PDA

View Full Version : Spence

birtikidis
07-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Been hearing a lot of good things about Spence on Twitter
"Steel City Insider >> SPence Forcing Steelers to Reconsider..."
also heard the same thing from AFC N Blogger on twitter...

I personally don't think he'll start this season, too much to take in, but I do think he'll get some reps and turn out to be a good player.

Oviedo
07-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Been hearing a lot of good things about Spence on Twitter
"Steel City Insider >> SPence Forcing Steelers to Reconsider..."
also heard the same thing from AFC N Blogger on twitter...

I personally don't think he'll start this season, too much to take in, but I do think he'll get some reps and turn out to be a good player.

I think he'll get some reps but not many and the chances of starting is zero since we haven't changed our Defensive Corrdinator yet!

Butler is the guy who I read is really high on him so when he takes over Spence will get his chance.

birtikidis
07-10-2012, 12:53 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with the cordinator. I know how you feel about Lebeau, but really, he'd have to be EXCEPTIONAL for me to be ok with him starting. When we invest a top 10 pick on a guy and he can't get on the field (unless it's a position change) then I'll be worried. Guy fall to 2nd and 3rd round for a reason.

SteelerOfDeVille
07-10-2012, 01:29 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with the cordinator. I know how you feel about Lebeau, but really, he'd have to be EXCEPTIONAL for me to be ok with him starting. When we invest a top 10 pick on a guy and he can't get on the field (unless it's a position change) then I'll be worried. Guy fall to 2nd and 3rd round for a reason.

*what he said*

Seriously, even Polamalu didn't start as a rook (and many people on this very board) called him a bust... "bustamalu" - looking back, that was comical... anyway, rook's rarely start in this defense.

birtikidis
07-10-2012, 01:34 PM
If Troy wasn't so incredibly talented, there's no way he'd be a starter. He might be the most undisciplined player in the league. He's all instincts.
But really, what Rooks have we had that have had the talent to start from day 1? Pouncey... and hell, if the guy in front of him wasn't so BAD he may not have started right away. Was Timmons going to switch positions and beat out Foote from day 1? really? no way.
maybe if Joe Burnett wouldn't have gotten canned, some people wouldn't hate DL so much.

phillyesq
07-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Interesting article by Wexell on Spence:

http://pit.scout.com/2/1201233.html

Spence is certainly among the players that I'll be watching most closely on August 9.

Oviedo
07-10-2012, 03:31 PM

Spence is certainly among the players that I'll be watching most closely on August 9.

Other than the DeCastro and Adams because of how importnat they will be to the team, I will also be watching Spence. I'm also very interested in the DB Frederick out of Texas A&M. I've read some very good things about him.

hawaiiansteel
07-10-2012, 03:38 PM

great article, thanks for posting philly! :Cheers

when Spence was drafted I let out a groan of disappointment but the more I read and learn about the kid the more excited I become about his ability to be a starting ILB for us.

RuthlessBurgher
07-10-2012, 03:55 PM
great article, thanks for posting philly! :Cheers

when Spence was drafted I let out a groan of disappointment but the more I read and learn about the kid the more excited I become about his ability to be a starting ILB for us.

I was hoping they would take Ta'Amu with the Spence pick...but when we got Ta'Amu anyway, all was forgiven. :tt2:tt1

flippy
07-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Spence was my favorite pick in this draft. And that's saying a lot because I loved this draft.

If Spence was the right size, he'd have been a top 10 pick.

This kid may have been the best defensive player in college last year. He may be one of the best college LB of all time. And we got him. Who cares that he's small. He could have a Troy P like impact on this defense.

Discipline of Steel
07-10-2012, 05:14 PM
I was hoping they would take Ta'Amu with the Spence pick...but when we got Ta'Amu anyway, all was forgiven. :tt2:tt1

Both your guys came to us later than you expected. You must still be absolutely giddy with this draft!!

RuthlessBurgher
07-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Both your guys came to us later than you expected. You must still be absolutely giddy with this draft!!

After getting DeCastro in round 1, they could have drafted you, Flippy, and Chadman with their next three picks and I still would have been smiling. :p

flippy
07-11-2012, 06:56 AM
After getting DeCastro in round 1, they could have drafted you, Flippy, and Chadman with their next three picks and I still would have been smiling. :p

Hope DoS is ready to play LT and Chadman's working the buffet circuit with Casey.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
07-11-2012, 09:21 AM
I know we keep hearing about Spence being Butlers guy but I'm not so sure there wasn't a little voice in his ear. Tomlin worked with a guy who was very similiar coming out of college and turned out to be a hell of an NFL talent. He reminds me alot of him when you watch him on film. He also was undersized and his play was centered around his unique instincts for his position. If Spence ends up being anything close to Derrick Brooks...We have a gem.

NorthCoast
07-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Using your intellect and football sense in knowing where to position yourself on a play sometimes is all that is needed to equalize the size/strength advantage of the opponent. The very fact that Spence is being noticed this early speaks volumes on his potential.

Oviedo
07-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Using your intellect and football sense in knowing where to position yourself on a play sometimes is all that is needed to equalize the size/strength advantage of the opponent. The very fact that Spence is being noticed this early speaks volumes on his potential.

I agree. Getting noticed as a rookie on a defense known to send rookies to the "gulag" for their rookie seasons is something. We'll see how it plays out when the real hitting starts on just 2 weeks. That really sounds good...only two more weeks!!!!!!

flippy
07-11-2012, 09:53 AM
I agree. Getting noticed as a rookie on a defense known to send rookies to the "gulag" for their rookie seasons is something. We'll see how it plays out when the real hitting starts on just 2 weeks. That really sounds good...only two more weeks!!!!!!

i was thinking the gulag part sounded good. When I first read that, I started thinking gulag might be some nice side dish that's served with pierogis.

Oviedo
07-11-2012, 09:57 AM
i was thinking the gulag part sounded good. When I first read that, I started thinking gulag might be some nice side dish that's served with pierogis.

That would be goulasch. Dammit...now I'm hungry

D Rock
07-11-2012, 10:04 AM

perhaps you'd prefer goulash hahaha

jj28west
07-12-2012, 08:03 PM
I know we keep hearing about Spence being Butlers guy but I'm not so sure there wasn't a little voice in his ear. Tomlin worked with a guy who was very similiar coming out of college and turned out to be a hell of an NFL talent. He reminds me alot of him when you watch him on film. He also was undersized and his play was centered around his unique instincts for his position. If Spence ends up being anything close to Derrick Brooks...We have a gem.

interesting point

steelz09
07-12-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm very interested in seeing how Spense performs in training camp when he has to fight off blockers. Is size a concern... maybe. I'd be a bit less worried if he didn't have such poor bench press stats at the combine. I know that doesn't mean all that much but wasn't it the worst amongst all LBs?

With that being said, I love what I hear about his instincts, explosiveness and "football smarts". I've watched the youtube clips and it's definitely eye opening. One he diagnoses a play (which is VERY quick IMO), he attacks the ball like he's been shot out of a cannon (Polamalu-style). As long as he can hold up at the point of attack, I think we have our ILB of the future. I do think he'll need to bulk up some though.

RuthlessBurgher
07-13-2012, 10:10 AM
I'm very interested in seeing how Spense performs in training camp when he has to fight off blockers. Is size a concern... maybe. I'd be a bit less worried if he didn't have such poor bench press stats at the combine. I know that doesn't mean all that much but wasn't it the worst amongst all LBs?

With that being said, I love what I hear about his instincts, explosiveness and "football smarts". I've watched the youtube clips and it's definitely eye opening. One he diagnoses a play (which is VERY quick IMO), he attacks the ball like he's been shot out of a cannon (Polamalu-style). As long as he can hold up at the point of attack, I think we have our ILB of the future. I do think he'll need to bulk up some though.

Yeah, I believe he had 12, which is quite poor for LB's (for that matter, I think Adams had 19, which is quite poor for OL). I guess we don't put big stock in the bench press numbers (although I think DeCastro's bench #'s were tops among OL). We need to send Spence and Adams to work with Hood and McLendon in the weight room.

Oviedo
07-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Yeah, I believe he had 12, which is quite poor for LB's (for that matter, I think Adams had 19, which is quite poor for OL). I guess we don't put big stock in the bench press numbers (although I think DeCastro's bench #'s were tops among OL). We need to send Spence and Adams to work with Hood and McLendon in the weight room.

The reality is that Spence and Adams probably both need a year of NFL conditioning and weight training. Once they have that I'm really excited about what they could bring.

As far as Adams that is why Starks needs to be back to be part of that mentoring process on how to be a professional and what you need to do. I hope that is soon.

hawaiiansteel
08-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Learning from the vets

Posted by Teresa Varley on August 8, 2012

Rookie linebacker Sean Spence knows his game can’t be one dimensional in the NFL, and that is why he is making sure he follows the lead of fellow linebackers Larry Foote and Lawrence Timmons, picking up on the things that they do each day in practice to improve.

“When you come in as a linebacker you have to do both well, defend the pass and run,” said Spence. “I have been watching Foote and Timmons every day and just learn from those guys.”

And what has he picked up from the veterans?

“A lot,” said Spence. “I am learning technique and what to expect in certain situations and formations. Also going out there and playing fast and having fun.

“They know they are going to get me better, as long as I trust in their technique and do what I need to do, I will get better every day.”

http://blog.steelers.com/2012/08/08/learning-from-the-vets/

Shawn
08-08-2012, 04:50 PM
You can always develop and train strength into a players game. If Spence was as good as he was only benching what he benched...can you imagine how good he will be after a year in the weight room?

RuthlessBurgher
08-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Yeah, you can improve technique and strength with the help of pro coaching...Spence will get better in this regard.

But you can't really do much to improve speed and instincts...those are things that you either have or you don't (and Spence has 'em).

Shawn
08-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Exactly, Ruthless. I'm much less concerned with someones bench press numbers than I am with game film. This kid is a baller. He is going to be a special linebacker.