PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Sign Third-Round Pick Sean Spence

RuthlessBurgher
05-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Steelers Sign Third-Round Pick Sean Spence
Posted 31 minutes ago

The Steelers have signed their third-round draft pick from the 2012 NFL Draft, linebacker Sean Spence. Financial terms of the four-year deal were not disclosed.

Spence (5-11, 231), who was the 86th overall pick, played collegiately at the University of Miami. He started 40-of-47 games at linebacker, finishing 11th in school history with 318 tackles (170 solo). Spence also recorded 10.5 sacks, 47 tackles for loss, four forced fumbles and one interception returned for a touchdown. He is one of six Hurricanes to record 100 tackles at least twice in his career. As a senior, Spence earned All-American fourth-team honors from Phil Steele and was named All-Atlantic Coast Conference first-team by the Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Sign-Third-Round-Pick-Sean-Spence/81e50f73-2d6a-4561-bcab-9b4ee617bf45

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/indianagazette.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/50/350a82f4-a674-11e1-b49b-001a4bcf887a/4fbf94561269a.preview-300.jpg

Oviedo
05-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Let's hope he can contribute early. Oooops...my bad he plays on defense and isn't allowed until the mandatory two year hazing period ends.

flippy
05-29-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm not sure why, but this is the pick I'm most jazzed about.

I think we got a 3rd rounder that's going to have a Troy Polamalu like impact on this defense.

Oviedo
05-29-2012, 04:33 PM

I think we got a 3rd rounder that's going to have a Troy Polamalu like impact on this defense.

...in two years!!!! I just wanted to fix that. However I agree that Spence could be a real player whenever he gets on the field. No way any other team in the NFL has the speed at ILB that we would with Spence and Timmons.

skyhawk
05-29-2012, 07:44 PM

Yep. I really think this IS Troy's replacement and may someday be moved to SS. Thoughts?

RuthlessBurgher
05-29-2012, 07:53 PM
Let's hope he can contribute early. Oooops...my bad he plays on defense and isn't allowed until the mandatory two year hazing period ends.

http://kindergarten-fy01-g.fountaincityes.knoxschools.org/modules/groups/homepagefiles/cms/443859/Image/CAMERON's%20IMAGES/General/Yawn.gif

...in two years!!!! I just wanted to fix that.

http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/fatigue/tres-fatigue.gif

Oviedo
05-30-2012, 08:00 AM
http://kindergarten-fy01-g.fountaincityes.knoxschools.org/modules/groups/homepagefiles/cms/443859/Image/CAMERON's IMAGES/General/Yawn.gif

http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/fatigue/tres-fatigue.gif

Lots of pictures

birtikidis
05-30-2012, 08:26 AM
Rarely will a third round pick see significant playing time in any defense. I can't understand why you feel spence should be any different.

Northern_Blitz
05-30-2012, 08:36 AM
Lets hope he does as well from the bench as Woodley did in his first two years:

Year---G-----GS----COMB---Solo----Sacks---Int---FF
2008--15----15-----60-------41------11.5----1----2
2007--13-----0-----14-------14-------4.0-----0---1

Timmons' first two years were also fairly productive:

Year---G-----GS----COMB---Solo----Sacks---Int---FF
2008--16-----2-----65-------43------5.0-----1----1
2007--16-----0-----13-------11------0.0-----0----0

IMO, if Spence doesn't see the field, it will be due to his talent level vs. his competition (Woodley vs. Haggans: Timmons vs. Foote/Farrier) and his ability to pick up his role (learning responsibilities as a pass defending LB is likely more difficult than a LB who mostly rushes the QB). He'll have to earn his PT by competing on ST and sowing that he's worthy to contribute in sub packages (just like Woodley and Timmons). I don't think most would expect a 3rd round player to beat out a solid (if unspectacular) vet like Foote.

SidSmythe
05-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Even if this kid never becomes a FT Starter, he might be a valuable ST Ace and situational LB.
Eventually he might be a Deshea Townshend kinda guy at LB

RuthlessBurgher
05-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Even if this kid never becomes a FT Starter, he might be a valuable ST Ace and situational LB.

Right up to wearing the number of a recently departed star (Woodson's 26 and Farrior's 51).

skyhawk
05-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Like I said, I think he's too small to play ILB. He will be moved to safety one day if he's good enough. Otherwise he will be a Fred McAfee ace on ST's at the very least :stirpot:stirpot:stirpot

skyhawk
05-30-2012, 03:42 PM

What does this mean?? A solid LB on passing downs only?

SidSmythe
05-30-2012, 05:03 PM
What does this mean?? A solid LB on passing downs only?

undersized star who's overlooked by the league b/c his size doesn't fit the prototype.
I thought Townshend was an amazing CB and if he was 6' tall he would have been considered a star

SidSmythe
05-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Like I said, I think he's too small to play ILB. He will be moved to safety one day if he's good enough. Otherwise he will be a Fred McAfee ace on ST's at the very least :stirpot:stirpot:stirpot

exactly someone who came to mind, except Fred never had explosiveness like this kid

skyhawk
05-30-2012, 05:35 PM
undersized star who's overlooked by the league b/c his size doesn't fit the prototype.
I thought Townshend was an amazing CB and if he was 6' tall he would have been considered a star

Agreed. I was a big fan of Deshea. He was solid on the field and a great veteran presence.

The only LB that short that was all pro I can remember recently was London Fletcher.

skyhawk
05-30-2012, 05:36 PM
exactly someone who came to mind, except Fred never had explosiveness like this kid

Yep. He is a clinician when tackling. Perfect form and function. He reminded me of Lambert in that department when I sae his highlight clips this year.

Shoe
05-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Yep. I really think this IS Troy's replacement and may someday be moved to SS. Thoughts?

I would really doubt this.
In any case, I've never been a fan of big safeties, as they often have too much deficiency in coverage. And in today's NFL, it's more magnified. I don't think it's even an option.

But I am excited about Spence. As SidSmythe said, at least he should be a dynamic ST'er.

skyhawk
05-30-2012, 09:10 PM
I would really doubt this.
In any case, I've never been a fan of big safeties, as they often have too much deficiency in coverage. And in today's NFL, it's more magnified. I don't think it's even an option.

But I am excited about Spence. As SidSmythe said, at least he should be a dynamic ST'er.

Like Carnell Lake? An all-american LB at UCLA who moved to SS ;)

Wishful thinking I know, should be fun to see how he works out. I think he is a tweener - size and physicality wise.

Chadman
05-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Why are we convinced he's too small to play ILB? At 231lbs, he's nearly 20lbs heavier than Farrior had been the last couple of seasons. He's the same weight Timmons came into the NFL at. And at 5'11" he's an inch shorter than our Pro Bowl OLB James Harrison. 2 inches shorter than Timmons & Foote. It's not like he's 5'9" 185lbs- this guy is just slightly smaller than our current guys.

flippy
05-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Why are we convinced he's too small to play ILB? At 231lbs, he's nearly 20lbs heavier than Farrior had been the last couple of seasons. He's the same weight Timmons came into the NFL at. And at 5'11" he's an inch shorter than our Pro Bowl OLB James Harrison. 2 inches shorter than Timmons & Foote. It's not like he's 5'9" 185lbs- this guy is just slightly smaller than our current guys.

I see him as a Larry Foote with speed. And I've always thought if Foote had size or speed, he'd be one of the best LBs in the game.

BURGH86STEEL
05-30-2012, 10:12 PM

I guess it depends how and where his weight is distributed.

flippy
05-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Lambert was too small. Harrison is too small. Farrior was too small.

They all compensated in some way to make up for their size. Watching Spence play in college, he may have that something special. Just a hunch.

skyhawk
05-30-2012, 11:12 PM

Good points. The chances of him being a Farrior or Harrison type of player are highly against him though.

Chadman
05-31-2012, 12:16 AM
Good points. The chances of him being a Farrior or Harrison type of player are highly against him though.

Why? Not being funny- but can't see the reasoning behind this comment.

His play, at the college level, was outstanding.

skyhawk
05-31-2012, 12:28 AM
Why? Not being funny- but can't see the reasoning behind this comment.

His play, at the college level, was outstanding.

So was Alonzo Jackson and Huey Richardson's ;)

Kinda playing devil's advocate really. But I am concerned about undersized players making the leap to the next level. I was SUPER impressed with his collegiate career and his highlight reels.

Oviedo
05-31-2012, 07:56 AM
I'm somewhat baffled by some of the speculation that Spence would be a pssoble replacement for Troy P. Really? The thing that makes Troy who he is is the speed and explosion he posseses. No way Spence is even in Troy's universe when it comes to that.

I think Spence has the potential to be a very good LB but no way does he replace Troy. That is a topic worthy of extensive debate in itself because can anyone really replce Troy because our defense is very much designed around him?

flippy
05-31-2012, 08:19 AM
I'm somewhat baffled by some of the speculation that Spence would be a pssoble replacement for Troy P. Really? The thing that makes Troy who he is is the speed and explosion he posseses. No way Spence is even in Troy's universe when it comes to that.

I think Spence has the potential to be a very good LB but no way does he replace Troy. That is a topic worthy of extensive debate in itself because can anyone really replce Troy because our defense is very much designed around him?

My comment about Spence/Troy is around the impact he can have on this defense based on the way he played in college. I don't see him being a SS. Just a LB that has a chance to make an impact on our overall D.

Slapstick
05-31-2012, 08:45 AM
There are more similarities than differences between Foote's college game and Spence's college game...they both displayed good instincts and both recorded a lot of tackles for loss...

Foote was 2 inches taller coming out of college, but Spence looks like the better athlete...

Given the demands of the Mack position, I see no reason to believe that Spence can't handle it, provided that he has it above the shoulders like Foote does...

I don't know about changing to safety, per se, but I can see him performing a role similar to Polamalu and/or Timmons in the Nickel defense...

RuthlessBurgher
05-31-2012, 10:10 AM
Agreed. I was a big fan of Deshea. He was solid on the field and a great veteran presence.

The only LB that short that was all pro I can remember recently was London Fletcher.

Sam Mills was a 5-time Pro Bowler and 4-time All Pro for the Saints and Panthers in the 90's at 5'9" 232 lbs.

skyhawk
05-31-2012, 02:04 PM
Sam Mills was a 5-time Pro Bowler and 4-time All Pro for the Saints and Panthers in the 90's at 5'9" 232 lbs.

Excellent short LB!

skyhawk
05-31-2012, 02:08 PM

NO ONE will ever "replace" Troy and his ability. He is an All-time one of a kind. He will eventually be replaced though. Why are you baffled at someone switching positions at the next level? Defensive lineman change to OLB all the time. I am only speculating with Spence moving to SS. He probably won't, but the possibility shows how talented and versatile he really is.

Crash
05-31-2012, 04:50 PM
I think Spence could be Troy as far as his role near the LOS.

Then make Troy a FS in his late years if he decides to play.

Troy at FS would be dominant like Rod was.

skyhawk
05-31-2012, 09:30 PM

Yeah, I agree. He is kind of a FS even now. He does what he wants ;)

Chadman
05-31-2012, 10:15 PM

Why are you so determined to shift players out of position Crash???

;)