PDA

View Full Version : Is Steeler Nation Too Hard On Its Quarterbacks?

hawaiiansteel
06-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Is Steeler Nation Too Hard On Quarterbacks?

Jun 1st, 2012 by KIMMY

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2012/06/Kordell-Stewart-retires-as-a-Steeler-I41J1T35-x-large-300x220.jpg?e98d57

As all the hoopla surrounding the retirement of Kordell Stewart dies down this week Iíve started to think about Steeler Nation and their history, and present, when it comes to how they deal with their quarterback. We are rightfully brutal on opposing quarterbacks, Joe Flacco looks like Bert from Seasame Street, Tom Brady may have girl parts, and Carrot top aka Andy Dalton has just begun to learn how much Steeler Nation loves to harass opposing teamsí quarterbacks. But how do we do with our own? Not very good if you ask me. Kordell spoke of receiving death threats from fans during his poor performing seasons, Tommy Maddox got garbage thrown on his yard and his kids were harassed in school, and Ben canít open his mouth without constant criticism of anything and everything he says. So why are we so harsh on our own quarterbacks? Possibly itís the high standard that has been set in this town, whether it is the legendary quarterbacks that have come from Western Pennsylvania or the standard of 4 Super Bowls won by Bradshaw, Steeler Nation has a constant love-hate relationship with its quarterbacks.

First off, for those who have taken their fandom to the level of harassing children or sending death threats you might as well go ahead and check yourself into the nearest mental health facility because you have issues that donít have anything to do with football scores. Iím as passionate as the next fan and Iíll believe till the day I die that Neil OíDonnell was paid off by Jerry Jones to throw those two interceptions to Larry Brown in Super Bowl XXX but thatís just part of my charm. What possesses people to threaten harm to athletes or other celebrities when things donít go their way will never be something I can wrap my head around. But itís in our nature, especially as members of Steeler Nation, to be critical of our players when we invest so much of our time and energy into the team. Weíve earned the right to scream ďAw you bum!Ē at the TV when an interception is thrown, itís behavior thatís passed on from generation to generation.

Kordell Stewart wasnít the first Steelers quarterback to have a love-hate relationship with the fans. Iíll never forget how my grandmother always called Terry Bradshaw an ďa-holeĒ when she saw him on camera. Even 4-time Super Bowl Champion Terry Bradshaw wasnít immune to the sometimes bi-polar emotions of Steeler fans. Bradshaw was largely criticized for not returning to city after leaving the Steelers. When you think about it, Franco Harris will show up for a gas station opening around town but no one could get ever Bradshaw to show up in Pittsburgh for any event or occasion up until recently. Kordellís criticism was mostly due to his lackluster performances in his two starts in the AFC Championship game. Throwing 3 interceptions in each AFC Championship will definitely not land you on the good side of Steeler Nation.

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2012/06/6270254.jpg?e98d57

Ben hasnít been a stranger to criticism from Steeler Nation in the least bit. Some of it has been well deserved as there has been a few years where Ben has made it very difficult to be a fan what with his ďincidentsĒ in the offseason and whatnot. Lately the microscope has been on Ben since he lost his BFF and favorite play-caller, Bruce Arians. Anything Ben says about the departure of BA and the arrival of Todd Haley, along with what ďdirectionĒ this offense might be going in is closely criticized and largely blown out of proportion. Recently Ben was quoted as to saying that the offense was going to run the ball more this season and the fans are ďgetting their wishĒ. If youíre not a fan of endless debate on whether or not Ben is a whiner or a big baby still pouting over the loss of BA, you might want to stay off of Twitter when you see that heís made any kind of comment. In my opinion, the drama surrounding Benís opinion/first impression/overall feelings towards Todd Haley has been largely manufactured and overstated by the local media in order to keep churning out stories on the Steelers during the offseason. Iím not saying Ben is perfect and everything he says is golden, but it seems to me that no other player aside from him is as critiqued on his comments. Must be because heís the quarterback.

When youíre the quarterback of a Six Time Super Bowl Championship organization, youíre going to come across some harsh critics along with adoring fans, it just comes with the territory. Whether you contributed to those rings or contributed to missed opportunities for more rings might determine the severity of the disparagement. Of course Kordell didnít do anything to deserve death threats, Tommy Maddox didnít deserve garbage on his lawn, and Bradshaw didnít deserve the verbal abuse he unknowingly received from my grandmother on a regular basis. But these are professional athletes in the most passionate football town in the world. Itís heartwarming that after all the death threats and negative attention, Kordell still thought so highly of the Steelers and the city of Pittsburgh that he would go through the ridiculous publicity of retiring from a team he hasnít taken a snap for in almost a decade. Must mean that no matter how rocky the love-hate relationship Steeler Nation has with our quarterback, the love always outweighs the hate.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/06/01/is-steeler-nation-too-hard-on-quarterbacks/

flippy
06-01-2012, 10:28 PM
A lot of the QBs deserved the criticism. The one guy I always thought got a raw deal from the fans was Tommy Maddox. He came from nowhere and was phenomenal until he got injured. After his neck injury, he was never the same.

He seemed genuinely nice. Little ego. Hard worker. Smart. Good leader. His playoff performance against Cleveland was one of my all time favorite performances outside of our SuperBowl wins.

He gave it his all after the neck injury but was never the same. It seems a little unfair to hold a major injury like that against a guy.

Sugar
06-01-2012, 10:33 PM
I know many fans of other NFL teams that tell me that I am one of the few Steelers fans they can stand to be around. It's not just about QB's (ours or opposing). When you have as large a fanbase and successful of a team as the Steelers, you are bound to get some jackwagons in the mix.

While I was too young to remember, I've read that some fans were downright evil to TB. Some have been really bad toward Ben as well. I don't know that the majority of the fanbase is this dull though- there are just a lot of loud ones out there.

Crash
06-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Yep. They are.

Like Bradshaw they'll only appreciate Ben once he's gone and if they struggle.

Terry Bradshaw was loved MORE, after they couldn't win without him.

Eich
06-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Poor $100M Ben. How can he go on living with all this unfair criticism.

Crash
06-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Poor $100M Ben. How can he go on living with all this unfair criticism.

I'm sure he's just fine. He can't help it if the majority of Steeler Nation is clueless.

Bradshaw avoided that city for 20 years for the same reason.

Noll drove Terry nuts to the point that he wanted traded the same year they won their first Super Bowl.

NJ-STEELER
06-02-2012, 02:05 AM
i cant imagine what would be said if it was Ben who spent the off week leading up to the SB in the opponent's city with his model girlfriend (brady) and then went to lose the SB being a double digit favorite and managing 14 points after setting a record for scoring in the regular season. yet, i never see a bad thing written about tom tom from the boston/national media or their fans

grotonsteel
06-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Yes.

I was not born in TB era but what i have read/heard/listened was Steelers fans gave hard time to TB.

I think there are quite a few in Steeler Nation who wants Ben to fail miserably. I want to question if they are true Steelers fans in first place.

For few Steelers fan their fave past time is to criticize the offense and their QB. A good example is Ben's statement are taken way out of context and the haters will post comments to justify their hate agenda.

feltdizz
06-02-2012, 01:40 PM
i cant imagine what would be said if it was Ben who spent the off week leading up to the SB in the opponent's city with his model girlfriend (brady) and then went to lose the SB being a double digit favorite and managing 14 points after setting a record for scoring in the regular season. yet, i never see a bad thing written about tom tom from the boston/national media or their fans

..and it's the primary reason most Patriot fans are annoying IMO.

I like objective fans who aren't afraid to criticize the QB like the rest of the players.

feltdizz
06-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Yes.

I was not born in TB era but what i have read/heard/listened was Steelers fans gave hard time to TB.

I think there are quite a few in Steeler Nation who wants Ben to fail miserably. I want to question if they are true Steelers fans in first place.

For few Steelers fan their fave past time is to criticize the offense and their QB. A good example is Ben's statement are taken way out of context and the haters will post comments to justify their hate agenda.

No one wants Ben to fail miserably but fans of the Steelers come in all shapes and sizes. Some blame the QB, some blame the D, some blame the HC, some blame the WR because he's divorced.

Steeler fans past time is complaining about whatever they think is stopping the team from a SB. It could be the OL, holding onto the ball, the RB, age, etc...

Captain Lemming
06-03-2012, 02:34 AM
Yes.

I was around and TB was easily the worse QB in the league his first two years. He was not very good for a couple more seasons. Only AFTER the first SB did he begin to come into his own.

Kids only see the highlights but in the early 70s the dude was terrible and made a ton of bonehead throws.

TB had a rocket arm and was big time clutch when it counted. He was very good in the late seventies. But he looked like he was not on the path to Canton or even close to it

I dont like it when anyone gets booed but TB was really bad when the fans booed him.

Still not cool to boo though and we are hard on QBs.

I think there are VERY few in Steeler Nation who wants Ben to fail miserably.

Fixed that for ya.

Sugar
06-03-2012, 07:40 AM
Steeler fans past time is complaining about whatever they think is stopping the team from a SB. It could be the OL, holding onto the ball, the RB, age, etc...

Its not just about what stops them from the SB. I had fellow Steelers fans complaining about all kinds of things after we beat Seattle in the SB. I remember saying "chill, we just won the freaking SUPER BOWL!!"

ikestops85
06-04-2012, 03:33 PM
I was around and TB was easily the worse QB in the league his first two years. He was not very good for a couple more seasons. Only AFTER the first SB did he begin to come into his own.

Kids only see the highlights but in the early 70s the dude was terrible and made a ton of bonehead throws.

TB had a rocket arm and was big time clutch when it counted. He was very good in the late seventies. But he looked like he was not on the path to Canton or even close to it

I dont like it when anyone gets booed but TB was really bad when the fans booed him.

Still not cool to boo though and we are hard on QBs.

Fixed that for ya.

You are so correct ... Bradshaw was horrible when he first broke into the league. He later became great. The ironic part is if Bradshaw were drafted today he would be out of the league within 3 or 4 years. We don't give QBs a chance to develop anymore.

RuthlessBurgher
06-04-2012, 03:53 PM
You are so correct ... Bradshaw was horrible when he first broke into the league. He later became great. The ironic part is if Bradshaw were drafted today he would be out of the league within 3 or 4 years. We don't give QBs a chance to develop anymore.

Here are the stat lines of two QB's drafted #1 overall in their first 3 seasons. One of them was out of the league after 3 seasons, with no other teams even giving him a shot again. The other went on to win 4 Super Bowls and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Which stat line belongs to the first 3 seasons of Terry Bradshaw, and which stat lines belongs to the only 3 seasons of JaMarcus Russell?

433 completions, 899 attempts, 48.2 completion percentage, 4856 yards, 5.4 yards per attempt, 31 touchdowns, 58 interceptions.

354 completions, 680 attempts, 52.1 completion percentage, 4083 yards, 6.0 yards per attempt, 18 touchdowns, 23 interceptions.

flippy
06-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Here are the stat lines of two QB's drafted #1 overall in their first 3 seasons. One of them was out of the league after 3 seasons, with no other teams even giving him a shot again. The other went on to win 4 Super Bowls and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Which stat line belongs to the first 3 seasons of Terry Bradshaw, and which stat lines belongs to the only 3 seasons of JaMarcus Russell?

433 completions, 899 attempts, 48.2 completion percentage, 4856 yards, 5.4 yards per attempt, 31 touchdowns, 58 interceptions.

354 completions, 680 attempts, 52.1 completion percentage, 4083 yards, 6.0 yards per attempt, 18 touchdowns, 23 interceptions.

Are you suggesting the best of J Russell is in front of him? Maybe we should bring him in to replace Byron.