PDA

View Full Version : Kapinos ready to take over as punter

fordfixer
06-13-2012, 12:50 AM
Kapinos ready to take over as punter

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1977511-85/kapinos-steelers-blue-shoulder-batch-jersey-job-legursky-minicamp-practice
By Ralph N. Paulk

Published: Tuesday, June 12, 2012, 9:38 p.m.
Updated 1 hour ago

Steelers punter Jeremy Kapinos lost a split decision last preseason to Daniel Sepulveda, who earned the punting job after a close battle.

This time, however, with Sepulveda a free agent, Kapinos began minicamp as the favorite to win the starting job.

“I got a lot of last year’s competition with Dan,” said Kapinos, who returned to the Steelers late last season after Sepulveda went down with a knee injury in November. “Every practice you had to bring it against Dan. I hope he felt the same way about me. I had to bring my A-game every day, and it pushed me to new heights. We both bettered ourselves last year.”

Kapinos couldn’t land a job despite a solid preseason. General manager Kevin Colbert vouched for him with Cleveland and Detroit, but those teams pulled back.

“I worked out for Detroit, then the Lions signed a punter a week later,” Kapinos said. “You never know in this business.

“It seems when the Steelers get out of work, nobody wants to pick them up. I think they do such a good job of talent evaluation here that teams figure if you’re not good enough for the Steelers, then you can’t make it there.”

Batch out of the blue

Running back Baron Batch spent the past three weeks of organized team activities wearing a blue jersey to remind teammates that he is still off-limits when it comes to hitting because of ACL surgery last year. Batch finally was allowed to remove the blue jersey yesterday for the start of minicamp.

“Having the blue jersey on didn’t matter too much,” Batch said. “Guys will bump you up, but it was no different, really, from when I had it on and when I didn’t. The blue jersey was kind of a reminder to some guys to take it easy. Nobody really minded it too much.”

Legursky on the mend

Guard Doug Legursky had his left shoulder wrapped in ice after afternoon practice.

“It got bumped around a little bit in practice,” said Legursky, who is recovering from shoulder surgery. “It’s about coming back from the injury, but it’s good. It’s important for me to get the reps. I’ve got to work my shoulder back into shape.”

Legursky, who first injured his shoulder against the Colts in Week 3, expects to be at full strength when training camp opens next month.

Clay confident

John Clay was a considered a long shot to make last year’s roster. The second-year running back from Wisconsin is feeling good about his chances this season.

“The good thing is everyone’s starting at the same point with this new offense,” he said. “I still have that chip on my shoulder. I’m going to keep grinding. I don’t have any guarantees, so I have to keep improving.”

Ralph N. Paulk is staff writer for
Trib Total Media. He can be reached at
rpaulk@tribweb.com or 412-320-7923

RuthlessBurgher
06-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Kapinos ready to take over as punter

My money is on UDFA rookie punter Drew Butler to win the starting punter's job.

hawaiiansteel
06-13-2012, 01:34 PM
competition breeds efficiency, now if we could only bring in someone to push Suisham for a roster spot...

skyhawk
06-13-2012, 01:57 PM
My money is on UDFA rookie punter Drew Butler to win the starting punter's job.

Really? Who is this guy? And why?

RuthlessBurgher
06-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Really? Who is this guy? And why?

He's Kevin Butler's kid (the former Bears kicker from the 80's with the Gary Anderson like single bar facemask).

He's a two-time All-American punter (2009, 2010), a two-time Academic All-American (2010, 2011), and has won the Ray Guy award for the best punter in college (2009).

It was surprising that he wasn't drafted, because most analysts had him in the top-two draft eligible punters coming out of the draft (and some rated him above the guy the Jaguars used a 3rd round pick on). Interestingly enough, the year we took Sepulveda in the 4th round, Jacksonville also took a punter in the 4th round before us. At least we learned that we didn't have to spend another premium pick on a punter again so soon...

Plus, Kapinos is nothing special. He's not Suisham level bad or anything, but he can be improved upon...

skyhawk
06-13-2012, 04:42 PM
He's Kevin Butler's kid (the former Bears kicker from the 80's with the Gary Anderson like single bar facemask).

He's a two-time All-American punter (2009, 2010), a two-time Academic All-American (2010, 2011), and has won the Ray Guy award for the best punter in college (2009).

It was surprising that he wasn't drafted, because most analysts had him in the top-two draft eligible punters coming out of the draft (and some rated him above the guy the Jaguars used a 3rd round pick on). Interestingly enough, the year we took Sepulveda in the 4th round, Jacksonville also took a punter in the 4th round before us. At least we learned that we didn't have to spend another premium pick on a punter again so soon...

Plus, Kapinos is nothing special. He's not Suisham level bad or anything, but he can be improved upon...

Nice. But damn, his kid? We are getting old ain't we?

phillyesq
06-13-2012, 05:16 PM

You are dead on, as usual. Kapinos gets the job done, but it would be great to see if Butler could develop into a weapon.

It really is a shame that the 49ers matched the Steelers offer to Lee a few years ago.

Also a shame that the Steelers were not able to find a UDFA kicker on bar with Butler to really challenge Suisham.

Crash
06-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Hell Doug Drabek and Andy Van Slyke's kids are in the majors.

THAT makes me feel old.

RuthlessBurgher
06-14-2012, 12:22 PM
Greg Lloyd Jr. was drafted by the Eagles last year.

Ray Lewis' kid just committed to the University of Miami.

squidkid
06-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Greg Lloyd Jr. was drafted by the Eagles last year.

Ray Lewis' kid just committed to the University of Miami.

i thought you were gonna say he just committed his first adult felony crime

hawaiiansteel
06-14-2012, 05:16 PM
i thought you were gonna say he just committed his first adult felony crime

give him time, he's still young...:D