PDA

View Full Version : Concussion-related lawsuit mentions Steelers’ James Harrison

hawaiiansteel
07-25-2012, 10:03 PM
Concussion-related lawsuit mentions Steelers’ Harrison

By Alan Robinson
Published: Wednesday, July 25, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=m3rmL Qi6QtMNTrIuboe0N8$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYu1Bl_JjeEhSri esTzU879iWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Steelers linebacker James Harrison's reputation as a hard hitter has been criticized by former players in concussion-related lawsuit.

A concussion-related lawsuit filed against the NFL by 73 former players, including former Raiders star Ken “The Snake” Stabler, questions why Steelers linebacker James Harrison is allowed to keep playing despite repeat offenses that endanger fellow players.

The lawsuit, filed Monday in Philadelphia, is one in a series of such legal actions nationally in which more than 2,700 former players are seeking relief from what they contend is the league’s slowness in dealing with the dangers of concussions and brain trauma.

Mentioned prominently are a number of in-game incidents from 2009 on, after a Boston University study revealed that multiple former NFL players died prematurely after developing boxer-like brain damage.

The players argue in the suit that “recidivist violators” such as Harrison, a former NFL Defensive Player of the Year and one of the league’s most punishing hitters, shouldn’t be allowed to keep playing. In legal terms, a recidivist is a repeat offender. The court filing mentions five illegal hits by Harrison on quarterbacks over three seasons.

Hits by Harrison resulted in multiple players sustaining concussions, including Browns quarterback Colt McCoy last season and Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi in 2010. Harrison drew a one-game suspension for the helmet-to-helmet McCoy hit and a $75,000 fine and no suspension for the Massaquoi hit.

Asked about the unusual request by former players to effectively ban a current player, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin told the Tribune-Review: “I’ll leave that (the lawsuit) up to the lawyers. That’s for the lawyers. We’re here for football.”

Harrison reported to training camp Wednesday but did not talk to reporters.

“Those guys (former players) aren’t around and they don’t know the type of player that he is,” said quarterback Charlie Batch, the vice president of the NFL Players Association. “We know he’s not that way. The fight is not against somebody like a current player; the fight ultimately comes down to the NFL. You’re trying to make the game safer, and they’re pushing for 18 games. If concussions are a point of emphasis, these questions don’t need to be answered by the players. This needs to be answered by Roger (Goodell, the NFL commissioner) and the people in charge of the NFL. … The fight is not players against players.”

The lawsuit, first reported by ProFootballTalk.com, requests — among other things — a court-ordered monitoring of injuries resulting from hits to the head and punitive damages.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2272925-85/players-nfl-former-harrison-lawsuit-player-concussions-fight-game-hits

Discipline of Steel
07-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Ken 'The Scumbag' Stabler. didnt hear him crying for Jack Tatum to be banned from the game back when they were on the same team.

DukieBoy
07-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Why was Jack Tatum allowed to continue playing, back in Stabler's day ?

Discipline of Steel
07-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Im disgusted with this topic.

Discipline of Steel
07-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Jack Tatum was allowed to continue playing after the Daryl Stingley incident because there were no greedy lawyers involved. It was just football.

flippy
07-26-2012, 08:57 AM
If Colt McCoy was concussed, why did the Browns allow him to keep playing?

The players should be more concerned about that. Harrison literally puts his life/career on the line every play and has to make split second decisions and guys he's hitting are typically moving targets. There's more time between plays. And the Browns let McCoy play after getting hit by Harrison. That's a bigger issue imho.

If they really want to solve the problem, take the helmets off. Again, James Harrison isn't the one that decides if he wears a helmet or not. That's on the league.

phillyesq
07-26-2012, 09:57 AM
This has absolutely no bearing on his lawsuit and is done solely for the purpose of attracting media attention which, unfortunately, it did.

grotonsteel
07-26-2012, 10:46 AM
This is really a stupid article.

dreegking
07-26-2012, 01:40 PM
500 plus players in the suit, should not have played and did it to themsleves.

I say this in jest, to go after Harrison by name verges on full throttle lunacy. Maybe they should rewind the clock and look at how they played themselves. He plays perfect, old school football, like the era in which they came. Get a grip guys. You did it to yourselves. America? Land of the lawsuit and home of the "it's not my fault."

RuthlessBurgher
07-26-2012, 08:13 PM
James Harrison doesn’t know who Ken Stabler is
Posted by Mike Florio on July 26, 2012, 5:58 PM EDT

Before the question can be asked regarding whether current players care about former players, the first question is whether the current players even know who the former players are.

Earlier this week, a concussion lawsuit led by former Raiders quarterback Ken Stabler pointed to the fact that the league’s Super Bowl XLVI commercial regarding decades of changes to the rules fails to mention “how recidivist violators like James Harrison (who has had five illegal hits on quarterbacks in three seasons) are allowed to continue to play the game.”

We noticed that language, appearing at paragraph 145 and page 65 of the 209-paragraph, 80-page complaint, we mentioned it, Alan Robinson of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review repeated it, and Harrison was asked about it on Thursday by Tim Benz of WXDX radio.

Here’s the relevant exchange.

Benz: “James, are you aware of the story about the lawsuit mentioning your name in Philadelphia and if so what’s your reaction to it?”

Harrison: “I’m not aware of it.”

Benz: “Ken Stabler and some of the other former pro football players in a concussion suit referenced you as a guy that was a repeat offender and maybe should be out of the game. When you hear former players say that about you –”

Harrison: “Who is — Ken who?”

Benz: “Ken Stabler.”

Harrison: “Who is that?”

Benz: “Former Raider quarterback.”

Harrison: “Never heard of him. His opinion doesn’t matter to me.”

Frankly, Stabler’s opinion shouldn’t matter to Harrison. But it’s a little surprising that Harrison has never heard of the guy.

We realize that plenty of the men who play pro football aren’t passionate fans of the game. And we don’t expect football players to be football historians. But for a key member of the Steelers to not know the name of a Super Bowl-era quarterback who won a Super Bowl and who played quarterback in some of the most celebrated games in Steelers history is a little strange.

Then again, if Ken Stabler’s opinion doesn’t matter to Harrison, mine definitely doesn’t.

“Who is — Mike who?”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/26/james-harrison-doesnt-know-who-ken-stabler-is/

flippy
07-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Harrison: “Who is — Ken who?”

Benz: “Ken Stabler.”

Harrison: “Who is that?”

Benz: “Former Raider quarterback.”

Harrison: “Never heard of him. His opinion doesn’t matter to me.”

Wonder if Harrison was serious or joking and it went over Benz head? I think Harrison has a sense of humor but it gets lost on people cause they're scared of him.

Seriously, check out any Steelers visits to a children's hospital or something similar and James is the biggest softie on the team always laughing it up with the kids. I think the kids are innocent, so they see his humor.

phillyesq
07-27-2012, 10:02 AM
Wonder if Harrison was serious or joking and it went over Benz head? I think Harrison has a sense of humor but it gets lost on people cause they're scared of him.

Seriously, check out any Steelers visits to a children's hospital or something similar and James is the biggest softie on the team always laughing it up with the kids. I think the kids are innocent, so they see his humor.

He may well have been joking, but either way, a perfect response.

RuthlessBurgher
07-27-2012, 12:17 PM
I preferred his "Who's Trevor Pryce?" response after Pryce called James' 3.5 sacks and 3 forced fumbles (plus 1 fumble recovery and 1 interception) against the Ravens a few years ago a fluke.

DukieBoy
07-27-2012, 12:33 PM
​Funny stuff from James. Stabler better laugh, too.

Slapstick
07-27-2012, 01:19 PM
I preferred his "Who's Trevor Pryce?" response after Pryce called James' 3.5 sacks and 3 forced fumbles (plus 1 fumble recovery and 1 interception) against the Ravens a few years ago a fluke.

When told that Pryce was a Ravens' defender, James asked, "What did he do?"

In that game, Pryce had exactly 0 tackles...

hawaiiansteel
07-27-2012, 01:46 PM
who is Peyton Manning? :D

Peyton Manning's plea to James Harrison

July, 27, 2012
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Peyton Manning remains one of the smartest quarterbacks in the NFL. If you don't believe me, check out the video when he's asked by ESPN's Tom Jackson about his confidence level in taking a hit to his surgically repaired neck.

"I have no concern over that," Manning said. "I'm not begging James Harrison to blindside me by any means but I feel I'm going to be able to handle that."

Manning and the Broncos face Harrison and the Steelers in a season-opening prime-time game Sept. 9. If Harrison didn't get Manning's gist, the $96 million quarterback mentioned Harrison a second time in the interview.

"So James, I love you and don't take this as a challenge now," Manning said, presumably only half-joking. "Go easy on me if you can."

I don't blame Manning. Harrison has just as many knockouts as Floyd Mayweather Jr. (Google Colt McCoy-James Harrison hit from last season). Perhaps Manning should tweet Harrison just to make sure he got the message.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/51374/peyton-mannings-plea-to-james-harrison