PDA

View Full Version : Gotta break the rules for big news...the Pens have traded Jordan Staal

D Rock
06-22-2012, 10:29 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/penguins-deal-c-jordan-staal-004702939--nhl.html;_ylt=Agf6lU5W4faoONCRXZ2aOwZ7vLYF

in return they got another center, Brandon Sutter, who was the 11th overall pick in 2007 and has had decent numbers that past couple years. They also got a defenseman and the #8 draft pick which they used to select an offensive defensemen, Derrick Pouliot.

Crash
06-22-2012, 10:45 PM
And they got Maatta at #22 and he may be even better than Pouliot.

Now rumors floating that they want to trade a D man and go after Parise for Sid (They are best friends).

Staal wanted a bigger role, can't fault him for that.

hawaiiansteel
06-23-2012, 02:36 AM
Staal wanted a bigger role, can't fault him for that.

or for wanting to play with his brothers in Carolina.

the Pens actually got very good value for a guy who wasn't going to sign a long-term extension with us.

now if we could only do the same type of trade for Mike Wallace...:stirpot

Oviedo
06-23-2012, 08:14 AM
I actually think this is a good topic for the board to discuss.

I LOVE how the Penguins played this. They made Staal an offer that would make him a rich man for the rest of his life. He turned them down and indicated he wanted to keep his options open. Next step, the Penguins say SEE YA!!!!!!! Guess what, the Penguins got value back.

Mike Wallace take note. IMO I hope the Steelers do Wallace the exact same way. Make him a decent offer and if he rejects them...SEE YA!!!! It's about the team and managing the cap. It should never be about any single player and where he perceives his value compared to other players. If Wallace indicates he is going to contrary in negotiations then give him "the Staal" and ship him out and we will get value back. We will move on and we will succeed.

D Rock
06-23-2012, 09:50 AM
The Pens now seem to have too many defensemen. I would love to get Zach Parise on the Penguins roster. Paul Martin would be a great one to trade back to the Devils if they would take him.

I wouldn't want to trade Orpik, Letang, Michalek, or Despres though. The rest can be trade bait.

NJ-STEELER
06-23-2012, 09:59 AM
parise is a UFA july 1st

D Rock
06-23-2012, 10:02 AM
hahaha yeah I just found that out from Ruthless on the NHL forum....along with the fact that they traded Michalek yesterday too. I thought Parise was in the same situation as Staal with one year left, but this makes it a heck of a lot easier to get him on the team now!

Crash
06-23-2012, 11:15 AM
They are trying to trade Martin.

Apparently Sid, Parise, and Ryan Suter are all close, and that's Shero's plan. To bring them all in.

Oviedo
06-23-2012, 11:40 AM
They are trying to trade Martin.

Apparently Sid, Parise, and Ryan Suter are all close, and that's Shero's plan. To bring them all in.

Would be a great plan. Trading Martin isn't going to be easy.

Crash
06-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Trade him for a bag of pucks at this point.

D Rock
06-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Trade him for a bag of pucks at this point.

That's being generous. Might have to go with a couple rolls of stick tape.

Crash
06-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Toronto may want Martin. God please let this happen.

hawaiiansteel
06-24-2012, 01:56 AM
Penguins trade Jordan Staal to Hurricanes in win-win deal for all involved

By Nicholas J. Cotsonika | Yahoo! Sports
June 23, 2012

PITTSBURGH He didn't want to do it. You could see it in his face and hear it in his voice.

Ray Shero did not want to trade Jordan Staal.

When he was the rookie general manager of the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2006, Shero made Staal his first draft pick, second overall. Three years later, he won a Stanley Cup with him. He envisioned winning more Cups with him, somehow keeping together all three of his super centers Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal? somehow keeping them happy and the payroll under the salary cap.

So when Shero shipped Staal to the Carolina Hurricanes on Friday on Staal's wedding day, no less it was hard. Real hard.

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/uK5eSvAvkqUP7xyZuP4ncA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTMxMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/Sports/ap/201204051906688120693-p2.jpeg

"It's emotional to trade someone that you're attached to," said Shero late Friday night, after the first round of the NHL draft, betraying a touch of that emotion. "But I know it's good for him, it's good for his family and it's good for the Penguins."

And that's why he had to do it. This is good for everyone involved, including,
improbably, the Penguins.

Staal escapes the shadows of Crosby and Malkin. He goes somewhere he can play a larger role. He reunites with his brother Eric. Must have been some wedding reception in Thunder Bay, Ont.

But Staal's now-former Penguins teammates could celebrate there, too, toasting their buddy and their GM. Shero should have had little leverage in trade talks. The news had broken that Staal, a year away from unrestricted free agency, had turned down the offer of a 10-year contract and would consider an extension only with Carolina. Still, Shero finagled center Brandon Sutter, a good, young, two-way, third-line center who can fill Staal's role, plus the No. 8 overall pick and a prospect.

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/bAwIyY98OEHOopm7GQVTFA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTMxMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/Reuters/2012-04-19T010241Z_1721694533_LM2E84J02WH01_RTRMADP_3_NHL. JPG

Then he wasn't done. He traded defenseman Zbynek Michalek to the Phoenix Coyotes for a third-round pick and two prospects. Staal was going to average about $6 million for the next decade, while Sutter has a cap hit of $2 million for two more seasons. Michalek has a cap hit of $4 million for three more seasons. Shero freed up a lot of money, which means he can make more trades or go after the biggest fish in free agency July 1 winger Zach Parise or defenseman Ryan Suter.

Asked if he could add yet another impact player, Shero said: "Yeah, possibly. Possibly. We'll look to do that."

Now that's making the best of a bad situation, not that this was ever an ugly one. Staal did not get divorced on his wedding day.

Shero wanted to keep Crosby, Malkin and Staal together as long as he could, even if he knew that might have been a long shot. "How far we could ever go with this three-center model that we had, that remained to be seen," he said, "but I [wanted] to do that."

Staal turned down that 10-year offer, but he didn't close the door on the Penguins, necessarily. He was keeping his options open. He also had a lot going on personally with the wedding.

It would have made little sense for Shero to trade Staal in a panic, just hoping to get as much as he could in return before Staal's trade value started to diminish. Staal would have had great value to the Penguins even if he had played one more season for them and then left as an free agent, because he helped make them a top Stanley Cup contender.

"If we didn't have a [good] deal, I was not trading Jordan Staal," Shero said. "We were going to come back and play with him. Make it clear: Jordan never, ever asked me for a trade and made it clear he never [would], and he would have been happy to play in Pittsburgh."

Shero said until Friday, he thought Staal would play in Pittsburgh next season. Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford said until Friday, he didn't know Staal was coming to Carolina.

Rutherford expressed interest in Staal after the Penguins were eliminated from the playoffs, when Shero made a comment that he might not be able to keep his three centers together. They had one more conversation after that.

Then the news broke Thursday that Staal had turned down the 10-year deal. Suitors became more aggressive, especially Carolina and one other team. Rutherford said he called Shero at 4:20 p.m. on Friday. They met in Shero's office at the Consol Energy Center. Shero insisted on Sutter, a 23-year-old drafted by Carolina 11th overall in 2007, as part of the deal.

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/S1wavV_OlO.WEeBzr0hp.w--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTMxMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/Sports/ap/201202181947712577711-p2.jpeg

Rutherford didn't want to do it. You could see it in his face and hear it in his voice. But Staal was an opportunity he couldn't pass up. The Hurricanes are getting a 23-year-old who should be considered for the Selke Trophy as the league's best defensive forward and should score more with more opportunity, especially on the power play.

This was a No. 1 center an excellent No. 1 center trapped in a No. 3 spot only because he was behind two players who have won the Hart Trophy as the NHL's most valuable player.

"You name me two or three other players, centericemen, who are like Jordan Staal," he said. "You just can't find them."

Though Rutherford insisted he had no assurances he could sign Staal to an extension, he wouldn't have given up so much if he weren't confident he could keep Jordan with Eric. "For many years, the family said that the brothers want to play together," he said. "Now they're together. I don't know why you'd go somewhere else."

The deal was done about 15 minutes before the start of the NHL entry draft and was announced when the Hurricanes' pick came up at No. 8. The fans roared. They chanted, "LET'S GO, PENS!" It seemed odd, considering Staal is a heart-and-soul player who helped the Penguins win a Stanley Cup. But it seemed everyone understood the unique situation. Staal was behind Crosby and Malkin. He was going to play with Eric. Shero got a good return.

"How often in a major-league sport baseball, hockey, football, no matter what do you have the opportunity to play with your brother?" said Jesse Ferencz, 25, a fan wearing a No. 11 Staal sweater, upset only that the Penguins drafted defenseman Derrick Pouliot eighth overall instead of center Filip Forsberg.

Ferencz was standing next to his own brother.

"You can't be mad at a guy who wants to play with his brother and be in the spotlight," Ferencz said. "You can't be mad at somebody like that, especially somebody who gave 100 percent effort, great presence in the locker room, all-around character guy, two-way player."

No one should be mad, not even Shero. No, he doesn't have Crosby, Malkin and Staal anymore. But he always knew that might not be realistic, anyway.

"I don't know with Sidney and Geno being here that it would be a long-term fit in terms of having him grow as a player," Shero said. "In fairness to all three players, it was maybe time to move on, if that was the right thing to do. That's what we did."

As Shero said, the Penguins still have three centers. They've got Crosby, Malkin and Sutter. Center is still the strength of their team. Plus, they have prospects, cap room and the potential to add more, and by being proactive, nothing will fester.

"I thought about that," Shero said. "I think with any player, to reach your true potential, you've got to be happy. You've got to be happy in your environment. You've got to be happy in your role.

"Not that Jordan wasn't, but this kid had a great playoff for himself. He didn't play all 82 games last year, but he certainly produced very good numbers. He was just growing out of what he was doing. He's going to take that to Carolina and be a very good player there and so

"We'll see what happens."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl--penguins-trade-jordan-staal-to-hurricanes-in-win-win-deal-for-all-involved.html

Oviedo
06-24-2012, 09:42 AM
Interesting parallels between the Steelers and Penguins

1. Penguins with 3 young talented Centers and the Steelers with 3 young talented WRs.
2. The Penguins had one of their young Centers balking at a contract offer and the Steelers have one of their young WRs balking at a contract offer.
3. The Penguins have salary cap constraints and the Steelers have salary cap constraints
4. The Penguins traded one of their key young players versus the drama and got value in return and the Steelers.....

Shero played it perfect. Let's hope Colbert does the same thing.

Crash
06-24-2012, 12:26 PM
The cap didn't cost them Jordan Staal. His desire for a bigger role playing with his brothers did.

The Habs tried to trade for BOTH Eric and Jordan during the draft. As soon as Mark Staal is able to leave NY he's going to Carolina also.

RuthlessBurgher
06-24-2012, 04:22 PM
Interesting parallels between the Steelers and Penguins

1. Penguins with 3 young talented Centers and the Steelers with 3 young talented WRs.
2. The Penguins had one of their young Centers balking at a contract offer and the Steelers have one of their young WRs balking at a contract offer.
3. The Penguins have salary cap constraints and the Steelers have salary cap constraints
4. The Penguins traded one of their key young players versus the drama and got value in return and the Steelers.....

Shero played it perfect. Let's hope Colbert does the same thing.

However, in that scenario you laid out, Jordan Staal would be analgous to Emmanuel Sanders (the clear cut #3 of those groupings).

SS Laser
06-24-2012, 04:45 PM
I would love for the steelers to pull of a trade like this with Wallace. Sign Brown and Sanders before the draft. Trade Wallace to miami for Mike Pouncey ( returns him with his brother and his brother from another mother). Mike can replace Colon. Best OFL in the NFL! Wake me up when traning camp gets here I am just dreaming about steeler football right now.

SteelBucks
06-24-2012, 05:08 PM
The Pens are currently $12 million under the cap and some of that will go to Sid to lock up long term. They'll still have enough left over to make a run at Parise or Suter. Change the "or" to "and" if they can unload Martin and his terrible contact. Gonna be fun times come July 1st!

Crash
06-24-2012, 06:26 PM
They are $14.6 under. More than enough for the increases in Sid and Geno's contracts and either Sutter or Parise.

If they can trade Martin? They'll get both.

RuthlessBurgher
06-24-2012, 07:01 PM
They are $14.6 under. More than enough for the increases in Sid and Geno's contracts and either Sutter or Parise.

If they can trade Martin? They'll get both.

Correct. Unloading Martin would put them at $19.6 million under. The cap numbers for Sid and Geno are currently $8.7 million. The rumored deal for Crosby is a 10 year, $90 million, which would be a $9 million cap hit, and therefore only a $300,000 raise overall against the cap. Even if they wanted to extend both Crosby and Malkin (even though Geno is signed through the 13-14 season) to contracts averaging $9 million per year, we'd still be $19 million under the cap after those extension (assuming we can trade Martin...if not, we'd be $14 million under after the proposed Sid/Geno extensions). Actually, now that I think about it, the new numbers for Sid and Geno likely wouldn't come into effect until after their current contracts run out (I believe that's how it works in the NHL), so those hypothetical extensions may not effect our cap this year at all after all (so much for all that typing, eh?).

If they are able to unload Martin, we would be able to sign Parise and Suter, extend Sid, plus keep any of our own free agents...Matty Niskanen, Stevie Sullivan, and Arron Asham (if they want to).

If we are unable to get both (say either of them decide to re-sign with the current teams, or Suter decides to stay in the Western Conference with Detroit, or Parise decides to go home to Minnesota), would the team be willing to part with some of our accumulated assets to trade for the guy picked immediately following Sidney Crosby...Bobby Ryan?

I would much prefer getting Parise and Suter, since they won't cost anything in trade compensation (well, Shero is talking to his old bosses in Nashville to see if they would be willing to accept a future draft pick for Suter's exclusive negotiating rights for this last week before full-fledged free agency hits on July 1...but that won't be a significant price to pay...he's tried this before a couple of seasons ago, and failed, with Dan Hamhuis, which led to the signing of Martin and Michalek that offseason), but Ryan could be an interesting fallback option (if he isn't dealt elsewhere within the next week, of course).

I highly doubt that we'd be interested in getting to the Rick Nash sweepstakes, because it would cost too much to obtain him, and he still has 6 years left on a deal with a $7.8 million cap hit, which is more than we would have paid Staal in the first place and too close to what Crosby and Malkin will be making. The Rangers should be the ones obtaining Nash, I would think.

Crash
06-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Sid is close with Parise, who is close with Sutter. The rumor floating around is Sid will take less, and wants those two to do it also so they can play together in Pittsburgh.

RuthlessBurgher
06-24-2012, 07:14 PM
Sid is close with Parise, who is close with Sutter. The rumor floating around is Sid will take less, and wants those two to do it also so they can play together in Pittsburgh.

I'm assuming you mean Suter (Ryan, the Nashville defenseman we will be trying to sign next week) and not Sutter (Brandon, the former Carolina center we obtained in the Staal trade on Friday). ;)

Crash
06-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Suter from Nashville.

D Rock
06-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Where do you hear all these rumors, Crash? Do you spend all day and night scanning the web for any inkling of chatter or do you have some sources who like to talk a lot?

Crash
06-25-2012, 01:04 AM
I'm assuming you mean Suter (Ryan, the Nashville defenseman we will be trying to sign next week) and not Sutter (Brandon, the former Carolina center we obtained in the Staal trade on Friday). ;)

Mr. Admin Sir, this is the Steelers forum. Not the Pens forum. If my Big 33 classic reminder was moved THE SAME DAY it was posted in mere minutes, then there is no reason for this PENGUINS topic to remain here for over 2 days after the first round was completed.

Can I consider this my "warning" to you?

Two more and you take it somewhere else, right?

Don't be like Roger Goodell. Hold EVERYONE to the same standards.

Slapstick
06-25-2012, 07:44 AM
Mr. Admin Sir, this is the Steelers forum. Not the Pens forum. If my Big 33 classic reminder was moved THE SAME DAY it was posted in mere minutes, then there is no reason for this PENGUINS topic to remain here for over 2 days after the first round was completed.

Dude, get over yourself...

D Rock
06-25-2012, 07:49 AM

You shouldn't s*%t where you eat.

flippy
06-25-2012, 08:54 AM
This is a bummer. Staal was my favorite.

But good for him. Time to get out of Crosby/Malkin's shadow. He's a star. Carolina is gonna be a major force for years to come.

And good job by the Pens in getting a lot out of the trade and freeing up some money. But I think at the end of the day, Carolina may have gotten the better deal.

At least I'll get to see him in NC.

Oviedo
06-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Penguins were never going to be able to keep Crosby, Malkin and Staal long term. They did the right thing by trading one of the three when the value was high and they got a good return back and cleared salary space to add more talent. Steelers take note!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
06-25-2012, 10:10 AM

Not that I have to justify my actions to someone who, while on thin ice as it ice, thinks it's a good idea to insult not only one but TWO mods (fordfixer can ban you just as easily as I can), but I'll do it anyway. I was posting on the Staal thread on the NHL forum before I realized that there was even a thread about that trade over here as well. When I noticed that, I was about to merge the two threads together in the NHL forum, but then I read through it and saw that Ovie was comparing the Pens three-center situation and tight salary cap to the Steelers three-wideout situation and tight salary cap. Suddenly, this thread was relevant to Steeler Talk, and therefore I allowed it to stay here.

DukieBoy
06-25-2012, 10:40 AM
Good decision,mods, to keep this thread here.

Crash
06-25-2012, 11:16 AM
So Fordfixer is a MOD who stalks me on this board? OK then....

My thread was removed in MINUTES. It's 3 days later and this thread is still here.

That's not consistency.

I didn't insult you one bit Ruthless. I asked you a simple question.

Crash
06-25-2012, 11:24 AM
Staal is going to realize seeing #1 #2 defense pairings is a little harder than facing the 3rd sets he saw playing with Sid and Malkin.

Crash
06-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Dude, get over yourself...

I think people need to get over ME. I get insulted, bashed, called out in numerous threads, and I'M the one getting warned?

That ain't right Slap.

Slapstick
06-25-2012, 11:42 AM
I think people need to get over ME. I get insulted, bashed, called out in numerous threads, and I'M the one getting warned?

That ain't right Slap.

Crash, please...

Anything that you've received, from other posters or from mods, you've only brought upon yourself...

Crash
06-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Crash, please...

Anything that you've received, from other posters or from mods, you've only brought upon yourself...

Why? Because I don't kiss Steeler ass?

I was getting called out in threads on this board when I wasn't even POSTING on it.

Oviedo
06-25-2012, 11:46 AM

That ain't right Slap.

So your position is that everyone else is wrong and you are right. That in itself pretty much identifies the problem

You deliberately create problems with multiple posters. Your proclivity for trying to make everything personal detracts not only from the good things you do post but the overall board. In many cases "less is more" versus ridiculous responses to everything anyone says and marathon threads that devolve into nothing but schoolyard name calling.

Crash
06-25-2012, 11:49 AM
So your position is that everyone else is wrong and you are right.

Not at all. I like difference of opinion, I like debate, if everyone agreed on the same thing a message board is boring.

What I hate though, is soon as I or anyone else doesn't kiss the Steelers or Rooney ass, their fandom gets questioned.

Again, that ain't right.

Slapstick
06-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Why? Because I don't kiss Steeler ass?

I was getting called out in threads on this board when I wasn't even POSTING on it.

You antagonize and belittle other posters and threadjack to a level heretofore unseen at Planet Steelers...

I've seen it, because I was at the Trib boards...

So, again, please spare us the mock surprise and faux righteous indignation...this is nothing new to you...

feltdizz
06-25-2012, 11:52 AM
I think people need to get over ME.

You need to get over YOU... lol.

Thanks to the mods we will now get to here how your post was unfairly moved for 3 days...

and this unfairness will be pointed out for the next 3 years. LOL

Slapstick
06-25-2012, 11:53 AM
Not at all. I like difference of opinion, I like debate, if everyone agreed on the same thing a message board is boring.

What I hate though, is soon as I or anyone else doesn't kiss the Steelers or Rooney ass, their fandom gets questioned.

Again, that ain't right.

"If you actually WATCH the games..."

That's not belittling or questioning fandom at all...

Noooooo.......

Oviedo
06-25-2012, 11:54 AM
You antagonize and belittle other posters and threadjack to a level heretofore unseen at Planet Steelers...

I've seen it, because I was at the Trib boards...

So, again, please spare us the mock surprise and faux righteous indignation...this is nothing new to you...

Well stated!!!

feltdizz
06-25-2012, 11:54 AM

Again, that ain't right.

but your opinion never changes.. it's the same argument over and over and over and over and over...

Slapstick
06-25-2012, 11:55 AM
BTW, I don't know if anyone heard, but the Pens traded Jordan Staal...

Any similarities between this and the Mike Wallace situation?

What would you want for Mike Wallace if negotiations reach an impasse as the Pens' did with Staal?

Draft picks? Players? Both?

Anyone in particular besides the aforementioned Percy Harvin?

Oviedo
06-25-2012, 11:55 AM
You need to get over YOU... lol.

Thanks to the mods we will now get to here how your post was unfairly moved for 3 days...

and this unfairness will be pointed out for the next 3 years. LOL

IMO the mods are far too lenient in what they let fester here and what they tolerate

Crash
06-25-2012, 11:57 AM
"If you actually WATCH the games..."

That's not belittling or questioning fandom at all...

Noooooo.......

Nope, it's an opinion. You can follow this team and still not watch games closely enough. Hell most of the national media prove that all the time in regards to the Steelers.

Crash
06-25-2012, 11:58 AM
BTW, I don't know if anyone heard, but the Pens traded Jordan Staal...

Any similarities between this and the Mike Wallace situation?

What would you want for Mike Wallace if negotiations reach an impasse as the Pens' did with Staal?

Draft picks? Players? Both?

Anyone in particular besides the aforementioned Percy Harvin?

Player to player NFL trades are rare when it involves top of the line talent.

With that said, if they were to trade him, a RB has to top our want list.

Crash
06-25-2012, 12:01 PM

Sometimes I do. No doubt.

A lot of the times I'm called out, off topic, in threads.

You can't deny that Slap.

feltdizz
06-25-2012, 12:16 PM
IMO the mods are far too lenient in what they let fester here and what they tolerate

..and once again a thread is hijacked.

grotonsteel
06-25-2012, 12:22 PM

Maybe you have never been to other Steelers Message Board. Planet Steelers is G-Rated.:D

phillyesq
06-25-2012, 12:23 PM
..and once again a thread is hijacked.

Exactly. Nearly every thread, regardless of the starting point, ends up being hijacked.

Debate is one thing - and Crash, you are able to contribute to a debate. The problem is that rather than discussing the issue at hand you turn everything into another discussion over your agenda.

D Rock
06-25-2012, 12:29 PM
I think it's pretty obvious by the thread title that I intended to have this merged with the exact same thread I started on the NHL forum. The NHL forum gets very very very little traffic, and this was big Pittsburgh sports news so I put it here for those who would be interested to know what happened but might not seek out NHL news.

Then it became Steelers related and rightfully was left on the Steelers board.

Then Crash continued to add to the NHL news-iness of the thread while simultaneously demanding it be moved....rather than just posting his NHL news in the NHL forum. Why? Well because he wanted people to hear what he had to say, of course, and there isn't enough traffic in the NHL forum for people to see his posts.

Kinda funny how it all works when you really think about it.

Crash
06-25-2012, 12:47 PM
I'm getting threatened with banishment for off topic postings. All I pointed out was, that if my Big 33 Classic (A PA HS FOOTBALL GAME posted on a STEELERS FORUM) thread was REMOVED MINUTES after I posted it here. So why shouldn't this thread be moved AFTER DAYS?

I'm all for off-topic threads, a good rule to abide by is 24 hours before moving it. I mean c'mon, where does 99% of the people here go when they log on here? The Steelers forum.

It's freaking June, I'd rather deal with a few off topic threads than no news at all.

You're thread is caught in the middle of inconsistent moderation.

Crash
06-25-2012, 12:48 PM
The problem is that rather than discussing the issue at hand you turn everything into another discussion over your agenda.

And when I'm called out, off topic, in a thread, then what?

Because as I said, that happens A LOT.

RuthlessBurgher
06-25-2012, 12:52 PM
I didn't insult you one bit Ruthless. I asked you a simple question.

You compared my consistency with Roger Goodell. And since I am well aware of what you think of Roger Goodell, that would be considered an insult of the highest order, no?

Anyway, back on topic...you mentioned getting a RB in return in a trade for Wallace. The Texans just signed Arian Foster to a new 5 year deal worth $43.5M ($20.75M guaranteed). After missing his rookie year due to injury, Ben Tate showed what he is capable of last season, rushing 175 times for 942 yards (5.4 YPC avg) and 4 TD's. Last season, Rashard Mendenhall rushed 228 times for 928 yards (4.1 YPC avg) and 9 TD's. So Tate outrushed Mendenhall, even though Mendenhall had over 50 more attempts (Mendenhall had 15 starts, Tate had 2 starts).

The Texans need someone to stretch the field opposite Andre Johnson (Kevin Walter is a possession guy, not a deep threat). Houston will be okay with Justin Forsett as the primary backup behind Foster, and we could even throw in, say, Jonathan Dwyer to be their #3 RB for further depth. In exchange for that, we could request their 4th round pick in the draft a couple of months ago, WR Keshawn Martin (who we brought to Pittsburgh for a pre-draft visit), to be our #4 WR behind Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery.

WR Mike Wallace and RB Jonathan Dwyer for RB Ben Tate and WR Keshawn Martin. I would still rather keep Wallace, but I figured I'd throw it out there as an alternate to Percy Harvin for the time being.

Crash
06-25-2012, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't trade Wallace to ANY team in the AFC. Especially to a team that fancies itself as a contender.

D Rock
06-25-2012, 02:07 PM
I wouldn't trade Wallace to ANY team in the AFC. Especially to a team that fancies itself as a contender.

I agree. The Texans offense is good enough as it is. It would be suicidal to voluntarily add Mike Wallace to their arsenal and only take a back up RB and depth WR from them.

Crash
06-25-2012, 02:11 PM
And if I was the Texans I wouldn't have given Foster that money either. That offense has proven it can churn out quality runners at the drop of a hat.

flippy
06-25-2012, 02:14 PM
I think people need to get over ME. I get insulted, bashed, called out in numerous threads

The way you said that makes it sound like you have a Hines Ward like chip on your shoulder. :P

Could Crash be the Hines Ward of PlanetSteelers? the latest PS Conspiracy theory :)

Crash
06-25-2012, 02:17 PM
The way you said that makes it sound like you have a Hines Ward like chip on your shoulder. :P

Could Crash be the Hines Ward of PlanetSteelers? the latest PS Conspiracy theory :)

Nobody gave me a chance! I'm only 5-6 1/2 with bad knees!

hawaiiansteel
06-25-2012, 02:20 PM

are you missing the ACL in your left knee? ;)

flippy
06-25-2012, 02:24 PM

LOL :) :) :) - Did you know you have to type at least 10 characters? Dang, I can't share my laughs anymore.

Oviedo
06-25-2012, 03:17 PM
You compared my consistency with Roger Goodell. And since I am well aware of what you think of Roger Goodell, that would be considered an insult of the highest order, no?

Anyway, back on topic...you mentioned getting a RB in return in a trade for Wallace. The Texans just signed Arian Foster to a new 5 year deal worth $43.5M ($20.75M guaranteed). After missing his rookie year due to injury, Ben Tate showed what he is capable of last season, rushing 175 times for 942 yards (5.4 YPC avg) and 4 TD's. Last season, Rashard Mendenhall rushed 228 times for 928 yards (4.1 YPC avg) and 9 TD's. So Tate outrushed Mendenhall, even though Mendenhall had over 50 more attempts (Mendenhall had 15 starts, Tate had 2 starts).

The Texans need someone to stretch the field opposite Andre Johnson (Kevin Walter is a possession guy, not a deep threat). Houston will be okay with Justin Forsett as the primary backup behind Foster, and we could even throw in, say, Jonathan Dwyer to be their #3 RB for further depth. In exchange for that, we could request their 4th round pick in the draft a couple of months ago, WR Keshawn Martin (who we brought to Pittsburgh for a pre-draft visit), to be our #4 WR behind Brown, Sanders, and Cotchery.

WR Mike Wallace and RB Jonathan Dwyer for RB Ben Tate and WR Keshawn Martin. I would still rather keep Wallace, but I figured I'd throw it out there as an alternate to Percy Harvin for the time being.

Well thought out. I could buy a deal like that versus way overpaying Wallace and screwing up the cap.

RuthlessBurgher
06-25-2012, 03:24 PM

Camp's only a month away...you better write your username on a piece of tape and stick it to the top of your computer monitor. ;)