PDA

View Full Version : OT - Anyone interested in the Pirates around here?

flippy
07-09-2012, 07:40 PM
I don't want to jinx these guys, but they're pretty much the hottest team in baseball and have the 4th best record in the league going into the All Star break.

They have pitching. And maybe an MVP candidate in McCuthchen - 1st in Average, 3 in RBIs, 4th in Homeruns, and 3rd in Runs. It's been ages since we've seen a season like this out of a Pirate and he's been on fire the last month.

Last year, I was hopeful for the Buccos. Then I went to my first game in Atlanta and they lost in 19 innings and their season fell apart from there. I figure if I avoid seeing them play, maybe they can win the World Series this year. That'd be cool if the Pirates won a championship before the Pens and Steelers. Who'da thunk that woulda been possible.

How cool is it to be a Pittsburgh fan? We might have arguably the best player in every major sport - Ben/Troy/Harrison, Crosby/Malkin, and McCutchen.

hawaiiansteel
07-09-2012, 07:50 PM
you mean the first place at the All-Star break Pirates? when was the last time that has happened?

http://www.baseballflagsandpennants.com/images_products/pittsburgh_pirates_championship_banner_22993big.jp g

D Rock
07-09-2012, 08:39 PM
you mean the first place at the All-Star break Pirates? when was the last time that has happened?

Why that would be 1997, of course!

Sugar
07-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Nope. That's baseball- YUCK!!!

papillon
07-09-2012, 10:49 PM
Don't worry they'll trade their good young talent for over the hill average players and end up in the cellar again.

Pappy

D Rock
07-10-2012, 06:35 AM
Don't worry they'll trade their good young talent for over the hill average players and end up in the cellar again.

Pappy

Please no. It's time to be buyers, not sellers!

NorthCoast
07-10-2012, 08:26 AM
having moved out of the 'Burgh many years ago, and not be an avid Bball fan I was surprised to hear them mentioned on national radio the other day (when was the last time that happened?). I was wondering what sparked the turnaround. Thanks for sharing the info, but sadly I have to agree with pappy on this. Current ownership doesnt seem all that interested in fielding a championship team....simply costs too much money.

SidSmythe
07-10-2012, 08:53 AM
ZOLTAN!!!
I have MLB.tv and have been watching all the Pirates games.

These guys are for real. they are YOUNG....all their prospects are now coming thru the system and they have 2 stud pitchers still in the minors.
They have 1 Dominant Starting Pitcher, 1 season'd Vet Starter but their next 3 are in question BUT they have a top 3 Bullpen. they have 3 or 4 excellent Middle relievers. Their closer Hanrahan is on of the best but has had some control issues this year.

I'm very excited....I grew up a METS fan but after they started acting like the Yankees and trying to buy championships I made the switch over to my beloved Pittsburgh Home Town Team. Go Pirates!! ZOLTAN!!!!!

feltdizz
07-10-2012, 10:55 AM

Pappy

No.. that era is over.

They locked up Cutch for 6 years and now that they are selling out games every day they aren't going to screw it up.

DukieBoy
07-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Back in the burgh now, and went to a Bucs game last week, the game they won with a walkoff HR. Great atmosphere, great crowd. Really enjoyed it. McCutchen is a special talent, and it really shows up live. They look god as a team, and it feels like a good 2nd half is ahead for them.

grotonsteel
07-10-2012, 11:38 AM
I give it till All-star break.

Pirates have been a farm team for many baseball teams. Nutting will go nuts during the trade deadline.

His buisness model is quite successful. Keep the wages low as possible and make money on revenue sharing. He does not care about the Pirates fans and they don't matter to him much. All he wants to do is fill his pocket. No desire to win a pennant.

P.S: I am a yankees fan and i don't follow Pirates much.

D Rock
07-10-2012, 11:56 AM

Pirates have been a farm team for many baseball teams. Nutting will go nuts during the trade deadline.

His buisness model is quite successful. Keep the wages low as possible and make money on revenue sharing. He does not care about the Pirates fans and they don't matter to him much. All he wants to do is fill his pocket. No desire to win a pennant.

I guess you don't follow baseball much either, because the all-star break is already here.

grotonsteel
07-10-2012, 12:29 PM
I guess you don't follow baseball much either, because the all-star break is already here.

Last i saw Reds were a game behind.

I did not know Pirates won the Central Division by All-Star break:roll:

Congratulations Pirates on great achievement and being the best team in MLB.

I need to stp following AL East and keep tabs on NL Central Division going forward.

RuthlessBurgher
07-10-2012, 01:52 PM
Nope. That's baseball- YUCK!!!

I'm not a baseball guy either. Football and hockey for me. If a baseball game in on TV, I'll likely be asleep before the inning is over.

feltdizz
07-10-2012, 02:54 PM

well it's all star break... and it makes zero sense to use the past when this team is 11 games over .500 and won 9 of their past 11. They are playin gin front of huge crowds and it's not because its Jason Bay Bobble head night.

The business model made sense when the team stunk and no one was in the stands.

Are you a Lakers fan too? LOL...

feltdizz
07-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Last i saw Reds were a game behind.

I did not know Pirates won the Central Division by All-Star break:roll:

Congratulations Pirates on great achievement and being the best team in MLB.

I need to stp following AL East and keep tabs on NL Central Division going forward.

you did set yourself up with the All Star Break line. LOL...

I'm Pittsbrugh everything so this has been fun to follow. I'm not surprised though... PITT stinks, PSU is pedophiled up, Steelers lost to Tebow and Pens didn't make noise in the playoffs...

It's like God made a pack with Pittsburgh fans who wanted to see the Pirates make some noise.

BURGH86STEEL
07-10-2012, 03:05 PM
well it's all star break... and it makes zero sense to use the past when this team is 11 games over .500 and won 9 of their past 11. They are playin gin front of huge crowds and it's not because its Jason Bay Bobble head night.

I think it's usually like Cowboys, Lakers, Yankees.

I am from Pittsburgh. Win or lose, I have no choice but to be a fan of Pittsburgh teams.

Jigawatts
07-10-2012, 03:16 PM
Grew up watching and cheering the Indians, but always considered the Pirates my 2nd team. Sounds dumb, but baseball is baseball, not football. Over the past few years I've been slowly gravitating towards the Pirates. I'm a huge Steelers fan and a huge Penguins fan so I can't help but feeling a little dirty sitting next to browns fans at a baseball game in Cleveland. So I think to myself, "hey self, why not make it a clean sweep and make the switch?"

Well, because I'm loyal. BUT, I've been going to more and more Pirates games lately and PNC is absolutely beguiling. I've been trying to convince my wife to move to Pittsburgh so I can justify my complete switch from the Indians to the Pirates.:grin: Steelers, Penguins, now the Pirates in the summer... it's an exciting time in Pittsburgh.

grotonsteel
07-10-2012, 07:15 PM

Well no one was in the stand because team was a perennial loser. Blame the ownership for driving away the fans. High draft picks/good players and they could not hold on to anyone. I would say Pirates were one of the worst team in Major league.

Why a Yankees fan?? Staying in NNJ for a long time will make you that. Winning helps in that regard.

I don't follow Basketball in general.I don't understand the technical aspect of the basketball game to be frank . I am a big fan of Kobe Bryant though. I watch his plays highlights whenever he performs well.

Yahoo Sports --> NBA Box Score is the only place i go for basketball.

feltdizz
07-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Pirates management was horrible for.years but they turned the corner last year. I can't really blame them for farming out sub par talent ( most of their players were roll players) to turn a profit.

I don't know... bashing the Pirates management right now is like bashing the Saints FO. after they got Brees

SteelBucks
07-10-2012, 09:03 PM
LETS GO BUCS!

It's nice to have meaningful baseball around here in July. It's been a long 20 years.

fordfixer
07-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Lets go Steelers

Just so no ons complains that this thread should be moved

fordfixer
07-10-2012, 10:03 PM
Baseball is just filler untill untill football starts. And it's not a real good filler

AzStillers1989
07-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Pirates !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bostonsteeler
07-10-2012, 10:43 PM
They were doing OK around this time last year.

I'm used to seeing our baseball and hockey seasons end together.

D Rock
07-11-2012, 02:44 AM
They were doing OK around this time last year.

I'm used to seeing our baseball and hockey seasons end together.

I thought last year was impressive. This year has been much, much better, and far less of an illusion I'm hoping.

flippy
07-11-2012, 06:47 AM
21 of the last 26 World Series have been won by the team with home field advantage.

I couldn't help myself watching the All Star game last night hoping that the NL win so the Buccos could get HFA for the World Series. Am I setting myself up for disappointment?

SteelBucks
07-11-2012, 12:24 PM
I thought last year was impressive. This year has been much, much better, and far less of an illusion I'm hoping.

Their starting pitching should help prevent a collapse.....I hope.

phillyesq
07-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Pirates management was horrible for.years but they turned the corner last year. I can't really blame them for farming out sub par talent ( most of their players were roll players) to turn a profit.

I don't know... bashing the Pirates management right now is like bashing the Saints FO. after they got Brees

Agreed. The Pirates management has really improved.

What is perhaps most impressive to me about the Pirates is that some of their best talent is still in the minors.

D Rock
07-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Their starting pitching should help prevent a collapse.....I hope.

Who was the last really good pitcher the Pirates had? I can't remember a single one in maybe the last 15 years or so.

Agreed. The Pirates management has really improved.

What is perhaps most impressive to me about the Pirates is that some of their best talent is still in the minors.

Hopefully Cole and Taillon can become our version of Randy Johnson and Curt Shilling.

D Rock
07-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Or John Smoltz, Tom Glavine, and Greg Maddux...

Or the trio of Hamels, Lee, and Halladay for the Phillies...

Or Rogers Clemens and Andy Pettitte...

It's sad that it's easier to think of great pitching duos for other teams than one great pitcher for the Buccos.

phillyesq
07-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Or John Smoltz, Tom Glavine, and Greg Maddux...

Or the trio of Hamels, Lee, and Halladay for the Phillies...

Or Rogers Clemens and Andy Pettitte...

It's sad that it's easier to think of great pitching duos for other teams than one great pitcher for the Buccos.

Probably the last great pitcher for the Pirates was Doug Drabek. His son is now pitching for the Blue Jays (he was part of the trade for Doc Halladay). Jason Schmidt was also pretty impressive, though he was traded too soon.

flippy
07-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Who was the last really good pitcher the Pirates had? I can't remember a single one in maybe the last 15 years or so.

Hopefully Cole and Taillon can become our version of Randy Johnson and Curt Shilling.

The best season we've had from a pitcher in the last 15 years was a 15 win season by Todd Ritchie in 99.

feltdizz
07-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Probably the last great pitcher for the Pirates was Doug Drabek. His son is now pitching for the Blue Jays (he was part of the trade for Doc Halladay). Jason Schmidt was also pretty impressive, though he was traded too soon.

yep.. Drabek was nice... what about Tim Wakefield the knuckleballer?

This years team has a dynamic duo.. Burnett has 10 wins, McDonald has 9... their also pretty close friends. I think both could end up with over 15 wins this year.

The Buccos have a pretty favorable schedule too the rest of the way.

aggiebones
07-11-2012, 04:24 PM
"I need to stop following AL East and keep tabs on NL Central Division going forward."
Nah, stay where you are...

Management has changed a bit. This team is built well and has alot in the minors coming up by next year. There are some very exciting players on the way. I'm Steelers, the Pens, but remember the yough days looking over the box scores in the 70s. This team is not selling. They may not go crazy buying a team, but they won't be dumping players. They will try to lock them up and have already showed it.

hawaiiansteel
07-14-2012, 02:15 AM
What to look for from the Pirates in the second half

July 12th, 2012

With what can easily be considered the best first half any Pirates team has put together in the last 20 years, many fans are beginning to believe that this year’s Buccos will finally break the streak of losing seasons and can perhaps make a run at the division. So at the all star break, the fans believe, the coaches believe, the players believe, and from the sound of things, the front office really believes the 2012 Pirates are capable of making a run. With the everyone behind the surging Pirates, we here at BB&G thought it might be a good time to break down the 5 things to expect in the second half from this year’s Pirates:

Big time buyers at the trade deadline- Rumors are already swirling around about the Pirates being buyers at this year’s trade deadline. We have already contacted teams with interest in Justin Upton and Carlos Quentin. Either player would plug the big whole we have in left field and could maybe give the Pirates the edge they need to really be in contention for the division title. But even if we can’t bring in either of these big bats, you can still expect a couple moves to be made. The Pirates will probably try to solidify the back of the rotation somehow but won’t be willing to give up to much in order to do so. Also, it appears that Joel Hanrahan is one of the best bargaining chips we have going, and from the way things look right now, I can’t imagine he will be a Pirate come August.

The cool down of hot bats- The pirates started the season with one of the worst offenses going. For the first month and a half of the season, the team batting average was barely above .200 and they were near the bottom of the league in every major statistical category.Then the middle of May rolled around, and all you can say since is…..WOW!The bats have been ON FIRE! Since mid May, the Pirates are arguably the best offensive team in baseball. Their power numbers are extraordinary all of a sudden and every game someone new is stepping up with a big hit with RISP.

Whether it is Suton hitting a walkoff, Pedro hitting a ball in the river, Mcgehee or McKenry driving in some runs, or Walker going 5 for 5, somebody different is contributing every game. More than anything though, it has more to do with the play of Andrew McCutchen. Everyone knows about how great of a hitter McCutchen has become by now. He leads the majors in batting average and total bases and is in the top 5 in the NL in HR, OBP, OPS, R, and RBI. He is easily on his way to the best season by any Pirate hitter since Barry Bonds. And while McCutchen’s success may very well be sustainable long term, it is not fair to keep expecting the rest of the offense to be producing at such a high level. Alvarez will continue to hit for power, Walker for average, and the roll players could still produce some timely hits but this huge surge in scoring will eventually come back to earth.

Pitching continues to have success- Last year the Pirates fell apart because the pitching couldn’t sustain throughout the course of the long season. This year, things are different. Burnett and McDonald are legit and will continue their track towards success and Jeff Karstens has had back-to-back solid outings. Correia and Bedard could be a little more effective but those positions may be addressed at the deadline. As for the bullpen, their solid play should continue as well. Grilli has had the best season of his career but his strikeout numbers tell me that it might really be for real. Linocln has been absolutely phenomenal in relief and Hanrahan has been solid as the closer. This year you can expect the staff to continue to pitch well which should translate into longterm success.

Home field dominance – Finally, the Pirates use their park to their advantage. They boast the best home field record this year and with the increased attendance, PNC Park has become a very difficult place to play for the opposition. The pitching staff has easily the best home ERA of any team in baseball and the timely hitting as of late has given the Pirates 29-14 record at home in the first half. That kind of record might not be sustainable, but continued success at home is still very realistic.

A close clubhouse – In 2012, anyone who has been watching games on a regular basis can see that this team has fun playing together. They have a great mix of veteran leadership, young talent, and hustle. Simply put, these guys play hard. Not just for themselves and not necessarily for each other even, but for the city as a whole. These guys are all well aware how bad this city wants this team to be successful and they feed off the fans energy. Add that in with a great motivator of a coach, and you have a team that is loose, having fun, and is ready to win.

All things considered, even if the bats slow down, this team can remain competitive. My prediction for the Pirates from here is 87-75 and the second WC spot. I really believe this team has what it takes to stay in the race, but it is important for all other fans to remember that even if the Pirates fall short of the playoffs this year, they have made tremendous strides to become a quality franchise once again. So everyone be sure to get out there and support the Bucs. Embrace this team like you do the Steelers and Penguins, because this team can go as far far as the city pushes them to.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2012/07/12/what-to-look-for-from-the-pirates-in-the-second-half/