PDA

View Full Version : Redman may not be the starting RB.....

steelerkeylargo
07-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Hearing some players are quietly saying J.Dwyer will push Redman and could be Haley's first choice. Interesting. I hope so!!! A little competition brings out the best.

Sugar
07-23-2012, 04:33 PM
I don't really care who the starter is. Just start the best guy- at every position.

Slapstick
07-23-2012, 05:16 PM
I don't really care who the starter is. Just start the best guy- at every position.

Ditto.

While I have a lot of faith in Redman, the reality is that all of the RBs will need to contribute for the offense to reach its full potential...

Eich
07-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Fine by me. I already think that Redman is better than Spindenhall. If Dwyer is better than Redman, plug him in !

Discipline of Steel
07-23-2012, 06:18 PM
Redman has heart. That may be too much for Dwyer to overcome.

steelfin
07-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Hearing some players are quietly saying J.Dwyer will push Redman and could be Haley's first choice. Interesting. I hope so!!! A little competition brings out the best.

And what player(s) is that? Dwyer maybe... :-)

Camp hasn't even started..Haley hasn't seen anyone in pads and there is very limited game tape of Dwyer... I am not saying that I dont want to see legitimate competition at the RB position, but I am just not sure how we can be talking about this based on where we are at in the process.

IMO, barring injury, Redman will be the starter....For some reason, he doesn't get the credit he deserves....

SidSmythe
07-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Lets wait and see how Dwyer shows up to camp. I wouldn't count him out....he's got talent and 2 yrs under his belt.

Notleadpoisoned
07-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Hearing some players are quietly saying J.Dwyer will push Redman and could be Haley's first choice.
Unless Haley plans on installing some kind of triple-option attack to the offense I just don't see Dwyer beating out Redman for the starting job.

Djfan
07-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Redman has heart. That may be too much for Dwyer to overcome.

This is the issue with Redman, and against Dwyer. I hope we have the best four backs in history really. Let them all compete against each other. But, Redman has a LOT of "want to", while Dwyer has a lot of ??? Upside??

Snatch98
07-23-2012, 08:15 PM
Fine by me. I already think that Redman is better than Spindenhall. If Dwyer is better than Redman, plug him in !

Personally I'm tried of reading this. Yes Redman plowed the hell out of any hole he saw and I wished Mendenhall would do the same but Mendenhall sees the cut back lanes etc that Redman doesn't see and because of our spotty line play Redman ran better at time. Mendenhall behind a vastly improved line IMO is a top 8 back in the NFL. Hopefully we get a chance to see what he's capable of behind a solid line.

Sugar
07-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Baron Batch could start for all I care. It really doesn't matter to me. Just put the best out there the most, that's all I ask. While Redman may be the starter going into camp, minds get changed during camp. It's not exactly uncommon that somebody wins or loses a job in camp.

That's nothing for or against Redman or any of them. No dog in the hunt for me.

NorthCoast
07-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Personally I'm tried of reading this. Yes Redman plowed the hell out of any hole he saw and I wished Mendenhall would do the same but Mendenhall sees the cut back lanes etc that Redman doesn't see and because of our spotty line play Redman ran better at time. Mendenhall behind a vastly improved line IMO is a top 8 back in the NFL. Hopefully we get a chance to see what he's capable of behind a solid line.

It's what you do with what you got, not what could happen if given ____... Redman did more with less, Mendenhall did less with less....

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-23-2012, 10:16 PM
We know what we have with Redman, but Dwyer is more of an enigma. Lots of talent, lots of potential, but has shown little drive up until now. If he does win the starting spot it means to me that the extra work that he was supposedly doing this off-season has paid off and we have a brand new back in our lineup. If this is the case then I welcome it.

Slapstick
07-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Personally I'm tried of reading this. Yes Redman plowed the hell out of any hole he saw and I wished Mendenhall would do the same but Mendenhall sees the cut back lanes etc that Redman doesn't see and because of our spotty line play Redman ran better at time.

I disagree.

When Redman carried the ball on 1st and 2nd down, he saw cutback lanes just fine and took advantage, as evidenced in the Browns and Broncos playoff games...

A lot of his carries came in short yardage situations, where the thought is simply "move the chains" and cutback lanes aren't a concern...

Redman does not have Mendenhall's speed, however....

8467thekraken
07-23-2012, 11:01 PM
I am pulling for Dwyer all the way. His upside is huge and if he puts it together, we have ourselves a bell cow back. With Redman backing him up and Batch/Rainey in the mix, that is a serious backfield.

Naturally, the team needs to field the best squad they can. And nothing against any of the other backs. I just hope it's Dwyer getting the nod.

D Rock
07-23-2012, 11:19 PM
Redman is going to rack up 430 yards and 6 TDs through the first 4 games and we are going to forget this thread ever existed.

SteelCrazy
07-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Dwyer has a lot of raw talent, but he is lazy. He is always over weight and sluggish. If he shows up to camp in shape and motivated, well its a no brainer to start him, until he loses it mentally.

Ghost
07-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Dwyer was considered as high as a second round pick coming out of college until he showed up at the NFL combine fat, slower, and out of shape - dropped like a bag of bricks in the draft. Losing millions of dollars wasn't enough of a wake up call for him and he repeated this as a rookie. In my opinion, if Batch doesn't blow out his kness, Dwyer gets cut. So after losing millions, barely making the team, and not even dressing for games, what's he do next - show up at camp so out of shape he can't finish Tomlin's conditioning drills - as a running back....

You have to hope that there is even a light to turn on for him. I mean, what the hell? I'm hoping he's got it straightened out in his mind and realizes he won't get a better opportunity ever in the NFL - new coach, new playbook, #1 guy out for an extended time, and open competition for being the starter (or major contributor). 4th time's a charm? :rolleyes:

SteelAddicted
07-24-2012, 08:53 AM

Totally agree! Dwyer has a great college highlight tape and does possess the homerun option. So... if he can win the starting role he'll probably pose more of a threat to score. But whoever wins will obviously be the best choice.

flippy
07-24-2012, 08:54 AM
I've never been big on Dwyer. I love Redman, but wonder if he can avoid the fumbles.

I wouldn't mind seeing Rainey and Batch competing for the #1 spot.

RB are a dime a dozen. Plug em in and rookies can be successful.

feltdizz
07-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Dwyer has a lot of raw talent, but he is lazy. He is always over weight and sluggish. If he shows up to camp in shape and motivated, well its a no brainer to start him, until he loses it mentally.

I think Dwyer has to do a lot more than show up in shape to earn the starting job... showing up in shape shouldn't be applauded... it's expected.

Chadman
07-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Big, beefy interior OL, emphasis on a renewed ground game...winter football in Pittsburgh...

Everyone's forgotten John Clay?

aggiebones
07-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Frankly this topic is ridiculous and the title is a random opinion.
Redman starts barring injury. And you better pray nothing happens to him cause we have a splattering of other backs with some talent. But none of them are going to handle 15-20 carries a week.
Clay is pretty much a plodding nobody though he could linger as a backup for a couple years.
Batch and Rainey can't handle a heavy workload, but will be nice compliment backs.
Dwyer has been dodging the Turk for a couple years.
He'll be on the team, but will again be an afterthought.
If he had to carry 15 times in a game, he'd need to be put on life support after the game. His 'talent' has been over-valued for years by a select group of Steelers fans. Dude is limited in many ways. He always has a nice first play, then rolls into the fetal position if he has to have back to back plays.

feltdizz
07-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Frankly this topic is ridiculous and the title is a random opinion.
Redman starts barring injury. And you better pray nothing happens to him cause we have a splattering of other backs with some talent. But none of them are going to handle 15-20 carries a week.
Clay is pretty much a plodding nobody though he could linger as a backup for a couple years.
Batch and Rainey can't handle a heavy workload, but will be nice compliment backs.
Dwyer has been dodging the Turk for a couple years.
He'll be on the team, but will again be an afterthought.
If he had to carry 15 times in a game, he'd need to be put on life support after the game. His 'talent' has been over-valued for years by a select group of Steelers fans. Dude is limited in many ways. He always has a nice first play, then rolls into the fetal position if he has to have back to back plays.

I agree... I know Largo gets good info but it sure seems like Redman has to prove himself time and time again while every other unproven RB needs little more then a heartbeat in order to take over as the starter.

Shoe
07-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Redman is going to rack up 430 yards and 6 TDs through the first 4 games and we are going to forget this thread ever existed.

That is what I'm envisioning/hoping for too.

TBH, I have very high hopes for Redman. I liken his situation to Barry Foster way back when. Now, it would be unrealistic to expect Redman to break the single-season team record for rushing (like Foster did), but I think the potential to take the job is there.

I would be DISAPPOINTED if Redman isn't the Week 1 starter and bellcow.

Shawn
07-24-2012, 12:53 PM

Agreed. I believe Dwyer has about as much chance starting (barring injury) as I do.

Eich
07-24-2012, 01:02 PM
Eich][/B]Fine by me. I already think that Redman is better than Spindenhall. If Dwyer is better than Redman, plug him in !

Personally, I got tired of watching Mendy spin and dance to try to avoid first contact rather than picking a hole and hitting it. I think Mendy is a better athlete than Redman and is quicker, faster and able to cut more drastically but all that talented seemed to get stifled at the line rather than unleashed.

Shawn
07-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Eich I hear what you are saying. I think with our old OL, that Redman was actually the clear choice to start. Behind that line, I believe Redman to be the more effective back. But, behind this OL? Woo wee...I would love to see Mendenhall run behind these guys. He needs holes, and some space...and if you give it to him he can be a top back in this league.

NorthCoast
07-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Eich I hear what you are saying. I think with our old OL, that Redman was actually the clear choice to start. Behind that line, I believe Redman to be the more effective back. But, behind this OL? Woo wee...I would love to see Mendenhall run behind these guys. He needs holes, and some space...and if you give it to him he can be a top back in this league.

I sorta agree with this, but looking back, I seen plenty of times the holes were there, Mendy just plain didnt see them or took the wrong cut. I question his vision at times. Odd thing is he ran pretty well behind a full back that led the way.

RuthlessBurgher
07-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Give me less talent, but a hunger for football, over more talent, but a hunger for nachos.

If Dwyer shows up in shape and motivated, he'll get his shot. But how in the world can any of the coaches consider Dwyer to be their first choice coming out of OTA's and minicamps where there is no hitting allowed?

An in-shape Dwyer is going to look better than an in-shape Redman while in shorts every day of the week. But NFL football is not played in shorts. Let's see what happens when the bullets are live. I know that Redman can take a hit from NFL players, get up, and ask for more. All I know about Dwyer is that he can run through a gaping hole untouched and still get caught from behind.

Would I like to see Dwyer step it up and compete? Certainly! Do I expect it? Well...he'll have to show me. My view has been that if Mendenhall never blew out his knee at the end of last season, our RB corps for this year would be Mendenhall, Redman, Batch, and Rainey, with both Dwyer and Clay on the outside looking in. Now, with Mendenhall on the shelf for the start of the season, Dwyer has his shot to prove that he is a legit NFL back, and not just a triple option college back with some nice YouTube clips. I hope he emerges...we'll see soon enough...after all, players report TOMORROW!!!

:Beer

Oviedo
07-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Give me less talent, but a hunger for football, over more talent, but a hunger for nachos.

If Dwyer shows up in shape and motivated, he'll get his shot. But how in the world can any of the coaches consider Dwyer to be their first choice coming out of OTA's and minicamps where there is no hitting allowed?

An in-shape Dwyer is going to look better than an in-shape Redman while in shorts every day of the week. But NFL football is not played in shorts. Let's see what happens when the bullets are live. I know that Redman can take a hit from NFL players, get up, and ask for more. All I know about Dwyer is that he can run through a gaping hole untouched and still get caught from behind.

Would I like to see Dwyer step it up and compete? Certainly! Do I expect it? Well...he'll have to show me. My view has been that if Mendenhall never blew out his knee at the end of last season, our RB corps for this year would be Mendenhall, Redman, Batch, and Rainey, with both Dwyer and Clay on the outside looking in. Now, with Mendenhall on the shelf for the start of the season, Dwyer has his shot to prove that he is a legit NFL back, and not just a triple option college back with some nice YouTube clips. I hope he emerges...we'll see soon enough...after all, players report TOMORROW!!!

:Beer

I understand what you are saying but when the desire is equal talent always wins out in the long run. Redman is a feel good story and a decent NFL back but is he a difference maker...I'm not convinced. IMO he is holding the seat warm until Mendy comes back. Wouldn't be the first or last time I'm wrong but I think he will do OK but not great.

Shawn
07-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Big, beefy interior OL, emphasis on a renewed ground game...winter football in Pittsburgh...

Everyone's forgotten John Clay?

Clay is overrated as a power back. He runs much lighter than his size. I would take Redman everyday of the week and twice on Sundays. :)

Slapstick
07-24-2012, 10:09 PM
I understand what you are saying but when the desire is equal talent always wins out in the long run. Redman is a feel good story and a decent NFL back but is he a difference maker...I'm not convinced. IMO he is holding the seat warm until Mendy comes back. Wouldn't be the first or last time I'm wrong but I think he will do OK but not great.

That is the key portion of the statement...

Eich
07-25-2012, 08:12 AM
That is the key portion of the statement...

Yes, and it not JUST Desire. There's more to it than that. It's also heart, courage, confidence and mental toughness. You can't coach those. I'm not saying Mendy doesn't have any of that. I'm saying that for whatever reason, it feels like Redman has more of it than Mendy at this point. And I can't help but think that coming back from an ACL isn't going to do wonders for any of those intangibles. To me, Mendy felt tentative at times. And now, a knee is in the back of his mind.

feltdizz
07-25-2012, 08:52 AM

Thank goodness you aren't the one Redman needs to convince. LOL

phillyesq
07-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Clay is overrated as a power back. He runs much lighter than his size. I would take Redman everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

I agree. Clay hasn't impressed me at all.

Sugar
07-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Well, I guess the coaches will get to see all of this and make their choices. Just put the best guys out there, I don't care what their names are.

aggiebones
07-25-2012, 03:58 PM
Redman has shown no weakness in getting necessary yards, whether short yardage or grabbing 6 yards here and there and always keeps the chains moving. No he can't go the distance, but that is relatively rare anyway. Mendi has shown to be clearly better in some aspects and may be a more productive overall RB, but it is not by much and Redman won't fail on ANY plays...unlike Mendi.

Dwyer has exaggerated talent by a few on these boards. He's shown very little outside of 4th Q preseason or preseason games meaning little. He has shown ALL the bad products you don't want in football player MANY times.
Get him the 'F out of da Burgh before his attitude spreads. Give him to the Browns or similar program. This is not a guy we need. He is not going to become a legit starting RB in the league, nor can he be counted on for extended spot duty. He has no redeeming qualities.

hawaiiansteel
07-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Well, I guess the coaches will get to see all of this and make their choices. Just put the best guys out there, I don't care what their names are.

you mean you would rather have the Steelers coaches decide this than us message board geniuses?

preposterous...:D

Shoe
07-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Dwyer has exaggerated talent by a few on these boards. He's shown very little outside of 4th Q preseason or preseason games meaning little. He has shown ALL the bad products you don't want in football player MANY times.
Get him the 'F out of da Burgh before his attitude spreads. Give him to the Browns or similar program. This is not a guy we need. He is not going to become a legit starting RB in the league, nor can he be counted on for extended spot duty. He has no redeeming qualities.

You hit the nail right on the head with Dwyer... and it's why I've never been high on him. Coming into his final year in college, he was on the radar of all the scouts. He was generally touted as a potential 1st round pick.

Now, when that's the case, eyes are on you. Basically, they aren't going to miss on you. Even if you have a subpar season, they've watched you enough, that they still will be willing to use a premium pick (i.e. 1st to 3rd round) on you.

In Dwyer's case, he fell all the way to the 6th. Why? Well basically, all the scouts who's job it was to (among other players) evaluate this player, didn't think he was worthy. That's not to say he can't be a contributor (e.g. that one game he came in and produced for us), but in terms of taking a starting job and running with it? I personally don't see it.

Oviedo
07-25-2012, 05:07 PM
You hit the nail right on the head with Dwyer... and it's why I've never been high on him. Coming into his final year in college, he was on the radar of all the scouts. He was generally touted as a potential 1st round pick.

Now, when that's the case, eyes are on you. Basically, they aren't going to miss on you. Even if you have a subpar season, they've watched you enough, that they still will be willing to use a premium pick (i.e. 1st to 3rd round) on you.

In Dwyer's case, he fell all the way to the 6th. Why? Well basically, all the scouts who's job it was to (among other players) evaluate this player, didn't think he was worthy. That's not to say he can't be a contributor (e.g. that one game he came in and produced for us), but in terms of taking a starting job and running with it? I personally don't see it.

Two years ago would you have ever thought Redman would be entering the season as the "presumed" starter??????

Slapstick
07-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Two years ago would you have ever thought Redman would be entering the season as the "presumed" starter??????

A lot happened in two years...

Oviedo
07-25-2012, 05:12 PM
A lot happened in two years...

Yea, Mendy got hurt. Let's not forget that is the only reason Redman is the "presumed" starter. If Mendy is healthy he is the starter.

Slapstick
07-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Yea, Mendy got hurt. Let's not forget that is the only reason Redman is the "presumed" starter. If Mendy is healthy he is the starter.

Mendenhall is the 1st round draft pick and has been the starter for the last several years...of course he's the starter...

Redman is the "presumed" starter simply because he performed well when his number was called over the last two years...

Sugar
07-25-2012, 08:59 PM

I sure wouldn't have. Isn't this the same guy that wasn't in game shape and pulled himself- drawing Coach's ire? He's turned things around and it's something to be proud of. Of course, I'm a little surprised that people think that Dwyer couldn't do the same thing. I guess life IS like a box of chocolates, lol.

feltdizz
07-25-2012, 09:34 PM

No... but during these 2 years we have witnessed Redman run over opponents and score a game winning TD in Baltimore.

Once we see Dwyer consistently produce it wouldn't be shocking to see him starting if the starting RB goes down.

The other concern with Dwyer is his blocking... Redman was the best blocking RB on the roster when Mend was healthy...

Shoe
07-26-2012, 02:08 PM

I'm just saying that scout's are trained professionals. They miss of course... but their job is to delve in, sift through circumstance, and see potential in any football player. I'm not saying that Dwyer can't... I'm just saying that he was under the microscope, they really looked at him... and for a guy of Dwyer's physical attributes... if they think they can land a blue-chip RB, they aren't likely to let that guy slide to the 6th round.

Oviedo
07-26-2012, 03:01 PM
I'm just saying that scout's are trained professionals. They miss of course... but their job is to delve in, sift through circumstance, and see potential in any football player. I'm not saying that Dwyer can't... I'm just saying that he was under the microscope, they really looked at him... and for a guy of Dwyer's physical attributes... if they think they can land a blue-chip RB, they aren't likely to let that guy slide to the 6th round.

Its all about taking advanatage of situations. Dwyer could have done better. Maybe now he realizes that. There are lots of RBs drafted higher than Dwyer who aren't in the NFL so it isn't an exact science. IMO this is the season that Dwyer puts it together. It will be fun to watch.

aggiebones
07-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Why would you think that? You sound like his parents.

He dropped in the draft because his skill wasn't good enough to carry his mental flaws. Then his mental flaws come shining through as predicted. He never looked like Earl Campbell with a bad attitude. He was maybe Bam Morris at best. So are we really fighting to turn around some hump so we can have Bam Morris...
He better show ALOT or I'd say can him and bring in someone that represents the attitude of the Steelers before he rubs off on someone else.

Sugar
07-26-2012, 05:41 PM
Why would you think that? You sound like his parents.

He dropped in the draft because his skill wasn't good enough to carry his mental flaws. Then his mental flaws come shining through as predicted. He never looked like Earl Campbell with a bad attitude. He was maybe Bam Morris at best. So are we really fighting to turn around some hump so we can have Bam Morris...
He better show ALOT or I'd say can him and bring in someone that represents the attitude of the Steelers before he rubs off on someone else.

It's hard to know, of course. However, he wouldn't be the first kid to not take his talent as seriously as he should at first. That doesn't mean he can't. The guy isn't even 25 yet. He's already purportedly in the best shape he's ever been in so I'd say that's a start.

hawaiiansteel
07-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Redman has come a long way for Steelers

JUL 29, 2012
Associated Press

Now that he's become their starting running back, Pittsburgh Steelers coaches can laugh about how Isaac Redman tanked in his first impression during an NFL training camp.

As a nervous undrafted rookie from Division II Bowie State three years ago, Redman almost failing the annual first-day-of-camp conditioning test wasn't as funny.

''I was out of shape,'' Redman recalled on Sunday at St. Vincent College. ''I didn't really look like too much.''

Within two weeks, though, Redman was evolving into one of the stars of training camp. Three years after that, Redman is in line to start the Steelers' season opener in Denver Sept. 9.

Redman has gradually worked his way up the Pittsburgh depth chart and, with starter Rashard Mendenhall on the physically unable to perform list while he continues recovery from a torn ACL, Redman has gone from longshot, unknown rookie to featured back.

''It's just crazy how time changes,'' Redman said.

As poor as Redman's performance was during that conditioning test on the afternoon he reported to his first NFL training camp, all was soon forgotten among coaches and fans when Redman quickly showed his skill for getting into the end zone.

The 6-foot, 230-pound Redman scored five times in a goal-line drill during a practice that was open to the public early during his 2009 rookie training camp. He scored two touchdowns in the preseason opener for the Steelers, who were then the defending Super Bowl champions.

The career rushing leader at Bowie State, Redman didn't make Pittsburgh's active roster that season but was signed to the practice squad and dressed for one game.

''Fast forward to now, and ... I'm here coming in as No. 1 on the depth chart,'' Redman said. ''I feel like a totally different player, I feel like a professional. I'm taking on a leadership role in the running back room, guys are looking up to me. When I came in I was looking up to Willie Parker and Rashard and those guys, Mewelde (Moore). And now I got a bunch of young guys looking at me for advice.''

Behind Redman on the depth chart are youngsters Jonathan Dwyer (eight career games), John Clay (two games), rookie Chris Rainey and second-year Baron Batch, who tore an ACL early in his rookie training camp last year.

Redman briefly was knocked out of practice Sunday, shaken up after a block. The Steelers' most physical back, Redman's early goal-line prowess was a sign of things to come.

''It takes a team to hit that guy,'' linebacker LaMarr Woodley said.

''You can't just think that when you hit him he's falling down, because he's spinning and fighting for extra yards.''

Redman made his first career start last season, but it wasn't until Mendenhall went down in the regular-season finale at Cleveland on Jan. 1. He had a career-high 92 rushing yards and a touchdown, but the best was yet to come.

Making his first career postseason start the following week at Denver, Redman became just the fourth undrafted running back to rush for more than 100 yards in a playoff game.

Redman's game-high 121 yards on 17 carries perhaps was a factor in Steelers management's decision not to pursue a veteran running back over the offseason. Even with Mendenhall's status in limbo for the start of the season, Pittsburgh let Moore go.

With only a young stable of inexperienced backs behind him, the message was clear: The Steelers have faith in Redman to carry the load.

''Coming from Bowie State, nobody really even thought that I would amount to anything here, so I know any good that I did would probably spark a lot of people,'' Redman said. ''It was a lot easier to impress people then. Now, coming in, everybody's looking at me to be a No. 1 back and all eyes are on me, so it's kind of different from when I first came in until now.''

Redman irked some veteran teammates three years ago when he spiked the ball after a touchdown during a goal-line drill as a rookie. He earned their respect through his work ethic, aggressive running style and commitment to the dirtier aspects of his job such as blocking.

''He sees the hole, he hits the hole, and he runs hard,'' tight end Heath Miller said. ''And I think that's infectious about the whole offense when you see a guy that runs this hard and fights for every yard as hard as he does.''

During a ''backs-on-'backers'' drill Saturday, coaches lined up the ''main event'' finale as Redman vs. Woodley, who is one of the game's premier pass-rushers. Woodley conceded that, under a format that can be trying on a running back, Redman held his own.

''I don't think people fully realize he was a former state champion in wrestling,'' cornerback Ike Taylor said of Redman. ''So he's hard to bring down. And he's got that `man mentality.'

''Isaac is just, in a word, tough.''

NOTES: Monday is a day off for the players. ... WR Emmanuel Sanders was held out of Sunday's practice as a precaution. Last season, Sanders was hampered by a foot injury and the rainy week led to the Steelers practicing on an artificial turf field. ... CB Keenan Lewis left practice early due to a shoulder sprain that will be evaluated. ... LT Trai Essex and rookie RG David DeCastro also were forced out of practice but coach Mike Tomlin indicated they will be back for the team's next workout Tuesday.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/redman_has_come_a_long_way_for_steelers/11327812

RuthlessBurgher
08-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Mendenhall, teammates battle through ACL injuries

LATROBE, Pa. (AP) Seven months to the day after tearing the ACL in his right knee, Rashard Mendenhall said on Wednesday that he's "right on schedule" with his rehabilitation.

When asked if he has any idea what, exactly, that schedule entails, the Pittsburgh Steelers running back responded, "No, none at all."

Join the club. After all, uncertainty surrounding recovery from ligament reconstruction surgery is a trend for the Steelers.

Mendenhall is one of three veteran Pittsburgh starters who sustained torn ACLs in January. Nose tackle Casey Hampton and offensive tackle Max Starks each went down during Pittsburgh's wild card playoff loss in Denver Jan. 8.

Because of the position he plays and the sometimes-violent pressure placed on lateral movement of the knee by a running back, Mendenhall's recovery is being monitored most closely.

"He has to cut harder," said Hampton, who is rehabilitating from a torn ACL for the third time, "and have more confidence in his knee before he comes back."

Hampton said the previous experience he has recovering from that surgery gives him an advantage over Mendenhall. Hampton sustained the injury in 1997 while in college at Texas, and again in 2004 with the Steelers (No. 7 in the AP Pro32). This is the second time he tore the ACL in his left knee; in 2004, it was his right knee.

Hampton, who was on the field stretching with his teammates for the afternoon practice Wednesday, said Mendenhall will be tentative when he first takes part in contact drills.

"No question he will be," Hampton said. "And that's how I was when I tore mine, too. That's just how it is because you've just never had it before.

"I know I'm not going to tear anything again. (Mendenhall) might know it - but might not be as confident, you know what I mean?"

Mendenhall, apparently, doesn't. The Steelers first-round pick in 2008 said he has heard others talk about the mental block of "trusting" the reconstructed knee to be able to handle the extraordinary stress playing professional football places on it.

He just says he's not experiencing any of that anxiety.

"Mentally, it hasn't been difficult at all," Mendenhall said. "It's really just getting your leg back to normal."

Fellow Steelers running back Baron Batch sustained the ACL injury Aug. 11 of last season. To that point, he had been making an impression as a standout rookie.

It wasn't until almost a full calendar year later that Batch put on a set of shoulder pads for practice (this past Saturday). Batch said that, going into that practice, he decided he was going to make the same lateral cut he did when he was injured 50 weeks prior.

"Being able to do that," Batch said, "helps with confidence."

Tomlin praised Batch for showing no hesitation with the knee. Mendenhall isn't even to that point yet where he would test the knee during practice. Like Starks and Hampton, he is on the physically unable to perform list. Mendenhall has been working out away from the players for the most part, although he has jogged along the back of the end zone during at least one team practice.

"It's hard to say, as far as percentage or how much I'm pushing things, but everything that we've done so far... has been successful," Mendenhall said. "So just taking steps as we go along."

Mendenhall had only 928 rushing yards last season before the injury in the regular-season finale, though he did have nine touchdowns. His 13 rushing touchdowns in 2010 ranked tied for second in the NFL; his 1,273 rushing yards that season were fifth-most in the AFC.

Mendenhall resisted putting any timetable for his return to the practice field, let alone to game action. Hampton said his goal is to play in the regular-season opener Sept. 9 at Denver.

Starks said he hasn't set a projected return from the PUP list or a goal for suiting up in a game. Starks became a free agent soon after tearing the ACL in his right knee against the Broncos.

Pittsburgh drafted Mike Adams with its second-round pick to be its left tackle of the future. Satisfied with the progress of Starks' rehabilitation, the Steelers signed him a week before camp began to provide insurance.

The affable Starks has often been on the sidelines during practices at St. Vincent College.

"It's been day-to-day," Starks said of the rehabilitation, "just testing everything to make sure we're not rushing it too soon."

Starks is ahead of the pace he was on last season, when was unsigned until Oct. 5. He started at left tackle four days later and kept the job the remainder of the season.

NOTES: QB Ben Roethlisberger revealed he has a minor torn rotator cuff injury sustained in a loss to Baltimore in November. Other than not throwing as much prior to practice, Roethlisberger has not been limited by the ailment. When asked if Roethlisberger's arm causes the team any concern, Tomlin answered, "None." ... S Damon Cromartie-Smith was taken off the PUP list and practiced for the first time on Wednesday. ... LB LaMarr Woodley did not practice, but is not injured. Tomlin said he is giving days off to selected veterans who have history of injury to "preserve" them. ... RB John Clay (groin) and RB Chris Rainey (heat exhaustion) did not finish practice.

http://stats.sfgate.com/fb/story.asp?i=20120801191426760930708&ref=hea&tm=&src=

steelerkeylargo
09-03-2012, 04:34 PM
:Beer:Beer

NorthCoast
09-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Hampton, who was on the field stretching with his teammates for the afternoon practice Wednesday, said Mendenhall will be tentative when he first takes part in contact drills.

"No question he will be," Hampton said. "And that's how I was when I tore mine, too. That's just how it is because you've just never had it before.

A tentative Mendenhall is not going to be an effective Mendenhall. The kid already had tentative tendencies when picking a hole to run through. Plus, Mendenhall has not shown the ability to break from that first tackler and one has to wonder if this injury will exacerbate his tendencies.

lloydroid
09-03-2012, 10:26 PM
A tentative Mendenhall is not going to be an effective Mendenhall. The kid already had tentative tendencies when picking a hole to run through. Plus, Mendenhall has not shown the ability to break from that first tackler and one has to wonder if this injury will exacerbate his tendencies.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. That's precisely what I have been saying all along.

NJ-STEELER
09-03-2012, 10:43 PM
FWIW, in the games i saw this preseason, the OL was doing a much better job of opening some holes for the RBs

if that is indeed the case, im excited to see what medny can do with that. if he continues the spinning stuff then he probably wont be back next year

Oviedo
09-04-2012, 07:24 AM
FWIW, in the games i saw this preseason, the OL was doing a much better job of opening some holes for the RBs

if that is indeed the case, im excited to see what medny can do with that. if he continues the spinning stuff then he probably wont be back next year

Absolutley. Any hesitation on Mendy's part was largely due to a lack of holes to run through primarily because of the crap interior line play. Colon should help that. Unfortunately Foster will still be on the other side. Run left...a whole lot.

Sugar
09-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Absolutley. Any hesitation on Mendy's part was largely due to a lack of holes to run through primarily because of the crap interior line play. Colon should help that. Unfortunately Foster will still be on the other side. Run left...a whole lot.

I think this is a fair assessment. Mendy is a good RB IMO, but he was trying to find a hole instead of trying to make one. That's his style, so hopefully if there actually is a hole to hit, he can do it.

RuthlessBurgher
09-04-2012, 12:38 PM

??? Run left?

We would have run left a-plenty if DeCastro was healthy, because DeCastro dominated at Stanford by pulling left from his RG spot and leading the RB through the hole on the left side. Without DeCastro out now, we won't likely be doing much of that at all anymore. We should, however, continue to run G-power to the right side, since Willie Colon has displayed the ability to pull right from his LG spot and eliminate defenders on the second level.

Oviedo
09-04-2012, 01:08 PM
??? Run left?

We would have run left a-plenty if DeCastro was healthy, because DeCastro dominated at Stanford by pulling left from his RG spot and leading the RB through the hole on the left side. Without DeCastro out now, we won't likely be doing much of that at all anymore. We should, however, continue to run G-power to the right side, since Willie Colon has displayed the ability to pull right from his LG spot and eliminate defenders on the second level.

You obviously have a copy of the playbook that I didn't get but the intent of my statement was run behind Colon not Foster. If that is G-Power then G-Power their asses all day long.

RuthlessBurgher
09-04-2012, 01:20 PM
You obviously have a copy of the playbook that I didn't get but the intent of my statement was run behind Colon not Foster. If that is G-Power then G-Power their asses all day long.

G-Power runs behind Foster AND Colon. Foster directs his man inside, Gilbert directs his man outside, and Colon pulls right from his LG spot to blast a hole between them. The RB follows Colon. It's the play were Faneca pulled right and allowed Willie Parker to go untouched for 75 yards and a TD in SBXL.

Oviedo
09-04-2012, 01:46 PM
G-Power runs behind Foster AND Colon. Foster directs his man inside, Gilbert directs his man outside, and Colon pulls right from his LG spot to blast a hole between them. The RB follows Colon. It's the play were Faneca pulled right and allowed Willie Parker to go untouched for 75 yards and a TD in SBXL.

I don't care if they call it "Hickery Dickery Dock," the bottomline is follow Colon not Foster! The latter hasn't worked for two years and won't this year either.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-04-2012, 04:17 PM
According to this site, the Steelers haven't ruled out Mendy as a starter at RB vs. the Donks:

CBSSports.com (blog)

Oviedo
09-04-2012, 04:19 PM
According to this site, the Steelers haven't ruled out Mendy as a starter at RB vs. the Donks:

CBSSports.com (blog)

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dwyer start some games and Redman others depending on the opponents and what their strengths are. For example, if Haley's gameplan plans on a lot of short passes early then Dwyer starts. If he wants to run early Redman starts. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

BradshawsHairdresser
09-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Here's the link on the possible Mendenhall start this Sunday:
www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20049751/steelers-notebook-mike-wallace-and-rashard-mendenhall-might-play-in-opener (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20049751/steelers-notebook-mike-wallace-and-rashard-mendenhall-might-play-in-opener)

steelfin
09-04-2012, 10:14 PM
www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20049751/steelers-notebook-mike-wallace-and-rashard-mendenhall-might-play-in-opener (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20049751/steelers-notebook-mike-wallace-and-rashard-mendenhall-might-play-in-opener)

This has to be a smoke screen...How much has he even practiced???

We are fine with IR and JD in the backfield...

Slapstick
09-04-2012, 10:36 PM

It says nothing in that article about Rashard possibly starting...it only mentions that, if he isn't ruled out, he may possibly play...

Two different things...

BradshawsHairdresser
09-05-2012, 12:08 AM
It says nothing in that article about Rashard possibly starting...it only mentions that, if he isn't ruled out, he may possibly play...

Two different things...

http://pit.scout.com/2/1218050.html"]http://pit.scout.com/2/1218050.html

Oh ye of little faith....

aggiebones
09-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Tomlin likes to leave carrots. And Mendy knows that you give another guy a shot at your job, you may not get it back.
Redman performed VERY well against Denver in the playoffs. That image doesn't vanish easily (for intelligent people), especially if its backed up by another one.

hawaiiansteel
09-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Ed: Redman Says Steelers Have 3 Feature Backs

WEDNESDAY, 05 SEPTEMBER 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Isaac Redman still isn’t sure who will start at halfback in Denver, but he says his health is pretty good. His hip/groin injury no longer bothers him and his ankle, injured in the third preseason game, is better.

“Right now I’m just trying to get my body right to carry the load if that’s what the coaches need,’’ Redman said before practice today. “I’m pretty close, I’m feeling pretty good and each day I’m getting better.”

Redman believes with everyone healthy, the Steelers have three potential feature backs – him, Rashard Mendenhall and Jonathan Dwyer.

“With me, Rashard and Dwyer, we have three guys who could be feature running backs. There’s never a problem with that when you have three guys running the football.”

This will be Redman’s second straight start. He ran for 121 yards on 17 carries in the playoff loss at Denver. The Broncos defense has changed since then under new coordinator Jack DelRio.

“They’re a 4-3 team this year, last year a 3-4. It really doesn’t make a difference, the same guys are out there, a good defense, good linebackers, great rush men.”

Redman said his ankle injury “will probably nag for most of the year, maybe half, but the way I’m feeling right now, I’m getting better and better every day.’’

A few other things:

--- Rookie linebacker Sean Spence was scheduled to have surgery on his injured knee today.

--- The Steelers will have a different special teams captain for every game. They named two permanent captains on Monday, Ben Roethlisberger and Brett Keisel.

--- I thought the NFL would have to go farther back to find a team that had as many as 34 years of experience at quarterback as the Steelers do with their three. You have to go back only one year. The Colts had 34 last season with Kerry Collins, Peyton Manning and Curtis Painter all on their active roster.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117905-ed-redman-says-steelers-have-3-feature-backs

RuthlessBurgher
09-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Rashard Mendenhall steps closer to playing
Posted by Josh Alper on September 5, 2012, 5:18 PM EDT

No one gave Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall much chance of making it back from a torn ACL in time to play in the Steelers’ season opener, but he took a big step toward doing just that on Wednesday.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that Mendenhall, who got rave reviews from the Steelers after Monday’s practice, went through a full practice with the team again on Wednesday. That includes 11-on-11 drills, practice time that is usually reserved for players that are expected to play a role in that week’s game. Per Bouchette, Mendenhall wore no brace or band on his knee as he went through the session.

Getting back on the field after having surgery to repair his injury in January would be awully fast, but Mendenhall has been taking steps faster than anticipated all throughout the offseason. There were fears that he’d miss the entire season then that he would start the year on the PUP list. Even when he was activated from the PUP list, the thought was that Mendenhall would be a bystander for the first few weeks of the season.

Now it looks like Mendenhall’s got a shot at playing against the Broncos. Or at least that the Steelers want the Broncos to think he’s got a shot at playing. We’d say he’s likely to play a supporting role to Jonathan Dwyer or Isaac Redman if he does play, but, at this point, it’s probably best to just wait and see what Mendenhall can do next.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/05/rashard-mendenhall-steps-closer-to-playing/

hawaiiansteel
09-06-2012, 02:55 AM
Tomlin getting everybody ready to start at RB in Denver

September 5th, 2012
By Mark Kaboly | Tribune-Review

Isaac Redman said his ready to go, but his sore ankle might be an issue the entire season; Jonathan Dwyer is practicing like he is going to start Sunday’s opener in Denver; and Rashard Mendenhall is looking like he is close to 100 percent back from his January ACL surgery.

But the only man who matters isn’t showing his cards quite yet.

The Steelers practice for the first time Wednesday in preparation for Sunday’s opener, and when it came to reps with the running backs, Mike Tomlin gave everybody first-team reps – one at a time.

“Everybody is getting a rep and everybody is getting a look because you never know what’s going to happen,” Dwyer said. “(Runnng back) coach Kirby (Wilson) just wants everybody to get some reps.”

Dwyer confirmed that all the running backs were rotating in after one rep during team periods with the first team – Dwyer, Redman, Baron Batch, Mendenhall and Chris Rainey was the order.

“We all know what we are doing,” Dwyer said.

Does Dwyer read anything into being the first man in that rotation?

“Well, Isaac is still coming back from his situation,” Dwyer said. “He is looking pretty good. Everybody is looking good, everybody is ready. I am prepared to be the starter or the backup. Whatever they want me to do.”

Dwyer doesn’t know if he will start against the Broncos, but said he would be thrilled to get that opportunity.

“You wouldn’t be human if you weren’t excited,” Dwyer said.

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2012/09/05/tomlin-getting-everybody-ready-to-start-at-rb-in-denver/

hawaiiansteel
09-07-2012, 03:00 AM
Steelers in capable hands with Redman

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/timesonline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/1/e7/1e76ea72-68a9-5571-9098-9fa15aaee9bb/5047f1d9d9518.preview-300.jpg

Isaac Redman (33) enjoyed a huge game his last time time in Denver ... until overtime.

Posted: Wednesday, September 5, 2012
By Mike Bires

PITTSBURGH -- Just as overtime began in last season’s wild-card game in Denver, Isaac Redman visualized the game-winning score. In his mind’s eye, he saw himself crossing the goal line with the ball in his hand.

But as Redman limbered up, fully expecting the defense to hold, he heard the home crowd erupt in joy. Just 11 seconds into OT, Tim Tebow threw an 80-yard TD pass to Demaryius Thomas that stunned the Steelers, 29-23.

“I was actually visualizing scoring a touchdown as (Thomas) was running for the touchdown,” Redman said.

“I wasn’t even watching the play. I was on the sideline stretching and getting my legs together. I visualized me and my teammates celebrating in the end zone. But then I heard the crowd going crazy. I turned around, I saw what was happening and said ‘Oh, man.’”

All of a sudden, the Steelers’ championship hopes were dashed and Redman’s terrific performance in Denver became a postscript in the post-game analysis. The Steelers getting Tebowed was the big story of wild-card weekend.

But Redman’s coaches and teammates didn’t forget what he did that day against the Broncos.

Starting at running back due to Rashard Mendenhall’s knee injury, Redman played the game of his life. On 17 carries, he gained 121 yards. He caught two passes for 21 yards. In his first playoff start, he averaged 7.5 yards a touch.

No wonder the Steelers feel good about Redman’s chances of starring again Sunday night in their 2012 regular-season opener at Sports Authority Field at Mile High.

“He definitely played well in Denver last year. That’s a reason why he’s getting the nod coming into this season as the starter,” right guard Ramon Foster said. “He runs hard and we like blocking for the guy.”

Of course, the main reason Redman is slated to start Sunday night against the Broncos is that Mendenhall, a starter the past three seasons, is still on the road to recovery.

After tearing up his knee in the regular-season finale last year in Cleveland, Mendenhall is progressing well ahead of schedule. He’s progressed so well that coach Mike Tomlin hasn’t ruled him out of Sunday’s game. On Wednesday, Mendenhall was a full practice participant. Still, with player safety such an issue in the NFL right now, it’s hard to imagine Tomlin even dressing Mendenhall against the Broncos.

“He’s looking good,” Redman said of Mendenhall. “He has his base. He has his speed. He’s cutting. Whenever it’s time for him to come back … I’m sure he will be back as soon as he can.”

In the meantime, Redman figures to be the lead dog in a running back by committee that includes Jonathan Dwyer, Chris Rainey and Baron Batch.

“I visualize our corps of running backs being known around the league as one of the best groups of running backs in the league,” said Redman, a third-year pro who, at 27, is the oldest of the Steelers running backs.

Redman, who missed two of the four preseason games with groin and ankle injuries, is ready to do his part. He said he feels good after taking part in Wednesday’s practice without limitation.

“Last year in that game in Denver, I wanted to show all the coaches I was capable of playing well in a big-game setting,” he said. “I just went out there and played my heart out.

“This game, I’m looking forward to going out there and picking right back up where I left off. I think I proved I can run the ball when given the chance. I look at this opportunity to show the coaches I can be the No. 1 back for a long stretch of time. As far as who keeps the (starting) job when Rashard comes back, I just want to show the coaches that I’m capable of being No. 1.”

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/steelers-in-capable-hands-with-redman/article_ff7b7bed-e34c-50be-8155-2bf131e33663.html

Pops8
09-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Ed B. on Pro Football Talk about Mendy and Wallace - they come up second after a blurb about Panthers:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/22825103/vp/48934911#48934911

hawaiiansteel
09-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Steelers RBs wait for call on starter

September 8, 2012
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://d4493f2df0d1b95cfc62-773cd17a86049dd672fafb96394debed.r5.cf2.rackcdn.co m/2012/251/804/isaac-redman_420.jpg

The Steelers' Isaac Redman, shown here scoring against Buffalo in the preseason, is a likely starter for tomorrow's regular season opener. But Redman said nobody has told him he is the starter.

Since he became coach in 2007, Mike Tomlin has not been afraid to use one running back until the wheels came off. And sometimes they did.

Willie Parker was leading the league with 321 carries in '07 when he fractured his leg in Week 15 in St. Louis. Rashard Mendenhall was one of just five NFL backs to have more than 300 carries when he had 324 in '10.

In the five years under Tomlin and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, the Steelers' top running back never had to worry about getting the bulk of the work, whether it was Parker or Mendenhall. The team's leading rusher averaged 263.2 carries a season in those five years.

That, though, might all change under Todd Haley, who used the running back-by-committee approach in Kansas City and looks as if he might want to do the same with the Steelers.

"As of right now, we've been switching out every play [in practice]," said running back Isaac Redman. "It looks like they might want to use us as a group instead of one guy."

Redman would appear to be the top back after stepping in for injured Mendenhall last season and rushing for 121 yards in the playoff loss in Denver. And, when the Steelers return to Sports Authority Field and open the regular season against Peyton Manning and the Broncos Sunday night, Redman likely will be the starting running back.

But Redman said nobody has told him he is the starter. What's more, it is possible Jonathan Dwyer, who led all rushers in the preseason and has been the team's most-improved player, could start against the Broncos. But nobody has told him, either.

Regardless who it is, the mere idea there appears to be no clear-cut starter is evidence of the approach Haley wants to use with his backs. And testament to the progress made by Dwyer in his third season.

"We have a plan and we're excited about the group," Haley said. "When Rashard gets back, whenever that happens, whether it's this week or next week, we got a nice variable at the back. We got some big guys who can move piles, we got some quick guys and we got some in-between guys."

Haley said he didn't know much about Dwyer when he came here after three years as head coach in Kansas City. But, after what he witnessed in the preseason, when Dwyer reported to training camp in shape and led the team in rushing, Haley said he saw "a young developing player who's made big strides from last year."

He said he also saw Dwyer working with younger running backs in practice, another sign of his maturation.

"It's a real encouraging sign of a kid who has grown up and realizes it's his third year," Haley said. "And that becomes the make-it or break-it time."

Dwyer reported to training camp weighing 236 pounds, considerably lighter than last season when he reported out of shape and his weight was "way above that, that's all I can say."

But, in addition to leading the team in preseason rushing, Dwyer made two plays in the third game in Buffalo that caught the attention of Tomlin and his coaching staff.

On one, Dwyer broke off a wheel route to make a 33-yard, back-shoulder catch on third down from the Steelers 3 to jump-start a 98-yard scoring drive.

On the other, he picked up a blitzing defender that allowed Byron Leftwich to throw a 39-yard touchdown to Antonio Brown.

"I wanted to go by what I saw, and everything I've seen is a young, developing player that's made big strides from last year to this year."

"I wanted to show I could do more, not just be a one-trick pony," said Dwyer, a fifth-round choice from Georgia Tech in '10. "I wanted to develop myself as a pass-catcher and a route-runner, and also with pass protection and being more of a student of the game.

"I wanted to develop myself as a professional."

Dwyer could fill the role previously played by Mewelde Moore -- a third-down back who also plays in the two-minute offense. But it won't just be him. Rookie Chris Rainey also will play in situations where the Steelers want to take advantage of his speed and big-play ability.

"I'm excited, not just for me individually; I'm excited I'm able to be a factor in helping us win games," Dwyer said.

"I want to be a part of that after getting a little taste of that last year. It made me more hungry to come in here, be in the proper shape, look my best and do what I have to do to give me an opportunity."

Even if he has to share those opportunities.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-rbs-wait-for-call-on-starter-652353/#ixzz25uP5fDcE