PDA

View Full Version : Quips' LB Brandon Lindsey impresses Steelers

hawaiiansteel
06-19-2012, 01:12 AM
Quips' Lindsey impresses Steelers

By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012

PITTSBURGH -- It's early in the process, but Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler likes what he's seen so far from rookie Brandon Lindsey.

“He’s done well,” Butler said. “Of course, he hasn’t hit anybody yet. We’ll see how he does in training camp.”

Lindsey, a former Aliquippa High School star who played college football at Pitt, was signed by the Steelers as an undrafted free agent in April.

For the most part, Lindsey lined up as the second-team right outside linebacker during OTA's and this week’s minicamp. With starter James Harrison missing most spring workouts with a sore knee, second-year pro Chris Carter got most of the reps with the first-team defense.

The Steelers have 14 linebackers on their roster including Brandon Johnson, a seventh-year pro who was signed Wednesday. Johnson was a backup outside ‘backer with Cincinnati the past four years. Typically, the Steelers’ 53-man roster includes eight linebackers (four inside, four outside).

“Brandon (Lindsey) is doing fine,” defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said. “We think he has some pass-rushing skills. He’ll get a chance to show what he can do once we get to camp.”

As a junior at Pitt when he played defensive end, Lindsey recorded 10 sacks. Last year when he played a hybrid role as a standup defensive end/outside linebacker, he had 8.5.

If Lindsey can't land a spot on the Steelers’ 53-man roster, he'd be an obvious candidate for a spot on the eight-man practice squad.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/quips-lindsey-impresses-steelers/article_52f6a2b2-e806-5a2f-8e54-e5ebce626c02.html?mode=print

Oviedo
06-19-2012, 07:45 AM
Practice squad material for 2012. But then again so was James Harrison at one time.

8467thekraken
06-19-2012, 09:28 AM
With both Foote and Harrison being on the wrong side of the tracks when it comes to age, these two may have landed in the perfect situation. Hopefully they can ride the pract. squad for a bit and improve until the spots open up for them.

I, for one, was quite pumped about these signings. I thought we did a nice job with our ucfa additions. Along with these two I am also excited about Butler, Maze and Bobby Golden.

Sure would be nice if Golden was the real deal. Probably the guy I want to pan out the most.

Wait and see.

grotonsteel
06-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Brandon Lindsey could give Carter a run for the money. I am excited about UDFAs. Training Camp can't come early.

What about Ivy? Any news? I was impressed by him last pre-season games.

SidSmythe
06-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Brandon Lindsey could give Carter a run for the money. I am excited about UDFAs. Training Camp can't come early.

If Madden 12 is any indication of Chris Carter's future he's going to be a star. Just Sayin'

Slapstick
06-19-2012, 01:32 PM

I think Mortty Ivy is a an ILB...

With the drafting of Sean Spence and the signing of Brandon Johnson, Ivy has a hard row to hoe...

hawaiiansteel
06-28-2012, 02:58 PM
guess he didn't impress the Steelers for very long...

Steelers add Baker, release Lindsey

June 28, 2012

The Steelers added linebacker Ryan Baker to the team’s active roster, the team announced today.

Baker previously spent time with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He signed with the Buccaneers as an undrafted rookie free agent from LSU on April 30, 2012. He was a second-team All-SEC selection by the coaches in 2011.

To make room for Baker, the Steelers released linebacker Brandon Lindsey. Lindsey signed with the Steelers as an undrafted rookie free agent from the University of Pittsburgh on April 28, 2012.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-add-Baker-release-Lindsey/a78ddd29-39e8-4f1f-9146-a8049402b43c

Oviedo
06-28-2012, 03:05 PM
I think Mortty Ivy is a an ILB...

With the drafting of Sean Spence and the signing of Brandon Johnson, Ivy has a hard row to hoe...

Maybe he does a Harrison and hangs around long enough until something clicks.

Oviedo
06-28-2012, 03:09 PM
guess he didn't impress the Steelers for very long...

Steelers add Baker, release Lindsey

June 28, 2012

The Steelers added linebacker Ryan Baker to the team’s active roster, the team announced today.

Baker previously spent time with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He signed with the Buccaneers as an undrafted rookie free agent from LSU on April 30, 2012. He was a second-team All-SEC selection by the coaches in 2011.

To make room for Baker, the Steelers released linebacker Brandon Lindsey. Lindsey signed with the Steelers as an undrafted rookie free agent from the University of Pittsburgh on April 28, 2012.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-add-Baker-release-Lindsey/a78ddd29-39e8-4f1f-9146-a8049402b43c

This tells me there is real concern about Harrison's back and/or Worilds' wrist.

hawaiiansteel
06-28-2012, 07:07 PM
This tells me there is real concern about Harrison's back and/or Worilds' wrist.

Steelers Sign OLB Ryan Baker, Release LB Brandon Lindsey

by Neal Coolong on Jun 28, 2012

We speculated what seems to be just moments ago (ahem) the possibility of the Steelers' recent run on outside linebackers - signing of Brandon Johnson, workouts of Markell Carter and Ryan Baker - could mean at least some insecurity as to the health of OLBs James Harrison and Jason Worilds. Or it could possibly be a message to Worilds and Chris Carter, two younger reserves.

If nothing else, it means UDFA Pitt product Brandon Lindsey is no longer on the roster.
The Steelers released Lindsey to make room for Baker, an undrafted free agent out of LSU. In what's likely just training camp fodder, these moves are usually made in response to something. It could be as simple as the coaching staff just getting back to work after some time off between the end of minicamp and today. It could be prognosis from the medical staff about an injury to someone.

What we know is that Johnson is a veteran player, though not too long in the tooth, who can contribute on special teams while making a move from inside to outside linebacker. Outside of that, the undrafted Baker has been available for quite some time now. If he was someone the Steelers were interested in initially, why pick him up now after minicamp is over?

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/6/28/3124103/Pittsburgh-steelers-sign-rookie-ryan-baker-release-brandon-lindsey#storyjump

hawaiiansteel
06-29-2012, 01:50 AM
Steelers Release Undrafted Local Product Brandon Lindsey

By Sigmund Bloom (NFL Draft Lead Blogger) on June 28, 2012

Between his hometown connection to the Pittsburgh Steelers via the University of Pittsburgh and Aliquippa High School and the Steelers potential need for a developmental outside linebacker, Brandon Lindsey seemed like the perfect candidate to be an undrafted player who sticks with his first team. He was even on the "all-undrafted team" put together by Dan Pompei of the National Football Post.

Now, it looks like he will have to find another team—or at least wait another year—to get his shot. Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that the Steelers released Lindsey today. The Steelers also signed linebacker Ryan Baker, but the team already had a roster spot open after releasing Troy Smith earlier this month.

Steelers Depot reports that Lindsey might have been waived with a shoulder injury, which could mean that they will stash him on injured reserve as long as he clears waivers. While that could give Lindsey another chance to make his dream of playing for the Steelers come true, this can't be how he pictured his first season in the NFL going only two months in and before his first training camp.

Lindsey had been lining up with the second team while James Harrison and Jason Worilds were recovering from injuries, so the team got a good look at him this spring. Barker, the new addition, is more of a 3-4 inside linebacker than an edge-rushing 3-4 outside linebacker, so 2011 fifth-round pick Chris Carter's roster spot is looking safer with Lindsey out of the picture.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1240134-steelers-release-undrafted-local-product-brandon-lindsey

phillyesq
06-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Steelers Sign OLB Ryan Baker, Release LB Brandon Lindsey

by Neal Coolong on Jun 28, 2012

We speculated what seems to be just moments ago (ahem) the possibility of the Steelers' recent run on outside linebackers - signing of Brandon Johnson, workouts of Markell Carter and Ryan Baker - could mean at least some insecurity as to the health of OLBs James Harrison and Jason Worilds. Or it could possibly be a message to Worilds and Chris Carter, two younger reserves.

If nothing else, it means UDFA Pitt product Brandon Lindsey is no longer on the roster.
The Steelers released Lindsey to make room for Baker, an undrafted free agent out of LSU. In what's likely just training camp fodder, these moves are usually made in response to something. It could be as simple as the coaching staff just getting back to work after some time off between the end of minicamp and today. It could be prognosis from the medical staff about an injury to someone.

What we know is that Johnson is a veteran player, though not too long in the tooth, who can contribute on special teams while making a move from inside to outside linebacker. Outside of that, the undrafted Baker has been available for quite some time now. If he was someone the Steelers were interested in initially, why pick him up now after minicamp is over?

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/6/28/3124103/Pittsburgh-steelers-sign-rookie-ryan-baker-release-brandon-lindsey#storyjump

If the Steelers were concerned about the health of Harrison and/or Worilds, they simply could have added Baker after the release of Troy Smith since they had a roster spot open. No need to cut Lindsey to do that.

Slapstick
06-29-2012, 09:50 AM
I think Lindsey must have been injured somehow...

grotonsteel
06-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Wel i thought he might be a diamond in the rough especially after hearing our Def Coaches praising him. Onto next UDFA i guess.

hawaiiansteel
06-29-2012, 02:54 PM
I think Lindsey must have been injured somehow...

Lindsey has a shoulder injury that is going to require surgery, the Steelers may end up placing him on injured reserve providing he clears waivers.

RuthlessBurgher
06-30-2012, 10:54 AM
How exactly is releasing an OLB prospect and signing an ILB prospect an indictment on the injuries of Harrison and Worilds?