PDA

View Full Version : Should We Allow PSU Players on Steelers' Roster?

flippy
07-02-2012, 08:21 AM
Now that there's proof that JoePa knew about Sandusky and covered up the crime, does that show that the entire PSU culture was infected?

This was a man that molded young men to prepare them to play in the NFL. Now it seems a little tainted. Seems like the only team that should draft PSU players from here on out in the Bengals.

PSUers worshiped JoePa. His players worshiped him. Is that ingrained in the character of the university? That type of thinking? That type of character?

I know we seem to need a PSU player to win championships. So I'm torn. But do we really want players that have been infected by this horrific culture in what may now be considered the worst program in college football history?

If Goodell wants to send a message to protect the shield of the NFL, why not suspend all players who went to PSU indefinitely? We don't need this culture infecting the league.

The worst part is everyone sticking up for JoePa when this all went down.

Slapstick
07-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Please tell me that you are joking...

I know that most of your posts are tongue-in-cheek, but the lack of smiley faces confuses me...

Oviedo
07-02-2012, 08:41 AM
Is there proof? I haven't seen anything. Besides I'm sure this is a sign of temporary insanity on your part due to the boredom of the off season to even post anything like this.

Slapstick
07-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Is there proof? I haven't seen anything. Besides I'm sure this is a sign of temporary insanity on your part due to the boredom of the off season to even post anything like this.

There is an e-mail from AD Tim Curley dated 2/26/01 stating that he (Curley) "thought things over and talked with Joe" before deciding not to turn Sandusky over to child services...VP Gary Schultz apparently went along with it...

flippy
07-02-2012, 09:42 AM
It's offseason boredom for the most part.

But I saw the email allegations and started wondering if JoePa was a cancer on the character of young men who played football at PSU.

Just remember how players and fans and alum stood up for him. Do we want these kinds of players on our roster?

I'm not completely serious about this of course. But thought it may be worth considering. We don't want players with questionable backgrounds for the most part. Would choosing to go to Penn State be a lack in judgement that's worthy of questioning?

If Goodell is going after the Saints the way he is right now, it seems reasonable to think that PSU players in the league might hurt the shield of the NFL just as much if not more.

Ghost
07-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Of course not but I thought there were quite a few ex-PSU players (and students and alumni) who just didn't get it. Their expectations that the new coach be a "PSU guy" were moronic. They didn't understand you needed to make a completely clean break so when your new head coach was sitting in recruit's houses he could honestly say, "I wasn't involved in anything with Sandusky. I'm here to run a clean program." I thought they should have fired every single coach that was there under Joe Pa ( I believe they kept a few) and started fresh across the board.

Oviedo
07-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Of course not but I thought there were quite a few ex-PSU players (and students and alumni) who just didn't get it. Their expectations that the new coach be a "PSU guy" were moronic. They didn't understand you needed to make a completely clean break so when your new head coach was sitting in recruit's houses he could honestly say, "I wasn't involved in anything with Sandusky. I'm here to run a clean program." I thought they should have fired every single coach that was there under Joe Pa ( I believe they kept a few) and started fresh across the board.

Hiring O'Brien was a really smart move. Clean break with the past and a guy who can really say I know how to get you ready for Pro football. All he needs is a QB because the two at PSU now stink. Looks like he has already lined up a great one in next years recruiting class.

I hope to see Penn State come out with a Pro-style offense that can really put points on the board. This year will be tough, but in two years they will challenge for the Big 10 title.

Slapstick
07-02-2012, 11:34 AM
It's offseason boredom for the most part.

But I saw the email allegations and started wondering if JoePa was a cancer on the character of young men who played football at PSU.

Just remember how players and fans and alum stood up for him. Do we want these kinds of players on our roster?

I'm not completely serious about this of course. But thought it may be worth considering. We don't want players with questionable backgrounds for the most part. Would choosing to go to Penn State be a lack in judgement that's worthy of questioning?

If Goodell is going after the Saints the way he is right now, it seems reasonable to think that PSU players in the league might hurt the shield of the NFL just as much if not more.

If all of the PSU players knew about the abuse and aided in the cover up, I could see your point...

JoePa built his own image up and pretty much hornswoggled all of Happy Valley...

I don't blame the players for that...

Djfan
07-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Hey Flip,

I heard that there were some pedophiles, gangsters and drug pushers living in your city. It makes me wonder if you have just come to accept that this is OK. So, I am asking the mods, should we have a guy on this board who is like this?

Protect the PS badge, I say.

feltdizz
07-02-2012, 12:57 PM
LOL... the PSU players had no idea.

flippy
07-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Hey Flip,

I heard that there were some pedophiles, gangsters and drug pushers living in your city. It makes me wonder if you have just come to accept that this is OK. So, I am asking the mods, should we have a guy on this board who is like this?

Protect the PS badge, I say.

I had a feeling you were becoming a Goodell convert ;)

Oviedo
07-02-2012, 02:31 PM
If all of the PSU players knew about the abuse and aided in the cover up, I could see your point...

JoePa built his own image up and pretty much hornswoggled all of Happy Valley...

I don't blame the players for that...

Right! Paterno hornswoggled everyone for 50+ years. I heard he was in the Mafia too because he is Italian. Also something about being in charge of Area 51 which is really under Beaver Stadium.

Djfan
07-02-2012, 03:22 PM
I had a feeling you were becoming a Goodell convert ;)

Reductio Ad Absurdum, my friend.

flippy
07-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Reductio Ad Absurdum, my friend.

Using Latin on a Steelers board - Reductio Ad Absurdum :)

Crash
07-02-2012, 03:44 PM
And the Steelers were PO'd that PITT didn't hire Bradley.

If Joe knew? They ALL KNEW.

That program should be shut down for 2 years, at least.

phillyesq
07-02-2012, 04:22 PM
There is an e-mail from AD Tim Curley dated 2/26/01 stating that he (Curley) "thought things over and talked with Joe" before deciding not to turn Sandusky over to child services...VP Gary Schultz apparently went along with it...

The e-mails are not good for PSU or anybody involved. However, I haven't seen where the e-mails showed what Joe said. No, Curley did change his mind after talking to Joe, but from the e-mail, it is not clear that this was because of something that Joe said.

Since we've broken into Latin, this is the common logical fallacy of post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Crash
07-02-2012, 04:30 PM
Yeah Paterno didn't know anything. His "superiors" f'd it all up. LOL

SidSmythe
07-02-2012, 05:29 PM
I knew as soon as I read the title, this was a Flippy Thread. LoL

I still think Cal-Berkeley is worse than PSU!! :D

Djfan
07-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Using Latin on a Steelers board - Reductio Ad Absurdum :)

Sorry. I'll keep it monosyllabic.

Slapstick
07-02-2012, 08:08 PM
The e-mails are not good for PSU or anybody involved. However, I haven't seen where the e-mails showed what Joe said. No, Curley did change his mind after talking to Joe, but from the e-mail, it is not clear that this was because of something that Joe said.

Since we've broken into Latin, this is the common logical fallacy of post hoc ergo propter hoc.

This is true...

But, the perception is that JoePa ran PSU...

If Sandusky wasn't reported, it's beacsue JoePa said so...

feltdizz
07-02-2012, 09:36 PM
This is true...

But, the perception is that JoePa ran PSU...

If Sandusky wasn't reported, it's beacsue JoePa said so...

I heard that the current AD was a ball bay at PSU... if this is true then yeah, Joe gave the orders.. lol.

Ghost
07-03-2012, 08:53 AM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6sxG8UFz8MeHUziuBL04JYAXOschaw QppSKHF8Hk1s-pFB9Jd

grotonsteel
07-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Yes we should allow PSU players on the Steelers roster. Steelers have not won a SB without a PSU player being on team.

Oviedo
07-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Joe Pa. RIP.