PDA

View Full Version : Good article on Ben by Greg Cosell

Djfan
06-19-2012, 06:42 PM
http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/06/19/cosell-talks-the-ever-improving-ben-roethlisberger/

Just click the link. Cool video, too.

Slapstick
06-20-2012, 08:48 AM
Nice! Recognize, Cosell!

grotonsteel
06-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Nice Read. So Ben can play from pocket huh?? Who woulda have thought that....:cool:

RuthlessBurgher
06-20-2012, 01:50 PM
I guess Cosell is saying that, over the years, Ben has "tweaked" his game a bit, eh?

papillon
06-20-2012, 01:51 PM
Nice Read. So Ben can play from pocket huh?? Who woulda have thought that....:cool:

Anybody that actually watches the games. :p

Pappy

DBR96A
06-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Anybody read the comments? Here's a gem:

"Numerous other QBs produce behind lines as bad as the steelers:

Both Mannings. They are insanely good at preventing pressures being turned into sacks, and regulary lead the league in highest ratio of pressures to sacks. The Colts oline was dreadful in 2010, but Manning only got sacked 16 times. having been improved in the draft, in 2011 Indy’s combined QBs were sacked 44 times. Eli was the most pressured QB in the league last year.

Rivers, Brees, Romo, Cutler all have outproduced him with just as bad olines at some stage in their career. Stop using it as an excuse."

And here's my reply:

"Peyton Manning threw 17 INTs in 2010, which is more than one per game. He threw 11 INTs in a span of three games, which Roethlisberger has never done. You keep talking about Manning, but Ben Roethlisberger had a higher passer rating than him in 2007, 2009 and 2010. That’s not a typo; in three of the last four seasons that Manning has played, Roethlisberger has been a more efficient QB than him.

As for the other QBs you name-dropped, Eli Manning led the NFL in INTs in 2007 and 2010; Jay Cutler led the NFL in INTs in 2009, and Philip Rivers led the NFL in INTs in 2011. Drew Brees committed 27 turnovers in 2010. Since 2007, Roethlisberger has a lower INT percentage than all of them. So who’s outperforming whom here? Who’s committing too many turnovers here? Hats off to Tony Romo, the most mobile of all the QBs you mentioned. He’s been surprisingly efficient."

Some people have already made up their minds and prefer not to be confused with the facts.

grotonsteel
06-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Some people have already made up their minds and prefer not to be confused with the facts.

+1

Its all about perception. Ben wins because of great defense hence neglect his accomplishment. Other QBs win inspite of defense on their team.

Great stats BTW.

BradshawsHairdresser
06-20-2012, 09:07 PM
Good article. Hope Ben leads us to a couple more Super Bowls while he's here.

BURGH86STEEL
06-20-2012, 11:39 PM
+1

Its all about perception. Ben wins because of great defense hence neglect his accomplishment. Other QBs win inspite of defense on their team.

Great stats BTW.

The thing about this point of view is that the Steelers continue to be carried by the defense. The Steelers offense doesn't produce enough points to carry the team. The offense reflects Ben's inconsistent style of play. Will see if Ben's style of play willl change with Haley as OC.

Flasteel
06-21-2012, 09:27 AM
The thing about this point of view is that the Steelers continue to be carried by the defense. The Steelers offense doesn't produce enough points to carry the team. The offense reflects Ben's inconsistent style of play. Will see if Ben's style of play willl change with Haley as OC.

Continue to be "carried" by the defense? Please. Without Roethlisberger we are likely still looking for thumb rings. The defense has its weaknesses as does Ben, but don't try to diminish what he has brought to the table just because he has room for growth.

All you do is feed Crash's delusional thinking with posts like that.

flippy
06-21-2012, 10:30 AM
+1

Great stats BTW.

I think you could make a case that we've benefited from the wrong perceptions about Ben. Isn't it beneficial that teams think we're planning to run to set up the pass. It'll get defense playing us with more men in the box and open up the pass.

Everyone knows we're passing to win. Why tell the truth?

feltdizz
06-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Continue to be "carried" by the defense? Please. Without Roethlisberger we are likely still looking for thumb rings. The defense has its weaknesses as does Ben, but don't try to diminish what he has brought to the table just because he has room for growth.

All you do is feed Crash's delusional thinking with posts like that.

but it's true.... the D does carry the offense. I don't think anyone is saying we win rings without Ben.

Our scoring offense is atrocious and the D has a few games where they outscored our O. When we need a spark we look to the D. When we need a splash play we look to the D.

ikestops85
06-21-2012, 11:53 AM
Ben will never get the credit he deserves until our offense puts 30+ points on the board consistently. When that happens, no matter what Ben's stats are, he will get the credit. That's just the way many fans and analysts perceive things. Ben could have the exact same year stat wise this year that he did last year but if our offense is ranked in the top 3 people will blow up about how Ben has finally come into his own. We know it's not true but that's just the way things are.

P.S. I hope we are top 3 in offense :Boobs

grotonsteel
06-21-2012, 12:14 PM

Only way for that to happen is Steelers start playing Hurry up or No Huddle Offense more often. Steelers have young and agile O-line playes. Utilize their strength.
Stop going into a shell once taken a comfortable lead. Defense need to start getting TO.

feltdizz
06-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Ben will never get the credit he deserves until our offense puts 30+ points on the board consistently. When that happens, no matter what Ben's stats are, he will get the credit. That's just the way many fans and analysts perceive things. Ben could have the exact same year stat wise this year that he did last year but if our offense is ranked in the top 3 people will blow up about how Ben has finally come into his own. We know it's not true but that's just the way things are.

I agree... it doesn't matter if Ben has the same stats if our offense is ranked top 3. Better offensive production usually means the QB is doing a better job running the offense.

grotonsteel
06-21-2012, 12:18 PM
I think you could make a case that we've benefited from the wrong perceptions about Ben. Isn't it beneficial that teams think we're planning to run to set up the pass. It'll get defense playing us with more men in the box and open up the pass.

Everyone knows we're passing to win. Why tell the truth?

I don't think there are no wrong perceptions about Ben among other NFL teams. If i am playing Steelers i will be worried more about Ben than Redman+Mendy.

Baltimore Defense is geared to stop Ben and how to bring him down. They don't give a damn about Steelers running game. I am pretty sure that is the case with other NFL teams as well.

feltdizz
06-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Only way for that to happen is Steelers start playing Hurry up or No Huddle Offense more often. Steelers have young and agile O-line playes. Utilize their strength.
Stop going into a shell once taken a comfortable lead. Defense need to start getting TO.

I agree with TO's and playing to strengths but Red Zone is our weakness... what makes hurry up and no huddle a strength? What makes our young and agile OL who we haven't seen play as a unit have strengths in the no huddle?

New OC and new playbook, young wr's, 2 rookies on the OL and a speed demon at WR who hasn't run one new play from Haley's playbook doesn't really make our no huddle or hurry up a strength IMO.

I agree about not going in a shell once we have a lead but I don't think that means we go no huddle in the 4th.

feltdizz
06-21-2012, 12:27 PM
I don't think there are no wrong perceptions about Ben among other NFL teams. If i am playing Steelers i will be worried more about Ben than Redman+Mendy.

Baltimore Defense is geared to stop Ben and how to bring him down. They don't give a damn about Steelers running game. I am pretty sure that is the case with other NFL teams as well.

if teams didn't give a damn about the run game Mend would be a 2000 yard back the last 3 years... or maybe he really isn't what we thought he was.

grotonsteel
06-21-2012, 12:34 PM
if teams didn't give a damn about the run game Mend would be a 2000 yard back the last 3 years... or maybe he really isn't what we thought he was.

I don't think Mendy plays like a 1st Rd pick. Blame it on O-line or BA or injuries but he has not produced.

3.9 YPA is not going to send shockwaves among opponents D.

feltdizz
06-21-2012, 01:10 PM
I don't think Mendy plays like a 1st Rd pick. Blame it on O-line or BA or injuries but he has not produced.

3.9 YPA is not going to send shockwaves among opponents D.

:Agree 12345678910

Jackson
06-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Greg Cosell is Howard's nephew. Howard had more of a football background than Greg. So, why should we give a hoot what the lesser Cosell has to say about anything.

RuthlessBurgher
06-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Greg Cosell is Howard's nephew. Howard had more of a football background than Greg. So, why should we give a hoot what the lesser Cosell has to say about anything.

Because Howard is unable to give his point of view since he is, well, dead and all.

Slapstick
06-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Isn't Greg blogging for NFL Films?

How much more football background do you need?

NorthCoast
07-11-2012, 12:14 PM

This.

So while Ben's game has noticeably improved, it has not led to more offensive scoring. Just one more reason why Rooney needed to make a change at OC.