PDA

View Full Version : Steelers receiver says he didn't mean to litter

fordfixer
06-13-2012, 12:53 AM
Steelers receiver says he didn't mean to litter

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1986126-85/sanders-campaign-anti-didn-litter-littering-trash-council-mayor-monday

About Brian Bowling
Tribune-Review Staff reporter Brian Bowling can be reached via e-mail or at 412-325-4301.
TribLIVE Mobile | Contact us
More Tribune-Review Tribune-Review

By Brian Bowling

Published: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 6:42 p.m.

Steelers receiver Emmanuel Sanders said Tuesday that he didn't intend to break the state's anti-littering laws and hopes there's still room for him in a local anti-littering campaign.

Speaking in the locker room during a break from Steelers minicamp, Sanders said he never meant to do anything wrong.

"I think littering is more throwing trash on the ground and knowing that you're wrong for it," he said. "I actually put the trash in the trash can. That's the big difference."

Sanders, 25, and Antonio Brown, 23, pleaded guilty Monday in Allegheny County Common Pleas Court to leaving boxes beside a private Dumpster on West Warrington Avenue in Beltzhoover. A judge fined each $300 plus court costs.

The Pennsylvania Resources Council partnered with the mayor's office on the anti-litter campaign, which included a television ad featuring Sanders encouraging people not to litter. David Mazza, regional director for the council, said Monday that it is pulling Sanders' ad until it could talk to him.

Mazza didn't return calls yesterday. Sanders could not be reached for comment later in the afternoon on whether he had heard from the Resources Council.

The campaign's website, www.donttrashmyturf.org, no longer provides a link to the Sanders ad.

Mayor Luke Ravenstahl, who is featured in another of the ads, announced in May that Pittsburgh police will more strictly enforce the city's litter ordinances and fine scofflaws who throw trash on the ground.

Mayoral spokeswoman Joanna Doven said Monday that while the incident with Sanders is "unfortunate," it doesn't change the mayor's commitment to the anti-littering campaign.

She didn't return calls yesterday seeking mayoral response to Sanders' wish to remain in the campaign.

Crash
06-13-2012, 01:03 AM
And this is news, why?

Ghost
06-13-2012, 08:46 AM
Meanwhile smokers are driving all over Pittsburgh (and everywhere else) tossing cigarette butts out their car windows as if that's somehow not littering. You want to make a difference, start handing out tikcets for that.

Jigawatts
06-13-2012, 10:14 AM
And this is news, why?

Because 3 years from now when you hate Emmanuel Sanders for no reason you can use this material to argue what a bad guy he is.

Eich
06-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Meanwhile smokers are driving all over Pittsburgh (and everywhere else) tossing cigarette butts out their car windows as if that's somehow not littering. You want to make a difference, start handing out tikcets for that.

I COMPLETELY 100% agree. How did smokers ever get the idea that this is not littering? They ALL do it. Why do cars even have an ash tray? They all put the ashes out the window and then the butt goes out the window, often bouncing off my hood and windshield. When my car is hit by these morons, it makes me want to find the first piece of trash I can find in my car and throw it at their car.

Make it a $300 minimum offense and shell'em out like a Pez dispenser. It'll clean up the cities and make the police force some money in the process.

Djfan
06-13-2012, 01:16 PM
The world is not your ashtray. Those butts kill birds who eat them. It kills me when I see fishermen toss them into the lakes. I just don't get it. Abolish those filters. It's not like they make smoking safe anyway. At least the filterless butts are leaves and paper (along with those annoying little additives the tobacco companies put in there).

flippy
06-13-2012, 02:29 PM
I never realized Sanders is 2 years older than Brown.

RuthlessBurgher
06-13-2012, 04:28 PM
Antonio Brown's TD dance can now be dubbed "The Litterbug Jitterbug" :p

http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/SWINGING-BALLS-ANTONIO-BROWN.gif

squidkid
06-13-2012, 06:05 PM
smoking seems to be a common denominator for people that lower moral values

Chadman
06-14-2012, 12:09 AM
Because 3 years from now when you hate Emmanuel Sanders for no reason you can use this material to argue what a bad guy he is.

Bwahahaha...