PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Base Offense in 2012?

Slapstick
07-08-2012, 10:30 PM
I think it will be a 3 WR base...

I think that Redman will be the RB in the base...he has shown the ability to block in pass pro when needed and has also shown the ability to catch, though he will never be mistaken for LaDanian Tomlinson..

I think that the running game will focus on hitting the hole quickly and getting downfield, keeping the offense ahead of the chains...the 3WRs will command coverage and leave fewer defenders in the box...usually, one guy isn't enough to get Redman down, so the defenders will have to cheat a safety down into the box..and that will open thing up even further in the passing game..

With Pouncey, DeCastro and Colon in the middle, the run game could be deadly with the defenders having to account for the YMC and Heath...successful between the tackles running will be the key to another big year for Wallace and Brown, with Heath, Sanders and Cotchery all benefitting...

Crash
07-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Still an echo on this board I see.

Slapstick
07-08-2012, 11:24 PM
How about an opinion from someone whom I don't want to put on my ignore list?

Crash
07-08-2012, 11:33 PM
I've been preaching the 3 wide base for years Slap, here and elsewhere.

You need to read what's written rather than just WHO is writing it.

Slapstick
07-08-2012, 11:40 PM
I've been preaching the 3 wide base for years Slap, here and elsewhere.

You need to read what's written rather than just WHO is writing it.

You won't let any of us forget who's writing it...that's not the problem...

Crash
07-08-2012, 11:46 PM
"Better yet, I would try Adams at LT where he played last season, if he can handle it I leave him there, leave Gilbert where he was last season, and DeCastro at RG where he played last season also. Leave the OL's where they were last season, put Foster at LG and let this unit grow and blend in together without moving them around"

-Crash April 27 2012

And for four of the five spots? That's exactly what they are doing.

Not bad for a guy who doesn't WORK in the NFL huh?

Slapstick
07-08-2012, 11:58 PM
He is a right guard. Tha's where he played at Stanford.

- Mike Tomlin April 26 2012

Reporter: Does [drafting Adams] change your plans to move Marcus Gilbert to left tackle?

Sean Kugler: I'm going to have a few beers tonight and think about it.

- Press Conference April 27 2012

Nice predictions, Nostradamus...

Crash
07-09-2012, 12:03 AM
Thanks. I said them first.

I also said that Mike Tomlin would win his first SB inside three years during the first month of his first season.

RuthlessBurgher
07-09-2012, 12:26 PM
To get the thread back on topic, I'll agree with Slap on the 3-wide base offense (and thereby agree with Crash for the second time today), although I don't plan on dislocating my own shoulders from patting myself on the back about it.

flippy
07-09-2012, 12:58 PM
My vote's for the triple lindy.

RuthlessBurgher
07-09-2012, 01:16 PM
My vote's for the triple lindy.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/ItCWg1iz3Ss/0.jpg

Jooser
07-09-2012, 01:48 PM
I say go with a wishbone or power I formation with an extra tackle and 2 Tight Ends, gotta keep us yinzer idiots happy ya know?

flippy
07-09-2012, 02:11 PM
I say go with a wishbone or power I formation with an extra tackle and 2 Tight Ends, gotta keep us yinzer idiots happy ya know?

Dwyer has experience running out of 3 back sets in college. This could play to our strengths.

Slapstick
07-09-2012, 03:18 PM
I think that Haley will adjust the base offense according to the game plan...

For example, in KC, there were games when FB Le'Ron McClain played 33 snaps and games when he played 3 snaps (literally)...

But, given the talent at WR, QB and TE, 3 WR seems the way to go...

grotonsteel
07-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Look at my signature..please...

One does not need a rocket scientist to decide that best 11 players should on the field majority of the time. When you start playing scrubs like D-Johnson and Co. you are in trouble.

Steelers have good WR depth. Steelers have a HOF QB. Use them.

Marty ball has to go. Infact i would like to add quite a few empty backfield set in the play calling. 3-WR/4-WR is the way to go.

RuthlessBurgher
07-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Look at my signature..please...

One does not need a rocket scientist to decide that best 11 players should on the field majority of the time. When you start playing scrubs like D-Johnson and Co. you are in trouble.

Steelers have good WR depth. Steelers have a HOF QB. Use them.

Marty ball has to go. Infact i would like to add quite a few empty backfield set in the play calling. 3-WR/4-WR is the way to go.

I LOVE 3-WR sets, but HATE empty backfield sets. Zero threat of a run, so the defense can just pin their ears back and rush without having to worry about maintaining rush lanes, plus there is no one in the backfield as a last line of defense to protect Ben from any rushers who come free.

feltdizz
07-09-2012, 03:52 PM
The empty set was a dead give away last year but with Batch or Rainey in the slot you still have the option to run out of it if you put them in motion...

In past years the empty backfield was a stupid idea because our OL was pathetic. Now we have an OL (on paper) that should be able to protect Ben.

grotonsteel
07-09-2012, 03:55 PM
I LOVE 3-WR sets, but HATE empty backfield sets. Zero threat of a run, so the defense can just pin their ears back and rush without having to worry about maintaining rush lanes, plus there is no one in the backfield as a last line of defense to protect Ben from any rushers who come free.

Bubble Screen is the answer to beat the rush. Ball has to come out of Ben's hand within 2 sec on such plays. Rainey or MW could be really dangerous on such plays.

I think empty backfield will work with improved O-line. Well on paper O-line looks improved.

Slapstick

Really, I don't necessarily have a problem with empty backfield sets in and of themselves...

I just think that with the offensive line talent we had last year, it ended up being ineffective...

With an improved o-line and legit backfield threats (if Batch and/or Rainey can be) it can work...

grotonsteel
The empty set was a dead give away last year but with Batch or Rainey in the slot you still have the option to run out of it if you put them in motion...

In past years the empty backfield was a stupid idea because our OL was pathetic. Now we have an OL (on paper) that should be able to protect Ben.

+1

I have to agree with this.

Slapstick
07-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Bubble Screen is the answer to beat the rush. Ball has to come out of Ben's hand within 2 sec on such plays. Rainey or MW could be really dangerous on such plays.

I think empty backfield will work with improved O-line. Well on paper O-line looks improved.

You had me until you said bubble screen...

grotonsteel
07-09-2012, 04:05 PM
You had me until you said bubble screen...

:D

I am telling ya Bubble Screen works if called properly and at appropriate time. People keep thinking about terell suggs INT last season but Bubble Screen has been productive. 6 YPC on a bubble screen is not bad.

flippy
07-09-2012, 04:07 PM
While I think we all agree the 3 WR set is our best option, one thing to consider is Ben puts up his best numbers when we have multiple TEs on the field. His numbers, YPA, completion %, etc. are all better with multiple TE sets.

So there is a case for DJ as bad as that feels to say.

RuthlessBurgher
07-09-2012, 04:29 PM
While I think we all agree the 3 WR set is our best option, one thing to consider is Ben puts up his best numbers when we have multiple TEs on the field. His numbers, YPA, completion %, etc. are all better with multiple TE sets.

So there is a case for DJ as bad as that feels to say.

Our OL has been so bad, that those TE's were primarily used to block in order to not get Ben killed. Ben was more effective with more time. If our new OL can give Ben more time, while also having more weapons out running patterns as well, his efficiency should go through the roof!

Slapstick
07-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Our OL has been so bad, that those TE's were primarily used to block in order to not get Ben killed. Ben was more effective with more time. If our new OL can give Ben more time, while also having more weapons out running patterns as well, his efficiency should go through the roof!

This is correct...

But, what I think Haley's plan needs to do is force defenses to cover every inch of the field...

I don't want to see Heath Miller running open for a first down while Ben tries to force the big play and throws incomplete...

With the guys the Steelers will have available in short, intermediate and deep routes, not to mention a tough inside runner like Redman, there shouldn't be any reason that the Steelers can't have an offense as feared as their defense...