PDA

View Full Version : Who Is This Mythical Yinzer?

flippy
06-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Which one of you is guilty of wanting to protect Lebeau and our defense's reputation over the Steelers winning?

Which one of you likes Kordell better than Ben?

Which one of you wants to run 70% of the time?

Which one of you likes BA's use of David Johnson?

I'm getting confused recently. I'm starting to think no one wants to win anymore. Might be time for a new SuperBowl or Bust thread.

grotonsteel
06-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Everyone in Steeler nation would want Steelers to win No.7 this season.

But there are few Steelers Nation fans who says Steelers lost because of Offense and defense can never do anything wrong. Steelers win because of Defense and lose because of Offense

One reason i defend the Offense because they are always the scapegoat no matter what.Everyone fails to see how Offense help Steelers Defense to be in Top-10.

Injuries are excuse for defense. Offense scored too quickly is an excuse for defense but injuries, O-line changes, WR changes can't be given as an excuse for offense. Ben is paid 15 million dollars so no matter what Offense has to be Top-5 scoring offense.

Prime Example: Denver Broncos playoff game

People complain about Offense even though defense laid a big egg in that game. Offense scored 23 points against a very good denver defense which should have been enough to win the game.

Crash
06-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Everyone in Steeler nation would want Steelers to win No.7 this season.

But there are few Steelers Nation fans who says Steelers lost because of Offense and defense can never do anything wrong. Steelers win because of Defense and lose because of Offense

One reason i defend the Offense because they are always the scapegoat no matter what.Everyone fails to see how Offense help Steelers Defense to be in Top-10.

Injuries are excuse for defense. Offense scored too quickly is an excuse for defense but injuries, O-line changes, WR changes can't be given as an excuse for offense. Ben is paid 15 million dollars so no matter what Offense has to be Top-5 scoring offense.

Prime Example: Denver Broncos playoff game

People complain about Offense even though defense laid a big egg in that game. Offense scored 23 points against a very good denver defense which should have been enough to win the game.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And anyone who wants their opinion taken seriously? Can't dispute that.

Crash
06-13-2012, 02:50 PM
I'll never forget the Pats 2005 post game shows. Local media and fans on talk radio were actually UPSET, that the offense scored "too quickly" when they had a 1st and goal from the Pats 4 yard line down 7 points.

feltdizz
06-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Well, we also have the "srezniy" (shrez-nies) on this board who use 10 games since 2004 to prove how bad the D sucks. The srezniy reverse all logic and think the 21st Offense is the reason the D was ranked #1 last year.

yet....

Timmons is called a bust by many...
Everyone said Farrior needed to go...
we bash the 10 yard cushion a ton...
We complained about lack of pressure...
Lack of turnovers...
William Gay...
The old DL...

Crash
06-13-2012, 03:45 PM
10 games? LeBeau's 4th quarter scheme has sucked FOR YEARS.

Slapstick
06-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Nobody with a brain would dispute the defense's poor performance in Denver...

Neither would anyone answer Flippy's questions positively...

grotonsteel
06-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Neither would anyone answer Flippy's questions positively...

If Flippy brings down run % to 60% instead of 70% i think half the steeler nation would reply to it positively.

feltdizz
06-13-2012, 03:58 PM
I'll never forget the Pats 2005 post game shows. Local media and fans on talk radio were actually UPSET, that the offense scored "too quickly" when they had a 1st and goal from the Pats 4 yard line down 7 points.

That isn't the first time people have complained about scoring too quickly. A lot of people use that strategy. I'm not a fan of it but plenty of "geniuses" use that philosophy.

hawaiiansteel
06-13-2012, 04:00 PM
If Flippy brings down run % to 60% instead of 70% i think half the steeler nation would reply to it positively.

well, it was less than 45% last season. does that sound like a commitment to the run to you?

DBR96A
06-13-2012, 05:00 PM
...there are few Steelers Nation fans who says Steelers lost because of Offense and defense can never do anything wrong. Steelers win because of Defense and lose because of Offense

Those people have been listening to non-Steeler fans too much.

DBR96A
06-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Here's a novel concept: run the ball 50% of the time, and throw the ball 50% of the time. I bet that approach will work pretty well.

flippy
06-13-2012, 05:09 PM

I was gonna say 90%, but I can't even take it that far :)

phillyesq
06-13-2012, 05:10 PM
Which one of you is guilty of wanting to protect Lebeau and our defense's reputation over the Steelers winning?

Which one of you likes Kordell better than Ben?

Which one of you wants to run 70% of the time?

Which one of you likes BA's use of David Johnson?

I'm getting confused recently. I'm starting to think no one wants to win anymore. Might be time for a new SuperBowl or Bust thread.

The mythical yinzer is a strawman created by a troll. The troll advances, and then disputes, the arguments of this strawman.

grotonsteel
06-13-2012, 05:50 PM
well, it was less than 45% last season. does that sound like a commitment to the run to you?

Running game sucked last season. Why do you want to run for the sake of it? If it is not working move on to passing. Try bubble screens or 3 yards dump or RB screens instead of running the ball. It will take the same time of the clock.

If running game is working run 100% of the time but if it is not don't try to run the ball just to give your defense a breather and then blame Offense for poor scoring.

hawaiiansteel
06-13-2012, 05:57 PM
Running game sucked last season. Why do you want to run for the sake of it? If it is not working move on to passing. Try bubble screens or 3 yards dump or RB screens instead of running the ball. It will take the same time of the clock.

If running game is working run 100% of the time but if it is not don't try to run the ball just to give your defense a breather and then blame Offense for poor scoring.

what does Redman's last quote tell you, all you need to know in my opinion. other teams knew what was coming half of the time because Arians' running plays and designs were so predictable. many this is why our running game was so ineffective...

Isaac Redman Talks about the Advantages of Pittsburgh’s New Offense, his Grasp on the System and his Chance to Start at RB

June 8, 2012 – by Brad Gagnon

On if being forced to learn an offense forces everyone to concentrate harder:

“It does. It’s gonna take everybody to go home, watch film, go home and stay in the play book. As far as — last year a lot of guys probably just took it for granted, ‘I know this, I know that,’ and maybe not as crisp as we could’ve been, especially in the red zone last year. So now every single one of us is gonna have to be in our playbook knowing exactly what we need to do and exactly where we need to be.

And also, you gotta look at it, the other teams that we play, especially in our conference, they were used to us running the same plays and kinda had our playbook down and kinda knew what we were running.

Now, they got a whole new offense that they have to prepare for.”

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/201...o-start-at-rb/

grotonsteel
06-13-2012, 06:08 PM
And also, you gotta look at it, the other teams that we play, especially in our conference, they were used to us running the same plays and kinda had our playbook down and kinda knew what we were running.

I am not so sure about that HS but hey Redman knows 1000 times more about football than me. Well i hope he is right about this though.

How many times have we complained about Red Zone offense. I think it has been the same tune since BA took over.

Todd Haley never had a great running game in Arizona if i recall correctly but he had explosive passing game and i am hoping for the same. 3 steelers WRs reaching 1000 yards this season. Mendy being used more like LT rather than trying RUTM every single freaking play.

Flasteel
06-13-2012, 06:44 PM

I'll bet you are wrong. I'd go so far as to say that not a single regular poster on this forum would want to run the ball 60% of the time. I'm talking season average here. Certain situations will demand we go heavy on the run. This idea that any significant number of Steeler fans blindly defend the defense and have no criticism of the offense is pure imagination. Most of us are going to call it like we see it on both sides of the ball.

skyhawk
06-13-2012, 06:54 PM
10 games? LeBeau's 4th quarter scheme has sucked FOR YEARS.

This is why I have heartburn AND have drank too much beer by the end of the 4th (and high blood pressure). They HAVE had the worst 4th Q D in the league for at least 4-5 years. And I say it for almost every game at the Steeler's bar and everyone looks at me like I am crazy.

If we get a score in the 4th, the opponent seems to SCORE right after. Now, I know the other team gets paid to play and win, but it happens so much I wonder about the scheme and the conditioning of the D late in the game.

Flasteel
06-13-2012, 07:57 PM
The 4th quarter collapses have been common place since the Bengals killed us in the 4th quarter at the end of the 2001 season. It's not just the 4th quarter, it's also 3rd down and long. My buddy and I always prefer to see us face 3rd and short, instead 3rd and long...despite how ridiculous that sounds. I also look at the ability of smart, accurate quarterbacks to consistently carve this defense apart. We feast on the vast majority of the QB's in this league (I would bet we have one of the lowest opposing QB ratings in the league over the past decade), but the the guys we've faced who can make quick reads and deliver the ball have chewed us up more often than not.

I think part of this has been LeBeau's philosophy of keeping everything in front of you and limit the big play...his infamous "5-yard cushion". The other part has been the type of players we draft at corner. We haven't chased down a guy who can press and play man coverage...it's always the zone guy, who's smart and can tackle well. Ike is the only corner we've had since Woodson who could lock a guy down.

I have always loved the way this team plays defense, but have been critical of these flaws for many, many years. Two years ago, I took notice that LeBeau began to finally start blending in a few tight cushions and some "0" coverage after Brady shredded us. I think he immediately took notice of how effective this type of coverage could be and we targeted corners in last year's draft that can help us do a lot more of it. The quintessential example is how we played Brady last year. We pressed his receivers and suffocated them as soon as they caught the ball. I think Brady completed only one pass downfield and half his yards went to Gronkowski.

Now that Lewis, Allen, and Brown are set to take on a more prominent role in the defense, I think we'll see even more of this in 2012. If Woodley and Harrison can both stay on the field this year, I think this defense will be dominant in both phases and for 60 minutes. Maybe I'm wearing some black-n-gold goggles, but we'll see.:D

The Denver game was not this issue. That was a combination of LeBeau and the players selling out against the run and Ike having a wretched game against Thomas.

Slapstick
06-13-2012, 08:03 PM
It's also a matter of Thomas benefitting from a strong running game...

Crash
06-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Oh please Denver's offense was a freaking joke. They ran because Tebow couldn't be trusted to throw the football.

Slapstick
06-13-2012, 08:11 PM
They ran well for whatever reason...

And, when Tebow and his WRs have a good day, he showed he can beat teams with his arm...

Of course, he sucked the following week...

BradshawsHairdresser
06-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Oh please Denver's offense was a freaking joke. They ran because Tebow couldn't be trusted to throw the football.

Guess you and LeBeau think alike. DL played the Donks as though Tebow couldn't be trusted to throw the football...and we saw what the result was.

Crash
06-13-2012, 11:41 PM
Guess you and LeBeau think alike. DL played the Donks as though Tebow couldn't be trusted to throw the football...and we saw what the result was.

LeBeau played the Broncos like Cowher used to play Steve McNair: Scared too blitz.

And like I told Slap, I CALLED IT, a week before we played them.

I know LeBeau better than he knows himself at this point.

Old, slow, and it's over? Nope.

Try outdated, stale, and figured out.

630 yards and 5 TD passes given up in two straight playoff games.

When will he be held accountable for it?

Chadman
06-14-2012, 12:41 AM
Chadman blames facial hair. There seems to be an ever increasing volume of facial hair in the Steelers locker room. That can't be good.

Until the facial hair issue is dealt with, the Steelers are long odds to win a SB.

Jooser
06-14-2012, 06:45 AM
Chadman blames facial hair. There seems to be an ever increasing volume of facial hair in the Steelers locker room. That can't be good.

Until the facial hair issue is dealt with, the Steelers are long odds to win a SB.

Thank God someone finally had the brass cajones to point that out. Chadman, I honor your courage my friend. ...and I'd like to add that I don't believe it's just facial hair, some members of the defense have too much hair period! I believe Troy is football fast, but is he HAIR fast? Face it, that's a lot of extra weight to carry around, not to mention aerodynamic deficiencies that naturally occur....no damn wonder we blow these 4th quarter leads, it's HAIR FATIGUE!!! DL needs called up on the carpet and make haircuts a top priority, NOW!!!

flippy
06-14-2012, 07:23 AM
Thank God someone finally had the brass cajones to point that out. Chadman, I honor your courage my friend. ...and I'd like to add that I don't believe it's just facial hair, some members of the defense have too much hair period! I believe Troy is football fast, but is he HAIR fast? Face it, that's a lot of extra weight to carry around, not to mention aerodynamic deficiencies that naturally occur....no damn wonder we blow these 4th quarter leads, it's HAIR FATIGUE!!! DL needs called up on the carpet and make haircuts a top priority, NOW!!!

Good point guys. But these hair things can have a lingering impact even after they're gone. See Mike Wallace and his old mohawk. Everyone knew it was douchey. It slowed him down. He got rid of it. And his play improved. But look at his contract situation. It's clear the Steelers are deal with the same guy that used to sport a mohawk.

Jooser
06-14-2012, 08:56 AM
Also true Flip. The mohawk may have warped Mike's hands a bit too. The constant prepping it takes to make it look good probably caused hand fatigue, thus resulting in a few drops. DL set the tone for the improper hair and needs to shoulder the blame here, not Bruce Arians.

Slapstick
06-14-2012, 10:20 AM
Also true Flip. The mohawk may have warped Mike's hands a bit too. The constant prepping it takes to make it look good probably caused hand fatigue, thus resulting in a few drops. DL set the tone for the improper hair and needs to shoulder the blame here, not Bruce Arians.

It does kind of cheese me off that a dude almost twice my age has three times as mch hair as I do...

It's not natural...

Crash
06-14-2012, 11:20 AM
They ran well for whatever reason...

And, when Tebow and his WRs have a good day, he showed he can beat teams with his arm...

Of course, he sucked the following week...

They didn't run well, they just ran more.

Their offense sucked, if you are going to bash Arians for not scoring, Denver must be held to the same standard.

And if you want to credit their offense for 23 ppoints in regulation in the playoffs? You must do the same for Arians.

Slapstick
06-14-2012, 01:58 PM
They didn't run well, they just ran more.

Their offense sucked, if you are going to bash Arians for not scoring, Denver must be held to the same standard.

And if you want to credit their offense for 23 ppoints in regulation in the playoffs? You must do the same for Arians.

Yes. Thank God the Steelers started running the ball effectively in the second half...the offense works so much better when that happens...

Crash
06-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Yes. Thank God the Steelers started running the ball effectively in the second half...the offense works so much better when that happens...

Way to avoid you're double standard Slap.

DBR96A
06-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Try outdated, stale, and figured out.

In that case, it's no different than Bruce Arians' offense.

Crash
06-14-2012, 03:52 PM
In that case, it's no different than Bruce Arians' offense.

When the Steelers shell out $140 million on three offensive players like they did the defense last season? You let me know.

hawaiiansteel
06-14-2012, 05:59 PM
here he is:

http://www.aginggal.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/MessinWithSasquatch_11.jpg

Jooser
06-14-2012, 06:48 PM
here he is:

http://www.aginggal.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/MessinWithSasquatch_11.jpg

Keisel still hasn't shaved since last year? What was all that Shear the Beard crap?

RuthlessBurgher
06-14-2012, 07:13 PM
He's got Keisel's beard, Troy's hair, and Farrior's age...

Casey's appetite, Ike's swaggin', and Deebo's rage...

Unfortunately, since he's named "Bigfoot" Rex Ryan will send him 5 cartons of Jack Link's before we can make him an offer.

Djfan
06-14-2012, 09:11 PM
It's more than just hair. It's hair on top of the head. Look at how Terry B's game died with his hair. You can bet that Duce Staley has lots of back hair, but what was his career?

They need to draft guys with Will Smith hair cuts and no back hair. That Bigfoot guy needs to go to the Cards to play after we cut him.

Chadman
06-14-2012, 11:40 PM
It's more than just hair. It's hair on top of the head. Look at how Terry B's game died with his hair. You can bet that Duce Staley has lots of back hair, but what was his career?

They need to draft guys with Will Smith hair cuts and no back hair. That Bigfoot guy needs to go to the Cards to play after we cut him.

Agreed- all players sporting back hair should be cut immediately. Same for hair on the big toe. People with hair on their big toes are generally Hobbits (gross generalisation noted). The Steelers don't need Hobbits. They should cut them too. Mandatory big toe inspections should be held at the beginning of every practice.

And back hair inspections.

Slapstick
06-15-2012, 09:05 AM
Agreed- all players sporting back hair should be cut immediately. Same for hair on the big toe. People with hair on their big toes are generally Hobbits (gross generalisation noted). The Steelers don't need Hobbits. They should cut them too. Mandatory big toe inspections should be held at the beginning of every practice.

And back hair inspections.

You would know about Hobbits, wouldn't you?

They filmed those Lord of the Rings movies in your country...

(I know this is not the case. I am aware that New Zealand is a completely separate country. I was just going for the gross generalization thing...)

Chadman
06-15-2012, 11:36 AM
That's ok Slappy, we claim the good Kiwi's as Aussies- Russell Crowe, Heath Legder etc & leave them with the unknown types. So it's only natural that Americans, with their wonderful education system, shouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two.

In a completely unconnected path, below is a picture of the "William Wallace" monument statue in Scotland. Wallace, of course, became very well known to the world after the successful movie Braveheart brought his story to the big screen. Remember, please, that William Wallace is a very, very important figure in Scottish history.

Yes....that is all class right there...hopefully someone will amend the Abraham Lincoln statue at the Lincoln Memorial to include a dead vampire at his feet now that we find that Lincoln, when not being a President, got around as a hunter of the undead...

RuthlessBurgher
06-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Have have no hair on my big toes, but I do have hair on the 3 middle toes of each foot. Am I a hobbit? Or does that make me an orc? A hobgoblin, perhaps? Or whatever the hell that Gollum thing is? Anyway, does that mean I can play, or not?

Speaking of New Zealand, what has become of kiwisarah? Will she make her triumphant return for fantasy football season?

Also speaking of New Zealand, I love the posters from Murray's office at the New Zealand consulate in Flight of the Conchords. Classic stuff.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l4v3zgWVml1qc7jqro1_500.jpg

Slapstick
06-16-2012, 12:39 PM
That's ok Slappy, we claim the good Kiwi's as Aussies- Russell Crowe, Heath Legder etc & leave them with the unknown types. So it's only natural that Americans, with their wonderful education system, shouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two.

In a completely unconnected path, below is a picture of the "William Wallace" monument statue in Scotland. Wallace, of course, became very well known to the world after the successful movie Braveheart brought his story to the big screen. Remember, please, that William Wallace is a very, very important figure in Scottish history.

Yes....that is all class right there...hopefully someone will amend the Abraham Lincoln statue at the Lincoln Memorial to include a dead vampire at his feet now that we find that Lincoln, when not being a President, got around as a hunter of the undead...

Well, they are considering a JFK memorial to include Marilyn Monroe...

RuthlessBurgher
06-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Well, they are considering a JFK memorial to include Marilyn Monroe...

Teddy Kennedy's only regret will be that he died a few years before the unveiling...he never got the chance to take a peek under Marilyn's granite skirt. :(