PDA

View Full Version : Grading the Steelers' 2009 draft

hawaiiansteel
07-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Grading 2009 draft: Pittsburgh Steelers

July, 6, 2012
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

All this week, the AFC North blog has taken a look back at the 2009 draft for each team in the division. For Friday, we'll wrap up the draft reviews with the Pittsburgh Steelers:

First round: Ziggy Hood, DE

Third round: Kraig Urbik, G, Mike Wallace, WR, and Keenan Lewis, CB

Fifth round: Joe Burnett, DB, Frank Summers, RB

Sixth round: Ra'Shon Harris, DT

Seventh round: A.Q. Shipley, C, and David Johnson, TE

Thumbs up: The Steelers came away with one of the steals of the 2009 draft by getting Wallace at the 84th pick. He was the 11th wide receiver taken in this draft after the likes of Darrius Heyward-Bey (Raiders), Mohamed Massaquoi (Browns), Brian Robiskie (Browns), Derrick Williams (Lions) and Brandon Tate (Patriots). Wallace's 3,206 yards receiving are the second-most by an active wide receiver in his first three seasons (ranks only behind Anquan Boldin). Hood has quietly stepped up as a starter the past two years when Aaron Smith was injured. Some suggest he's been a disappointment. Hood was the lowest graded 3-4 defensive end, according to Pro Football Focus. The Steelers have gotten some use out of Johnson, who could become the team's fullback this season.

Thumbs down: Urbik was a bust for the Steelers, getting cut after one full season when he lost the backup job to Ramon Foster. But Urbik proved to be one of the top pass-protecting guards in the NFL after making 13 starts last season for the Bills. Maybe the Steelers gave up on Urbik too quickly. Lewis, the last of the Steelers' three third-round picks in this draft, has been a role player behind William Gay and Bryant McFadden. With those veterans gone, this year will tell a lot about Lewis and his future with the Steelers. Burnett is now playing for the CFL's Edmonton Eskimos after playing 15 games and recording no interceptions for Pittsburgh.

Hensley's grade: B-minus. The only established starter in this draft has been Wallace, who happens to be the AFC North's best player from this draft. It's not even close. Hood has been adequate as a fill-in starter, and Lewis has yet to make a significant impact. Johnson has provided production as a seventh-round pick, which is a pleasant surprise.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...burgh-steelers (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/50551/grading-2009-draft-pittsburgh-steelers)

flippy
07-07-2012, 01:20 PM
It'll be interesting to see what Lewis does this year.

We also got some undrafted guys in Legursky and Foster out of that class as well. That's 2 good backup Olinemen that are quality fill in starters.

Discipline of Steel
07-07-2012, 02:27 PM

We also got some undrafted guys in Legursky and Foster out of that class as well. That's 2 good backup Olinemen that are quality fill in starters.

Good point, you would have to call 2009 a success. 'A' grade if we just hadnt rid ourselves of Urbik so quickly. Who do we blame for that ? haha

DrCalculus
07-07-2012, 11:33 PM

And probably 2012 starting running back Ike Redman was also signed as an undrafted free agent that spring, too. And super 2009 return man Stefan Logan.

Oviedo
07-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Grading 2009 draft: Pittsburgh Steelers

July, 6, 2012
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

All this week, the AFC North blog has taken a look back at the 2009 draft for each team in the division. For Friday, we'll wrap up the draft reviews with the Pittsburgh Steelers:

First round: Ziggy Hood, DE

Third round: Kraig Urbik, G, Mike Wallace, WR, and Keenan Lewis, CB

Fifth round: Joe Burnett, DB, Frank Summers, RB

Sixth round: Ra'Shon Harris, DT

Seventh round: A.Q. Shipley, C, and David Johnson, TE

Thumbs up: The Steelers came away with one of the steals of the 2009 draft by getting Wallace at the 84th pick. He was the 11th wide receiver taken in this draft after the likes of Darrius Heyward-Bey (Raiders), Mohamed Massaquoi (Browns), Brian Robiskie (Browns), Derrick Williams (Lions) and Brandon Tate (Patriots). Wallace's 3,206 yards receiving are the second-most by an active wide receiver in his first three seasons (ranks only behind Anquan Boldin). Hood has quietly stepped up as a starter the past two years when Aaron Smith was injured. Some suggest he's been a disappointment. Hood was the lowest graded 3-4 defensive end, according to Pro Football Focus. The Steelers have gotten some use out of Johnson, who could become the team's fullback this season.

Thumbs down: Urbik was a bust for the Steelers, getting cut after one full season when he lost the backup job to Ramon Foster. But Urbik proved to be one of the top pass-protecting guards in the NFL after making 13 starts last season for the Bills. Maybe the Steelers gave up on Urbik too quickly. Lewis, the last of the Steelers' three third-round picks in this draft, has been a role player behind William Gay and Bryant McFadden. With those veterans gone, this year will tell a lot about Lewis and his future with the Steelers. Burnett is now playing for the CFL's Edmonton Eskimos after playing 15 games and recording no interceptions for Pittsburgh.

Hensley's grade: B-minus. The only established starter in this draft has been Wallace, who happens to be the AFC North's best player from this draft. It's not even close. Hood has been adequate as a fill-in starter, and Lewis has yet to make a significant impact. Johnson has provided production as a seventh-round pick, which is a pleasant surprise.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...burgh-steelers (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/50551/grading-2009-draft-pittsburgh-steelers)

Steelers did give up on Urbik too quick. It would have nice to have a Guard who could actually pass block.

Jooser
07-08-2012, 08:41 AM
It woulda been nice to have a guard who could push the pile into the endzone on 2nd and short at the GL. -Just Sayin

Oviedo
07-08-2012, 11:22 AM
It woulda been nice to have a guard who could push the pile into the endzone on 2nd and short at the GL. -Just Sayin

We haven't had that the past couple of years with the Foster, Kemo Legursky combo. They are the main reason our short yardage performace has sucked.

Slapstick
07-08-2012, 12:29 PM
We haven't had that the past couple of years with the Foster, Kemo Legursky combo. They are the main reason our short yardage performace has sucked.

The Steelers' short yardage performance hasn't sucked...when Redman was in the lineup...

Last year Redman converted 9 of 11 first downs on 3rd and less than three...

He also converted 1 of 1 first downs on 4th and less than three...

Arians had the annoying tendency of taking Redman out when the Steelers O made it inside the five...

Crash
07-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Arians had the annoying tendency of taking Redman out when the Steelers O made it inside the five...

So rather than tip his hand he would keep Mendenhall in, who's a legit threat will his legs and his hands.

Sounds like a smart football decision, no?

Or do you condone predictability when it features the run game?

Slapstick
07-08-2012, 12:49 PM
I condone results.

hawaiiansteel
07-08-2012, 11:22 PM
So rather than tip his hand he would keep Mendenhall in, who's a legit threat will his legs and his hands.

yeah, those 18 catches for 154 yards and zero TDs Mendy caught out of the backfield last season really kept opposing defenses guessing...:roll:

Crash
07-08-2012, 11:38 PM
yeah, those 18 catches for 154 yards and zero TDs Mendy caught out of the backfield last season really kept opposing defenses guessing...:roll:

They used Mendy to block at times. The OL was so bad that often when they threw in the red zone they had Mendy/Moore and Heath Miller as side car blockers.

Mendenhall had NINE TD's last season in 15 games, ALL of which, were in the red zone.

What does it matter how he gets in? If it was 5 rushing and 4 receiving it's still the same 9.

Slapstick
07-08-2012, 11:39 PM

Wouldn't want to tip his hand now, eh?

NorthCoast
07-09-2012, 09:13 AM
Cutting Urbik was a real headscratcher. With the sorry state of our OL at the time, how could the coaching staff possibly mis-evaluate Urbik that badly? Maybe the light didn't turn on for Urbik until it was too late, but we have kept lesser Olinemen for longer, waiting on their game.

phillyesq
07-09-2012, 10:02 AM

Not to mention that Redman actually has more career receiving TDs than Mendenhall (2-1).

SteelerOfDeVille
07-10-2012, 12:04 AM
in the end, if DeCastro pans out, it's a good thing to have given up on Ubrik... we might have passed on Decastro.. just sayin...

Discipline of Steel
07-10-2012, 07:08 AM
in the end, if DeCastro pans out, it's a good thing to have given up on Ubrik... we might have passed on Decastro.. just sayin...

Im not so sure, both our OG were below average last year.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-10-2012, 09:35 AM
And probably 2012 starting running back Ike Redman was also signed as an undrafted free agent that spring, too. And super 2009 return man Stefan Logan.

Logan did not come out of the draft. He was from the CFL.

grotonsteel
07-10-2012, 10:20 AM
2009 was a successful draft. 5 players are still in NFL and add Redman to it.

A pro-bowl WR. in Mike Wallace.

Cb on the cusp of becoming a starter. Keenan Lewis.

D-lineman who is struggling to hold his spot.Ziggy Hood.

Starter for Bills at OG who was cut by us. Kraig Ubrik.

Starting RB. Redman.

Now 2008 was a disastrous draft.

Slapstick
07-10-2012, 10:49 AM
D-lineman who is struggling to hold his spot.Ziggy Hood.

Really? Since when?

Oviedo
07-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Cutting Urbik was a real headscratcher. With the sorry state of our OL at the time, how could the coaching staff possibly mis-evaluate Urbik that badly? Maybe the light didn't turn on for Urbik until it was too late, but we have kept lesser Olinemen for longer, waiting on their game.

Never made sense to me why they let him go and kept others. Especially when the team said he wasn't a "practice player" but his game performance was always good.

Water under the bridge now because hpefully we have quality OL and the ones that were substandard starters will be back ups like they should have been all along.

grotonsteel
07-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Really? Since when?

Since his rookie season i guess. The only reason he was starting because A-Smith got injured. And now news is Cameron Heyward might replace Ziggy.

grotonsteel
07-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Never made sense to me why they let him go and kept others. Especially when the team said he wasn't a "practice player" but his game performance was always good.

Water under the bridge now because hpefully we have quality OL and the ones that were substandard starters will be back ups like they should have been all along.

Ubrik is really good in pass-protection. I guess Steelers did not rate pass-protection as their top priority. They prefered maulers with their guts out and Ubrik did not fit that.

SteelerOfDeVille
07-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Im not so sure, both our OG were below average last year.

I hear ya... but, spending a 1st... they may well have said, "we have urbik and Pouncey - the interior is solid... we can find a starter at guard from the other linemen on the team. Let's get a 1st round LB to replace Farrior"... butterfly, effect, man.

Oviedo
07-10-2012, 12:24 PM
Ubrik is really good in pass-protection. I guess Steelers did not rate pass-protection as their top priority. They prefered maulers with their guts out and Ubrik did not fit that.

I guess I missed who our Guards were mauling. I didn't see it but I did see a whole lot of getting stood up at the LOS and getting pushed back into our own backfield. If that is being a mauler then I hope we don't have any.

Slapstick
07-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Since his rookie season i guess. The only reason he was starting because A-Smith got injured. And now news is Cameron Heyward might replace Ziggy.

Hood came onto a team with two firmly entrenched and well compensated starters at DE filling the two positions...No, I don't fault him for not beating them out as a rookie...

I haven't read any "news" saying that Heyward might replace Ziggy (thought I do think that Heyward is a great talent), more like blogger speculation, which is pretty much what posters do on this board...I've not heard anything other than Ziggy taking the majority of snaps with the first team in minicamp and OTAs...

Slapstick
07-10-2012, 01:04 PM
I guess I missed who our Guards were mauling. I didn't see it but I did see a whole lot of getting stood up at the LOS and getting pushed back into our own backfield. If that is being a mauler then I hope we don't have any.

They did okay in run blocking...better than pass pro...

I blame Arians for not being committed to actually running the ball and being beyond predictable when he did...

birtikidis
07-10-2012, 01:28 PM
I like how people forget that Kiesel is a pretty darn good football player. IMO he's almost as good as Smitty was. Not beating guys like that out isn't surprising to me in the least.

Shoe
07-10-2012, 01:54 PM
I like how people forget that Kiesel is a pretty darn good football player. IMO he's almost as good as Smitty was. Not beating guys like that out isn't surprising to me in the least.

Well, kiesel is solid. I give you that. But as far as I'm concerned, hood better step right in this year and dominate. When I say dominate, I don't mean put up huge numbers. But "dominate" in our scheme does mean setting that edge, being a rock... You can do that w/o gaudy statistics... Because hood has had lots of playing time due to smith's injury... He should be ready to rock and roll... Right off the bat!

RuthlessBurgher
07-10-2012, 02:18 PM

Well, Aaron Smith, when healthy, was among the greatest 3-4 DE's of all time. I didn't expect him to start ahead of a healthy Aaron Smith...it made sense that he started when Smith got injured.

flippy
07-11-2012, 06:58 AM
Well, kiesel is solid. I give you that. But as far as I'm concerned, hood better step right in this year and dominate. When I say dominate, I don't mean put up huge numbers. But "dominate" in our scheme does mean setting that edge, being a rock... You can do that w/o gaudy statistics... Because hood has had lots of playing time due to smith's injury... He should be ready to rock and roll... Right off the bat!

I have a feeling the DLineman that's going to step in and dominate and surprise everyone this year is McClendon.

Oviedo
07-11-2012, 09:52 AM
I have a feeling the DLineman that's going to step in and dominate and surprise everyone this year is McClendon.

I also believe that McLendon is a player on the rise. I love the way he plays. He is much more of a penetrator like Hoke was but with more athleticism. He reminds me of Ratliff from the Cowboys instead of a tree stump like Hampton.

As anyone who has been on the board knows I really like DL who attack and penetrate versus just holding their ground which is why I think Mclendon will be a bright spot this season.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Every rook steps into a different situation. Decastro not starting day 1 would be a huge disappointment. Not just because he was a first rounder but because his competition is extremely limited. Adams has a legit chance to start at tackle from day 1 as well. Same reason.

When Hood and Heyward were each drafted we had high quality aging starters ahead of them, but we needed to prepare for their departure. That is what we did. The first opening comes this season and we have two first rounders competing for that spot. Keisel's deal expires after next season but age and injury factors will give the other first rounder some significant backup playing time, and then a starting spot.

You have to take into account the circumstances instead of simply judging a player's failings on general expectations.

Oviedo
07-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Every rook steps into a different situation. Decastro not starting day 1 would be a huge disappointment. Not just because he was a first rounder but because his competition is extremely limited. Adams has a legit chance to start at tackle from day 1 as well. Same reason.

When Hood and Heyward were each drafted we had high quality aging starters ahead of them, but we needed to prepare for their departure. That is what we did. The first opening comes this season and we have two first rounders competing for that spot. Keisel's deal expires after next season but age and injury factors will give the other first rounder some significant backup playing time, and then a starting spot.

You have to take into account the circumstances instead of simply judging a player's failings on general expectations.

Are you suggesting that rational thought be used on a fan message board? Pretty radical idea.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
07-11-2012, 01:05 PM
Are you suggesting that rational thought be used on a fan message board? Pretty radical idea.

I apologize......BUST!!!!

flippy
07-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Speaking of the DLine, I can see a lot of PT for all the guys in a rotation. Remember, we still need 4 guys that can generate pressure without blitzing as teams start to pass more and more.

Wonder if Keisel, Hood, McClendon, and Heyward could generate a pass rush as a front 4?

RuthlessBurgher
07-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Speaking of the DLine, I can see a lot of PT for all the guys in a rotation. Remember, we still need 4 guys that can generate pressure without blitzing as teams start to pass more and more.

Wonder if Keisel, Hood, McClendon, and Heyward could generate a pass rush as a front 4?

When we are in nickel and dime situations, you are more likely to see Woodley/Harrison/Worilds as pass rushing DE's.

flippy
07-11-2012, 03:36 PM
When we are in nickel and dime situations, you are more likely to see Woodley/Harrison/Worilds as pass rushing DE's.

That's what I'd expect, but I'm not sure I always like this in the nickle and dime. I'd rather have 4 big uglies that can really collapse the pocket and/or penetrate.

I could see Hood and McClendon as guys that can penetrate as DTs. And Keisel and Heyward are both athletic/big/fast enough to bring more pressure off the edges without getting easily consumed by an OLineman,

aggiebones
07-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Ever heard of play action?
When you have a tank that converts at a HIGH rate on short yardage, then teams either commit more players to stop it or they continue to get bowled into the endzone. You never knew what you were gonna get from Mendi. Was he gonna stick it up in there or tiptoe outside, mostly tiptoe. Yea, he periodically beat weak teams to the edge, but wasn't strong enough at the point of attack to scare a D into committing to stop the run up the gut.
How often did Redman need 1 and get 3? The success rates for him on short yardage were ridiculous. And he can catch out of the backfield as well, as we all saw in the game against Ravens.

Old administration really left alot of points on the board trying to force Mendi to be a goal line guy, which he's not.