PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers ink Antonio Brown to 5 year 42.5 million dollar extension

toddjammin
07-27-2012, 06:39 PM
per PFT. I love this move

DukieBoy
07-27-2012, 06:40 PM
​Also on ESPN and on 93.7 radio.

RuthlessBurgher
07-27-2012, 06:41 PM
So the Jim Wexell/Weslye Saunders tweets got the money right, but the player wrong? That's just weird...

D Rock
07-27-2012, 06:41 PM
hahahaha what a slap to Mike Wallace. Maybe this will convince him to show up. No doubt about it the Steelers were doing this to make a statement.

DukieBoy
07-27-2012, 06:42 PM
Anyone think that may be Wallace's ceiling for a contract ???

RuthlessBurgher
07-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Terms here...the signing bonus is the most important aspect of a deal, and a $8.5M signing bonus for Brown is an absolute coup...awesome.

Steelers ink Antonio Brown to long-term deal
Posted by Mike Florio on July 27, 2012, 6:27 PM EDT
The good news is that a Steelers receiver has gotten a new contract. The bad news is that his name isn’t Mike Wallace.

Per a league source, the Steelers have signed receiver Antonio Brown to a five-year, $42.5 million extension.

Brown, a sixth-round draft pick in 2010, was the team’s MVP in 2011.

Signed under the old CBA, Brown was eligible for a new contract after two seasons. Players drafted in 2011 and beyond must play three years before doing new deals.

The contract helps the Steelers avoid in 2013 another Mike Wallace-style standoff. Since both players signed three-year contracts, each player was eligible for restricted free agency.

Brown gets a signing bonus of $8.5 million plus a base salary of $540,000 in 2012. In 2013, he receives a $2.5 million roster bonus and a $2 million base salary.

In 2014, the salary increases to $6 million. It stays at $6 million in 2015 before increasing to $8.25 million in 2016. Finally, he receives $8.71 million in 2017.

It remains to be seen whether this will make the Steelers more likely or less likely to do a deal with Wallace, who is scheduled to earn $2.7 million in 2012. It’s possible that the Steelers, exasperated by the negotiations with Wallace, offered to Brown the deal that had been on the table for Wallace.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/27/steelers-ink-antonio-brown-to-long-term-deal/

RuthlessBurgher
07-27-2012, 06:46 PM
Looks like Antonio's cap his for this season should be $2.24 million...that still leaves room to extend Wallace as well...

SteelBucks
07-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Anyone think that may be Wallace's ceiling for a contract ???

Wouldn't be shocked if the Steelers offered Wallace a similar deal. I'm glad they got Brown extended before the season.

See Mike Wallace??? The Steelers will work with you if you report!!!

RuthlessBurgher
07-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Wait...just noted that it is a 5 year extension (in addition to this one already), so we've got him locked up for 6 seasons. If the cap hit is distributed over 6 years rather than 5, that would make his cap hit for this year $1.95 million.

williar
07-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Bittersweet! Love that we have Brown locked down but I still want #17 on board.

D Rock
07-27-2012, 06:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6R4zY49VKA

I don't remember that many touchdowns, but he's definitely a heckuva player!

D Rock
07-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Wait...just noted that it is a 5 year extension (in addition to this one already), so we've got him locked up for 6 seasons. If the cap hit is distributed over 6 years rather than 5, that would make his cap hit for this year $1.95 million.

signing bonuses have a maximum proration term of 5 years no matter how long the contract is

SidSmythe
07-27-2012, 07:00 PM
LOVE THIS!!!

Love this kids attitude, all around playing ability.......he's something special.

If it came down between Wallace and Brown for the exact same contract i'd go with Brown.

Flasteel
07-27-2012, 07:01 PM
hahahaha what a slap to Mike Wallace. Maybe this will convince him to show up. No doubt about it the Steelers were doing this to make a statement.

I think it says more about what the Steelers think of AB then anything else, but I can't help but feel the same way.

Obviously things have been going on behind the scenes -in terms of negotiating this contract- but getting this "secret" deal done the day after you publicly end negotiations with Wallace is a big slap. It not only sends the message that we already have a top-tier receiver we are willing to pay, it pretty much sets a limit on what he can expect to get. There is no way he will earn significantly more than what Brown just got. AB is coming off an MVP year where he set an NFL combined yardage record. Many would argue that he is a better all-around receiver than Wallace. Despite the extra year of service, you would have to treat these players very similarly, as far as how you pay them. Do you guys not agree?

I would be very interested to know what the Steelers latest offer to Wallace is. If it's in any way, shape, or form better than this deal, he would be a fool to hold out for more...'cause he ain't going to get it. This deal could also serve as the impetus for getting Wallace into camp. Now his agent has a contract which should serve as the barometer, one way or another. The Wallace camp won't be able to negotiate anything however, unless he reports.

Regardless...great job of locking up a top receiver and avoiding this same mess next year.:Beer

Steelgal
07-27-2012, 07:04 PM
Very excited about this contract getting done!!!! Didn't want the same result with him next off season, not that I think it would have went down the same way. I predict my next jersey will be #84!!!

D Rock
07-27-2012, 07:06 PM
This could become very similar to the offseason when Timmons and Woodley both signed long term extensions. They Steelers have liked to do things in 2's lately.

NW Steeler
07-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Well they definitely wont be able to keep Brown, Wallace AND Sanders. Especially if Sanders finally has an injury-free season.

Va Steelr
07-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Brown has always handled himself in a professional manner with respect to the organization and had stated publicly that he would handle the Wallace situation differently if it were .him.Great move to lock up a good player that seems to have a team first attitude.Wallace should be kicking himself right about now!!!

LordVile
07-27-2012, 07:18 PM
very happy about this.. Brown deserves it.. Wallace really must be asking for FITZ cash if this was the deal that he passed up.. so what options do the Steelers have with Wallace?

LordVile
07-27-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm very glad for the guy

8467thekraken
07-27-2012, 07:38 PM
With Wallace being a "one trick pony", does this mean the steelers are comfortable with someone else handling those routes. Someone like Sanders. Or maybe even a Rookie or two... I mean, how difficult was Wallaces' route tree? Really?

BURGH86STEEL
07-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Appears to be a good deal for Brown. Wallace shouldn't take this deal personally.

squidkid
07-27-2012, 07:40 PM

i was thinking the same thing.
at first i thought 5 for 42(8mill per year) seemed alot more than he should have been offered. realizing it is 6 for 42(7 mill per year) makes it a liitle better.
pretty big gamble on the steelers part giving him this much for his production. hope it isnt a knee jerk, vindictive move to spite wallace. i mean i like the vindictive part, not how much they gave brown.
all and all, glad its done. good work both sides for playing it cool

fezziwig
07-27-2012, 07:44 PM
That's my question too, what is Wallace asking for ? Also, and because he just signed but, I see a new Steeler leader in Brown. I believe he will be one of the faces of the team someday like Hines, Bettis, Troy, etc of players that, when you think of one you think of the other. I think Brown will be better than Hines some day.
Congrats Mr. Brown..... you earned it

birtikidis
07-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Jason la confora is reporting that browns base salary this year will be 540k helping save space for 2012.
john Clayton tweeted that we would "try to get Wallace for more than 9 million per year" think he meant less than

pittpete
07-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Dudes always smiling
Probably smiling a lot more now
http://mediamrs.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/antonio-brown.jpeg

D Rock
07-27-2012, 08:41 PM
That's definitely going to make it easier for him to take care of his kids!

fordfixer
07-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Appears to be a good deal for Brown. Wallace shouldn't take this deal personally.
Personally I think Wallace should take this deal:D

costanza2k1
07-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Keep quiet and work hard and generally good things will happen. We just signed the more complete receiver. I'm stoked

birtikidis
07-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Personally I think Wallace should take this deal:D

Thought it was interesting how fast Wallace congratulated Brown on Twitter. I don't think he holds any grudge, and I don't think it's going to get drawn out for several weeks. Wallace will sign soon.

DukieBoy
07-27-2012, 11:33 PM
Thought it was interesting how fast Wallace congratulated Brown on Twitter. I don't think he holds any grudge, and I don't think it's going to get drawn out for several weeks. Wallace will sign soon.
Hope Wallace signs soon. He and Brown complement each other well.

NorCal-Steeler
07-28-2012, 12:41 AM
I think it's the end of Wallace,especially if he doesnt report soon.

dreegking
07-28-2012, 02:13 AM
Can the Steelers franchise him? I know they don't like to, but can they even make that choice for a player 3 years in?

hawaiiansteel
07-28-2012, 02:33 AM
Can the Steelers franchise him? I know they don't like to, but can they even make that choice for a player 3 years in?

the Steelers own his rights for this year under the RFA tender and they could franchise Wallace next year if they choose to do so...

flippy
07-28-2012, 07:04 AM
Now if Omar/Colbert/Rooney continue the Flippy plan, they'll extend Sanders next.

8467thekraken
07-28-2012, 08:09 AM
Far to much at risk to extend Sanders. Hasn't shown me near enough. Quite different with Antonio.

MeetJoeGreene
07-28-2012, 09:10 AM
I am very, very pleased with this signing. I really hope Wallace signs .. then the question is "what about manny?"

grotonsteel
07-28-2012, 11:25 AM
Hope Wallace signs soon. He and Brown complement each other well.

+1

Wallace is a speed merchant and a good one at that.

grotonsteel
07-28-2012, 11:27 AM
I am very, very pleased with this signing. I really hope Wallace signs .. then the question is "what about manny?"

I think Manny will have to play a season without getting injured. He has just shown potential so far. No production yet from Manny.

steelfin
07-28-2012, 11:27 AM

The Steelers will wait to see if Manny can stay healthy for a season. Although he has shown flashes, his body of work in the NFL is incomplete and really not very impressive. That could change, but as of right now we shouldn't break the bank on Manny.

IMO the Wallace situation does not look good..He turns down a 5 YR / 50 Million offer....We shortly thereafter sign Brown to a deal....We may have seen the last of Wallace as a Steeler.

I can see him holding out until the last possible moment. At that point, the relationship between Wallace and the Steelers will be at a breaking point (if it isn't already). We will keep him inactive for the remainder of the season. Sure we can franchise him, but I dont think it will happen...You really have to wonder what the Steeler brass thinks of Mike now....

Definitely not how I had hoped this went down....and I am hoping I am wrong.

SF

RuthlessBurgher
07-28-2012, 11:31 AM
I don't remember that many touchdowns, but he's definitely a heckuva player!

He only has 2 TD's catches in actual regular season play (against New England and Cleveland) plus 1 kick return for TD (against Tennessee) and 1 punt return for TD (against Cincinnati).

The other 5 TD catches (2 against Atlanta, 1 against Philadelphia, 1 against Detroit, and 1 against Denver) all took place during preseason games.

Touchdown production is one HUGE difference between Wallace and Sanders...(Mike has 24 TD catches in 34 games...Antonio has 2 TD catches in 25 games).

I wouldn't surprised if the overall terms of Wallace's contract would be similar (although in Antonio's case, it's 5 years on top of the current season with a half million dollar salary...6 total...whereas Mike's would be 5 years flat), but the guaranteed money on a Wallace deal (which is the most important part of these contracts) would likely be double or more than Brown got in terms of a signing bonus.

aggiebones
07-28-2012, 12:50 PM
This is a mess now. Should not have signed brown til later in camp. He doesnt need this now. They could have signed him after he survived some camp. It's a shot at Wallace and likely cause a complete impasse. Foolish.

Oviedo
07-28-2012, 01:45 PM
+1

Wallace is a speed merchant and a good one at that.

Wallace may be a speed merchant but IMO he is less of a WR than Brown and obviously less of a team player.

Oviedo
07-28-2012, 01:47 PM
This is a mess now. Should not have signed brown til later in camp. He doesnt need this now. They could have signed him after he survived some camp. It's a shot at Wallace and likely cause a complete impasse. Foolish.

Wallace deserves every shot he gets. The Steelers made it easy for him to understand--show up and we keep talking, don't show and we are done! Pretty simple but Wallace deliberately tweaked the noses of the organization for no reason.

I have no issue with the next shot he gets being a one way trip out of town.

Oviedo
07-28-2012, 01:49 PM
He only has 2 TD's catches in actual regular season play (against New England and Cleveland) plus 1 kick return for TD (against Tennessee) and 1 punt return for TD (against Cincinnati).

The other 5 TD catches (2 against Atlanta, 1 against Philadelphia, 1 against Detroit, and 1 against Denver) all took place during preseason games.

Touchdown production is one HUGE difference between Wallace and Sanders...(Mike has 24 TD catches in 34 games...Antonio has 2 TD catches in 25 games).

I wouldn't surprised if the overall terms of Wallace's contract would be similar (although in Antonio's case, it's 5 years on top of the current season with a half million dollar salary...6 total...whereas Mike's would be 5 years flat), but the guaranteed money on a Wallace deal (which is the most important part of these contracts) would likely be double or more than Brown got in terms of a signing bonus.

But in all fairness isn't the TD production really an artifact of the routes they were asked to run? Wallace was not asked to make the tough catches across the middle of the field.

ikestops85
07-28-2012, 03:15 PM
But in all fairness isn't the TD production really an artifact of the routes they were asked to run? Wallace was not asked to make the tough catches across the middle of the field.

So what you are saying is Wallace is always having to run the deep routes based on play calling. I guess it's not his fault people think he is a one trick pony. If he never gets the chance to run different routes why are people saying he isn't good running the route tree? Last year Wallace was finally getting some under routes, like the drag, and he was successful running them. That's why his YPC was less then previous years.

I'm glad they signed Brown. I love the kids attitude and his work ethic. I believe he will become a leader much like Hines was. My congratulations to the young man. :Cheers

RuthlessBurgher
07-28-2012, 04:21 PM

The "Wallace runs only go routes" myth is constantly regurgitated. Dude's effective on slants, screens, hitches, comebacks, etc. Here is an analysis of Wallace's performance from various depth levels through 6 games last season:

Short passes (aerials thrown downfield 10 or fewer yards)

• Wallace has 205 yards on 22 short pass attempts, which equates to a 9.3 short pass YPA.

Medium passes (11-19 yards downfield)

• Wallace has 117 yards on 11 medium pass attempts for a 10.6 medium YPA.

Deep passes (20-29 yards downfield)

• Wallace has been targeted on a deep pass only one time this season and it didn't result in a completion or a penalty, so he has zero yards in this category.

Bomb passes (30 or more yards downfield)

• Wallace has 329 yards on nine bomb passes for a 36.6 bomb YPA.

Vertical (all medium, deep and bomb passes)

• Wallace has been targeted for 21 vertical passes and posted 446 yards on those throws, giving him a 21.2 vertical YPA.

Stretch vertical (all deep/bomb passes -- the ones designed to really stretch defensive coverage)

• Wallace has 10 targets on stretch vertical passes and posted 329 yards on those aerials. That equates to a 32.9 stretch vertical YPA.

Oviedo
07-28-2012, 04:24 PM
The "Wallace runs only go routes" myth is constantly regurgitated. Dude's effective on slants, screens, hitches, comebacks, etc. Here is an analysis of Wallace's performance from various depth levels through 6 games last season:

Short passes (aerials thrown downfield 10 or fewer yards)

• Wallace has 205 yards on 22 short pass attempts, which equates to a 9.3 short pass YPA.

Medium passes (11-19 yards downfield)

• Wallace has 117 yards on 11 medium pass attempts for a 10.6 medium YPA.

Deep passes (20-29 yards downfield)

• Wallace has been targeted on a deep pass only one time this season and it didn't result in a completion or a penalty, so he has zero yards in this category.

Bomb passes (30 or more yards downfield)

• Wallace has 329 yards on nine bomb passes for a 36.6 bomb YPA.

Vertical (all medium, deep and bomb passes)

• Wallace has been targeted for 21 vertical passes and posted 446 yards on those throws, giving him a 21.2 vertical YPA.

Stretch vertical (all deep/bomb passes -- the ones designed to really stretch defensive coverage)

• Wallace has 10 targets on stretch vertical passes and posted 329 yards on those aerials. That equates to a 32.9 stretch vertical YPA.

No one said always or only but it is about the percentage of the routes.

RuthlessBurgher
07-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Antonio Brown: Staying with the Steelers is something special
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 28, 2012, 3:32 PM EDT

Antonio Brown’s new deal keeps him under contract to the Steelers through the 2017 season, and Brown thinks that’s just great.

“It’s special,” Brown said at a press conference to announce his signing. “I’m with a unique organization as the Steelers. Knowing that I’m going to be around here for long-term, it’s something amazing. It’s really special, something I take pride in and know it’s a tremendous honor. It provides me with some security and allows me to play football and focus on winning games.”

Brown said that he has kept his focus completely on football and hasn’t even spoken to anyone in his family about his new contract. That’s part of the approach to the game that makes the Steelers think Brown will be worth every penny of his new $42.5 million deal.

“I haven’t even taken time to focus on it. Being at training camp, my focus right now is to be in great shape, get prepared to play preseason games, and get ready for the year,” Brown said. “Winning is all about what’s important now. What’s important now is me focusing on training camp, getting on the same page, learning the offense, and getting ready for the year.”

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin answered a question about Brown’s role on the team, saying that Brown’s new contract doesn’t necessarily make him too expensive to play special teams. Tomlin also said, however, that the Steelers believe they have some young players in camp who are capable of taking the punt return duties over from Brown.

Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert declined to answer a question about what Brown’s contract means for the future of receiver Mike Wallace in Pittsburgh.

“Today’s about Antonio. If you have questions about Antonio, great. If not, we’re not going to address them,” Colbert said.

The Steelers are in no mood to talk about Wallace right now. But they’re feeling great about Brown’s future. And the feeling is mutual.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/28/antonio-brown-staying-with-the-steelers-is-something-special/

RuthlessBurgher
07-28-2012, 04:46 PM
No one said always or only but it is about the percentage of the routes.

The Steelers have no problem putting up yards. The Steelers do have a problem putting up points.

Both Wallace and Brown put up over 1100 yards last year.

But Wallace has caught 24 TD passes in 34 games over 3 seasons while Brown has caught 2 TD passes in 25 games over 2 seasons.

With points at a premium (coming off a season in which we were 21st in scoring offense), I consider a guy who averages 8 TD catches per year as more valuable than a guy who averages 1 TD catch per year. A difference that drastic simply cannot be explained away by the types of routes guys are asked to run. Wes Welker runs a ton of short crossing routes, but he still caught 9 TD passes last season and 7 TD passes the year before that.

Oviedo
07-28-2012, 05:55 PM
The Steelers have no problem putting up yards. The Steelers do have a problem putting up points.

But Wallace has caught 24 TD passes in 34 games over 3 seasons while Brown has caught 2 TD passes in 25 games over 2 seasons.

With points at a premium (coming off a season in which we were 21st in scoring offense), I consider a guy who averages 8 TD catches per year as more valuable than a guy who averages 1 TD catch per year. A difference that drastic simply cannot be explained away by the types of routes guys are asked to run. Wes Welker runs a ton of short crossing routes, but he still caught 9 TD passes last season and 7 TD passes the year before that.

We'll see what happens this year without Wallace. IMO Brown's TDs will soar.

Sugar
07-28-2012, 06:07 PM

My hope is that Brown gets a whole lot more TD's with or without Wallace.

Snatch98
07-28-2012, 07:09 PM

As long as Sanders remains healthy Brown will excel. I still expect Brown to excel no matter what BUT it's naive to think that Wallace didn't help Brown indirectly last season coverage wise.

Sugar
07-28-2012, 07:55 PM
As long as Sanders remains healthy Brown will excel. I still expect Brown to excel no matter what BUT it's naive to think that Wallace didn't help Brown indirectly last season coverage wise.

Wallace made opposing D's use their top corners to cover him and usually scheme to take the top off. It's natural that this leaves things open a bit more underneath. Brown is a heck of a gamer and made the most of his opportunities, but we still haven't seen him against the top DB's in most cases. While I have no reason to think that he wouldn't do well either way, it's still a bit of a gamble.

Snatch98
07-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Wallace made opposing D's use their top corners to cover him and usually scheme to take the top off. It's natural that this leaves things open a bit more underneath. Brown is a heck of a gamer and made the most of his opportunities, but we still haven't seen him against the top DB's in most cases. While I have no reason to think that he wouldn't do well either way, it's still a bit of a gamble.

Agreed. Wallace was a pretty sizable reason for the success Brown had last season. Here is to hoping we can sign Wallace without breaking the bank, otherwise he can go look for his Fitzgerald money elsewhere.

hawaiiansteel
07-28-2012, 09:57 PM
MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

Quite sure not many can say they have 3 career starts and signed a $42.5 million contract.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/

BradshawsHairdresser
07-28-2012, 10:07 PM
MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

Quite sure not many can say they have 3 career starts and signed a $42.5 million contract.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/

Quite sure not many can say they've amassed 1000 receiving yards and 1000 return yards in the same season (even more impressive with only 3 starts, I'd say).

hawaiiansteel
07-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Quite sure not many can say they've amassed 1000 receiving yards and 1000 return yards in the same season

I believe Antonio Brown is the first and only player to ever have done that...

BradshawsHairdresser
07-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Kaboly also fails to mention that Brown had a monster second-half receiving, and was also tabbed the MVP by his teammates.

Taking all of these things into consideration, I think the Steelers got a bargain.

Slapstick
07-28-2012, 10:50 PM
Agreed. Wallace was a pretty sizable reason for the success Brown had last season.

I disagree.

People said the same thing about Ward when Burress left and it wasn't true then...

If Brown is a player, then he's a player regardless of who is playing the "X"...

Oviedo
07-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Agreed. Wallace was a pretty sizable reason for the success Brown had last season. Here is to hoping we can sign Wallace without breaking the bank, otherwise he can go look for his Fitzgerald money elsewhere.

I would agree, but the same thing can happen with better play calling where Haley utilizes the RBs and TEs more in the passing game. Instead of safties playing over the top to stop Wallace you force them to come in to cover the RBs or TEs which then let's Brown and Sanders exploit deeper patterns.

Brown and sanders may not be as fast as Wallace but I will contend that they may use their speed more effectively because of better route running. I always liked Wallace (until he started to play the fool) but I have also always said he may be our third best best WR in terms of overall talent behind Brown and Sanders.

Also don't underestimate Cotchery. He is one of those WRs that will drive a defense crazy because he always finds the open spot and is available. We will be fine without Wallace. Maybe less ESPN highlight clips but overall effectiveness is what matters and I trust Haley will call a much more effective game than Arians' vertical passing attack that always looked deep.

steelfin
07-29-2012, 09:15 AM
Brown and sanders may not be as fast as Wallace but I will contend that they may use their speed more effectively because of better route running. I always liked Wallace (until he started to play the fool) but I have also always said he may be our third best best WR in terms of overall talent behind Brown and Sanders.

Most of this makes sense...but I am not sure why so many people think Sanders is the savior....I am hoping he steps up....But up to this point, he has very limited production and has not been able to stay on the field with any regularity.

If anyone thinks we are better without Wallace they are mistaken. It would be great if they can still work a deal with Wallace. Locking up Brown and Wallace for the next 4 to 5 years would be huge.

I am hoping Maze or Clemons steps up in camp. Without Wallace we are thin at the WR spot....and if history means anything, I am not banking on Sanders...

DukieBoy
07-29-2012, 09:16 AM
There is more than one direction in which to "stretch the field". I read that Haley has the offense working on alot of swing routes to the RBs.

steelfin
07-29-2012, 09:32 AM
True...but running East West doesn't usually make first downs or TDs...

Flasteel
07-29-2012, 11:29 AM
There is more than one direction in which to "stretch the field". I read that Haley has the offense working on alot of swing routes to the RBs.

Rainey on wheel routes and swing passes will be devastating.

chiken
07-29-2012, 12:34 PM
True...but running East West doesn't usually make first downs or TDs...

To be fair, its not like we were scoring touchdowns with Wallace.. our scoring offense sucked.

RuthlessBurgher
07-29-2012, 12:41 PM

Wallace gave us 8 TD catches last year. Brown gave us 2 TD catches.

If Wallace isn't around, and Brown's TD production somehow manages to "soar" up to 10 TD catches to make up the difference, that still leaves us right where we were last season (when we were 21st in scoring).

flippy
07-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Wallace gave us 8 TD catches last year. Brown gave us 2 TD catches.

If Wallace isn't around, and Brown's TD production somehow manages to "soar" up to 10 TD catches to make up the difference, that still leaves us right where we were last season (when we were 21st in scoring).

Wally doesn't score TDs in the postseason. In fact he practically disappears. He also played a major roll in losing to GreenBay in the SuperBowl when he was totally clueless on the last drive.

The Steelers paid Ward a king's ransom, but at least he showed up when the games counted. Does it really matter what Wallace does in the regular season?

RuthlessBurgher
07-29-2012, 12:47 PM
To be fair, its not like we were scoring touchdowns with Wallace.. our scoring offense sucked.

Mike Wallace's 24 TD catches in 3 seasons would beg to differ.

Antonio Brown has averaged 1 TD catch per season in the NFL.

Emmanuel Sanders has averaged 2 TD catches per season in the NFL.

Jerricho Cotchery has averages 2.5 TD catches per season in the NFL.

Considering the team is struggling to score TD's, it seems like Steeler fans are profoundly confident in 3 guys who combine to average 5.5 TD catches per season, but are perfectly happy to dump Mike Wallace who averages 8 TD catches per season by himself.

RuthlessBurgher
07-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Wally doesn't score TDs in the postseason. In fact he practically disappears. He also played a major roll in losing to GreenBay in the SuperBowl when he was totally clueless on the last drive.

The Steelers paid Ward a king's ransom, but at least he showed up when the games counted. Does it really matter what Wallace does in the regular season?

Mike Wallace caught a 4th quarter TD pass in the Super Bowl to bring us within a field goal.

Neither Antonio Brown nor Emmanuel Sanders has caught a TD pass in 4 playoff games each.

chiken
07-29-2012, 12:55 PM
The point is, The Team scoring offense sucked.. BEN makes the deep plays by buying time ala risking injury and delivering some sports Center highlight play (more times than not) Thats what MW was great at and thats what we are trying to get Ben to stop doing.

In Response we have changed the offense, looks like we are running and short passing alot more, giving the ball to our quick guys who can rack up yards after the catch (something that MW is not really great at)

What Good was having MW when we were averaging 17 points a game..

BURGH86STEEL
07-29-2012, 12:58 PM

Not sure why people will resort to any ideology to discredit Wallace. Why not cut Wallace loose if there is going to be such a myopic view of his production? I don't agree what Wallace played a major role in the loss to GB. Seems you believe that Wallace has to many faults to be a member of the Steelers.

I believe Wallace makes the Steelers a better offense. Seems they won't reach an agreement so both parties will probably move on within the next year.

chiken
07-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Not sure why people will resort to any ideology to discredit Wallace. Why not cut Wallace loose if there is going to be such a myopic view of his production? I don't agree what Wallace played a major role in the loss to GB. Seems you believe that Wallace has to many faults to be a member of the Steelers.

I believe Wallace makes the Steelers a better offense. Seems they won't reach an agreement so both parties will probably move on within the next year.

not speaking for anyone else, I am just saying that we as a team were not all that great on offense even with the guy so honestly whats the big deal.. I think we can be good with him, but I don't believe we are worse without him.. To me its going to be about Ben.. IF the O line can block then Ben like Brady can do the job regardless the receivers.

Eddie Spaghetti
07-29-2012, 01:39 PM
blaming wallace for losing to green bay might be one of the more absurd things I have ever read here.

flippy
07-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Mike Wallace caught a 4th quarter TD pass in the Super Bowl to bring us within a field goal.

Neither Antonio Brown nor Emmanuel Sanders has caught a TD pass in 4 playoff games each.

It's not like Brown and Sanders were established starters. Neither were in the SuperBowl. And they have 1 playoff start between the 2 of them. So you could argue Wallace has 1 TD in 4 playoff starts. AB and ES have 0 TDs in 1 playoff start.

That was Wallace's only TD in the playoffs. For the most part, he's absent come playoff time. Just like he was the 2nd half of last season. As good as Wallace is at times, he's equally bad in other spots. If he wants so much money, he should be consistent and dominant in the playoffs.

flippy
07-29-2012, 03:52 PM
blaming wallace for losing to green bay might be one of the more absurd things I have ever read here.

Wallace had no idea where to line up let alone where to run his routes on the final drive of that SuperBowl.

If he had a little awareness, he may have been able to make a play on that drive. But for the most part, Wally hasn't shown up in the big games. He has huge YPC, production, TDs until the playoffs come. Then his production become less than the average TE.

Oviedo
07-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Wallace had no idea where to line up let alone where to run his routes on the final drive of that SuperBowl.

If he had a little awareness, he may have been able to make a play on that drive. But for the most part, Wally hasn't shown up in the big games. He has huge YPC, production, TDs until the playoffs come. Then his production become less than the average TE.

Don't you know, he doesn't need to worry about plays even when there is a new offensive coordinator. He'll just show up and run fast.

Sugar
07-29-2012, 04:02 PM

Yeah, that is indeed pretty dumb. In fact, it was MW's beautiful catch in the last moments that allowed us to beat the Packers the time we played before that. Anyone who claims that Wallace is nothing but speed needs to watch that again and repent.

squidkid
07-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Don't you know, he doesn't need to worry about plays even when there is a new offensive coordinator. He'll just show up and run fast.

and mostly importantly to him, make his 11+ million per year

flippy
07-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Yeah, that is indeed pretty dumb. In fact, it was MW's beautiful catch in the last moments that allowed us to beat the Packers the time we played before that. Anyone who claims that Wallace is nothing but speed needs to watch that again and repent.

no one's discrediting that play. it just wasn't a superbowl.

wallace makes lots of plays in the regular season.

NJ-STEELER
07-29-2012, 04:38 PM
The point is, The Team scoring offense sucked.. BEN makes the deep plays by buying time ala risking injury and delivering some sports Center highlight play (more times than not) Thats what MW was great at and thats what we are trying to get Ben to stop doing.

In Response we have changed the offense, looks like we are running and short passing alot more, giving the ball to our quick guys who can rack up yards after the catch (something that MW is not really great at)

What Good was having MW when we were averaging 17 points a game..

the good was it was enough to win 12 games. what if the average fell to 14 points a game without wallace. how many games will that be good enough to win?

NJ-STEELER
07-29-2012, 04:40 PM
no one's discrediting that play. it just wasn't a superbowl.

wallace makes lots of plays in the regular season.

troy has pretty much sucked in 3 superbowls. would you want to discredit his hall of fame career because of it?

chiken
07-29-2012, 05:45 PM
the good was it was enough to win 12 games. what if the average fell to 14 points a game without wallace. how many games will that be good enough to win?

then the loss of MW would translate to about 3 points, which is not worth what he is asking...

I am not a MW hater, actually enjoy the guy on the field but the bottom line is he doesn't want to play for what we can afford to pay him and his loss can be made up with a different OC and better O Line play..

I think honestly we score more points this year whether Mw is there or not....

NJ-STEELER
07-29-2012, 06:45 PM
its off season, so everybody is optimistic. hell, i am too.

but, we've heard this every year. we poo pood the loss of santonio, then were left to wonder what might have been if he was there for the last drive in the SB loss. this team is built to win now, so even a slight change can hurt us for a chance at another ring

i'm optimistic the O can be better cause we have finally have seem to address the OL woes, but i'll believe it when i see it. and they are young so i would expect some growing pains.
taking the offense's most dangerous weapon away from a unit that ranked 21st doesnt look good on paper

flippy
07-29-2012, 06:58 PM

but, we've heard this every year. we poo pood the loss of santonio, then were left to wonder what might have been if he was there for the last drive in the SB loss. this team is built to win now, so even a slight change can hurt us for a chance at another ring

i'm optimistic the O can be better cause we have finally have seem to address the OL woes, but i'll believe it when i see it. and they are young so i would expect some growing pains.
taking the offense's most dangerous weapon away from a unit that ranked 21st doesnt look good on paper

it feels like it would be safer to have wally for at least one more year. the more the better. heck even franchise him next year if we have to. i like the guy. i'm just not sure what he wants aligns with his production and importance to the team.

chiken
07-29-2012, 07:05 PM

Our offenses most Dangerous weapons is Ben, he is still there. I think we will be okay :D

Its a new offense that hopefully gets the ball in the hands of our play-makers early so they can run a little bit..and If Brown can become the play-maker that Holmes was for us we will be much better off. Wallace not playing really shouldn't hurt us all that much, the Front office knew this and that's why they did what they did in my opinion.

Slapstick
07-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Our offenses most Dangerous weapons is Ben, he is still there. I think we will be okay :D

Its a new offense that hopefully gets the ball in the hands of our play-makers early so they can run a little bit..and If Brown can become the play-maker that Holmes was for us we will be much better off. Wallace not playing really shouldn't hurt us all that much, the Front office knew this and that's why they did what they did in my opinion.

Obviously, Mike Wallace is a great weapon to have...but, the last few years, I've thought that the Steelers have had other weapons (Heath Miller, Rashard Mendenhall out of the backfield) that have been eschewed for the deep ball...

I'd like to see all of the weapons used...

Sanders ran a 4.41 at the combine...we all know how fast Brown is...

I think the Steelers can be fine without Wallace, as long as Ben plays well and the red zone scoring is improved...

steelblood
07-30-2012, 12:05 AM

I think play design and red zone packages had something to do with this. Brown often came out in the red zone. If he plays more in the red zone the TDs may come at a much better rate.

RuthlessBurgher
07-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Brown got $42.5 million on the basis of one 1100 yard, 2 TD season in which Mike Wallace drew the oppositions best CB consistently and also had safety help over the top shading toward his side to prevent the big play, meaning that Brown routinely faced single coverage against a #2 corner. While Brown was successful last season in this setup, who's to say what will happen when Brown draws top corners and double teams? Yeah, I know people were saying the same thing about how Hines Ward would respond when Plaxico left, but Hines was a 7 year veteran coming off 4 straight 1000 yard seasons when Plax left, which is a far cry from a 6th round pick entering his 3rd NFL season.

Signing Wallace to an extension not only gives us a potentially dominant deep threat in his own right, but also helps assure that Brown can continue to live up to his new contract (Brown has never been "THE MAN" yet in his brief NFL career, and we don't know how he will respond to that level of attention from defenses). Everyone seems to realize that this is a passing league now, but in the same breath considers the guys on the receiving end of those passes to be easily replaceable carbon units who aren't worth any significant money.

fezziwig
07-30-2012, 02:09 PM
I think the guys name was Taylor or whom ever that played across from either Jerry Rice or maybe someone playing across from Michale Irving that was signed by the Tampa Bay Bucs. He was great when he was just the supporting actor but when the Bucs made him the leading man........his career soured real fast. I hope this is not the case with Brown and I don't think it will be as long as he is mentally tough. With his work ethic that they continue to rave about he, should be fine. I see Brown more in the mold of dare I say, Jimmy Smith type or Hines Ward with quickness.

Flasteel
07-30-2012, 02:13 PM
I think the guys name was Taylor or whom ever that played across from either Jerry Rice or maybe someone playing across from Michale Irving that was signed by the Tampa Bay Bucs. He was great when he was just the supporting actor but when the Bucs made him the leading man........his career soured real fast. I hope this is not the case with Brown and I don't think it will be as long as he is mentally tough. With his work ethic that they continue to rave about he, should be fine. I see Brown more in the mold of dare I say, Jimmy Smith type or Hines Ward with quickness.

You're talking about Alvin Harper who played across from Irvin and was a total bust in Tampa Bay. John Taylor never played for any other team but the 'Niners.

Oviedo
07-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Brown got $42.5 million on the basis of one 1100 yard, 2 TD season in which Mike Wallace drew the oppositions best CB consistently and also had safety help over the top shading toward his side to prevent the big play, meaning that Brown routinely faced single coverage against a #2 corner. While Brown was successful last season in this setup, who's to say what will happen when Brown draws top corners and double teams? Yeah, I know people were saying the same thing about how Hines Ward would respond when Plaxico left, but Hines was a 7 year veteran coming off 4 straight 1000 yard seasons when Plax left, which is a far cry from a 6th round pick entering his 3rd NFL season.

Signing Wallace to an extension not only gives us a potentially dominant deep threat in his own right, but also helps assure that Brown can continue to live up to his new contract (Brown has never been "THE MAN" yet in his brief NFL career, and we don't know how he will respond to that level of attention from defenses). Everyone seems to realize that this is a passing league now, but in the same breath considers the guys on the receiving end of those passes to be easily replaceable carbon units who aren't worth any significant money.

I agree with all you said. Wallace just needs to sign for what the Steelers have offered. Antonio B played by the Steelers rules and he got rewarded. Very easy lesson to learn there.

Its up to Wallace. If he continues to push for top dollar it is a moot point because he won't be staying here. Mike Wallace is creating this situation. You characterize this as something someone is doing to Wallace to keep him away. Nobody questions that Wallace has put up some good numbers. No need to revisit that over and over. Everyone wants Wallace back but he is the one who is the problem and only he can solve it. The cap isn't changing until 2014 so the dollars are a set finite resource. Wallace knows what they are so either he cooperates or he doesn't want to be here.

Slapstick
07-30-2012, 02:26 PM

It isn't up to us whether or not the Steelers sign Mike Wallace. Hell, it isn't even up to the Steelers. It's up to Mike Wallace.

Just as we don't know how Antonio Brown will respond to being "the man", we also don't know how Mike Wallace will respond now that teams are paying extra attention to him...I don't think that he's an easily replaceable carbon unit, I just don't think the Steelers should pay $10 million (let alone more) per year if I don't know how Mike will handle himself this year...

Being a decoy and attracting attention away from Brown does not warrant $10+ million...

Toney Clemons ran a 4.36 at his Pro Day...if all you want is someone to run past DBs and draw double coverage but not catch the ball, he can do that for a fraction of the cost...

fezziwig
07-30-2012, 02:28 PM
You're talking about Alvin Harper who played across from Irvin and was a total bust in Tampa Bay. John Taylor never played for any other team but the 'Niners.

Thanks Flasteel. I knew it was someone from one of those teams.

Gus
07-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Alvin Harper was nearly a steeler. Good thing that didn't happen. I was all for it at the time. Here is an old article. Check out the #s. they were at an impasse over $500k. Times have changed.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1129&dat=19940419&id=ioRIAAAAIBAJ&sjid=pW8DAAAAIBAJ&pg=4489,2395286

grotonsteel
07-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Being a decoy and attracting attention away from Brown does not warrant $10+ million...

Toney Clemons ran a 4.36 at his Pro Day...if all you want is someone to run past DBs and draw double coverage but not catch the ball, he can do that for a fraction of the cost...

Toney Clemons seriously???

Mike Wallace 3 years in NFL record is better than Jerry Rice. I am not saying he is better than Jerry Rice (different era,different rules) but you don't put those numbers just being a decoy in NFL.

Mike Wallace is steelers Top-WR (TDs, YAC, YPC etc ). Steelers FO want to extend Mike Wallace long term.
If Mike Wallace was so easily replaceable they would have traded him by now.

Slapstick
07-30-2012, 03:38 PM

Mike Wallace 3 years in NFL record is better than Jerry Rice. I am not saying he is better than Jerry Rice (different era,different rules) but you don't put those numbers just being a decoy in NFL.

Mike Wallace is steelers Top-WR (TDs, YAC, YPC etc ). Steelers FO want to extend Mike Wallace long term.
If Mike Wallace was so easily replaceable they would have traded him by now.

Overreact much?

Try reading the post before jumping off a cliff...

Or, perhaps I'll restate my position (again):

First: Numbers aren't everything. If they were, the Steelers would have won the SB with their #1 ranked defense...

Second: If Mike Wallace wants $10+ million per year and however much guaranteed money, he needs to freaking dominate...all the time...if people were hard on LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons last year, then there would be a contract on Mike Wallace's life if he was paid a huge contract and then played like he did in the last 8 games and the playoffs...

There is no doubt that Mike Wallace has all the speed you could ask for in a player...but, for the kind of contract he wants, I need more than speed...

Brown didn't get exactly the same offer as Wallace...Wallace was given a better offer still...one I feel was a fair contract at this stage of his career...he didn't feel that way...

Perhaps he will change his mind...that would be nice...

I'm just saying that, for me, $10+ million is overpaying for a pretty good player or a decoy...for that kind of bank, he needs to be HoF caliber for 60 minutes, 16 games and the playoffs...

fezziwig
07-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Overreact much?

First: Numbers aren't everything. If they were, the Steelers would have won the SB with their #1 ranked defense...

Second: If Mike Wallace wants $10+ million per year and however much guaranteed money, he needs to freaking dominate...all the time...if people were hard on LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons last year, then there would be a contract on Mike Wallace's life if he was paid a huge contract and then played like he did in the last 8 games and the playoffs...

There is no doubt that Mike Wallace has all the speed you could ask for in a player...but, for the kind of contract he wants, I need more than speed...

Brown didn't get exactly the same offer as Wallace...Wallace was given a better offer still...one I feel was a fair contract at this stage of his career...he didn't feel that way...

I'm just saying that, for me, $10+ million is overpaying for a pretty good player or a decoy...for that kind of bank, he needs to be HoF caliber for 60 minutes, 16 games and the playoffs...

I agree and I've said it before too. For the coin he is asking for, he needs to be a nightmare for the defenses and the major reason our offense wins. Watch Larry Fitzgerald go after the balls, take the ball away from a defender and so on. Wallace is not that type of guy. He's fast and with not to bad to goo hands. Don't get me wrong, I want him on the team but not for the cash he must seem to want. It's all a waste of time talking about it, wondering about it or whatever because, as long as he remains out of camp and off the team....... there is no Steeler future for him.

Sugar
07-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Overreact much?

Well, fortunately Mike Wallace is about a lot more than simply speed. Watch his highlight film and you'll see that very quickly. $10 Mil+ wouldn't be for a decoy, it would be for a Pro-Bowl receiver that makes the whole Offense better when he's on the field. It would be for a guy that opposing D's have to account for any time he's on the field for fear that he might get behind them.

grotonsteel
07-30-2012, 04:43 PM
Overreact much?

Again why do you think MW just is a decoy?? MW is Steelers No. 1 WR. Decoy in NFL don't put MW numbers. He may not be HOF player or Larry/Andre/Megatron category but he is a pretty good player or shall i say steelers best WR.

If lamar Woodley and Timmons can earn a paycheck of 10 million/yr i don't see why MW should not? He has far better production that those two LB last season.

And what was Mike Wallace offered ?? 5 yrs/50 million??? Is that official number or Mark kaboly number??If so can someone post the details of the contract? What was the guaranteed money or signing amount? Was Mike Wallace deal better than AB84 because he was offered 5yrs/50 million or he was given 25 million guaranteed money??

Mike Wallace can play for 3yrs/23 million guaranteed money for Steelers. Why should he take less amount?

NJ-STEELER
07-30-2012, 05:23 PM
Well, fortunately Mike Wallace is about a lot more than simply speed. Watch his highlight film and you'll see that very quickly. $10 Mil+ wouldn't be for a decoy, it would be for a Pro-Bowl receiver that makes the whole Offense better when he's on the field. It would be for a guy that opposing D's have to account for any time he's on the field for fear that he might get behind them.

$$

some people make it sound like he's dwight stone. there's plenty of fast guys in the league or trying to get in the league. yet,we dont see them put up the stats wally has

Oviedo
07-30-2012, 05:48 PM

Unfortunately there isn't $10M per year to pay Wallace so it is a moot point what he is worth.

It is a simple dynamic:

A. Mike, do you want to remain a member of the Steelers? If so, get t camp and sign a similar contract to Antonio Brown.

B. Mike, do you want $10M per year more than you want to stay a member of the Steelers? If so, see you sometime this season and good luck in free agency.

It's not hard and it is totally up to Wallace. All this constant repeating of what he does, how good he is. how he makes others better, etc. etc, is meaningless because the money is the money. Wallace just needs to pick A or B and it is done.

squidkid
07-30-2012, 06:37 PM
for a guy that 'does so much for the rest of the offense', we sure didnt tear up the scoreboard the last couple years with wallace.
are we really willing to say that the rest of our players, ben, brown, heath, mendy, cotch and such are so crappy that wallace carried them to the 21st scoring offense and without him we will fall to the bottom of scoring offense this year if we dont have him? i am willing to bet nobody wants to say all those guys suck. i am also willing to bet that our offense does better than last year statistically even without wallace.
i'm not saying our team isnt better with him(money not taken into account) but to think we cant be competitive(like many here are claiming) is crazy talk. we are not talking about losing a franchise qb and replacing him with a rookie qb or some journeyman qb. we are talking about replacing a 1000 yard, 8 td wr with a 700 yard, 6 td wr............there are 50 wrs in the nfl that can put up those numbers at 4 million a year. i dont think any extra 300 yards and a couple tds are worth an 8 million per cap hit.

Slapstick
07-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Sigh...

Again, my point is missed...

Mike Wallace's first eight games last season might be worth paying $10 million per year...but his last eight games and his playoff game are definitely not...

My "decoy" response is for people who say that Wallace drew the coverage so Brown could succeed...first of all, I don't agree with that notion...I believe that Brown succeeded upon his own merit and hard work...secondly, if that were somehow true, that is not worth $10 million per year either...

NJ-STEELER
07-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Sigh...

Again, my point is missed...

Mike Wallace's first eight games last season might be worth paying $10 million per year...but his last eight games and his playoff game are definitely not...

My "decoy" response is for people who say that Wallace drew the coverage so Brown could succeed...first of all, I don't agree with that notion...I believe that Brown succeeded upon his own merit and hard work...secondly, if that were somehow true, that is not worth $10 million per year either...

brown himself said a lot of his success came from teams concentrating on wallace

chiken
07-31-2012, 12:03 AM
is Nate Washington available?

RuthlessBurgher
07-31-2012, 12:43 AM
for a guy that 'does so much for the rest of the offense', we sure didnt tear up the scoreboard the last couple years with wallace.
are we really willing to say that the rest of our players, ben, brown, heath, mendy, cotch and such are so crappy that wallace carried them to the 21st scoring offense and without him we will fall to the bottom of scoring offense this year if we dont have him? i am willing to bet nobody wants to say all those guys suck. i am also willing to bet that our offense does better than last year statistically even without wallace.
i'm not saying our team isnt better with him(money not taken into account) but to think we cant be competitive(like many here are claiming) is crazy talk. we are not talking about losing a franchise qb and replacing him with a rookie qb or some journeyman qb. we are talking about replacing a 1000 yard, 8 td wr with a 700 yard, 6 td wr............there are 50 wrs in the nfl that can put up those numbers at 4 million a year. i dont think any extra 300 yards and a couple tds are worth an 8 million per cap hit.

Yeah, our scoring offense last year was crap. We scored only 34 offensive touchdowns last season. Look at where that production came from though...half of those TD's were scored by either Mendenhall (9) or Wallace (8). Neither of those guys are in camp right now (PUP...likely out for 6 weeks...and unsigned RFA tender...may be out for 10 weeks). Outside of those two guys, Redman scored 3 rushing TD's and Clay scored 1 rushing TD. Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Miller, and Ward scored 2 receiving TD's each with 1 TD catch each for Saunders, Johnson, and Moore. Ward and Moore are already gone, Saunders is suspended for 4 games, and it is still questionable about whether Clay or Johnson might make the team. Just to get up to the crappy 34 offensive TD's we had last year (which sucked, by the way), we need Redman, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, and Miller to improve upon their scoring prowess BIG TIME in 2012.

steelnavy
07-31-2012, 02:46 AM

Did anyone ever stop to think that if Mike played for most other teams that he wouldn't have these amazing stats? He just happened to have Big Ben who likes to play sandlot football and heave the hail Marys. Think Unibrow from Balimore would have made him look so good?

steelnavy
07-31-2012, 03:51 AM
If lamar Woodley and Timmons can earn a paycheck of 10 million/yr i don't see why MW should not? He has far better production that those two LB last season.

Woodley and Timmons both fill positions on the field which cannot be easily glossed over/covered by someone else if they are not dominant at their specialty. Mike is one of THREE receivers who can more easily be replaced without as much of a let down on the field. On offense, it only takes ONE guy to get open for Ben to pass the ball to. On defense, every man is on an island and must excel at his assignment for the D to be effective. It may sound cliche, but the saying that wide receivers are a dime a dozen has some truth to it. Look what happened last year when Potsie got old - It only takes one weak link on the D to be exposed over and over.

flippy
07-31-2012, 06:21 AM
Yeah, our scoring offense last year was crap. We scored only 34 offensive touchdowns last season. Look at where that production came from though...half of those TD's were scored by either Mendenhall (9) or Wallace (8). Neither of those guys are in camp right now (PUP...likely out for 6 weeks...and unsigned RFA tender...may be out for 10 weeks). Outside of those two guys, Redman scored 3 rushing TD's and Clay scored 1 rushing TD. Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Miller, and Ward scored 2 receiving TD's each with 1 TD catch each for Saunders, Johnson, and Moore. Ward and Moore are already gone, Saunders is suspended for 4 games, and it is still questionable about whether Clay or Johnson might make the team. Just to get up to the crappy 34 offensive TD's we had last year (which sucked, by the way), we need Redman, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, and Miller to improve upon their scoring prowess BIG TIME in 2012.

The one guy that we need to improve is Ben. The WRs, RBs, and TEs don't matter that much. It's mostly on Ben and Haley to figure out how to score and execute.

flippy
07-31-2012, 06:27 AM
I see Brown more in the mold of dare I say, Jimmy Smith type or Hines Ward with quickness.

I see Brown as a Steve Smith (Carolina). He's explosive. A great runner in the open field. And some of the best hands this league has seen.

Slapstick
07-31-2012, 07:04 AM

Well, since Redman won't automatically be taken out of the game in the red zone in favor of Mendenhall, we'll all have the opportunity to see what he can do...

Now that Brown has a contract, he'll be able to start all 16 games and he won't be taken out of the game in the red zone either...

Miller scored 2 TDs in 2010 and 2011...the season before that, he scored 7...perhaps Arians should have called his number a little more...

I'm not worried...I believe these guys are capable and will rise to the occasion now that the opportunity to do so is there...

The standard is the standard...

flippy
07-31-2012, 07:13 AM
The standard is the standard...

In this case, hopefully the standard improves.

BradshawsHairdresser
07-31-2012, 08:24 AM
The one guy that we need to improve is Ben. The WRs, RBs, and TEs don't matter that much. It's mostly on Ben and Haley to figure out how to score and execute.
I'll agree that Ben is the main man on offense. But your WRs need to be able to get open, and then they need to be able to catch the ball. Ben can "figure out how to score" and "execute" a play perfectly, but if the WR on the other end doesn't do his job, it's all for naught. I don't think the Steelers would have paid
Brown $42.5 million, nor do I think they would have offered Wallace $9 million+ per year, and still be telling teams that he's not available for trade, if they thought WRs "don't matter that much."

RuthlessBurgher
07-31-2012, 10:09 AM
Did anyone ever stop to think that if Mike played for most other teams that he wouldn't have these amazing stats? He just happened to have Big Ben who likes to play sandlot football and heave the hail Marys. Think Unibrow from Balimore would have made him look so good?

Unibrow from Baltimore got 50 catches for 841 yards and 7 TD's from rookie speedster Torrey Smith last season.

Ben got 39 catches for 756 yards and 6 TD's from Mike Wallace when he was a rookie speedster in 2009.

So, yeah, that is pretty comparable, at least so far.

feltdizz
07-31-2012, 10:18 AM

The Bucs? If Mike Wallace goes to the Bucs right now he would struggle to get 600 yards...

I know what you are trying to say but Pippen without Jordan would have been a better analogy. It's easy to make a good WR look bad if he plays for the Bucs, Raiders, Dolphins, etc...

Slapstick
07-31-2012, 01:38 PM
Unibrow from Baltimore got 50 catches for 841 yards and 7 TD's from rookie speedster Torrey Smith last season.

Ben got 39 catches for 756 yards and 6 TD's from Mike Wallace when he was a rookie speedster in 2009.

So, yeah, that is pretty comparable, at least so far.

You know who ran a 40 as fast as Torrey Smith? Emmanuel Sanders...

squidkid
07-31-2012, 03:09 PM

i know you're not suggesting that this offense, with the palyers that want to be here and are healthy, will only put up 17 tds this year because wallace and mendy arent here....correct?
11+ million for 8 td wr doesnt sound like much of a bargain.
11+ million doesnt sound like much of a bargain for a guy that opens up stuff for 2 td guys underneath.
11+ million doesnt sound like a smart move if he only opens up his team mates for a total of 13 tds from his franchise qb.
i am willing to bet between those 4 guys you listed, they will take care of the 8 tds that wallace provided.

RuthlessBurgher
07-31-2012, 04:20 PM
i know you're not suggesting that this offense, with the palyers that want to be here and are healthy, will only put up 17 tds this year because wallace and mendy arent here....correct?
11+ million for 8 td wr doesnt sound like much of a bargain.
11+ million doesnt sound like much of a bargain for a guy that opens up stuff for 2 td guys underneath.
11+ million doesnt sound like a smart move if he only opens up his team mates for a total of 13 tds from his franchise qb.
i am willing to bet between those 4 guys you listed, they will take care of the 8 tds that wallace provided.

At this point, no one on our roster has proven that they can put up TD's on a regular basis except for Mendenhall and Wallace. I think Redman should be able to triple his TD production from his 3 to Mendenhall's 9 based on increased opportunity. But do I see Brown or Sanders or Cotchery or Miller being able to quadruple their TD production from their 2 to Wallace's 8? No. If not, then all four of them would need to double their TD production to 4 in order to make up for Wallace's production (and they'd still be short they extra 2 TD passes Hines caught last year).

Wallace is a weapon, and weapon's cost money. Am I suggesting that we pay him 11+ million? No. But contracts can be structured so they have a minimum base salary in year one (which the team would like so that he fits into our tight cap structure), with greater signing bonus guaranteed dollars than Brown got (which Wallace would like because it gives him security), and possibly even a big ol' balloon payment at the very end that he will never see (which Wallace's agent would like, because it helps his reputation by making it look like he got Wallace a huge deal, even if the money at the very end is only phantom dollars (he'd be cut or have a new deal before that final year's salary kicked in).

steelblood
07-31-2012, 05:06 PM
Antonio Brown is a really nice guy. This is a great contract for both parties as Brown gets a raise and some guaranteed money while the Steelers don't have to pay a ton in guaranteed money and can part ways with Brown in a few years if he doesn't live up to the contract.

Slapstick
07-31-2012, 05:52 PM
At this point, no one on our roster has proven that they can put up TD's on a regular basis except for Mendenhall and Wallace. I think Redman should be able to triple his TD production from his 3 to Mendenhall's 9 based on increased opportunity. But do I see Brown or Sanders or Cotchery or Miller being able to quadruple their TD production from their 2 to Wallace's 8? No. If not, then all four of them would need to double their TD production to 4 in order to make up for Wallace's production (and they'd still be short they extra 2 TD passes Hines caught last year).

The Steelers did just fine when Plaxico left via free agency. The Steelers did just fine when they dumped Santonio Holmes. If Mike Wallace chooses not to sign his tender until week 10 (if at all), the Steelers will do just fine without him as well...

Miller himself has put up 6 and 7 TD seasons before...Heath is still in his prime...he can do it again...

Wallace is a weapon, and weapon's cost money. Am I suggesting that we pay him 11+ million? No. But contracts can be structured so they have a minimum base salary in year one (which the team would like so that he fits into our tight cap structure), with greater signing bonus guaranteed dollars than Brown got (which Wallace would like because it gives him security), and possibly even a big ol' balloon payment at the very end that he will never see (which Wallace's agent would like, because it helps his reputation by making it look like he got Wallace a huge deal, even if the money at the very end is only phantom dollars (he'd be cut or have a new deal before that final year's salary kicked in).

You know this and I know this. Most of us on the board know this. You are preaching to the choir...

It's all up to Mike Wallace now...

Slapstick
07-31-2012, 05:55 PM
This was tweeted about the Wallace situation:

Mike Wallace has been demanding Larry Fitzgerald like money, while Antonio Brown is satisfied with Mike Wallace's money.

— Faux John Madden (@FauxJohnMadden) July 27, 2012

Decleater
07-31-2012, 08:09 PM
This was tweeted about the Wallace situation: Exactly who is the false John Madden though?

RuthlessBurgher
08-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Exactly who is the false John Madden though?

If one is the true John Madden, then the other must be the false John Madden...

http://bidondeck.com/img/product_images/max/d4606a80e4c430ff6e660784f58ff86f42d0a985.jpg http://cf.mp-cdn.net/2f/ae/4daad8ecf1105c54ff73411d7501.jpg

hawaiiansteel
09-08-2012, 03:11 AM
Steelers WR Brown new "1A" in Pittsburgh offense

UPDATED: 09/05/2012
By WILL GRAVES AP Sports Writer

PITTSBURGH—The horn signaling the end of Steelers practice on Wednesday hadn't finished echoing off the surrounding hillside when a stream of players dashed off the field and into the locker room.

Not Antonio Brown.

The third-year wide receiver stripped off his shoulder pads, walked over to the sideline and spent an extra 10 minutes catching passes. It's a routine Brown began as a rookie and he's not about to stop now, even if the five-year, $42 million contract extension he signed a month ago means he's officially graduated from sixth-round flyer to budding star.

"If you want to be the best, you have to simply outwork your opponent," Brown said with a shrug of his shoulders.

Something the 26-year-old Brown did with spectacular results in the second half of 2011 when he became quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's favorite target. As defenses adjusted their coverage to take away Pro Bowler Mike Wallace's blazing speed, Brown showcased the soft hands and precise route running that won Roethlisberger's respect in the summer of 2010.

As Wallace's numbers dipped, Brown's soared. He finished with more receptions (35 vs. 29) and more yards (677 vs. 393) than Wallace over the final eight games and while Wallace spent the offseason and the first month of training camp sitting out hoping for a new deal, Brown was a regular at Organized Team Activities and slid into the locker vacated by the recently retired Hines Ward.

Brown downplays the symbolism. He doesn't view the move as a passing of the torch so much as a matter of convenience. The locker puts him right next to Wallace, giving two of the best young receivers in the league plenty of time to commiserate on how to help the Steelers earn their seventh Lombardi Trophy.

And they stress there is no rivalry between them, even if Wallace enters the season with a bit of uncertainty about his future. He signed his one-year tender a week ago and remains optimistic he can get a new contract with the Steelers before the season begins on Sunday at Denver.

Brown doesn't expect Wallace's status to be a distraction, and gives much of the praise for his numbers last season on the heaping amount of attention defenses focused on his teammate.

"Sometimes Mike's clearing out, helping me underneath or other guys are doing the necessary things," Brown said. "That's our mindset."

Wallace plans to be on the field against the Broncos. He practiced with the first team on Wednesday and all signs point to him starting. Only this time it won't be the fading Ward lining up at the other receiver spot but Brown, who appears to be plenty comfortable in offensive coordinator Todd Haley's new system. The scheme calls for shorter routes, relying on the receivers to make splash plays once the ball is in their hands, one of Brown's strengths. He likens them to punt returns.

"You get the ball and a chance to set things up, survey the field," Brown said. "That's something I've always tried to focus on."

While Wallace worked out on his own in Florida during training camp, Brown was scoring on a brilliant 57-yard catch-and-run in a preseason victory over the Colts. He took a screen pass from Roethlisberger, read the block of teammate Heath Miller then darted up the middle of the field for a score, adding a flip into the end zone for style points.

He didn't stick the landing, but he didn't have to. The message was sent. He's ready to take the next step. Brown has certainly convinced teammate Jerricho Cotchery—at 30 the receiving corps' elder statesmen—that he's prepared to make the leap to stardom.

"His mindset is just pitch and catch," Cotchery said. "He just went nuts last year. This guy is coming off an 1,100-yard season and went to the Pro Bowl. You can see it, the way he's running his routes. You can see everything has slowed down for him. I know he's feeling very confident right now."

Roethlisberger is certainly confident in him. Twice during practice on Wednesday, Brown darted downfield against blanket coverage. Twice Roethlisberger put the ball into a tiny window. Twice Brown came down it, the second time making a one-handed grab while doing a pirouette. The pirouette was a little bit for show, Brown said with a smile, his way to make practice harder than the game.

"If you make it more difficult than what you'll face on Sunday night, you'll be ready," Brown said.

He's been ready since the moment he stepped onto the practice field during OTAs shortly after getting drafted. His diligence immediately caught Roethlisberger's attention and the relationship has only strengthened over time.

Ask Roethlisberger about Brown's development and he rattles off a laundry list of things he's seen Brown redouble his focus on in the weeks after signing his new deal that will keep him in black-and-gold for the second half of Roethlisberger's career.

"Just his route running, learning the offense, the defense, when he needs to look back for the ball," Roethlisberger said.

The quarterback, ever the diplomat, declined to name Brown his go-to guy, joking the Steelers top four wideouts are "1A, 1B, 1C and 1D," with tight end Heath Miller "1E."

Maybe, but Brown believes he's just starting to scratch the surface of his potential.

So do the Steelers.

"When given an opportunity, he's done it, and done it in a big way," coach Mike Tomlin said. "We expect that to continue."

Steelers WR Brown new "1A" in Pittsburgh offense - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21473998/steelers-wr-brown-new-1a-pittsburgh-offense#ixzz25qsHqtjr

Oviedo
09-08-2012, 08:17 AM
Steelers WR Brown new "1A" in Pittsburgh offense

UPDATED: 09/05/2012
By WILL GRAVES AP Sports Writer

PITTSBURGH—The horn signaling the end of Steelers practice on Wednesday hadn't finished echoing off the surrounding hillside when a stream of players dashed off the field and into the locker room.

Not Antonio Brown.

The third-year wide receiver stripped off his shoulder pads, walked over to the sideline and spent an extra 10 minutes catching passes. It's a routine Brown began as a rookie and he's not about to stop now, even if the five-year, $42 million contract extension he signed a month ago means he's officially graduated from sixth-round flyer to budding star.

"If you want to be the best, you have to simply outwork your opponent," Brown said with a shrug of his shoulders.

Something the 26-year-old Brown did with spectacular results in the second half of 2011 when he became quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's favorite target. As defenses adjusted their coverage to take away Pro Bowler Mike Wallace's blazing speed, Brown showcased the soft hands and precise route running that won Roethlisberger's respect in the summer of 2010.

As Wallace's numbers dipped, Brown's soared. He finished with more receptions (35 vs. 29) and more yards (677 vs. 393) than Wallace over the final eight games and while Wallace spent the offseason and the first month of training camp sitting out hoping for a new deal, Brown was a regular at Organized Team Activities and slid into the locker vacated by the recently retired Hines Ward.

Brown downplays the symbolism. He doesn't view the move as a passing of the torch so much as a matter of convenience. The locker puts him right next to Wallace, giving two of the best young receivers in the league plenty of time to commiserate on how to help the Steelers earn their seventh Lombardi Trophy.

And they stress there is no rivalry between them, even if Wallace enters the season with a bit of uncertainty about his future. He signed his one-year tender a week ago and remains optimistic he can get a new contract with the Steelers before the season begins on Sunday at Denver.

Brown doesn't expect Wallace's status to be a distraction, and gives much of the praise for his numbers last season on the heaping amount of attention defenses focused on his teammate.

"Sometimes Mike's clearing out, helping me underneath or other guys are doing the necessary things," Brown said. "That's our mindset."

Wallace plans to be on the field against the Broncos. He practiced with the first team on Wednesday and all signs point to him starting. Only this time it won't be the fading Ward lining up at the other receiver spot but Brown, who appears to be plenty comfortable in offensive coordinator Todd Haley's new system. The scheme calls for shorter routes, relying on the receivers to make splash plays once the ball is in their hands, one of Brown's strengths. He likens them to punt returns.

"You get the ball and a chance to set things up, survey the field," Brown said. "That's something I've always tried to focus on."

While Wallace worked out on his own in Florida during training camp, Brown was scoring on a brilliant 57-yard catch-and-run in a preseason victory over the Colts. He took a screen pass from Roethlisberger, read the block of teammate Heath Miller then darted up the middle of the field for a score, adding a flip into the end zone for style points.

He didn't stick the landing, but he didn't have to. The message was sent. He's ready to take the next step. Brown has certainly convinced teammate Jerricho Cotchery—at 30 the receiving corps' elder statesmen—that he's prepared to make the leap to stardom.

"His mindset is just pitch and catch," Cotchery said. "He just went nuts last year. This guy is coming off an 1,100-yard season and went to the Pro Bowl. You can see it, the way he's running his routes. You can see everything has slowed down for him. I know he's feeling very confident right now."

Roethlisberger is certainly confident in him. Twice during practice on Wednesday, Brown darted downfield against blanket coverage. Twice Roethlisberger put the ball into a tiny window. Twice Brown came down it, the second time making a one-handed grab while doing a pirouette. The pirouette was a little bit for show, Brown said with a smile, his way to make practice harder than the game.

"If you make it more difficult than what you'll face on Sunday night, you'll be ready," Brown said.

He's been ready since the moment he stepped onto the practice field during OTAs shortly after getting drafted. His diligence immediately caught Roethlisberger's attention and the relationship has only strengthened over time.

Ask Roethlisberger about Brown's development and he rattles off a laundry list of things he's seen Brown redouble his focus on in the weeks after signing his new deal that will keep him in black-and-gold for the second half of Roethlisberger's career.

"Just his route running, learning the offense, the defense, when he needs to look back for the ball," Roethlisberger said.

The quarterback, ever the diplomat, declined to name Brown his go-to guy, joking the Steelers top four wideouts are "1A, 1B, 1C and 1D," with tight end Heath Miller "1E."

Maybe, but Brown believes he's just starting to scratch the surface of his potential.

So do the Steelers.

"When given an opportunity, he's done it, and done it in a big way," coach Mike Tomlin said. "We expect that to continue."

Steelers WR Brown new "1A" in Pittsburgh offense - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21473998/steelers-wr-brown-new-1a-pittsburgh-offense#ixzz25qsHqtjr

Reward those who show they care. I love the statement the Steelers made. Brown will reward them with performance not rhetoric.

RuthlessBurgher
09-08-2012, 03:45 PM
He took a screen pass from Roethlisberger, read the block of teammate Heath Miller then darted up the middle of the field for a score, adding a flip into the end zone for style points. He didn't stick the landing, but he didn't have to. The message was sent. He's ready to take the next step.

I don't think the message was received, though. I believe that Brown did the flip into-the-end-zone thing as a show of support to Wallace, who did that back in his rookie season.

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/14/61/25/3347828/3/628x471.jpg

http://www.pacsignatures.com/shop/images/T/2-22.jpg