07-24-2012, 04:05 PM
Reportedly 5 yrs 42 Million 20 guaranteed

RuthlessBurgher
07-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Woo hoo!!!!

Report: Steelers and WR Mike Wallace Agree on Five-Year Deal
July 24th, 2012
Matt Loede

The Steelers have already wrapped up Mike Tomlin, and now it looks like they have done the same with their leading wide out.

Channel 11 is Pittsburgh is reporting the Steelers and wide out Mike Wallace have agreed to 5 yearr deal. The amount it took to get him – $42 million with $20m guaranteed.

Wallace last season had 72 grabs for 1193 yards with 8 touchdowns.

http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2012/07/24/report-steelers-and-wr-mike-wallace-agree-on-five-year-deal/

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_tRlky1tMPAI/ShREqTOK2MI/AAAAAAAAC1c/UCm-MBe6LV4/s400/hooray.jpg

Steelhere10
07-24-2012, 04:12 PM
It was tweeted by Wexell , who have since removed the tweet.

Gus
07-24-2012, 04:18 PM

It is not on WPXI's website.

Gus
07-24-2012, 04:23 PM
It is not on WPXI's website.

Unfortunately, Mark Kaboly has tweeted this:

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib (http://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib)
@MarkMaddenX (http://twitter.com/MarkMaddenX) -- I am not sure how it got out, but absolutely no deal in in place.

RuthlessBurgher
07-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Hopefully it turns out to be true. I predicted a 5 year, $43 million dollar Crosby-esque contract in the past, so I'll accept these terms if that what it turns out to be.

http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/37689-Steelers-Rooney-on-Wallace-He-should-be-here/page11?highlight=crosby

I suggested a while back that Mike Wallace's contract could end up looking like Sidney Crosby's last contract (which he should be extending next week for 10 more years). Sid's last deal was for 5 years, $43.5 million ($8.7 million per year).

D Rock
07-24-2012, 05:08 PM
that would be a steal if he signed for that. It seemed too good to be true...then I read further into the thread and realized it was too good to be true.

squidkid
07-24-2012, 05:37 PM
hope its not true................too much money for what wallace brings to thne table and how we will lose other players next year because of the cap hit.

D Rock
07-24-2012, 06:04 PM
hope its not true................too much money for what wallace brings to thne table and how we will lose other players next year because of the cap hit.

Which players would they lose next year?

Antonio Brown? Restricted free agent.

Ramon Foster and Doug Legursky? Backups who can be had cheap.

Keenan Lewis? This year will determine a lot for him, but he still shouldn't be expensive based on his career so far

Rashard Mendenhall? RBs don't cost a ton, and it remains to be seen if they will even want him back depending on how the other guys perform this year.

There are couple other RFAs, but that's not an issue. There really wont be any pressing issues of players to resign next year which will demand a lot of salary cap space.

Slapstick
07-24-2012, 06:17 PM
that would be a steal if he signed for that. It seemed too good to be true...then I read further into the thread and realized it was too good to be true.

Hardly a steal...

A fair deal? Sure...

But $20 mil guaranteed is absolutely not a steal...

D Rock
07-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Hardly a steal...

A fair deal? Sure...

But $20 mil guaranteed is absolutely not a steal...

check out the list of salaries I posted in the thread about what people want wallace to sign for....

A player with his level of production for an average of 8.4M/yr absolutely is a steal.

Eddie Spaghetti
07-24-2012, 06:25 PM

we wont lose anybody the steelers want to keep.

the chicken little mentality of the board amuses the hell out of me.

D Rock
07-24-2012, 06:36 PM
For reference:

Pierre Garcon signed a 5 yr deal for 42.5M, with 20.5M guaranteed.

flippy
07-24-2012, 06:57 PM

Nice work by Wallace and his agent. I got the $42 Million part right. I just thought it would be 6 years and $12M guaranteed. The Steelers must think very highly of Mike Wallace because they really caved on this contract taking into consideration his tender and the relative value of contracts signed by other WRs recently.

Just glad it's done. Now lets go win some SuperBowls!!!!!!!

Wooooohooooooo!!!!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
07-24-2012, 07:00 PM
For reference:

Pierre Garcon signed a 5 yr deal for 42.5M, with 20.5M guaranteed.

Dan Snyder is paying Pierre Garcon top-notch WR money, and will likely get Antwaan Randle El 2.0 (i.e. a solid complementary piece who is miscast as a difference-maker).

If we paid Mike Wallace the same top-notch WR money, we'd get a top-notch WR. Sounds like a good deal to me.

RuthlessBurgher
07-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Nice work by Wallace and his agent. I got the $42 Million part right. I just thought it would be 6 years and $12M guaranteed. The Steelers must think very highly of Mike Wallace because they really caved on this contract taking into consideration his tender and the relative value of contracts signed by other WRs recently.

Just glad it's done. Now lets go win some SuperBowls!!!!!!!

Wooooohooooooo!!!!!!!

Guess flippy didn't get past the first entry on this thread, eh?

flippy
07-24-2012, 07:22 PM
Guess flippy didn't get past the first entry on this thread, eh?

I'm a reactor :oops:

I went back and read the rest and now I'm glum.

flippy
07-24-2012, 07:27 PM
First Mike Wallace doesn't sign yet and then I just heard George Jefferson died. Can anyone lay any more bad news on me in the next 2 minutes?

ramblinjim
07-24-2012, 07:28 PM
you didn't win the powerball?

D Rock
07-24-2012, 07:46 PM
all the rooms at the holiday inn express are booked for the night

RuthlessBurgher
07-24-2012, 07:51 PM
First Mike Wallace doesn't sign yet and then I just heard George Jefferson died. Can anyone lay any more bad news on me in the next 2 minutes?

Sherman's really movin' on up today...to a Deee-Luxe apartment in the sky...R.I.P.

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs6/2511919_o.gif

RuthlessBurgher
07-24-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm a reactor :oops:.

Don't be a "NUCULAR" reactor. ;)

http://phys.kent.edu/~michelle/nucular_cartoon.gif

DukieBoy
07-24-2012, 09:37 PM
all the rooms at the holiday inn express are booked for the night

This, in fact, just happened to me tonight in Coralville Iowa, just outside of Iowa City.

Slapstick
07-24-2012, 10:12 PM
check out the list of salaries I posted in the thread about what people want wallace to sign for....

A player with his level of production for an average of 8.4M/yr absolutely is a steal.

I checked out the list and, as I said, $20 million guaranteed isn't a steal...

We will have to simply disagree...

RuthlessBurgher
07-25-2012, 10:05 AM
Looks like Weslye Saunders had some premature Twitteration of his own regarding the Wallace contract/non-contract:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/24/steelers-tight-end-weslye-saunders-says-mike-wallace-has-new-deal/

Steelers tight end Weslye Saunders says Mike Wallace has new deal
Posted by Mike Florio on July 24, 2012, 5:57 PM EDT

Coach Mike Tomlin may not be the only Steelers employee to get a new contract on Tuesday.

He also may not be the only Steelers employee named “Mike” to get a new contract on Tuesday.

Tight end Weslye Saunders has congratulated receiver Mike Wallace on a new contract via a Twitter message. Saunders later tried to put the toothpaste back in the Twitter tube.

So apparently I may have jumped the gun about Mike and the new deal. Just pretend I ain't say nothin lol #CarryOn

Weslye Saunders (@Wes_Saunders88) July 24, 2012

Wallace, a restricted free agent, has received a one-year tender worth $2.7 million. The Steelers opted not to reduce the tender dramatically on June 15, even though they could have.

The Steelers report for training camp on Tuesday. It’s still unknown whether Wallace will be there.

Perhaps the bigger question for now is whether Saunders will be.

UPDATE 6:00 p.m. ET: Saunders’ tweet may have come from inside information, or it may have come from an apparently erroneous report that Wallace has a new deal. Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that Wallace does not yet have a new contract.

flippy
07-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Good sign seeing Saunders happy. He must be pretty confident that he fits in the long term plans.

C'Mon Wally, sign the contract already.

Iron Shiek
07-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Like Wallace said, don't believe everything the media -- or his teammates -- are saying. Once he is in camp and the team has released an official statement, then I'll be happy.

Oviedo
07-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Like Wallace said, don't believe everything the media -- or his teammates -- are saying. Once he is in camp and the team has released an official statement, then I'll be happy.

Me too, but we may have to wait a very long time to be happy. I'm not sure this ends soon. Let's hope it does.

grotonsteel
07-25-2012, 11:46 AM
8 million/yr for MW is a good deal for Steelers. It was a win-win situation. Hopefully MW is signed to a long term deal by Steelers pretty soon.

D Rock
07-25-2012, 12:31 PM
I checked out the list and, as I said, $20 million guaranteed isn't a steal...

We will have to simply disagree...

What about the 20 million guaranteed don't you like?

for the sake of easy numbers, if that is a 20 million signing bonus over 5 years it is only 4 million a year. take that down to 10 million and throw in a couple roster or workout bonuses in say years 2 and 3, then in years 4 and 5 that leaves 2 million per year in prorated signing bonus. If for whatever reason Mike Wallace has lost it by age 29, you can cut him and only owe that 4 million over 2 years. I don't see why 20 million guaranteed is an issue.

Slapstick
07-25-2012, 02:25 PM
What about the 20 million guaranteed don't you like?

for the sake of easy numbers, if that is a 20 million signing bonus over 5 years it is only 4 million a year. take that down to 10 million and throw in a couple roster or workout bonuses in say years 2 and 3, then in years 4 and 5 that leaves 2 million per year in prorated signing bonus. If for whatever reason Mike Wallace has lost it by age 29, you can cut him and only owe that 4 million over 2 years. I don't see why 20 million guaranteed is an issue.

It's not an issue. I would have absolutely no problem with $20 million guaranteed for a Wallace deal.

It's just not a steal....

Slapstick
07-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Looks like Weslye Saunders had some premature Twitteration of his own regarding the Wallace contract/non-contract:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/24/steelers-tight-end-weslye-saunders-says-mike-wallace-has-new-deal/

Steelers tight end Weslye Saunders says Mike Wallace has new deal
Posted by Mike Florio on July 24, 2012, 5:57 PM EDT

Coach Mike Tomlin may not be the only Steelers employee to get a new contract on Tuesday.

He also may not be the only Steelers employee named “Mike” to get a new contract on Tuesday.

Tight end Weslye Saunders has congratulated receiver Mike Wallace on a new contract via a Twitter message. Saunders later tried to put the toothpaste back in the Twitter tube.

Wallace, a restricted free agent, has received a one-year tender worth $2.7 million. The Steelers opted not to reduce the tender dramatically on June 15, even though they could have.

The Steelers report for training camp on Tuesday. It’s still unknown whether Wallace will be there.

Perhaps the bigger question for now is whether Saunders will be.

UPDATE 6:00 p.m. ET: Saunders’ tweet may have come from inside information, or it may have come from an apparently erroneous report that Wallace has a new deal. Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that Wallace does not yet have a new contract.

Saunders probably follows Wexell...

aggiebones
07-25-2012, 03:51 PM
20mil is no steal, but the contract is friendlier after that. And it won't be a clean 20M, but easily attainable if he is healthy.

No deal is done, but it is waiting to be signed the day before camp. In case he goes out and gets drunk and hits a tree...like I might do if someone gave me $20M guaranteed.

Oviedo
07-25-2012, 04:00 PM
Wallace is officially a "no show." The Steelers have shut down talking to him. As far as they are concerned he should not exist and move on until his butt is on the football field.

Wallace a no-show; Steelers suspend negotiations

July 25, 2012 3:45 pm
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Mike Wallace took another stand when he did not report to training camp on time, and now apparently the Steelers will take one of their own as the contract impasse between the two sides takes a new turn.
The Steelers will suspend negotiations on a multiple-year contract until Wallace signs his one-year tender and reports to the team, a club source said. As a restricted free agent, Wallace was offered a one-year contract worth $2.472 million last March but he remains the only RFA in the NFL who has not signed.
Wallace, who made the Pro Bowl in his third season last year, cannot practice until he is under contract, either by signing the one-year tender or by signing another contract offered by the team that has now been basically rescinded.
The stance of ending negotiations for a holdout has been taken by the team before, most recently when Hines Ward held out for the first two weeks of the 2005 training camp. However, Ward had one year left on his contract at the time and was pressing for a new one. After ending his holdout, negotiations resumed and he received a four-year extension three weeks later.
Steelers president Art Rooney II declined comment on the situation Wednesday during a press conference to formally announce the signing of first-round draft choice David DeCastro. In June, Rooney told the Post-Gazette, regarding Wallace's absence from all spring activities, "He should be here."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/wallace-a-no-show-steelers-suspend-negotiations-646152/#ixzz21fMayIJL (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/wallace-a-no-show-steelers-suspend-negotiations-646152/#ixzz21fMayIJL)

RuthlessBurgher
07-25-2012, 04:15 PM
If players are due in camp by 4:00 p.m., how is Bouchette stating that Wallace is officially a no show as of 3:45 p.m.? Is this one of those Tom Coughlin "if you are not 15 minutes early, then you are late" sort of things?

Gus
07-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Wallace is officially a "no show." The Steelers have shut down talking to him. As far as they are concerned he should not exist and move on until his butt is on the football field.

He couldn't even show at this point if he wanted to without signing the tender offer. So basically, he's not a "no show." He's not currently under contract.

Hopefully, this gets resolved quickly.

Slapstick
07-25-2012, 04:25 PM
He couldn't even show at this point if he wanted to without signing the tender offer. So basically, he's not a "no show." He's not currently under contract.

Hopefully, this gets resolved quickly.

Wallace may wait until after training camp to sign his tender and report...if so, negotiations will be suspended until that time...they will then have the remainder of the preseason to work out a long term deal, because the Steelers don't negotiate during the season...

There is still time to get a multi-year deal done, but I'm not going to hold my breath...

Oviedo
07-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Wallace may wait until after training camp to sign his tender and report...if so, negotiations will be suspended until that time...they will then have the remainder of the preseason to work out a long term deal, because the Steelers don't negotiate during the season...

There is still time to get a multi-year deal done, but I'm not going to hold my breath...

You don't reward a guy by negotiating when he isn't around. If he doesn't show until the start of the season they he should have to play for his tender offer.

Slapstick
07-25-2012, 05:21 PM
You don't reward a guy by negotiating when he isn't around. If he doesn't show until the start of the season they he should have to play for his tender offer.

If he doesn't show up until the start of the season, that's what will happen...the Steelers will negotiate right up to the beginning of their first game (see Polamalu's contract), but once the season officially starts for the team, that's it...

Oviedo
07-25-2012, 05:23 PM
If he doesn't show up until the start of the season, that's what will happen...the Steelers will negotiate right up to the beginning of their first game (see Polamalu's contract), but once the season officially starts for the team, that's it...

If I recall Troy was at training camp? Am I misremembering?

No Wallace at camp then no talkie to agent!!!!!!!!

Slapstick
07-25-2012, 05:27 PM
If I recall Troy was at training camp? Am I misremembering?

No Wallace at camp then no talkie to agent!!!!!!!!

You misunderstand me...

Once Wallace reports, negotiations can begin again anc continue until the first game of the season...

Wallace is shortening his own negotiating window...