PDA

View Full Version : Wallace officially a no-show; Steelers suspend negotiations

hawaiiansteel
07-25-2012, 04:23 PM
Wallace a no-show; Steelers suspend negotiations

July 25, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://c4241337.r37.cf2.rackcdn.com/2012/206/879/wallace_420.jpg

Mike Wallace, reaching for a catch in a game last season against Seattle.

Mike Wallace took another stand when he did not report to training camp on time, and now apparently the Steelers will take one of their own as the contract impasse between the two sides takes a new turn.

The Steelers will suspend negotiations on a multiple-year contract until Wallace signs his one-year tender and reports to the team, a club source said. As a restricted free agent, Wallace was offered a one-year contract worth $2.472 million last March but he remains the only RFA in the NFL who has not signed.

Wallace, who made the Pro Bowl in his third season last year, cannot practice until he is under contract, either by signing the one-year tender or by signing another contract offered by the team that has now been basically rescinded.

The stance of ending negotiations for a holdout has been taken by the team before, most recently when Hines Ward held out for the first two weeks of the 2005 training camp. However, Ward had one year left on his contract at the time and was pressing for a new one. After ending his holdout, negotiations resumed and he received a four-year extension three weeks later.

Steelers president Art Rooney II declined comment on the situation Wednesday during a press conference to formally announce the signing of first-round draft choice David DeCastro. In June, Rooney told the Post-Gazette, regarding Wallace's absence from all spring activities, "He should be here."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/wallace-a-no-show-steelers-suspend-negotiations-646152/#ixzz21eyCjtyH

Shawn
07-25-2012, 04:45 PM
I suspect this won't end well. By history, Wallace knew if he didn't show the Steelers would stop talking. Therefore, I must assume he is more than posturing.

phillyesq
07-25-2012, 04:51 PM
Perhaps this is cockeyed optimism, but I have a feeling that a Wallace deal gets worked out in the next week or two, or that, at a very minimum, he reports to camp.

Oviedo
07-25-2012, 05:04 PM
If he doesn't report they should be done talking. When he is on the field then he earns the right to negotiate.

Slapstick
07-25-2012, 05:07 PM
If he doesn't report they should be done talking. When he is on the field then he earns the right to negotiate.

The Steelers won't negotiate until he reports...

In the meantime, Emmanuel Sanders will take over the X (Split End) for Wallace...

Oviedo
07-25-2012, 05:09 PM
The Steelers won't negotiate until he reports...

In the meantime, Emmanuel Sanders will take over the X (Split End) for Wallace...

I am looking forward to Brown and Sanders having great seasons.

hawaiiansteel
07-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Mike Wallace and his agent have now painted themselves into a corner and the only way out of the corner is for Wallace to sign his RFA tender and report to camp so negotiations will resume once again.

the Steelers will not waver in their stance, history has proven that.

flippy
07-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Can the Steelers reduce the tender now?

ikestops85
07-25-2012, 06:01 PM

No, I don't believe they can. There was only a short window for them to be able to do that.

Chadman
07-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Settle down...give it a couple of days for the nuts & bolts to be ironed out & he'll be there. Maybe not even that long. Wes Saunders just about let the cat out of the bag- the deal looks to be just about in place.

Eddie Spaghetti
07-25-2012, 06:02 PM

why in the hell would they?

this is just posturing. Some of you guys need to take a deep breath.

the wallace deal will get done. Jeez louise.

flippy
07-25-2012, 06:11 PM
why in the hell would they?

this is just posturing. Some of you guys need to take a deep breath.

the wallace deal will get done. Jeez louise.

Maybe they could try and trade him instead. ;)

SteelBucks
07-25-2012, 06:11 PM
I still think he'll report soon. The Steelers will usually contact hold-outs and tell them they'll negotiate in good faith once he reports. That translated means they are close in numbers and a contract will get done.

But if this drags on, both sides are way off.

flippy
07-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Settle down...give it a couple of days for the nuts & bolts to be ironed out & he'll be there. Maybe not even that long. Wes Saunders just about let the cat out of the bag- the deal looks to be just about in place.

I think there's a correlation between being rational and living far away from Pittsburgh. I'm only 500 miles away so this drama gets me going. :)

hawaiiansteel
07-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Bus Cook, Agent for Mike Wallace, Has a Client History of Training Camp Drama

by Neal Coolong on Jul 25, 2012

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4786353/127886353_extra_large.jpg

Steelers WR Mike Wallace's decision whether to sign his restricted free agency tender offer of $2.7 million has been the headline-grabbing story this off-season.

With that off-season all but finished (players report to training camp today for the infamous conditioning test with practice beginning Thursday), that one-year contract is nothing but unsigned.

Will Wallace show up today, sign the contract, run his 16 110-yard sprints (or some other ungodly amount) and let his agent and the front office continue negotiating a long-term deal? Or will he sit it all out?

There's been nothing but conjecture and speculation to this point (including a poorly timed joke Tuesday announcing Wallace had signed a five-year deal, just an hour after the Steelers announced an extension for head coach Mike Tomlin), but the fact is Wallace cannot practice with the team until his contract is signed.

The team wants him in training camp. Ergo, he isn't going to get a long-term deal until he signs the offer in front of him.

That's what makes this situation different for Wallace than it was for former Steelers WR Hines Ward, who held out the first two weeks of the 2005 season. Ward was under contract, and subjected to fines for missing practice. Wallace is not, and cannot be fined.

So what are the odds he signs either his tender offer or a long-term deal today?

Taking a look at the client list of his agent, Bus Cook, a few notable names pop out. First is Lions WR Calvin Johnson, who signed an eight-year, $132 million contract - $60 million guaranteed - this offseason. While no one would confuse Wallace for Johnson, it shows Cook has negotiated the largest wide receiver contract in history.

Not dramatic, but it shows Cook's vision. If Wallace is seen as half the player Johnson is, it's a pretty substantial deal.

Another Cook client, Jaguars TE Marcedes Lewis, held out for five days starting training camp last year. He differs from Wallace in that Lewis signed the franchise tag he was given before camp started, so he was fined for each of the five days he missed before he reported. The Steelers do not have that leverage on Wallace.

Lewis signed a five-year, $25 million contract five days after his holdout ended.

Cook also handles Bears QB Jay Cutler, perhaps best known for his stint in Denver where he eventually requested a trade from the team that drafted him. Put the blame for that on Cutler or Cook or former head coach Josh McDaniels, the fact is there isn't much precedent for a franchise quarterback demanding a trade three years after his selection.

And let's not forget Brett Favre. His "Will-He-Or-Won't-He" act will be forever a part of football and pop culture history. Perhaps not something to blame on the agent, but again, something you just don't see much of throughout the league.

This isn't to suggest Cook's clients all pull stunts, or even that Wallace would be wrong for holding out, it does show recent history of some of his clients taking action that would not place them with their respective teams at the start of camp.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/7/25/3185702/steelers-training-camp-holdout-mike-wallace-bus-cook-marcedes-lewis-hines-ward

squidkid
07-25-2012, 07:19 PM
F you wallace. this is exactly why i wanted the steelers to reduce his tender on the first day eligible. the organization showed good faith by not reducing it and wallace repays that gesture by not showing up to camp...........F you.

hawaiiansteel
07-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Ed: Tomlin to Wallace: This 'Thing' Bigger than You

WEDNESDAY, 25 JULY 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Coach Mike Tomlin held a press conference after the run-test this afternoon and listed six players who will open training camp on the PUP or physically unable to perform list: James Harrison (knee), Max Starks (knee), Rashard Mendenhall (knee), Casey Hampton (knee), Jason Worilds (wrist) and Damon Cromartie-Smith (shoulder).

He also addressed Mike Wallace’s absence:

“Obviously Mike Wallace was not here today. I don’t know when he’s going to be here. Obviously we have a desire for him to be here. We want him to be a part of this thing both short term and long term. We’ve been in negotiations with him. He’s not here today. It’s unfortunate for him.

One thing that experience has taught me is that this is bigger than all of us. It’s bigger than Mike, it’s bigger than me, so I mean that when I say it’s unfortunate for him that he’s not here.

“This group that is the Pittsburgh Steelers will continue to push on. We’ll focus our energies of readying the people who are here and when he shows up, he shows up.”

As we’ve written, a source told us the Steelers will end negotiations on a multiple-year contract until Wallace reports.

“I’m less concerned about negotiations from a coach’s standpoint,’’ Tomlin said. “I want the player here. We’ve extended a tender to him, of course he hasn’t signed it. But I’m focused on the guys here working so I won’t focus on him until he gets here.”

And as for Emmanuel Sanders possibly winning Wallace’s job the longer he stays out, Tomlin said, “I’m not going to get into the hypotheticals. What I’m going to do is work with Emmanuel Sanders because he’s here, and be excited about doing it.”

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117345-ed-tomlin-to-wallace-this-thing-bigger-than-you

flippy
07-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Ed: Tomlin to Wallace: This 'Thing' Bigger than You

WEDNESDAY, 25 JULY 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Coach Mike Tomlin held a press conference after the run-test this afternoon and listed six players who will open training camp on the PUP or physically unable to perform list: James Harrison (knee), Max Starks (knee), Rashard Mendenhall (knee), Casey Hampton (knee), Jason Worilds (wrist) and Damon Cromartie-Smith (shoulder).

He also addressed Mike Wallace’s absence:

“Obviously Mike Wallace was not here today. I don’t know when he’s going to be here. Obviously we have a desire for him to be here. We want him to be a part of this thing both short term and long term. We’ve been in negotiations with him. He’s not here today. It’s unfortunate for him.

One thing that experience has taught me is that this is bigger than all of us. It’s bigger than Mike, it’s bigger than me, so I mean that when I say it’s unfortunate for him that he’s not here.

“This group that is the Pittsburgh Steelers will continue to push on. We’ll focus our energies of readying the people who are here and when he shows up, he shows up.”

As we’ve written, a source told us the Steelers will end negotiations on a multiple-year contract until Wallace reports.

“I’m less concerned about negotiations from a coach’s standpoint,’’ Tomlin said. “I want the player here. We’ve extended a tender to him, of course he hasn’t signed it. But I’m focused on the guys here working so I won’t focus on him until he gets here.”

And as for Emmanuel Sanders possibly winning Wallace’s job the longer he stays out, Tomlin said, “I’m not going to get into the hypotheticals. What I’m going to do is work with Emmanuel Sanders because he’s here, and be excited about doing it.”

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117345-ed-tomlin-to-wallace-this-thing-bigger-than-you

Tomlin's one passive aggressive cat.

Slapstick
07-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Tomlin's one passive aggressive cat.

How so? What leads you to believe that?

hawaiiansteel
07-25-2012, 07:51 PM
Source: Mike Wallace doesn't report

Updated: July 25, 2012
ESPN.com news services

Talks between the Pittsburgh Steelers and unsigned restricted free agent Mike Wallace have broken off, and the Steelers don't plan to talk contract until the wide receiver reports to camp, a source told ESPN senior NFL writer John Clayton on Wednesday.

The sides exchanged proposals Monday without resolution.

On Tuesday, according to the source, contact between the sides was minimal as they hoped a break in the talks would create a fresh chance of resolution. But with Wallace not reporting for the start of Steelers camp Wednesday afternoon, Pittsburgh isn't planning to do much more in trying to resolve the dispute, the source said.

The Steelers had a Wednesday deadline of 3 p.m. ET to report to training camp. With Wallace not under contract, the team won't have the ability to fine him.

"Obviously, we have a desire for him to be here," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "We want him to be part of this thing, both short term and long term. We've been in negotiations with him. He's not here today. That's unfortunate for him."

Wallace skipped all of the team's offseason workouts and has not signed his $2.7 million first-round tender. The Steelers have the franchise tag available after the season if Wallace plays out this year under the one-year restricted tender.

General manager Kevin Colbert reiterated last month the speedy Wallace remains in the team's future plans.

"Our intention has always been to sign Mike to a long-term contract," Colbert said.

Steelers team president Art Rooney II also has said the team wants to sign Wallace to a multiyear contract.

Wallace caught 72 passes for 1,193 yards and eight passing touchdowns last season, all team highs. In three seasons, he has 171 catches for 3,206 yards and 24 TDs.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8199991/source-pittsburgh-steelers-wide-receiver-mike-wallace-break-contract-talks

flippy
07-25-2012, 07:53 PM
How so? What leads you to believe that?

It's unfortunate he's not here...

We'll focus our energies on the guys that are here....

I'm going to work with Manny Sanders cause he's here and I'm excited about it....

This is bigger than all of us....

I listened to the press conference and just heard it as a shot at Wally's ego. Seems like Tomlin's always working on his ego in a passive way. From calling him a one trick pony. To dismissing the importance of Wally by saying he'll work with the guys who are here. All the while being nice.

He mentioned a few other things in the presser like there will always be other guys to throw and catch and tackle. It's just the nature of the game.

The thing that really told me it was being aggressive though was that this was in his prepared remarks. It wasn't questions from reporters that got him going on this topic. Tomlin chose to talk about it on his own. It's like he knew these words will probably show up on SportsCenter.

Slapstick
07-25-2012, 08:03 PM
It's unfortunate he's not here...

We'll focus our energies on the guys that are here....

I'm going to work with Manny Sanders cause he's here and I'm excited about it....

This is bigger than all of us....

I just don't see how that's passive/aggressive...

I mean, he can't say, "Well, we'll just have to wait for Mike. We won't have anybody running routes from the 'X' position."

I think it's less taking shots at Mike as it is answering the inevitable media questions and laying out specific answers so that he doesn't hear the same questions about Wallace day in and day out...

hawaiiansteel
07-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Report: Steelers have stopped negotiating with WR Mike Wallace

By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Blogger
July 25, 2012

http://cbssports.com/images/blogs/Mike_Wallace_Larry_Fitzgerald_Money_Restricted_Fre e_Agent.jpg

Wallace is still waiting for a long-term deal.

Apparently, the Steelers have had enough of negotiating with Mike Wallace.

According to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, the Steelers have decided to shut down contract talks with the talented receiver -- who further raised the team's ire when he didn't report to camp on time.

Wallace -- who supposedly is interested in Larry Fitzgerald-type money (eight years, $120 million) -- is the only restricted free agent in the league who has not signed his tender, and until he does (it's worth $2.472 million for 2012), the team is not going to discuss a multi-year contract with him.

The Post Gazette notes that Hines Ward, who had one year left on his contract at the time, held out for two weeks in 2005 and the team stopped negotiating with him until he showed up at training camp. Three weeks after he made his appearance, Ward got his four-year extension.

About a week ago, CBSSports.com's Jason La Canfora said that the two sides were close to a deal, reporting that “the situation has certainly improved since early this offseason” and that “both sides are motivated to complete a long-term contract."

But Wallace's refusal to show for training camp apparently has brought both sides back to the beginning.

In April, Wallace's camp made it clear that he wouldn't sign his free agent tender until “he had to.” You have to wonder when that time will come -- or if it's already passed.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19656311/report-steelers-have-stopped-negotiating-with-wr-mike-wallace

RuthlessBurgher
07-25-2012, 08:52 PM
F you wallace. this is exactly why i wanted the steelers to reduce his tender on the first day eligible. the organization showed good faith by not reducing it and wallace repays that gesture by not showing up to camp...........F you.

Classy response...do you plan on cheering the multiple Ben-to-Wallace 40+ yard TD passes that will occur this season, or will you just still continue with the "F you wallace" attitude? Just curious (I don't understand the mindset of letting things like this get so personal...I doubt the folks who are directly involved such as Wallace/Cook or Colbert/Khan are taking this as personal as you are...it's just business...business tends to work it self out when both sides are motivated to get a deal done...and thus far, there is nothing to indicate that is no longer the case from either side).

Sugar
07-25-2012, 08:55 PM
Classy response...do you plan on cheering the multiple Ben-to-Wallace 40+ yard TD passes that will occur this season, or will you just still continue with the "F you wallace" attitude? Just curious (I don't understand the mindset of letting things like this get so personal...I doubt the folks who are directly involved such as Wallace/Cook or Colbert/Khan are taking this as personal as you are...it's just business...business tends to work it self out when both sides are motivated to get a deal done...and thus far, there is nothing to indicate that is no longer the case from either side).

OK, so I guess there is no "Like" button on a message board- well there ought to be for this one!

Oviedo
07-25-2012, 09:50 PM

I'd love to cheer multiple Ben - to - Wallace 40+ yard TD passes but that would require Wallace to be on the field and knowing what route he was suppose to run. Until he shows up we won't be cheering anything.

I guess I'm not as confident that both sides are motivated for a deal given the Steelers stopped negotiating until Wallace shows up. Ball seems to be in his court now to get on the field if he is really motivated to get a deal done.

hawaiiansteel
07-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Wallace Can’t Win

July 25th, 2012
Mark Kaboly | Tribune-Review

To steal a line from the movie “Rocky IV” and apply it to Mike Wallace: “You can’t win!”

Mike Wallace can’t win, and won’t win this showdown with the Steelers.

The Steelers disgruntled wide receiver failed to show for the first day of training camp Wednesday, officially making him the first non-rookie holdout since Hines Ward seven years ago, and the Steelers aren’t happy about it.

Very out of character, Mike Tomlin voiced his displeasure a number of times during his opening press conference.

“Obviously on a not so positive note, Mike Wallace isn’t here …”

“He’s not here today and that’s unfortunate for him …”

“This group who are the Pittsburgh Steelers will continue to push on …”

“When he shows up, he shows up …”

“I won’t focus on him until he gets here …”

And who can blame the Steelers?

The two sides were making significant progress with contract negotiations, but with Wallace deciding to hold out, everything has come to a screeching halt.

Whoever is giving Wallace advice isn’t helping his cause whatsoever.

Nothing can and will be accomplished by holding out … at least nothing positive.

First and foremost, Wallace isn’t going to intimidate the Steelers at all. So if that is his plan of why he is deciding to hold out, he’s misguided.

If the Steelers shut off Ward in 2005 when he held out, I am sure they won’t blink when it comes to Wallace.

And it is safe to say that Wallace won’t win any popularity contests with the fans.

There’s no worse recipe for disaster to a player’s public persona that to quibble over money. Pittsburgh fans won’t stand for it.

Wallace has put himself in a lose-lose situation, and he didn’t have to.

There is nothing good that can, and will, come out of holding out, and the longer it goes on, the worse it’s going to get.

It’s likely that Wallace will show up by the beginning of the week meaning that his mini-holdout was just to reinforce his displeasure.

But now, it’s not good for both parties involved, and Wallace has nobody to blame for that except himself.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/07/25/wallace-cant-win/#.UBCBBh2EL24.twitter

DukieBoy
07-25-2012, 10:23 PM
Maybe Mike's not ready for the challenge race with Rainy.
Seriously, they'll work through this in a couple of weeks.

dreegking
07-26-2012, 02:12 AM
At what point can the Steelers start to fine Wallace and reduce his pay or would be pay?

JDSteeler
07-26-2012, 02:31 AM
I'd trade his sorry @$$ for a 7th Round pick, and a VHS copy of Dumb and Dumber!!!

Anybody got a bottle of "Turbo-Lax"??

Wallace is just straight...in it for himself...and that is as selfish as it gets!

I really think he's on his high, freaking horse, and I don't think he will come down
for awhile!!!

He and his agent cant be this freaking stupid! They knew that the Steelers don't
play Hold-Out games, and Wally held out knowning this $hit!!

I hope Haley stomps a mud-hole thru his freaking @$$ when he runs the freaking wrong
route, or drops a pass!!! It will be epic!!

JD

steelnavy
07-26-2012, 03:34 AM
I just don't see how that's passive/aggressive...

I mean, he can't say, "Well, we'll just have to wait for Mike. We won't have anybody running routes from the 'X' position."

I think it's less taking shots at Mike as it is answering the inevitable media questions and laying out specific answers so that he doesn't hear the same questions about Wallace day in and day out...

Its definitely passive/aggressive.

squidkid
07-26-2012, 06:51 AM

you mean as classy as wallace is acting?
wallace isnt a steeler. he chooses not to be one. he is not doing anything to help his former team or teammates succeed. i will not support him until he becomes a member of this team. i will view him as any other nfl player that holds out, as a distraction. as a greedy player that only cares about himself and not the team, organization or fans.
i dont cheer for non steeler nfl players duringh the season unless they are helping my fantasy teams make me money. until he does something that benefits me or makes me happy, no i wont support him and have no reason to.

Slapstick
07-26-2012, 07:10 AM
Its definitely passive/aggressive.

What's definitely passive/aggressive is not coming to camp...

Oviedo
07-26-2012, 07:42 AM
wallace isnt a steeler. he chooses not to be one. he is not doing anything to help his former team or teammates succeed. i will not support him until he becomes a member of this team. i will view him as any other nfl player that holds out, as a distraction. as a greedy player that only cares about himself and not the team, organization or fans.
i dont cheer for non steeler nfl players duringh the season unless they are helping my fantasy teams make me money. until he does something that benefits me or makes me happy, no i wont support him and have no reason to.

Concur. Wallace is the one who is choosing to not be part of the solution therefore he is part of the problem.

D Rock
07-26-2012, 07:46 AM
At what point can the Steelers start to fine Wallace and reduce his pay or would be pay?

Never. Mike Wallace is not a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers at this time as he has not signed his tender and therefore is not under contract. He is not required to report to camp or show up anywhere.

They could still drop his tender amount at any time but have stated they will not do so because he has earned the 2.74 million and is worth it.

squidkid
07-26-2012, 08:00 AM
Never. Mike Wallace is not a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers at this time as he has not signed his tender and therefore is not under contract. He is not required to report to camp or show up anywhere.

They could still drop his tender amount at any time but have stated they will not do so because he has earned the 2.74 million and is worth it.

not positive but i believe that the only day that they could reduce his tender was june 15th

8467thekraken
07-26-2012, 08:30 AM
I read somewhere that he is the only FA in the league who hasn't signed.

To me, when you extend professionalism towards the Rooneys, it is reciprocated.

Especially when they didn't knock down the offer when they could have.

Either his representation sucks or he is concussed. I really can't believe he was a no show.

flippy
07-26-2012, 08:48 AM

While it may be irrational, I get where the sentiment comes from. Fans just want players to care as much about the team and winning as we do. Maybe it would have been better to say F the business aspect of football instead of F Wallace. But I suspect the intent was the same.

And the Steelers will always be the Steelers with or without Wallace, so I can see why the fan response would be anger toward the player instead of the team.

There is no rational in being a fanatic afterall ;)

Ghost
07-26-2012, 09:00 AM
I blame the agent the most. I don't care who his past/current players are, you have to understand how each individual team works. What Detroit did, what Jacksonville did, means nothing. The Steelers simply will not deal with you if you don't come to camp. It's a stance they've had for decades. Why this chump of an agent thinks he will suddenly get them to change their S.O.P is head scratching and stupid. They are not going to blink and now you've put your client in a no-win situation.

I am hoping to see ben airing it out to Wallace on a regular basis, but this team is FAR from lost if Wallace (and agent) continue to act like jack asses and don't show up.

"What I’m going to do is work with Emmanuel Sanders because he’s here, and be excited about doing it.” - Tomlin (for some reason I really like this statement. And while some may see it as a swipe; I actually believe this is how Tomlin feels. It's not personal but he genuinely loves working with the players. He's excited that camp has started.)

Slapstick
07-26-2012, 09:11 AM
"What I’m going to do is work with Emmanuel Sanders because he’s here, and be excited about doing it.” - Tomlin (for some reason I really like this statement. And while some may see it as a swipe; I actually believe this is how Tomlin feels. It's not personal but he genuinely loves working with the players. He's excited that camp has started.)

Exactly!

Tomlin's job is to get this team ready to compete. He can't work with Wallace if Wallace doesn't show up...his only choice is to work with the players who reported. "The standard is the standard."

squidkid
07-26-2012, 09:25 AM
I blame the agent the most. I don't care who his past/current players are, you have to understand how each individual team works. What Detroit did, what Jacksonville did, means nothing. The Steelers simply will not deal with you if you don't come to camp. It's a stance they've had for decades. Why this chump of an agent thinks he will suddenly get them to change their S.O.P is head scratching and stupid. They are not going to blink and now you've put your client in a no-win situation.

I am hoping to see ben airing it out to Wallace on a regular basis, but this team is FAR from lost if Wallace (and agent) continue to act like jack asses and don't show up.

i fault the agent some too, but i believe it truly lies with wallace. he has been around this organization for 3 years, has seen players come and go and have teammates that have gone thru contract negotiations like this before. he has been told numerous times on how the steelers operate and what is the most successful way to negotiate. if he cant see that the iconic hines ward wasnt able to pull crap like this, what makes him think it would work for him?
the agent works for wallace, not the other way around. all wallce has to do is say he wants to sign it and negotiate like its been done in the past. the steelers have a history of taking care of their players that have it coming and go about it correctly.

Iron Shiek
07-26-2012, 10:03 AM

I'm sure you hold Hines Ward in high regard as many other Steeler fans do. You realize he basically did this same thing a couple times...I doubt you "hate" him as much as you are claiming to "dis-own" Wallace as a Steeler. Its a business, this stuff happens. Greedy or not, the NFL is set up in a way for this kind of thing to happen. In no circumstance do I expect it to drag late into the pre-season. Just take a deep breath and lay off the news for a day or two...

RuthlessBurgher
07-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Hines had 2 years left on a contract when he didn't show up...that is the definition of a hold out.

Wallace is not currently signed, and therefore is not in camp. You can't just show up to a training camp and grab a helmet if you are not signed to an NFL contract. I'm not signed either, so I'm not in camp right now. At this point, without a signed contract, Mike Wallace is no more a Steeler than I am. He is not a hold out...he is a restricted free agent without a signed contract. Folks may think this is just a semantic argument, but there is a pretty large difference there...Hines was not living up to the contract terms that he agreed to, whereas Wallace hasn't agreed to any contract terms at all at this point.

squidkid
07-26-2012, 10:46 AM
I'm sure you hold Hines Ward in high regard as many other Steeler fans do. You realize he basically did this same thing a couple times...I doubt you "hate" him as much as you are claiming to "dis-own" Wallace as a Steeler. Its a business, this stuff happens. Greedy or not, the NFL is set up in a way for this kind of thing to happen. In no circumstance do I expect it to drag late into the pre-season. Just take a deep breath and lay off the news for a day or two...

i like hines, but at the time he was pulling his crap i thought the same about him.

grotonsteel
07-26-2012, 10:48 AM
I am not worried about this hold-out. Mike Wallace will be a long-term Steelers if Steelers FO wants him to be a Steelers.

Looking at what Mike Tomlin and few players are saying i think Mike Wallace will show up in training camp and sign a long term deal with Steelers.

Steelgal
07-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Let's see how Wallace reacts if Sanders or Rainey start having a great camp. He's probably thinking the Steelers won't be as good of a team without him and maybe he's right. But if a few other receivers start stepping up their game, it could put pressure on him to get to camp and start talks up again.

aggiebones
07-26-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm not sure why everyone is up in arms. Lots of grandstanding at this point. The sides are...close and it will get done. I think the Steelers are willing to give the last little bump he is asking for, but not until WALLACE shows some good faith by showing up to Training Camp. The Steelers didn't reduce the extension offer when they could have, showing a sign of good faith. Its time Wallce does SOMETHING.

feltdizz
07-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Let's see how Wallace reacts if Sanders or Rainey start having a great camp. He's probably thinking the Steelers won't be as good of a team without him and maybe he's right. But if a few other receivers start stepping up their game, it could put pressure on him to get to camp and start talks up again.

Wallace is well aware of other WR's stepping up their game on this team... he is just doing business the best way he see's fit.

Oviedo
07-26-2012, 12:44 PM
I am not worried about this hold-out. Mike Wallace will be a long-term Steelers if Steelers FO wants him to be a Steelers.

Looking at what Mike Tomlin and few players are saying i think Mike Wallace will show up in training camp and sign a long term deal with Steelers.

I would slightly modify what you said, "Mike Wallace will be a long-term Steelers if Steelers FO wants him to be a Steelers on the Steelers' terms". As it should be. It's about the whole team not one player try to play keep up with his peers.

dreegking
07-26-2012, 01:48 PM
He'll learn the hard way, like Hines did.

Hines should give him a call and tell him how to do things and that the Steelers never allow themselves to be held over the barrel.

This does not have to be a two week mess. What does Wallace mean when he says he'll shw when he has to show? Didn't that mean yesterday? Or, in his head, does that mean prior to game one?

He's def gonna learn the hard way. He can sit the whole season and miss his 2.75 million. I hope he has saved his pennies.

hawaiiansteel
07-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Ed: Wallace Takes a No-Win Position

THURSDAY, 26 JULY 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good morning,

Perhaps Mike Wallace merely wants to make a statement, so he did not show up on time. Maybe he will report, say, by Friday, when they put the pads on for the first time.

Or maybe he really plans to hold out for awhile. If his goal is to force the Steelers to give in and give him what he wants, he needs to read up on a little bit of their history in these matters. Or, I can just tell him right now.

The Steelers don’t blink in these matters. I’ve seen them give players too much in contracts, more money than they would have liked to give, but they do not budge when a player tries to put them over a barrel like this. Holdout? Call Mike Merriweather. He was their best defensive player when he held out in 1988 with one year left on his contract.

As the Steelers have done with Wallace, they stopped negotiating and told him they would resume once he reported. He never did. He held out the entire season, and it turned into one of the worst in the era that began with Chuck Noll. They went 5-11. But they never panicked, even if they thought Merriweather would help them improve if only they gave him the contract he wanted. He held out the entire season. Just before the draft, the traded him to Minnesota for a first-round pick.

Franco Harris held out too. They cut him. Hines Ward held out for two weeks, they shut down negotiations with him until he returned. Jack Lambert held out in one training camp.

So, understand, holding out yields nothing. The Steelers take a long view on these matters. If they give in to Wallace, it sets a precedent. Maybe Antonio Brown and/or Emmanuel Sanders tries it next year. Or, one day, Ben Roethlisberger. These aren’t the Jacksonville Jaguars. They have a history in these matters, it is consistent and, so are those making the decisions. Dan Rooney, by the way, is back from Ireland for a few weeks. He’s the one who cut Franco.

Now, if Wallace’s plan is to stay away for a few weeks as Ward did in 2005 and then report and try to get a deal, fine. But he will have lost two weeks of negotiations and also two weeks of learning Todd Haley’s new offense. There’s little to gain there either.

The final goal by Wallace could be to hold out until there are six games left, sign the one-year tender (losing nearly $1.9 million of the $2.742 million he could have earned for an entire year) and finish out the season. Those minimum of six games will count 2012 as a year toward free agency and allow Wallace to become an unrestricted free agent in 2013.

That’s a rather large gamble, particularly after Wallace’s swoon in the second half of last season, when his attitude also turned sour – something the Steelers have noted, by the way. What team might fork over Larry Fitzgerald money for a receiver who has done little in 1 ½ seasons? Maybe there is someone out there. Maybe they’ve already promised him they will give him big money next year, which could be driving Wallace’s holdout for a top deal.

There’s nothing wrong with a player witholding services. The team cannot fine him and they have such short careers that they should maximize their potential earnings with whatever tools are available to them.

But in this case, the path to that goal for Wallace is not the one he’s taking.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117352-ed-wallace-takea-a-no-win-position

flippy
07-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Hines had 2 years left on a contract when he didn't show up...that is the definition of a hold out.

Wallace is not currently signed, and therefore is not in camp. You can't just show up to a training camp and grab a helmet if you are not signed to an NFL contract. I'm not signed either, so I'm not in camp right now. At this point, without a signed contract, Mike Wallace is no more a Steeler than I am. He is not a hold out...he is a restricted free agent without a signed contract. Folks may think this is just a semantic argument, but there is a pretty large difference there...Hines was not living up to the contract terms that he agreed to, whereas Wallace hasn't agreed to any contract terms at all at this point.

Hines also picked his battle and held out when the Steelers had no other serviceable WRs to work with. Wallace may be a lot better than Ward, but he doesn't have that leverage.

Oviedo
07-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Hines also picked his battle and held out when the Steelers had no other serviceable WRs to work with. Wallace may be a lot better than Ward, but he doesn't have that leverage.

That is the point I've been making. Wallace may be playing right into Antonio Brown and Manny Sanders hands. He may be earning them not him big contract extensions because they may be able to be had combined for what he wants by himself.

Dee Dub
07-26-2012, 03:01 PM

I always like how fans are so quick to take the hard line on these type of situations. If it were you an athlete playing a violent game that at any time your career could be over due to injury and you know that regardless of injury your career will be over before you are 40, wouldn't you want some kind of security?

Oviedo
07-26-2012, 03:08 PM
I always like how fans are so quick to take the hard line on these type of situations. If it were you an athlete playing a violent game that at any time your career could be over due to injury and you know that regardless of injury your career will be over before you are 40, wouldn't you want some kind of security?

The whole "I'm afraid of injury" BS is well...BS. He is afraid to get hurt but once he gets the money he doesn't mind getting hurt because that's the team's problem not his. Great perspective on being part of a team.

Every player in camp right now could get a career ending injury at any time. Many of them making way less than $2.7M. I guess Wallace just thinks he's a little more "special" than any of them.

squidkid
07-26-2012, 03:17 PM

why do these guys play college football then?

damn it, the steelers really should have reduced that tender.

Decleater
07-26-2012, 03:51 PM
The whole "I'm afraid of injury" BS is well...BS. He is afraid to get hurt but once he gets the money he doesn't mind getting hurt because that's the team's problem not his. Great perspective on being part of a team.

Every player in camp right now could get a career ending injury at any time. Many of them making way less than $2.7M. I guess Wallace just thinks he's a little more "special" than any of them.I'm tired of the Wallace 'thang'! If Da Kid won't sign on the dotted line and get to TC he just might need a good old decleater to get him out of his funk-- kind of like when you slap an old radio upside the plastic to get it working right again. James? You busy tonight?

RuthlessBurgher
07-26-2012, 04:03 PM

Every player in camp right now could get a career ending injury at any time. Many of them making way less than $2.7M. I guess Wallace just thinks he's a little more "special" than any of them.

If you don't think that Wallace is a little more "special" than most, I don't know what games you are watching. Special players get paid. Wallace is a special player. Period.

The people making less than $2.7 million are either role players or still on their rookie contract.

A 32 year old Larry "Slow-A-" Foote will make more than Wallace's RFA tender this year (he's due $3 million in base salary). Foote's $1.8 million signing bonus on the three-year, $9.3 million contract he signed a couple of seasons ago is more than Wallace made in his 3 NFL seasons combined ($1.74 million). You don't think his 171 catches for 3206 yards and 24 touchdowns are worth more than Larry Foote?

Oviedo
07-26-2012, 04:14 PM
If you don't think that Wallace is a little more "special" than most, I don't know what games you are watching. Special players get paid. Wallace is a special player. Period.

The people making less than $2.7 million are either role players or still on their rookie contract.

A 32 year old Larry "Slow-A-" Foote will make more than Wallace's RFA tender this year (he's due $3 million in base salary). Foote's $1.8 million signing bonus on the three-year, $9.3 million contract he signed a couple of seasons ago is more than Wallace made in his 3 NFL seasons combined ($1.74 million). You don't think his 171 catches for 3206 yards and 24 touchdowns are worth more than Larry Foote?

I don't think that Wallace is "special" compared to other NFL WRs. he excels at one thing...running really fast. As far as other WR skills he probably ranks third when compared to Brown, Sander and Cotchery.

The issue isn't not wanting Wallace or not wanting him to get a decent contract (good for team too). The issue is Wallace not being where he should be. The Steelers made it clear---Not at camp = no talk contract. It has always been that way. So Wallace either thinks the Steelers are going to change how they do buisness for him or he is just plain stupid.

squidkid
07-26-2012, 04:19 PM

c'mon ruth, we could find situations like this all day.
how much did foote make his first 3 years?
i can ask you if you think it would be wise fore the steelers to give wallace 20 million per year for the next 10 years because 'he has better number after 3 seasons than rice'
of course he is worth more than foote. how much more and is it possible to pay him that much based on our cap situation and how it will effect the team down the road is the question.
i dont get the 'just pay the man whatever he wants' mentality. especially from a steelers message board where this team's philosophy has been so successful for so long.

fezziwig
07-26-2012, 04:19 PM
I'm along with what many of you believe to be true. Wallace is not doing himself any favors by not being in camp and the Steelers will not consider his request as long as he is out of camp. I'm glad the Steelers hold true to that because it really snuffs out the drama and hype and allows the team to possibly focus better. If this is how it is and we don't see Wallace this season or ever in a Steeler uniform then, so be it. We won before him, with him and we will win when he is no longer here. Would I like for him to be on the team, signed to a fair contract ? You bet ya but, I'm not worring about something that I can't control. I'm more worried about James Harrison, Hampton having a healthy productive season to. We have excellent receivers on our team and if Wallace or the Steelers can't make it work then, our other guys will step up. By no means do I want the front office to give into Wallace because it opens a can of worms for the future with other players. Is it the agents fault or Wallaces ? I think it's both. If the agent believes he can handle things with the Steelers and go against their grain then, he's a fool. If the agent wants Wallace in camp and can't get Wallace to agree then, he isn't doing his job in Wallaces favor either. If Wallace is the stubborn one or he's placing all his faith in his agent then, Wallace is in for a suprise too.
I'm going to try to enjoy the positives about training camp and back the players that are here.

Oviedo
07-26-2012, 04:30 PM
I'm along with what many of you believe to be true. Wallace is not doing himself any favors by not being in camp and the Steelers will not consider his request as long as he is out of camp. I'm glad the Steelers hold true to that because it really snuffs out the drama and hype and allows the team to possibly focus better. If this is how it is and we don't see Wallace this season or ever in a Steeler uniform then, so be it. We won before him, with him and we will win when he is no longer here. Would I like for him to be on the team, signed to a fair contract ? You bet ya but, I'm not worring about something that I can't control. I'm more worried about James Harrison, Hampton having a healthy productive season to. We have excellent receivers on our team and if Wallace or the Steelers can't make it work then, our other guys will step up. By no means do I want the front office to give into Wallace because it opens a can of worms for the future with other players. Is it the agents fault or Wallaces ? I think it's both. If the agent believes he can handle things with the Steelers and go against their grain then, he's a fool. If the agent wants Wallace in camp and can't get Wallace to agree then, he isn't doing his job in Wallaces favor either. If Wallace is the stubborn one or he's placing all his faith in his agent then, Wallace is in for a suprise too.
I'm going to try to enjoy the positives about training camp and back the players that are here.

The agent works for Wallace. I don't buy the "it's the agent" not the player argument. Players can try to hide behind their agents but the player is the employer and the agent is the employee. What is happening is happening because Wallace is allowing it to happen...PERIOD.

RuthlessBurgher
07-26-2012, 04:30 PM
i dont get the 'just pay the man whatever he wants' mentality.

Who here ever said 'just pay the man whatever he wants'? That's almost as bad as saying we should have reduced his tender and if he doesn't sign it then "f" him.

AngryAsian
07-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Though I find myself often agreeing with my bearded friend Ruthless, I will have to say that I think that though Wallace has special speed...he is not a special player. He does possess above average hands, IMHO, he has glaring weaknesses in his game (not the greatest route runner and poor skills in getting possession from DBs especially when the ball is not delivered into his breadbasket). For these reasons I do not think that he deserves LF money (hell, I don't think LF should be getting the paycheck he's collecting). With that said, I know that once defenses had to game plan against Wallace's deep threat potential, often demanding a double team....I know this opened things up significantly for Antonio Brown and all the underneath catches he made last year. Wallace is a necessary element to our success this year.... but not worth the number he's requesting he be paid for his services.

Oviedo
07-26-2012, 04:33 PM
Though I find myself often agreeing with my bearded friend Ruthless, I will have to say that I think that though Wallace has special speed...he is not a special player. He does possess above average hands, IMHO, he has glaring weaknesses in his game (not the greatest route runner and poor skills in getting possession from DBs especially when the ball is not delivered into his breadbasket). For these reasons I do not think that he deserves LF money (hell, I don't think LF should be getting the paycheck he's collecting). With that said, I know that once defenses had to game plan against Wallace's deep threat potential, often demanding a double team....I know this opened things up significantly for Antonio Brown and all the underneath catches he made last year. Wallace is a necessary element to our success this year.... but not worth the number he's requesting he be paid for his services.

Like I said. Thanks for making a guest appearance to do that:D

AngryAsian
07-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Well I'm hoping to be more visible now that the season is upon us. I've had a very demanding work schedule resently as my male dancing career has taken off since this Magic Mike movie has given our industry a big lift. :p

hawaiiansteel
07-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Well I'm hoping to be more visible now that the season is upon us. I've had a very demanding work schedule resently as my male dancing career has taken off

hope the guys are giving you big tips.:p

sorry, couldn't help myself....:-D

Sugar
07-26-2012, 05:37 PM

Do you have inside info as to how much Wallace wants? I didn't think what either side wanted was leaked.

Oviedo
07-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Well I'm hoping to be more visible now that the season is upon us. I've had a very demanding work schedule resently as my male dancing career has taken off since this Magic Mike movie has given our industry a big lift. :p

I just vomited a little bit in my mouth!!!!!!

Slapstick
07-26-2012, 06:22 PM

Wallace won't get anything until he reports...that's just the way that the Steelers work and it won't change for Mike Wallace...

I want Wallace to report so that negotiations can start again...he's cutting into his own negotiationg window...

RuthlessBurgher
07-26-2012, 06:50 PM
I don't think Wallace is worth a Fitzgerald contract either, but I don't begrudge the guy if he used that as a "shoot for the stars" opening to the negotiation process (and none of us even know if that was the case...Wallace's only actual comment when asked about Fitzesque demands was "don't believe everything you hear").

If you recall, Ray Rice stated early in his negotiations that he would like an Adrian Peterson sized contract (wouldn't we all?). $100 million contracts for RB's like Peterson and WR's like Fitzgerald (regardless of how good those players are) are ridiculous in a salary cap environment (at this time, $100 million contracts are only worth giving to QB's who are capable of leading teams to Super Bowls). Rice ultimately received essentially half the contract that Peterson got (after all, the Ravens have a smart front office that fields a perennial contender, unlike the Vikings and Cardinals). I expect Wallace to end up something very similar to Rice (after all, the Steelers also have a smart front office that fields a perennial contender, unlike the Vikings and Cardinals).

SanAntonioSteelerFan
07-26-2012, 06:59 PM
Well, I think in this year of a new OC, new playbook, and all that entails, that Wallace's no show is hurting the team. So I'm P.O.'d at him.

I don't know if his agent or anyone else agrees with me, but I think his best chance for the most money next year would be if the Steelers do really well this year. So, I think he's shooting himself in the foot also, by not coming in and learning the playbook with the other guys. There's a bonding in there that he'll be missing.

fezziwig
07-26-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm with the opinion that no one can deny the guy is fast and he has decent hands but, I don't think he is another Larry Fitzgerald either. Maybe he will be the ultimate weapon sometime down the road but I just wouldn't break the bank for him to keep him on the team. I guess it's a moot point because, he'll never get what he wants as long as he's not in trainng camp.

hawaiiansteel
07-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Steelers Suspend Contract Negotiations With WR Mike Wallace

by Neal Coolong on Jul 25, 2012

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4794635/GYI0063176489.jpg

It came as expected.

Steelers WR Mike Wallace wanted a long-term extension, and said he wasn't going to play for his $2.7 million tender offer from the team in restricted free agency.

The Steelers said they'd negotiate in good faith, provided Wallace signs his tender and participates in training camp.

Neither of those things appear to be happening today, as multiple sources are reporting Wallace has not signed either his tender or an extension, and he is not participating in today's conditioning test.

Let the stalemate begin.

There are a few scenarios that could play out of this. Wallace could sign his tender, get into camp and allow negotiations to continue. He could not sign it, and likely see the Steelers continue their lack of negotiation on a long-term deal. He could sign it and both sides could come to agreement on a long-term deal.

At this point, it's anyone's guess, but it's officially the time to begin viewing this team without its leading receiver until further notice.

That could last straight through Week 10, the last time Wallace can sign his tender, report to the team and still be credited with a season toward unrestricted free agency, which Wallace is set to hit next season.

We could go on, but at least now it's official, Wallace is not at training camp, and is a confirmed holdout.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/7/25/3187134/steelers-suspend-contract-negotiations-with-wr-mike-wallace

hawaiiansteel
07-26-2012, 09:17 PM
Ed: Wallace, Not Agent, Calling the Shots

THURSDAY, 26 JULY 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Don’t blame the agent for Mike Wallace’s holdout. Bus Cook isn’t driving this bus, Mike Wallace is. That’s what I’ve been told, that Wallace and not his agent is calling the shots on this one. Often, a player takes the advice of his agent on how to proceed, whether to attend spring practices, hold out from them, report to camp, etc. Wallace, though, is telling the agent what he wants to do and what kind of money he wants. Cook has not been returning reporters’ phone calls and I don’t think I’ve seen him quoted anywhere during this entire negotiating process. Wallace also has kept a low profile, writing sporadically about other things on twitter but his situation with the Steelers. Kevin Colbert today said he’s been talking to both Cook and Wallace, and today Colbert stated publicly what I wrote yesterday – the Steelers have suspended negotiations and taken their last best offer from the table.

Here’s Colbert: “We’ve chosen to not progress with negotiations at this point. Once we made that decision, now we’re in a different mode. We’ll have to address any new negotiations if we get to that point.” Colbert stated that Wallace now will have to sign the one-year tender of $2.7 million before they will resume negotiations on a multiple-year deal. “Him not being here, really we have to focus on what we can control because we can’t control that. Again, every negtiation is unique, you put your best foot forward, if it’s not suitable for both parties, you have to adjust and we’re really in adjust-move-forward-mode right now.”

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117357-ed-wallace-not-agent-calling-the-shots

Oviedo
07-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Well, I think in this year of a new OC, new playbook, and all that entails, that Wallace's no show is hurting the team. So I'm P.O.'d at him.

I don't know if his agent or anyone else agrees with me, but I think his best chance for the most money next year would be if the Steelers do really well this year. So, I think he's shooting himself in the foot also, by not coming in and learning the playbook with the other guys. There's a bonding in there that he'll be missing.

Like he said!!!!!

Wallace is really playing this about as wrong as he possibly could. Tweaking the nose of the Steelers will not get him the best result. They made it easy for him: Show up and we keep talking; don't show up and we are done. Can't be any more stupid than Wallace has been.

BURGH86STEEL
07-27-2012, 01:06 AM

Wallace isn't going to get paid based on how well the team does. Wallace already has an entire body of work that proves what he can do on the field. There are 31 other teams in the league. It only takes one team to offer Wallace a deal he is seeking.
I don't envision a scenario where the Steelers attempt to keep Wallace in the future if he doesn't like the contract the organization offered. There's no point in keeping a player on the team that isn't happy about his contract situation.

If they can't reach an agreement, both parties will eventually move on.

BURGH86STEEL
07-27-2012, 01:11 AM
Like he said!!!!!

Wallace is really playing this about as wrong as he possibly could. Tweaking the nose of the Steelers will not get him the best result. They made it easy for him: Show up and we keep talking; don't show up and we are done. Can't be any more stupid than Wallace has been.

How smart would it be if Wallace signs the tender, shows up, and blows out a knee? It's happened to players in the past. Do you believe it would be smart for the organization to resign Wallace to a large contract if he blows out a knee? This is the reality of the situation that Wallace faces.

hawaiiansteel
07-27-2012, 03:11 AM
Cook: Big Ben should talk to holdout

July 27, 2012
By Ron Cook / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bet you anything there isn't one Steelers player who holds it against Mike Wallace for not being at training camp. Players know better than anyone that the NFL is a cold, cruel, ugly business. Wallace's contract issue today could be theirs next July. They want to see Wallace get every dollar he can. They're going to want theirs when the time comes.

But that doesn't mean that one of Wallace's teammates -- that would be you, Big Ben -- shouldn't intervene and tell him he's going about this contract thing all wrong. The Steelers have all the leverage. Wallace has none. He can't win by staying away from camp. He can't make the really big money unless he plays this season for the Steelers. They no longer will negotiate a long-term contract with him unless he gets to camp. He has to sign his one-year franchise tender for $2,742,000, report to work at Saint Vincent College and allow his people and their people to get back to work on the contract business.

Where's Jerome Bettis when you need him?

It was Bettis who stepped up for Hines Ward when Ward faced a similar contract dilemma with the Steelers and missed a lot of camp before the 2005 season. Ward idolized Bettis to the point that, if Bettis told him to jump off the Clemente Bridge, he probably would. You might remember Ward crying like a baby after the Steelers lost to New England in the AFC championship game after the '04 season because he thought Bettis was going to retire without getting to a Super Bowl.

Bettis, who ended up sticking around for the '05 season, told Ward to step back from his agent, Eugene Parker, and Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert and lead negotiator Omar Khan and go directly to coach Bill Cowher. Ward immediately made the telephone call. Cowher professed his love for Ward as a player and made it clear how much he valued having him on the team.

"For me, I needed to hear that from my head coach," Ward said the next day after reporting to camp and ending his 15-day holdout. Colbert and Khan quickly resumed contract talks with Parker and worked out a new, lucrative deal with Ward before the season. Ward helped lead the team to a win in Super Bowl XL and was named the game's MVP.

Maybe it will work out just as well for Wallace and the Steelers.

It's a nice thought, right?

Ben Roethlisberger is the best person to call Wallace. Maybe it would have been James Farrior -- like Bettis, one of the best leaders in Steelers history -- but the team released him after last season. That's the ugly business side of pro football.

Roethlisberger made it clear Thursday how much he treasures having Wallace as a teammate. Why not? The two have made beautiful music together during Wallace's three years in the league. Every quarterback wants a receiver with Wallace's incredible speed. They all love having a home-run hitter to get behind the defensive backs and catch the football.

"Mike is a great friend and teammate," Roethlisberger said. "We'd love to have him here. He helps this team so much. I hope he gets here. I hope he gets here soon."

It isn't hard to imagine coach Mike Tomlin giving Wallace the same love if Wallace called him. No, Tomlin isn't happy that Wallace isn't in camp. This is different than when Wallace missed the organized team activities and minicamp this spring. Tomlin wants him at Saint Vincent to learn new offensive coordinator Todd Haley's offense and to get on the same page again with Roethlisberger. He made perfect sense when he talked Wednesday of how no one -- including himself -- is bigger than the team. Of course, that was easy for him to say after he agreed earlier in the week to a contract extension through 2016 that set him and his family up for life.

But Tomlin and especially Colbert have often said publicly they want to keep Wallace for a long time. "We want Mike to finish his career with the Steelers," Colbert has said. "We're going to do everything we can. We think he's only scratched the surface of what he can do."

When the Steelers really want a player, they almost always get him. But a long-term deal with Wallace can't happen until he signs the one-year tender and gets to Latrobe. If he thinks the Steelers are going to blink, he's badly mistaken. They never blink when it comes to contracts. They didn't blink with Ward, didn't blink in 1988 with All-Pro Mike Merriweather, who sat out the season, didn't even blink in '84 with Hall of Famer Franco Harris, who was released. There's no way they blink with Wallace.

Let's review:

Roethlisberger needs to call Wallace. Wallace needs to call Tomlin. Wallace needs to get to camp.

The two sides need to work out a long-term deal.

Today isn't soon enough to get started.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/cook-big-ben-should-talk-to-holdout-646425/#ixzz21nRuM6NF

yossarian
07-27-2012, 05:50 AM
How smart would it be if Wallace signs the tender, shows up, and blows out a knee? It's happened to players in the past. Do you believe it would be smart for the organization to resign Wallace to a large contract if he blows out a knee? This is the reality of the situation that Wallace faces.

First, he simply does not have the option of negotiating while sitting out. So why try to justify his hold-out as just a precaution until he gets his big contract?

Second, "fear of injury" and "getting as much money as possible" don't really go together. In fact, showing any fear of injury UNDERMINES Mike's bargaining position. The best way for Mike to get as much money as possible is to prove to the Steelers that (a) he is in great shape and doing everything possible (training, studying the offense, participating in all sessions) to set himself up for a big year and (b) if he does not get the amount he wants, he is not afraid to play out this year for the RFA amount (risking any injury that could occur over the course of all those games and practices) and hit the market next year. You get the best offer in a single-shot negotiation when you indicate you are willing to walk away or take the alternative.

Now maybe Mike dislikes risk and would prefer to reach a long-term deal quickly to avoid getting injured while practicing under the RFA amount; but then he should have been able to get the deal done before or at the start of training camp. And it necessarily would have been for less money than he would get by hanging in there for a few weeks during camp, because there is a trade-off between impatience/risk aversion and drawing out the best offer.

Hardly anyone questions Mike's interest in getting as much money as possible (given his own risk preferences); people are simply questioning his tactics.

Oviedo
07-27-2012, 07:47 AM
First, he simply does not have the option of negotiating while sitting out. So why try to justify his hold-out as just a precaution until he gets his big contract?

Second, "fear of injury" and "getting as much money as possible" don't really go together. In fact, showing any fear of injury UNDERMINES Mike's bargaining position. The best way for Mike to get as much money as possible is to prove to the Steelers that (a) he is in great shape and doing everything possible (training, studying the offense, participating in all sessions) to set himself up for a big year and (b) if he does not get the amount he wants, he is not afraid to play out this year for the RFA amount (risking any injury that could occur over the course of all those games and practices) and hit the market next year. You get the best offer in a single-shot negotiation when you indicate you are willing to walk away or take the alternative.

Now maybe Mike dislikes risk and would prefer to reach a long-term deal quickly to avoid getting injured while practicing under the RFA amount; but then he should have been able to get the deal done before or at the start of training camp. And it necessarily would have been for less money than he would get by hanging in there for a few weeks during camp, because there is a trade-off between impatience/risk aversion and drawing out the best offer.

Hardly anyone questions Mike's interest in getting as much money as possible (given his own risk preferences); people are simply questioning his tactics.

About the best first post I have ever read on this board. Welcome!

BURGH86STEEL
07-27-2012, 09:15 AM
wallace will get eventually get paid with the steelers or another team. there are 31 other teams in the league that could pay wallce more then the steelers offered. there is a correlation between injury and the risk of injury and earning potential. there are precedences for wallaces tactics. those tactics didnt seem to hurt other players earning potential. injuries hurt other players earning potential more then anyother factor. the opportunity to earn maximum amount of money possible vanishes with injury.

imo, theres nothing wrong with his tactics. its his livihood on the line.

squidkid
07-27-2012, 09:48 AM
wallace will get eventually get paid with the steelers or another team. there are 31 other teams in the league that could pay wallce more then the steelers offered. there is a correlation between injury and the risk of injury and earning potential. there are precedences for wallaces tactics. those tactics didnt seem to hurt other players earning potential. injuries hurt other players earning potential more then anyother factor. the opportunity to earn maximum amount of money possible vanishes with injury.

how much did the steelers offer?

Slapstick
07-27-2012, 09:52 AM

This is garbage.

If Wallace wants a big contract, he should be concentrating on balling like there is no tomorrow...

Look at Matt Forte:

His position (RB) is considered less than critical. Last season, he contemplated a holdout but instead came to camp and played for the Bears like his hair was on fire. Close to the end of the season, he suffered a knee injury.

Less than two weeks ago, Forte signed a contract with the Bears with $18 million in guaranteed money.

His earning potential was just fine. despite the injury.

Oviedo
07-27-2012, 11:00 AM
The risk of injury excuse is BS. Is that why he performance dropped off in the latter part of last season? Was he already worrying about getting hurt and hurting his "big payday?" Or is it that Wallace realizes better than anyone that he is in fact a "one trick pony" and an injury that took away his speed even a little bit would illustrate how lacking he is in other WR skills?

If Wallace is that afraid of being hurt by his own teammate in camp, I would question his value and commitment so trade him now and get someone who isn't afraid.

Flasteel
07-27-2012, 11:44 AM

First of all, you have no idea what the Steelers offered Wallace, nor do you know what 31 other teams would give him.

Secondly, you and a few others on this board don't seem to understand the fact that Wallace is hurting his chances of a big payday by staying away. I agree with Ovi that the post by yossarian was spot-on, so there is no need to restate it.

RuthlessBurgher
07-27-2012, 12:26 PM
If Wallace is that afraid of being hurt by his own teammate in camp

Someone should tell Wallace that Anthony Smith retired from the NFL last week. :p

Ghost
07-27-2012, 01:25 PM
It's Friday. Camp opened Wednesday. Enough is enouogh. Cut this lazy piece of @#$%. Never stretched out for the ball anyway.... (too soon? )

BURGH86STEEL
07-27-2012, 01:53 PM
First of all, you have no idea what the Steelers offered Wallace, nor do you know what 31 other teams would give him.

Secondly, you and a few others on this board don't seem to understand the fact that Wallace is hurting his chances of a big payday by staying away. I agree with Ovi that the post by yossarian was spot-on, so there is no need to restate it.
i never suggested that i knew what the steelers offered. however, there are 31 other teams in the league. it only takes one team to pony up the cash. like it or not wallace will eventually get paid regardless of holding out.

the fact that other players received big pays after holding out suggests wallace isnt hurting his chances.

hawaiiansteel
07-27-2012, 02:14 PM
Colbert: Steelers will not talk without Wallace in camp

By Alan Robinson
Published: Thursday, July 26, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=drfUZ fgipEJ5CFt5DuinRc$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYvMRQhceekCkGd dVYSW9YCOWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

The Steelers’ practice Thursday was closed to the public but open to wide receiver Mike Wallace, as long as he ended his one-day holdout and signed his tender offer.

He didn’t. So, on a rare day at St. Vincent College in which the Steelers practiced without spectators, they also worked without their big-play wide receiver.

General manager Kevin Colbert emphasized the team won’t budge from its long-standing position of not negotiating with a player when he is out of camp.

“Every negotiation is unique, you put your best foot forward and hope to come to an agreement, and it takes two parties to reach an agreement,” Colbert said. “Obviously, we’re not at that stage, and we’ve chosen to not progress with negotiations at this point.”

He added, “That’s been the Steelers’ policy forever.”

In the past, players such as Franco Harris, Jack Lambert, Mike Merriweather and, more recently, Hines Ward held out. The Steelers refused to change their way of doing business for any player, even Merriweather, their 1987 MVP who ended up holding out for the entire 1988 season and never played for them again. Ward signed a new deal in 2005 only after ending his holdout.

This situation is unique because it is the first time a restricted free agent held out before Steelers camp began. As a result, the Steelers insist they will negotiate a long-term deal only if Wallace reports and signs his $2.742 million tender. And they’re not guaranteeing to match the last offer made to Wallace in advance of camp.

“We’ll have to address any new negotiations if we get to that point,” Colbert said.

Colbert has continued to talk with Wallace and agent Bus Cook, and Steelers negotiator Omar Khan is talking with Cook. Should Wallace sign the tender and report, any new deal that is worked out would circumvent the tender, so his income for this season would not necessarily be limited to that tender offer.

However, these negotiations have been difficult in part because the Steelers don’t know what Wallace they might be getting — the motivated receiver who began last season with three consecutive 100-yard games or the visibly less happy player who had only one more game of more than 82 yards the rest of the season.

“We’re moving on. … Him not being here, really, we’ve got to focus on what we can control, and we can’t control that,” Colbert said.

Wallace cannot be fined for holding out because he is not under contract.

With Wallace absent, Emmanuel Sanders will get more practice reps at the X receiver slot — the position usually filled by a team’s best deep receiving threat. Antonio Brown might also see some practice time there.

“You can’t focus on who isn’t here because you lose track of what you’re supposed to be doing,” Colbert said.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2279544-85/steelers-wallace-colbert-camp-tender-receiver-season-team-deal-mike

Oviedo
07-27-2012, 02:37 PM
The article that "Hawaiian" posted says it all. The Steelers WILL NOT talk until he shows up so all the BS about why he is doing what he is doing is meaningless because it guarantees he fails to accomplish what he says he is trying to do. There is the Steelers way and there is the highway. That hasn't changed since the 70s and it isn't going to change for Mike Wallace.

Wallace needs to get his "I'm afraid to get hurt" a$$ to camp so they can actually restart negotiations and accomplish something. If HE chooses not to do then that shows a whole lot about his commitment so deal with him accordingly.

squidkid
07-27-2012, 04:53 PM
i never suggested that i knew what the steelers offered. however, there are 31 other teams in the league. it only takes one team to pony up the cash. like it or not wallace will eventually get paid regardless of holding out.

the fact that other players received big pays after holding out suggests wallace isnt hurting his chances.

'there are 31 other teams in the league that could pay wallce more then the steelers offered'
how is this not suggesting you knew what was offered?

hawaiiansteel
07-27-2012, 06:25 PM
This Writer To Snoop Dogg: YOU Pay Steelers Mike Wallace

Jul 27th, 2012 by CraigSteelers

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2012/07/425.snoop_.steelers.jpeg?f71ecf

Camp can’t begin soon enough for the NFL, and it isn’t any clearer when one watches NFL Total Access these days. Access’ latest guest was none other than Long Beach’s Calvin Broadus, Jr…. better known as Snoop D-O-Double G. If you didn’t know this already, Snoop’s a huge fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers. He’s been known to hang around players from time to time and has even been snapshotted with Mike Tomlin. Awesome. I actually really like Snoop Dogg – at least when I was in college trying to no look too awkward while dancing next to a couple of girls with a beer in my hand in some frat basement. He’s a cool guy and certainly has garnered an affinity with people young and my age with his music from over the years and random appearances at concerts, etc.

Back to the present topic, Snoop Dogg was on Access to give a little advice to the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Rooney’s regarding (now holdout) Mike Wallace: Pay the man.

‘Hey, Rooney, man get ya’ll things together, pay the man…. I know he ain’t proven, three, four years in the game, but we need him. You tell me somebody else that do what he do. We need him, get it together ya’ll, go and have that conversation and the get the apples and oranges together so we can move on.’

While I appreciate Snoop’s enthusiasm, I think he should leave the business of football to the Colbert & Co. Unless that is of course he’s willing to hand over a large chunk of his own Benjamins to pay Wallace what the Steelers can’t afford. Wallace is not proven as Snoop points out, so why should Wallace get top dollar?

Wallace ranked 11th among receivers in yards last season, yet he wants Top 5 money. The current economic state of the Steelers and the salary cap does not allow for Wallace to even get that Top 5 money.

So I propose this. Rather than calling out the owner of an organization you love, maybe you could help out the team of which you love so much. I propose that Snoop call up Wallace and tell him to sign the tender of $2.7 million. Then, Snoop can work out his own deal with Wallace to pay him the difference of what Wallace would want for that long term deal. Seems fair enough to me – he’s got the money.

Maybe that’s his plan. Maybe if Wallace signs that tender in the next few days somebody should ask him if he’s getting a side deal from anywhere…. or anyone.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/07/27/this-writer-to-snoop-dogg-you-pay-steelers-mike-wallace/

DukieBoy
07-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Just heard that Steelers extended Brownie with a 5 year contract. On 93.7 The Fan online.

DukieBoy
07-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Antonio Brown for 5 yrs 42.5M $$$$. Per ESPN

SteelBucks
07-27-2012, 06:40 PM
I was listening to Tunch and Wolf's radio show this afternoon. They said that Ike Taylor called Wallace and told him that he's in a no-win situation and get to camp. Guess he's not listening.

Meanwhile it looks like the Steelers just locked up Brown long term.

hawaiiansteel
07-27-2012, 07:09 PM
Mark Kaboly‏@MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

If I am Mike Wallace, I dont show Until week 10 now. No use.

http://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/s...84436350386176 (http://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/status/228984436350386176)

DukieBoy
07-27-2012, 07:14 PM
Mark Kaboly‏@MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

If I am Mike Wallace, I dont show Until week 10 now. No use.

http://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/s...84436350386176 (http://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/status/228984436350386176)

​Kaboly is no Mike Wallace.

fezziwig
07-27-2012, 07:36 PM
What the Steelers paid Brown, is that a good deal for Brown the Stelers or both ? 8.5 a year seems great to me but I really don't keep track of the money players/positions get. Also, does this mean the Steelers have their receiver and Wallace doesn't figure into the future ?

BURGH86STEEL
07-27-2012, 07:43 PM
'there are 31 other teams in the league that could pay wallce more then the steelers offered'
how is this not suggesting you knew what was offered?
I didn't suggest that I knew what the Steelers offered Wallace. I suggested that there are 31 teams that could pay Wallace more. Let me rephrase for you. Whatever amount the Steelers offered Wallace, there are 31 teams that could pay him more.

squidkid
07-27-2012, 07:49 PM
I didn't suggest that I knew what the Steelers offered Wallace. I suggested that there are 31 teams that could pay Wallace more. Let me rephrase for you. Whatever amount the Steelers offered Wallace, there are 31 teams that could pay him more.

nice try.
how can you make a statement like that without knowing what the steelers offered and without knowing what every other team in the nfl salary cap situation is?
what if the steelers offered 50 million per year. could all 31 teams afford to pay him 51 million?

Steelgal
07-27-2012, 07:55 PM
I have a question. The way I understand it, since Wallace hasn't signed his tender, he can not be fined for not being at camp/games. If he holds out until week 10, like Vincent Jackson did last year, will he get the full $2.6M salary or would it be prorated to the games he's played? Thanks!

Slapstick
07-27-2012, 07:57 PM
I have a question. The way I understand it, since Wallace hasn't signed his tender, he can not be fined for not being at camp/games. If he holds out until week 10, like Vincent Jackson did last year, will he get the full $2.6M salary or would it be prorated to the games he's played? Thanks!

Pro-rated...

hawaiiansteel
07-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Steelers sign Antonio Brown

Updated: July 27, 2012
ESPN.com news services

Wide receiver Antonio Brown signed a five-year contract extension Friday with the Pittsburgh Steelers. The deal is worth $42.5 million, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Brown, voted Pittsburgh's most valuable player by teammates last season, was entering the final season of the three-year contract he signed when he was drafted out of Central Michigan in 2010. He would have been eligible for restricted free agency after this season.

Brown made the Pro Bowl last season after becoming the first player in NFL history with at least 1,000 receiving yards and at least 1,000 return yards (1,062). He finished second on the team to Mike Wallace with 69 receptions for 1,108 yards.

"He has played a major role in our success over the past two years," Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said, "and we are thrilled he will be a Steeler for many years to come."

Steelers Nation had been eagerly anticipating a long-term extension for one of its young receivers, but it was expected to have been Wallace. The late-day announcement of Brown's deal came as a surprise Friday, less than two hours after the Steelers wrapped up their second day of practice.

A restricted free agent unhappy with the $2.7 million tender the team extended for this season, Wallace did not report to St. Vincent College with the rest of his teammates on Wednesday.

Talks between the team and Wallace have broken off, and the Steelers don't plan to talk contract until the wide receiver reports to camp, a source told ESPN.com senior writer John Clayton on Wednesday.

"I'm looking forward for him to be here, get all hands on deck," Brown said Wednesday, "and get everybody moving in the right direction so we can embark on what we can embark on."

Brown said he speaks with Wallace regularly, but that he has not been pressuring him to report and join his teammates.

"We talk about personal things, but his business is his business," Brown said Thursday. "I'm pretty sure he'll take care of it, and when he gets here, we'll embrace him."

Brown's deal could affect Wallace's ability to cash in. The Steelers are up against the salary cap and -- with the exception of Hines Ward -- have been historically averse to giving big contracts to wide receivers. Two years ago, when Brown and Emmanuel Sanders were rookies, Wallace dubbed the threesome the "Young Money Crew."

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0117/nfl_g_brownsanders_576.jpg

Brown beat Wallace in the race to cash.

The first time Brown touched the ball in an NFL regular season game, he returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown at Tennessee on Sept. 19, 2010. He only dressed for nine regular season games as a rookie, catching 16 passes. The kickoff return was his lone touchdown, while Wallace enjoyed a breakout campaign of 1,257 yards and 10 touchdowns.

But Brown began to emerge during the playoffs, catching three passes for 75 yards in a divisional round win over Baltimore. His 58-yard reception in the final two minutes -- one he secured by holding the ball up against his helmet -- set up the winning touchdown.

Brown entered last season as Pittsburgh's No. 4 receiver but became quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's go-to guy over the second half. Brown had 51 catches for 846 yards over the final 10 games of the season.

"Definitely, I can get better," Brown said at the end of last season. "I continue to get stronger."

Brown will meet the media to discuss the new deal on Saturday.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8207145/source-pittsburgh-steelers-lock-wr-antonio-brown-5-year-425-million-deal

fezziwig
07-27-2012, 11:08 PM
Hawain, nice pics of the three coaches. We must be the only NFL team that have had consecutive coaches (3) to win Super Bowls. That's got to be a trivia question.

hawaiiansteel
07-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Ed: Trading Wallace Best for Both Sides

SATURDAY, 28 JULY 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good morning,

It makes more sense than ever for Mike Wallace to sign his one-year tender, get into training camp and play the entire 2012 season. After all, it is his final dress rehearsal for his next employer for 2013.

The Steelers did more than sign a good, young receiver when Antonio Brown committed to them through the 2017 season. They lowered the kaboom on Wallace. There was little chance they were going to give into Wallace’s contract demands before they signed Brown; there is no chance now.

That doesn’t mean a multiple-year contract is no longer available to Wallace. It very well could be. But the number offered by the Steelers before AB would likely be reduced dramatically, that is if negotiations even resume with Wallace on a multiple-year deal.

A sign-and-trade remains a possibility, but the Steelers do not like to go that route because it might set a precedent for a player or players to force trades similarly in the future. However, a trade technically can happen and the scenario would look like this: The Steelers give another team or teams permission to talk to Wallace to try to work out a deal. If they do, Wallace would sign his one-year tender with the Steelers, who then would trade him to the other team.

What could they get for Wallace at this point? No team apparently was willing to give up a first-round draft choice for him when he was a restricted free agent, so why would they do it now? Santonio Holmes, remember, brought them only a fifth-round pick. I’m guessing with Wallace, it could be a fourth-rounder.

Do you do that trade? I think the Steelers have reached a point that they might. They now view Wallace as a potential distraction – not his holdout, but if he ever ends it. He not only slumped in the second half of last season, but so did his attitude and they would assume if he had to sign the one-year deal and was unable to get a longer deal from the Steelers to his satisfaction, that attitude would not improve this season.

This looked to be the most ill-advised holdout since Franco Harris in 1984, and the fallout from that. However, Harris was at the end of the road and the Steelers were willing to give him one final season – they even put him on the cover of their press guide that year, an honor they almost never do for a player or coach. Wallace is only in his fourth season.

If the Steelers do trade Wallace over the next month or so, the holdout could be seen as a victory for the player because he will have gotten big money, only elsewhere. If that happens, the Steelers will have lost one of the league’s best big-play receivers. However, they really never had a choice because they were never going to pay Wallace the kind of money he wanted and it appears he was not going to accept much less.

I’ve written here and said it on radio and TV since the spring that I thought they never would come to a long-term deal with Wallace, that he would have to sign the one-year tender, play this season and enter free agency next March. I did not think a trade could happen. Wallace could try to encourage a trade by not reporting to training camp, and the Steelers could do nothing and let him sit. But once the season begins, if he continues to hold out, neither side gains anything.

The only good way out of this for both sides would be for the Steelers to trade Mike Wallace.

https://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117381-ed-trading-wallace-best-for-both-sides

steelz09
07-28-2012, 01:39 PM
If the Steelers want to trade Wallace, I would want a current player such as a S or nothing less than a 2nd round pick

hawaiiansteel
07-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Doubts grow that Mike Wallace has a future in Pittsburgh

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 28, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/mikewallace-500x302.jpg?w=250

What does the long-term contract extension for Steelers receiver Antonio Brown mean for the future of the Steelers’ other starting receiver, Mike Wallace?

It may mean Wallace and the Steelers have no future together.

After Brown signed his deal, Steelers beat writer Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette wrote that there won’t be a new deal for Wallace. In other words, the Steelers are telling Wallace that his options are to sign his one-year tender and play this season for $2.7 million, or not to play at all.

If Wallace does sign that one-year tender, he’d become an unrestricted free agent a year from now. At that point, the Steelers could use the franchise tag to keep him, but Bouchette writes that there’s “no way” the Steelers will franchise Wallace. In other words, the Steelers have pretty much resigned themselves to getting one more year out of Wallace, and then letting him move on.

But will they even get another year out of Wallace? Not necessarily, according to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, who writes that the Steelers could trade Wallace in training camp.

That one is harder to picture. First of all, a trade would only happen if there’s a team out there willing both to meet Wallace’s contract demands and to give up compensation that the the Steelers are willing to accept. But if Wallace is really looking for Larry Fitzgerald money, as has been reported, there’s probably not a team out there willing to meet his contract demands. And it’s not clear whether any team is willing to give up the kind of compensation the Steelers would accept: We know no team is going to give up a first-round pick for Wallace because any team could have had him for a first-round pick at any time during the offseason, and no team signed him to an offer sheet. A team might tempt the Steelers with an offer of a second-round pick, but the Steelers could just decide they’d rather have one more year of Wallace’s services, especially considering that the Steelers would get a compensatory pick if Wallace leaves in free agency next year.

In other words, there aren’t many options for Wallace right now. His best bet seems to be signing the tender, having another strong season, and hoping unrestricted free agency goes better for him next year than restricted free agency went for him this year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/28/doubts-grow-that-mike-wallace-has-a-future-in-pittsburgh/

Oviedo
07-28-2012, 01:56 PM
If the Steelers want to trade Wallace, I would want a current player such as a S or nothing less than a 2nd round pick

I agree. We don't need to drag this Wallace nonsense into Week 10. Make him a final offer and if he balk find a trading partner.

squidkid
07-28-2012, 02:11 PM
I agree. We don't need to drag this Wallace nonsense into Week 10. Make him a final offer and if he balk find a trading partner.

i would have to assume the steelers already let wallace and his agent know that this is their final offer and if he chooses not to sign it, or sign the tender and report to camp, that their would be no further talks and the deal would be pulled.
this organization seems to have the track record of doing things the right way and being fair to the players that deserve it. sometimes too loyal. i dont think wallace needs another 'fina' final offer. he had his chance.

RuthlessBurgher
07-28-2012, 02:14 PM
I understand the Steelers not negotiating with Hines until he reported to camp. Hines was under contract but still did not show up to Latrobe, so the team would not negotiate with a player who was in violation of the parameters of his contract.

Same thing with Mike Meriweather...he was under contract, didn't show, negotiations stopped, he sat out a year and was traded.

It makes sense not to negotiate with guys currently under contract who don't show up for camp...you don't want to set that precedent.

But that isn't the case with Mike Wallace. He is not violating his contract by not showing up. He does not have a contract. It's a unique situation and fundamentally different from Ward and Meriweather. Why not continue to work out a contract with a guy who currently does not have a contract?

squidkid
07-28-2012, 02:25 PM
I understand the Steelers not negotiating with Hines until he reported to camp. Hines was under contract but still did not show up to Latrobe, so the team would not negotiate with a player who was in violation of the parameters of his contract.

Same thing with Mike Meriweather...he was under contract, didn't show, negotiations stopped, he sat out a year and was traded.

It makes sense not to negotiate with guys currently under contract who don't show up for camp...you don't want to set that precedent.

But that isn't the case with Mike Wallace. He is not violating his contract by not showing up. He does not have a contract. It's a unique situation and fundamentally different from Ward and Meriweather. Why not continue to work out a contract with a guy who currently does not have a contract?

i would agree if thats what was done in the past but it isnt. everybody knows that. wallace and his agent should not have been surprised by this. wallace doesnt have a contract because he chose not to have one. if the steelers gave wallace their 'best' offer and wallace still chose not to accept it, why should the steelers break tradition and continue to negotiate. a new precedent would be set for players to control the negotiations. players and agents have all offseason to work out contracts, this time should be set aside for the team and preparing for the season, not one individual.

RuthlessBurgher
07-28-2012, 03:41 PM
i would agree if thats what was done in the past but it isnt. everybody knows that. wallace and his agent should not have been surprised by this. wallace doesnt have a contract because he chose not to have one. if the steelers gave wallace their 'best' offer and wallace still chose not to accept it, why should the steelers break tradition and continue to negotiate. a new precedent would be set for players to control the negotiations. players and agents have all offseason to work out contracts, this time should be set aside for the team and preparing for the season, not one individual.

The precedent is not caving in to players who are currently under contract but violate the provisions of that contract by not showing up to camp. Wallace is not violating anything...he is not under contract. He is not a hold out because he is not signed to any deal.

Saying that negotiating with an unsigned Wallace while camp is going on is breaking the past precedent of not negotiating with a signed Ward or a signed Meriweather until they ended their camp holdouts is almost like saying that Colbert and Khan negotiating a deal with Max Starks after week 4 breaks the precedent that the Steelers have to not negotiate contracts after the regular season starts.

The precedents are that the Steelers will not negotiate extensions for anyone under contract who is not in camp, and will not negotiate extensions for anyone at all once the regular season begins. If the Steelers can negotiate with the unsigned unrestricted free agent Max Starks in the midst of the season without that setting a new precedent, they should be able to negotiate with the signed restricted free agent Mike Wallace in the midst of camp without setting a new precedent.

Slapstick
07-28-2012, 03:48 PM
The precedent is not caving in to players who are currently under contract but violate the provisions of that contract by not showing up to camp. Wallace is not violating anything...he is not under contract. He is not a hold out because he is not signed to any deal.

Saying that negotiating with an unsigned Wallace while camp is going on is breaking the past precedent of not negotiating with a signed Ward or a signed Meriweather until they ended their camp holdouts is almost like saying that Colbert and Khan negotiating a deal with Max Starks after week 4 breaks the precedent that the Steelers have to not negotiate contracts after the regular season starts.

The precedents are that the Steelers will not negotiate extensions for anyone under contract who is not in camp, and will not negotiate extensions for anyone at all once the regular season begins. If the Steelers can negotiate with the unsigned unrestricted free agent Max Starks in the midst of the season without that setting a new precedent, they should be able to negotiate with the signed restricted free agent Mike Wallace in the midst of camp without setting a new precedent.

To me (and the Steelers) that's just splitting hairs...

Camp has started and the team is preparing for the season...Mike can't play for anyone else this year, so they expect him to be there...

Oviedo
07-28-2012, 04:22 PM

I think the Steelers are setting a new precedent-"when we tell you we aren't going to talk if you don't show up we mean it!"

Wallace has overplayed his hand and over estimated hi value to the Steelers. There are two options:

1. Wallace comes to camp and the Steelers start to talk again.
2. Wallace stays away and nothing happens.

It's up to Wallace whether #1 or #2 happens.

squidkid
07-28-2012, 05:07 PM

starks was/is a UFA. wallace is a RFA. its not the same. the steelers didnt own the rights to starks or any other UFA that they would be trying to sign.
once again, i am sure the steelers were clear on their intentions well before wallace decided not to sign and show up to camp.
the steelers have been saying for the longest time that wallace was a top priority, that they wanted to sign him long term. they took the high road and didnt reduce his tender when they could have. its is reported that they offered wallace a 10 million a year deal. what else could/should they have done to make this deal happen except possibly give wallace another 2-4 million per year that was reported he wanted earlier?
what has wallace done or said that has lead you to believe that he has tried as hard as the steelers to make it happen?
i'm not sure what you do for a living, but if you are the boss or you are the employee, and a deal was on the table and both parties knew that the deadline to accept the offer was on X day, and X day passed by, why should either side be suprprised and why should the boss extend it?

hawaiiansteel
07-28-2012, 07:37 PM
starks was/is a UFA. wallace is a RFA. its not the same. the steelers didnt own the rights to starks or any other UFA that they would be trying to sign.

I agree, that is the key difference here. Starks was free to sign and play for any other NFL team, Wallace can only play for the Steelers this season as they own his rights.

hawaiiansteel
07-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Steelers camp is anything but quiet

Originally Published: July 28, 2012
By John Clayton | ESPN.com

LATROBE, Pa. -- No training camp opened with the explosions that the Pittsburgh Steelers' did, and it had nothing to do with the storms that circled Latrobe, Pa.

The first lightning bolt came in the morning, when it leaked that Jimmy Haslam, a minority owner, was negotiating to buy Randy Lerner's majority shares of the Cleveland Browns. A Steelers owner buying the Browns? Tweeted one loyal Twitter follower, "haven't the Steelers owned the Browns for years?"

Later that day, Browns president Mike Holmgren confirmed the negotiations and higher-ups in the Steelers organization said the transaction was well along and should happen, pending NFL owners' approval.

In the second bombshell, Antonio Brown potentially aced out Mike Wallace for the franchise's long-term wide receiver deal. Wallace, an unsigned restricted free agent, had turned down the Steelers' $9 million-a-year offer.

Like most teams staring at a tight salary cap for the next several years, the Steelers faced a predicament keeping good young players. Wallace could be an unrestricted free agent next year. Brown and talented receiver Emmanuel Sanders are restricted free agents next year and potential free agents in 2014.

Agent Drew Rosenhaus slipped into town Friday and worked a five-year, $42.5 million deal for Brown. Brown's new $2.24 million cap number doesn't kill Wallace's bid for a long-term deal, but it might make it hard for the Steelers to keep him. By lingering on the Steelers' offer and then holding out, Wallace jeopardized his long-term future in Pittsburgh.

The Steelers are now more than $16 million over next year's cap, which might make it hard to franchise Wallace. Mike Tomlin wants to keep both receivers, but at least the Steelers secured Brown.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp12/story/_/page/claytoncamp120728/nfl-five-observations-pittsburgh-steelers-training-camp

Oviedo
07-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Steelers camp is anything but quiet

Originally Published: July 28, 2012
By John Clayton | ESPN.com

LATROBE, Pa. -- No training camp opened with the explosions that the Pittsburgh Steelers' did, and it had nothing to do with the storms that circled Latrobe, Pa.

The first lightning bolt came in the morning, when it leaked that Jimmy Haslam, a minority owner, was negotiating to buy Randy Lerner's majority shares of the Cleveland Browns. A Steelers owner buying the Browns? Tweeted one loyal Twitter follower, "haven't the Steelers owned the Browns for years?"

Later that day, Browns president Mike Holmgren confirmed the negotiations and higher-ups in the Steelers organization said the transaction was well along and should happen, pending NFL owners' approval.

In the second bombshell, Antonio Brown potentially aced out Mike Wallace for the franchise's long-term wide receiver deal. Wallace, an unsigned restricted free agent, had turned down the Steelers' $9 million-a-year offer.

Like most teams staring at a tight salary cap for the next several years, the Steelers faced a predicament keeping good young players. Wallace could be an unrestricted free agent next year. Brown and talented receiver Emmanuel Sanders are restricted free agents next year and potential free agents in 2014.

Agent Drew Rosenhaus slipped into town Friday and worked a five-year, $42.5 million deal for Brown. Brown's new $2.24 million cap number doesn't kill Wallace's bid for a long-term deal, but it might make it hard for the Steelers to keep him. By lingering on the Steelers' offer and then holding out, Wallace jeopardized his long-term future in Pittsburgh.

The Steelers are now more than $16 million over next year's cap, which might make it hard to franchise Wallace. Mike Tomlin wants to keep both receivers, but at least the Steelers secured Brown.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp12/story/_/page/claytoncamp120728/nfl-five-observations-pittsburgh-steelers-training-camp

"Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"

Brilliant move to secure Brown.

hawaiiansteel
07-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Wallace’s future uncertain after Brown signs big deal

By Alan Robinson
Published: Saturday, July 28, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=JaNNi LLQWZf5RJoy5qjOdc$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYsfFYAKAZ6OZFb RLQeYOzesWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Antonio Brown took the money and ran. Mike Wallace apparently will take what’s left, if there’s any left at all.

Training camp wasn’t even a week old before the Steelers started playing economic hardball, responding to a Wallace holdout that has clearly angered them by giving a big-money deal to Brown, Wallace’s wide receiver running mate.

The Steelers’ surprise move to lock up Brown through 2017 with a $42.5 million contract was a preemptive strike to make sure they don’t go through a potentially distracting holdout with their other starting receiver next season.

General manager Kevin Colbert declined to discuss Wallace’s absence during a Saturday news conference in which Brown related the excitement of being given such a contract after making only two touchdown catches and starting three NFL games.

Coach Mike Tomlin’s update on the Wallace holdout was only one word longer: “None.”

Brown, whose emergence as a downfield threat began about the same time as Wallace’s production began falling off last season, signed for the same money the Redskins gave free agent Pierre Garcon. The difference is Garcon caught 16 touchdown passes while averaging 61 catches per season the last three years with Indianapolis.

“He’s a young guy, and it’s only going to get better the more he plays, we anticipate,” Colbert said. “Antonio is one of our hardest workers, and he’s never going to be satisfied.”

With the Steelers already projected to be $15 million over next year’s salary cap, there are questions whether they could fit in another expensive wide receiver’s contract even if Wallace signs his $2.742 million tender, reports to camp and attempts to reopen contract negotiations. Wallace is believed to want a deal worth at least $50 million.

Wallace still has some options; he can become a free agent even if he plays only the final six regular-season games. The Steelers have options, too; they could deal Wallace under a sign-and-trade scenario in which he signs the tender and is immediately dealt.

None of Wallace’s teammates have complained yet about his absence becoming a distraction.

“The man’s trying to do what’s best for his family, and I’m going to try to support him,” nose tackle Casey Hampton said. “So I’m not going to say what I feel like he should do or anything like that. … But we’d love to have him in camp.”

Brown said, “When Mike gets here, we’ll embrace him.”

Brown is the only receiver in NFL history with 1,000 receiving and 1,000 return yards in a season, but Tomlin doesn’t seem as willing to risk using such an expensive talent as a full-time return man again this season.

“We’ve not closed the door on that, but we are looking at some young, promising guys,” Tomlin said.

What the Steelers still aren’t looking at is Mike Wallace, and no one seems to know when he will return again, either.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2289804-85/wallace-brown-season-steelers-mike-contract-receiver-antonio-deal-million

hawaiiansteel
07-28-2012, 11:37 PM
#17 of Steelers Should View “Merriweather vs. Front Office 1988″ as Valuable Lesson

Jul 28th, 2012 by DomSteelers

Since he has yet to arrive in camp, I have decided to not refer to a certain Wide Receiver on the Steelers by his name anymore. In fact, for as long as his absence continues, this aforementioned pass-catcher will be referred to as #17 in my posts until he decides he would like to either sign his RFA tender, or sign a long-term deal and suit up for the Black & Gold in 2012-2013 or beyond.

New monikers aside, #17 has still yet to report to Latrobe, and was probably further distressed by the fact that the Steelers’ Front Office signed #2 Wide Receiver Antonio Brown to a 5 year $42 million dollar extension. Kudos and a shout-out must go the Front Office for covering their bases and making sure that if #17 continues his hold-out long-term, they will have a way to at least off-set his absence if it occurs.

In the event that #17 continues to harbor a negative attitude about his tender and long-term future with the club, and thus refuses to report until he “has to,” I believe that #17 should consider the example of a former Steelers player Mike Merriweather, and use Merriweather’s hold-out situation in 1988 as a cautionary tale of what could come from his own stubbornness and decision to tango with the Steelers’ Front Office.

Mike Merriweather: What Could Have Been

Let me begin by saying that I only remember Mike Merriweather on the back-end of his career from his days with the Vikings. As the youngest member of the NPC staff, I never got to witness his overall awesomeness of #57 as a player when he suited up for the Black & Gold during the early-mid-1980’s. Yet from the highlights I have seen, the statistics which he put up, and from what my Mom and other older Steelers fans have told me, Merriweather was a terrific talent and considered arguably the most exciting player on the Defensive side of the ball on those mid-80′s teams.

A cat-quick Outside Linebacker, Merriweather was a complete and total play-making and tackling-machine in his prime with the Steelers, and had a nose for the football (11 INT’s, 2 TD’s and 9 FR’s with Black & Gold) to boot. Merriweather could also pressure the Quarterback, and racked up a career-high 15.0 Sacks in 1984, a then-team record, and totaled 30.5 from 1984-1987. For his tremendous efforts, Merriweather made three Pro Bowls during the mid-1980’s in back-to-back-to-back campaigns (1984,1985, 1986) and was rightfully thought of as a cornerstone of the Defense as he approached the prime of his career. Sadly, Merriweather never played a down with the Steelers after 1987.

The beginning of tensions between Merriweather and the Front Office can likely be traced to when Wilber Marshall of the Redskins signed a 6 year $5 million dollar contract around that time period. And after the 1987 season ended (one where he was actually named Team MVP), Merriweather got the idea in his head that he did not like his contract (he was still signed through 1989 at the time), was intent on being paid more ($1 million dollars per season), and thus wanted it renegotiated. Granted, Merriweather’s asking price (over $1 million dollars per year) was nowhere in the ball-park of the type of coin which #17 has his heart-strings set on, but the “more money compared to players at his position” concept is nonetheless similar to #17 who has been thought to want “Larry Fitzgerald money” at this point in his career.

Because Pittsburgh’s Front Office was unwilling to meet his thought to be outrageous demands, the Pro Bowler sat out (he attended a Baptist Theology School during his time away) and was intent on staying away until he got what he wanted in 1988. Unfortunately for Merriweather, who sat out at age 27 and in the prime of his career, and the Steelers alike, #57 never suited up in the Black & Gold again, and each and every party involved was hurt because of it.

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2012/07/vikings.com_.jpg?f71ecf

Aftermath: 1988 and Beyond

In 1988, Pittsburgh finished with their worst record since Chuck Noll took over the team in 1969, and the 5-11 mark from that season remains the most dismal season in franchise history since the 1-13 mark which was dubiously reached by Noll’s first squad. Pittsburgh eventually moved their disgruntled Linebacker in April of 1989 for a 1st Round pick (which they basically threw away when they used it on Guard/Tackle Tom Ricketts who played only three seasons with the team).

Merriweather on the other hand had a decent career in Minnesota, but was hardly considered to be the dominant player he was with Pittsburgh. The Vikings got a decent return on their investment as Merriweather led the team in Tackles in 1990 and 1991 and notched 14 Turnovers (7 INT’s, 7 FR’s), but for the price they paid, especially for an Outside Linebacker in a 4-3 Defense, it was hardly enough.

Merriweather’s glory days as a pass-rusher were behind him as he put up only 10.0 Sacks from ages 29-32, and failed to make a Pro Bowl during his time in the Twin Cities. Worst of all, Minnesota failed to make it past the Divisional Round of the N.F.C. Playoffs despite having one of the Conference’s best Defenses during the late 80′s-early 90′s. Their investment in Merriweather ultimately lasted four seasons, and his career was finished a year later after stints with the Packers and the Jets in 1993.

Even though they lost their best Linebacker at the time, the Steelers eventually came out winners in the situation though because of what they did and what they always have done when they lost top-level talent: they drafted sensibly and developed their young players to fill the hole left by their departed star. As they counted on veterans David Little and Bryan Hinkle on the back-end of their careers to lead the Linebacking corps in the late 1980′s, the Steelers also drafted/developed some talented youngsters named Hardy Nickerson, Greg Lloyd, and Jerrol Williams to offset the loss of their Pro Bowl Linebacker. These moves worked and from 1989 to 1991, the Steelers played decent .500 ball and eventually set themselves up for success down the road in the 1990′s.

Final Thoughts

Management is not the bad guy in the situation #17, they are just the “sensible guy.” If the Front Office really wanted to mess with you, they would have lowered your tender when they had the chance and taken a page from the Mike Brown/Bill Bidwell penny-pinching playbook. Plus, if management really wanted to yank your chain, they would not have publicly stated or made efforts to resign you. C’mon #17, a Front Office which has limited cap space cannot act irrationally and “make it rain” by giving a contract above market value to you like a Jerry Jones or a Dan Snyder would. They are actually interested in resigning you to a long-term deal, and would love to keep you around to continue their wonderful tradition of winning at a price they deem manageable.

I am rooting for your success #17, I really am. I hope that if you come to your senses over the next few weeks and sign the RFA tender (or hopefully work out a long-term deal), you come in like a “bat out of hell” and wipe the floor with your competition this season and either force this Front Office to pay you in 2013, or simply walk away as a UFA while the Front Office receives nothing in return.

Just understand however that there will be no winners in this fight until you consider how adept the Front Office led by Colbert and Co. and the scouts are at finding/drafting then having the Coaching Staff subsequently develop talent at the Wide Receiver position. Pittsburgh’s Offense will definitely hurt with your absence in the short-term, there is no doubt about it, and they really suffered without Merriweather in 1988. Yet give Scottie Montgomery and O.C. Todd Haley (who was a Receivers Coach for a large chunk of his career) time to develop a speedster and big deep threat like Rookie Toney Clemons or draft one in the early Rounds over the next couple of seasons, and the transition will be seamless. You know? Kind of like how Santonio Holmes replaced Antwaan Randle El and Plaxico Burress, or how you yourself replaced Holmes and left Limas Sweed in the dust.

The proverbial “ball” is in your and your agent’s (Bus Cook) courts, and has been since the team placed the 1st Round RFA tender on you instead of the franchise tag close to four-five months ago. Do whatever you want though #17, because you are an adult and if you want to wait until the last third of the season to sign so you can be a UFA then go right ahead. Regardless of what happens though, I just earnestly hope that you take Merriweather’s story into account before you start doing something rash like he did. You might achieve a small measure of success elsewhere after you leave, but know this: the Steelers organization will find a way to be fine without you if you do decide to leave. It has happened before with Merriweather, and it you choose to hold out then depart, it will happen again.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/07/28/17-of-steelers-should-view-merriweather-as-cautionary-tale/

RuthlessBurgher
07-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Brown, whose emergence as a downfield threat began about the same time as Wallace’s production began falling off last season, signed for the same money the Redskins gave free agent Pierre Garcon.

Not exactly...in NFL contract negotiations, the name of the game is guaranteed dollars. Garcon got $20.5 million guaranteed, including an $11 million signing bonus and his entire 2012 base salary. Brown got an $8.5 million signing bonus.

flippy
07-29-2012, 12:31 PM

I'd go along with this thinking if the Steelers reduced the tender which in retrospect, they probably should have done when Wally didn't sign it.

Technically the Steelers have already done more than they needed to do with Wally. I'd seriously try and extend Sanders next while he's gonna be super cheap.

hawaiiansteel
07-29-2012, 09:32 PM
Lame Duck: Will Wallace Limp Through 2012 For Steelers?

Jul 29th, 2012 by CraigSteelers

Looks like Steelers Mike Wallace is quickly running out of options. When a president or someone ‘large and in charge’ is about to head out the door, it is often referred to as a ‘lame duck’ from that point on. Leadership and effectiveness are often put into question as the person out the door decries in their own head, ‘Who gives a rat’s butt?’

In the case of Mike Wallace, he’s one and a half feet out the door of the Steelers organization. Sure, he could sign his $2.7 million tender. But, with the Steelers practically offering up Wallace’s cash to Antonio Brown, surely there is bad blood a brewin’ between Wallace, the Front Office, and maybe even Brown. That kind of dynamic will more than likely result in an unhappy locker room. Unhappy locker rooms equate into poor performances on the field…. you see where this is going.

There’s no doubt that Wallace is a goat. Staunch defenders of him will say this is nowhere near his fault. But if the reports are true that the Steelers offered him up $10 mil a year, then he has been damned by Steeler Nation. Will all of this cause a bad case of head games for #17? Will it weigh on him as he reflects on his selfishness and poor decision making?

So my question to all of you is: Even if Wallace joins the Steelers – whether it’s now or partway through the season – will he even make a difference for the Steelers and for himself?

Will Wallace be a lame duck in 2012?

Yes (71%, 73 Votes)

No (29%, 30 Votes)

Total Voters: 103

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/07/29/lame-duck-will-wallace-limp-through-2012-for-steelers/

RuthlessBurgher
07-30-2012, 01:51 AM
People condemn Wallace for his lackluster 2nd half to the 2011 season. He had 29 catches for 393 yards and 3 TD's in those games. By no means awesome, but not awful either. Reasonably solid.

Compare that to the first half of his rookie season in 2009...25 catches for 437 yards and 3 TD's. Reasonably solid. The second half of his rookie season in 2009...14 catches for 319 yards and 3 TD's. Reasonably solid. The first half of his second season in 2010...22 catches for 405 yards and 5 TD's. Reasonably solid. His numbers in the last 8 games that we all consider to be sub-par are actually on par with the numbers that he was putting up in the first year-and-a-half of his NFL career.

Why do the most recent numbers seem so bad now, when it seemed like Wallace was a blossoming star early in his career? Expectations. As a 3rd round pick, expectations were not all that high for him entering the NFL, especially considering that the team already employed Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes at the time. Any production that we got out of this young speed demon early on was essentially gravy. For him to put up reasonably solid NFL numbers as a #3 WR on a team that has been traditionally run-oriented was awfully impressive.

Then, starting in the middle of the 2010 season, Wallace went on a absolute tear of historic Hall-of-Fame-type levels (no, really, I'm serious here...keep reading). In the second half of the 2010 season, Wallace had 38 catches for 850 yards and 5 TD's, then followed that up with 43 catches for 800 yards and 5 TD's in the first half of the 2011 season. Put those 16 games together and you have 81 catches for 1650 yards and 10 TD's...with an average of 20.4 yards per catch! If that 16 game stretch occurred within a single season rather than over the course of 2 seasons, it would be top-10 all time season in terms of receiving yardage (Jerry Rice holds the all time record for receiving yardage in a single season with 1848 yards in 1995, but the greatest receiver of all time did not top 1650 yards in any of his other 20 seasons). After a 16 game stretch like that, expectations were now through the roof, and a reasonably solid remaining 8 games simply felt like a tremendous letdown.

If we sign Wallace, the best case scenario is that he lives up to those incredible 1650 yard, 10 TD expectations. The worst case scenario is that he continues to put up reasonably solid numbers, but in doing so, he also draws coverage shaded toward him to prevent the big play, thereby opening things up for our other underneath receivers and our running game to be more successful.

Oviedo
07-30-2012, 07:25 AM
People condemn Wallace for his lackluster 2nd half to the 2011 season. He had 29 catches for 393 yards and 3 TD's in those games. By no means awesome, but not awful either. Reasonably solid.

Compare that to the first half of his rookie season in 2009...25 catches for 437 yards and 3 TD's. Reasonably solid. The second half of his rookie season in 2009...14 catches for 319 yards and 3 TD's. Reasonably solid. The first half of his second season in 2010...22 catches for 405 yards and 5 TD's. Reasonably solid. His numbers in the last 8 games that we all consider to be sub-par are actually on par with the numbers that he was putting up in the first year-and-a-half of his NFL career.

Why do the most recent numbers seem so bad now, when it seemed like Wallace was a blossoming star early in his career? Expectations. As a 3rd round pick, expectations were not all that high for him entering the NFL, especially considering that the team already employed Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes at the time. Any production that we got out of this young speed demon early on was essentially gravy. For him to put up reasonably solid NFL numbers as a #3 WR on a team that has been traditionally run-oriented was awfully impressive.

Then, starting in the middle of the 2010 season, Wallace went on a absolute tear of historic Hall-of-Fame-type levels (no, really, I'm serious here...keep reading). In the second half of the 2010 season, Wallace had 38 catches for 850 yards and 5 TD's, then followed that up with 43 catches for 800 yards and 5 TD's in the first half of the 2011 season. Put those 16 games together and you have 81 catches for 1650 yards and 10 TD's...with an average of 20.4 yards per catch! If that 16 game stretch occurred within a single season rather than over the course of 2 seasons, it would be top-10 all time season in terms of receiving yardage (Jerry Rice holds the all time record for receiving yardage in a single season with 1848 yards in 1995, but the greatest receiver of all time did not top 1650 yards in any of his other 20 seasons). After a 16 game stretch like that, expectations were now through the roof, and a reasonably solid remaining 8 games simply felt like a tremendous letdown.

If we sign Wallace, the best case scenario is that he lives up to those incredible 1650 yard, 10 TD expectations. The worst case scenario is that he continues to put up reasonably solid numbers, but in doing so, he also draws coverage shaded toward him to prevent the big play, thereby opening things up for our other underneath receivers and our running game to be more successful.

Ruthless--perhaps Wallace should hire you as his agent because his current one has screwed him. No one disagrees with you and believes that Wallace is not a good player. The whole issue is whether Wallace is a good player that we can afford to keep? Wallace knows what the Steelers cap situation agent is and he seems to be deliberately asking for more than they know the team can afford. If that continues to be the situation then sooner or later you have to move on.

I'd love to keep Wallace but I'm not sure Wallace wants to stay. Personally I don't think he likes the attention that Brown has gotten. We heard some rumors (Unconfirmed of course) last year that he was pouting as Brown's performance took off last year. If any of that is true and he is letting this be about ego it just may be better to move on.

Slapstick
07-30-2012, 08:32 AM

To me, not living up to the incredible numbers would not justify the salary demands...if you are going to ask for more than $10 million per year, you need to have those incredible 1650 yard, 10 TD seasons, IMO...

And, you need to produce in the playoffs...

RuthlessBurgher
07-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Ruthless--perhaps Wallace should hire you as his agent because his current one has screwed him.

I'll take it! If I convince him to show up for camp and sign the $2,742,000 RFA tender, do I get my standard 3% take from that? I could use a sweet $82,260 now, and then more when we work out a long term deal. :p

flippy
07-30-2012, 10:09 AM
I'll take it! If I convince him to show up for camp and sign the $2,742,000 RFA tender, do I get my standard 3% take from that? I could use a sweet $82,260 now, and then more when we work out a long term deal. :p

If you thought more about it, you'd probably have him holdout and wait for the big payday. That would be more aligned with your personal interests. You can always take out an $82k loan now if you need it.

RuthlessBurgher
07-30-2012, 10:37 AM
To me, not living up to the incredible numbers would not justify the salary demands...if you are going to ask for more than $10 million per year, you need to have those incredible 1650 yard, 10 TD seasons, IMO...

And, you need to produce in the playoffs...

Just curious...If Wallace not living up to the incredible numbers would not justify the salary demands, then what has Antonio Brown done to justify his new salary?

In Brown's first 8 games of his rookie season, he had 1 catch for 6 yards and 0 TD's.
In the next 8 games of his rookie season, he had 15 catches for 161 yards and 0 TD's.
In the first 8 games last season, he had 34 catches for 431 yards and 1 TD.
In the last 8 games last season, he had 35 catches for 677 yards and 1 TD.

That shows steady improvement, which is promising, but where are the incredible numbers to justify his new salary?

The second half of last season was Brown's breakout, but even that didn't come close to the 850 yards and 5 TD's that Wallace had at the end of 2010 or the 800 yards and 5 TD's that he had at the beginning of 2011. Brown has shown to be an above average NFL WR, but is by no means dominant at this point in his career (one could argue that the combination of his return skills and receiving skills make him dominant, but since we are taking away many of his return responsibilities moving forward, what is the value of that?).

Wallace made the Pro Bowl as a receiver. Brown made the Pro Bowl as a return man. I don't mean to denegrate Brown's receiving abilities, because he is certainly a much better receiver than other return men who are only marginal wideouts like Josh Cribbs or Devin Hester. Brown did emerge as a legit threat for us last season, but Wallace has shown that he is capable of true dominance with that 1650 yard, 10 TD's stretch from the middle of 2010 to the middle of 2011. Brown getting 1100 yards and 2 TD's is nice, but many receivers are able to do that in today's NFL...that is not true dominance...Brown's got to continue to improve to live up to his contract terms. Because he hasn't proven himself over the long term, I'm glad we were able to sign Brown long-term with only a $8.5 signing bonus. Because Wallace has proven himself much more than Brown thus far, I have no problem giving him guaranteed money up to $20 million on a contract in the neighborhood of Desean Jackson.

Oviedo
07-30-2012, 10:56 AM

I assume with $82K you are buying the beer or other beverages for the "planet"!!!!

Oviedo
07-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Just curious...If Wallace not living up to the incredible numbers would not justify the salary demands, then what has Antonio Brown done to justify his new salary?

In Brown's first 8 games of his rookie season, he had 1 catch for 6 yards and 0 TD's.
In the next 8 games of his rookie season, he had 15 catches for 161 yards and 0 TD's.
In the first 8 games last season, he had 34 catches for 431 yards and 1 TD.
In the last 8 games last season, he had 35 catches for 677 yards and 1 TD.

That shows steady improvement, which is promising, but where are the incredible numbers to justify his new salary?

The second half of last season was Brown's breakout, but even that didn't come close to the 850 yards and 5 TD's that Wallace had at the end of 2010 or the 800 yards and 5 TD's that he had at the beginning of 2011. Brown has shown to be an above average NFL WR, but is by no means dominant at this point in his career (one could argue that the combination of his return skills and receiving skills make him dominant, but since we are taking away many of his return responsibilities moving forward, what is the value of that?).

Wallace made the Pro Bowl as a receiver. Brown made the Pro Bowl as a return man. I don't mean to denegrate Brown's receiving abilities, because he is certainly a much better receiver than other return men who are only marginal wideouts like Josh Cribbs or Devin Hester. Brown did emerge as a legit threat for us last season, but Wallace has shown that he is capable of true dominance with that 1650 yard, 10 TD's stretch from the middle of 2010 to the middle of 2011. Brown getting 1100 yards and 2 TD's is nice, but many receivers are able to do that in today's NFL...that is not true dominance...Brown's got to continue to improve to live up to his contract terms. Because he hasn't proven himself over the long term, I'm glad we were able to sign Brown long-term with only a $8.5 signing bonus. Because Wallace has proven himself much more than Brown thus far, I have no problem giving him guaranteed money up to $20 million on a contract in the neighborhood of Desean Jackson.

It is because the people who see these guys every single day see something special that they may not see in Wallace. The coaches and scouts didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday and they see a desire to excel and work to achieve that in Brown that they are willing to commit to him. Heart and desire matter. Look at Hines Ward who became the all-time leader WR with a lot less ability than other players.

What they see in Wallace is a emerging prima dona who has had excellent on the field performance but as soon as another player started to take a little bit of the spotlight away went into a "funk" the latter part of last season. Then follows that up with being a jerk this season and deliberately tweaking the nose of the organization when they made it easy for him by giving him some very simple guidance to follow.

Who would you reward?

Slapstick
07-30-2012, 11:36 AM
The sad thing is this...

If the problem is guaranteed money, what is the likelihood that the Steelers would have offered a simple restructuring to Wallace in the future? Given the last few years, pretty good, I'd say...

RuthlessBurgher
07-30-2012, 03:55 PM
I assume with $82K you are buying the beer or other beverages for the "planet"!!!!

If I get Wallace to report to camp, you guys should be buying me beverages! ;)

fordfixer
08-02-2012, 12:54 AM
Thoughts about Wallace holdout

http://www.heraldstandard.com/sports/columnists/mike_ciarochi/thoughts-about-wallace-holdout/article_935d2934-d91d-5dae-8911-ac61da6c62d4.html

Posted on August 1, 2012

by jwdzeus

LATROBE -- I was listening to sports talk radio a few days ago, but that's my problem, not yours.

Anyway, the talking heads were bantering this way and that about the Mike Wallace situation.

It got me thinking (although I'd never admit it to them) about the whole scenario. My conclusion was that their conclusion was quite flawed.

One of the guys applauded Wallace for using his leverage against the Steelers by holding out. His point was that Wallace was doing the right thing by not allowing the Steelers to control his salary as he enters the prime years of his career in pro football, that Wallace would be shortchanging himself if he agreed to play for less that what he believes he is worth.

He went on to say, and his cohort readily concurred, that he agreed with both the Steelers and with Wallace in this matter, that each side was justified with its stance.

Well, if you stand back and look at each side in this labor dispute on its own merit, I suppose you could come to that conclusion.

But if you know anything about the negotiating history of the Pittsburgh Steelers, all of that goes out the window. Simply stated, the tail does not wag this dog. Two future Hall of Fame players -- Franco Harris and Rod Woodson -- thought they had leverage in negotiations with the Steelers. Both ended their careers elsewhere.

On a much smaller scale, I'm not ready to put Wallace in the category of future Hall of Famer. I listened as the talking heads compared Wallace to Arizona's Larry Fitzgerald and I almost wrecked my car. It's easy to look at the numbers and see that Wallace has a slight edge on Fitzgerald in several important categories.

But just as important is that Arizona showed Fitzgerald his importance to that team by signing him to a lucrative long-term contract. Fitzgerald is the unquestioned top dog with the Cardinals. Wallace might be the Steelers best receiver, but he's not their most important player. He might not even crack the top five.

And, while Wallace has posted some pretty impressive career stats, he fell off the face of the Earth in the second half of last season, when he caught only 25 passes for 325 yards and two touchdowns in the last eight regular-season games before grabbing three for 26 in the playoff loss at Denver.

Not to overemphasize the negative, but the Steelers have to wonder whether other teams have found out how to properly defend Wallace. How much would you be willing to invest in him to find out?

Which neatly guides us to the crux of the matter.

Still on the table for Wallace is the team's $2.7 million tender offer for the 2012 season. They left the option open for Wallace to earn more, this season and beyond. All he needs to do is take pen to paper and sign the tender. Once he does, he can report to camp and work with his teammates while his agent and the Steelers work on a lucrative extension.

One other point to make: If Wallace is so worried about the relatively short lifespan of an NFL receiver that he needs to be paid handsomely right now (as the talking heads suggested), how can he afford to leave $2.7 million in the Steelers pocket and sit out even part of a season?

No, the next move is definitely Wallace's to make. He either signs the tender or he sits and waits. All the while, his teammates are learning a new offense and getting ready to play the season, with him or without him.

Sports editor Mike Ciarochi may be reached at mciarochi@heraldstandard.com.

hawaiiansteel
08-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers: Not Signing Mike Wallace a Bad Idea

August 02, 2012

http://a.fn.fncdn.com/images/content/getty/crops/zSwpga.jpg

The Pittsburgh Steelers have decided to play hardball when it comes to renegotiating the contract of star wide out Mike Wallace.

By now it is no surprise that fans and media alike in Pittsburgh and across the nation have argued that Wallace is only hurting himself by holding out.

Yet, what may come as a huge surprise to everyone, including the diehards in the Steel City, is that the Steelers are actually wrong in this instance.

Instead of working on an extension agreeable to both Wallace and the organization, the Steelers went out and signed teammate Antonio Brown to a long-term deal. It is true that Brown finished the season with 69 receptions for 1,108 yards and 2 TDs, but it was the first season the third-year veteran has produced such numbers. Wallace, on the other hand, has been consistent throughout his three seasons in Pittsburgh, hauling in 171 receptions for 3,206 yards and 24 TDs during that time span.

How can the Steelers' brass be so sure that Brown's numbers weren't a product of playing alongside Wallace, who oftentimes demanded double coverage?

The short answer is they can't and they know it. Pittsburgh is taking a huge risk that Antonio Brown, in his second season as a receiver, proves to be a more than capable No. 1 wide receiver in the absence of Wallace. Problem is they have no one else to stretch the field, so defenses will be able to key in on Brown. Combine that with the fact that the Black and Gold had a hard time keeping quarterback Ben Roethlisberger upright last season(he was sacked 40 times), and the decision to let Wallace holdout of training camp seems like a recipe for disaster.

Adding insult to injury is that the Steelers must turn to the green Isaac Redman in the backfield. Redman performed admirably last season in place of the injured Rashard Mendenhall(torn ACL), but it is uncertain whether he is up to the task of being the featured back for the entire season. The timetable for Mendenhall's return is uncertain, as recovery from ACL surgery is very hard to predict.

So, while popular opinion is that Mike Wallace is only hurting himself by holding out from training camp, in this instance, the Steelers might have the most to lose. Even if he misses the entire 2012 season, there is bound to be a huge demand for his services during the following offseason. Pittsburgh, on the other hand, is gambling that a one-year wonder kid can do it again, and has no potential safety net should this deal fall through. For an organization that has been regarded as one of the shrewdest front offices in the NFL, this move would seem out of character.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/pittsburgh_steelers_not_signing_mike_wallace_a_bad _idea/11358613

Oviedo
08-03-2012, 09:20 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers: Not Signing Mike Wallace a Bad Idea

August 02, 2012

http://a.fn.fncdn.com/images/content/getty/crops/zSwpga.jpg

The Pittsburgh Steelers have decided to play hardball when it comes to renegotiating the contract of star wide out Mike Wallace.

By now it is no surprise that fans and media alike in Pittsburgh and across the nation have argued that Wallace is only hurting himself by holding out.

Yet, what may come as a huge surprise to everyone, including the diehards in the Steel City, is that the Steelers are actually wrong in this instance.

Instead of working on an extension agreeable to both Wallace and the organization, the Steelers went out and signed teammate Antonio Brown to a long-term deal. It is true that Brown finished the season with 69 receptions for 1,108 yards and 2 TDs, but it was the first season the third-year veteran has produced such numbers. Wallace, on the other hand, has been consistent throughout his three seasons in Pittsburgh, hauling in 171 receptions for 3,206 yards and 24 TDs during that time span.

How can the Steelers' brass be so sure that Brown's numbers weren't a product of playing alongside Wallace, who oftentimes demanded double coverage?

The short answer is they can't and they know it. Pittsburgh is taking a huge risk that Antonio Brown, in his second season as a receiver, proves to be a more than capable No. 1 wide receiver in the absence of Wallace. Problem is they have no one else to stretch the field, so defenses will be able to key in on Brown. Combine that with the fact that the Black and Gold had a hard time keeping quarterback Ben Roethlisberger upright last season(he was sacked 40 times), and the decision to let Wallace holdout of training camp seems like a recipe for disaster.

Adding insult to injury is that the Steelers must turn to the green Isaac Redman in the backfield. Redman performed admirably last season in place of the injured Rashard Mendenhall(torn ACL), but it is uncertain whether he is up to the task of being the featured back for the entire season. The timetable for Mendenhall's return is uncertain, as recovery from ACL surgery is very hard to predict.

So, while popular opinion is that Mike Wallace is only hurting himself by holding out from training camp, in this instance, the Steelers might have the most to lose. Even if he misses the entire 2012 season, there is bound to be a huge demand for his services during the following offseason. Pittsburgh, on the other hand, is gambling that a one-year wonder kid can do it again, and has no potential safety net should this deal fall through. For an organization that has been regarded as one of the shrewdest front offices in the NFL, this move would seem out of character.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/pittsburgh_steelers_not_signing_mike_wallace_a_bad _idea/11358613

It's all on Wallace to sign. The Steelers didn't tell him to stay away he chose to.

Sugar
08-03-2012, 10:43 PM
It's not like the Steelers don't want to sign Wallace. They have limited cap room and can only do so much anyway.

hawaiiansteel
08-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Wallace's absence strains Steelers' depth

August 4, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The continuing holdout of Mike Wallace goes beyond the Steelers missing one of the great deep threats in the NFL. It cuts into their depth at wide receiver, and, while that may not pose a problem at the moment with a 90-man roster, it soon could become one.

With Wallace, the Steelers would possess one of the best receiving foursomes in the league that includes team MVP Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery. That group is buttressed by tight end Heath Miller and whichever backs emerge as targets in the passing game.

They would seem to have good depth and versatility to go with Ben Roethlisberger, one of the best quarterbacks in the league. If Wallace continues his holdout, the depth at wide receiver, however, is reduced to three, and no one has emerged to help ease that shortage after a week of practice.

"I haven't seen any distinct separation at this point, but it's still early" coordinator Todd Haley said Friday.

It was around this time last year that Sanders had to have more surgery on a foot after having both fixed by surgeons early in the year. Sanders has said his feet are fine, but he did not practice Friday night, although coach Mike Tomlin held him out of practice the other day on artificial turf as to not court trouble. Losing Sanders, Cotchery or Brown would be certain trouble for the Steelers because there really is no one else to move in. At least, no one has shown they can yet.

"There's some ability," Haley said. "But, at that position, there is some pressure to try to get one of those guys kind of come to the surface. So we'll push them hard, and you'll see that position getting coached pretty vigilantly trying to get that to happen."

The only player with any kind of experience behind them is Derrick Williams, a 26-year-old out of Penn State who was not on an NFL roster last season. He caught nine passes in 18 games over the 2009 and '10 seasons with Detroit.

That's it. Everyone else is a first-year pro or a rookie. The only receiver drafted by the Steelers this year was Toney Clemons of Valley High School and Colorado; they took him in the seventh round.

Haley puts Clemons in the group with others as inconsistent through the first week of practice in pads.

"We tell them all, we don't want yo-yo players -- good one day, bad the next," Haley said. "We're looking for a guy who consistently comes to work and is the same guy. At the same time, special teams will help define that, too. Those guys have been put on notice, whether it's Arnaz Battle from years past, there's always one of those guys, that's how he makes it. That'll be a big determining factor, too."

Battle, their former special-teams captain released early in the year, was technically a wide receiver who made the squad for his performance on special teams. Usually, those players come from a group of receivers, defensive backs or linebackers.

Clemons might have a slight edge over others because he has good size at 6 feet 2, 210 pounds and decent speed to go with it. He echoed his coach's words when he noted that the toughest thing through the first week is "just staying consistent and not being up and down and be on a roller coaster. Just be the same guy every day, and try to make plays and get better every day."

But do the Steelers have time for these young players to find themselves? The longer Wallace holds out, the more chance he could extend his absence into the season and perhaps right up until the final six games. That's when he would have to be on the roster in order for him to become an unrestricted free agent in '13.

"It's very critical, because you get thin real quick if we don't have a couple of those guys," Haley said of someone in the pack rising to No. 4 or No. 5. "But, like I said, there is ability, and there are some flashes of things you like to see. I don't think the cupboard's bare, it's young."

It's also early, but if the status quo holds -- Wallace stays away and no one joins the top three -- the Steelers may be forced to look elsewhere, either a current free agent (Plaxico Burress anyone?) or via trade.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/wallaces-absence-strains-depth-647530/#ixzz22bkG3P4P

hawaiiansteel
08-06-2012, 08:38 PM
Steelers GM: 'There's really no contact' with WR Mike Wallace

By Ryan Wilson
August 6, 2012

http://cbssports.com/images/blogs/mike-wallace-colbert-talks-steelers.jpg

As the Steelers prepare for their first preseason game, Wallace remains at home.

It's been 10 days since Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said that the organization would no longer actively negotiate with wide receiver Mike Wallace, suggesting that for talks to resume Wallace would first have to sign his restricted free-agent tender and report to training camp.

"I think once we made that decision [to cut off negotiations] we're in a different mode and we would have to address any new negotiation if we get to that point," Colbert said at the time.

Well, the team's first week in Latrobe is in the books and its first preseason game is Thursday in Philadelphia. But still no Wallace, and it's not clear when we'll see him. During a radio appearance Monday, Colbert admitted that the two sides haven't communicated recently.

“Yeah there's really no contact," he said according to SportsRadioInterviews.com. "Mike knows where things stand. The next step for him really is to report and to sign his tender, and until that happens, there won't be anything else. And if that happens, nobody knows where it will go from there. So that's where it is and has been, and hopefully it comes to an end sooner rather than later because it will be good for us, but it will also be good for Mike.”

Wallace's tender will pay him $2.7 million in 2012. He's obviously hoping for something well north of that. How far north? Nothing definitive, but there was speculation that he was looking for Vincent Jackson money -- $11 million per year. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's Mark Kaboly reported last week that Pittsburgh had a five-year, $50 million deal on the table … and Wallace turned it down.

So while talks with Wallace languished, the organization turned its attention to it's other young, big-play wideout: Antonio Brown, who they inked to a five-year, $42 million extension. So did one have anything to do with the other? Not according to Colbert.

“We had actually talked with Antonio's representatives as far back as the Combine because he was entering his third year, and we said, ‘look, listen, during the summer, sometimes during training camp we take care of guys entering the third year of their contract, but we do it in an order,' he said. "We try to take care of guys that are going to be unrestricted free agents, restricted free agents, and then we always move into that next group which Antonio is in. That had been in the works for awhile and really the two are unrelated.”

The bottom line is this: Wallace has virtually no leverage, even if he makes the Steelers' offense substantially more dangerous. Even if he sits out 10 games this season and accrues a year's service to become a free agent in the spring, Pittsburgh can franchise him, and do it again a year later.

And though there isn't any depth beyond Brown, Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery, the Steelers have plenty of playmakers, starting with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. New offensive coordinator Todd Haley would like to get tight end Heath Miller more involved in the passing game, and rookie fifth-rounder Chris Rainey could be a versatile option out of the backfield and used in a similar way Haley used Dexter McCluster in Kansas City.

Plus, don't forget: Pittsburgh won the Super Bowl with the likes of Hines Ward, Antwaan Randle El and Cedrick Wilson as their top three wideouts.

But we're guessing Wallace shows up sooner rather than later because, well, he doesn't have much choice. And if not there's always Plax (we're kidding … we think).

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19741507/steelers-gm-theres-really-no-contact-with-wr-mike-wallace

fezziwig
08-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Ten million a year, being on a Super Bowl contending team, would be the fan favorite that would last forever, teammates/friends, would be the star with a star qb throwing him passes....... He's in it for the money and nothing else. I'm not saying that like it's a bad thing but it's probably the fact. If that's his attitude or his desire it's best he moves on to a team that is willing to pay that kind of cabbage.
It's a passing league now and receivers are the big money men in my opinion just like the runningbacks used to be. The thing about being a receiver and being successful is, you better make sure you have a quarteback around that can get you the ball so that you can earn that money. In the running day your qb could have been just an average Joe because what the heck, they relied more on running the ball. Just my sleepy opinion.
As a Steeler fan, 10 million is more than enough for a receiver. Save that kind of coin for the quaterback and maybe some pass rushing monster that will create termoil for the opposing teams. Save that kind of money to allow your team to sign better quality players all the way around.
We won before him and we will win without him.... I don't sweat it a bit.

hawaiiansteel
08-07-2012, 12:41 AM
Tainted Love: Steelers Should Deal Wallace

Aug 6th, 2012 by CraigSteelers

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2012/08/5856788.jpg?be7b5d

Maybe it’s because there are so many other awesome things to talk about in camp for the Steelers. Maybe it’s because it’s been drawing on for so damn long. Maybe it’s because I can’t stand greedy football players dominating the headlines day in and day out. Well whatever the reason, I’ve just about had it with Mike Wallace, and I think it’s time the Steelers should deal him out.

Ok so the thing that really grinds my gears about Wallace is the fact that he does not trust the Steelers organization. And for that, like any good solid relationship, he should get dumped right into that Ohio River and doggy paddle his way all the way down to Cincy or St. Louis where he belongs – mediocrity. Wallace has had two weeks now to since camp started to ‘think about’ his stupidity by not signing a long term contract with the Steelers. Why stupid? Well a few reasons. A) It’s stupid to think that for only a few seasons out of your career you have ‘pretty good’ stats, have a good start to your last season then totally disappear, and then expect to get a huge paycheck for your efforts. B) You are playing for one of the greatest franchises in NFL history. C) With Ben Roethlisberger, you have the chance to become one of the most electrifying receivers in your generation of receivers. D) Did I mention that you are playing for the Steelers?

Wallace and the Wallace Lovers out there may think that he is due his payday already. It’s shortsighted. Wallace and the Wallace Lovers out there may think that the Steelers are being stingy with their cash. Well it’s not rocket science to figure out that this year’s cap has hit all teams hard and that the Steelers would have to dump a bunch more players to fit Wallace into the pay grade he feels he belongs in. Has anyone reminded him (or the other WL’s out there) that the Steelers already dumped veterans like Hines Ward and James Farrior? Those were moves to not only attempt to better the team, but also shore up more capital to pay players like Wallace.

This whole situation comes down to loyalty and trust – and Mike Wallace has neither for the Steelers organization. Go ahead and say it, ‘But Craig, wouldn’t you say that by dumping Hines Ward they weren’t loyal to a receiver who wanted to stay in Pittsburgh?’ And while that’s close to being a good point, it misses the mark. Time and time again. Great player after great player, the Steelers take care of their own. Ward was taken care of when he signed his extension after a hold out. A hold out in which he caved and wished he had never done (see retirement speech). Bettis, Roethlisberger, Harrison, Polamalu, and now Antonio Brown. Those who truly want to play for this team get to play for this team. They eventually get their payday. Or they get to hang on for just another year or two to get that ring or reach a personal milestone. The Steelers strive for excellence and reward excellence. Mike Wallace, you are not excellent.

The Steelers are still willing to talk to you, which you should feel blessed that they haven’t sent your sorry rear packing to some desperate team looking for any offensive talent. But first you have to sign that tender. And, I think that’s where you are scared. You’re scared that if you sign that tender, you won’t get quite the deal you wanted. You’re scared that if you sign that tender, there will be no long term deal. You’re scared that without a long term deal you may get screwed if you get hurt. You don’t trust the people at the front office to give you the deal you think you deserve. Which is a shame because you will get the deal you deserve (just not the one you think you should.) And, because you don’t trust this organization to continually work with you on a deal while you prove week in and week out that you are so worth it you deserve instead to be traded. Your time with the team has been tainted. Adios.

The Steelers and Steeler Nation don’t need that kind of player in the locker room or on the field. Trust that those you represent within this organization are working hard for you. Let your ballin’ do the talking, not your desire for money or your agent. Think I’m dead wrong? Prove me wrong. I would love it if you did. Sign that tender, and let’s see what happens. Get off your sorry duff and get on that field and show us that you are indeed worth every penny. Time to put up or get traded.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/08/06/tainted-love-steelers-should-deal-wallace/

hawaiiansteel
08-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Colbert says time hasn’t come for a veteran receiver, yet

Posted by Mike Florio on August 7, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/610x57-e1344371333510.jpg?w=250

Amid speculation from Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that a Plaxico Burress reunion could be coming with the Steelers, G.M. Kevin Colbert said that the time hasn’t come to add a veteran receiver in response to the ongoing holdout of Mike Wallace.

Colbert declined to specifically address Burress, who visited with the Steelers last year before signing with the Jets. But Colbert told Vinnie & Cook of 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh that, eventually, a veteran could be added.

“The veteran guys that are available . . . those are the guys we’ll consider later on if we’re not happy with the young guys and their development,” Colbert said. ”So we’ll give the young players that we have the opportunity to compete and to improve and if you’re not satisfied that the guys you already have aren’t gonna be good enough to fill whatever void you have be it an injury or a holdout, then you’ll have to look to the veteran group.”

Colbert seemed to suggest a preference for a guy who has been in camp and was cut by another team, since those players already are active and in shape. That would make it harder to Burress to get an offer to return to Pittsburgh.

So, basically, at some point the Steelers may add a veteran receiver. And it could be Burress. Or it could be someone else. Much of it depends on when and if Mike Wallace shoes up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/07/colbert-says-time-hasnt-come-for-a-veteran-receiver-yet/

Slapstick
08-07-2012, 05:13 PM
I don't want the Steelers to trade Mike Wallace.

But, this sentiment is absolutely 100% correct:

Let your ballin’ do the talking, not your desire for money or your agent.

lloydroid
08-07-2012, 05:27 PM
This still isn't even worth talking about. Wallace can't afford to sit out for the year; it won't happen.

aggiebones
08-07-2012, 05:42 PM
It would be insane for him to skip a year or even most of it. He'll never get that money back.
He would get a nice contract eventually, but then he'd be in some craphole town. And his stats would suffer and his next contract will be even lower. Wallace needs a new agent.

hawaiiansteel
08-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Wallace to eventually cave, report to camp?

A source close to Steelers holdout Mike Wallace told ESPN's Bob Holtzman that he believes Wallace will "eventually be in camp."

It just may not happen right away. "(The source) said that there's a lot of healing that needs to be done -- for both sides," Holtzman reported. "... I'm also told, though, that it may be awhile before Wallace shows up here because the Steelers, about ten days ago, signed Antonio Brown to a long, six-year contract extension worth $40-something million, and I'm told 'that did not sit very well' with Wallace."

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/237421/wallace-to-eventually-cave-report-to-camp

RuthlessBurgher
08-07-2012, 07:49 PM
I don't think he'll show up for camp...I think he'll show up right after camp breaks. The last day in Latrobe is Friday, August 17th. The first preseason game at Heinz (preseason game #2) is Sunday, August 19th. The players will have Monday off and will report again for practice on Tuesday, August 21. I predict Wallace sign his RFA tender and will report on 8-21-12, and will play in the 3rd preseason game at Buffalo (the 3rd game in where the starters play the longest) on Saturday, August 25th. A long term deal will likely be finalized between preseason game #4 against Carolina on 8-30-12 and the season opener in Denver on 9-9-12.

squidkid
08-07-2012, 08:28 PM
It would be insane for him to skip a year or even most of it. He'll never get that money back.
He would get a nice contract eventually, but then he'd be in some craphole town. And his stats would suffer and his next contract will be even lower. Wallace needs a new agent.

it's been reported that wallace is not taking the adviuce of his agent and is pulling this crap off by himself.

squidkid
08-07-2012, 08:33 PM

it should be apparent by now that wallace doesnt care what team he plays for as long as he gets paid. i think he will still be able to get that money back. some ignorant owner will pay him a huge amount but i believe when all is said and done, the money he can make in pittsburgh will eventually be equal to that of another team. wallace can only hope that if he signs here that he can quickly make the fans forget about what a POS he has become during this situation.

fezziwig
08-07-2012, 08:35 PM
wallace must have an ego that can't listen or see the light it's obvious he either doesn't know steeler history or believes he's above steeler history. he won't get nothing if he isn't in camp but, maybe he already knows the steelers will never agree to what he wants even if he does sign for this season ?

squidkid
08-07-2012, 08:36 PM
I don't think he'll show up for camp...I think he'll show up right after camp breaks. The last day in Latrobe is Friday, August 17th. The first preseason game at Heinz (preseason game #2) is Sunday, August 19th. The players will have Monday off and will report again for practice on Tuesday, August 21. I predict Wallace sign his RFA tender and will report on 8-21-12, and will play in the 3rd preseason game at Buffalo (the 3rd game in where the starters play the longest) on Saturday, August 25th. A long term deal will likely be finalized between preseason game #4 against Carolina on 8-30-12 and the season opener in Denver on 9-9-12.

not sure if your dates are correct but i think he may break and show up also. if he does, he will almost be forced to sign the steelers offer(unless its unbelievably low). if wallace is truly playiongh the 'injury' card, it wouldnt make sense for him to play all 16 just for the tender amount.

RuthlessBurgher
08-07-2012, 08:38 PM
it should be apparent by now that wallace doesnt care what team he plays for as long as he gets paid. i think he will still be able to get that money back. some ignorant owner will pay him a huge amount but i believe when all is said and done, the money he can make in pittsburgh will eventually be equal to that of another team. wallace can only hope that if he signs here that he can quickly make the fans forget about what a POS he has become during this situation.

Is Rod Woodson a "POS" because he missed half his rookie season in a contract dispute?

fezziwig
08-07-2012, 08:39 PM
will he be a distraction to the team if he does show up ? will he be moaning that the team isn't giving him his love or will he be complaining in the locker room, to the media about how he won't be back next season ?

RuthlessBurgher
08-07-2012, 09:52 PM
will he be a distraction to the team if he does show up ? will he be moaning that the team isn't giving him his love or will he be complaining in the locker room, to the media about how he won't be back next season ?

I doubt it...even if he only plays under the $2,724,000 tender, he would still make almost as much in 3 game checks as he made all of last season.

If he skipped out on the first 10 games, he'd lose $1.7 million in salary, which, oddly enough, is the total amount he has earned so far in 3 combined years as a pro.

RuthlessBurgher
08-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Report: Steelers won’t trade Mike Wallace “at any point”
Posted by Evan Silva on August 7, 2012, 7:29 PM EDT

Citing team sources, Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the Steelers will not trade unsigned holdout wide receiver Mike Wallace “at any point this season.”

Dulac’s report also notes that Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is “no longer supportive” of Wallace as he angles for a long-term deal. Pittsburgh wound up giving a contract it originally proposed to Wallace — or at least most of it — to fellow receiver Antonio Brown.

Per Dulac, the Steelers are willing to wait “several weeks” to see if Wallace caves. The organization does not anticipate Wallace reporting before it departs from St. Vincent College on August 18, and the Steelers appear to be just fine with that.

The Post-Gazette story is the latest in a string of strong signals from the Steelers that the club will not relent and meet Wallace’s contractual demands. G.M. Kevin Colbert recently told 93.7 in Pittsburgh that the Steelers will continue to stand their ground until Wallace signs his one-year, $2.742 million tender and reports to club headquarters.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/07/report-steelers-wont-trade-mike-wallace-at-any-point/

ter1230_4
08-07-2012, 11:36 PM
Is Rod Woodson a "POS" because he missed half his rookie season in a contract dispute?

Yes actually, Rod Woodson is a "POS" because of the way he handled his contract negotiations with the Steelers. If you recall how he parted ways with the Steelers, Mr. Woodson turned down a long term extension from the Steelers then tore his ACL. When the Steelers reduced their long term offer, Woodson ended up signing with the 49ers in a fit of pique for HALF of what the reduced Steelers offer was. I think that alone makes Woodson a POS.

RuthlessBurgher
08-08-2012, 01:12 AM
Yes actually, Rod Woodson is a "POS" because of the way he handled his contract negotiations with the Steelers. If you recall how he parted ways with the Steelers, Mr. Woodson turned down a long term extension from the Steelers then tore his ACL. When the Steelers reduced their long term offer, Woodson ended up signing with the 49ers in a fit of pique for HALF of what the reduced Steelers offer was. I think that alone makes Woodson a POS.

I wasn't talking about how he left...I was talking about how he arrived. He held out until late October of his rookie year, and fans still had "Rod is God" signs up in Three Rivers for him. If people think that Wallace is now a POS because he isn't at training camp, then they certainly should have thought that Woodson was a POS from day one, since he wasn't around for half of the actual games that count during his rookie season because of a contract dispute.

ter1230_4
08-08-2012, 03:46 AM
I wasn't talking about how he left...I was talking about how he arrived. He held out until late October of his rookie year, and fans still had "Rod is God" signs up in Three Rivers for him. If people think that Wallace is now a POS because he isn't at training camp, then they certainly should have thought that Woodson was a POS from day one, since he wasn't around for half of the actual games that count during his rookie season because of a contract dispute.

I will give you Woodson's rookie holdout. The NFL was a very different place back then, there was no free agency whatsoever, there was no rookie slotting. If I recall correctly, if a player who was drafted failed to sign with the team that drafted him and sat out the entire year, he would go back into the draft the following year. But what makes Mike Wallace an almost incomprehensibly huge POS is that the system which makes 4th year players restricted (as opposed to unrestricted) free agents has been in place for almost 20 years and was ratified just last year in the new CBA negotiated by the player's union that Wallace is a member of. Wallace is the only 4th year player this year that refused to sign his tender, and seems to think that he is entitled to pretend that he is an unrestricted free agent. His disgustingly selfish conduct guarantees that no matter how many games he deigns to show up for this season, it will be his last as a Steeler.

Pops8
08-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Wallace to eventually cave, report to camp?

A source close to Steelers holdout Mike Wallace told ESPN's Bob Holtzman that he believes Wallace will "eventually be in camp."

It just may not happen right away. "(The source) said that there's a lot of healing that needs to be done -- for both sides," Holtzman reported. "... I'm also told, though, that it may be awhile before Wallace shows up here because the Steelers, about ten days ago, signed Antonio Brown to a long, six-year contract extension worth $40-something million, and I'm told 'that did not sit very well' with Wallace."

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/237421/wallace-to-eventually-cave-report-to-camp

So instead of being happy for his teammate, Mikey is butthurt that the team took care of someone who is in camp and working hard? Talk about a turd.

RuthlessBurgher
08-08-2012, 10:22 AM
His disgustingly selfish conduct guarantees that no matter how many games he deigns to show up for this season, it will be his last as a Steeler.

It guarantees nothing. Colbert has noted all along that his intention has always been to sign Wallace long-term. As more and more media outlets speculated on possible trade destinations for Wallace, Colbert shot back that they have no intention of trading Wallace at any point. Wallace will report...likely shortly after camp breaks (which happens two days before preseason game #2 against the Colts), and he will likely have a shiny long-term contract in his hand before the start of the regular season.

fezziwig
08-08-2012, 10:44 AM
I won't view Wallace as a pos, it's still a free country and though I don't agree with him, I don't hate him over it. For me to continue to talk about Wallace or anyone else with contract issues is just for the entertainment of it and for me to have football stuff running through me. It is what it is and I have no control over it so, panic from me won't help. I tell you one thing, I would have been put out if we wouldn't have signed Lamar Woodley last season.

As for Rod Woodson, I thought he was in the Olympics or Olympic tryouts during rookie camp ? It was years ago so whatever I think or remember is probably wrong. I do remember Rod holding out but I didn't care what it took to get him into camp. Years of Harvey Clayton and other people from the burn unit made all is good with Rod the god.

As for Wallace again, maybe he will be back this season, he is hurting the team not learning the offense. He is hurting his chances of getting all he can get out of practice. Also, teammates should stay out of touch with him. The more he has guys asking him to come back or keeping this hold out alive then, the more he feels he is in control or he is more important than the Rooney/Steeler way of handeling things.
Stay away from him and he'll get lonley for the black n gold.

fordfixer
08-08-2012, 02:31 PM
I won't view Wallace as a pos, it's still a free country and though I don't agree with him, I don't hate him over it. For me to continue to talk about Wallace or anyone else with contract issues is just for the entertainment of it and for me to have football stuff running through me. It is what it is and I have no control over it so, panic from me won't help. I tell you one thing, I would have been put out if we wouldn't have signed Lamar Woodley last season.

As for Rod Woodson, I thought he was in the Olympics or Olympic tryouts during rookie camp ? It was years ago so whatever I think or remember is probably wrong. I do remember Rod holding out but I didn't care what it took to get him into camp. Years of Harvey Clayton and other people from the burn unit made all is good with Rod the god.

As for Wallace again, maybe he will be back this season, he is hurting the team not learning the offense. He is hurting his chances of getting all he can get out of practice. Also, teammates should stay out of touch with him. The more he has guys asking him to come back or keeping this hold out alive then, the more he feels he is in control or he is more important than the Rooney/Steeler way of handeling things.
Stay away from him and he'll get lonley for the black n gold.

Great toys:Beer

fezziwig
08-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Great toys:Beer
Being a Ford man I tought you would appreciate the A's. If you check out my photo album you'll see a couple of more and better pics. I'm currently building the batmobile now but, with work and trying to do my summer home it has taken a back seat. I'm in the process of buying a 1930 Ford pickup truck. I'll probably restore that before I finish the bat. The bat, I have to do so much engineering since I'm building it from scratch.

squidkid
08-08-2012, 04:22 PM

yup............

NJ-STEELER
08-08-2012, 06:19 PM

or hines when he held out.

he actually had a signed contract

Oviedo
08-08-2012, 09:23 PM
It guarantees nothing. Colbert has noted all along that his intention has always been to sign Wallace long-term. As more and more media outlets speculated on possible trade destinations for Wallace, Colbert shot back that they have no intention of trading Wallace at any point. Wallace will report...likely shortly after camp breaks (which happens two days before preseason game #2 against the Colts), and he will likely have a shiny long-term contract in his hand before the start of the regular season.

He won't have a new contract if he is still looking for more than the $9M+ that was previously offered. If that is what he wants then he will be playing for his tender of $2.7M.

DukieBoy
08-08-2012, 09:24 PM
From this article:
http://www.wtae.com/sports/steelers/Steelers-hear-the-voice-in-transition-year-for-franchise/-/11793880/16018184/-/b9l2kvz/-/index.html#ixzz22zKXrHd3

The voice.

"This organization is unique," says Cotchery, who was with the Jets before heading to Pittsburgh. "It has a certain way of doing things over a long period that works, and they stick to it. And the result: six Super Bowls. And working on more.

"I appreciate the tradition and the history of this organization and the way they have carried themselves. That drew me to the organization; they are loyal to their guys.

"To me, the voice is kept here. No one else comes in with a different voice and no one talks over this voice. It's the Steelers voice."

Hoping Wallace hears the voice. I think he will.

Read more: http://www.wtae.com/sports/steelers/Steelers-hear-the-voice-in-transition-year-for-franchise/-/11793880/16018184/-/b9l2kvz/-/index.html#ixzz230Y45hrU

fordfixer
08-09-2012, 01:33 AM
With Wallace out, Sanders catching up
About Alan Robinson
Tribune-Review Sports reporter Alan Robinson can be reached via e-mail or at 888-PIT-TRIB.
http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2371934-85/sanders-brown-wallace-roethlisberger-yards-ben-catches-starting-camp-catching

By Alan Robinson

Published: Thursday, August 9, 2012
Updated 1 hour ago

Receiver Emmanuel Sanders still has some catching up to do.

He’d like to get a jump on it when the Steelers open their preseason schedule Thursday in Philadelphia. It will be one of those blink-and-they’re gone nights for the starters, but Sanders said every second on the field is important.

If only because, with the unsigned Mike Wallace still not in camp, Sanders is starting at the “X” position, which usually is manned by the top downfield threat. He also has moved up to No. 2 on quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s checkdown list, behind the newly rich Antonio Brown.

Be it only an exhibition game, but Sanders is replacing Wallace as a starter for the first time since Wallace’s contract dispute began.

“Unfortunately Mike isn’t here, and we want him here because I feel he’s a great asset to this receiving corps,” Sanders said. “But if he’s not here, it’s an opportunity for me to gain chemistry with Ben and prove that I can make plays out there.”

Sanders has done that at times during his first two seasons. He had a team-high six catches for 81 yards during the Steelers’ 29-23 playoff loss to Denver on Jan. 8.

Go back 21⁄2 years, and it was Sanders — not Brown — who would have been projected to be a starter by now and not just by default. Sanders, from SMU, was a third-round pick, while Brown, from Central Michigan, lasted until the Steelers’ second pick of the sixth round.

Predictably, Sanders’ rookie statistics (28 catches, 376 yards, two touchdowns) eclipsed Brown’s (16 catches, 167 yards, no TDs). But Sanders broke his right foot in the Super Bowl loss to Green Bay, then needed surgery on his left foot during the offseason.

Sanders missed five games to injury before finishing with 22 receptions for 288 yards and two touchdowns last season. With Sanders hurt part of the time and Wallace in a second-half slump, Brown broke through as Roethlisberger’s primary target, finishing with 69 catches for 1,108 yards and two touchdowns.

As a result, Brown, not Wallace or Sanders, signed a $42.5 million contract two weeks ago.

Motivated by his opportunity — and perhaps by the money Brown will make — Sanders is emerging during camp as more than just a complementary receiver. He caught four touchdown passes during practice Saturday, and it is becoming evident Roethlisberger is confident the ball will be caught if he throws it Sanders’ way.

“He’s starting to get comfortable with us, Antonio, Jerricho (Cotchery) and all of us,” Sanders said.

Roethlisberger, 30, is having a strong camp, and, according to Sanders, “Ben is starting to come into his prime.”

“We’re starting to definitely get a lot closer,” Sanders said. “It’s like a girlfriend-boyfriend relationship in some kind of weird way. But that’s how it is — you’ve got to have that chemistry, got to understand each other so you are on the same page.”

RuthlessBurgher
08-09-2012, 12:26 PM
From this article:
http://www.wtae.com/sports/steelers/Steelers-hear-the-voice-in-transition-year-for-franchise/-/11793880/16018184/-/b9l2kvz/-/index.html#ixzz22zKXrHd3

The voice.

"This organization is unique," says Cotchery, who was with the Jets before heading to Pittsburgh. "It has a certain way of doing things over a long period that works, and they stick to it. And the result: six Super Bowls. And working on more.

"I appreciate the tradition and the history of this organization and the way they have carried themselves. That drew me to the organization; they are loyal to their guys.

"To me, the voice is kept here. No one else comes in with a different voice and no one talks over this voice. It's the Steelers voice."

Hoping Wallace hears the voice. I think he will.

Read more: http://www.wtae.com/sports/steelers/Steelers-hear-the-voice-in-transition-year-for-franchise/-/11793880/16018184/-/b9l2kvz/-/index.html#ixzz230Y45hrU

The voice from Cotchery's previous team was louder.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/341/022/ryanbigmouth1_display_image.jpg?1281643293

hawaiiansteel
09-01-2012, 11:32 PM
La Canfora: A deal between Mike Wallace, Steelers becoming more unlikely

By Eye on Football staff
September 1, 2012

http://cbssports.com/images/blogs/mike-wallace-ike-taylor-pit.jpg

It's still possible for Wallace to get a long-term deal before the season starts.

The following is a report from CBSSports.com's NFL Insider Jason La Canfora. Follow him on Twitter at @JasonLaCanfora.

The Steelers and receiver Mike Wallace will continue contract dialogue this week, but chances of an extension look slim for now, according to league sources.

The Steelers do not engage in contract talks in-season, and that will not change. As we have been reporting for months, Wallace could land a five-year deal worth roughly $50 million with at least half of that guaranteed, but he has been fixated on making $11 million a season or more.

The sides have re-established a dialogue after Wallace ended his holdout but have yet to bridge their gap. Should Wallace accept that the $10-million per season is fair, then a deal is possible prior to their opener next Sunday. But otherwise he stares at the prospect of playing this season for less than $3 million and then could be franchised in 2013 and 2014.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/20011243/la-canfora-a-deal-between-mike-wallace-steelers-becoming-more-unlikely

BradshawsHairdresser
09-01-2012, 11:53 PM
He could be franchised for two years following this season? Didn't know that. I assumed he could only be franchised for one year.

SteelCrazy
09-02-2012, 12:22 AM
I think they can franchise a player 3 times...may be 4 and beyond

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/03/next-franchise-tag-battle-could-be-three-tag-limit/

JDSteeler
09-02-2012, 09:33 AM
"Why so STUPID"!!!?

Wallace is just plain STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His brain must be the size of a peanut!!

He'll have financial security with a long term deal, and not have to
worry about getting franchised for several years, making about the
same or even less...

I just can't grasp how utterly DUMB this dumb@$$ is!!!!!

JD

aggiebones
09-03-2012, 01:45 PM
The extra million he is asking for, ain't gonna break the Steelers.

BUT if they concede to his demands, then they will attract more of that. So NO WAY do you give him 1 F'ing penny more. And if he fights, then right him for 2 years where he earns less than they were offering. Then let him go. It will cost him about 7 mil over 2 years and expose him to considerable unnecessary risk.
Let a fool be a fool.

hawaiiansteel
09-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Ed: Wallace Says Ben's Arm Stronger

MONDAY, 03 SEPTEMBER 2012 14:28 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Here is a question-and-answer session with Mike Wallace today. Emmanuel Sanders told me he expects Wallace to start in Denver and play a lot. Wallace said today went well.

Q. On his first day practicing:
WALLACE: It just feels good to be back with my teammates, just to be out there learning the offense I like where I’m at but I still have a way to go.

Q. On difference practicing here:
WALLACE: Lot of faces, lot of smiles, lot of sweat. I like all that. It’s fun being with these guys. I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.

Q. On the difference in speed of the game:
WALLACE: I haven’t been with Ben in awhile. His arm is stronger than when we left last year. He was throwing that thing pretty far. He can throw a lot better than coach [Tom] Shaw.

Q. Did you have any questions on the plays?
WALLACE: Not today, I’m not going to say it’s going to be like that every day, but not today. I had a pretty good grasp of what we were doing. That was one day. I don’t know how it’s going to be like Wednesday but today I was pretty good.

Q. On running shorter routes:
WALLACE: I have to know everything, I can’t just run down the field. I have to do be able to do short, long, I want to do it all. Today was a good start for me. We have a way to go but today’s only Monday. We’ll see Wednesday how it feels.

Q. On whether he’ll be in a lot of plays:
WALLACE: I’m just happy to be out there. I’ll run all day until they tell me to come out. I need the extra work anyway.

Q. On wide receivers coach Scottie Montgomery working with him on Friday and Saturday:
WALLACE: He gave me a good jump. He loves working anyway. He didn’t want me to go home, he wanted to keep me in there. All those days and those hours really helped me.

Q. On whether the Steelers might limit the plays he must know this week:
WALLACE: I don’t know, but I don’t think they should have to do that. I like where I am today. I’m excited about it, I don’t think they have to hold back too much.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117877-ed-wallace-says-bens-arm-stronger

hawaiiansteel
09-05-2012, 04:54 PM
posted by Dale Lolley

Tues, Sept. 4, 2012

@ It's beginning to look like Mike Wallace will start over Emmanuel Sanders. That's a surprising move by Tomlin, who usually likes to send messages through his actions.

I'm sure the fact that Wallace spent all day Friday and Saturday with receivers coach Scottie Montgomery had something to do with the decision.

@ The Steelers, by the way, continue to try to bang out a new deal for Wallace.

This could go down to the wire. A couple of years ago, the Steelers had strong safety Troy Polamalu sign his new deal on the plane before takeoff for their regular season opener.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/