PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward to join NBC Sports and Sunday Night Football broadcast team

RuthlessBurgher
05-31-2012, 04:09 PM
Hines Ward to join NBC Sports and Sunday Night Football broadcast team
May 31, 2012 4:06 pm

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It did not take long for Hines Ward to find his way back to the National Football League. NBC Sports announced this afternoon it has hired Ward to work on it's highly rated Football Night in America on Sundays during the season among other projects.

Ward retired from football shortly after the Steelers released him this year and said at the time he was not sure what he would do, but that pursuing a job in the media likely would be one of them. He was among the most popular Steelers during his 14-year career and left as the most productive wide receiver in their history.

His hiring for the NBC football show comes six years after his friend and former teammate, Jerome Bettis, joined Football Night in America shortly after he retired. NBC did not renew Bettis' contract after three years on the show.

Ward, though, won't stick with one show. According to an NBC release, the multi-year agreement with Ward will have him contribute to other shows as well as being a studio analyst for college football. He will appear regularly on NBC SportsTalk with Mike Florio and Sports Illustrated's Peter King, an NFL discussion show on NBC Sports Network.

Ward appeared on NBC's Super Bowl pregame show this year.

"We think Hines is a perfect match for television because he brings with him a unique combination of charisma and football experience, which he demonstrated on our Super Bowl pre-game show from Indianapolis," said Sam Flood, executive producer, NBC Sports and NBC Sports Network, in the news release."He's an opinionated personality who can draw upon his 14 years of experience, having excelled at the highest levels of the game. Just don't expect him to dance."

"I am really excited. It's not everyday that you get the chance to work for a powerhouse like the NBC Sports Group," said Ward in the release. "It is a big honor for me and I am looking forward to making the most of this great opportunity."

Ed Bouchette: ebouchette@post-gazette.com
First Published May 31, 2012 3:02 pm

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/hines-ward-to-join-nbc-sports-and-sunday-night-football-broadcast-team-638398/

Sugar
05-31-2012, 04:12 PM
Cool- this seems like a good gig for him.

Oviedo
05-31-2012, 04:28 PM
Good for him. I wonder if he will go and do his anti-Steelers act like Rod Woodson. I hope not.

Crash
05-31-2012, 04:29 PM
Are you kidding? He was anti-Steeler when he PLAYED here.

He'll try to be like Jerome was, controversial. It's his nature.

Sugar
05-31-2012, 05:03 PM
Good for him. I wonder if he will go and do his anti-Steelers act like Rod Woodson. I hope not.

Some guys feel the need to do that in order to not seem like a complete homer.

Djfan
05-31-2012, 06:05 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-hines-ward-20120531,0,6098357.story

By Chuck Schilken May 31, 2012, 2:32 p.m.

Hines Ward (http://www.latimes.com/topic/sports/football/hines-ward-PESPT007698.topic) didn't stay retired for long. And, not suprisingly, the former football great's new career is in television.
Ward, one of the all-time most popular players for the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.latimes.com/topic/sports/football/pittsburgh-steelers-ORSPT000055.topic) as well as a champion on ABC's (http://www.latimes.com/topic/economy-business-finance/media-industry/television-industry/abc-%28tv-network%29-ORCRP000009600.topic) "Dancing With the Stars," (http://www.latimes.com/topic/entertainment/television/dancing-with-the-stars-%28tv-program%29-ENTTV00000013.topic) is the newest analyst for NBC's "Football Night in America," the network announced Thursday.
In addition, he will serve as a studio analyst for college football and appear on "NBC SportsTalk" on NBC Sports Network.
"I am really excited. It's not everyday that you get the chance to work for a powerhouse like the NBC Sports Group," Ward said (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/hines-ward-to-join-nbc-sports-and-sunday-night-football-broadcast-team-638398/) in a press release. "It is a big honor for me and I am looking forward to making the most of this great opportunity."
He apparently had a successful tryout when he joined the studio during this year's Super Bowl (http://www.latimes.com/topic/sports/football/super-bowl-EVSPR000004.topic) pregame broadcast on NBC. Soon after, he retired from football after being released by the Steelers, his only team during a 14-year career that included two Super Bowl championships, three Super Bowl appearances, one Super Bowl MVP and four Pro Bowl (http://www.latimes.com/topic/sports/football/nfl-pro-bowl-EVSPR000032.topic) selections.
"We think Hines is a perfect match for television because he brings with him a unique combination of charisma and football experience, which he demonstrated on our Super Bowl pregame show from Indianapolis," said Sam Flood, executive producer for NBC Sports and NBC Sports Network. "He's an opinionated personality who can draw upon his 14 years of experience, having excelled at the highest levels of the game. Just don't expect him to dance."

Notleadpoisoned
05-31-2012, 06:41 PM
NBC's Football Night in America is kind of bush-league with its' presentation but good for Hines, maybe he'll improve the product.

Crash
05-31-2012, 06:46 PM
Get rid of Florio if they want to be taken seriously.

hawaiiansteel
05-31-2012, 06:56 PM
good for Hines, I'm looking forward to watching how he does in our first game against the Broncos.:tt2

Shoe
05-31-2012, 06:56 PM
Are you kidding? He was anti-Steeler when he PLAYED here.

He'll try to be like Jerome was, controversial. It's his nature.

You're kidding right?

RuthlessBurgher
05-31-2012, 06:58 PM
You're kidding right?

No way...haven't you heard? Hines Ward is DIVORCED!!! Can you imagine the outrage?!?! :lol:

hawaiiansteel
05-31-2012, 07:00 PM
No way...haven't you heard? Hines Ward is DIVORCED!!! Can you imagine the outrage?!?! :lol:

don't forget that Hines is also known to hang out with known drug dealers and men of general ill-repute...

Crash
05-31-2012, 07:01 PM
don't forget that Hines is also known to hang out with known drug dealers and men of general ill-repute...

Yep, and he has the nerve to claim he didn't put himself in risky situations off the field.

It's called being a hypocrite.

SteelBucks
05-31-2012, 07:01 PM
I kind of figured he would land a pregame gig on one of the networks.

feltdizz
05-31-2012, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE=Crash;511065]Are you kidding? He was anti-Steeler when he PLAYED here.

He'll try to be like Jerome was, controversial. It's his nature.[QUOTE]

Well you are an expert when it comes to controversy

Crash
05-31-2012, 07:33 PM
Well you are an expert when it comes to controversy

Thanks. :D

flippy
05-31-2012, 09:13 PM
What's the over/under on how many weeks it will take Hines to question Ben's toughness or leadership?

Crash
05-31-2012, 09:16 PM
What's the over/under on how many weeks it will take Hines to question Ben's toughness or leadership?

First night. He'll be just like Jerome was. It was all about Hines and how he was the leader and Ben was the mere underling.

Just like when he claims the YMC was having success because of his teaching them.

Ironic though, not one offensive player attended the retirement press conference that he had at the complex.

Leader my ass.

Va Steelr
05-31-2012, 09:23 PM
Hines will be a natural.He will do well at this gig.I don't understand why the hate for hines from well you know who.Hines rightfully so or not will go down as one of the toughest and most beloved steelers ever.Good Luck Hines !!!!

hawaiiansteel
05-31-2012, 09:32 PM
I don't understand why the hate for hines from well you know who.

Hines once criticized Ben for not playing one week after suffering a concussion even though it was the doctors who had told Ben not to play.

Ghost
05-31-2012, 09:59 PM
Get rid of Florio if they want to be taken seriously.

Totally agree. Not only is Floria a complete hack, he's a total piece of sh!t as a human being who has no issue with making things up or flat out lying. How NBC allows him on their show is insane.

MeetJoeGreene
05-31-2012, 10:16 PM
I have to be honest here, I like Hines and I always pull for former Steelers in the booth/studio - but I don't see him as being a good fit for this. I don't think he is overly articulate or creative. I hope that I am wrong.. but I just don't see it.

BradshawsHairdresser
06-01-2012, 01:13 AM
I have to be honest here, I like Hines and I always pull for former Steelers in the booth/studio - but I don't see him as being a good fit for this. I don't think he is overly articulate or creative. I hope that I am wrong.. but I just don't see it.
$$$$$
I get the "message too short" notice, so I'll put a couple more $$$'s in.

Djfan
06-01-2012, 01:30 AM
Mrs. Fan says that more girls will watch because Hines is on the TV. Mrs. Fan is an expert at good looking guys so I bet it happens like she says.

hawaiiansteel
06-01-2012, 01:33 AM
posted by Dale Lolley

May 31, 2012

© Hines Ward will be working on NBC this fall. I hope they give him some training before they set him free on the mic.

I did a story on Ward for the Steelers Game Day program a couple of years ago. I asked him two questions and finished the interview with 20 minutes of tape to go through.

Ward is famous among reporters for his talking. He would talk about anything and everything, often without cue.

I wish him luck.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Crash
06-01-2012, 01:37 AM
SOME media member MUST release the infamous "Hines on Hines" interview (as it was nicknamed) now that he's retired.

They don't need him anymore. So someone should do it.

As I was told, it's quite the segment.

hawaiiansteel
06-01-2012, 03:06 AM
Ward prepared to speak mind

By Mark Kaboly - Tribune-Review
Published: Thursday, May 31, 2012

For 14 years, Hines Ward used criticism to fuel his football career.

Now, the recently retired Steelers wide receiver is ready to dish out some negativity, and his former team isn’t going to be exempt.

Ward was hired Thursday as an analyst on NBC’s “Football Night in America” studio show and also will contribute to NBC Sports Network, where he will be a studio analyst during Notre Dame games and appear on the weekday “NBC Sports Talk” show with Mike Florio and Peter King.

But Ward’s main job will be analyzing the NFL on Sunday nights, starting with the Steelers at Denver in Week 1.

“It won’t be hard (to criticize),” Ward said. “One thing about playing football and doing interviews, I was always opinionated, and sometimes people didn’t like what I said. I am sure there are going to be games where somebody goes into the locker room and says to them that Hines didn’t pick you. I can’t pick (the Steelers) every week.”

Ward, who retired in March, was part of NBC’s Super Bowl coverage this past February. Ward also interviewed with CBS and ESPN in late April.

“We think Hines is a perfect match for television because he brings with him a unique combination of charisma and football experience …,” NBC Sports and NBC Sports Network executive producer Sam Flood said. “He’s an opinionated personality who can draw upon his 14 years of experience, having excelled at the highest levels of the game.”

Ward said he will be tough but fair with his analysis.

“If I see a player not playing particularly well and if I say he isn’t playing well, I am not bashing him,” Ward said. “I am doing my job. I hope guys aren’t going to get offended by what I say. I am not out to be malicious.”

Ward was drafted in the third round in 1998 out of Georgia. He spent 14 years with the Steelers and became the team’s all-time leader in receptions (1,000), receiving yards (12,083), receiving touchdowns (85) and 100-yard receiving games (29). Ward was named Super Bowl XL’s MVP.

Ward is the second former Steelers player NBC has hired as an analyst. Jerome Bettis, who retired in 2006, spent three years with NBC’s Sunday night studio broadcast team before not having his contract renewed.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1893585-85/ward-nbc-steelers-analyst-football-sports-team-former-games-hines

Steelerphile
06-01-2012, 04:55 AM
It was obvious that Hines would pursue a media career because he was the most often quoted and media friendly Steeler when he played. I think he likes being in front of a camera or a mic; so, I think he will do a pretty good job and have a lasting stay in a commentator role. Just like he dished out brutal hits and didn't apologize, I think he will be tougher than the average ex-jock and that should increase his profile. I was sort of hoping he would get involved in the local media, but he may one day.

RuthlessBurgher
06-01-2012, 10:18 AM
good for Hines, I'm looking forward to watching how he does in our first game against the Broncos.:tt2

I wonder if he will wear a piece of tape on his forehead with his last name written on it...:p

hawaiiansteel
06-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Ed: Retirement Already Looking Good on Ward

Friday, 01 June 2012
Written by Ed Bouchette

Good morning,

Welcome to June and a rainy Friday in Pittsburgh. Steelers practices ended for the week, which we’re going to finish with some stuff:

--- Hines Ward has to be doubly happy he decided to retire now and not pursue to drag out his wonderful football career by another year. Will he make it in television? I thought Jerome Bettis would, but after three years they did not renew his contract. Tiki Barber was supposed to be the next big thing and he bombed. Ward has the smile, the charm, the smarts and the experience to make it. He had the courage to talk about controversial topics, even those on his own team.

One area where Ward will work on is his tendency to actually talk too much. He took that free speech stuff to heart. There were many times I had to jump in to ask another question. That will come because it will have to in the precisely timed world of television.

I think in the long run he will make it. He won’t fail for lack of trying, that is for sure.

--- That, however, is that for another Dancing With The Stars on rival ABC for Ward. They have an all-star dance scheduled with past winners and with Ward joining NBC, a rival network won’t help promote him. In some small way, I would suppose Ward is delighted at that too because he now does not have to go through all the training for the show.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...g-good-on-ward (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116575-ed-retirement-already-looking-good-on-ward)

jj28west
06-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Is Rodney still on there? I thought Hines & Rodney use to try to decapitate one another out there? It is going to be weird to see that.