PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger remains underrated on 'Top 100'

hawaiiansteel
06-14-2012, 02:08 AM
Ben Roethlisberger remains underrated on 'Top 100'

By Gregg Rosenthal
June 14, 2012

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is a two-time Super Bowl champion. Practically every game he plays is on national television. And yet he's still underrated.

Roethlisberger came in at No. 30 on NFL Network's "Top 100: Players of 2012" rankings, which is up 11 spots from 2011. He's the fourth-ranked quarterback on the list, which would make it seem like he's plenty respected.

And yet he was behind running backs Frank Gore, Arian Foster and Ray Rice on this installment of the show alone. We love that trio, but all running backs are replaceable. Roethlisberger was behind Clay Matthews during an off year. He's behind teammates James Harrison and Troy Polamalu. Please.

If you were starting a team from scratch, would you consider taking any of those players before Roethlisberger? Big Ben is still improving. Harrison and Polamalu are declining.

There is a misperception about Roethlisberger's 2011 campaign. He was not the reason that Pittsburgh fell short. In fact, we'd argue he took big-time steps as a decision-maker and quarterback compared to his excellent 2010 season, which ended in a Super Bowl shootout loss.

Now 30 years old, Big Ben is at that sweet spot where his mental approach to the game has improved while his physical skills have yet to wane. Aaron Rodgers is there. Tom Brady and Drew Brees are already past it.

We're not saying Roethlisberger should be ranked ahead of those three players, but he deserves to be in the discussion. He deserves to be a lot higher than No. 30.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...latest-top-100 (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829ce93f/article/ben-roethlisberger-remains-underrated-on-latest-top-100)

Jooser
06-14-2012, 06:09 AM
Absolute rubbish. Gronkowski and Matthews ahead of JH and Ben is a crime of intergalactic proportions. NFL Network blows sometimes. ....and they blew this one big time.

rpmpit
06-14-2012, 06:41 AM
The top 100 is a popularity contest equivalent to high school yearbook awards. Best looking, class clown, most likely to succeed, etc. The players pick the "winners". A good example is Vick at 71 (I think??). Love him or hate him, you can't tell me that Vick is the 71st best player in the league. Ben seems to be respected throughout the league for his tough play and success. But there's that whole douche bag, alleged rapist thing still hanging over his head. Without the rep, Ben would be much higher (lower number - you know what I mean :neutral:).

Jooser
06-14-2012, 07:08 AM
The top 100 is a popularity contest equivalent to high school yearbook awards. Best looking, class clown, most likely to succeed, etc. The players pick the "winners". A good example is Vick at 71 (I think??). Love him or hate him, you can't tell me that Vick is the 71st best player in the league. Ben seems to be respected throughout the league for his tough play and success. But there's that whole douche bag, alleged rapist thing still hanging over his head. Without the rep, Ben would be much higher (lower number - you know what I mean :neutral:).

:Agree:Agree The Gronkowski pick is a perfect example of this. The guy is only above average with anyone but Brady throwing to him all the time. Matthews is a stretch as well considering he was on one of the league's worst defensive units last season.

flippy
06-14-2012, 07:14 AM
Just win some more SuperBowls. Who cares if anyone likes you or not. Winning is the only thing that matters.

D Rock
06-14-2012, 07:45 AM
:Agree:Agree The Gronkowski pick is a perfect example of this. The guy is only above average with anyone but Brady throwing to him all the time. Matthews is a stretch as well considering he was on one of the league's worst defensive units last season.

I don't see how you say that about a TE who just followed up a 10 TD rookie season with a sophomore campaign in which he caught 90 balls for over 1300 yards and 17 TDs. Brady or no Brady, those are epic numbers for a TE and flat out the best season in NFL history a TE has ever had.

Now Clay Matthews and his 50 tackles and 6 sacks last year? That's overrated.

BradshawsHairdresser
06-14-2012, 09:12 AM
#30? Should be scandalous. Even if you don't like Ben personally, how can you not list him as one of the top 10 players? He's easily #1 on the Steelers, and that's no disrespect to Polamalu or Harrison.

feltdizz
06-14-2012, 10:00 AM

I agree with Matthews but Gronk? No way.. every player on the list could get the "if they had a different _______ they would be average"

Gronk is a beast and you can't blame the QB, scheme or team for his production...

phillyesq
06-14-2012, 11:16 AM
I agree with Matthews but Gronk? No way.. every player on the list could get the "if they had a different _______ they would be average"

Gronk is a beast and you can't blame the QB, scheme or team for his production...

Yeah, Gronkowski is an absolute monster. Can't dispute his ranking.

squidkid
06-14-2012, 02:54 PM
21 tds and 14 picks...............eh, pretty pedestrian to me.
it was based on last years perfromance, right?
30 seems a little high to me

feltdizz
06-14-2012, 03:05 PM

I think some fans are rating Ben based on his career instead of 2011

squidkid
06-14-2012, 03:21 PM
I think some fans are rating Ben based on his career instead of 2011

exactly.
the same thing is going on with the fans that are saying give wallace his 10-12 million a year. i dont care what he did his first three years in the league compared to anyone else. im not about paying the guy for his lifetime achievement , i want to pay him for what he is, a 1100 yard wr with 8 tds...............

Crash
06-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Ben's awful. Dump him.

hawaiiansteel
06-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Ben's awful. Dump him.

yeah, we can pretty much find any QB off the street to just hand the ball off 44% of the time...

hawaiiansteel
06-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Harrison and Roethlisberger are in the top 30 of NFLís top 100

June 14th, 2012 by April O'Neil

Last night the NFL released number 21-30 on their top 100 of 2012 list, and two Steelers made that section of the list. James Harrion came in at number 29 and Ben Roethlisberger came in at number 30. This makes 5 Steelers that have made the list to date with still the top 20 players in the NFL to go. Mike Wallace, Maurkice Pouncey and LaMarr Woodley also made the list. The Steelers only have one more person left on the list and thatís Troy Polamalu. Itís no surprise that he will come in somewhere in the Top 20.

James Harrison dropped down 8 spots from last yearís list where he came in at 21st. Thatís not surprising considering the injuries he had this year with his back and his eye. He had a slow start to the season. He definitely picked it up towards the end and is still one of the best at his position.

Ben Roethlisberger actually moved up 11 spots this year since he came in at number 41 last year. Roethlisberger had one his better statistical seasons this past year. But in that area he is still not in the top with Brady, Brees and company as far as yards and touchdowns. But I look for that to change with the new offensive coordinator this year. Hopefully next year heíll crack the Top 20.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2012/06/14/harrison-and-roethlisberger-are-in-the-top-30-of-nfls-top-100/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedBlackAndGold+%28Bleed+Bl ack+and+Gold%29

squidkid
06-14-2012, 09:42 PM
yeah, we can pretty much find any QB off the street to just hand the ball off 44% of the time...

yup, and according to crash the rooneys are insisting that the steelers run the ball on every single play this year so any turd can play qb for this new 2012 offense.

rpmpit
06-15-2012, 07:10 AM

Peyton Manning at #50.What were his stats last year?? :neutral:

Not attacking you squid. Just saying the list is a freakin' joke.

squidkid
06-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Peyton Manning at #50.What were his stats last year?? :neutral:

Not attacking you squid. Just saying the list is a freakin' joke.

i totally agree, manning shouldnt even be on the list. i dont understand why fans get all excited about this kind of stuff. the media puts this trash out there just so fans can piss and moan about it and argue. we are feeding into their ploy to get the publicity.
its just like the probowl, when our guys dont make it, they say its a popularity contest and means nothing. when they do make it, they use it as credentials for possible HOF consideration, contracts etc. etc.

Steel Life
06-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Clay Matthews is the heir (or should it be "hair") apparent to Ray Lewis as the new NFL fave...with his wild-man act eclipsing his actual production. No way he should be ranked higher than James...

As for Ben...4th best QB? That's about right, don't know if he should be top 20 but definitely ahead of Gore at least.

feltdizz
06-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Clay Matthews is the heir (or should it be "hair") apparent to Ray Lewis as the new NFL fave...with his wild-man act eclipsing his actual production. No way he should be ranked higher than James...

As for Ben...4th best QB? That's about right, don't know if he should be top 20 but definitely ahead of Gore at least.

I don't know Gore's stats but he was the RB on a team that turned it around and made it to the NFC Championship. If the numbers are decent it makes sense.

RuthlessBurgher
06-15-2012, 12:03 PM
I don't know Gore's stats but he was the RB on a team that turned it around and made it to the NFC Championship. If the numbers are decent it makes sense.

Gore's 2011 stats: 282 carries for 1211 yards and 8 TD's, plus 17 catches for another 114 yards.

Nothing fabulous.

For comparison's sake, in 2010, Rashard Mendenhall had more carries (324), more rushing yards (1273), more TD's (13), more catches (23), and more receiving yards (167) than Gore had in the season in which he was ranked ahead of Ben Roethlisberger (and many Steeler fans would like to send Mendenhall packing).

feltdizz
06-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Gore's 2011 stats: 282 carries for 1211 yards and 8 TD's, plus 17 catches for another 114 yards.

Nothing fabulous.

For comparison's sake, in 2010, Rashard Mendenhall had more carries (324), more rushing yards (1273), more TD's (13), more catches (23), and more receiving yards (167) than Gore had in the season in which he was ranked ahead of Ben Roethlisberger (and many Steeler fans would like to send Mendenhall packing).

Not fabulous at all... however, if Mend had those numbers and we had a below average passing attack I think he would be valued more.

flippy
06-15-2012, 02:59 PM
Not fabulous at all... however, if Mend had those numbers and we had a below average passing attack I think he would be valued more.

There are other Yinzers that would want him to get 600 carries.