PDA

View Full Version : Terry Bradshaw thinks NFL doesn’t truly care about former players

hawaiiansteel
06-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Bradshaw thinks NFL doesn’t truly care about former players

Posted by Mike Florio on June 14, 2012,

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/terry-bradshaw.jpg?w=241

The ongoing debate regarding whether current or former NFL players would let their sons play football continues.

This time, the comments come from a high-profile Hall of Famer with one small caveat: He doesn’t have a son.

“If I had a son today . . . I would not let him play football,” Terry Bradshaw told Jay Leno on The Tonight Show (via SportsBusiness Daily).

Bradshaw, who said he suffered six serious concussions in which he was “knocked out,” added something less inherently hypothetical: ”There will be a time in the next decade where we will not see football as it is.” He explained that the contact sports will “slowly phase away,” while soccer (which involve plenty of contact between ball and head — causing plenty of concussions, especially for girls), baseball, and basketball will grow.

That said, Bradshaw said he knew what he signed up for, and that he’d “absolutely” do it again.

Bradshaw also suggested that any effort by the league to suddenly express concern for former players is fueled not by compassion but by litigation.

“I have to be careful here because I work for Fox and NFL Network,” Bradshaw said, “but I don’t think they care. They’re forced to care now because it’s politically correct to care. Lawsuits make you care. I think the P.R. makes you care. But personally, when I got out in 1983, do I think they cared about me? No. And you know what? I don’t expect them to. I don’t need them to worry about me. I take care of myself. But, do they care? They’re forced to care right now because, P.R.-wise, it’s not very favorable to them.”

The comments about the future of the game from Bradshaw, one of the top analysts on FOX, bookend words uttered earlier this year by FOX’s Troy Aikman, whose dire prediction about the future of the game seemed unduly pessimistic and flat-out confusing, given that he still makes millions per year via the popularity of the NFL.

Last year, Bradshaw revealed that he suffers from the consequences of concussions, explaining that he routinely re-entered games after having his “bell rung.”

“I’d take smelling salts and go right back out there,” Bradshaw wrote for FOXSports.com. “All of us did that. We didn’t know any better. You don’t know how many times I was in the huddle, asking my teammates to help me call a play.”

To date, neither Bradshaw nor Aikman (who suffered multiple concussions during his NFL career) have joined in the concussion lawsuits against the league. It’s hard not to wonder whether either or both of them eventually will; if their relationships with one of the league’s broadcast partners won’t stop them from saying things that could be problematic from a P.R. standpoint, why not pursue whatever legal rights they may believe they have?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/14/bradshaw-doesnt-think-nfl-truly-cares-about-former-players/

Sugar
06-14-2012, 06:43 PM
I pretty much agree with Terry on this when it comes to the NFL's stance. However, Americans still don't take to soccer. Violent sports like MMA have been increasingly popular, so I don't think we'll lose our violence fix. Heck, one of the reasons that is cited for the decline of Americans in Heavyweight boxing is that the next great American Champ became a LB or TE instead. Who knows, maybe if they continue to water down football we could start to see larger guys going back into combat sports.

Crash
06-14-2012, 06:43 PM
I'm sure Commish Goodell will do whats right.

Crash
06-14-2012, 06:44 PM
Fighters don't want to deal with the polictics of boxing, so they go to MMA where's it's one guy (Dana White) calling the shots.

Notleadpoisoned
06-14-2012, 07:05 PM
I'm pretty sure that none of my past employers give a rat's behind about me now either, nor should they.

hawaiiansteel
06-14-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm pretty sure that none of my past employers give a rat's behind about me now either, nor should they.

true, but there's a good chance your past jobs didn't result in you having possible drain bamage for the rest of your life either...

RuthlessBurgher
06-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Terry was going to request that team doctors administer a post-concussion brain scan before allowing him to return to the field, but he did not know what type of scan should be done, even after spotting him the "C" and the "T". :p

hawaiiansteel
06-14-2012, 07:30 PM
"You don’t know how many times I was in the huddle, asking my teammates to help me call a play.”

Terry's teammates thought that was just normal behavior for him...:p

Discipline of Steel
06-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Terry was going to request that team doctors administer a post-concussion brain scan before allowing him to return to the field, but he did not know what type of scan should be done, even after spotting him the "C" and the "T". :p

Hey, i just met Hollywood Henderson. He lost his football fortune, won another in the Texas lottery, and now lives in Boca Raton, Florida.
I told him i was a Steeler fan and he kind of glared at me for a second, then said with a smile, "Those were some good games back then, weren't they?"
I told him it was good to meet someone from that era.

Sugar
06-14-2012, 08:09 PM

They would if other former employees were suing because of job hazards.

Sugar
06-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Fighters don't want to deal with the polictics of boxing, so they go to MMA where's it's one guy (Dana White) calling the shots.

Yeah, one corrupt jerk is better than having to deal with four!

Notleadpoisoned
06-14-2012, 08:31 PM
true, but there's a good chance your past jobs didn't result in you having possible drain bamage for the rest of your life either...

Choosing to play in the NFL is basically like selling your soul to the devil but instead of your soul it's your mind and body that your trading off for fame and fortune. Besides, these are supposed to be college-educated men so surely they were all intelligent enough to know the risks involved and instead use those free degrees to make a living doing something less physically demanding.

squidkid
06-14-2012, 09:47 PM

nobody forced them to play

squidkid
06-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Choosing to play in the NFL is basically like selling your soul to the devil but instead of your soul it's your mind and body that your trading off for fame and fortune. Besides, these are supposed to be college-educated men so surely they were all intelligent enough to know the risks involved and instead use those free degrees to make a living doing something less physically demanding.

exactly, these are scholars we are talking about here.
i knew about concussions when i was in highschool 20+ years ago. i cant believe these highly educated individuals werent aware of this.

rpmpit
06-15-2012, 07:17 AM
Coaching armpit jr.'s flag football team this year. Had our first coaches meeting a few weeks back. The guy that runs the whole program (flag up to varsity) predicts youth football will be gone in five years. Sad.

rpmpit
06-15-2012, 07:18 AM
Hey, i just met Hollywood Henderson. He lost his football fortune, won another in the Texas lottery, and now lives in Boca Raton, Florida.
I told him i was a Steeler fan and he kind of glared at me for a second, then said with a smile, "Those were some good games back then, weren't they?"
I told him it was good to meet someone from that era.

Cool. I would have told him how funny it was seeing him cry like a little bitch in the post game interview!!! :tt2

Slapstick
06-15-2012, 08:43 AM
nobody forced them to play

Nobody forces you to watch...

squidkid
06-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Nobody forces you to watch...

yup, but im not crying saying someone needs to pay me for possible loss of vision because i voluntarily chose watch.

Slapstick
06-15-2012, 10:42 AM
yup, but im not crying saying someone needs to pay me for possible loss of vision because i voluntarily chose watch.

Perhaps...but, if they didn't play football, you'd be crying and/or pissed...

squidkid
06-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Perhaps...but, if they didn't play football, you'd be crying and/or pissed...

wow, that's quite a reach for some sort of a comeback. dont you think?
what does you implying that i would be mad/pissed if those players chose not to play have to do with their pretending that they knew nothing about concussions and that they didnt have a choice whether to play?

RuthlessBurgher
06-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Yeah, one corrupt jerk is better than having to deal with four!

I dunno...look where one corrupt jerk calling all the shots has gotten this sport. If there were four corrupt jerks, maybe one of them might say something like "Hey, maybe we shouldn't destroy all those SpyGate tapes" or "Hey, maybe we shouldn't suspend a guy who was never charged with anything."

Slapstick
06-16-2012, 12:45 PM
wow, that's quite a reach for some sort of a comeback. dont you think?
what does you implying that i would be mad/pissed if those players chose not to play have to do with their pretending that they knew nothing about concussions and that they didnt have a choice whether to play?

It's not a reach at all...

You just want the players to shut up and play football so you can watch it...

If they didn't, you would be mad...

hawaiiansteel
06-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Ray: Bradshaw says football will ‘fade away’ in the next decade

FRIDAY, 15 JUNE 2012
WRITTEN BY RAY FITTIPALDO

In case you missed it, Terry Bradshaw made an appearance on the Jay Leno Show Wednesday night. He did a segment with Leno and later his daughter, a Nashville country artist, performed a song she wrote for her dad.

During his segment with Leno, Bradshaw was asked about the effect of concussions on football players. Bradshaw said he was knocked unconscious six times during his career, which spanned from 1970 until 1983. He disclosed that he is under the supervision of doctors at the Amen Clinic for the past two years. The Amen clinic helps diagnose and treat athletes with head injuries. Bradshaw called the clinic an “awesome place.”

Bradshaw, who is the father of two daughters, said if he had a son he would not allow him to play football. Here is what he said on the show about concussions:

“If I had a son today, I would not let him play football. There will be a time in the next decade when we will not see football as it is. I know it’s king in Texas, but I believe soccer will elevate itself, basketball and baseball…The contact sports will [fade] away. I would not want my child out there. The fear of them getting head injuries is too great for me. Football is an awesome sport, but it’s a violent sport. That’s why all of us love it. We know what we [signed] up for. The question is: Would I do it again? Absolutely.”

Bradshaw is one of many current and former players to say recently that they would not let their son play football. Former Rams quarterback Kurt Warner said it earlier this spring.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116767-ray-bradshaw-says-football-will-fade-away-in-the-next-decade

squidkid
06-18-2012, 09:28 AM
It's not a reach at all...

You just want the players to shut up and play football so you can watch it...

If they didn't, you would be mad...

you do know that bradshaw is retired, dont you?

hawaiiansteel
06-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Former Steelers Bradshaw Predicts End Of Football

Jun 21st, 2012 by dbuzardSteelers

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2012/06/5361820.jpg?9fc045

Terry Bradshaw has always been an enigma. He admitted it to me and millions of other people on a Monday night at Heinz Field. My buddy, Todd and I were at the Steelers/Colts game that night and surprise, surprise there’s T Brad getting honored or recognized or at least acknowledged at half time. He stood at the center of the field, flanked by his two daughters, and accepted the (mostly) applause and cheers from the fans that didn’t have to pee or need more nachos. He said how good it felt to hear the ovation from the Pittsburgh faithful again and encouraged the adulation to continue a little longer. He apologized for being an enigma to the fans and stated that the fans were always an enigma to him as well. For years Bradshaw had largely avoided Pittsburgh, even missing Art Rooney’s funeral. The four time Super Bowl champion, and two time Super Bowl MVP, did the best he could to begin to square his reputation with Steeler Nation that night. The Blonde Bomber then began returning to the Steel City more and more often. Stan Savran did an excellent interview with Bradshaw on Sportsbeat (RIP) in which they discussed the quarterback’s up and down relationship with the Pittsburgh fans, media, and Chuck Noll. The relationship between the QB and the City of Champions continued to warm. In recent years, Bradshaw has been seen in Pittsburgh hosting celebrity roasts, town hall meetings with former team mates, and interviewing current players and coaches. The citizens of Steeler Nation have come to know, respect, and mostly like Terry Bradshaw.

Bradshaw’s post football career has been next to amazing! He plays a mix of sage and simpleton, comic and commentator as well as anyone since Andy Griffith. He is a trusted football analyst, go to guy as a product pitch man, compelling interviewer AND interview subject, and has even done some acting. Not bad for a man who was called out as dead more times than Rasputin.

Last week Terry Bradshaw made some minor headlines for comments he made on Jay Leno’s late night (but not too late) gabfest. I am not a huge fan of Jay’s (CoCo, Baby) but watching him spar with Bradshaw, who goes off script and bounces from topic to topic like a humming bird on crack, is a real joy. There is no canned conversation when those two chatter boxes throw down and that is refreshing. Jay steered (after about seven attempts) the conversation towards football (surprise!!) and specifically to the suddenly hot button issue of NFL head injuries. Bradshaw did his level best to laugh off the first few questions and then waded into the fray by admitting that he had been knocked unconscious on the field six times in his career. He also added that if he had a son, he would not allow the child to play football. (Steeler Nation may wish that Clay Matthews’ old man had the same convictions…..) Then came the Bradshaw bombshell that got him some media traction: “In the next decade, we will not see football as it is”. OMG!! Bradshaw is predicting the end of the game! Well, probably not. That quote is as nebulous and enigmatic as anything that anyone has ever put out there. You could say that about anything: breakfast cereal comes to mind but I’m thinking that is because I’m hungry as hell right now. Yep Terry, things change. Football changes all the time. When Stan Savran (love the show!!) asked Bradshaw how severely his ADD/ADHD affected his ability to call his own plays, Bradshaw’s broke it down simply: “If the corners were up it was man to man. If they were off the line, it was zone. Throw it to the open guy”. I would say the game has changed a lot since then, Terry. The schemes are more complex, the players better conditioned, the equipment is top notch, the playing surfaces are much better, and almost nobody is on the juice!!

I know that the Hall of Fame member is addressing the concussion concerns that are on everyone’s mind (har har) right now. He told Leno that he sees basketball and soccer becoming more popular high school sports in the near future because they present less chance of injury. I’ve seen the waiting room at UPMC’s Sports Medicine Institute; I don’t think all of those kids play football. Modern football is safer now than it ever has been. Medical technology is better now than it ever has been. Players are being diagnosed with more injuries and conditions because science is allowing us to see the brain working in a 3D environment and players are actually pulled from competition if they are having symptoms. Tiny cameras can look inside the knee and shoulder and elbow so that even tinier medical instruments can go in and repair damage that couldn’t have even been seen let alone be fixed when Pittsburgh was building its dynasty.

Are concussions a major concern for the league and its players right now?

Absolutely!

Do these issues need to be addressed right now? Damn straight!

Is this the beginning of the end of professional tackle football? Not a chance.

Is Terry Bradshaw still the beloved mayor of Dog Patch? You betcha!!

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/06/21/bradshaw-predicts-end-of-football/

hawaiiansteel
06-30-2012, 03:08 AM
Guest Slog: Steelers will adapt

THURSDAY, 28 JUNE 2012 WRITTEN BY DAN GIGLER

Ed Bouchette is on vacation, and he's asked his loyal 'Slog' readers to fill in during his absence. Today's entry comes from Bill Strickland of Bensalem, Pa., who talks about how the Steelers will endure whatever changes come to the NFL. Enjoy.

Terry Bradshaw said the game will fade away.

The monstrous hits on quarterbacks from generations of linebackers, from Jack Lambert, to Greg Lloyd, to James Harrison, will always be fond memories to Steelers fans. I still smile at the '93 season game where the AFC bullies, the Bills, were battered by our Steelers 23-0 and our defense administered three concussions to three starters including Jim Kelly.

Today, many of those hits I just mentioned would have resulted in fines big enough to pay off my mortgage. They would have also resulted in suspensions that would have had Aaron Jones, who nailed Don Beebe, suspended forever.

Let's fast-forward to today.

I was mad at Roger Goodell for making James Harrison a scapegoat for hits he found detrimental. I was even more mad at Art II. I, even at the ire of my fellow PG+ friends, referred to him as a "pansy". I was comparing him to his dad. Dan defended Harrison on a domestic abuse charge at the wrath of women's advocates while James was getting killed with fines for ... doing his job. When I heard Art did step up I was secretly impressed.

Now to Roger. I used to loathe him for what I mentioned above. Now I just loathe ever having to be him. The older generations of NFL players that are complaining of the game getting too soft also have the ones filing lawsuits in the hundreds over suspected head injuries supported by ambulance chasers. I bet some of these players suing the league were ones trying to deliver the blows that they feel victimized for receiving.

The word is out. Lawsuits are filed, players are publicly stating they don't want their kids playing this game, and the media has done a great job of connecting the game with players going off the deep end.

Maybe they're right. If so, this game will be very different. I won't say it will go to flag football but it will look like the Pro-Bowl, which if not for giving the recipients of that honor a trip to Hawaii would be extinct. Many parents will not want their kids playing now. Most want their kids going to college and not with their heads being scrambled eggs -- as they would see it.

So where do the Rooneys come in the picture? As a reigning ownership since 1933 they have seen it all. Who else would you want in this situation? Blanc, Ross, Lurie, Adams, Kraft, Richardson, Jones to name a few other owners. I put my money on Art. Don't forget, Dan's tenure in Ireland is about over so you have to believe that he will put his two cents in.

This advantage will enable the Steelers to adapt.

And if Terry is right, he will get great resistance from the family that made him famous, giving him the pulpit that enabled him to say that.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116982-guest-slog-steelers-will-adapt

Crash
06-30-2012, 03:16 AM
It was Gary Jones who nailed Beebe, not Aaron Jones.

Seems fitting that such a typo occurs while filling in for Ed Bouchette.

hawaiiansteel
06-30-2012, 03:31 AM
It was Gary Jones who nailed Beebe, not Aaron Jones.

it was a MNF game in 1993 if I remember correctly, Beebe said that Gary Jones hit him so hard that it caved in his facemask...

Crash
06-30-2012, 03:45 AM
I believe he got him twice. Once in the 1993 game and the big hit in 1994.

BOTH hits would be fined in Roger Goodell's NFL.

NorthCoast
07-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Nobody is being fooled here. It's all about the money and wanting a piece of it. The oldtimers were not made instant millionaires like players today. The NFL had $9 Billion in revenue last season. That would quality the league as the 150th largest economy in the world. Contrast that with tobacco, when the lawyers jumped on the bandwagon it had about $1 Billion in revenue.
When a country graduates more lawyers than doctors, engineers, or scientists it is a cause for concern. No economy is sustainable without these creators of wealth and health.