PDA

View Full Version : J. Scott bye bye

steelerkeylargo
07-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Will be cut today!!

hawaiiansteel
07-19-2012, 04:49 PM
maybe we needed the money for Mike Wallace's new contract?

steelerkeylargo
07-19-2012, 05:00 PM
I think Mike will have a contract by camp.

hawaiiansteel
07-19-2012, 05:05 PM
I think Mike will have a contract by camp.

seems much more likely now that we have freed up $2.2 million by cutting Jonathan "Rollerskates" Scott.

Steelers Release Offensive Tackle Jonathan Scott

The Steelers released veteran offensive tackle Jonathan Scott, the team announced today.

Scott spent the past two seasons with the Steelers, starting 14 of 28 regular-season games and three of four postseason contests. Prior to joining the Steelers in 2010, Scott spent time with the Buffalo Bills (2008-09) and the Detroit Lions (2006-07). Scott was originally drafted by the Lions in the fifth round (141st overall) of the 2006 NFL Draft out of the University of Texas.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Release-Offensive-Tackle-Jonathan-Scott/442917a8-7bc6-4950-a727-58a1455d21c2

Oviedo
07-19-2012, 05:16 PM
seems much more likely now that we have freed up $2.2 million by cutting Jonathan "Rollerskates" Scott.

Steelers Release Offensive Tackle Jonathan Scott

The Steelers released veteran offensive tackle Jonathan Scott, the team announced today.

Scott spent the past two seasons with the Steelers, starting 14 of 28 regular-season games and three of four postseason contests. Prior to joining the Steelers in 2010, Scott spent time with the Buffalo Bills (2008-09) and the Detroit Lions (2006-07). Scott was originally drafted by the Lions in the fifth round (141st overall) of the 2006 NFL Draft out of the University of Texas.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Release-Offensive-Tackle-Jonathan-Scott/442917a8-7bc6-4950-a727-58a1455d21c2

With Wallace's tender ($2.7M) and Scott's salary ($2.2M) I'm all in if Wallace is signing for $4.9M.

I do not think that is the case though. They probably needed to cut Scott to get the cap space they needed for Starks. Has anyone heard the terms of his contract yet?

RuthlessBurgher
07-19-2012, 06:18 PM
With Wallace's tender ($2.7M) and Scott's salary ($2.2M) I'm all in if Wallace is signing for $4.9M.

I do not think that is the case though. They probably needed to cut Scott to get the cap space they needed for Starks. Has anyone heard the terms of his contract yet?

I have not heard the Starks contract details yet (the picture he tweeted wasn't big enough):

https://instagr.am/p/NMQ9-hufnW//media/?size=l

We already had about $3.5 million in cap room before cutting J. Scott as well. And Wallace's contract will be structured such that he gets a veteran minimum salary in year one (plus the pro-rated portion of whatever the signing bonus turns out to be).

aggiebones
07-19-2012, 07:58 PM
One less tsipper on the team...

ljr
07-20-2012, 03:12 PM
One less tsipper on the team...

... Jets fan here ...

... curious, how bad do all you think Scott is? ... any particular areas that you could break down for me? ...

... i ask because our RT Wayne Hunter is very bad in pass protection ... a couple times a game he gets completely fooled and caused Sanchez to get creamed many times last season ... he has a slow first step and he wasn't able to stay step for step with the speed rushers ... i'd probably say he's borderline below average/average as a run blocker ...

... if money wasn't needed for Wallace would you liked to have kept Scott? ... do you think Scott would be even a slight improvement from one of the worst starting RT's last year? ... finally, do you think other teams would be willing to offer similar $$$ to what you guys were going to pay him ... or do you think we may be able to sign him for a vet minimum salary? ...

... i appreciate any reply :Boobs ...

l_j_r

BradshawsHairdresser
07-20-2012, 03:18 PM
Dang...if we'd known you all were THAT desperate, we'd have probably traded him to you for a draft pick...

ljr
07-20-2012, 03:28 PM
... hahahahaha ... i love our GM Mikey T ... his nickname is Trader Mike though ... so you just might have gotten one :cool: ...

l_j_r

D Rock
07-20-2012, 03:29 PM
... Jets fan here ...

... curious, how bad do all you think Scott is? ... any particular areas that you could break down for me? ...

... i ask because our RT Wayne Hunter is very bad in pass protection ... a couple times a game he gets completely fooled and caused Sanchez to get creamed many times last season ... he has a slow first step and he wasn't able to stay step for step with the speed rushers ... i'd probably say he's borderline below average/average as a run blocker ...

... if money wasn't needed for Wallace would you liked to have kept Scott? ... do you think Scott would be even a slight improvement from one of the worst starting RT's last year? ... finally, do you think other teams would be willing to offer similar $$$ to what you guys were going to pay him ... or do you think we may be able to sign him for a vet minimum salary? ...

l_j_r

I recommend you convince the Jets FO to put everything they have in to signing him and then trust that he will protect Sanchez and Tebow without flaw. I also recommend nothing but 7 step drops and always have him covering the blind side.

RuthlessBurgher
07-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Jon Scott's a below average backup who could likely be had for the vet minimum salary. If you expect him to be a starter, you'll likely be severely disappointed.

ljr
07-20-2012, 04:06 PM
... thx for input fellas! ...

l_j_r

Steelerphile
07-20-2012, 05:33 PM
... Jets fan here ...

l_j_r

He had some good moments in 2010. He took over for Starks and started slowly but seemed to get more solid down the stretch. I was hoping for better things for him in 2011 because he came into camp as the starter, but I don't know if he was injured or just couldn't handle the pressure of being the guy at LT, but he failed in 2011. I think the coaches and the fans lost faith in him. They had to resign Starks to get some stability back at LT.

ljr
07-20-2012, 10:59 PM
He had some good moments in 2010. He took over for Starks and started slowly but seemed to get more solid down the stretch. I was hoping for better things for him in 2011 because he came into camp as the starter, but I don't know if he was injured or just couldn't handle the pressure of being the guy at LT, but he failed in 2011. I think the coaches and the fans lost faith in him. They had to resign Starks to get some stability back at LT.

... same exact story for us with Hunter ...

... subbed in for an injured Damien Woody for the 2010 playoffs and performed quite well ...

... came into 2011 as the starter and basically $h*t the bed :( ...

... such is life ... thx 4 reply ...

l_j_r

RuthlessBurgher
07-24-2012, 12:56 PM
... same exact story for us with Hunter ...

... subbed in for an injured Damien Woody for the 2010 playoffs and performed quite well ...

... came into 2011 as the starter and basically $h*t the bed :( ...

... such is life ... thx 4 reply ...

l_j_r

Looks like your replacement for Hunter has arrived. When healthy, Otah is a beast. Unfortunately, he's not healthy very often. Giving up just a conditional 7th round pick could end up being a bargain for you.

Panthers trade Jeff Otah to NYJ for 7th round conditional pick
By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Blogger

July 23, 2012 5:12 pm ET

The Jets have had trouble the past two years at right tackle, as Wayne Hunter and Vladimir Ducasse have attempted (and failed) to shore up the position opposite of left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Now, New York is looking outside the organization for help.

The Jets announced Monday evening that they've traded an undisclosed conditional draft pick to the Panthers for tackle Jeff Otah. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, that pick is a seventh-round conditional selection.

Carolina selected Otah in the first round of the 2008 draft, but he's been badly decimated by injuries, which have allowed him to play only four combined games in the past two seasons. He's in the final year of his rookie contract of five years and $14.33 million, and the Panthers have given indications in the past month that they were tiring of Otah.

“The Panthers would be thrilled to see Otah put doubts about his work ethic and durability to rest in camp, but there are some inside the organization who are not overly optimistic about his chances of returning to the promising form he once displayed,” Pro Football Weekly wrote on June 22.

Meanwhile, it's now clear the Jets don't want to go with Hunter as right tackle. Or as our CBSSports.com colleague Pete Prisco noted, "Wayne Hunter was terrible last season. The tape showed a spinning top at right tackle."

Perhaps a change of scenery in New York will do Otah some good. Even if he's going to an organization not so well known for sturdy discipline.

UPDATED (5:35 p.m. ET): Here's what CBSSports.com's Jason La Canfora had to say about the transaction.

The trades essentially turn out to be Louis Murphy for Jeff Otah, according to league sources, with the conditional picks being swapped both in the same late round. So the pick the Panthers sent to Oakland for Murphy is replaced by the pick they get from the Jets for Otah.

Carolina, who acquired tackle Bruce Campbell from Oakland earlier this offseason, felt good about their depth at the position and Otah, like Murphy, was going into the final year of his deal. Re-signing him in the future would be tough, given their depth and his injury issues. The conditons with the Otah trade are largely injury-related, and if he passes a physical the Panthers secure the pick.

"Otah is a beast," one general manager said. "He can be dominant. He has to stay on the field, and the knee is a concern, but when he's healthy there's not too many better."

Carolina has expressed confidence in its young receivers but lacks depth there and Murphy's size is a big plus for them. Injuries have been an issue with him too, however.

"He made a lot of plays the first few years in the league," the GM said. "He's a big body with good hands. I'm not sure he plays to the 4.3 he ran coming out of school, but i can see why Carolina liked him."

The conditions in the Murphy trade are tied to him making the team, primarily, but barring injury that is certainly expected at this point.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/19641231/panthers-trade-jeff-otah-to-nyj-for-7th-round-conditional-pick

RuthlessBurgher
07-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Jon Scott ends up back in Detroit again:

Lions cut Johnny Culbreath, sign Jonathan Scott
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 24, 2012, 4:06 PM EDT

For the second day in a row, the Lions have released one of their players who was arrested this offseason.

Yesterday cornerback Aaron Berry was given the old heave-ho, and today offensive tackle Johnny Culbreath has been released. Culbreath, a 2011 seventh-round draft pick, was arrested in January for marijuana possession.

To fill Culbreath’s spot on the offensive line, the Lions have picked up offensive tackle Jonathan Scott, who was released by the Steelers five days ago.

This will be Scott’s second stint with the Lions, who took him out of Texas in the fifth round of the 2006 NFL Draft. After two years with the Lions he spent two years with the Bills and then two years with the Steelers. It’s unlikely that Scott can compete for a starting job in Detroit, but he may earn a spot on the 53-man roster as the No. 4 tackle behind last year’s starters Jeff Backus and Gosder Cherilus, and this year’s first-round draft pick Riley Reiff.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/24/lions-cut-johnny-culbreath-sign-jonathan-scott/