PDA

View Full Version : 25 Days Til Camp-What vets are in trouble?

Oviedo
06-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Off the top of my head:

Will Allen
Foster, Legursky, Essex_only two make it because I think Beachum takes a spot
Dwyer or Clay

Slapstick
06-30-2012, 11:46 AM
Jonathan Scott...

Especially if Max Starks is resigned...

Chris Scott made strides last year but didn't perfrom well in preseason...we'll have to see what he does in TC and the preseason this year...

RuthlessBurgher
06-30-2012, 02:47 PM
I think UDFA punter Butler from Georgia has a shot at beating out Kapinos for the starting gig.

hawaiiansteel
06-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Jonathan Scott...

Will Steelers LT Max Starks Be Ready For Training Camp?

by Neal Coolong on Jun 30, 2012

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4522051/130977060_extra_large.jpg

If nothing else, former Steelers LT Max Starks is optimistic.

Odds were long against him, suffering a torn ACL in the team's final game last season, and to make it all the way back from that in time to participate in training camp would be special, indeed.

Starks doesn't just believe he'll be back, he's putting in the intense amount of work it takes to repair the ligament to the point he'd be able to play for the Steelers in 2012.

What that would mean to the roster is interesting in and of itself.

Starks responded to a tweet from Steelers Depot, asking if he'd be ready for training camp, which begins a little less than a month from now.

He also pointed out he reached "peak force" in squats, and that it "feels good to almost be back to 100 percent."

Starks is a fan favorite. As the only player in NFL history to start at both tackle positions for a Super Bowl champion, and having essentially bailed the Steelers out last year, it's hard not to root for him.

If the Steelers deemed him worthy of a contract (he's currently an unrestricted free agent), it would give the Steelers a training camp depth chart at tackle consisting of Starks, Marcus Gilbert, Jonathan Scott, Mike Adams, Chris Scott and Kyle Jolly.

Or, it would essentially make Jonathan Scott and his contract look mighty expendable.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/6/30/3127812/pittsburgh-steelers-2012-training-camp-max-starks-jonathan-scott-salary-cap#storyjump

Oviedo
07-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Jonathan Scott...

Chris Scott made strides last year but didn't perfrom well in preseason...we'll have to see what he does in TC and the preseason this year...

I think it will be far more difficult for Starks to come back unless they get him real soon. Remember this offense is different and the blocking calls have all changed. Starks would not be coming back into the same situation where it was an offense he had down pat.

Don't get me wrong, I want Starks back really bad but the longer it goes the more likely I think it may not happen.

Oviedo
07-01-2012, 10:30 AM
I think UDFA punter Butler from Georgia has a shot at beating out Kapinos for the starting gig.

Kapinos seems to get little respect but I thought the did a good job last year. I have seen this Butler kid kick in SEC games and when he gets the ball he can boom it.

I think Suisham is the kicker who needs to go but for whatever reason they didn't bring in real competition.

NorthCoast
07-01-2012, 10:39 AM
I think it will be far more difficult for Starks to come back unless they get him real soon. Remember this offense is different and the blocking calls have all changed. Starks would not be coming back into the same situation where it was an offense he had down pat.

Don't get me wrong, I want Starks back really bad but the longer it goes the more likely I think it may not happen.

I don't agree. A vet should be able to get comfortable in two or three games in any offense. Look at Flozell, came in and played at a high level almost from the start.

RuthlessBurgher
07-01-2012, 11:49 AM

This report from Kaboly isn't exactly promising on the Starks-front, but it could just be conjecture on his part. I'm hopeful, based on the fact that Starks has been around Steelers HQ a couple of times this offseason, has had discussions with Colbert and coaches, and there is still an open spot available on our 90 man camp roster (I was hopeful that the opening created by Troy Smith's release was for Max...when they added the linebacker Baker from LSU this week, they cut the linebacker Lindsay from Pitt, so that opening is still available).

Max Starks nearing 100 percent, still no spot for him with Steelers
Posted by Josh Alper on July 1, 2012, 8:46 AM EDT

There’s been a lot of speculation around Pittsburgh that the Steelers will sign tackle Max Starks once he’s recovered enough from his torn ACL to get back on the field.

According to Starks, that day is getting closer. He tweeted a photo of himself doing a pass blocking drill on Friday and one of his squat totals while passing along his belief that he’s almost 100 percent. The Steelers have been keeping tabs on Starks’ health throughout the offseason, although their decision to draft David DeCastro and Mike Adams with their first two picks in April sent a message about their desire to move in younger directions on the offensive line.

Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that nothing much has changed on that front. Per Kaboly, the Steelers “won’t consider” Starks “until/if” Adams proves he isn’t ready to start as a rookie or if there’s an injury to either Adams or projected right tackle Marcus Gilbert.

The latter could happen at any moment, obviously, but there will need to be some time to evaluate Adams before the Steelers pull the plug. That might work well for giving Starks time rehab, but if Adams is up to the task it looks like Starks will have to go elsewhere in order to continue his football career.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/01/max-starks-nearing-100-percent-still-no-spot-with-steelers/

Slapstick
07-01-2012, 02:14 PM

Starks is a veteran and not a stranger to Coach Kugler's blocking schemes...

If Starks is sigend for any period in training camp, it will be more than enough time...

flippy
07-02-2012, 09:52 AM
The Steelers seem to really screw with Max Starks. I'm surprised he came back and would consider coming back.

I know it's just business, but it almost feels a little personal the way they treat him. I feel bad for the guy because he seems to really work hard at it.

Oviedo
07-02-2012, 10:01 AM
The Steelers seem to really screw with Max Starks. I'm surprised he came back and would consider coming back.

I know it's just business, but it almost feels a little personal the way they treat him. I feel bad for the guy because he seems to really work hard at it.

How do they "screw" with him? He got injured and his contract ran out. Waiting until they know he is recovered to the point of really being able to contribute is due diligence. We also have no idea what discussions they have had and what they have agreed to jointly that is not made public.

Starks started the problem and is the one who came in grossly overweight last summer. Steelers just responded to that until he met the standard conditioning wise.

flippy
07-02-2012, 10:11 AM
How do they "screw" with him? He got injured and his contract ran out. Waiting until they know he is recovered to the point of really being able to contribute is due diligence. We also have no idea what discussions they have had and what they have agreed to jointly that is not made public.

Starks started the problem and is the one who came in grossly overweight last summer. Steelers just responded to that until he met the standard conditioning wise.

Starks was big after a major neck surgery. It's probably to be expected of a guy his size and build. In a way it seems the Steelers should have given him the benefit of the doubt given his track record that Starks would have worked hard and got ready for the season post injury which he did.

This time around, he's hurt again. And given his track record of coming back from injury and playing at a high level, why not assume he's got the character and drive to do it again?

I understand why the Steelers do what they're doing. But at the same time, if I was in Starks shoes, I'd feel like a number. I'd feel like the team wasn't as committed to me as I was to them. It's gotta play a bit of a mind game on the guy.

Slapstick
07-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Starks was big after a major neck surgery. It's probably to be expected of a guy his size and build. In a way it seems the Steelers should have given him the benefit of the doubt given his track record that Starks would have worked hard and got ready for the season post injury which he did.

This time around, he's hurt again. And given his track record of coming back from injury and playing at a high level, why not assume he's got the character and drive to do it again?

I understand why the Steelers do what they're doing. But at the same time, if I was in Starks shoes, I'd feel like a number. I'd feel like the team wasn't as committed to me as I was to them. It's gotta play a bit of a mind game on the guy.

I'm sure that the Steelers are the only team that works in this way...

I mean, Max has tons of offers from other teams and he's just sitting on those, waiting for the Steelers to call...

Right?

flippy
07-02-2012, 11:42 AM
I'm sure that the Steelers are the only team that works in this way...

I mean, Max has tons of offers from other teams and he's just sitting on those, waiting for the Steelers to call...

Right?

All true. Just saying I would think it would mess with his head a bit.

But Starks seems to be real professional about the situation.

steelz09
07-02-2012, 01:17 PM
All true. Just saying I would think it would mess with his head a bit.

But Starks seems to be real professional about the situation.

I tend to agree w/ flippy on this one.

I would hate to see how last year would have turned out if it weren't for Starks. Tomlin & Co said they won't hand any rookie a starting position but it's surely shaping up that way for Adams regardless of LT or RT. IF Adams isn't ready, wouldn't you rather go into the season w/ a proven LT like Starks? J. Scott proved he wasn't ready last year. Starks has PROVEN he's a legit LT. Gilbert isn't proven at LT either. Yes, he did o.k last year but I'm not so sure I want him on the left side.

RuthlessBurgher
07-02-2012, 01:47 PM
I tend to agree w/ flippy on this one.

I would hate to see how last year would have turned out if it weren't for Starks. Tomlin & Co said they won't hand any rookie a starting position but it's surely shaping up that way for Adams regardless of LT or RT. IF Adams isn't ready, wouldn't you rather go into the season w/ a proven LT like Starks? J. Scott proved he wasn't ready last year. Starks has PROVEN he's a legit LT. Gilbert isn't proven at LT either. Yes, he did o.k last year but I'm not so sure I want him on the left side.

Yup...we KNOW Starks can play LT well when healthy.

We KNOW that Jon Scott can't play much of anything regardless.

We DON'T KNOW if Gilbert can play well at LT just because he played well at RT as a rookie.

We DON'T KNOW jack squat about Mike Adams at this point because he was unable to attend the OTA's, and no hitting was permitted at the minicamps he was able to attend.

I'd sign Starks now. They seem to take this guy for granted. What if another team has an injury at LT and offers Starks a contract bigger than what we can afford? I'd rather have the proven Starks (if healthy) protecting Ben's blind side next to Colon this season while Adams adjusts to the NFL as a rookie backup swing tackle.

Oviedo
07-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Yup...we KNOW Starks can play LT well when healthy.

We KNOW that Jon Scott can't play much of anything regardless.

We DON'T KNOW if Gilbert can play well at LT just because he played well at RT as a rookie.

We DON'T KNOW jack squat about Mike Adams at this point because he was unable to attend the OTA's, and no hitting was permitted at the minicamps he was able to attend.

I'd sign Starks now. They seem to take this guy for granted. What if another team has an injury at LT and offers Starks a contract bigger than what we can afford? I'd rather have the proven Starks (if healthy) protecting Ben's blind side next to Colon this season while Adams adjusts to the NFL as a rookie backup swing tackle.

I'd sign Starks too. The Steelers will when they know he is right IMO.

Ghost
07-02-2012, 04:04 PM
Will Johnson > David Johnson
Jeff Reed > Sean Suisham
Jerrod Johnson > Charlie Batch