PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' 2011 Big Money Guys: LB Lawrence Timmons Asked To Do a Lot

hawaiiansteel
06-25-2012, 07:16 PM
Steelers' 2011 Big Money Guys: LB Lawrence Timmons Asked To Do a Lot

by Neal Coolong on Jun 25, 2012

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4452150/GYI0061913894.jpg

The Pittsburgh Steelers announced a contract extension was signed by LB Lawrence Timmons on Aug. 23, 2011, a deal over five years reportedly paying him $50 million.

No one probably saw this as a premonition, but former Steelers LB James Farrior said, at the time, "They paid him a boatload of money. He's definitely going to be asked to do a lot of things he wouldn't normally be asked."

Like playing outside linebacker, for example. That happened four times in 2012 - Weeks 4-8.
The results weren't exactly worthy of a contract of that size.

Clearly, Timmons is not a suitable option outside for the Steelers in their current defense. Giving up quite a bit in terms of size compared with regular starters, James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, Timmons disappeared often off the edge, and while the Steelers won all four of those games, their pass rush was virtually non-existent on his side of the ball (he played on Harrison's right side in his absence due to a broken orbital bone in his eye).

When playing inside, Timmons showed his value throughout most of the season. He played the second-most snaps 1,050 to CB Ike Taylor's 1,065) of all Steelers defenders last year, and led the linebackers by almost 300 (Farrior played 779).

It may not have been Timmons' best overall year, but his consistency, as well as the fact he turned 26 in May and already has six seasons under his belt, has to leave the Steelers excited about the kid who's now an experienced veteran.

If anything, they'd have to be excited about this. In a Pittsburgh Magazine article dated October, 2011, a phenomenal story about Timmons' high school days paints the portrait of a fierce competitor. One who could have been called a Steelers kind of player even when he was 18.

Timmons was supposed to block a puny cornerback, bow his head and accept defeat. Instead, he turned his sights to the opposition's star linebacker, churned his legs like a runaway locomotive and single-handedly crashed the victory party.

"I cleaned the guy's clock," Timmons deadpans.

"It was one of the hardest hits I've ever witnessed," says Wilson High coach Darryl Page. "Lawrence knocked the guy's cleats over his helmet."

The air went out of the stadium. The woozy linebacker uprooted himself from the sod and stood up, flailing like a dancing balloon on a used car lot. One step, two step ... drop. He made a snow angel in the mud as time expired.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...wrence-timmons (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/6/25/3114110/pittsburgh-steelers-2011-contract-extension-lawrence-timmons)

hawaiiansteel
06-28-2012, 02:47 AM
Steelers 2011 Big Money Guys: OLB LaMarr Woodley's Absence Crushed Pass Rush

by Neal Coolong on Jun 26, 2012

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4459673/GYI0062713822.jpg

Steelers OLB LaMarr Woodley turned a quick corner on Patriots RT Sebastian Vollmer and squared his shoulders around the edge. He had the angle, and he had Patriots QB Tom Brady in his cross-hairs.

There would be no escape. Woodley had about five steps to his third sack of the game. There was 5:44 left in the third quarter.

Accelerating to full speed, Woodley suddenly pulls back a little bit, favoring his right leg, and drops like he just got picked off by a sniper. Brady, flushed to his left by Woodley, completes a pass for a first down to WR Deion Branch, avoiding what could have been a vicious hit from behind.

Woodley, the man who through seven games, two quarters, nine minutes and 16 seconds, racked up nine sacks, laid on the Heinz Field turf on all fours, victim of the dreaded hamstring pull.

A few months before that, Woodley made the biggest splash of the Steelers' offseason by inking a six-year, $61 million deal with the Steelers, not long after the Steelers had placed the franchise tag on the young and emerging pass rusher. With $22 million of that guaranteed, and $13 million due in his first season, Woodley was among the game's highest paid players in 2011.

And if not for the nagging hamstring injury, he could have been in contention for Defensive Player of the Year.

Hamstrings are difficult muscles to rehabilitate after injury. The amount of force needed to turn a corner, push off quickly and accelerate is enormous, particularly if that muscle is damaged already. They take a while to heal, and time isn't something NFL players have during the season. Woodley didn't see the field much after that game, and his presence was missed.

Badly.

The Steelers had 48 sacks in 2010, and fell to 35 in 2011. Obviously that's not all on Woodley, but they gave him that massive contract for a reason. Woodley is one of the biggest 3-4 OLBs in football, and his main weapon is his size. While still giving up upwards of 60 pounds to your average NFL right tackle, Woodley constantly crashes into his blocker, usually with a two or three step head start, and physically batters them to the point of fatigue in the second half. He's also deceptively quick, and has a great nose for the ball carrier.

Simply put, the defense is just not the same with him in there. Thankfully for the Steelers, hamstring injuries are not chronic, they simply require ice and rest - two things Woodley shouldn't have any problem applying this offseason.

If he comes back 100 percent, and he remains in top physical shape, expect both his and the Steelers' total sack number to increase quite a bit in 2012.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/6/26/3115711/pittsburgh-steelers-2011-lamarr-woodley-contract-extension

SteelAddicted
06-28-2012, 08:43 AM
I for one really like Timmons and have been supporter of his since draft day. He let me down last year and started to prove his critics to be right about where he was drafted. I hope for his, mine, and most importantly the Steelers sake that he gets back to 2010 production levels. We need it.

Oviedo
06-28-2012, 08:57 AM
I for one really like Timmons and have been supporter of his since draft day. He let me down last year and started to prove his critics to be right about where he was drafted. I hope for his, mine, and most importantly the Steelers sake that he gets back to 2010 production levels. We need it.

Timmons didn't let anyone down last year. You had Woodley and Harrison who couldn't stay on the field which forced Timmons to pick up the slack for them and then Timmons played next to a player in Farrior who physically could no longer do his job forcing Timmons to do more that he was suppose to do. If anything Timmons was a brightspot last year in our LB Corps.

steelz09
06-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Timmons didn't let anyone down last year. You had Woodley and Harrison who couldn't stay on the field which forced Timmons to pick up the slack for them and then Timmons played next to a player in Farrior who physically could no longer do his job forcing Timmons to do more that he was suppose to do. If anything Timmons was a brightspot last year in our LB Corps.

And the love fest for Timmons continues ...

Timmons = overrated

Crash
06-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Can't make splash plays 20 yards in coverage.

hawaiiansteel
08-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Lawrence Timmons, Insurance At The “Buck,” And The Steelers Defense

Aug 4th, 2012 by Dominic Di Tolla

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2012/08/5504026-300x210.jpg?d7b0e7

Everything looked bright for Inside Linebacker Lawrence Timmons after the 2010 season came to a close. The fifth year Linebacker had just come off of a Pro Bowl-esque season in 2010 in which he racked up career highs in Tackles (135) and Interceptions (2). In addition, Timmons recorded 3.0 Sacks, and led the team in Tackles for Loss with 8. Unfortunately for Lawrence, 2011 was a tough year on him, and the rest of the Defense in general.

Inconsistent play and an overall inability to force Turnovers at critical moments hurt Pittsburgh’ Defensive players in 2011. Nothing however plagued the Steelers’ Defense worse last season than injuries to some of their best players, especially the ones at the Outside Linebacker position. With LaMarr Woodley, James Harrison, Jason Worilds, and Chris Carter all injured for significant periods of time at one point or another, Timmons had to shift outside and play out of position for them for a significant chunk of the year.

Overall, Timmons started four games and played a significant amount in another three as well at Outside Linebacker. And despite the former Seminole’s best efforts to play a position he had not seen significant time at since his college days in 2006 (in a 4-3 system no less), his productivity and overall play took a major hit last season when he played Outside (93 Tackles, 2.0 Sacks, 1 INT, 2 FF’s).

While Timmons’ best efforts to play another position other than the weakside “Mack” spot he had manned for three seasons was less than stellar in 2011, it has not stopped the team from asking him to spend at least some time at another Linebacker spot during this current Training Camp period. According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Timmons has actually started to take some reps at the strongside Inside Linebacker “Buck” position. I for one believe that this is yet another solid move by Pittsburgh’s Coaching Staff, and could pay dividends for the team if Timmons is forced to move around due to circumstances beyond his control.

Added Benefits of Timmons Gaining Experience at “Buck”

Because the “Buck” plays such an important role in the Steelers’ Defense (Buck calls out the Offensive formations and sets Defense pre-snap) it should behoove Pittsburgh’s coaching staff to at least give their Linebacker with the best athletic/experience combo some reps at the position. The more guys like Timmons (as well as Stevenson Sylvester) which understand the Defense’s most important position behind starter Larry Foote, the better. And if injuries occur next to #94 (especially this season), he would be able to shift over for an extended period and play the “Buck” for however long he is needed until the starter’s return.

Timmons gaining some reps here and there could also help in the event that Foote or Sylvester are not deemed the long-term solutions at the “Buck,” and Pittsburgh is forced to search for a new starter in a season or two. At only 26, Timmons has at least another 5-7 seasons of top-level production in him, and a transition to the Buck spot in a couple of years would hopefully allow now-Rookie Sean Spence to step into the starting “Mack” role come 2014. By finding solutions to future problems already on their roster like Timmons, Pittsburgh would be able to address other areas of need in future Draft classes (Tall & Field Stretching WR, Multiple Safeties, Outside/Pass Rush Linebacker).

Final Thoughts

Regardless of where Timmons finds himself playing at this season or over the rest of his career with the Black & Gold, it makes me happy that there are players on the Steelers’ roster like him. Guys who are willing to step up in emergency scenarios, regardless of whether or not their skill-sets suit them best for their new position, and simply ready to go “an extra mile” and make themselves available to help. Hopefully Timmons can learn enough on the short term on the fly at the “Buck” spot during Training Camp, and if the time arises for him to step in and play, he does an adequate job. Injuries and inconsistent play did a number the Steelers’ Linebacking corps last season, and if injuries or poor play strike Foote or Sylvester in 2012, and Sean Spence is not ready to play, Timmons’ presence, athleticism, and productivity from the Inside could be an invaluable asset to this team this year and for however long he is needed to man the “Buck.”

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/08/04/lawrence-timmons-insurance-at-the-buck-and-the-steelers-defense/

Shoe
08-06-2012, 02:14 PM

While nothing you said is incorrect, let's not lump Harrison in with Woodley in this case.

Harrison, broke his orbital bone when he slammed his head into an o-lineman--and remained in that game! And for the rest of the year, pushed to get back on the field.

Woodley, signed a big money contract & presumably lived the high life in training camp, which led to him being out-of-shape... at least to the point that it put undo pressure on his hamstring, which eventually gave way. And basically took the rest of the year off!

Two completely different approaches.

fezziwig
08-06-2012, 03:24 PM
I understand Timmons was out of his comfort zone last season due to all the change around with injuries and what have you but, I still think the guy is average at best and for me, I'm sugar coating it. A wasted number one pick, an over paid second stringer is how I see Timmons. Oh wait ! Next season will be Timmon's breakout season.

RuthlessBurgher
08-06-2012, 04:27 PM
I hate to break it to you, but Lawrence Timmons' breakout season undoubtedly in 2010. If people aren't impressed with 135 total tackles (96 solo), 3 sacks, 9 passes defensed, 2 interceptions, and 2 forced fumbles, then expectations are completely out of whack. His 2011 numbers are subpar by comparison because he had to play every LB position last season (often moving between multiple positions in the same game), so he was so focusing on executing his unfamiliar assignment that he wasn't able to simply wreak havoc out there (i.e. he was thinking instead of reacting, which more often than not neuters someone's big play ability).

If you don't believe me that 2010 was indeed a legit breakout season for the 15th overall pick in the draft, let's compare him to someone who was the 8th overall pick in the draft. After all, James Farrior is a god in Pittsburgh.

Farrior's best season (tackle-wise) as a Steeler was in 2003, when he had 141 tackles and 96 solo tackles...very similar to Timmons' 2010 season, except that he didn't live up to it with regard to splash plays, since he had 0 sacks, 4 passes defensed, 1 interception, and 0 forced fumbles that year, which is a far cry from Timmons' production in his breakout 2010 season.

Farrior's best season (splash-play-wise) as a Steeler was in 2004, when he had 3 sacks, 8 passes defense, 4 interceptions, and 3 forced fumbles...very similar to Timmons' 2010 season, except that he didn't live up to it with regard to tackles, since he had 94 total tackle and 65 solo tackles, which is a far cry from Timmons' production in his breakout 2010 season.

So, basically, if you take Farrior's best tackle season in 10 years as a Steeler (2003) and take Farrior's best splash-play season in 10 years as a Steeler (2004), and mush them together, then you get Timmons' 2010 breakout season. But somehow Farrior is a god and Timmons is a bum. I don't get it.

fezziwig
08-06-2012, 04:54 PM
stats are good and all that but i still expect a guy to be disruptive and create breakdowns for the opponents. maybe i'm expecting too much ?

steelz09
08-06-2012, 05:48 PM
I hate to break it to you, but Lawrence Timmons' breakout season undoubtedly in 2010. If people aren't impressed with 135 total tackles (96 solo), 3 sacks, 9 passes defensed, 2 interceptions, and 2 forced fumbles, then expectations are completely out of whack. His 2011 numbers are subpar by comparison because he had to play every LB position last season (often moving between multiple positions in the same game), so he was so focusing on executing his unfamiliar assignment that he wasn't able to simply wreak havoc out there (i.e. he was thinking instead of reacting, which more often than not neuters someone's big play ability).

If you don't believe me that 2010 was indeed a legit breakout season for the 15th overall pick in the draft, let's compare him to someone who was the 8th overall pick in the draft. After all, James Farrior is a god in Pittsburgh.

Farrior's best season (tackle-wise) as a Steeler was in 2003, when he had 141 tackles and 96 solo tackles...very similar to Timmons' 2010 season, except that he didn't live up to it with regard to splash plays, since he had 0 sacks, 4 passes defensed, 1 interception, and 0 forced fumbles that year, which is a far cry from Timmons' production in his breakout 2010 season.

Farrior's best season (splash-play-wise) as a Steeler was in 2004, when he had 3 sacks, 8 passes defense, 4 interceptions, and 3 forced fumbles...very similar to Timmons' 2010 season, except that he didn't live up to it with regard to tackles, since he had 94 total tackle and 65 solo tackles, which is a far cry from Timmons' production in his breakout 2010 season.

So, basically, if you take Farrior's best tackle season in 10 years as a Steeler (2003) and take Farrior's best splash-play season in 10 years as a Steeler (2004), and mush them together, then you get Timmons' 2010 breakout season. But somehow Farrior is a god and Timmons is a bum. I don't get it.

135 tackles are great and all but I'd love to see how many of those tackles are after at least a 3 yard gain. Timmons is great in pursuit... but I still don't think he has great field vision, can fill a hole, and the read & react skills that an elite ILB should have.

I don't give him a free pass at all regarding OLB. Tomlin said he was drafted as a OLB.. and he didn't turn out to be one. Luckily, they were able to convert him to ILB. He took forever to develop at ILB. By the time he got developed, the Steelers had to pay him a monster contract. 6 years in the league, no pro bowls.... He's a good player but not the "splash" player we need. Maybe this year is the year.... that seems to be the trend for the Timmons' love fest :)

hawaiiansteel
09-03-2012, 02:44 AM
Time for Steelers Timmons to Shine?

Sep 2nd, 2012 by kariSteelers

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2012/09/5783904-300x218.jpg?9b4725

A linebacker dressed in black and gold has a way of striking fear into the hearts of many. Lloyd, Lambert, Ham. They have long been the heart of our Defense. But as we march into the season, at first glance it may look like the tenacity is lacking here, the holes gaping, injuries a-plenty and the player production not up to the standard. But I think that we will survive.

Let’s take a look at the projected starting four:

Woodley. Solid pass rushing monster. That’s what I have to say about him. Next.

Harrison. He’s one big question mark. Coming off the PUP list 9 days before the season opener, what he can do and will do is really up in the air. Sure he’s phenomenal and well, a bad ass man for sure. We all know that. But how productive can any player be having not practiced, let alone played, in months. He will have all of four practices to get himself up to game speed. Is he going to be tentative on that knee? He’s been quoted as saying he’s “hoping” to play against Denver, call me crazy but I want the most hated man in football to have a little more POW in his statements about coming on the field to wreak some havoc. Makes me cringe a bit, but then again even Batman got his ass kicked his first fight back.

Foote. Larry Foote. Hmm. He’s a wild card here. Drafted in 02, he had some good years, mostly ones that had a zero near the end, like 05, 06. Right now I think he’s more of a “provides depth” player and not necessarily a starter or the proper heir to the Farrior throne…but I have to hope I’m wrong and he can be every bit as good as Farrior, at least in the short term, as a leader on the field, and more importantly as a playmaker on the Defensive side of the ball. Are we going to be praying for Sylvester to heal up faster?

Timmons. He had a tough assignment last year, being placed on the outside to cover for the wounded on several occasions. But now that he is back to his preferred place, he is going to be key and I think he’s ready to step up and be that count on guy. He’s arguably the most athletic player under LeBeau, (I will argue that point so that makes it true) and has good speed and can shed blockers. He could be given the opportunity early to call the defensive signals and be responsible for making sure others are lined up correctly, a job that was once Farrior’s but may not be best invested in Foote. Another opportunity for him to grow responsibility on the field and increase his worth. With offenses looking for Woodley and let’s hope an effective Harrison on the outside, this gives a green light for Timmons to make some plays.

Big plays.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/09/02/time-for-steelers-timmons-to-shine/

Oviedo
09-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Time for Steelers Timmons to Shine?

Sep 2nd, 2012 by kariSteelers

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/58/files/2012/09/5783904-300x218.jpg?9b4725

A linebacker dressed in black and gold has a way of striking fear into the hearts of many. Lloyd, Lambert, Ham. They have long been the heart of our Defense. But as we march into the season, at first glance it may look like the tenacity is lacking here, the holes gaping, injuries a-plenty and the player production not up to the standard. But I think that we will survive.

Let’s take a look at the projected starting four:

Woodley. Solid pass rushing monster. That’s what I have to say about him. Next.

Harrison. He’s one big question mark. Coming off the PUP list 9 days before the season opener, what he can do and will do is really up in the air. Sure he’s phenomenal and well, a bad ass man for sure. We all know that. But how productive can any player be having not practiced, let alone played, in months. He will have all of four practices to get himself up to game speed. Is he going to be tentative on that knee? He’s been quoted as saying he’s “hoping” to play against Denver, call me crazy but I want the most hated man in football to have a little more POW in his statements about coming on the field to wreak some havoc. Makes me cringe a bit, but then again even Batman got his ass kicked his first fight back.

Foote. Larry Foote. Hmm. He’s a wild card here. Drafted in 02, he had some good years, mostly ones that had a zero near the end, like 05, 06. Right now I think he’s more of a “provides depth” player and not necessarily a starter or the proper heir to the Farrior throne…but I have to hope I’m wrong and he can be every bit as good as Farrior, at least in the short term, as a leader on the field, and more importantly as a playmaker on the Defensive side of the ball. Are we going to be praying for Sylvester to heal up faster?

Timmons. He had a tough assignment last year, being placed on the outside to cover for the wounded on several occasions. But now that he is back to his preferred place, he is going to be key and I think he’s ready to step up and be that count on guy. He’s arguably the most athletic player under LeBeau, (I will argue that point so that makes it true) and has good speed and can shed blockers. He could be given the opportunity early to call the defensive signals and be responsible for making sure others are lined up correctly, a job that was once Farrior’s but may not be best invested in Foote. Another opportunity for him to grow responsibility on the field and increase his worth. With offenses looking for Woodley and let’s hope an effective Harrison on the outside, this gives a green light for Timmons to make some plays.

Big plays.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/09/02/time-for-steelers-timmons-to-shine/

Timmons needs to be turned loose on a lot more blitzes from the inside. Offenses expect Harrison and Woodley and plan for it. The inside blitz was a lost part of our defense last year and that's why our sack totals were so pathetic.

DukieBoy
09-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Even with the many many injuries of defensive players (Smith and Woodley on one side, Snack, Deebo, Troy), Potsie's decline, and moving Timmons around, this was still a top-ranked defense for a team that went 12-4. My perception is Timmons played a big part in making it all work in spite of the challenges of responsibilities out-of-position.

Timmons is so good for an inside LB at coverage that he does not blitz enough. I had looked forward to Spence coming in on 3rd downs for coverage so that Timmons could be turned loose on the QB more often. I don't see it happening as much with Foote sharing the middle.

Eddie Spaghetti
09-03-2012, 12:07 PM
my problem with timmons has always been his instincts which are not very good. Its like the guy plays on roller skates out there sometimes. He overruns way too many plays, IMO.

that, and not being able to play the position he was drafted for.

Slapstick
09-03-2012, 12:17 PM
1) Mike Tomlin said from day 1 that Timmons could play the Mack position....day 1...look it up...

2) Assume that he can't play outside...which, I don't buy...I think if you gave him a full offseason at OLB instead of moving him there for a game, it would be a different story...who would sit? DPOY OLB Harrison? Or All Pro OLB Woodley?

Eddie Spaghetti
09-03-2012, 12:20 PM
if you think timmons can play outside, then we haven't been watching the same games.

he isn't strong enough and cannot set the edge.

Oviedo
09-03-2012, 12:20 PM
1) Mike Tomlin said from day 1 that Timmons could play the Mack position....day 1...look it up...

2) Assume that he can't play outside...which, I don't buy...I think if you gave him a full offseason at OLB instead of moving him there for a game, it would be a different story...who would sit? DPOY OLB Harrison? Or All Pro OLB Woodley?

Yes to this. Actually he compareed Timmons to Derrick Brooks who played in Tampa's 4-3. Still think that formation would best utilize Timmons' skils but it is what it is.

Slapstick
09-03-2012, 02:14 PM
if you think timmons can play outside, then we haven't been watching the same games.

he isn't strong enough and cannot set the edge.

And again, I say, if you gave the guy a full offseason of working at the position instead of switching him the Wednesday before the game, you may see different results...

lloydroid
09-03-2012, 03:40 PM
I understand Timmons was out of his comfort zone last season due to all the change around with injuries and what have you but, I still think the guy is average at best and for me, I'm sugar coating it. A wasted number one pick, an over paid second stringer is how I see Timmons. Oh wait ! Next season will be Timmon's breakout season.

I don't know that I feel as strongly as you, but I do feel he is overrated. I think he is a legit starting LB in the NFL, but he is not as great as some think. He lacks instincts. He has all the physical skills but misses too many tackles, runs by too many plays - he is OK, but not super great. He will put up some decent #s this year, I suspect. But he is no where near the difference maker as a Harrison.

lloydroid
09-03-2012, 04:05 PM
my problem with timmons has always been his instincts which are not very good. Its like the guy plays on roller skates out there sometimes. He overruns way too many plays, IMO.

that, and not being able to play the position he was drafted for.

It's like the quote from one of my favorite movies, "Sea Biscuit."

"Well, he seems fast...."

"Yea, in every direction."

Then again, Timmons would ask, "Who are you?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdLIerfXuZ4