PDA

View Full Version : Direct TVoffering free NFL package

feltdizz
07-12-2012, 01:14 PM
I know this has been asked before but my Uverse contract with ATT is up and the new rates are expensive. I'm seriously thinking about getting Direct TV since they have the NFL package for free... any drawbacks, horror stories or negative reviews? I love going to Steeler Bars to watch the games but I'd probably save a good $300 to $400 dollars by staying home. I know they are fighting with Viacom right now so I won't get to watch MTV, BET, Comedy Channel or VH1 bot hopefully that gets resolved soon...

Is the HD quality good? Are preseason games included? I was at a bar during the NBA playoffs and the rain knocked the feed out... does this happen a lot?

Appreciate the feedback.

Jigawatts
07-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Normally rain doesn't knock it out. If anything, in a bad storm you'll lose the HD, but still have the SD duplicates. We have had one storm this year that knocked out both, now I'll never know how the Matrix ends.:D

I've had TWC, Dish Network, and Direct TV. Much happier with Direct TV than the others. I just wish they'd settle with Viacom and bring back my Tosh.O

SteelCrazy
07-12-2012, 03:15 PM
I've installed satellites for years and its every bit as good as cable. Storms can knock out the reception, but only if its a monster of a storm. It really depends on the quality of the install. The weaker the signal, the easier it gets knocked out. HD quality is the same for every major provider.

Shawn
07-12-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm not a Directv fan. I had been a customer for over 5 years, upgraded 4 years into the service to HD/DVR. I was not told that would re-up my contract. When I tried to stop my service...they tried to charge me 400 dollars to cancel my service. That is how they rewarded my loyal patronage.

Jooser
07-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Got my DTV last year, couldn't love it more. I got the Ticket free last season, and am getting it for 149 this year. I didn't miss a game last season and with my new Sharp Quattron TV, the picture was stunning. I can't wait for the season to start. YOOHOO

Eich
07-13-2012, 08:16 AM
I've been with DirecTV since 1997. I've always hated cable. Horrible customer service. I'm sure cable has improve since then but even just a few years ago, we had internet from cable and it went out a LOT more than DirecTV ever went out. And when cable went out, it was out for days, not 5 minutes.

I'm quite happy with DirecTV. In the fierce storm we had on the East coast a few weeks ago, I think our signal was out for maybe 10 minutes. Otherwise, I can't remmeber the last time it was out for more than a few minutes and even that's rare. And I can't live without NFL Sunday Ticket. I've had plenty of attractive offers from Verizon FIOS but I have no need to change and simply won't part with NFL Sunday Ticket.

Anytime I've ever had any kind of problem with DirecTV, their customer service has always done something to make it right. I have no complaints with their customer service. And regarding the comment on early termination, it's no different than your cell phone. Anytime you upgrade, you're entered into a new contract that has an early termination fee. They should make this perfectly clear at the time of the upgrade but that's probably one issue with a company as big as DirecTV - communication. As with many things, it's up to the buyer to ask the right questions or research ahead of time.

NorthCoast
07-13-2012, 08:28 AM
Well I am quite torn here. Our local cable is excellent for the last 10 yrs (I can only remember one time having it go out for a day...and they gave us a credit!) The package with high speed internet is very reasonable but I am debating the DTV install just for NFL ticket. Two years ago we were lucky enough that the Browns played at different times than the Steelers so I got to see many Steeler games. Last year didn't work out as well.
I am a little worried about becoming a 'football junkie' and my wife a football widow when I should be enjoying the outdoor fall weather...

Oviedo
07-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Going on 6 years with Direct TV and the NFL Package. I would never not have it.

Shawn
07-13-2012, 08:48 AM
NorthCoast, That is why they make DVR. :)

NorthCoast
07-13-2012, 09:04 AM
NorthCoast, That is why they make DVR. :)

aarrggh...you are not making it any easier on me Shawn!

SteelBucks
07-13-2012, 09:14 AM
Got DirecTV back in 1998 while living in Texas because they had The Ticket. Absolutely love it....much better than my horror stories with cable.

feltdizz
07-13-2012, 10:17 AM
I'm going to give it a shot.. only problem is I'm surrounded by a forest of trees. Hopefully they can find a signal.

Oviedo
07-13-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm going to give it a shot.. only problem is I'm surrounded by a forest of trees. Hopefully they can find a signal.

It won't make a difference. The satelite is so high that trees will not effect the angle of the dish and reception unless you live at the base of Redwood trees. You just need a decent line of sight to the south and they will find the signal.

Direct TV's customer service is second to none.

RuthlessBurgher
07-13-2012, 10:43 AM
I had DirecTV for a year when we moved to our new house a few years ago. There was already a satellite mounted on the new house, so we figured that we'd give it a try (the free first year Sunday Ticket offer certainly helped persuade me with the decision). When it worked, we loved it...however, our service was interrupted constantly with any (even minor) wind, rain, or snow. In 6 months, we had a technician come to our house every single month, but none of them could resolve it (I don't know if the dish was simply mounted wrong in the first place, or what). It was so bad that they actually allowed us to get out of our 2 year contract after only 6 months without penalty, simply because there was nothing that they could do to resolve these issues for us. We've been with cable ever since (and paying out the nose for a cable/internet/phone bundle, but what you are you gonna do, right?).

pfelix73
07-13-2012, 12:35 PM
I've had Directv since the nineties as well. The nice thing about this service is you can actually take the service with you- like in an RV, camping... You can mount an antenna to a tripod, line it up correctly, and as long as you have a tv and a converter box (and power), you have their signal. It also depends on what part of the country you live in as to what angle you need to have the dish at. Here in Maryland, it's a SW direction at about a 45-50 degree angle. So, trees here can affect the signal. Also, when we get thunderstorms with ALOT of lightning, and the storms are coming at us from the SW to the NE, that's when we can have issues with signal until the storm passes. Any other storms from the NW, or W, don't really affect it. Heavy snow flakes will as well as huge rain drops- like when its so tropical around here that you get these raindrops the size of quarters....

I too wish they'd get this Viacom crap fixed- we're going through Spongebob withdrawal in my household..lol

Jooser
07-13-2012, 12:43 PM
My service has only been interrupted once since having it installed.

feltdizz
07-13-2012, 12:45 PM
It won't make a difference. The satelite is so high that trees will not effect the angle of the dish and reception unless you live at the base of Redwood trees. You just need a decent line of sight to the south and they will find the signal.

My back yard is filled with trees.. tall trees and bamboo. I hope it isn't a problem, when I lived in Kentucky my landlord had to cut down trees...

Eich
07-13-2012, 12:58 PM

It's possible for trees to block the signal. If your house is very close to really tall trees, you won't be able to find Line of Sight to the satellites.

There are some tools here to help:
http://www.dishpointer.com/

Discipline of Steel
07-13-2012, 09:33 PM
One warning about giving them access to your checking account for automatic withdrawals, they will not hesitate to withdraw whatever they feel you may owe them without telling you when it comes to a disagreement. One person i know called to cancel service, they pretended like the call never happened, then charged for extra months, late fees, an early termination fee, and took it all from their account in one fell swoop. Dont give them, or anyone access to your bank account.

pittpete
07-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Is the HD quality good?
Yes
Are preseason games included?
no,they are usually on a few days after on replay
I was at a bar during the NBA playoffs and the rain knocked the feed out... does this happen a lot?
in very heavy storms, yes it goes out and i have not a tree near me

There customer service is very good,but I believe you are locked in to a 2 year contract to get free equipment and install
Its not cheap either
I pay over a $100 a month for a basic package with 1 HD Reciever/DVR and 3 SD recievers
They charge you for every thing
If you are interested in watching games at home,do you have a Playstation3?
Ive read you can buy a package through DirectTV and stream through the PS3
Im honestly thinking of doing this because its getting so expensive

RuthlessBurgher
07-14-2012, 04:42 PM
I think you can get the NFL Sunday Ticket through your PS3 even if you don't subscribe to DirecTV (I think it may cost $100 or so more than the DirecTV Sunday Ticket package, though). It's an alternate option for folks who live in apartment buildings (or in house surrounded by tons of tall trees and such) and cannot mount a dish, but want Sunday Ticket anyway.

Shoe
07-15-2012, 08:52 PM
I'm torn too. I've been paying for Sunday Ticket here on the West Coast for years. While it is convenient to be able to turn on any game at any time, I think (given the price, and the fact that we're in a recession...) that it may be time to drop Sunday Ticket. (That is knowing the fact that it's supposed to be the lowest price this year in a long time.) Here's why:

First of all, it seems to me that a large number of Steeler games are on free TV anyway. In a 16-game season, maybe 3-4(?) are nationally televised, SNF/MNF games? I'm going to estimate 5-6 get put on CBS/Fox national coverage. That leaves about 30% of the season where they aren't showing your team's game, and you have to go to a bar or something. Say you spend $50 at the bar--that's maybe $300 (for the remainder of games)? You still come out ahead... and you get out of the house a bit!

I think Sunday Ticket is more for the displaced Seattle Seahawk/Cleveland Stain/Tampa Bay Buc fan, who's team never gets that national coverage... than it is the Dallas Cowboy/Pittsburgh Steeler fan.

The more I think about it, I think I'm going sans Sunday Ticket this year.

feltdizz
07-15-2012, 10:13 PM
I think its still a good deal for new subscribers... free.

RuthlessBurgher
07-15-2012, 11:20 PM
I think its still a good deal for new subscribers... free.

They are following the drug dealer's playbook...the first hit is free...and then once you are hooked, they have you for good. The ability to watch every NFL game can be more addictive than heroin to some...

feltdizz
07-16-2012, 08:23 AM
well... my drug dealer sucks... Trees are too high and they couldn't get a signal... no Sunday Ticket for me. Oh well, I tried.

Eich
07-16-2012, 08:45 AM
well... my drug dealer sucks... Trees are too high and they couldn't get a signal... no Sunday Ticket for me. Oh well, I tried.

If it's primarily the Sunday Ticket you want and you have a good High Speed internet connection, you can stream it in High Definition from a a Playstation III or your computer.