PDA

View Full Version : How Bout a Trade

flippy
07-27-2012, 06:23 AM
MJD is holding out in Jax. Wally won't sign his tender in Pittsburgh.

How bout we trade em?

MJD was a stud with nothing around him. Imagine what he could do in Pittsburgh.

flippy
07-27-2012, 06:28 AM
Even better, Revis isn't happy with the Jets. Wonder if they'd be interested in a WR? I'd rather pay Revis a boatload of money over a WR.

Oviedo
07-27-2012, 07:45 AM
You'd have to get rid of a whole lot more than Wallace to get either MJD or Revis under the cap. Our cap situation is a big part of the problem. That said, I'd take either of them over Wallace in a heartbeat.

ramblinjim
07-27-2012, 07:49 AM
MJD is getting old isn't he? It seems like he's been around forever

D Rock
07-27-2012, 08:05 AM
MJD is getting old isn't he? It seems like he's been around forever

Only 6 years, and he split time the first 3 before being the workhorse the last 3. He's 27 right now and should be good for probably another 3 years.

Decleater
07-27-2012, 08:10 AM
Patience. Mike will sign his tender and the FO will get a long term contract deal done.

ramblinjim
07-27-2012, 09:46 AM
Only 27? Wow. Just seems like he's been around longer than that

DukieBoy
07-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Wallace benefits this offense by taking the top off of defenses. We have a stable of RBs with alot of potential, no need for MJD, imo. Revis, that would be great but for the $$$ issues.

I think and hope they come together on Mike's contract before they leave Latrobe.

RuthlessBurgher
07-27-2012, 10:38 AM
MJD has more carries in the last 3 seasons than anyone else in the league (where RB's typically break down early in their careers if overused), and Revis is an insufferable diva who wants his league-best contract for corners renegotiated every damn year. People here are complaining about Wallace wanting to be paid (he's never made big money before...only $1.7 million total for 3 excellent seasons), and hate the fact that he is not in camp (even though he currently does not have a contract). Well, both of the guys you suggest already have big contracts but still want more money. If I'm going to pay big dollars, I'm going to pay it to one of my guys.

That said, if you do want to talk trade, this is something that I would consider...

The only place on our team where I see that we have aging starters with no legit depth behind them is at safety.

I'd include Wallace in a package for a young stud safety like Earl Thomas in Seattle or Eric Berry in K.C. (even though he was injured for all but one game last year).

I mentioned in the past something like Mike Wallace and Ryan Clark to Seattle for Earl Thomas and Doug Baldwin.

They'd have Mike Wallace, Sidney Rice, and Golden Tate (plus Zach Miller and Kellen Winslow) as offensive weapons (the threat of Wallace's deep speed could also remove a safety from the box, making things easier for Marshawn Lynch), and Ryan Clark could help mentor the young Kam Chancellor in their defensive backfield.

We'd have Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Doug Baldwin, and Jerricho Cotchery at wideout (still a quite solid foursome), and a dynamic young safety next to Troy in Earl Thomas (talk about a strength at safety...that would be awesome!).

Oviedo
07-27-2012, 10:53 AM
MJD has more carries in the last 3 seasons than anyone else in the league (where RB's typically break down early in their careers if overused), and Revis is an insufferable diva who wants his league-best contract for corners renegotiated every damn year. People here are complaining about Wallace wanting to be paid (he's never made big money before...only $1.7 million total for 3 excellent seasons), and hate the fact that he is not in camp (even though he currently does not have a contract). Well, both of the guys you suggest already have big contracts but still want more money. If I'm going to pay big dollars, I'm going to pay it to one of my guys.

That said, if you do want to talk trade, this is something that I would consider...

The only place on our team where I see that we have aging starters with no legit depth behind them is at safety.

I'd include Wallace in a package for a young stud safety like Earl Thomas in Seattle or Eric Berry in K.C. (even though he was injured for all but one game last year).

I mentioned in the past something like Mike Wallace and Ryan Clark to Seattle for Earl Thomas and Doug Baldwin.

They'd have Mike Wallace, Sidney Rice, and Golden Tate (plus Zach Miller and Kellen Winslow) as offensive weapons (the threat of Wallace's deep speed could also remove a safety from the box, making things easier for Marshawn Lynch), and Ryan Clark could help mentor the young Kam Chancellor in their defensive backfield.

We'd have Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Doug Baldwin, and Jerricho Cotchery at wideout (still a quite solid foursome), and a dynamic young safety next to Troy in Earl Thomas (talk about a strength at safety...that would be awesome!).

I authorize you to make the trade with Seattle!!!!!! Go forth and do great things.

grotonsteel
07-27-2012, 10:59 AM
If i am ARII i would fire Kevin Colbert ASAP for a trade of MJD for Mike Wallace.

MJD is not happy with the contract. He wants more money. How is he different from Mike Wallace? In fact he is worse than Mike Wallace because MJD is under contract for 2 yrs. MW is not under contract. Why in the world would one trade for MJD?? If you want to pay, pay to your own player and pro-bowl WRs are difficult to find than a RB. RBs in NFL are dime a dozen.

And when you have a HOF QB you don't trade a pro-bowl WR for RB. A big NO.

Mike Wallace for Revis would be a great trade but again Revis wants money. Big Money.On top of that he is a diva. Would you make Revis highest paid Steelers player? People have trouble giving Mike Wallace 10 million/yr why would anyone give so much money to a CB to play 10 yards away from a WR???

squidkid
07-27-2012, 11:49 AM
If i am ARII i would fire Kevin Colbert ASAP for a trade of MJD for Mike Wallace.

MJD is not happy with the contract. He wants more money. How is he different from Mike Wallace? In fact he is worse than Mike Wallace because MJD is under contract for 2 yrs. MW is not under contract. Why in the world would one trade for MJD?? If you want to pay, pay to your own player and pro-bowl WRs are difficult to find than a RB. RBs in NFL are dime a dozen.

And when you have a HOF QB you don't trade a pro-bowl WR for RB. A big NO.

Mike Wallace for Revis would be a great trade but again Revis wants money. Big Money.On top of that he is a diva. Would you make Revis highest paid Steelers player? People have trouble giving Mike Wallace 10 million/yr why would anyone give so much money to a CB to play 10 yards away from a WR???

the term 'pro bowl' player has no meaning anymore.
wrs and rbs are a dime a dozen anymore in the nfl, elite ones are scarce. wallace is not elite, mjd is.

Slapstick
07-27-2012, 01:23 PM
No trade.

Wallace will play at least this year for the Steelers. His best chance of getting a contract is to play well this year. Sitting out 10 games and then being inactive for the last 6, which is probably what the Steelers would do, will not earn him a contract any better than what the Steelers are offering now and probably worse...

Sugar
07-27-2012, 02:56 PM
No trade.

Wallace will play at least this year for the Steelers. His best chance of getting a contract is to play well this year. Sitting out 10 games and then being inactive for the last 6, which is probably what the Steelers would do, will not earn him a contract any better than what the Steelers are offering now and probably worse...

I think I understand your line of thinking. However, SOME team that is desperate for a guy with those kind of burners will pay a whole lot for a guy like MW. We see teams overpay for guys all the time. Even with a year off, Bus Cook will get someone to show MW the money.

My hope is that it doesn't come to that since the Steelers have a better chance to be more successful with Mike than without him.

flippy
07-27-2012, 03:12 PM
WRs and RBs are both a dime a dozen. I don't really want to pay either.

I'd be cool with Earl Thomas or Eric Berry.

I'd consider overpaying the diva Revis because he just might be worth it.

Just considering the reality that we may not get something done with Wallace. So do we just risk losing him for 10 games and then him being gone next year with nothing in return? or do we possibly try and trade him now and get something back.

It sounded like Jax has themselves pinned in a corner with MJD. And surprisingly he's only about 1 year older than Wallace. He's really compact and hard to get a shot on and might outlast the typical NFL RB.

There might be some other possibilities. I'd even consider trying to get draft picks if we can't sign him. That's a big if of course. I just figure as soon as I talk about trading him, maybe we'll sign him to make my post a moot point.

Iron Shiek
07-27-2012, 03:25 PM
I think I understand your line of thinking. However, SOME team that is desperate for a guy with those kind of burners will pay a whole lot for a guy like MW. We see teams overpay for guys all the time. Even with a year off, Bus Cook will get someone to show MW the money.

My hope is that it doesn't come to that since the Steelers have a better chance to be more successful with Mike than without him.

Too bad Al Davis isn't around...we would easily get 2 1sts and 2 2nds for Wallace, and Darren McFadden probably. But considering they've probably already traded those picks for the forseeable future, the payoff wouldn't likely be seen until around 2018...about the 3rd year for all those 2015 picks.

grotonsteel
07-27-2012, 04:24 PM
No trade.

What are Steelers offering Mike Wallace? I have not heard any number from Steelers yet. I would assume Mike Wallace would be getting similar money to DeSean Jackson.

I don't think MW will sit 10 games. He will show up before 3rd preseason game.

Slapstick
07-27-2012, 04:26 PM

But, if the contract offer next year is no better than the Steelers', what good did it do?

grotonsteel
07-27-2012, 04:42 PM
No trade.

+1

I would not trade Mike Wallace. Let him play this season and if Steelers don't sign him either put a franchise tag or let him go find another team next season. Steelers are not building the team for future. They are in it for SB win this season and Mike Wallace will make life easy for Steelers Offense.

steelz09
07-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Revis is better at CB than what Wallace is at WR. That is why I would pay him 10 mil/year before I would do the same / Wallace.

grotonsteel
07-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Revis is better at CB than what Wallace is at WR. That is why I would pay him 10 mil/year before I would do the same / Wallace.

Do you believe Revis will be signed for 10 million/yr? He is getting almost 12 million/yr from jets (4yr/46 million) and he is not happy with that money. Steelers will have to pony up around 15 million/yr for him something like 4yr/ 55-60 million contract to sign Revis.

steelz09
07-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Do you believe Revis will be signed for 10 million/yr? He is getting almost 12 million/yr from jets (4yr/46 million) and he is not happy with that money. Steelers will have to pony up around 15 million/yr for him something like 4yr/ 55-60 million contract to sign Revis.

No, probably not. I was responding to someone else's post. I would take Revis any day over Wallace. Could you imagine Revis, Ike, Allen, Brown? That's just sick.

I would actually take Revis 4/50 mil over Wallace at 5/50 million.

Slapstick
07-27-2012, 07:28 PM
I'd say that a trade before week six is way more likely now...

The Steelers could allow Bus Cook to negotiate with other teams and make a sign-the-tender-and-trade type deal...

hawaiiansteel
07-29-2012, 02:16 AM
Wallace Unlikely to be Traded, but Not for the Reasons You May Think

by Steelblitz
July 28, 2012

Gerry Dulac tweeted yesterday that he wouldn’t be surprised if the Steelers traded Wallace at some point during training camp. It is believed that after signing Antonio Brown the Steelers no longer believe they will be able to reach a long-term deal with Mike Wallace. Earlier this week it was falsely reported that Wallace had agreed to a five year contract worth $42 million dollars. Antonio Brown’s new deal, coincidentally, is worth that exact amount. After news got out that Wallace’s supposed new deal was a false story it was reported that negotiations had fallen apart. Now Steelers blog sites everywhere are attempting to come up with trade ideas for Wallace.

My current stance is this: Wallace won’t be traded because it won’t be worth it for the Steelers. The best trade idea I have seen is that the Steelers could trade Wallace to the Kansas City Chiefs for disgruntled receiver Dwayne Bowe and a draft pick. However, that deal would require Wallace wanting to go to KC (as he would have to sign a deal to be traded) and KC agreeing to the deal in the first place. Bowe has also been a bit of a head-case in KC and doesn’t seem the type of player the Steelers would be looking to bring in. Other sites have mentioned a Wallace for Maurice Jones-Drew deal, but again that deal makes little practical sense.

The most practical trade idea would be trading Wallace for a draft pick. However, when Wallace was a restricted free agent he held a first round tender (meaning any team who signed him would send their first round pick to the Steelers) and he received no offers. In that case it is highly unlikely to think the Steelers could get a first round pick for Wallace. A second round pick would likely be offered by a multitude of teams, but the value just isn’t there. If the Steelers keep Wallace for 2012 and let him walk via free agency they will receive a third round compensatory selection meaning they could have a year of Wallace plus a third round pick which is worth more than a second round pick.

Wallace is a dynamic playmaker and could be the difference for a team looking to make another run at the Super Bowl. There is also the ever lessening possibility that the Steelers could still sign Wallace long-term. They still have plenty of cap space to work out a deal with Wallace. They can also now threaten to franchise tag him next year as a scare tactic in negotiations. Currently the Steelers are estimated to have in the area of $6 million to spend not including the $2.7 million tendered to Wallace. They could easily sign Wallace to a deal with a cap hit of around $5-6 million in 2012 and leave themselves with some breathing room in case of injury.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/wallace_unlikely_to_be_traded_but_not_for_the_reas ons_you_may_think/11322304

isonator07
07-29-2012, 10:49 AM
Wallace Unlikely to be Traded, but Not for the Reasons You May Think

by Steelblitz
July 28, 2012

Gerry Dulac tweeted yesterday that he wouldn’t be surprised if the Steelers traded Wallace at some point during training camp. It is believed that after signing Antonio Brown the Steelers no longer believe they will be able to reach a long-term deal with Mike Wallace. Earlier this week it was falsely reported that Wallace had agreed to a five year contract worth $42 million dollars. Antonio Brown’s new deal, coincidentally, is worth that exact amount. After news got out that Wallace’s supposed new deal was a false story it was reported that negotiations had fallen apart. Now Steelers blog sites everywhere are attempting to come up with trade ideas for Wallace.

My current stance is this: Wallace won’t be traded because it won’t be worth it for the Steelers. The best trade idea I have seen is that the Steelers could trade Wallace to the Kansas City Chiefs for disgruntled receiver Dwayne Bowe and a draft pick. However, that deal would require Wallace wanting to go to KC (as he would have to sign a deal to be traded) and KC agreeing to the deal in the first place. Bowe has also been a bit of a head-case in KC and doesn’t seem the type of player the Steelers would be looking to bring in. Other sites have mentioned a Wallace for Maurice Jones-Drew deal, but again that deal makes little practical sense.

The most practical trade idea would be trading Wallace for a draft pick. However, when Wallace was a restricted free agent he held a first round tender (meaning any team who signed him would send their first round pick to the Steelers) and he received no offers. In that case it is highly unlikely to think the Steelers could get a first round pick for Wallace. A second round pick would likely be offered by a multitude of teams, but the value just isn’t there. If the Steelers keep Wallace for 2012 and let him walk via free agency they will receive a third round compensatory selection meaning they could have a year of Wallace plus a third round pick which is worth more than a second round pick.

Wallace is a dynamic playmaker and could be the difference for a team looking to make another run at the Super Bowl. There is also the ever lessening possibility that the Steelers could still sign Wallace long-term. They still have plenty of cap space to work out a deal with Wallace. They can also now threaten to franchise tag him next year as a scare tactic in negotiations. Currently the Steelers are estimated to have in the area of $6 million to spend not including the $2.7 million tendered to Wallace. They could easily sign Wallace to a deal with a cap hit of around $5-6 million in 2012 and leave themselves with some breathing room in case of injury.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/wallace_unlikely_to_be_traded_but_not_for_the_reas ons_you_may_think/11322304

If Wallace sits out ten games, his stats obviously will take a hit. Would that make it less likely to receive a third round pick if he leaves in FA 2013? Do they look at production over a career or previous year?

RuthlessBurgher
07-29-2012, 11:28 AM
If Wallace sits out ten games, his stats obviously will take a hit. Would that make it less likely to receive a third round pick if he leaves in FA 2013? Do they look at production over a career or previous year?

Although the exact formula is not known, the comp pick formula appears to be based primarily on the size of the contract a player gets from another team, not statistical production (because, then, how would you compare, say a left guard to a skill position player).

squidkid
07-29-2012, 11:52 AM
i dont think the author really thought the draft pick thru. the steelers best draft pick would be a comp pick at the end of round 3, so somewhere around 97-100. a team that may give up a second round pick will be anywhere between 33-64. that's a potential huge differernce between a player that barely dropped out of the first round compared to a legit middle to end of round 3 guy at best.

isonator07
07-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Although the exact formula is not known, the comp pick formula appears to be based primarily on the size of the contract a player gets from another team, not statistical production (because, then, how would you compare, say a left guard to a skill position player).

Good point, that makes sense. Hopefully he just shows up, and they get a new contract for him.