PDA

View Full Version : Will the Steelers distance themselves from Franco Harris?

feltdizz
07-14-2012, 01:18 PM
With the new report shedding light on the PSU cover up by senior official's how can Franco say this...

"A lot of people are taking it as gospel, that this is the truth. I don't think there's absolute truth to the Freeh Report. There's no way it can be unless you have [former president Graham Spanier, Curley and Schultz] as part of that. I've mentioned that for months now. I've been waiting for that part of it more than anything else," he said.

and expect Steeler fans to respect him? I know he is loyal to PSU but isn't this the main reason people are angry with the program? I wonder if the Steelers will distance themselves from him if he continues this denial of the obvious.

I'm more of a PITT fan but I root for PSU as well... still think this isn't a position one should be so public about given the info that is being released.

It sounds like Franco will always ask for more info or more evidence...

hawaiiansteel
07-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Franco has always been a staunch supporter of Joe Paterno and he is entitled to his opinion. I don't happen to agree with Franco but still respect him for his loyalty...

flippy
07-14-2012, 01:57 PM
If Goodell ran the NCAA, he would have closed down PSU by now.

I think everyone will distance themselves from PSU to a degree for a while. I think it crosses more than just football. I suspect companies will be less likely to hire a PSU grad just because they don't want to be associated with this scandal in any way.

Nothing can return the innocence back to those kids. And JoePa allowed Sandusky to win a coach of the year award after finding out about this. That's downright disgusting. This guy's legacy is done. How nice of him to die and leave his family to deal with this mess. What a knucklehead.

I guess this just proves you have to be a little crazy to get ahead of others in this world. Nice job JoePa.

RuthlessBurgher
07-14-2012, 02:06 PM
I suspect companies will be less likely to hire a PSU grad just because they don't want to be associated with this scandal in any way.

Are companies less like to hire Catholics because there have been priest after priest after priest (not just one single former defense coordinator) who have sexually abused young boys, and they were just simply transferred to new (unknowing) parishes to continue their disgusting vile behavior with all new innocent children without prosecution of any kind?

Ghost
07-14-2012, 03:24 PM
The only people supporting JoePa at this point are either blind, stupid or family. Franco is clearly in the stupid category. At this point he looks like a complete moron. I'm embarrassed for him.

Oviedo
07-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Individuals are at fault for what happened at Penn State not the institution. To punish the current students, teacher and thousands of alumni is stupid

feltdizz
07-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Ovid.. that's the case with every college who gets the death penalty or a bad rep for athletic corruption.

I understand loyalty to PSU football but not to the people who were directly involved. I don't have any problem with Catholics in general but those who defend priest who hid the corruption are sick... and I think anyone defending the officials and JoePa are showing the public exactly how easy it is to put loyalty and corruption ahead of crimes against children

RuthlessBurgher
07-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Hasn't everyone involved in this fiasco been fired, retired, died, or in prison by now? I'm not following this really at all (I'm not reading the FBI guy's report because I don't need to make myself ill), but isn't there a new college president, a new athletic director, new coaches, new players, new everything at this point?

flippy
07-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Are companies less like to hire Catholics because there have been priest after priest after priest (not just one single former defense coordinator) who have sexually abused young boys, and they were just simply transferred to new (unknowing) parishes to continue their disgusting vile behavior with all new innocent children without prosecution of any kind?

JoePa is like the Pope of Happy Valley.

This whole thing was swept under the rug. PSU is almost run like the Vatican. It's eerily similar.

If you had to list your religion on a job application, then probably Catholics would get discriminated against? Unfortunately for PSUers, they've got to list the degree and education on an application. And I suspect with people being people, someone would look at a resume from someone who went to PSU and would think ewww and might associate that person with child molestation. Unfair? Sure. Just suggesting it could happen.

There are employment laws that don't allow companies to discriminate. So clearly companies have discriminated for various reasons. People who went to PSU don't fall under a protected class, so I'm just guessing someone will discriminate against them.

The alumni don't have anything to do with the scandal, but they have given $208M last year. And $1.6B over the last 5 years. Why did they give all that money? A lot of it probably has to do with JoePa and the football program at PSU putting it on the map.

The Catholic church rakes in the tithes, so again, it's pretty similar stuff.

flippy
07-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Hasn't everyone involved in this fiasco been fired, retired, died, or in prison by now? I'm not following this really at all (I'm not reading the FBI guy's report because I don't need to make myself ill), but isn't there a new college president, a new athletic director, new coaches, new players, new everything at this point?

I started reading some of the stuff when the news first broke, but had to stop. It got too graphic for me.

There are new people, but I'm not sure the people involved have been punished to the degree that you would expect for these types of violent acts. And even though there are new people, it just seems the program/school should take a massive hit for allowing this to happen.

But at the end of the day it's about the money and that's more important than doing the right thing.

Sugar
07-14-2012, 07:12 PM

Are companies less likely to hire people who were educated in public schools? After all, there has been far more sexual abuse in schools than in the Catholic church. We could go on and on and on. Hopefully, people are hired and accepted for their own abilities and attitudes and not because somebody did something wrong in an otherwise good institution that they were part of.

grotonsteel
07-14-2012, 08:31 PM
I suspect companies will be less likely to hire a PSU grad just because they don't want to be associated with this scandal in any way.

I don't think so. If a student is talented he is going to get a job. For example Penn State Engineering Program is pretty well respected in industry. Students are going to get job. The only reason they might struggle to get a job is because of Economy and Joe Pa has nothing to do with it.

Say Joe Pa was associated with Carnegie Mellon. Do you think people will stop hiring Computer Science students from that school? No way. They will be still having 3-4 job offers before they graduate.

flippy
07-15-2012, 08:23 AM
I don't think so. If a student is talented he is going to get a job. For example Penn State Engineering Program is pretty well respected in industry. Students are going to get job. The only reason they might struggle to get a job is because of Economy and Joe Pa has nothing to do with it.

Say Joe Pa was associated with Carnegie Mellon. Do you think people will stop hiring Computer Science students from that school? No way. They will be still having 3-4 job offers before they graduate.

The way I look at this is everyone knew as soon as the scandal broke that JoePa was calling the shots and probably covered everything up for the good of the program.

Yet as the story unfolded, the students and alumni stood up for JoePa. The players stood behind him. The alumni still gave their $200M in support of JoePa and this school.

I know that's only a subset of people, but it make people associated with PSU look foolish. So I suspect some will see PSU on a resume and look for the next resume. There's close to 20% unemployment. Employers can be as picky as they want and try to find the right candidate. They can use whatever they want to disqualify a candidate.

And corporate ethics is important given the backdrop of Enron, Siemens, etc. with corporate scandals out the ying yang. With CEOs and CFOs signing off on financials with personal accountability, companies have to be even more careful about who they hire.

Many companies don't want to hire employees associated with business scandals because they don't want it to impact their culture. I'm just suggesting some people may think this way. And I could see why they would with so much personal accountability.

We all know the people at PSU are just people like every other kind of people. But the most important piece of hiring is protecting your corporate culture. And companies try to minimize risk. Why hire someone from PSU when there's just as good a candidate available from Pitt or some other college?

There's a ton of luck associated with where someone ends up working. No matter what it is you do, there's probably thousands of others that could do your job better than you can if they were given the opportunity.

PSUers will get jobs. I just bet it might be harder.

D Rock
07-15-2012, 10:28 AM
PSU students get hired so much because the people doing the hiring are PSU people. I went there...I know plenty of people who got jobs and I said to myself...What? How?

The PSU alumni network is huge and biased, and that wont change.

NorthCoast
07-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Individuals are at fault for what happened at Penn State not the institution. To punish the current students, teacher and thousands of alumni is stupid

Not really. The institution is at fault for not having established rock-solid checks and balances. No different than the rogue trader that caused the oldest bank in England to go bankrupt on a billion dollar gamble. Yes, it was one individual. But the institution suffered the consequence.

flippy
07-16-2012, 10:03 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--graham-spanier-penn-state-freeh-report-joe-paterno-curtis-enis-jeff-nalley.html

interesting article questioning what other unethical things were allowed at PSU?

I tend to agree with this article that the way this Sandusky issue was handled, it probably indicates there were a lot of other bad things happening at PSU and I bet a lot more people knew how unethical the university was.

More negative articles keep popping up and I suspect this is just getting started.

fezziwig
07-16-2012, 04:58 PM
When Joe said he first learned about the sex crimes and he turned the matter over to the college, was that not true ? BTW, I have no use for the janitors that knew it was going and kept quite about it in fear of losig their jobs. They're just as accountable as everyone else.

Eich
07-16-2012, 05:39 PM
When Joe said he first learned about the sex crimes and he turned the matter over to the college, was that not true ? BTW, I have no use for the janitors that knew it was going and kept quite about it in fear of losig their jobs. They're just as accountable as everyone else.

Every single human being that knew it was going on and didn't do more is just as accountable.

I love how the people who defend Paterno by saying he turned it over to the authorities and it's the authorities' fault that they wouldn't do anything. Complete rubbish. If I knew something like that was going on where I work, I wouldn't shut up until it stopped and I certainly wouldn't remain employed by the company that was covering it up.

There is no worse crime on earth than abusing a defensless child.

flippy
07-16-2012, 05:49 PM
I heard somewhere other coaches and players knew Sandusky took showers with kids, but they said they didn't know anything bad was going on.

The more I hear about this, the more it feels like a lot of people knew.

feltdizz
07-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Joe knew and he didn't do enough... they hid it. Any grown man who knows a guy is touching kids shouldn't rest until that man is in jail.

Unfortunately we keep seeing PSU fans and alum carry on the same mentality as Joe and the other people who knew.

fezziwig
07-17-2012, 08:33 AM
I have to agree or at least I'm that same kind of person. When I know something is wrong , I don't let it drop. If it was me that heard about this and I had the opportunity to tell the higher ups or to phone the police, I would in a heart beat. Just the way I am, I wouldn't let it drop because I would be doing the follow up with questions like, " what are you doing about this, do you have the evidence, shouldn't more be happening, are you not going to keep this guy away from the children until you know it's safe , what's taking so long, I can't stand to see this person around children or the campus, if more isn't done soon I will need to take further steps.
Also, to me the entire school dropped the ball with Sandusky when, they knew he was showering with little kids. It's not normal to shower with kids be it sports or whatever, it should have been a red flag from that point. I doubt my kids have ever seen me with my shirt off unless we were swimming and I haven't been in the pool or the ocean since I was single. It was wrong all the way from the start.
Here's another thing too. We all know the right thing to do was to tar and feather Sandusky from the start but, Paterno, the college and anyone that knew about this from the start could have been hero's had they just come out with it from the start. I would have been very proud of Paterno and the college or whomever that would have done the right thing. No, they allowed these kids to get brutalized for life all in the name of trying to want a clean image.
Joe's not here to defend himself and I'll give him the benifit of doubt that he did turn the matter over to whomever but, it was not enough and it should have sickened him to the point that, he should have done a lot more.

feltdizz
07-17-2012, 08:59 AM
great post Fezz!!!!!

aggiebones
07-17-2012, 08:19 PM
I agree JoePa had a role in not following up and bears some blame, but I think the coverup is more administration and the Board. Certain Board members knew and buried it, yet noone talks about them.
The Freeh report really added nothing knew to the story, he just sprinkled Joe around the report loudly. No emails or anything incriminating. I think everyone just turned and pointed at a dead man. Its easy. Sandusky did it and its Joe's fault.
I can appreciate his family wanting the FULL truth out there and not hide behind a felon and a dead man.

I went to school in Texas, so have no real dog in the fight. But I doubt JoePa was spending time dealing with this at all. He might have periodically asked about it, then walked away. Frankly, I don't believe JoePa was purposely doing anything other than blindly not paying attention to it. Which is bad enough, but I don't think he's the ring leader people have made him out to be.
And you'll never have someone get into the Board's emails. And why haven't they PUBLISHED the emails. None were from Joe though.

feltdizz
07-17-2012, 09:12 PM
aggie... do you really see JoePa using email? I bet he didn't even use a computer. Joe knew.. the board knew and instead of turning Sandusky in they hid him and gave him access to kids and shower stalls.

SteelAddicted
07-18-2012, 08:48 AM
and expect Steeler fans to respect him?

I don't think Franco is condoning the actions my PSU at all. I think he's just stating that people shouldn't be publicly crucified or considered guilty until proven guilty. Jerry Sandusky has been proven guilty and deserves every piece of **** thrown his way. Joe Paterno however has not been proven quilty for any involvement and does deserve to live under the realm of "innocent until proven guilty".

I understand my comment might be a bit controversial and I am in no way condoning the actions of PSU. However, when it comes to legalities you need to separate your personal opinions from the facts when making a quilty or not guilty ruling.

The best example I can give to defend Franco's statements is how Big Ben was treated in the media after the allegations against him. Ben was never proven guilty for anything but was publicly crucified and publicly stamped guilty. In everyone's eyes but Steeler fans, Ben committed those crimes. Think how we still defend Ben today "he was never charged", "he was never proven quilty". Think how bad it pisses you off when fans of other teams still throw that in our faces when it comes to Ben.

I'm just saying... you're innocent until proven guilty, that's what the Nations Law states.

feltdizz
07-18-2012, 10:16 AM
I don't think Franco is condoning the actions my PSU at all. I think he's just stating that people shouldn't be publicly crucified or considered guilty until proven guilty. Jerry Sandusky has been proven guilty and deserves every piece of **** thrown his way. Joe Paterno however has not been proven quilty for any involvement and does deserve to live under the realm of "innocent until proven guilty".

I understand my comment might be a bit controversial and I am in no way condoning the actions of PSU. However, when it comes to legalities you need to separate your personal opinions from the facts when making a quilty or not guilty ruling.

The best example I can give to defend Franco's statements is how Big Ben was treated in the media after the allegations against him. Ben was never proven guilty for anything but was publicly crucified and publicly stamped guilty. In everyone's eyes but Steeler fans, Ben committed those crimes. Think how we still defend Ben today "he was never charged", "he was never proven quilty". Think how bad it pisses you off when fans of other teams still throw that in our faces when it comes to Ben.

I'm just saying... you're innocent until proven guilty, that's what the Nations Law states.

Hmm... Not trying to get into another Ben debate but I think most Steeler fans and people in general think Ben is guilty of putting himself in a compromising position after his last incident.

I think most people view JoePa the same way... he was guilty of not doing enough to put Sandusky under the jail... I don't care how much info Joe had... as soon as he heard kid, shower, sandusky it should have been multiple calls to get this guy in jail, off campus, off property. One phone call isn't enough...

I don't think we need a jury to decide how guilty Joe and others were... if they let this guy stay on PSU property and continue to run a camp... they are guilty of a cover up. IMO of course...

fezziwig
07-18-2012, 10:39 AM
I don't fault Joe for the original steps he took about Sandusky. Pulling this from my memory, Joe said he handed the matter over to the higher ups. I know Joe is big man on campus but I would have to believe that something like this, Joe was out of his league on how to handle it, should have handle it or whatever. I get all that but, but, but, there is one thing that will never sit well with me and that is, Joe or whomever knew about this and all the way down to the janitors, they did not enough. They should have been sickened to the point of following through. Sandusky is the monster here and you have to be one sick unit to do what he did but, to allow it to go on without stamping it out as quickly as possible, your just as guilty. Society is at a loss or is lost when good people do nothing in the face of evil/wrong doing.

We were out for dinner this past Saturday and in the mens room they had pictures of Sandusky in the urinals. There wasn't a splash of pee on the floor lol.

RuthlessBurgher
07-18-2012, 12:27 PM
We were out for dinner this past Saturday and in the mens room they had pictures of Sandusky in the urinals. There wasn't a splash of pee on the floor lol.

They should put pictures of Roger Goodell, on fire, in the urinals in the Steeler locker room to see what happens when Deebo has to take a leak...;)

feltdizz
07-18-2012, 12:32 PM
I don't fault Joe for the original steps he took about Sandusky. Pulling this from my memory, Joe said he handed the matter over to the higher ups. I know Joe is big man on campus but I would have to believe that something like this, Joe was out of his league on how to handle it, should have handle it or whatever. I get all that but, but, but, there is one thing that will never sit well with me and that is, Joe or whomever knew about this and all the way down to the janitors, they did not enough. They should have been sickened to the point of following through. Sandusky is the monster here and you have to be one sick unit to do what he did but, to allow it to go on without stamping it out as quickly as possible, your just as guilty. Society is at a loss or is lost when good people do nothing in the face of evil/wrong doing.

That last line is hilarious...

The Red Sox organization distanced themselves from a colleague who was defending Joe or defending the handling of Sandusky... I think he even said something along the lines of coaches showering with young kids being normal back in his day.

fezziwig
07-18-2012, 03:14 PM
I don't want to be a Paterno basher because he has done a lot of good and he isn't here to defend himself. I would like to think he did all that was possible. Had this happened to one of our kids or to one of us........geeze ! We would probably want the college shut down. I do believe that the football program should continue. It's not the players fault this all happened. Possibly if they want to punish the football program send all their earnings to help abused kids or something like that. It will be a long time before people can look at Penn State and not associate it with the crimes that have happened.

fezziwig
07-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Feltdizz, it made me take aim.

Ghost
07-18-2012, 03:43 PM
If Joe had done all he could do, then this sh!t would have been stopped back in the late 90's or early 00's at the latest. It's simply preposterous to think JoePa didn't know EVERYTHING going on at the school. He was easily the most powerful and most feared man on campus (you could argue one of the most powerful in all of PA).

Even if you don't believe the Freeh report (or think it wildly exaggerates Paterno's role) - he DID know about the incident. He DIDN'T push further and really washed his hands by saying he turned it over to others. And he DID allow Sandusky access to the campus and to continue bringing children with him. That last item is ridiculous.

I grew up a big fan of Paterno and have always rooted for PSU but his lack of action (and possibly active engagement in a coverup) is unforgiveable and sickening. He allowed his and the football team's reputation to be more important than many childrens welfare.

fezziwig
07-18-2012, 04:03 PM
I agree Ghost. When I said I would like to think that, he did all that he could have I should have said, I wish he could have did all that he could have. If Joe would have put his foot down on the matter probably less kids would have gotten hurt. As I said, he has done a lot of good but with this incident...it doesn't wash it away. And for those that don' think Joe was powerful enough, he's probably one of the few men in this country that if wanted, could pick up the telephone and ask to speak with the President of the United States. To me, right or wrong with my opinion, his legacy is toast.

feltdizz
07-18-2012, 09:07 PM
JoePa's. legacy is shot... if it was football related...violations, money, etc... he would recover from it but kids... you can't recover from that.

hawaiiansteel
07-21-2012, 07:36 PM
30 Seconds With Franco Harris: ĎIt Was a Great Time to Be in Pittsburghí

By VINCENT M. MALLOZZI
July 21, 2012

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/07/22/sports/seconds/seconds-blog480.jpg

Running back Franco Harris helped the Pittsburgh Steelers win four Super Bowls during his 13-year Hall of Fame career. As a rookie 40 years ago, he caught a deflected touchdown pass from Terry Bradshaw that instantly became known as the Immaculate Reception; it gave the Steelers their first playoff victory, against Oakland. Harris, 62, appeared at a fund-raiser last month for the Franciscan Sisters of the Poor Foundation at Yankee Stadium.

Q.

Do you still get goose bumps when you think about the Immaculate Reception?

A.

I have to admit that catch keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger. When people look back at the great success that the Steelers have had the last 40 years and wonder where it all started, well, it all began right there. If not for that catch, all the success that followed might not have ever happened.

Q.

What were your thoughts heading into that 1972 season with a franchise that had never won a playoff game?

A.

From 1933 to 1971, the Steelers were the worst team in N.F.L. history, and thatís the team I was going to play for, so I really didnít go in with so much hope. But that 1972 season was phenomenal, and the fans went crazy. For 40 years, it was like our fans had this pent-up energy and frustration; they never had an outlet to cheer. But that year, it all came out, and in the decade that followed, it never let up. It was a great time to be in Pittsburgh.

Q.

When you came out of Penn State, did you think the Steelers would draft your college teammate Lydell Mitchell ahead of you?

A.

I didnít know who the Steelers were going to pick, but I was hoping it wouldnít be me. In my wildest dreams, I never would have thought I would have been the first running back taken in the draft that year, I still canít comprehend that.

Q.

What teams were the toughest for you to run against?

A.

During the 1970s, the Houston Oilers, the Oakland Raiders and the Dallas Cowboys were all tough.

Q.

What defensive player hit you the hardest?

A.

This is what I always told myself: ďFranco, if this guy hits you so hard that you feel it, donít look up; donít look at who it is.Ē I never wanted to know who it was because I didnít want to get into the frame of mind that hey, I have to watch out for that guy or that guy. So I just never paid attention to it.

Q.

What about practicing against the future Hall of Fame defensive players Joe Greene, Jack Ham, Jack Lambert and Mel Blount?

A.

They were not allowed to touch me; that was the rule of the land. It was like: Hey, guys, Iím here for Sunday. Donít beat me up on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Q.

Who was the best running back of your era?

A.

I would say Walter Payton, no doubt about it. That guy was tenacious. But if youíre looking at different styles, no one was a tougher runner than Earl Campbell. Oh my God, that guy could run.

Q.

What are your thoughts on Jerry Sandusky?

A.

It really is bothersome and upsetting. I know Jerry, and it just makes you shake your head. He was there as a graduate assistant when I was there. It just blows your mind. For someone to set up a structure to help kids and then it looked like, allegedly, that he broke that trust, itís very disturbing.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...in-pittsburgh/ (http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/21/30-seconds-with-franco-harris-it-was-a-great-time-to-be-in-pittsburgh/)

hawaiiansteel
07-22-2012, 02:06 AM
Franco Harris: from hesitant fan to Pittsburgh Passion's eager co-owner

July 21, 2012 11:43 am
By Brandon Boyd / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://c4241337.r37.cf2.rackcdn.com/2012/202/702/franco_420.jpg

Franco Harris wasn't on the fence after he first heard about the Pittsburgh Passion -- he was looking through it.

Harris, the former star Steelers running back, met a Passion player several years ago in a Giant Eagle and was invited to a game. At first, he was unsure about going.

"I said 'Oh, you know, if I get a chance,' " he said. "And I thought about it and said I would go check it out, but I wanted to be careful in checking it out."

Instead of buying a ticket and going through the gates, Harris decided on a sneaky way of checking out the women's football action -- or at least the sneakiest way possible for a former Super Bowl MVP.

He went around to the back of the stadium and watched through a fence.

"I saw all these balls flying through the air and thought 'man, this looks pretty good.' I was sitting there and the level of play was surprising," he said.

For the next game, Harris watched the action from the sidelines. From there, his relationship with the Passion flourished, and he eventually bought part of the team in 2011.

Harris owns the team along with former Passion player Teresa Conn.

Harris is all-in on the Passion, and the once skeptical Pittsburgh legend is now helping them to create history of their own.

The Passion -- whose highlights include being the first women's football team to broadcast games on a major television network, the first women's football team featured in Sports Illustrated and the first women's football team featured on ESPN -- will become the first team to play host to the Women's Football Alliance national championship at an NFL field.

Harris said Art Rooney II and Dan Rooney, owners of the Steelers, were influential in helping the Passion secure the championship at Heinz Field.

"The Rooneys and their organization have really been great in supporting women's football. It makes you feel good that someone at their level realizes this is a great women's football league," Harris said.

Four teams will be playing today in the semifinals to determine who plays in the championship game Aug. 4. The goal of Harris and the Passion, who were eliminated by the DC Divas earlier in the postseason, is to provide an entertaining day for the visitors.

To reach that goal, they've decided to sandwich football between more football.

"We thought we'd make it a great day about football," Harris said. "Here in Western Pennsylvania, we love our football."

At 10 a.m., the WFA All-Star game will be played at J.C. Stone Field. Five Passion players are on the first team and two players are on the second team.

After a tailgate challenge, the championship game will start at 4 p.m. At 7 p.m., the Passion will present a live screening of the Pro Football Hall of Fame enshrinement on Heinz Field's 96-foot jumbotron.

"You get to see some great football on the field, and then we have a chance to celebrate greatness of the players that played in Pittsburgh," Harris said.

Four players elected into the Hall of Fame -- Jack Butler, Dermontti Dawson, Curtis Martin and Chris Doleman -- have ties to the area.

"This is a big night for Pittsburgh with the Hall of Fame. Don't watch it at home. Come to the stadium and we can all watch it together. We have four great players being inducted into the Hall of Fame. Let's all celebrate together," he said.

"That was really the essence of adding that. How many venues do you get to really honor this occasion in a stadium where Pitt and the Steelers play now? I would love to share that with other people who really love what's happening."

For those still unsure about going to a women's football game, Harris said they only need to look to him to see how one game can make a world of difference.

"All I can say is that the first game I went to, I was skeptical. I became a fan," Harris said. "I just want to tell people to come out and see some great football."

And not through a fence, either.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz21K1UQvSx (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/more-sports/from-hesitant-fan-to-eager-owner-645598/#ixzz21K1UQvSx)

NorthCoast
07-22-2012, 08:45 AM
JoePa's. legacy is shot... if it was football related...violations, money, etc... he would recover from it but kids... you can't recover from that.

Convicts in prison for child crimes are not treated too kindly.... Sandusky might get a taste of his own actions.

jj28west
07-22-2012, 07:56 PM
Convicts in prison for child crimes are not treated too kindly.... Sandusky might get a taste of his own actions.

I have an uncle who is a CO and this is not a myth or an urban legend type of thing. Dahmer did not last long. They may give him a taste of his own medicine. Who knows, because of who he is his the lawyer may try to stop this.

fezziwig
07-23-2012, 04:50 PM
don't know how true it is and i don't know why he would not tell me the truth about prison but,here is what i was told. i had an employee that was in prison for five years for being a violent person. he settled stuf with his fist to the point he beat the heck out of someone and gave them brain damage and the courts got tired of seeing him so, off to pison he went. i think it was a maryland or pa prison, he was an employee of mine 7 years ago. my father talked me into giving him a job and what a mistake. good worker, i was afraid of him because he looked evil on top of everythin but, he was nice to me. one day one of my cement finishers popped off at me dad and this x-con beat him to a pulp right in the middle of a concrete pour. kicked his butt so badly, we were short one man and the concrete trucks kept coming. anyway this x-con said the myths about child molestors and their treatment are not true, the prisons know they are marked men in prison so, they get special treatment and special protection. as i said, don't know how true it is but, it is what he told me.

with sanduskys pention, maybe he'll pay some cons to protect him ?

Eich
07-23-2012, 05:40 PM
I have a few friends who still vehemently defend Paterno. To them I have 2 questions:

1. If YOUR son was abused by Sandusky, would you feel the same towards Paterno?

2. If at YOUR job, you found out that someone below you was abusing kids and YOU reported it to the authorities and they did nothing, would YOU continue to work there for years without saying anything else - just to protect your company's image and your own job????

fezziwig
07-24-2012, 09:23 AM
I have a few friends who still vehemently defend Paterno. To them I have 2 questions:

1. If YOUR son was abused by Sandusky, would you feel the same towards Paterno?

2. If at YOUR job, you found out that someone below you was abusing kids and YOU reported it to the authorities and they did nothing, would YOU continue to work there for years without saying anything else - just to protect your company's image and your own job????

I don't think it could explained any better Eich. I think it's criminal to keep quite when you know wrong stuff is going on.

AngryAsian
07-26-2012, 04:52 PM
I've tried to distance myself from Franco.... But the guy follows me everywhere!

DukieBoy
07-26-2012, 06:05 PM
This article may interest some here. It is written by Jim Wallis and posted on the Sojourners website. I think his assessments are spot-on about the Penn State situation, and of the even bigger societal picture of institutions protecting their interests at the expense of the less powerful, the vulnerable and the weak. Too big to fail should never be true, I think.

http://sojo.net/blogs/2012/07/26/suffer-little-children-crime-and-punishment-penn-state

flippy
07-26-2012, 08:26 PM
This article may interest some here. It is written by Jim Wallis and posted on the Sojourners website. I think his assessments are spot-on about the Penn State situation, and of the even bigger societal picture of institutions protecting their interests at the expense of the less powerful, the vulnerable and the weak. Too big to fail should never be true, I think.

http://sojo.net/blogs/2012/07/26/suffer-little-children-crime-and-punishment-penn-state

Maybe the NCAA can bring sanctions against the Catholic church.

The parallels between the Catholics and the PSU fans is eery.

frenchie
07-26-2012, 10:13 PM
I went to Penn State, graduated in the 80s. My brother was recruited by Joe out of a high school just outside of Pittsburgh. Joe came to our home, my parents went to the Paterno's home during the recruiting period. He was a very decent man. Some of the other coaches who recruited my brother were not. My brother chose another school, but while I was at PSU, I saw Joe on campus occasionally. One time I mentioned my brother and he remembered him and was very kind.

With this said, I understand the outrage people are feeling. But it will take some time for those of us who went to PSU, especially those of us who had a chance to meet Joe, to digest it. It is so contrary to the person so many of us felt we knew in some way. We are not stupid. We are just in shock, I guess. When you look up to someone, it's sometimes difficult to accept that they are not perfect......