PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin MMQB: Win-at-all-costs kind of guy but not a bounty guy in any form or fashion

RuthlessBurgher
05-29-2012, 01:39 PM
From Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback:

Mike Tomlin gets a big hand at William & Mary.

When the Steelers coach was inducted earlier this month to the Hall of Fame at his alma mater -- Tomlin was a three-year starter at wide receiver at William & Mary in the early '90s -- he gave a rousing speech thanking his family and coaches and teammates for helping him as a player, person and coach. And he said something about why he's coaching in the NFL, and not college football.

"One of the reasons I work in the National Football League -- I'm tired of the NCAA rules,'' he told a crowd in Williamsburg, Va. "I am a win-at-all-costs kind of guy. The NFL is just right for me, although I am not a bounty guy in any form or fashion. Any form or fashion.'' Much applause. "What you've got to understand about the Pittsburgh Steelers is .. I ain't got to offer them anything. Guys like James Harrison -- they'll do it for nothing. The men I work with, I'm a blessed person."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/05/27/mmqb/1.html

King clarified one point for a reader in Tuesday's mailbag:

WHAT TOMLIN MEANT. "Is it just me or does Mike Tomlin's quote sound like his players will hurt/injure other players for free? "I ain't got to offer them anything. Guys like James Harrison -- they'll do it for nothing." The bounties were not about paying money to players, but more about intent to injure.''
-- From Nate, of Ithaca, N.Y.

I think Tomlin referred to players playing their hardest, without having any additional motivation. I didn't take it as Tomlin saying: "My guys will hurt other guys for free, and I don't have to give them any financial motivation to do so.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/05/29/mail/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a2

Oviedo
05-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Piss poor piece of writing with King just trying to stir up trouble with regards to the Steelers.

This is why Harrison always running his mouth and tweeting doesn't do the team any favors. It makes everyone associated with the team a suspect to be watched with a wary eye...even the coach.

phillyesq
05-29-2012, 02:05 PM
I'm glad that in responding to the question, King at least provided context and clarification. Florio's attempt to use the quote to cast Tomlin in a bad light was absolutely repugnant, even for him:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/28/tomlin-is-a-win-at-all-costs-guy/

Slapstick
05-29-2012, 02:49 PM
That makes no sense...

So, the players don't accept money for hurting players, but gladly pay fines and accept suspensions because they like Tomlin?

Crash
05-29-2012, 02:53 PM
The entire Steelers team should boycott NBC's Sunday Night Football media. The way Florio treats Ben and the Steelers organization with outright lies is disgusting.

Tell those sideline bimbos to take a hike, we aren't talking.

Peter King is garbage too. Nothing but a Pats sperm guzzler.

flippy
05-29-2012, 03:45 PM
The TV contracts that Goodell negotiates are the real bounty system. Fans watch for violence. Goodell and the league reward the most violent players with the biggest contracts. The real bounty comes from TV. It's what the fans want.

It's like the modern day gladiator arenas without the immediate death. And Goodell, just like Caesar, doesn't realize who the real problem is.

Oviedo
05-29-2012, 03:52 PM
The TV contracts that Goodell negotiates are the real bounty system. Fans watch for violence. Goodell and the league reward the most violent players with the biggest contracts. The real bounty comes from TV. It's what the fans want.

It's like the modern day gladiator arenas without the immediate death. And Goodell, just like Caesar, doesn't realize who the real problem is.

Excellent point. Very astute statement!!!!!!

The difference is that these gladiators want to be there and reap huge rewards for being there.

Pops8
05-29-2012, 04:40 PM

http://karabee.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/gladiator69.jpg?w=550

now if I can just get someone to crop Roger's face on the Caesar here.

Roger doesn't give a rats arse about the players; he cares about the player lawsuit over concussions.

Oviedo
05-29-2012, 05:01 PM
http://karabee.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/gladiator69.jpg?w=550

now if I can just get someone to crop Roger's face on the Caesar here.

Roger doesn't give a rats arse about the players; he cares about the player lawsuit over concussions.

Caring about the lawsuits is his job. That is why the owners pay him and keep him. Protecting the NFL from player regret lawsuits is Job #1. Former players will destroy this league long before anything Goodell does. In this situation Goodell has to be the savior or the NFL will go the way of boxing.

DukieBoy
05-29-2012, 06:35 PM
The entire Steelers team should boycott NBC's Sunday Night Football media. The way Florio treats Ben and the Steelers organization with outright lies is disgusting.

Tell those sideline bimbos to take a hike, we aren't talking.

Peter King is garbage too. Nothing but a Pats sperm guzzler.

They couldn't get a job writing for Days Of Our Lives, so they smear this hystrionic soap opera crap all over the sports media ?

RuthlessBurgher
05-29-2012, 08:11 PM
All of this gladiator talk has made my long for my old sig again. Time for a change. A month of Deke Astro is enough, I suppose (especially since he's one of three of our top rookies not allowed to attend OTA's because of stupid, outdated rules).

RuthlessBurgher
05-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Messing around with sigs and avatars, I've changed my mind already...holding off on the gladiator sig until the season starts...

Flasteel
05-29-2012, 10:09 PM
Messing around with sigs and avatars, I've changed my mind already...holding off on the gladiator sig until the season starts...

Please explain your current sig. It needs explaining.

Chadman
05-30-2012, 01:24 AM
Well, the 'storm' that this article is/has created is rather indicative of modern society. Tomlin's speech was, after listening to it, excellent. Truthful. Funny. Intelligent.

However, the mindless fools that WE have all become will try to pick it apart, find some hidden meaning, anything, that we can then use to tear him, or anyone down.

No praise. No adoration. No congratulations.

No- what we look for, as a society of leaches & fools, is a way to bring someone down on a percieved slight, to try & make someone less than who they are by misinterrpreting their words, on purpose, in order to sell a story, be controversial, be 'entertaining'...or more truthfully- to be 'the first guy to break the story' & 'get paid' as a result.

If ANYONE reported that Mike Tomlin gave an interesting, funny speech at his Hall of Fame induction at William & Mary- they'd get a small reading spot on an obscure page in the middle of the paper. It'd be a minor note on a web page.

But if you just mainpulate his words, just enough- Tomlin loves violent players that don't need to be paid to hurt people.

The ONLY way this sort of reporting gets stopped, is if WE stop reading this crap.

As the Rolling Stones said in Sympathy for the Devil- "We shouted out 'who killed the Kennedy's', when after all, it was you & me".

Blame Florio- the gutless, slimy turd that he is. Blame Peter King, blame NBC/Fox or whoever.

But we should blame ourselves that this sort of stuff gets reported too. While we get all upset when it's about 'our boys'- Chadman knows we all watch with glee when Ravens/Browns/Pats players get reports about their stuff ups too.

Rant over.

Go Steelers!

Slapstick
05-30-2012, 08:56 AM
Honestly, right after I clicked on the link, I knew that I was contributing a hit to that dog$h!t webpage...I felt a little guilty...

DBR96A
05-30-2012, 09:13 AM
What I'd like to see done is for every Steelers message board to have one person who does the dirty work and visits the different mainstream sports media websites to find the articles, and then takes a screenshot of the entire page and uploads it to some photo-sharing service like Photobucket or Flickr for a brief period of time, so that way people can read the article without contributing to the bottom line of the website that it comes from. And if that's copyright infringement, then so be it. People like that deserve to have their copyright violated.

RuthlessBurgher
05-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Please explain your current sig. It needs explaining.

It's an absolutely perfect example of a Venn diagram!

To put it in Pittsburgh terms...

...the Ohio River is the product of the confluence of the Allegheny River and Monongahela River...

...the Platypus is the product of the confluence of the Beaver and the Duck...

...the Keytar is the product of the confluence of the Guitar and the Keyboard...

...therefore...

...the Playtus Playing Keytar is the ultimate confluence of the Beaver Playing Guitar and the Duck Playing Keyboard...

Doesn't get any better than that for geeks like me who appreciate math, odd animals, crappy 80's synth music, and of course, a quality confluence every now and then.

I thought it was freaking hysterical myself, but I guess if it needs explaining, it's probably not as funny as I thought it was. Oh well. At least I like it. :p

RuthlessBurgher
05-30-2012, 10:23 AM
What I'd like to see done is for every Steelers message board to have one person who does the dirty work and visits the different mainstream sports media websites to find the articles, and then takes a screenshot of the entire page and uploads it to some photo-sharing service like Photobucket or Flickr for a brief period of time, so that way people can read the article without contributing to the bottom line of the website that it comes from. And if that's copyright infringement, then so be it. People like that deserve to have their copyright violated.

We don't use screen shots, but Hawaiiansteel and Fordfixer in particular (along with a few others every now and then) do an excellent job of scouring the web for Steeler stories that they cut and paste on here for all to read (with appropriate links). You can read the stories here without clicking on the links.

flippy
05-30-2012, 10:37 AM

...the Ohio River is the product of the confluence of the Allegheny River and Monongahela River...

...the Keytar is the product of the confluence of the Guitar and the Keyboard...

...therefore...

...the Playtus Playing Keytar is the ultimate confluence of the Beaver Playing Guitar and the Duck Playing Keyboard...

Doesn't get any better than that for geeks like me who appreciate math, odd animals, crappy 80's synth music, and of course, a quality confluence every now and then.

I thought it was freaking hysterical myself, but I guess if it needs explaining, it's probably not as funny as I thought it was. Oh well. At least I like it. :p

I didn't see the Venn diagram, but I'm a confluence goober and see confluences everywhere.

From God being a Steeler fan because of the trinity to every child being a Steelers fan because they are the confluence of their mommy and daddy. Good pic. Woulda been better if it was in black and gold. :)

RuthlessBurgher
05-30-2012, 10:55 AM
I didn't see the Venn diagram, but I'm a confluence goober and see confluences everywhere.

From God being a Steeler fan because of the trinity to every child being a Steelers fan because they are the confluence of their mommy and daddy. Good pic. Woulda been better if it was in black and gold. :)

You need a confluence of colors, too (as Ziploc commercials once told us, yellow and blue make green). If black and gold were used, would it be black on one side, Steeler gold on the other, and Penguin gold in the middle?

Pops8
05-30-2012, 11:14 AM

...therefore...

I thought it was funny as hell when I saw it (in a neozoomdweebie sort of way). I admit, I didn't tie it to the rivers, but it is a nice tie.

flippy
05-30-2012, 12:27 PM
You need a confluence of colors, too (as Ziploc commercials once told us, yellow and blue make green). If black and gold were used, would it be black on one side, Steeler gold on the other, and Penguin gold in the middle?

Penguin gold is now a confluence. Never even considered that one :)

Ghost
05-30-2012, 01:00 PM
It's a f@cking nerd convention in here....

RuthlessBurgher
05-30-2012, 01:12 PM
It's a f@cking nerd convention in here....

Says the guy with the Flash sig...

http://us14.memecdn.com/Big-Bang-Theory-Flash-Costumes_c_97404.jpg

Ghost
05-30-2012, 01:58 PM
http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/406geeks_and_nerds.png

RuthlessBurgher
05-30-2012, 03:29 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/small_nerd_glasses_nerds_rule_the_world_mug-p168204170411429670z8ndj_400.jpghttp://rlv.zcache.com/geeks_inherit_earth_mug-p168062198427804113z85qx_400.jpg

Flasteel
05-30-2012, 06:13 PM

...therefore...

Interesting look inside your mind...not much different from what I would expect.:D