PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign DeCastro

Oviedo
07-23-2012, 02:14 PM
We're all set and ready to roll

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-sign-top-pick-decastro-645883/

birtikidis
07-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Now we know what we can work with in regards to Wallace

Ghost
07-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Lets get to work!!!

flippy
07-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Alrighty then. Let's go get Wallace done and get to work on winning #7!!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
07-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Great news! I heard this morning that Riley Reiff (taken one pick before DeCastro) had signed with Detroit, and since Dont'a Hightower (taken one pick after DeCastro) signed late last week with New England, I knew that it would only be a matter of time for this to get done before players are due to report to Latrobe on Wednesday, since all of the parameters were set.

As for the other player we signed, here is what SI.com had to say about him prior to the draft:

Bridger Buche
Position: G
Class: Sr
School: Eastern Michigan
HT: 6'3"
WT: 305 lbs.
40 Time: 5.3
Conference: MAC

Biography: Three-year starter who also saw limited action with the first team during his freshman season. Experienced at both left and right tackle.

Positives: Hardworking lineman who attacks assignments. Blocks with good lean, quickly gets his hands into defenders and moves well on his feet. Quick off the snap, jolts opponents at the point and plays with leverage.

Negatives: Lacks blocking balance and on the ground too much. Struggles finishing blocks and falls off opponents.

Analysis: Buche is a wide-bodied blocker who takes up a lot of space but also moves well on his feet. He possesses enough skill to get an invite to camp this summer for a zone blocking team.

Projection: FA

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/players/71025.html

http://www.annarbor.com/calendar/photologue/photos/!emufootball/cache/111211-AJC-EMU-vs-Buffalo-football-37_display.JPG

Oviedo
07-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Great news! I heard this morning that Riley Reiff (taken one pick before DeCastro) had signed with Detroit, and since Dont'a Hightower (taken one pick after DeCastro) signed late last week with New England, I knew that it would only be a matter of time for this to get done before players are due to report to Latrobe on Wednesday, since all of the parameters were set.

As for the other player we signed, here is what SI.com had to say about him prior to the draft:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/players/71025.html

http://www.annarbor.com/calendar/photologue/photos/!emufootball/cache/111211-AJC-EMU-vs-Buffalo-football-37_display.JPG

The guy not named DeCastro just seems like a camp body.

RuthlessBurgher
07-23-2012, 03:52 PM
The guy not named DeCastro just seems like a camp body.

Yeah, but a cheaper camp body than Jon Scott.

RuthlessBurgher
07-23-2012, 04:19 PM
DeCastro gets fourth-year roster, workout bonuses
Posted by Mike Florio on July 23, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT

The Steelers were believed to be dug in regarding the question of whether any portion of guard Dave DeCastro’s fourth-year compensation would be guaranteed. In the end, none of it is.

As a practical matter, some of it is.

Per a source with knowledge of the contract between the Steelers and the 24th overall pick in the 2012 draft (which will become official on Tuesday), the Steelers agreed to shift $325,000 of the 2015 pay into a roster bonus that is due on the third day of the league year. Another $100,000 has been moved to a workout bonus.

The Patriots gave linebacker Dont’a Hightower, the 25th pick in the draft, no guarantees or similar devices in the fourth year of the deal. It’s unknown whether and to what extent the Lions did anything other than commit to a non-guaranteed base salary for tackle Riley Reiff, the 23rd overall pick, in year four.

Last year, the 24th pick (Cameron Jordan of the Saints) received no guarantees or similar devices in the fourth year of the deal. The 23rd pick (Eagles guard Danny Watkins) had $100,000 of his 2014 salary shifted to a reporting bonus, per a league source.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/23/decastro-gets-fourth-year-roster-workout-bonuses/

steelfin
07-23-2012, 06:36 PM
Well that is certainly great news....Now what are the chances that the Wallace deal will get done?

I am cautiously optimistic...but for some reason I am not feeling real good about the Wallace situation.

Oviedo
07-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Well that is certainly great news....Now what are the chances that the Wallace deal will get done?

I am cautiously optimistic...but for some reason I am not feeling real good about the Wallace situation.

I think Wallace will hold out most if not all of camp. I hope he is there in two days but that doesn't appear to be his priority. I think he looks at what Vincent Jackson did last and will consider doing the same thing.

Djfan
07-23-2012, 07:53 PM
I agree steelfin. It doesn't look good to me for Wallace. I know nothing more than what I read, but don't like the posturing. I hope I'm wrong.

SteelBucks
07-23-2012, 11:53 PM
No source or link but my gut tells me Wallace will report to camp this week. Too bad my gut is wrong most of the time but let's see how this one plays out.

flippy
07-24-2012, 08:59 AM
DeCastro gets fourth-year roster, workout bonuses
Posted by Mike Florio on July 23, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT

The Steelers were believed to be dug in regarding the question of whether any portion of guard Dave DeCastro’s fourth-year compensation would be guaranteed. In the end, none of it is.

As a practical matter, some of it is.

Per a source with knowledge of the contract between the Steelers and the 24th overall pick in the 2012 draft (which will become official on Tuesday), the Steelers agreed to shift $325,000 of the 2015 pay into a roster bonus that is due on the third day of the league year. Another $100,000 has been moved to a workout bonus.

The Patriots gave linebacker Dont’a Hightower, the 25th pick in the draft, no guarantees or similar devices in the fourth year of the deal. It’s unknown whether and to what extent the Lions did anything other than commit to a non-guaranteed base salary for tackle Riley Reiff, the 23rd overall pick, in year four.

Last year, the 24th pick (Cameron Jordan of the Saints) received no guarantees or similar devices in the fourth year of the deal. The 23rd pick (Eagles guard Danny Watkins) had $100,000 of his 2014 salary shifted to a reporting bonus, per a league source.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/23/decastro-gets-fourth-year-roster-workout-bonuses/

Wonder why we did this? Was there a pragmatic reason for the cap? Or were we being generous because we felt like he fell so far and deserved better?

Slapstick
07-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Wonder why we did this? Was there a pragmatic reason for the cap? Or were we being generous because we felt like he fell so far and deserved better?

If i read the details correctly, the Steelers worked a 5th year option into the contract...it's possible that the extra bonuss in DeCastro's contract were a concession in order to get that 5th year option...historically, the Steelers like to have their rookies for 5 years...

flippy
07-24-2012, 02:07 PM
If i read the details correctly, the Steelers worked a 5th year option into the contract...it's possible that the extra bonuss in DeCastro's contract were a concession in order to get that 5th year option...historically, the Steelers like to have their rookies for 5 years...

Sounds like DD got shafted in that case.

hawaiiansteel
07-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Sounds like DD got shafted in that case.

smart move by the Steelers though...

flippy
07-24-2012, 03:54 PM
smart move by the Steelers though...

agreed. i'm surprised he did it. the steelers get the extra year for peanuts given the expectations of DD and DD should have probably been a top 10 pick and got even better.

hawaiiansteel
07-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Steelers’ Inside The Ropes

By Mark Kaboly
Published: Sunday, July 29, 2012

• The much-anticipated one-on-one live linemen drills took place for the first time Sunday with mixed results from rookies David DeCastro and Mike Adams, who stood up fellow Ohio State alum Cameron Heyward on his first attempt, with Heyward getting even the next time through. Meanwhile, DeCastro didn’t fare as well; Corbin Bryant pushed right through him and to the quarterback on his first attempt.

• A day after “backs on ‘backers,” the Steelers’ competitive session was tight ends on linebackers, with the objective of the tight end setting the edge. While Leonard Pope looked good against backup Brandon Hicks, it was second-year tight end Weslye Saunders who stole the show. Saunders capped his performance by dominating 6-foot-5, 245-pound linebacker Brandon Johnson.

• Tempers continued to flare. Rookie offensive lineman Kelvin Beachum got into a pair of shoving matches, first with Heyward then with Ikponmwosa Igbinosun. After the latter fight was broken up, defensive line coach John Mitchell grabbed Igbinosun and said, “Get back here and shut your mouth; you are getting your butt beat anyway.”

• Isaac Redman is the clear leader of a young running back crew, and he reinforced that when he made rookie Chris Rainey do a drill over because he wasn’t hustling.

• Although their chances of making the team are slim, rookie receivers Jimmy Young and David Gilreath made impressive catches during 11-on-11 drills. Gilreath made a leaping, sprawling catch on a pass over the middle from Charlie Batch before getting hit by Curtis Brown. Later, Young hauled in a long Byron Leftwich pass down the near sideline over Ike Taylor. Young’s helmet came off after impact, but he was able to hold on to the ball.

• Todd Haley’s offense continues to evolve. The Steelers ran a handful of “Tornado” plays, in which they rush to the line of scrimmage without a huddle after a short gain on first down to run another play. The quarterback has the liberty to call “Tornado,” but the play has been scripted into the offense since minicamp.

• Special teams prowess could be the difference between making the team or not. Practicing kickoffs for the first time, the Steelers lined up, from left to right, Andre Freeman, Rainey, Stevenson Sylvester, Will Allen, Sean Spence, Jonathan Dwyer, Ryan Mundy, Chris Carter, Cortez Allen, Curtis Brown and Shaun Suisham.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2288303-85/getting-heyward-rookie-tight-steelers-attempt-brandon-david-decastro-drills

RuthlessBurgher
07-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Special teams prowess could be the difference between making the team or not. Practicing kickoffs for the first time, the Steelers lined up, from left to right, Andre Freeman, Rainey, Stevenson Sylvester, Will Allen, Sean Spence, Jonathan Dwyer, Ryan Mundy, Chris Carter, Cortez Allen, Curtis Brown and Shaun Suisham.

I'm no Captain Kangaroo or anything, but I'd say that the kicker is supposed to be in the middle of the formation when kicking off, not as a gunner on the far right of the kickoff formation. Maybe Dwyer has a better leg than Suisham, and Suisham is a better tackler than Dwyer, though.

:stirpot