PDA

View Full Version : Casey Hampton Contributing As A Coach While Rehabbing His Knee

hawaiiansteel
06-13-2012, 10:44 PM
Casey Hampton Contributing As A Coach While Rehabbing His Knee

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Pittsburgh Steelers veteran nose tackle Casey Hampton might not be ready to practice yet, as he continues to recover from off-season knee surgery, but it is not keeping him from contributing in mini-camp as coach and mentor to fourth round draft pick Alameda Ta'amu.

The video recap of the first day of mini-camp, that is posted on steelers.com, shows Coach Hampton in action as he instructs the Washington product during the Tuesday practice. This is the type of stuff that you love to see as a Steeler fan, and it is by no means a new occurrence, as the veterans have a long history of helping the young players on the roster instead of viewing them as someone that could ultimately take their job.

According to Will Graves, the Pittsburgh area AP writer, somebody put a "Coach Hampton" sign over Casey's locker recently. Hampton was evidently asked about it and joked that he's all for it "if they add it to my salary," according to Graves.

Since being drafted by the Steelers back in April, Ta'amu has said all the right things including how much he admires Hampton. With Chris Hoke now retired, the rookie will have to learn most of the nuances of playing nose tackle in the Steelers 3-4 system from both Hampton and Steve McLendon, along of course with defensive line coach John Mitchell. Even the Hoke is retired, he has been spotted at the Steelers practices this off-season, which gives Ta'amu yet another experienced player to learn from. That's the Steeler way in action.

Hampton was not only asked about his tutoring of Ta'amu thus far, but also about McLendon, who will likely start the season at nose tackle if Hampton is not ready by week one. According to Graves, Hampton said that McLendon could start for a number of other teams in the NFL already in his opinion. That's high praise, but not unexpected as Mitchell said following the selection of Ta'amu that the Troy product should not be discarded as big contributor in 2012. "Everybody wants to discard McLendon. Let me tell you this, hold your opinion until the season is over,Ē Mitchell said. ďIím just saying keep your opinion until after the season, (then) you make the decision.Ē

Hampton also commented Wednesday on his recovery from his third career ACL surgery as well. Graves reports that Hampton said that his rehab is going well so far at that his main focus right now is being ready for the week one game against the Denver Broncos. He added that he doesn't expect to be ready by the start of training camp and that is not a big concern to him. Hampton has long been expected to be placed on the Active PUP list once he arrives in Latrobe a little more than a month from now.

Prior to the draft, Hampton, who is entering his final year under contract, was asked to take a pay cut, and he obliged. The veteran surrendered his $1 million workout bonus he was scheduled to earn and allowed his 2012 base salary of $4.89 million base salary that he was scheduled to be paid to be reduced down to $2.8 million. The moved saved the Steelers $3.09 million in cap space as a result.

Ta'amu, who reportedly needs to lose 10 more pounds by the start of training camp according to Graves, will benefit greatly by having Coach Hampton around as he attempts to make up for time lost because of NFL rules that prevented him from attending OTA sessions until his college course work was completed.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/ben_roethlisberger_says_hes_not_going_to_change_hi s_game/11006321

steelz09
06-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Glad to see this...

I agree that McClendon is a guy we need to keep around. Our d-line is deep this year. Keisel, Hampton, McClendon, Ta'mu, Hood, Heyward. That 6 solid players to rotate and all could be starters on many teams.

BradshawsHairdresser
06-13-2012, 11:42 PM
Ta'amu, who reportedly needs to lose 10 more pounds by the start of training camp according to Graves, will benefit greatly by having Coach Hampton around

:shock:
Hope we're not talking about Hampton coaching Ta-amu on his weight loss program...

Maybe the plan is for Coach Hampton to devour all the food that would tempt Ta'amu...:grin:

Crash
06-14-2012, 12:02 AM
Then they want him at 335. He was 345 when we was drafted.

Not a big deal. He's not fat, he's massive, and he's wide.

Casey's all belly.

hawaiiansteel
06-14-2012, 12:20 AM
Hampton still believes he will play in opener

JUN 13
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- Veteran nose tackle Casey Hampton is still targeting to play in the regular-season opener, which would be eight months removed from tearing his ACL.

"Iím planning on coming back for the season," Hampton said Wednesday. "Thatís what Iím looking at. Thatís realistic for me. I donít know about anybody else.

The Steelers will have to make a decision on Hampton's status when they report to training camp in late July. They could put him on the physically unable to perform list, which would make him ineligible to play in the first six games of the regular season, or keep him on the active roster.

Hampton said he has yet to practice but he spent the time at Steelers mandatory minicamp running.

Has anyone mentioned the PUP list to Hampton?

"Nah, I canít see that happening," he said. "I feel like Iím ready to go."

Hampton isn't the only one being optimistic. "The one edge Casey will have on anybody is that he's been through this [injury] twice," Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said in February. "He knows what to expect. He knows how to do this. He knows how much work he has to do and he knows how he feels."

If Hampton isn't ready, Pittsburgh has two options: go with backup Steve McLendon or rookie fourth-round pick Alameda Ta'amu. Asked about the massive 6-foot-2, 348-pound Ta'amu, Hampton said, "Heís got to be strong, not necessarily thick. Heís a big kid, though. He looks powerful. Weíll see when we put the pads on."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/49695/hampton-still-believes-he-will-play-in-opener

hawaiiansteel
06-14-2012, 01:40 AM
Hampton mentors likely replacement

June 14, 2012
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://c4241337.r37.cf2.rackcdn.com/06-14-48_casey-hampton_420.jpgA hand-written sign on top of nose tackle Casey Hampton's locker reads "Coach Hamp," a light-hearted poke at Hampton's new-found status as the oldest member of the Steelers defense.

Hampton, a five-time Pro Bowler, will be 35 when the regular season begins Sept. 9 in Denver, and his goal is to be ready to play that game after recovering from surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his knee.

For now, he is playing the role of coach at Steelers minicamp, at least to the newest member of the defensive line and the player who ultimately could be his replacement -- rookie Alameda Ta'amu.

"It's easier than when I came to rookie camp," Ta'amu said. "I have Hamp and [Steve]) McLendon out there helping me out so I can get my technique right and play this defense right compared to one I had at [Washington]."

"At UW, as a defensive lineman, you want to shoot, get deep in your gaps. Here, you just want to stay on your man and play gap defense. You get out of your gap, you mess up the whole defense. It's hard, but I'll learn it."

Ta'amu, the team's fourth-round draft choice, is a 6-foot-2, 348-pound nose tackle who played at the University of Washington. Like Hampton, he is thick, powerful and harder to move than a grand piano.

But, until he sees Ta'amu perform at training camp, Hampton will not evaluate the player who is expected to be his heir apparent.

"He listens, he's willing to learn, but I don't judge guys until they put the pads on," Hampton said Wednesday between practice sessions. "He's a big kid, though. He looks powerful, but, like I said, we'll see when we get the pads on."

Hampton took a pay cut to return for one final season with the team after having ACL surgery on his left knee Jan. 27. He has been doing some resistance running at minicamp and said his rehabilitation is right on schedule.

"I'm where I need to be," Hampton said. "I feel my goal is to be ready for the regular season."

With one day of minicamp remaining, McLendon has been lining at nose tackle with the first-team defense and Ta'amu has been the backup. That is OK with Ta'amu, who is just trying to learn a different style than the one he employed in college.

Ta'amu did not attend the offseason training activities because of NFL rules that prohibit attendance from players whose college class hasn't graduated.

"It's real cool to be here," said Ta'amu, a native of Samoa. "It feels like I'm already part of this team. The veterans are already helpful. No one is trying to put you on the spot.

"I just want to help out. Whenever McLendon or Hampton get tired, I'll be there to back them up."

The Steelers defensive line has a decidedly different -- and younger -- look at minicamp. Not only is Hampton sidelined, but defensive end Aaron Smith and longtime backup nose tackle Chris Hoke retired after last season.

"It's definitely different when you've been with guys for 10-plus years," Hampton said. "That's the nature of the beast. That's how it is. I've seen a lot of guys come and go. I'm one of the old guys now."

Ta'amu loves having Hampton around because he considers himself a similar model of nose tackle.

"Hampton and big guys like [Vince] Wilfork [of New England], someone I can compare myself to, someone who can eat up the middle," Ta'amu said. "To have him here, to be like a leader and mentor to me, is a good thing."

Maybe he is Coach Hamp.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/hampton-mentors-likely-replacement-640230/#ixzz1xjf0Y1Te

flippy
06-14-2012, 07:28 AM
Hampton's coaching advice - Be fatter, be stronger, be short, be quick off the ball, and use leverage.

D Rock
06-14-2012, 07:49 AM
Hampton gave up a lot of money for the good of the team. I hope they bring him back as a coach in some way for at least one year and pay him the salary he gave up. He deserves it.

hawaiiansteel
06-16-2012, 02:51 AM
Hampton Will Likely Finish Career Outside of Pittsburgh

June 15, 2012
by steelblitz.com

http://steelblitz.com/wp-content/themes/londoncreative/scripts/timthumb.php?src=http://steelblitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/2_casey-hampton.jpg&w=560&zc=1&h=300

Casey Hampton is expecting to be ready for the start of the 2012 season. He is also hoping to play for a couple more seasons. Hamptonís contract is up after the 2012 season, however, which means he would have to sign a new contract to stay with the Steelers. With Hamptonís track record and ability he will demand at least $3-4 million. However, given the Steelers salary cap issues and Hamptonís age, he will turn 35 before the start of the 2012 season, it is unlikely that he will get a new deal in Pittsburgh.

The Steelers shy away from giving older players big time contracts. They have let multiple veterans walk via-free agency rather than give them a new contract. Joey Porter and Alan Faneca are a few recent examples. Hampton may have a few more years of playing time left, but history would say he only has one year left in Pittsburgh.

The Steelers drafted his replacement, Alameda Taíamu, in April and are excited about third year player Steve McLendon. When Hampton leaves, likely during the 2013 offseason, the Steelers will be left with Taíamu and McLendon. This will leave them without a veteran presence in the middle of the defensive line for the first time in years. Hamptonís long-time back-up Chris Hoke is also gone; he retired following the 2011 season leaving a hole behind Hampton.

This leaves open snaps at nose tackle during the 2012 season. These snaps will be given to Taíamu and McLendon which works into the Steelers plans. Their two young players will gain some experience allowing them to more easily replace Hampton next year. When Hampton leaves next year via-free agency the Steelers will allow Taíamu and McLendon a chance to win the starting nose tackle position. Whoever wins will start in 2013 and the other will likely back him up.

Hampton has been a great player for the Steelers, but like so many before him he will likely end his career somewhere else. Itís always hard to watch it happen, but replacing talent is one of the reasons why the Steelers have remained consistently competitive.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/hampton_will_likely_finish_career_outside_of_pitts burgh/11012645

squidkid
06-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Hampton gave up a lot of money for the good of the team. I hope they bring him back as a coach in some way for at least one year and pay him the salary he gave up. He deserves it.

casey didnt voluntarily give any money back for the good of the team. he could have either taken what was offerd or be cut. he's been stealing money the last couple years and i am hoping they still can figure out a way to dump him and save the cap space.

BURGH86STEEL
06-16-2012, 09:53 AM
casey didnt voluntarily give any money back for the good of the team. he could have either taken what was offerd or be cut. he's been stealing money the last couple years and i am hoping they still can figure out a way to dump him and save the cap space.

Hampton took less money to stay with the Steelers. Not sure how he was stealing money the last couple years? If he stole money I believe the Steelers would had cut him already. The organization believes Casey can still come back and be a contributor or he would had been cut like Ward, Farrior, or Smith.

squidkid
06-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Hampton took less money to stay with the Steelers. Not sure how he was stealing money the last couple years? If he stole money I believe the Steelers would had cut him already. The organization believes Casey can still come back and be a contributor or he would had been cut like Ward, Farrior, or Smith.

took less money to stay? who was going to give him more? if the steelers cut hampton, no nfl team was going to pay him more than what the steelers offered coming off his injury.
sure casey is an insurance policy incase the other NTs dont work out. i'm hoping that they do and they can save money by dumping hampton.

Sugar
06-16-2012, 10:22 AM

Stealing? Really?? How in the world did you come to that conclusion?

squidkid
06-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Stealing? Really?? How in the world did you come to that conclusion?

when i use the term stealing, im not referring to actually taking money. i use it based on his production, or lack thereof, compared to the amount of money he is receiving.

Sugar
06-16-2012, 10:38 AM
when i use the term stealing, im not referring to actually taking money. i use it based on his production, or lack thereof, compared to the amount of money he is receiving.

OK, but the hyperbole still doesn't match. Casey is a hard working veteran member of this team and an integral piece of the DL. Of course they are paying the man. They should be.

BURGH86STEEL
06-16-2012, 10:43 AM
took less money to stay? who was going to give him more? if the steelers cut hampton, no nfl team was going to pay him more than what the steelers offered coming off his injury.
sure casey is an insurance policy incase the other NTs dont work out. i'm hoping that they do and they can save money by dumping hampton.
Dude Hampton took less then his market value in his last contract negotiation. You don't know what a team would had paid him if he hit free agency. In case you never noticed, there is always one team willing to take a risk on players.

I am not sure about the CBA rules but the Steelers will probably owe Hampton his salary regardless if he is on the team or not.

BURGH86STEEL
06-16-2012, 10:49 AM

Based on your opinion of the Steelers 3-4 NT, Hampton's been stealing money his entire career. Hampton isn't paid to put up measurable production. After all these years you still don't understand the role of a Steelers 3-4 NT?

DukieBoy
06-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Casey has been a top-shelf Steeler for teammates and fans, for several years, and has earned full respect from many fans.

squidkid
06-17-2012, 04:03 PM
Casey has been a top-shelf Steeler for teammates and fans, for several years, and has earned full respect from many fans.

im not denying that. that said, i dont think it makes sense to pay the man more money than he deserves just because he is a good teammate and was a great NT

Sugar
06-17-2012, 04:05 PM
im not denying that. that said, i dont think it makes sense to pay the man more money than he deserves just because he is a good teammate and was a great NT

Your right in the sense that it doesn't make sense to pay him more than he deserves. In this case the Steelers haven't and won't, so we're all good!

squidkid
06-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Your right in the sense that it doesn't make sense to pay him more than he deserves. In this case the Steelers haven't and won't, so we're all good!

ok, i get it. you want to pay every steeler top dollar because they are on your favorite team.

feltdizz
06-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Based on your opinion of the Steelers 3-4 NT, Hampton's been stealing money his entire career. Hampton isn't paid to put up measurable production. After all these years you still don't understand the role of a Steelers 3-4 NT?

bingo... a lot of fans have no idea what the role of the NT is in a 3-4.... heck, no one in the front 3 in a 3-4 aren't measured by production/stats.

feltdizz
06-17-2012, 04:19 PM
ok, i get it. you want to pay every steeler top dollar because they are on your favorite team.

ask anyone in the league who has been the best NT in a 3-4 the last 8 years and just about everyone will say Casey Hampton.

hawaiiansteel
06-17-2012, 04:27 PM
ask anyone in the league who has been the best NT in a 3-4 the last 8 years and just about everyone will say Casey Hampton.

:Agree 100%...

squidkid
06-18-2012, 12:04 AM

once aagain, i agree.
but ask anyone who has been the best NT in a 3-4 the last 3 years and the answewr is not casey hampton

feltdizz
06-18-2012, 12:49 AM
once aagain, i agree.
but ask anyone who has been the best NT in a 3-4 the last 3 years and the answewr is not casey hampton

He's still in the top 3 IMO... and its not like he is "stealing" from us or was overpaid for his services.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-18-2012, 11:09 AM
I believe that the team holds a much higher opinion than some posters here.

phillyesq
06-18-2012, 11:25 AM
He's still in the top 3 IMO... and its not like he is "stealing" from us or was overpaid for his services.

Yup. I remember quotes from the Ravens after the game where they agressively tried to take out Casey's knees where they said that Hampton was the key to the Steelers run defense.

Casey is not as good as he was when he was younger, but he is still a very good 3-4 NT.

feltdizz
06-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Yup. I remember quotes from the Ravens after the game where they agressively tried to take out Casey's knees where they said that Hampton was the key to the Steelers run defense.

Casey is not as good as he was when he was younger, but he is still a very good 3-4 NT.

..and Aaron Smith was getting pancaked.

Casey is the anchor of our 3-4 and the running stats have shown him to be pretty good over the years.

hawaiiansteel
06-19-2012, 02:12 AM
It'd be tougher to replace Steelers' Hampton

June, 18, 2012
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Pittsburgh Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that he anticipates nose tackle Casey Hampton and running back Rashard Mendenhall to miss the start of the regular season.

"My guess is they'll open the season on PUP (Physically Unable to Perform list)," Colbert said. ďYouíve got to remember, both of those injuries happened late in the year.Ē

While this is no surprise because both had surgeries to repair torn ACLs in January, Hampton said last week that he was still targeting to play in the season opener.

If a player is placed on PUP to start training camp and remains there to start the season, he is required to miss the first six weeks. He is able to return during a three-week window of Weeks 7-10.

If Hampton and Mendenhall are both sidelined to begin the season, it will be tougher for the Steelers to replace Hampton. In the three years before Hampton joined the Steelers, their run defense ranked 13th, 26th and 12th. In the first two seasons with Hampton, Pittsburgh's run defense ranked No. 1. In fact, in 11 years with Hampton, the Steelers' run defense has ranked in the top three in the league nine times.

Pittsburgh is expected to replace Hampton with either backup Steve McLendon or rookie fourth-round pick Alameda Ta'amu. Both will get tested in those first five games which features running backs: Denver's Willis McGahee, New York Jets' Shonn Greene, Oakland's Darren McFadden, Philadelphia's LeSean McCoy and Tennessee's Chris Johnson.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/49868/itd-be-tougher-to-replace-steelers-hampton

RuthlessBurgher
06-19-2012, 01:08 PM
in 11 years with Hampton, the Steelers' run defense has ranked in the top three in the league nine times.

That's a sick stat. Considering what the primary job of a 3-4 NT is, that is quite a testament to the career of Hampton.

Slapstick
06-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Hampton is a dying breed...being pushed the way of the dodo by the NFL...

Personally, I don't mind the idea of having a 2 down NT like McClendon or Ta'amu and then taking that guy off the field and moving our two 1st round DEs inside on passing downs along with edge rushers Harrison and Woodley...

I think that draftng Hood and Heyward was good for depth initially, but was also a bit of foresight...

RuthlessBurgher
06-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Hampton is a dying breed...being pushed the way of the dodo by the NFL...

Personally, I don't mind the idea of having a 2 down NT like McClendon or Ta'amu and then taking that guy off the field and moving our two 1st round DEs inside on passing downs along with edge rushers Harrison and Woodley...

I think that draftng Hood and Heyward was good for depth initially, but was also a bit of foresight...

Or use all 3 of our DE's (Keisel, Hood, Heyward) on a 4-man line with Woodley, then have Harrison and Timmons as the nickle backers behind them (both would be able to blitz well up the middle as well as tackle from sideline to sideline). I don't want Foote out there as a liability on passing downs.

hawaiiansteel
06-21-2012, 07:52 PM
http://thatschurch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/steelerscamp1.jpghttp://thatschurch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/steelerscamp61.jpg

hawaiiansteel
06-29-2012, 02:46 AM
Steelers 2012 Position Battles: Nose Tackle

June 28th, 2012

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/323/144/125590669_display_image.jpg?1339721444

The next position battle on the list is at Nose Tackle. The Steelers have a had a stud in this position for years. Casey Hampton is expected to be sidelined at the beginning of the season though with his knee injury. Hampton would like to be ready but he is still most likely going to end up on the PUP List when week 1 comes around.

http://www.steelers.com/assets/images/imported/PIT/photos/article/2009_Casey_Hampton_ARZ_1395.jpg

That leaves a gaping hole in the middle. Hampton is a huge asset. Literally and figuratively. The Steelers have counted on Hampton for a long time. His role will be hard to replace. Hampton is a space eater who makes all the players around him better by taking up 2 and sometimes 3 blockers. The Steelers will try to fill that hole with one of three guys. They have Ziggy Hood, Steve McLendon and fourth round pick Alameda Ta’amu.

I already have Hood starting at LDE. He could make the transition to NT if the need were to arise. He has been rumored to be possibly making the switch if necessary. Hood could be a good nose tackle and would definitely take up blockers but he is more suited to be a DE. He could fill the role for 6 weeks until Hampton came off of PUP if it came down to it but I do not see him making the transition.

Then there is Steve McLendon. McLendon has been the fill in for Hampton and Chris Hoke the last few seasons. When someone went down with injury or needed a blow McLendon was the guy. McLendon played well in spot duty but many question whether he can do it on an every down basis throughout and entire season. His coach John Mitchell doesn’t have that fear. Mitchell thinks McLendon has what it takes. That is a lot coming from Mitchell he is not one to shell out undue praise.

McLendon has beefed up this offseason as well. McLendon has gone from his listed 280 pounds to a bulky 325. He is prepared to take over the NT position if necessary. McLendon is also not growing as a fat guy either. He looks good for a guy who weighs 325 pounds. That added weight will help McLendon take on double teams and shoulder the load at the start of the season.

Lastly is fourth round pick Alameda Ta’amu. Ta’amu was a steal for this team. He was touted as a second round pick to many. Ta’amu looks the part of a 3-4 NT. He is a huge man at 6’3 and 348 pounds. He is a strong kid who will have to learn how to take on blockers in the NFL. He was more of a push forward type of guy at Washington. That was more due to him overpowering players rather than being that type of player.

Ta’amu even if he does not start will still make an impact on this team. Even as a back up he will be on the field. Nose Tackles do not last all game in the heat of September. Ta’amu will still get some reps. He will be learning under fire. He seems to have a great teacher as well right now. Ta’amu is being coached up by Hampton. Hampton has taken the role of coach while he is not allowed to practice. That will do nothing but help this team. If Hampton can coach up Ta’amu and get him to the level he is capable of the Steelers will be in great shape heading into the future with this defensive line. Hood, Heyward and Ta’amu sounds real nice to me.

I do not see this as being much of a competition. Hampton starts if he plays. If Hampton is out this job is McLendon’s to lose. Ta’amu is still a bit to inexperienced. While I would love to see Ta’amu win this job I do not expect him to. If he does it means he is better then we all expected. That would be nice to see but it will not happen this fast.

McLendon is the leader in the clubhouse. With his new bigger body he should hold up well. John Mitchell is excited for both of these guys and really likes McLendon. If he likes him then I like him as well. Your starter in week one will be:

Nose Tackle

Steve McLendon

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2012/06/28/steelers-2012-position-battles-nose-tackle/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedBlackAndGold+%28Bleed+Bl ack+and+Gold%29