PDA

View Full Version : ILB Ryan Baker signs with the Pittsburgh Steelers

SteelCrazy
07-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Blountstown’s own Ryan Baker is headed north after signing with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

When quarterback Troy Smith was released last Monday, a space opened on the team and the Steelers have decided to give Baker a shot.

Ryan tried out, along with New England Patriots linebacker Markell Carter, who was not signed.

“I’m excited, thankful, eager to get started - just everything bottled into one emotion about this opportunity,” Ryan tells The County Record. “This is something I told myself early in my life I wanted to be a part of so I’m taking all the necessary steps.”

A former star for the Blountstown Tigers, Baker played outside linebacker for Louisiana State University, starting his junior and senior year. His stats included 87 tackles and seven sacks as a junior, then 58 tackles his senior year.

Ryan finds himself in the opportunity of a lifetime as an inside linebacker prospect for the Steelers. He was initially signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but didn’t make the roster. His challenge is being slightly smaller (5’11” and 232 lbs.) than the typical NFL linebacker, but his speed is a plus. During the 2012 NFL Combine, he ran the 40 in 4.74.

It’s Baker’s time to shine and he is seizing the moment, ready to work harder than ever with his eye on the prize.

“You cheat yourself, you’re cheating your life,” says Ryan. “Only God knows what’s in store for us.”

http://www.thecountyrecord.net/archives/2606-Ryan-Baker-signs-with-the-Pittsburgh-Steelers.html

Oviedo
07-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Interesting that with the addition of Baker and Spence the Steelers now have two shorter than the profile ILBs. Coincidence?? Something afoot??? Innovation perhaps??

ikestops85
07-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Interesting that with the addition of Baker and Spence the Steelers now have two shorter than the profile ILBs. Coincidence?? Something afoot??? Innovation perhaps??

Nah, LeBeau has never been known for innovation. :roll:

SteelCrazy
07-05-2012, 01:26 PM

It cant be innovation...Dick LeBeau is a total moron that cant do better than a #1 Defense almost every year. It has to be Art II making this call....

Oviedo
07-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Nah, LeBeau has never been known for innovation. :roll:

Not true except for the past three years. Before that there was alot. Now its just put out the template.:stirpot

RuthlessBurgher
07-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Since when is speed a plus for a 5'11" 232 lbs. linebacker who runs a 4.74 40?

Oviedo
07-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Since when is speed a plus for a 5'11" 232 lbs. linebacker who runs a 4.74 40?

I found that interesting too. A 4.5-4.6 is fast for a LB but wouldn't say 4.74 unless of course they have other times from a Pro Day or something.

Got to wonder about the times though. What do really think Ryan Clark runs the 40 in as a FS? Woodley? Harrison? When you do get a LB who can really run like Timmons then he is accused of not being "stout."