PDA

View Full Version : at this point, who do you think is being unreasonable in the wallace contract talks

squidkid
06-13-2012, 10:02 PM
1) wallace
2) steelers

Crash
06-13-2012, 10:03 PM
3) Neither

Sugar
06-13-2012, 10:05 PM
I don't know how I'd vote since I don't have the insight on the negotiations. It could be either side, but we don't have a way of knowing right now.

Slapstick
06-13-2012, 10:06 PM
I also vote neither...

hawaiiansteel
06-13-2012, 10:19 PM
I don't know how I'd vote since I don't have the insight on the negotiations. It could be either side, but we don't have a way of knowing right now.

true, I agree

squidkid
06-13-2012, 10:24 PM
ok, i'll use some deductive reasoning to have an opinion.
1) i dont ever remember the steelers not offering a productive player, in the beginning of their prime, a fair/better than fair contract to one of their own.
2) the organization has publically statede that they want wallace back and was going to make it a priority.
3) reports of wallace wanting fitz money, with no denial from wallace.
4) wallace calling himself part of 'young money'

Crash
06-13-2012, 10:30 PM
The Steelers didn't offer Plaxico a legitimate deal when he left.

That was easy.

Slapstick
06-13-2012, 10:43 PM

That was easy.

How bad did they want Plaxico back in 2005?

Crash
06-13-2012, 10:44 PM
How bad did they want Plaxico back in 2005?

Teammates and the FO wanted him back.

Cowher didn't.

Slapstick
06-13-2012, 10:45 PM
There you have it...

BradshawsHairdresser
06-13-2012, 11:20 PM
I also would agree that neither Wallace or the Steelers is being unreasonable in this situation.

flippy
06-14-2012, 07:38 AM
i'd vote for wallace's agent.

RuthlessBurgher
06-14-2012, 03:15 PM
I'll also throw my Montgomery Brewster vote in there as well...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wQtey9BMRZA/Ta9VBMF7OtI/AAAAAAAACM4/juVRNCyObM4/s1600/brewster.jpg

Eich
06-14-2012, 03:19 PM
Teammates and the FO wanted him back.

Cowher didn't.

Nor did Plaxico HIMSELF want to stay with the Steelers. "2-3 balls per game doesn't suit me".

Crash
06-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Nor did Plaxico HIMSELF want to stay with the Steelers. "2-3 balls per game doesn't suit me".

2-3 balls a game doesn't suit ANY receiver, and if you fine one that it does? He's a loser. If they told Plax he would be more involved with the offense he would have stayed. If everything was equal he stays.

Flasteel
06-14-2012, 05:01 PM
I personally don't think that Wallace is being smart or helping himself in any way. But unreasonable? Impossible to say without understanding what is turning down. Same with the team and what they are offering.

Crash
06-14-2012, 05:02 PM
If the team were offering him huge money? It would have leaked out by now. When the team wants "negotiations" and terms leaked to the media? They are.

Djfan
06-14-2012, 05:05 PM
There is only best guess here. We can't know for sure. So vote your best guess.

Sugar
06-14-2012, 05:11 PM
ok, i'll use some deductive reasoning to have an opinion.
1) i dont ever remember the steelers not offering a productive player, in the beginning of their prime, a fair/better than fair contract to one of their own.
2) the organization has publically statede that they want wallace back and was going to make it a priority.
3) reports of wallace wanting fitz money, with no denial from wallace.
4) wallace calling himself part of 'young money'

As soon as the story about Wallace wanting Fitz money came out he tweeted not to believe everything you read. That seems like at least a semi-denial to me. The good news here is that neither side has been negotiating in the press, which tells me there's still some goodwill there.

Crash
06-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Yep. As long as terms aren't being leaked by the team no bad blood exists. Once that starts, things aren't well.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-14-2012, 06:25 PM
I'd say neither.

Oviedo
06-15-2012, 07:48 AM

That was easy.

And they didn't miss a beat just like they won't with Wallace heading out the door. The Steelers are not going to screw up their cap structure for one WR.

Fortunately the front office gets that it is about the entire team not one player. That is why they are successful year after year and don't get the "man love" fans get for players.

RuthlessBurgher
06-15-2012, 11:33 AM
And they didn't miss a beat just like they won't with Wallace heading out the door. The Steelers are not going to screw up their cap structure for one WR.

Fortunately the front office gets that it is about the entire team not one player. That is why they are successful year after year and don't get the "man love" fans get for players.

I think Colbert has made it pretty clear that his intent has always been to sign Mike Wallace to a long term deal.

You can't compare Wallace's situation to that of Plaxico or Santonio...the decision to let those guys go was due primarily to shenanigans. The actions and attitudes of Burress and Holmes made it clear that they did not have what it takes to be a Steeler, and the front office concurred. In this case, Wallace wants to be a Steeler, and the Steelers want Wallace as well. It will get done. And it won't screw up our cap structure. Colbert and Khan know what they are doing.

Oviedo
06-15-2012, 11:41 AM
I think Colbert has made it pretty clear that his intent has always been to sign Mike Wallace to a long term deal.

You can't compare Wallace's situation to that of Plaxico or Santonio...the decision to let those guys go was due primarily to shenanigans. The actions and attitudes of Burress and Holmes made it clear that they did not have what it takes to be a Steeler, and the front office concurred. In this case, Wallace wants to be a Steeler, and the Steelers want Wallace as well. It will get done. And it won't screw up our cap structure. Colbert and Khan know what they are doing.

I agree the Steelers want Wallace to stay. I want Wallace to stay but at the right price. The Steelers will make Wallace an offer that is best overall for the team. It is then up to Wallace whether he wants to be part of the team or be able to claim a Top 3, 5 or whatever salary for his "respect." If where he ranks in the list of salaries is what is importnat to him then let him go and move on.

Wallace is a valuable asset but people need to quit acting like he is to this team what Joe Greene was to the team of the early seventies. He isn't that much of a franchising changing impact player.

RuthlessBurgher
06-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Wallace is a valuable asset but people need to quit acting like he is to this team what Joe Greene was to the team of the early seventies. He isn't that much of a franchising changing impact player.

Who is acting like this? Most people here want to keep him around at a good number...I don't see anyone demanding that Rooney hand Wallace a blank check to fill in whatever amount he desires...

When all is said and done, the overall value of the contract may look outlandish (in the VJax or DJax neighborhoods), but the signing bonus will be the most important thing. If the original signing bonus isn't outlandish, Colbert and Khan will have the flexibility to make adjustments in the future if we remain near the cap ceiling and need some relief (Wallace could be a guy willing to convert some of his yearly salary to signing bonus on a year-to-year basis as needed in order to massage the cap until the overall cap number rises with the new TV contracts).

Crash
06-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Neither was Joe Greene. If anything Wallace is acting like Joe Greene did in 1974 when he was so frustrated during that year that he was going to quit.