PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Enjoy the Steelers Any More?

flippy
06-04-2012, 07:36 AM
Is it even possible to enjoy a Steelers game like we did when we were kids?

It's weird how we become addicted. Have opinions on everything. Start to become more knowledgeable that coaches and players.

Does the obsession steal our joy?

We get 1 SuperBowl and nothing less will suffice. We get 6 and our expectations go through the roof.

We become antagonized by what we once loved. How can we protect that innocence.

I can't help but think of that movie Big Fan and think some of us need to get beat up by our favorite player to bring us back to reality.

Who's ready for #7?

Jooser
06-04-2012, 07:45 AM
Is it even possible to enjoy a Steelers game like we did when we were kids?

It's weird how we become addicted. Have opinions on everything. Start to become more knowledgeable that coaches and players.

Does the obsession steal our joy?

We get 1 SuperBowl and nothing less will suffice. We get 6 and our expectations go through the roof.

We become antagonized by what we once loved. How can we protect that innocence.

I can't help but think of that movie Big Fan and think some of us need to get beat up by our favorite player to bring us back to reality.

Who's ready for #7?

All I know is that I enjoyed the game better when we had a Super Bowl or Bust thread stickied on here. ;)

Oviedo
06-04-2012, 07:58 AM
The obsession doesn't steal the joy but it does at time feed upon itself. There are so many knowledgeable posters here that I really enjoy participating. I think the key to keeping some of the joy is not taking yourself or your opinions serious. They really don't matter because the Steelers aren't reading and don't care.

Mister Pittsburgh
06-04-2012, 08:11 AM
I unplug myself from Steelers football or giving it much thought until training camp. I enjoyed creating a mock draft and loosely follow, but don't get worked up about anything. I think the media ruins it. They write articles on what Steelers have regular bowel movements and basically there is just too much coverage. I wish I didn't hear a thing about them until training camp.

Eich
06-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Interesting thread Flippy.

I definitely still enjoy the Steelers. But I will say that the longer I've been a fan, the more devastating the losses become. When this team loses, it's as though I've personally lost. As a fan, I think the losses can be more difficult to deal with than if we were part of the team. A fan has no say in what goes on during a game. We just have to sit there and take whatever is happening. Thankfully with the Steelers, we win more than we lose.

It's amazing how this sport can be so addictive.

papillon
06-04-2012, 08:30 AM
For me the enjoyment certainly isn't as great as it was when I was I kid for many reasons.

1) I have a wife and children whose lives come first regardless of whether the Steelers are playing a meaningless pre-season game or the Super Bowl (I wouldn't miss a game, concert, Scouting event of theirs to watch a Steeler game. If I miss their event I don't geta second chance to see them do the things that they enjoy.)
2) The innocence of my youth has long evaporated and I see the game as the business that it is and not the "game" it was when I didn't know any better
3) The game has changed drastically and IMO not for the better

Even still, I love me some Steeler football and use it as the entertainment outlet that it is.

Pappy

Slapstick
06-04-2012, 08:52 AM
I try to follow Mike Tomlin's advice and try not to ride the emotional roller coaster...

I love to watch the Steelers. I love to pay attention in the offseason, the draft, OTAs, etc....

I love to watch recorded games, replaying certain plays over...

But, while I enjoy it, I try very hard to look upon it as just that: a diversion...

When I was a kid, I really threw myself in...now, I have a family of my own and I don't want to be the half-drunk guy who screams at the television...I grew up with that guy and I didn't like him on Sundays...he was a Browns fan and I think that's part of the reason that I never thought of abandoning the Steelers during the 80s...

I want my children to be able to enjoy the team...I want my children to be lifelong Steeler fans also...

Even when they lose, I enjoy the ride...

Oviedo
06-04-2012, 09:28 AM
For me the enjoyment certainly isn't as great as it was when I was I kid for many reasons.

1) I have a wife and children whose lives come first regardless of whether the Steelers are playing a meaningless pre-season game or the Super Bowl (I wouldn't miss a game, concert, Scouting event of theirs to watch a Steeler game. If I miss their event I don't geta second chance to see them do the things that they enjoy.)
2) The innocence of my youth has long evaporated and I see the game as the business that it is and not the "game" it was when I didn't know any better
3) The game has changed drastically and IMO not for the better

Even still, I love me some Steeler football and use it as the entertainment outlet that it is.

Pappy

Thank the Lord for DVRs because I have gladly missed many games to watch my kids play soccer.

It is a diversion. Enjoy the fan part of it but if they win or lose it effects me for about 5 minutes.

DukieBoy
06-04-2012, 09:39 AM
The game has changed some, in some ways for better (ever since the 1st Steeler Superbowl), in some ways for worse (it's such a year-round big business now), but nothing has changed enough that I can no longer greatly enjoy it. The thrill is (not) gone, and so much else about living a diversified life (family, friends, work, faith, music, art) is fascinating and inspiring. The Steelers are still a great diversion.

'Mad' is a term we use to describe a man who is obsessed with one idea and nothing else.

Ugo Bett

RuthlessBurgher
06-04-2012, 10:15 AM

Do I get to drive to Baltimore and pelt a Ravens fan with paintballs? :p

I'm not the guy who screams at the TV anymore (in the midst of a big play, I might jump up and start yelling something like, "Go, Go, Go!!!" out of excitement, but I'm not going to curse out my team for a bad play or anything).

I do scream my face off when I go to the games, though, because crowd volume can impact the game (in the past, when I used to yell at the TV sometimes, my wife would be sure to remind me that "they can't hear you through the TV"...well, they can hear me when I am in the stands live, so I scream with reckless abandon, and usually don't have much of a voice left on Monday and Tuesday or so).

I was in Detroit for SBXL and in Tampa for SBXLIII (and screamed like a madman throughout), but was home for SBXLIV, and my family was actually surprised at how calm I was when we lost to the Packers. I may not have acted the same way in my teens or twenties, but we grow, I suppose. I'm still plenty passionate, but we just tend to show our passion differently as we age, I guess.

I don't plan to ever be one of these entitled season ticket holders who sit on their hands at games, though. I plan to go nuts for live games in perpetuity (except for preseason games...that's where I usually bring out my kids to visit the Pittsburgh Zoo or the Carnegie Science Center and then go to a nice, calm game that doesn't count toward anything of significance).

Oviedo
06-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Do I get to drive to Baltimore and pelt a Ravens fan with paintballs? :p

I'm not the guy who screams at the TV anymore (in the midst of a big play, I might jump up and start yelling something like, "Go, Go, Go!!!" out of excitement, but I'm not going to curse out my team for a bad play or anything).

I do scream my face off when I go to the games, though, because crowd volume can impact the game (in the past, when I used to yell at the TV sometimes, my wife would be sure to remind me that "they can't hear you through the TV"...well, they can hear me when I am in the stands live, so I scream with reckless abandon, and usually don't have much of a voice left on Monday and Tuesday or so).

I was in Detroit for SBXL and in Tampa for SBXLIII (and screamed like a madman throughout), but was home for SBXLIV, and my family was actually surprised at how calm I was when we lost to the Packers. I may not have acted the same way in my teens or twenties, but we grow, I suppose. I'm still plenty passionate, but we just tend to show our passion differently as we age, I guess.

I don't plan to ever be one of these entitled season ticket holders who sit on their hands at games, though. I plan to go nuts for live games in perpetuity (except for preseason games...that's where I usually bring out my kids to visit the Pittsburgh Zoo or the Carnegie Science Center and then go to a nice, calm game that doesn't count toward anything of significance).

I've been to several live games here in Florida and more and more as I get older I prefer the big screen TV because at the live games I found myself constantly watching the replays on the bigscreen.

I have also found the excessive drunken crowd that are at many games to be a terrible place to take the family, but they paid for a ticket too so I'll watch from home. Hopefully will make it to one Super Bowl in my life.

feltdizz
06-04-2012, 10:44 AM
I know one guy who definitely doesn't enjoy Steeler football. LOL

Oviedo
06-04-2012, 10:48 AM
I know one guy who definitely doesn't enjoy Steeler football. LOL

5 letters?

Slapstick
06-04-2012, 11:28 AM
5 letters?

Holmg....no...

Harba...no...

Whise...no...

Hang on, I can get this...

steelblood
06-04-2012, 11:28 AM
For me personally, the 6 lombardis make it easier to relax when watching. When we lost to the Packers 2 years ago, both of my sons asked me why I wasn't more upset. I said, it was a great season, and I've seen them win the big game 4 times. I feel fortunate to watch a good team, and I enjoy discussing the team. Football is a huge part of my life. It is about the only thing my Dad and I can talk about, I coach all three of my kids in flag football in the Fall and the Spring, I love watching college football, and I get excited like a kid before Christmas for every Steeler game and the draft. I even find some joy in the 8-8 seasons. I like watching young talent develop and thinking about how the team could turn the corner.

RuthlessBurgher
06-04-2012, 12:41 PM
I have also found the excessive drunken crowd that are at many games to be a terrible place to take the family.

That's why I have only taken my daughter (who is 7) to tame preseason games so far. I took my son (who will be turning 11 this month) to his first regular season game last year...before that, only tame preseason for him as well.

I don't drink at all. My father does, but he doesn't drink at Steeler games. Why take out a second mortgage on your house to purchase alcoholic beverages at professional sports contests? Besides, we have such a such a long drive in store for us after the game, that he would prefer to have a 0.0 blood alcohol content for that journey (he prefers to drive, unless he is coming off the night shift the night before we leave for a game).

Folks who have a beer or two are one thing, but I'll never understand folks who spend so much for tickets, gas, beer, etc. and then get so slobbering, fall-down drunk that there is no way that remember anything at all about that particular game experience. It baffles me. What is the point of that?

Eich
06-04-2012, 12:44 PM
That's why I have only taken my daughter (who is 7) to tame preseason games so far. I took my son (who will be turning 11 this month) to his first regular season game last year...before that, only tame preseason for him as well.

I don't drink at all. My father does, but he doesn't drink at Steeler games. Why take out a second mortgage on your house to purchase alcoholic beverages at professional sports contests? Besides, we have such a such a long drive in store for us after the game, that he would prefer to have a 0.0 blood alcohol content for that journey (he prefers to drive, unless he is coming off the night shift the night before we leave for a game).

Folks who have a beer or two are one thing, but I'll never understand folks who spend so much for tickets, gas, beer, etc. and then get so slobbering, fall-down drunk that there is no way that remember anything at all about that particular game experience. It baffles me. What is the point of that?

Generally, alcoholism.

flippy
06-04-2012, 12:52 PM

I generally avoid major sporting events because of all the drunks and obnoxious fans. That's become the norm unfortunately. But then again, maybe these fans feel bad about the violence and the only way they can enjoy the violence is to mask it?

If the NFL really wanted to clean up it's image, it would stop serving alcohol and make fans take a breathalyzer before they enter the stadium.

DukieBoy
06-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Live a "balanced" life, then you'll enjoy Steelers football always.

RuthlessBurgher
06-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Live a "balanced" life, then you'll enjoy Steelers football always.

Does a "balanced" life mean that we should live life like it's 1975? :p

DukieBoy
06-04-2012, 01:21 PM
Does a "balanced" life mean that we should live life like it's 1975? :p

​I'm thinking 1960. But 75 works OK.

Oviedo
06-04-2012, 01:27 PM
I generally avoid major sporting events because of all the drunks and obnoxious fans. That's become the norm unfortunately. But then again, maybe these fans feel bad about the violence and the only way they can enjoy the violence is to mask it?

If the NFL really wanted to clean up it's image, it would stop serving alcohol and make fans take a breathalyzer before they enter the stadium.

I've never had a problem at a hockey game or basket ball game. Minimal issues at baseball. However, football games have all but become a waste to attend unless you want a drunken fool screaming and cursing next to you and spilling beer all over the place.

Stadium staff need to be more aggressive rooting out that element. Until then La-Z-Boy and 55" HD TV will be the route to go.

DukieBoy
06-04-2012, 01:36 PM
I've never had a problem at a hockey game or basket ball game. Minimal issues at baseball. However, football games have all but become a waste to attend unless you want a drunken fool screaming and cursing next to you and spilling beer all over the place.

Stadium staff need to be more aggressive rooting out that element. Until then La-Z-Boy and 55" HD TV will be the route to go.

Back in the '80s, attended a Pens v Rangers game on a rare Saturday afternoon "family" kind of day. Busloads of Rangers fans came, sat drunk and obnoxious not far behind us. After the 1st period I walked out into the corridor on my right was a big concession stand and on my left this huge fight spilled out of the women's restroom. It was nasty. It was like Blazing Saddles chaos. Must have been about 30 girls fighting, many with Rangers jerseys on. Pens won. My kids survived.