PDA

View Full Version : OT - Pitt to ACC Official

flippy
07-19-2012, 06:09 AM
Sorry to post a few OT threads on the main board, but there's no board for the Pirates or Pitt news.

This is pretty exciting to me since I live in NC. I'll get to see more Pitt games. It's probably good for the basketball program because of the strength of the ACC in hoops. It'll be a tough schedule every year. But there's gotta be a draw to kids getting to play against Duke/UNC every year.

Pitt should be able to do well in football. And it will probably be fun for the kids to get to play FSU, Miamia, GTech, etc.

I used to like the Big East as a kid. But overall I think this is a good move. Can't wait til 2013.

Oviedo
07-19-2012, 08:23 AM
I think it is a great football move for Pitt. However, I think they actually take half a step back in basketball. Big East has been the top conference for b-ball the past few years. I do think other sports like soccer, baseball, track and field etc. will find the ACC much more demanding.

feltdizz
07-19-2012, 09:11 AM
I think it is a great football move for Pitt. However, I think they actually take half a step back in basketball. Big East has been the top conference for b-ball the past few years. I do think other sports like soccer, baseball, track and field etc. will find the ACC much more demanding.

Big East is done... they really screwed up.

I'm in NC too Flippy... this is huge. NCState, Wake, Clemson, UNC, Duke... these are going to be some epic battles especially with Cuse coming in 2014??

Oviedo
07-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Big East is done... they really screwed up.

I'm in NC too Flippy... this is huge. NCState, Wake, Clemson, UNC, Duke... these are going to be some epic battles especially with Cuse coming in 2014??

I agree that they screwed up and it will show in the future. They let small basketball schools take them down a path to being irrelevent in the dominant sport of football. The Big East is going to become a better version of Conference USA with some really strong basketball programs.

For my local Central Florida moving to the Big East was a great move for them. Once they get rid of George O'Leary as head coach and get a really good football coach they could be the dominant football team in the Big East.

Ghost
07-19-2012, 02:12 PM
I live 3 miles from Bobby Dodd Stadium. I can't wait to wear my Pitt gear the first time the Panthers play GA Tech! I should also see them more on TV down here than I currently do so that's cool as well.

Notleadpoisoned
07-19-2012, 02:49 PM
Pitt still needs some fans to fill those empty seats at Heinz Field on Saturdays. The lack of interest in Pitt home games has been somewhat embarrassing in recent years.

Prowler
07-19-2012, 03:03 PM
Total rubbish. The Big East is not even close to being done. In fact, Pitt and Syracuse made a huge mistake going to the ACC. Consider the fact that the ACC is 2-13 in BCS bowl games and the Big East is 7-7. Plus the Big East champion put up 70 points against the ACC champion last season!! And if you want to use the argument that it was West Virginia who did this and that they will be a big loss to the BE as they go into the Big 12, consider the following. Boise State joins for 2013 and they have a much more successful program than West Virginia since 2004. Plus Boise has as many wins in BCS bowl games (2) as does the entire ACC combined. Combine this with up and coming programs like Houston, UCF and SanDiegoSt and you have the makings of a good competitive conference that is better than the ACC. Good riddance Pitt and Syralose!

feltdizz
07-19-2012, 07:00 PM
BCS wins? I don't think that is all that important in the scheme of things when looking at conferences. Big East is a jumbled mess of basketball and football programs and it lacks cohesion. Basketball conference was beast but its all about football.

Boise is a nice addition but I'm curious to see if they can dominate vs better competition.

The ACC hasn't lived up to expectations on the field but I think they have a solid conference

feltdizz
07-19-2012, 07:05 PM
Pitt still needs some fans to fill those empty seats at Heinz Field on Saturdays. The lack of interest in Pitt home games has been somewhat embarrassing in recent years.

They need their own stadium. Heinz is too big for a school this size.

Prowler
07-19-2012, 08:20 PM
BCS wins? I don't think that is all that important in the scheme of things when looking at conferences. Big East is a jumbled mess of basketball and football programs and it lacks cohesion. Basketball conference was beast but its all about football.

Boise is a nice addition but I'm curious to see if they can dominate vs better competition.

The ACC hasn't lived up to expectations on the field but I think they have a solid conference

How much more evidence do you need that Boise is the real deal? They are 6-0 against automatic bcs conferences in the last 3 years. They beat Oregon twice, Oregon State, Virginia Tech, Georgia and Arizona State. In those years in which they beat Oregon, Virginia Tech and Georgia those teams won their conferences division and or conference championship. That would be the Pac 12 winner twice, ACC winner and a SEC division championship team.

Slapstick
07-19-2012, 10:15 PM
How much more evidence do you need that Boise is the real deal? They are 6-0 against automatic bcs conferences in the last 3 years. They beat Oregon twice, Oregon State, Virginia Tech, Georgia and Arizona State. In those years in which they beat Oregon, Virginia Tech and Georgia those teams won their conferences division and or conference championship. That would be the Pac 12 winner twice, ACC winner and a SEC division championship team.

I think that you have restated the issue perfectly: 6-0 in the last three years...

If they were 6-0 last year only, perhaps the perception would be different...

feltdizz
07-20-2012, 09:40 AM
I think you mis-read my statement on Boise... It's foolish to discredit their record vs BCS teams.

However, there are a few things you are over looking. Every year Boise has the whole off season to prepare for their big BCS game vs an Oregon or VTech and they also get over a month to prepare for bowl games.

In the Big East they will face better competition week in and week out IMO. The Big East will be different without PITT and WVU but I still think the BE will have more talented next level players then Boise's current conference.

Prowler
07-20-2012, 11:22 AM
I think you mis-read my statement on Boise... It's foolish to discredit their record vs BCS teams.

However, there are a few things you are over looking. Every year Boise has the whole off season to prepare for their big BCS game vs an Oregon or VTech and they also get over a month to prepare for bowl games.

In the Big East they will face better competition week in and week out IMO. The Big East will be different without PITT and WVU but I still think the BE will have more talented next level players then Boise's current conference.

Hogwash. The BCS teams also have the whole offseason to prepare against Boise and they to have a month plus to prepare for the bowl games as well. Its equal for both sides so this notion that Boise has an advantage because they have a whole offseason to prepare is sour grapes and nothing more. Why be dishonest?

Slapstick
07-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Hogwash. The BCS teams also have the whole offseason to prepare against Boise and they to have a month plus to prepare for the bowl games as well. Its equal for both sides so this notion that Boise has an advantage because they have a whole offseason to prepare is sour grapes and nothing more. Why be dishonest?

No one is being dishonest. Having a different opinion is not being dishonest...

Now, we will all have the opportunity to see Boise State play against BCS automatic qualifiers almost every week, instead of once or twice per year...

feltdizz
07-20-2012, 12:22 PM
I'm not being dishonest... you are arguing about something totally different and using past success in 1 or 2 games a year vs BCS teams as proof they will run the table in the BE.

All I'm suggesting is playing Rutgers, UCONN, Louisville, UCF, Houston and USF is tougher than playing a Michigan State then following it up with Miami OH, BYU, Fresno, SDSU, Hawaii and Nevada. Nevada is the only team that consistently plays BCS schools like Mizzou, Texas Tech, Notre Dame, Auburn, etc... and they put up over 100 points in 2 games vs Boise recently.

Boise is going to play 6 or 7 Nevada's every year in the BE... if you think they will be just as successful it's your opinion. I'm skeptical, I don't think they can keep it up for a whole season. They have a new QB in Boise... they have 5 starters returning on offense and 1 on D. If you think Boise will run the table in the BE think again... I seriously doubt it and it's the reason they are moving to the BE. Even if they lose a few games they can get the auto bid... that wasn't happening in the SWAC? because the competition wasn't up to par.

Prowler
07-20-2012, 01:51 PM
I'm not being dishonest... you are arguing about something totally different and using past success in 1 or 2 games a year vs BCS teams as proof they will run the table in the BE.

All I'm suggesting is playing Rutgers, UCONN, Louisville, UCF, Houston and USF is tougher than playing a Michigan State then following it up with Miami OH, BYU, Fresno, SDSU, Hawaii and Nevada. Nevada is the only team that consistently plays BCS schools like Mizzou, Texas Tech, Notre Dame, Auburn, etc... and they put up over 100 points in 2 games vs Boise recently.

Boise is going to play 6 or 7 Nevada's every year in the BE... if you think they will be just as successful it's your opinion. I'm skeptical, I don't think they can keep it up for a whole season. They have a new QB in Boise... they have 5 starters returning on offense and 1 on D. If you think Boise will run the table in the BE think again... I seriously doubt it and it's the reason they are moving to the BE. Even if they lose a few games they can get the auto bid... that wasn't happening in the SWAC? because the competition wasn't up to par.

Wrong. You used the argument that Boise had an advantage when they beat the BCS conference teams because they had all summer to prepare. You failed to mention that the BCS teams had an equal amount of time as Boise to prepare, which makes your argument invalid. At least be honest and admit that much please?

By the way Nevada never put up 100 points against Boise like you have claimed the last two seasons, only 44 points . Don't lie!!

Ghost
07-20-2012, 02:47 PM
I'm not really sure why there is outrage b/c people aren't that impressed with Boise St due to their schedule. It's a common, pervasive thought across the nation.

They've certainly had some great wins but their overall schedule has been a joke the last three (at least) years.

2009 – Miami (Oh), Fresno St, Bowling Green, UC Davis, Hawaii, San Jose St, New Mexico St
2010 – Wyoming, New Mexico St, Idaho, San Jose St, Hawaii,
2011 – Toledo, fresno St, Colorado St, UNLV, San Diego St, Wyoming New Mexico

In contrast:

PSU:
Alabama, Iowa, Purdue, Nebraska, Ohio St, Wisconsin

LSU:
Oregon, Miss St, West VA, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn, Alabama, Arkansas

Prowler
07-20-2012, 04:21 PM
I'm not really sure why there is outrage b/c people aren't that impressed with Boise St due to their schedule. It's a common, pervasive thought across the nation.

They've certainly had some great wins but their overall schedule has been a joke the last three (at least) years.

2009 Miami (Oh), Fresno St, Bowling Green, UC Davis, Hawaii, San Jose St, New Mexico St
2010 Wyoming, New Mexico St, Idaho, San Jose St, Hawaii,
2011 Toledo, fresno St, Colorado St, UNLV, San Diego St, Wyoming New Mexico

In contrast:

PSU:
Alabama, Iowa, Purdue, Nebraska, Ohio St, Wisconsin

LSU:
Oregon, Miss St, West VA, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn, Alabama, Arkansas

If you're going to post the past seasons schedules just don't post Boise's easy games and none of the hard games they play. Likewise just don't post the hard games for PSU and LSU without posting the easy games they played like the ones against the powerhouses of Indiana St, Eastern Michigan, Indiana, Georgia Southern, Kent State, North Texas and Western Kentucky!! You guys are being pathetic and slightly dishonest by not doing so as we all know that LSU and PSU played tougher schedules than Boise. That's not in dispute. You make it seem like Boise ducks the competition and nothing could be further from the truth. BSU can't help it that most BCS teams don't want to play them.

feltdizz
07-20-2012, 04:30 PM
Wrong. You used the argument that Boise had an advantage when they beat the BCS conference teams because they had all summer to prepare. You failed to mention that the BCS teams had an equal amount of time as Boise to prepare, which makes your argument invalid. At least be honest and admit that much please?

By the way Nevada never put up 100 points against Boise like you have claimed the last two seasons, only 44 points . Don't lie!!

I said recently... not the last 2 years... 2007 and 2008, look it up. They also lost to Nevada last year after being up 20-0 at the half.

I never said Boise had an advantage over the other schools when it comes to playing them. I said having all summer to prepare for a BCS school or a month for a bowl game isn't the same as playing BCS schools week after week or 6 to 7 times in one year.

You are trying to use the 6-0 BCS record as proof Boise will be legit in the Big East and it's not the same thing. I think they will be good but they aren't running through the Big East like they run through the WAC. No one is saying LSU and PSU don't play a few cupcakes but they also play a grueling Big10 schedule.

Prowler
07-20-2012, 04:56 PM
I said recently... not the last 2 years... 2007 and 2008, look it up. They also lost to Nevada last year after being up 20-0 at the half.

I never said Boise had an advantage over the other schools when it comes to playing them. I said having all summer to prepare for a BCS school or a month for a bowl game isn't the same as playing BCS schools week after week or 6 to 7 times in one year.

You are trying to use the 6-0 BCS record as proof Boise will be legit in the Big East and it's not the same thing. I think they will be good but they aren't running through the Big East like they run through the WAC. No one is saying LSU and PSU don't play a few cupcakes but they also play a grueling Big10 schedule.

So you ignore the last 3 seasons of results against Nevada because it does not fit your agenda? You once again border on dishonesty by stating that Nevada put up 100 points on Boise as you fail to mention that 23 of those came into the 4th overtime of the 2007 games. Someone not knowing this would assume Boise's defense sucked and that they lost those games, however Boise won both those games.

The only 2 losses they had the last two seasons was a result of Boise's kicker missing easy chip shot field goals. If it were not for their one weakness in the kicking game, you probably would have seen Boise in the national championship game last season.

Nevertheless, we'll just have to agree to disagree on Boise. I for one am looking forward to seeing how they do in the future and especially this season with only having 7 starters returning and a new QB opening against Michigan State. All the best feltdizz and have a great weekend!!

feltdizz
07-20-2012, 06:19 PM
We will agree to.disagree... I'm not ignoring the last 3 years vs Nevada, they have been a thorn in Boise's side IMO and I think most teams in the Big East are better than Nevada...

I've been a Boise fan since they beat OU in amazing fashion but I'm not.ready to crown them BE champs based on their success vs BCS teams... a full season vs better opponents will tell us a lot about the future of the BE conference and Boise's standing in the BCS hunt. I just wish they weren't screwed over by the BCS few years, playing TCU instead of new foe the other year was a travesty.

have a good one.

NJ-STEELER
07-21-2012, 09:20 AM
i think they might take a bit of a hit in BB and football the first few years in the ACC but are better off in that conference in the long run

Ghost
07-21-2012, 01:33 PM
If you're going to post the past seasons schedules just don't post Boise's easy games and none of the hard games they play. Likewise just don't post the hard games for PSU and LSU without posting the easy games they played like the ones against the powerhouses of Indiana St, Eastern Michigan, Indiana, Georgia Southern, Kent State, North Texas and Western Kentucky!! You guys are being pathetic and slightly dishonest by not doing so as we all know that LSU and PSU played tougher schedules than Boise. That's not in dispute. You make it seem like Boise ducks the competition and nothing could be further from the truth. BSU can't help it that most BCS teams don't want to play them.

No one is being dishonest at all. Their schedule is a DAMN joke. Every year they play at least 6 if not 7 total cupcakes. And no one has said PSU/LSU only plays tough games but their schedules overall are infinitely harder each and every season. And no one has said they duck the competition just that they don't consistently play at the same level. What's so hard to understand?

Put BS in the SEC and they are a muti game loser every season. And this is a common belief.

Pops8
07-21-2012, 02:05 PM
ACC expansion is about TV markets, not competition.

Prowler
07-21-2012, 03:16 PM
No one is being dishonest at all. Their schedule is a DAMN joke. Every year they play at least 6 if not 7 total cupcakes. And no one has said PSU/LSU only plays tough games but their schedules overall are infinitely harder each and every season. And no one has said they duck the competition just that they don't consistently play at the same level. What's so hard to understand?

Put BS in the SEC and they are a muti game loser every season. And this is a common belief.

You implied that Boise played only easy teams and PSU and LSU only hard teams, otherwise you would have posted all of the easy games that PSU/LSU played and not just the difficult ones and you would have posted the difficult opponents for Boise and not just the cupcake teams. What is so hard to understand about that?

And before we go any further your Pitt Panthers are taking a step down in competition ducking the more difficult competition of the Big East. The fact remains the ACC is 2-13 in BCS bowl games the BE is 7-7. The ACC champion gave up 70 points to the Big East champion last season.