PDA

View Full Version : Heath Miller’s role likely to grow in Todd Haley’s offense

Jooser
05-31-2012, 12:17 PM
Heath Miller’s role likely to grow in Todd Haley’s offense Posted by Josh Alper on May 31, 2012, 10:01 AM EDT
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/heathmillernewenglandpatriotsvpittsburghe7n_zddhru cl.jpg?w=250 Getty Images
There’s been a lot of focus on the relationship between the new Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1181/ben-roethlisberger) this offseason.

While those two continue to build a working relationship with one another, the rest of the Steelers offensive players are figuring out their roles. Tight end Heath Miller (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3145/heath-miller) has to like what he sees on that front.

Miller hasn’t lacked for opportunities in his years with the team. His 337 career receptions are the fourth-most in the history of the franchise and he has 93 catches for 1,143 yards and four touchdowns over the last two seasons. Those numbers could look even better this season. Early reports out of Pittsburgh are that Haley plans to make Miller a big part of the offense, something that Miller confirmed to reporters (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/heath-millers-tale-gets-another-big-twist-638236/?p=0).

“I definitely see opportunities for that to happen,” Miller said, via Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “That’s not to say there weren’t opportunities in the last offense. We are going to be involved a lot.”

Tight ends weren’t a big part of Haley’s offenses in Arizona, but Tony Moeaki (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5841/tony-moeaki) did have 47 catches for the Chiefs when they won the division in 2010. Miller has had at least that many catches in four of the last five seasons and this year’s focus on protecting Roethlisberger while he throws high percentage passes could result in a lot of action for Miller.

Not a bad thing, most folks around here have hungered for more Heath in the passing game the past few years. He smoked NE* last year when BA actually utilized him as a passing threat instead of a blocker.

Crash
05-31-2012, 12:19 PM
Miller's production under Arians wasn't a problem.

Jooser
05-31-2012, 12:38 PM
His production was fine, when he was utilized. Saying that the player could be MORE productive means you simply use the productive player on a more consistent basis, not just every once in a while to break up a bit of the predictability of a very predictable offense. This is a good thing Crash, despite how you may decide to spin his past utilization under your Lord and Savior, Bruce Arians.

Crash
05-31-2012, 12:39 PM
You can't increase Miller's role, give Brown his touches, pay Wallace big money (if they sign him) AND force the run game down our throats.

Only one football. SOMEONE is going to be left out.

Eich
05-31-2012, 12:42 PM
His production was fine, when he was utilized. Saying that the player could be MORE productive means you simply use the productive player on a more consistent basis, not just every once in a while to break up a bit of the predictability of a very predictable offense. This is a good thing Crash, despite how you may decide to spin his past utilization under Bruce Arians, close friend of your Lord and Savior, Ben Roethlisberger.

Fixed that for you Jooser...

Eich
05-31-2012, 12:44 PM
You can't increase Miller's role, give Brown his touches, pay Wallace big money (if they sign him) AND force the run game down our throats.

But you CAN increase ANYONE's role, game to game, based on the weaknesses of the opponent. BA actually did this quite successfully last year against the Cheaters. Hope that Haley can figure out how to do it more consistently against the rest of the league.

Slapstick
05-31-2012, 12:46 PM

I'd like to see Ben and Haley try, though...

Jooser
05-31-2012, 12:54 PM
But you CAN increase ANYONE's role, game to game, based on the weaknesses of the opponent. BA actually did this quite successfully last year against the Cheaters. Hope that Haley can figure out how to do it more consistently against the rest of the league.

Ding Ding! My point exactly.

Crash
05-31-2012, 12:55 PM
I'd like to see Ben and Haley try, though...

Can't. They are going to run the ball more if you believe four different players.

flippy
05-31-2012, 12:56 PM
If the OLine improves, you take away Hines, the running game pulls more defenders in the box, etc. it's only natural that Heath's role should grow.

steelnavy
05-31-2012, 12:56 PM

Seriously, I am starting to believe the inferences that you are a troll. At a minimum you sound like a miserable, depressed individual. Why do you even follow the Steelers if you hate everything that they do? Is there maybe another football team that you can actually agree with in ANY decisions that they make?

According to you, the number one defense absolutely SUCKS, the number 21 offense was perfect, since Ben is a great quarterback, to call any other play other than having him slinging the ball is blasphemy, and the owners spent too much money on a defense that is NUMBER ONE in the NFL. Did I miss anything?

Jooser
05-31-2012, 12:59 PM
Seriously, I am starting to believe the inferences that you are a troll. At a minimum you sound like a miserable, depressed individual. Why do you even follow the Steelers if you hate everything that they do? Is there maybe another football team that you can actually agree with in ANY decisions that they make?

According to you, the number one defense absolutely SUCKS, the number 21 offense was perfect, since Ben is a great quarterback, to call any other play other than having him slinging the ball is blasphemy, and the owners spent too much money on a defense that is NUMBER ONE in the NFL. Did I miss anything?

SN, you know what they say about locking eyes with an idiot, right? Keep that in mind as you try to apply reason to insanity here buddy. ;)

Crash
05-31-2012, 01:00 PM
According to you, the number one defense absolutely SUCKS

Their 4th quarter scheme SUCKS. Get it right.

You're first sentence says it all. People like you love the fact they "rank" #1.

Me? I'd rather they prevent Joe $%^&*( Flacco and Tim Tebow from beating them and be ranked #15.

#1 rankings mean little when they don't come up big in key games.

RuthlessBurgher
05-31-2012, 01:14 PM

If you have less three-and-outs and more sustained drives, then everyone can get more opportunities in this coming season.

RuthlessBurgher
05-31-2012, 01:15 PM

You forgot to mentioned that Hines Ward is DIVORCED!!!! :eek:

Crash
05-31-2012, 01:16 PM
They'be been in the top 5 in TOP for 5 years straight. Three and outs aren't the issue.

Crash
05-31-2012, 01:17 PM
If you have less three-and-outs and more sustained drives, then everyone can get more opportunities in this coming season.

Not when your defense only forces 15 turnovers all year and you are 30th in starting field position.

And that was WITH a Pro Bowl returner.

Long drives take time.

Jooser
05-31-2012, 01:58 PM

Sounds too reasonable for this debate Ruthless, I'm calling unnecessary logic, 15 yards.

grotonsteel
05-31-2012, 02:28 PM

I don't think sustained drives is an issue with Steelers. Its Red Zone Offense which was outright horrible under BA.

TOP was never an issue with Steelers under BA.

skyhawk
05-31-2012, 02:34 PM

BS, Crash.

BUT, it wasn't Arians' fault that Heath needed to stay in more often to block due to a crappy OL. With an improved line, Heath will be able to get off the line more. So his role receiving CAN be improved. We are lucky to have the best all around TE in football where we can ask him to do whatever the offense needs.

I know you know this. But you want to be "right" more than anything.

skyhawk
05-31-2012, 02:36 PM
I don't think sustained drives is an issue with Steelers. Its Red Zone Offense which was outright horrible under BA.

TOP was never an issue with Steelers under BA.

Yup. +1

4th quarter defense was also a problem. And has been for 4 years.

Crash
05-31-2012, 02:39 PM
BS, Crash.

BUT, it wasn't Arians' fault that Heath needed to stay in more often to block due to a crappy OL. With an improved line, Heath will be able to get off the line more. So his role receiving CAN be improved. We are lucky to have the best all around TE in football where we can ask him to do whatever the offense needs.

I know you know this. But you want to be "right" more than anything.

How many passes do you expect Heath to get when they want to run more (according to 4 players), use running backs as receivers, while at the same time give Brown and Wallace (especially if he signs a BIG contract) their catches?

Give me a number.

skyhawk
05-31-2012, 02:42 PM
Not when your defense only forces 15 turnovers all year and you are 30th in starting field position.

And that was WITH a Pro Bowl returner.

Long drives take time.

BINGO!!!

Steelers offense could move up and down the field at will between the 30's. Especially starting so many of their drives inside the 20 all season. The D MUST create more turnovers and shorten the field. Not even Rodgers could make up for their poor defense last year, and Ben did all he could last season with 90 yards to go.

I got so sick of them starting drives inside the 10!!!!!

The defensive scheme must learn (LeBeau - or the players???) to take more chances and give up a long ball every so often. Rod Woodson and the defense of the 90's were a master of this and STILL lead the league in yards against most years. Neil O'Donnell and Kordell could play much better with short fields! NOD and FREAKIN Kordell of all people!!!

skyhawk
05-31-2012, 02:44 PM
How many passes do you expect Heath to get when they want to run more (according to 4 players), use running backs as receivers, while at the same time give Brown and Wallace (especially if he signs a BIG contract) their catches?

Give me a number.

Hard to tell. But the more we can use Heath as a threat (and/or help Wallace and Brown get open) the better. It's a nice problem to have. Wallace's presence helped BROWN's production last year big time!! And I believe can also fill that role.

Slapstick
05-31-2012, 02:56 PM
Can't. They are going to run the ball more if you believe four different players.

I guess I'll believe it when I see it...

While you point out that the Steelers ran the ball 58% of the time on 1st down, they only ran the ball on 44% of offensive plays...

So, if Art II did tell Bruce to run the ball more, which I don't believe despite what you claim, Arians failed at that as well...he ran a predictable offense that forced the Steelers into passing situations on the downs after 1st down...

Personally, I think that Haley's offense will be more balanced across the board...if the run/pass % is closer to 50/50, no wonder players are thinking they will run the ball more...

If the 1st down run % is lower than 58%, but the overall run % is greater than 44%, I think that the offense will be less predictable...AND the Yinzers will be happy...AND the offense will be more successful in general...

Crash
05-31-2012, 03:03 PM
While you point out that the Steelers ran the ball 58% of the time on 1st down, they only ran the ball on 44% of offensive plays...

Right, because after they would get 2nd and long? They'd have to pass. 3rd down is usually a passing down.

If you make first down 50-50, you can make 2nd down more 50-50 as well.

But someone has to get this through Art's head.

Slapstick
05-31-2012, 03:10 PM
Right, because after they would get 2nd and long? They'd have to pass. 3rd down is usually a passing down.

If you make first down 50-50, you can make 2nd down more 50-50 as well.

But someone has to get this through Art's head.

Why do you not think AR II understands this?

Players have said, "We will run the ball more." Okay...not hard to believe, because they ran the ball on 44% of the plays...

Has anyone said, "We will run the ball more on 1st down?"

Crash
05-31-2012, 03:21 PM
Why do you not think AR II understands this?

"Ben has to tweak his game"

Case closed.

RuthlessBurgher
05-31-2012, 03:54 PM
"Ben has to tweak his game"

Case closed.

If you are fine with him injuring 14 different parts of his body every season and walking around like a Walking Dead zombie by the time playoffs arrive, then he doesn't need to tweak his game at all.

Crash
05-31-2012, 04:08 PM
If you are fine with him injuring 14 different parts of his body every season and walking around like a Walking Dead zombie by the time playoffs arrive, then he doesn't need to tweak his game at all.

Predictable play-calling and a poor OL will do that. Not to mention the garbage field he plays on half the year because they insist on it.

He wasn't even hit when he injured his foot in 2010, he stepped in a friggin' hole, and FYI Heinz Field also injured Troy Polamalu during the same game when he stepped in a hole also.

RuthlessBurgher
05-31-2012, 04:12 PM
Predictable play-calling and a poor OL will do that. Not to mention the garbage field he plays on half the year because they insist on it.

He wasn't even hit when he injured his foot in 2010, he stepped in a friggin' hole, and FYI Heinz Field also injured Troy Polamalu during the same game when he stepped in a hole also.

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2011/12/20/1226226/577861-batman-football-field.jpg

phillyesq
05-31-2012, 04:14 PM

Is there a thread out there that you won't hijack? This is getting absurd.

Crash
05-31-2012, 04:16 PM
Is there a thread out there that you won't hijack? This is getting absurd.

Hi-jacking where? It's all relevant. We're discussing this team.

Try it sometime.

Eich
05-31-2012, 05:16 PM
Hi-jacking where? It's all relevant. We're discussing this team.

Try it sometime.

Except you're a massively broken record with regard to being pro-Ben to levels of blind homerism and anti-Hines, referring to him at a level just above satan.

grotonsteel
05-31-2012, 05:18 PM
http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2011/12/20/1226226/577861-batman-football-field.jpg

Nice Jersey. Are these available online??

Also does anyone know if Reebok is having any clearance sale for their NFL jerseys?

Crash
05-31-2012, 05:31 PM
Except you're a massively broken record with regard to being pro-Ben to levels of blind homerism and anti-Hines, referring to him at a level just above satan.

Nope. I just see Hines for the phony he is.

When he was cuffed TWICE, and then spent a night in jail on DUI charge? The first thing he should have done after his release from jail is to apologize for saying how he doesn't put himself in risky situations off the field.

He should have been suspended for a game. Holmes was, and the Rooney's were going to suspend Ben themselves.

But as usual, he got a free pass.