PDA

View Full Version : Do Steelers Sports Writers Suck?

flippy
07-24-2012, 06:24 AM
Every article I've read in the past weeks have pretty much talked about the following:

1. Mike Wallace contract issues
2. The new playbook
3. The new Oline
4. The departure of old stars
5. The injuries
6. The rookies
7. Max Starks is back
8. Who will be the #2 CB

Or some remix of the above. There's nothing new. No originality. It's like these guys write these articles without leaving their living room and talking to anyone.

It's the same story from 20 different reporters. I can't wait for camp to start so there's something new to talk about. The Steelers sports media seems to do a word scramble with one article and just reorders the same words.

Ugh. Give me something new. I'd even take an in depth interview with David Johnson right now. Just don't ask him about the 8 topics being written about in every other article.

D Rock
07-24-2012, 07:06 AM
All sports writers suck. There are basically two options:

pump out something unoriginal

-or-

Try and have a really clever one-liner ending that ends up being really cheesy

flippy
07-24-2012, 07:13 AM
All sports writers suck. There are basically two options:

pump out something unoriginal

-or-

Try and have a really clever one-liner ending that ends up being really cheesy

Maybe it's an "and". They all try to be overly cute and regurgitate the same info in some new way. Every once in a while, the one-liners are funny, but that's few and far between.

Maybe that's the positive way to look at it. If it makes me laugh, it's well done.

Oviedo
07-24-2012, 07:50 AM
Very few writers have real "inside" information. For the Steelers there is a lot of recycling other peoples thoughts.

flippy
07-24-2012, 08:56 AM
Very few writers have real "inside" information. For the Steelers there is a lot of recycling other peoples thoughts.

Not sure if its an offseason or slow season, but I've really noticed how bad it is over the last few days. It feels like everyone copied the same article.

phillyesq
07-24-2012, 09:24 AM
At this point in the offseason, sportswriters have to cater to those that haven't followed closely and provide a sort of re-introduction for training camp. With that said, I think the Steelers sportswriters are a mixed bag.

I like Wexell and Lolley. Bouchette and the PG guys are ok. Harris and Kaboly are abysmal. Not only is Kaboly seemingly always wrong, he's a bit cowardly. He was the one who reported on twitter in late May/early June that Starks was not going to be resigned, but that report was deleted immediately after the resigning was announced. If you are wrong, you are wrong. Just admit it and move forward.

Mister Pittsburgh
07-24-2012, 12:21 PM
Bouchette gets on my nerves as he comes off with a better than you, smug attitude.

flippy
07-24-2012, 02:04 PM
Bouchette gets on my nerves as he comes off with a better than you, smug attitude.

I always read his stuff thinking he hates his job.

williar
07-24-2012, 02:20 PM
I thought it was just me. Since I live out of town I assumed that I just "didn't get it". When I go online to some of these local online paper threads and click on (steelers news) I get more articles about the dolphins,titans, bears, bengals, etc. than I do about the steelers. If there is a steeler article it is usually some meaningless (snippet) always leaving me with, why did I even bother. I learn more about the steelers from comments I read on message boards than any local sports writer perspective.