2012, 01:09 AM
I just view him as another dime a dozen WR that Colbert/Tomlin are really good at drafting.

Are Colbert/Tomlin really that good at drafting WR's, or did they just get extraordinarily lucky in 2009-2010?

In 2008, they took Limas Sweed in round 2. Colbert should have thought about faking an injury following this pick.

In 2007, they took Dallas Baker in round 7. Dallas Baker the Touchdown Maker? Not quite.

In the pre-Tomlin years, Colbert wasn't exactly hitting home runs with all of his receiver picks either.

In 2006, he took Santonio Holmes in round 1. Sure, Holmes won a Super Bowl MVP and we should all be eternally grateful. However, we traded our 1st, 3rd, and 4th round picks to get him, and got back a 5th rounder for him 4 years later...even the housing market didn't lose value this quickly.

In 2006, he also took Willie Reid in round 3. The only reason that Willie Reid isn't despised more in Steeler Nation is because Anthony Smith was drafted a dozen spots earlier, so Killswitch deflects much of the hate which might otherwise be aimed toward Reid.

In 2005, he took Fred Gibson in round 4. Hey, we got Hines Ward from Georgia with a mid-round pick...maybe we could strike gold by using another mid-round pick in a Georgia wideout...yeah, keep dreaming...didn't even last through 1 camp.

In 2002, he took Antwaan Randle El in round 2. Randle El was excellent in a Slash 2.0 complementary role, but no one ever mistook him for a top notch wideout except for Dan Snyder who foolishly paid him like one.

In 2002, he also took Lee Mays in round 6. Lee Mays somehow stuck around Pittsburgh for 5 years. He had 11 total catches IN FIVE YEARS.

In 2000, he took Plaxico Burress in round 1. Burress was a tremendous talent that you would think would have been worth the 8th overall pick, but when you factor in his attitude, the front office decided that it was in the best interest of the team to let him walk away for zero compensation after his rookie deal expired. At least he was someone else's problem when he shot himself in the leg with a gun that he smuggled into a nightclub in the elastic waistband of his sweatpants.

In 2000, he also took Danny Farmer in round 4. Farmer trailblazed the path for Fred Gibson to follow by being a 4th round wideout to not make it out of his rookie training camp. He's eternally grateful that Bruce Davis eventually became an even more embarrassing pick out of UCLA.

Slapstick
07-30-2012, 08:37 AM
Or did they just get unlucky with those picks?

They did have servicable WRs like Nate Washington and Cedrick Wilson in the meantime, along with the YMC and Cotchery...perhaps not all drafted, but Colbert brought them in...

flippy
07-30-2012, 08:50 AM
Are Colbert/Tomlin really that good at drafting WR's, or did they just get extraordinarily lucky in 2009-2010?

In 2008, they took Limas Sweed in round 2. Colbert should have thought about faking an injury following this pick.

In 2007, they took Dallas Baker in round 7. Dallas Baker the Touchdown Maker? Not quite.

In the pre-Tomlin years, Colbert wasn't exactly hitting home runs with all of his receiver picks either.

In 2006, he took Santonio Holmes in round 1. Sure, Holmes won a Super Bowl MVP and we should all be eternally grateful. However, we traded our 1st, 3rd, and 4th round picks to get him, and got back a 5th rounder for him 4 years later...even the housing market didn't lose value this quickly.

In 2006, he also took Willie Reid in round 3. The only reason that Willie Reid isn't despised more in Steeler Nation is because Anthony Smith was drafted a dozen spots earlier, so Killswitch deflects much of the hate which might otherwise be aimed toward Reid.

In 2005, he took Fred Gibson in round 4. Hey, we got Hines Ward from Georgia with a mid-round pick...maybe we could strike gold by using another mid-round pick in a Georgia wideout...yeah, keep dreaming...didn't even last through 1 camp.

In 2002, he took Antwaan Randle El in round 2. Randle El was excellent in a Slash 2.0 complementary role, but no one ever mistook him for a top notch wideout except for Dan Snyder who foolishly paid him like one.

In 2002, he also took Lee Mays in round 6. Lee Mays somehow stuck around Pittsburgh for 5 years. He had 11 total catches IN FIVE YEARS.

In 2000, he took Plaxico Burress in round 1. Burress was a tremendous talent that you would think would have been worth the 8th overall pick, but when you factor in his attitude, the front office decided that it was in the best interest of the team to let him walk away for zero compensation after his rookie deal expired. At least he was someone else's problem when he shot himself in the leg with a gun that he smuggled into a nightclub in the elastic waistband of his sweatpants.

In 2000, he also took Danny Farmer in round 4. Farmer trailblazed the path for Fred Gibson to follow by being a 4th round wideout to not make it out of his rookie training camp. He's eternally grateful that Bruce Davis eventually became an even more embarrassing pick out of UCLA.

Tomlin's only been here since 2007 with Colbert, so these 2 are responsible for bringing in Sweed, Baker, Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery. I'd say 4 for 6 is a pretty good average. Baker was a 7th rounder that never had a chance to pan out, so no big deal. I'd say Sweed was the only miss. And the kid had talent even though he may not have had a strong mental makeup.

NorthCoast
07-30-2012, 12:38 PM
you make a good point using very sound logic.

however, Mike Wallace obviously doesn't feel the need to sell his house and feels like he will just wait for a better offer in the future just like vincent Jackson was able to do. and you're absolutely right, that higher offer will not be coming from the Steelers.

If E. Sanders can't stay healthy, the Steelers just may boost their offer, but I don't think will it involve multi-millions.

Slapstick
07-30-2012, 01:08 PM
If E. Sanders can't stay healthy, the Steelers just may boost their offer, but I don't think will it involve multi-millions.

Until he reports, there will be no offer.

phillyesq
07-30-2012, 01:50 PM

Kaboly is truly awful. In addition to Burress, he was also dead wrong on Max Starks, saying that he would not be brought back unless Adams struggled in camp. He then deleted his report.