PDA

View Full Version : Kiss My Blarney: Steelers Could Return To Ireland in 2013

hawaiiansteel
06-21-2012, 01:53 AM
Kiss My Blarney: Steelers Could Return To Ireland

Jun 20th, 2012 by CraigSteelers

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2012/06/towel_irish.jpeg?d1f0e4

A BBC News report today talked about the Steelers possibly soon playing a regular season game in Croke Park located in Dublin, Ireland. The BBC spoke with the US Ambassador to Ireland (and former Steeler ringleader) Dan Rooney about the return of the Black and Gold to the Emerald Isle.

I think sometime very soon it will happen and I think the commissioner is interested in working something out and, sure, Id like to see the Steelers involved. Dan Rooney

According to Rooney, hes been lobbying Goodell already for something like this noting how popular the regular season game in London is tickets usually sell out within moments of going on sale. Dan Rooney, of course, does not have the final say in whether the Steelers will play over sees any time in the near future let alone back to the place where he was just a twinkle in Ma and Pa Rooneys eyes. For any of these international games to take place, all 32 team owners, aside from the Commish, need to agree on a city.

http://cbspittsburgh.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/dan_rooney_84658265.jpg?w=300

Aside from the political logistics that need to take place in order for the Steelers to return to Ireland, the league must also find a suitable venue to play the game in. The Steelers and Bears played in Croke Park back in 1997 as part of the American Bowl Series . Mark Waller, chief marketing officer of the NFL, is very impressed with Croke Park as a potential site.

Were looking seriously at playing two games internationally and, as we do that, Ireland and this venue [Croke Park] in particular are very attractive to us - Mark Waller

So, thought its no official, the potential of a Steelers vs. Team X in Ireland during the regular season isnt far from reality. If Dan Rooney can play Ambassador to not only Ireland, but also Goodell and the rest of the NFL, then we could very soon see the Steelers back dancing with leprechauns and searching for gold.

At least they wont have Greg Lloyd around the next time to insult the people of Ireland.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/06/20/kiss-my-blarney-steelers-could-return-to-ireland/

Crash
06-21-2012, 02:40 AM
Why? What's the point? Tell the NFL to go screw themselves. Goodell holds personal grudges against this team, suspends innocent players, fines players for hard play while ignoring countless cheap shots to it's quarterback and his wide receivers over the past two years and now Rooney's going to bend over and send his team to Ireland?

Just once, I'd like to see the Rooney's show some loyalty to their players and quit being Roger Goodell's whipping boy.

BradshawsHairdresser
06-21-2012, 09:26 AM
How about the Steelers stay in the U.S. and the NFL sends Herr Goodell to Ireland...with a one-way ticket?!

ikestops85
06-21-2012, 10:59 AM
How about the Steelers stay in the U.S. and the NFL sends Herr Goodell to Ireland...with a one-way ticket?!

:Agree 1234567890 (now my 10 character minimum is met)

feltdizz
06-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Why? What's the point? Tell the NFL to go screw themselves. Goodell holds personal grudges against this team, suspends innocent players, fines players for hard play while ignoring countless cheap shots to it's quarterback and his wide receivers over the past two years and now Rooney's going to bend over and send his team to Ireland?

Just once, I'd like to see the Rooney's show some loyalty to their players and quit being Roger Goodell's whipping boy.

I agree with the late hits on Ben and our WR's but I think the Rooneys really like Goodell as a commish... I doubt you will ever see us take a hard stand against Goodell.

RuthlessBurgher
06-21-2012, 12:32 PM
As long as they don't take away a home game for this, I have no problem with it (and since our season ticket waiting list is over a decade long, and other teams have difficulty selling out, I'd think they'd take away a home game away from a team with attendance issues and guarantee them at least one "home" sellout against the Steelers on the Emerald Isle).

grotonsteel
06-21-2012, 12:38 PM

:Clap :Cheers

I agree...+1 +1

hawaiiansteel
06-26-2012, 12:54 AM
http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/images/stories/Dan_Gigler/ireland_stash.jpg

A classic. The 'Stache and The Chin. Then Chicago Bears coach Dave Wannstedt hits a driver from the practice tee while Bill Cowher looks on at St. Margaret's golf club in Dublin in July 1997. Just a coupla 'Burgh lads on the links.

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/blog-n-gold/34539-steelers-return-to-the-old-sod

fordfixer
06-26-2012, 01:20 AM
NFL to touchdown in Ireland with Pittsburgh Steelers?
By Haydn Parry BBC NI Sports
Pittsburgh Steelers training
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18522442

Is American football about to touchdown in Dublin?

The NFL is looking at the possibility of staging a second regular season game overseas, following the success of matches held in London.

Since 2005, the NFL has played a regular season game - a competitive mid-season match rather than a friendly or pre-season game - at Wembley Stadium in London, in front of enthusiastic crowds of around 80,000 each time.

It's an experiment set to continue in October, when the New England Patriots will face the St Louis Rams.

The success and appeal of this 'exported' fixture means that other cities now clamour to host a game, and with the NFL now considering a second fixture overseas, Dublin is emerging as a prime candidate.

US Ambassador to Ireland and Pittsburgh Steelers owner Dan Rooney is keen for Croke Park to stage an NFL game.

Dublin has the stadium, Croke Park, the home of Gaelic games, which has an 82,500 capacity.

It also has an ideal advocate in the form of the US ambassador to Dublin.

Dan Rooney is also the owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers and is steeped in the history of the sport.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

It would be good to play a game here, at Croke Park, as the interest in the sport is so strong”

Dan Rooney Pittsburgh Steelers owner

He describes himself as "the last man standing", pointing out that among the 32 families of team owners within the NFL, he is the one who goes right back to the very beginning of the Steelers' existence.

He was aged just one when his father, Art, started the Pittsburgh franchise in 1933.

He grew up among the legends of the game, and freely mentions the likes of George Halas, legendary owner of the Chicago Bears, and Vince Lombardi, the iconic coach of the Green Bay Packers in conversation at the US embassy in Dublin.

The Rooney family also proudly trace their roots back to Newry, County Down.

It's hard to think of a stronger candidate to lobby for bringing a regular season NFL game to Ireland.

"I think it'd be terrific," he says.

"We came over before back in 1997 and played a pre-season game.
Irish heritage

"But now, with the regular season games in London at Wembley proving so successful, and tickets selling out almost as soon as they're put on sale, I would think it would be good to play a game here, at Croke Park, as the interest in the sport is so strong."
Miami Dolphins cheerleaders at Wembley Previous games in Wembley have proved to be popular

A canny diplomat within the sport, Rooney says he has already lobbied Roger Goodell, the NFL commissioner, playing hard on the fact that Goodell's family heritage also happens to be Irish.

"We've talked about it," he grins.

"This year, with the Olympics in London, it just wouldn't be the year to do it.

"But I think sometime very soon it will happen and I think the commissioner is interested in working something out and, sure, I'd like to see the Steelers involved."

But Mr Rooney and his family represent just one voice among 32 owners of the league's teams.

We're looking seriously at playing two games internationally and, as we do that, Ireland and this venue in particular are very attractive to us”

Mark Waller NFL chief marketing officer

Any move to bring a game to Dublin will need the consensus of all the owners.

This year, the NFL came to see Croke Park and discuss its suitability as a potential venue.

As Mark Waller, chief marketing officer for the NFL, explains, staging a game outside the United States is a formidable exercise for NFL teams.

He says there are a lot of boxes to tick before a venue is even deemed a feasible choice as host.

"When we bring a team over - we are bringing over at least 150 personnel - that's for each team.

"That's a massive infrastructural move and, I want to stress, with these overseas games it's also in the middle of our season. So, the logistics and planning side are key to the decision."
Passion
New England Patriots tackle Pittsburgh Steelers lineback Chris Carter American football is becoming increasingly popular overseas

So, does Croke Park meet the league's criteria?

"We need stadiums that have availability in the middle of our season and the soccer season," says Mr Waller.

"We also need them to be large, able to take the levels of hospitality and corporate entertainment that we generate.

"We looked long and hard before we came to play regular season games at Wembley. Now we're looking seriously at playing two games internationally and, as we do that, Ireland and this venue in particular are very attractive to us."

If the NFL needed any proof of the passion for their sport in Ireland, a college football game between Notre Dame and Navy is being held in Dublin at the Aviva Stadium in September and is already a sell-out.

As ambassador Rooney tells us and will no doubt continue to tell his colleagues around the NFL, Ireland is more than ready to welcome America's Game.

hawaiiansteel
06-26-2012, 01:25 AM
http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/images/stories/Dan_Gigler/ireland_practice.jpg

The Steelers practiced at Croke Park in 1997. The sign says "Do not walk on the grass" in Gaelic.

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/blog-n-gold/34539-steelers-return-to-the-old-sod

grotonsteel
06-26-2012, 11:06 AM
I don't get this move to Ireland. I mean what is the point?

Ireland, Greece, Spain, Itlay in short majority of Europe is on brink of double recession. Their national banks were on verge of bankruptcy.

Why would people buy tickets for American football when they have other important things to worry about in life?

Oviedo
06-26-2012, 11:18 AM
I don't get this move to Ireland. I mean what is the point?

Ireland, Greece, Spain, Itlay in short majority of Europe is on brink of double recession. Their national banks were on verge of bankruptcy.

Why would people buy tickets for American football when they have other important things to worry about in life?

Because there are enough Americans in Europe and Americans who will plan a vacation to Europe that they will have no issue selling out. Trust me, there are enough people with money in the UK who will go because it will be marketed as an "event" to be at and not just a game.

grotonsteel
06-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Because there are enough Americans in Europe and Americans who will plan a vacation to Europe that they will have no issue selling out. Trust me, there are enough people with money in the UK who will go because it will be marketed as an "event" to be at and not just a game.

Yeah true, NFL will be targetting Americans in Europe.

I still don't believe native people in UK or Germany really care about American Football. Well they don't even agree that American Football should be even called football.

Oviedo
06-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Yeah true, NFL will be targetting Americans in Europe.

I still don't believe native people in UK or Germany really care about American Football. Well they don't even agree that American Football should be even called football.

They like it as a unique "event." A place to be and to be seen. They will never embrace it as a major sport. I have many friends in Europe and getting them to one or two games a year isn't hard but they would never be interested every week.

fordfixer
06-26-2012, 02:26 PM

You mean like the Super bowl?????

Crash
06-26-2012, 04:26 PM
There will be a Super Bowl played outside the US if Goodell remains Commish. Which is flat out idiocy.

Oviedo
06-26-2012, 05:06 PM
There will be a Super Bowl played outside the US if Goodell remains Commish. Which is flat out idiocy.

And 50,000 Americans will fy to Europe to see it and make a vacation out of it. Very few average fans go to the Super Bowl. It is more and more being taken over by celebrities and corporations who won't hesitate to go overseas to see a big event like that. The NFL and the teams will also make more money on that Super Bowl than anyone they have ever had. I will still watch it on TV so I could care less if they play it on Mars.