PDA

View Full Version : Early news out of Mini-icamp

hawaiiansteel
06-12-2012, 05:12 PM
no surprise, Mike Wallace was a no-show.

and here's some news regarding our OL and in particular about Mike Adams...

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

Trai Essex (from his mouth) that he started with first team OL at RT with Foster at RG. We know Pouncey, Colon and Gilbert on left side

Essex on Mike Adams after Kugler got on him for quitting on a play: "A little thing like effort doesn't take a lot of talent to fix."

"Mike Adams learned that's not how we do things here."

(https://twitter.com/#!/search/from:ScottBrown_Trib OR from:MarkKaboly_Trib OR from:RalphPaulk_Trib?q=from%3AScottBrown_Trib+OR+f rom%3AMarkKaboly_Trib+OR+from%3ARalphPaulk_Trib)ht tps://twitter.com/#!/search/from:ScottBrown_Trib OR from:MarkKaboly_Trib OR from:RalphPaulk_Trib?q=from%3AScottBrown_Trib+OR+f rom%3AMarkKaboly_Trib+OR+from%3ARalphPaulk_Trib

Crash
06-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Yeah Trai because it's not like you haven't had issues with weight and effort over the years.

You'll be sitting the bench, Adams will be starting.

Cam Heyward gave both DD and Adams a positive review today after going up against them.

hawaiiansteel
06-12-2012, 05:44 PM
some more news tidbits from the first day of mini-camp:

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

"Baron Batch's blue don't-touch-me No. 20 jersey has been removed from action.

No James Harrison and Curtis Brown practicing during AM session of minicamp

7th rounder Kelvin Beachum moved to guard.

Steelers last 15 mins of practice moved inside because of rain."

(https://twitter.com/#!/search/from:ScottBrown_Trib OR from:MarkKaboly_Trib OR from:RalphPaulk_Trib?q=from%3AScottBrown_Trib+OR+f rom%3AMarkKaboly_Trib+OR+from%3ARalphPaulk_Trib)ht tps://twitter.com/#!/search/from:ScottBrown_Trib OR from:MarkKaboly_Trib OR from:RalphPaulk_Trib?q=from%3AScottBrown_Trib+OR+f rom%3AMarkKaboly_Trib+OR+from%3ARalphPaulk_Trib

hawaiiansteel
06-12-2012, 06:11 PM
Cam Heyward gave both DD and Adams a positive review today after going up against them.

Rookies DeCastro, Adams busy as minicamp begins

UPDATED JUN 12, 2012
Associated Press

Willie Colon couldn't help himself. When rookies David DeCastro and Mike Adams walk into the offensive huddle during the opening practice of minicamp on Tuesday, the veteran left guard decided to have a little fun at the expense of the new kids.

''It smells like baby milk and pampers in here,'' Colon said just before quarterback Ben Roethlisberger called out a play.

Hopefully, not for long.

The Steelers wasted little time putting their top two draft picks to work during their first drills with the veterans. Both players split time with the first team after missing three weeks of organized team activities while finishing their studies.

Offensive line coach Sean Kugler did his best to keep his two new projects up to speed, calling them daily to go through reps and relay questions that came up during meetings.

Adams - taken in the second round out of Ohio State - would often bring his playbook and his iPad wherever he went during his final days on campus to help fight off boredom.

''To be honest, I'd be in class watching film and stuff like that,'' he said. ''I kind of checked out of school a while ago, just wanting to be here, getting back with my team.''

While allowing he's never ''satisfied,'' coach Mike Tomlin wasn't displeased with what he saw from either player.

''I'm comfortable with where they are and what they were able to display today,'' Tomlin said. ''Obviously they're working on limited time. They need to hurry up to catch up.''

At least they're here. The same can't be said for wide receiver Mike Wallace, who has remained in Louisiana during the offseason. The restricted free agent has yet to sign his first-round tender though Tomlin remains optimistic Wallace will be in the fold when camp starts in late July.

''It's probably short-term misery,'' Tomlin said. ''Hopefully there will be closure at some point and this will be in our rearview mirror.''

Tomlin won't have to push Adams to put his college career behind him while he tries to shed the reputation he received during a bumpy four years with the Buckeyes. The massive 6-foot-7, 323 pound Adams was an All-Big Ten selection in 2010 and made the second team last year despite being limited to eight games because of his role in the scandal that eventually led to coach Jim Tressel's dismissal.

Throw in his failed drug test just before the NFL combine and Adams arrives in Pittsburgh with plenty of baggage to go with his potential.

''I think some people question my ability (as a person) and as a football player,'' Adams said. ''As long as I do what I'm told and do what I'm taught I'll be alright.''

He won't have to look far for guidance. The locker room is littered with leaders, Colon among them.

The affable 29-year-old is now the elder statesmen among the linemen and is moving from right tackle to left guard. If Adams and DeCastro both do enough during training camp to be starters, Colon will have as much experience as the other four starters combined.

Asked if that makes him feel like a grandfather, Colon smiled and said, ''I don't know about grandpa. Maybe like an uncle.''

One who - much like Adams and DeCastro - is finding himself thrust into a new role. Colon appeared to have a lengthy future at right tackle after signing a five-year extension last summer.

The elation lasted all of one game. Colon tore his right triceps in the season-opener against Baltimore and underwent season-ending surgery. Rookie Marcus Gilbert eventually found a home at the spot, playing so well he'll likely be the starter there when the Steelers open the 2012 season at Denver on Sept. 9.

Gilbert's quick maturation gave the Steelers the freedom to move Colon to left guard. It's unfamiliar territory, but one Colon will gladly explore.

''I'm comfortable because I have no choice but to be comfortable,'' Colon said. ''Besides, I get to play next to (center Maurkice Pouncey). I'm excited. We're like two nasty dogs. Hopefully DeCastro can jump along and we can be three nasty dogs in the middle.''

DeCastro, the 24th overall pick out of Stanford, saves his nasty streak for the field. The soft-spoken 22-year-old spent his final month in college completing his degree in management, science and engineering. His final exams consisted of two projects and a test in his class on linear optimization.

Math, really hard math, in case you're wondering.

DeCastro talked about the exam with a shoulder shrug, saying simply ''it wasn't too bad.'' Maybe, but like Adams, DeCastro is eager to get started on his first real job.

The two rookies do have at least one thing going for them, they don't have to unlearn the system used by former Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. They come to the team as blank slates and their responsibilities really haven't changed despite the jump from college to one of the NFL's top teams.

''The playcalls are different, but the schemes are the same,'' DeCastro said.

It's the stakes that are higher. DeCastro and Adams are part of a young nucleus that will likely protect Roethlisberger for the remainder of his career. Gilbert is entering his second season, Pouncey his third.

They will be given time to grow and the team has never hesitated to thrust young players into tough spots and let them learn on the fly.

It's what happened to Colon, who started 16 games in his third season while helping the Steelers to the Super Bowl.

''With the Super Bowls we won in the past, it wasn't on the strength of the receivers, it was the on the offensive line,'' he said. ''If we can stack some championships up, that will be a testament to the offensive line coach and the guys in that room. Hopefully we do well.''

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/rookies_decastro_adams_busy_as_minicamp_begins/10996490

hawaiiansteel
06-12-2012, 06:31 PM
The quote of the day came from Willie Colon while in the huddle with the two rookies Mike Adams and David DeCastro:

"It smells like baby milk and pampers in here." :D

hawaiiansteel
06-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Steelers' top picks join team at minicamp

June 12, 2012
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://c4241337.r37.cf2.rackcdn.com/06-12-55_decastro_420.jpg
David DeCastro gets instruction from Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler.

The Steelers began their three-day minicamp today with three of their top four draft choice finally joining them on the field.

But, unless someone thought the Steelers were just going to hand starting jobs to guard David DeCastro and tackle Michael Adams, the two rookies worked with the second-team offensive line during the morning session.

DeCastro, the No. 1 pick, lined at right guard -- the position where he will likely begin the season with the first team. Adams, the No. 2 pick, lined at left tackle, but it remains to be seen if he is ready to be a starter.

DeCastro and Adams could not participate in the voluntary OTAs because of NFL rules that prohibit players whose college classes haven't graduated from attending.

Marcus Gilbert was at left tackle and Willie Colon was at left guard with the first team. Veteran Trai Essex lined at right tackle with the first-team offensive line.

But DeCastro and Adams weren't the only highly regarded rookies to finally get on the field.

Nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu, their fourth-round pick from Washington, also made his first appearance with his new team. Ta'amu is a thick 350-pound nose tackle from Samoa who will likely be the long-term replacement for Pro Bowl NT Casey Hampton. Like DeCastro and Adams, he could not attend OTAs.

"I'm happy to be here," Ta'amu said with a smile. "I'm a Steeler, man."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-top-picks-join-640066/#ixzz1xcep3jJk

squidkid
06-12-2012, 09:13 PM
The quote of the day came from Willie Colon while in the huddle with the two rookies Mike Adams and David DeCastro:

"It smells like baby milk and pampers in here." :D

this coming from some soft arse turd that has stolen money the last 2 seasons.........please

fordfixer
06-13-2012, 01:08 AM
Columnist likes the arm, field presence of Steelers' 'new' QB

http://www.heraldstandard.com/sports/columnists/jim_wexell/columnist-likes-the-arm-field-presence-of-steelers-new-qb/article_6f8993af-b280-5424-ad76-1a362cd81eb2.html

Jim Wexell, publisher of SteelCityInsider.net

Posted: Saturday, June 9, 2012 12:00 am | Updated: 8:28 pm, Fri Jun 8, 2012.

By Jim Wexell For HeraldStandard.com | 0 comments

Posted on June 9, 2012

jwdzeus

by jwdzeus

From the notebook of a sportswriter who likes the arm -- and, really, the field presence -- of the Steelers’ new quarterback:

-- But he must be nothing more than a camp arm, what with that No. 78 jersey they gave him.

-- Seriously, one rookie reporter raced off to his veteran mentor Thursday at Heinz Field to inform said mentor of his “scoop” about a No. 78 playing quarterback.

-- And more seriously, I loved Ben Roethlisberger wearing No. 78 in smirking defiance of the Steelers not having re-signed left tackle Max Starks yet.

-- The word I wanted to use was impudent. That word hit me after I saw rookie punter Drew Butler wearing the No. 9 of his idol Jim McMahon.

-- McMahon would’ve never complained about the new playbook, nor would he have praised the new draft picks throughout spring drills. He would’ve assured all that the new offense is a snap (even if it wasn’t, or even if he had no intention of learning it) and he would’ve ripped any rookie trying to replace one of his long and trusted bodyguards.

-- That’s what Roethlisberger did Thursday. Call him impudent if you must, but I love that he’s sticking up for one of his boys and that in chatting up the new offense in a positive manner he provided everyone around the team with more confidence.

-- Maybe some of the quarterback’s confidence has to do with the practice surge this past week of wide receiver Antonio Brown. Up until the last few practices, the star wide receiver had been Emmanuel Sanders -- by a long shot.

-- Brown made several acrobatic catches Thursday, but he had to laugh at one that was sheer luck. In a red-zone drill, Brown ran a corner route to the 3-yard line and didn’t turn in time for the ball. But the ball hit him in the head and he pinned it there and held on as he did two seasons ago against the Ravens. Brown also managed to keep his feet inbounds to move the chains. After practice I asked him about not getting his head around in time to find the ball. “Yeah,” he said with a big smile, “the ball found my head instead.”

-- After Thursday’s practice at Heinz Field, Brown and Sanders were off to the side taking their pads off, stretching out, cooling off, both beaming more confidently than ever with their standing on the team.

-- Sean Spence wasn’t so much a star yesterday, but his interception of Byron Leftwich over the middle brought out some of the news Spence had been making off the field.

-- The Steelers have already reversed their draft-day decree that Spence is a mack linebacker. The week-long absence of Stevenson Sylvester gave Spence an opportunity to play the buck position, and he’s opened plenty of eyes.

-- And most of those good impressions were made in the classroom. “He asks all the right questions,” said one coach.

-- But I wouldn’t write Larry Foote off just yet. He lined up to race Chris Carter and another linebacker in a 10-yard dash. Foote won by a step because he came off the snap more quickly, more instinctively.

-- Remember, with the disappearing of the fullback, buck backers -- or playcallers in the Steelers’ scheme -- don’t have to weigh 240 pounds anymore. Spence is listed at 231, but looks smaller.

-- I asked someone who watches practice tape if he’s been impressed by any of the young unknowns. He said that seventh-round pick Kelvin Beachum is “one who makes me say ‘wow.’”

-- After relaying this to another writer on the sideline, the writer -- who was watching practice and listening to me at the same time -- said, “As in, ‘Wow, look how fast Chris Carter just ran by Beachum.’”

-- Sure, rookies will have bad moments, but since hearing that tip I’ve been impressed by Beachum’s mobility, solid base, and versatility.

-- The other “wow guy” mentioned was seventh-round pick Toney Clemons. The WR who was great the first week and bad the second week bounced back impressively this third week.

-- As for the other seventh-round picks, another source told me TE David Paulson is “coach’s guy” and CB Terrence Frederick had been slowed by a hamstring problem “but he just made a play.”

-- Since I shared Mike Tomlin’s affinity for Paulson before the draft, I’ve been keeping an eye on him, and Paulson finally made his breakthrough this week. He had his best day Thursday. He even caught a pass over the middle and turned it up for a touchdown. He’s not flashy, but is plucky.

-- As for Frederick, all I can say is that he and undrafted rookie Terry Carter play as a CB tandem way down on the depth chart and Frederick is smaller but more polished, and, frankly, better.

-- A scout asked about my 12-year-old daughter’s athletic progress. She’s the goalie for a soccer team that just won the State Cup, and like everyone else has her flaws. After giving me some drills for her, the scout said, “Tell her to make her weakness her strength. That’s what the great ones do.”

-- Thinking it was wisdom passed down from the mountaintop, I repeated this to my daughter, who said, “Duh.”

-- Justin Kapinos is not letting Butler, the highly touted rookie, pull away in the punting derby. And undrafted rookie WR Marquis Maze had a two-“my bad” day with his coaches. So I’m moving safety Robert Golden to the top of the odds board for the roster chances of the undrafted rookies.

-- If the 202-pound Golden is the No. 1 undrafted rookie at this point, OLB Adrian Robinson is No. 1-A. The difference being the amount of talent in front of Robinson.

-- Robinson himself isn’t sure what running past tackles Marcus Gilbert and Trai Essex means in the spring without pads, but he’s as hopeful as the rest of the “tape-watchers” in the Steelers’ organization.

-- Andre Freeman, the undrafted rookie cornerback from Slippery Rock, made a stunning interception in the corner of the end zone Thursday. That kid’s not going away anytime soon, either.

-- Have to love Wes Lyons’s receiving potential as a tight end, but if you watch him hit a sled you want to yell “Stop ducking your head! You’re making my spine hurt!”

-- Tight end coach James Daniel came through with this comment to Lyons: “One thing we say in football is don’t duck your head, so don’t duck your head. You get hurt when you duck your head.”

-- He sounded like the commercial that ends with “so don’t end up in a ditch by the side of the road.”

-- FB/TE Jamie McCoy did the best job with the sled. Leonard Pope -- who’s probably heard about “pad level” ever since he was 10 years old -- adjusted best to Daniel’s instructions.

-- Cortez Allen is holding off Curtis Brown for the No. 3 CB job, but a scout told me Brown is probably the second quickest player on the team -- behind rookie RB Chris Rainey.

-- Rainey was born in prison but was standing there next to me, just off the field, at the pinnacle of his profession. I asked him if he could explain that gigantic chasm in a few sentences, but he could only laugh. One source told me that Rainey’s “smart, very smart, gym-rat smart.”

-- Rainey was wide open in the flat, but dropped the pass while no doubt salivating over the open grass in front of him. Tomlin went from saying “Get some!” to “Awww.” Ziggy Hood, who was hustling out into the flat, said to Rainey, “You dropped that. Time to die!”

-- Yep, Ziggy’s growing into a leader, and reading the papers, too.

-- And a few plays later Rainey made one of the sickest 360 spin moves of the spring.

-- If it’s not Spence, it’s Rainey who’s the most impressive rookie here.

-- Scout.com sent a survey to we team publishers, and one question was “Worst Draft Pick.” I honestly couldn’t think of one, so -- and this was two weeks ago -- I wrote, “Kelvin Beachum (?)” Well, after watching nine workouts, I e-mailed Scout to ask if they could change that to “None.”

-- At least the lower echelon -- picks 3 through 7D -- have shown great value. Next week we’ll have the opportunity to gauge the top picks, and no one expects to be disappointed.

hawaiiansteel
06-13-2012, 01:24 AM
great article, thanks for posting ff...:Cheers

Snatch98
06-13-2012, 01:28 AM
Rainey was wide open in the flat, but dropped the pass while no doubt salivating over the open grass in front of him. Tomlin went from saying “Get some!” to “Awww.” Ziggy Hood, who was hustling out into the flat, said to Rainey, “You dropped that. Time to die!”

LMAO.

Love this.

Shawn
06-13-2012, 02:33 AM
Adams half azzin it? I would never believe it! Gasp.

hawaiiansteel
06-13-2012, 02:37 AM
Adams half azzin it? I would never believe it! Gasp.

did Adams have a history of doing that at Ohio St Shawn?

Shawn
06-13-2012, 02:49 AM
You haven't been reading my posts about Adams have ya :)He is frustrating to have on a team you root for. All that size and physical ability but no fire. Yes he is known for half azzing for most of his college career

RuthlessBurgher
06-13-2012, 02:02 PM
Adams - taken in the second round out of Ohio State - would often bring his playbook and his iPad wherever he went during his final days on campus to help fight off boredom.

"To be honest, I'd be in class watching film and stuff like that,'' he said. ''I kind of checked out of school a while ago, just wanting to be here, getting back with my team.''

I don't like this attitude at all. Watching film in class is disrespectful to the professor. Once you sign up for a class, you give it your all until it is over.

DeCastro, the 24th overall pick out of Stanford, saves his nasty streak for the field. The soft-spoken 22-year-old spent his final month in college completing his degree in management, science and engineering. His final exams consisted of two projects and a test in his class on linear optimization.

Math, really hard math, in case you're wondering.

DeCastro talked about the exam with a shoulder shrug, saying simply ''it wasn't too bad.''

DeCastro's approach to his studies is much better. Taking classes on linear optimization right up to the end instead of majoring in football and little else like Adams at OSU.

''With the Super Bowls we won in the past, it wasn't on the strength of the receivers, it was the on the offensive line,'' he said. ''If we can stack some championships up, that will be a testament to the offensive line coach and the guys in that room. Hopefully we do well.''

We won Super Bowls in the past not on the strength of the receivers, but rather on the offensive line instead? Is Colon high? I seem to recall Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes bringing home Super Bowl MVP trophies, while the OL was responsible holding calls deep in our end, Ben taking unnecessary hits, and giving up 2 points via safety.

Crash
06-13-2012, 02:08 PM
That safety was a garbage call. That linemen beat Hartwig so bad the referee thought Hartwig dragged him down when all that happened was that Hartwig got bowled over.

BradshawsHairdresser
06-13-2012, 06:12 PM
That safety was a garbage call. That linemen beat Hartwig so bad the referee thought Hartwig dragged him down when all that happened was that Hartwig got bowled over.
Yup.
Good thing it didn't end up being the difference in the game.

D Rock
06-13-2012, 06:51 PM
I don't like this attitude at all. Watching film in class is disrespectful to the professor. Once you sign up for a class, you give it your all until it is over.

DeCastro's approach to his studies is much better. Taking classes on linear optimization right up to the end instead of majoring in football and little else like Adams at OSU.

We won Super Bowls in the past not on the strength of the receivers, but rather on the offensive line instead? Is Colon high? I seem to recall Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes bringing home Super Bowl MVP trophies, while the OL was responsible holding calls deep in our end, Ben taking unnecessary hits, and giving up 2 points via safety.

Agree and disagree. A lot of college classes are huge lectures - if that's what he was ignoring to learn the playbook then I don't care at all. I skipped a ton of classes and did plenty of not-paying-attention in college because I was paying to be there and I can do what I want as long as I don't interrupt the class. Adams wasn't really paying to be there most likely though (scholarships) so he probably should have paid attention out of respect to the school and people paying his way.

And seriously...when you have a reputation like his...you don't talk about 'checking out', even if the reason is that you were too excited about the next step in your life. I completely understand as a student the whole feeling of being over a class and not caring any more, but you don't tell the media that you checked out.

DBR96A
06-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Justin Hartwig got bowled over, but he did grab the defender as he fell, so I can understand why he was flagged. There's no point in dwelling on it since the Steelers won anyway.

hawaiiansteel
06-13-2012, 10:15 PM
2012 Pittsburgh Steelers Minicamp – Day Two News, Notes & Recap From Wednesday

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

The Pittsburgh Steelers have now wrapped up day two of their 2012 mini-camp and below is the daily aggregation of reports from the likes of Mark Kaboly, Scott Brown, Gerry Dulac, Mike Prisuta and Will Graves.

The morning started off with the Steelers officially announcing that they have signed long snapper Matt Katula and inside linebacker Brandon Johnson. To make room on the 90 man roster, tight end Wes Lyons was released and wide receiver Connor Dixon was placed on the Waived/Injured list with a leg injury of some sorts.

Emmanuel Sanders (knee) and James Harrison (knee) were among the notables not practicing in the morning session and it was also reported later in the day that Marcus Gilbert did not work in the morning session. Curtis Brown and Stevenson Sylvester were both still sidelined on Wednesday after both missed time on Tuesday. It is believed that Jason Worilds is still sidelined in addition as he recovers from off-season wrist surgery. Weslye Saunders also reportedly missed time on Wednesday in addition. John Clay reportedly sat out the afternoon practice with what may have been a hamstring strain.

Still rehabbing their knee injuries on the side are Rashard Mendenhall and Casey Hampton. Hampton told reporters that he has eyes on being ready by week one of the season and he is not upset at all that he will likely miss training camp practices. Hampton let be known that he still wants to play a few more years hopefully in Pittsburgh, but acknowledged that the Steelers have some up and coming youth now on the roster. During his talk with the media he praised both Steve McLendon and rookie Alameda Ta'amu.

Ta'amu said Wednesday that the team wants him at 340 by the time training camp starts. That means he needs to drop 10 pounds over the course of the next month.

Team president Art Rooney II was quoted during the middle of the day as saying in regard to restricted free agent wide receiver Mike Wallace, "He should be here." Sanders and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, both stated that they miss Wallace and are hopeful that he gets his situation resolved by the start of training camp. Neither seem concerned that he will not be able to catch up quickly. As it is has long been speculated, the Steelers still reportedly have no intentions of lowering the tender offer to Wallace on Friday.

Brett Keisel reportedly worked against rookie Mike Adams repeatedly on Wednesday and teased that he beat him most of the time. Keisel added that Adams has potential though. He also added that the team wants both Adams and David DeCastro to come in and contribute right away and that so far he thinks that they like what they see in both of the rookies.

Roethlisberger is still withholding judgement on the rookies until they put the pads on. Both Adams and DeCastro continued to be rotated in with the first time for a second day in a row.

Roethlisberger said in his talk with media that he has no intentions of changing the way he plays this year. He also added that the biggest issue he had with the team bringing in a new offensive coordinator and a new offensive scheme after his eight years in the league was that it would force him to start the learning process over at the most inopportune time, which is him heading into the prime of his career. Quote wise the quarterback said, "That was it early on. I felt like I was really starting … I was hopefully going to be coming into the prime of my career and starting all over with an offense.”

During his talk with the media, Roethlisberger once again said they he will be able to use the running backs more out of the backfield than he has previously.

The Steelers will wrap up mini-camp on Thursday with a light practice according to reports. It will serve as the final off-season practice until the team reports to training camp in Latrobe late next month.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/ben_roethlisberger_says_hes_not_going_to_change_hi s_game/11006321

hawaiiansteel
06-14-2012, 12:44 AM
MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

Keep an eye on #Steelers rookie CB Terry Carter. Coaching staff really high on him.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/

Keyplay1
06-14-2012, 06:42 AM
MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

Keep an eye on #Steelers rookie CB Terry Carter. Coaching staff really high on him.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/

Seems there is a different opinion on page 1. From Jim Wexall's comments:

"As for Frederick, all I can say is that he and undrafted rookie Terry Carter play as a CB tandem way down on the depth chart and Frederick is smaller but more polished, and, frankly, better."

But, this is what makes these comments interesting.

The real reason for this post is I have been seeing several posts here and there saying how the poster had never had any use or interest in tweets. But, then said these OTA/mini camp sessions were perfectly suited for those short and to the point tweets . I had to agree with them. I suppose and would hope it carries over into the TC.

flippy
06-14-2012, 07:20 AM
Agree and disagree. A lot of college classes are huge lectures - if that's what he was ignoring to learn the playbook then I don't care at all. I skipped a ton of classes and did plenty of not-paying-attention in college because I was paying to be there and I can do what I want as long as I don't interrupt the class. Adams wasn't really paying to be there most likely though (scholarships) so he probably should have paid attention out of respect to the school and people paying his way.

And seriously...when you have a reputation like his...you don't talk about 'checking out', even if the reason is that you were too excited about the next step in your life. I completely understand as a student the whole feeling of being over a class and not caring any more, but you don't tell the media that you checked out.

I can completely relate to Adams. You go to school to get a job. If you have a job before school is finished, you're checked out. College served it's purpose. Move on to the next thing.

Actually schools and colleges and education are one of the biggest scams going. Now we've got the internet and education is essentially free to anyone that wants it. You don't even have to leave your house to go to the library anymore. Higher education should be free as should K-12. Stop wasting so much money on stuff that doesn't matter.

The US needs to get its head out of its butt and innovate. Adams is clearly ahead of Decastro mentally. Adams is a renaissance man. Probably a little high too, but that's beside the point and doesn't fit my soap box support of Adams :)

hawaiiansteel
06-15-2012, 02:29 AM
Pouncey: Summer won’t be a breeze

By Scott Brown
Published: Thursday, June 14, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=1upZH NLLG8ylGIcBG3MHnM$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYs0ly0FB2c3T8T 1N3kQVWm9WCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Maurkice Pouncey had a message for Steelers rookies at the end of minicamp.

“Just train, man, just be ready because training camp goes fast,” the Steelers’ All-Pro center said Thursday. “You don’t know how quick it goes.”

The time between now and the start of training camp also may seem like it moves at warp speed.

The players who finished offseason practices yesterday have a little less than six weeks before they report to St. Vincent College in Latrobe. While players quickly scattered yesterday after an abbreviated practice at the Steelers’ South Side headquarters, they’ll hardly enjoy a long break even though they are off until July 25.

Many of players train even harder before the start of camp.

“The month of July, for me, is really four months of getting training camp ready,” said defensive end Brett Keisel, who is entering his 11th NFL season. “That’s the time to get myself cranked up, start working out twice a day for some of our two-a-days (practices).”

LaMarr Woodley said he will take a long weekend and then start training in Michigan with teammates Larry Foote and Ryan Mundy.

“I’ll be right back at it on Monday,” the outside linebacker said.

• The Steelers have until the end of today to reduce by more than $2 million a one-year contract offer to Pro Bowl receiver Mike Wallace. Wallace skipped every offseason practice and has yet to sign a one-year, $2.7 million contract the Steelers offered him as a restricted free agent. The Steelers are unlikely to exercise the option that allows them to trim the offer to $577,500, as they hope to sign Wallace to a long-term deal. Wallace has averaged more than 1,000 yards receiving in his first three seasons, and he caught 72 passes for 1,193 yards and eight touchdowns last season.

• The Steelers hadn’t practiced for more than 15 minutes yesterday before coach Mike Tomlin ended the final session of the offseason and dismissed the team for the summer. The highlight was a throwing competition between quarterbacks Byron Leftwich and Troy Smith. Leftwich launched a pass 71 yards, beating out Smith, whose throw came in at 68 yards. “Troy has a cannon,” Leftwich said, “but I have a bigger one.” Smith had beaten outside linebacker Lawrence Timmons in a similar competition a couple weeks ago, and Tomlin matched the former Heisman Trophy winner against Leftwich yesterday. “Mike Tomlin Don Kinged-it,” Leftwich said. “He signed me up for the fight, and I didn’t know I was up for the fight.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1991983-85/steelers-leftwich-camp-start-training-wallace-yards-yesterday-mike-offseason

hawaiiansteel
06-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Kovacevic: Of Big Ben, big men, scatbacks

By Dejan Kovacevic
Published: Friday, June 15, 2012,

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=MDPnO xcaCCmHg2mLk5Wri8$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYt$l5X_zoeedA7 xRMlv9Cl7WCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Mini-thoughts, mini-observations of the Steelers' minicamp that concluded Thursday on the South Side ...

• For all the buzz about Big Ben's pending mini-Roethlisberger and the resultant change in his life, the best change I noticed over the three weeks of OTAs and minicamp was this: He pouted less with each passing day about Todd Haley's playbook.

Roethlisberger conceded Wednesday he initially was troubled by having to switch after eight years in the NFL, and his comment was telling: "That was it early on."

See the past tense?

Here's hoping he keeps it that way.

• Actual visible, audible signs of friction between Roethlisberger and Haley these past three weeks: Zero.

• The playbook won't take center stage until preseason, but the best early way to describe it is that it will be all things to all people. Expect Haley to show opponents a lot of different looks, formations, even personnel sets.

And expect that no one will love this more than Heath Miller. Haley loves to soften up the middle, and few in football do that better than No. 83.

"The more we spread the ball around and get everyone involved, the more difficult, in my mind, we would be to defend," Miller said. "I don't sit around and crave catching 100 balls. I just want to win."

That doesn't need to be mutually exclusive.

• Anyone placing Emmanuel Sanders ahead of Jerricho Cotchery on the wide receiver depth chart should do so in pencil.

• James Harrison opened OTAs declaring himself healthy, then stayed off the field for most of the past three weeks. The new issue was fluid on the knee, which doesn't sound serious. But the old issue, the wonky back, still hasn't been silenced.

You OK with Jason Worilds replacing him?

Me neither.

• Favorite guy to watch - and there wasn't a close second - was fifth-round scatback Chris Rainey. He's barely big enough to ride the Thunderbolt - 5-foot-9 - but blazes out of the Steelers' backfield like no one since Willie Parker.

Haley will find a way to use this weapon.

• Some of those plays could be screens, even mid-range passes. Rainey made a ridiculous one-handed grab Tuesday that looked like it might tear his shoulder from its socket.

Sticky gloves?

"Naw, man," he explained, with a grin. "Soft hands."

• Non-issue of the month: Mike Wallace.

What was he going to do, accept a $2.72 million tender while negotiating a long-term contract that could quadruple that?

If he blows off St. Vincent, that's meaningful.

• Feel free to share any doubts about Isaac Redman as a feature back with Redman himself. It couldn't possibly be anything an undrafted free agent out of Bowie State hasn't heard.

"Bring it on," Redman told me on a shared bench the other day. "I believe in myself. This is my time."

• You do realize that Jonathan Dwyer is Redman's backup, right?

He's 22 and has 25 career carries over two seasons.

Just checking.

• It's crazy that rookie left tackle Mike Adams is listed at 6-foot-7, 323 pounds but still looks like he needs to add bulk. Kid's built like a tight end.

• Nice to see good guy Chris Hoke hanging around even after retirement, and better yet to see him at a svelte 247 pounds. His playing weight, just a few months ago: 305.

Never underestimate a nose tackle's dietary ways.

• One name you've probably never heard but will soon: Terry Carter, undrafted corner out of Louisiana Tech, had three seriously athletic picks Wednesday.

Not like there isn't a need for some of that.

• Don't worry about the lost leadership with James Farrior's retirement. The real leader all along has been Mike Tomlin, and that isn't about to change.

When a hard rain chased the Steelers off the field Tuesday, only 15 minutes remained in that final session, anyway.

No big deal, right?

To Tomlin it was: He ordered everyone to change to indoor shoes, then sent them across the parking lot to the bubble to complete the session.

For 15 minutes.

• Next time you'll see the football club will be at maxicamp. Only 40 days until Latrobe.

http://triblive.com/sports/1991975-74/haley-redman-steelers-issue-mike-mini-past-roethlisberger-weeks-minicamp

RuthlessBurgher
06-16-2012, 10:42 AM
What is Pouncey wearing on his legs? It looks like the pants that my wife wears to the gym.

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=MDPnO xcaCCmHg2mLk5Wri8$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYt$l5X_zoeedA7 xRMlv9Cl7WCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Jooser
06-16-2012, 10:54 AM
I dare you to say that to his face, Ruthless! LOL :D

flippy
06-16-2012, 11:47 AM
What is Pouncey wearing on his legs? It looks like the pants that my wife wears to the gym.

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or does Pouncey barely look bigger than Ben?

RuthlessBurgher
06-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Are my eyes playing tricks on me or does Pouncey barely look bigger than Ben?

I also noted how small Pouncey looks in the "Pouncey, Rainey on same team again" thread. In a picture on that thread, it looks like Clark Haggans came back to reclaim his old #53.

http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/37713-Pouncey-Rainey-on-same-team-again

hawaiiansteel
06-16-2012, 02:12 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers Set Sights on Training Camp After Completing an Injury Free Mini-Camp

June 14th, 2012
By Mark Mihalko

Today, the Pittsburgh Steelers completed their final session of the 2012 mandatory mini-camp. In fact, the team ended their practice early as Head Coach Mike Tomlin decided to give his team a breather and laughs, featuring the much anticipated completion of the throwing competition, which was won by quarterback Byron Leftwich (over Troy Smith) with a toss of 71-yards.

Sure, it was a bit disappointing that there was no Mike Wallace or a hint at a resolution in his contract dispute. However, the biggest news to break at the end of mini-camp is the fact that the Steelers ended this three-day session without serious injury. Of course, there were some minor injuries that popped up, but the team appears to be heading into their last break before training camp ready to go work in Latrobe at the end of July.

While this may not seem like exciting news, it should be viewed as such. One look around the league shows that serious injuries can and will pop up during these sessions, and they can affect the team for the entire season. Look at guard Willie Colon, who suffered an offseason Achilles tear two-years ago and missed the entire 2010 campaign, forcing the Steelers to scramble to find a starting caliber offensive lineman late in the offseason. That does not appear to be the case at this point this season.

Couple that news with some of the positives that came out regarding some previously injured players, and this was a win-win set of practices for the Steelers; especially seeing recovering players such as nose tackle Casey Hampton working hard at rehab to be ready for the start of the season.

With mini-camp over, the three biggest stories about the Steelers will all be in regards to contracts and it will be interesting to see how and when they play out. The one that is likely to be resolved first in the rookie contract for first round selection David DeCastro, which should be accomplished in the near future once some of the surrounding players sign. The next two will be more news worthy as they regard Head Coach Mike Tomlin and Wallace, and we imagine that a Tomlin extension is more likely than one for Wallace (although anything is possible).

Now that mini-camp is over, the Steelers are off until they report to training camp at St. Vincent in Latrobe on July 25, 2012.

http://www.steelers101.com/2012/06/14/pittsburgh-steelers-set-sights-on-training-camp-after-completing-an-injury-free-mini-camp/