PDA

View Full Version : Hold Off Judging Jonathan Dwyer Until He Arrives At Training Camp

hawaiiansteel
05-24-2012, 08:13 PM
Hold Off Judging Jonathan Dwyer Until He Arrives At Training Camp

Thursday, May 24th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

One of the concerns of Steeler Nation that seems to be surfacing coming out the Pittsburgh Steelers first OTA session this week is the weight of third year running back Jonathan Dwyer. His weight has been a concern of Steelers General Manger Kevin Colbert as well, who said back in late February on SiriusXM NFL Radio, He's a big guy and you know sometimes he's a little too big quite honestly. He has to keep his weight in check, but he's 245 to 255 and he can run.

Dwyer participated in the first two days of the OTA session this week and was excused Thursday so that he could attend his brother's high school graduation ceremony. Most of the fan base concern stems from the video shot of the day one practice that took place on Tuesday. I grabbed a still from that video that shows Dwyer to be a little thick around the middle.

Weight control is nothing new to Dwyer though as he admitted to showing up at training camp last year a little heavy, which led to him having to drop 15-20 pounds pretty fast. When asked about the extra weight he showed up with last summer, Dwyer said, I was working out a lot right after last season. But then during the lockout, I rested my body and gained weight. The lockout was long, and I didnt know when wed come back. I just messed up. When pressed further as to how he lost the weight he said, Just working, man. Working hard ... doing extra work in the mornings during camp ... running gassers after practice with the rest of the running backs ... eating right and not eating after a certain time of day ... keeping my calorie count down ... just doing the right things. Im losing weight every day. Im back on the right track, and it is showing with the way Im practicing and the way Im playing. Dwyer said at that time he was down to around 235-238 pounds.

This off-season has also presented another obstacle for the Georgia State product as he was recovering from surgery to repair a broken left foot he suffered late last season and he was not clear of rehab until early February. This of course prevented him from running for a good amount of time and that is certainly something he apparently needs to do keep his conditioning up and his weight down. Dwyer said back in April that his plans were to train with Tom Shaw during the the month of July, but those plans have since changed. He told us on the podcast a few weeks ago that the plan is now to train at Bommarito Performance Systems in Florida alongside teammates Antonio Brown and Lawrence Timmons. Dwyer said recently that ideally he would like to play at 225-230 pounds.

Training camp is still a good couple of months away and there are still two more OTA sessions and a mini camp that will take place over the course of the next three weeks. Following that Dwyer will still have a considerable amount of time to get his weight down. Until then I suggest we all hold off judging him until he reports to Latrobe for the start of training camp. Dwyer knows he has a great opportunity ahead of him to be the backup to Isaac Redman with Rashard Mendenhall likely to start the season on the PUP list. I fully expect he will photograph better at that time.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/hold_off_judging_jonathan_dwyer_until_he_arrives_a t_training_camp/10865765

Crash
05-24-2012, 08:18 PM
If he struggles with the run test I could see him getting the Hampton treatment.

RuthlessBurgher
05-24-2012, 08:25 PM
If he struggles with the run test I could see him getting the Hampton treatment.

Or the Jamain Stephens treatment...

Slapstick
05-24-2012, 10:08 PM
If he is training with Brown and Timmons, I can't think of any possible way for him to show up out of shape...

Crash
05-24-2012, 10:51 PM
If he shows up at 230 max he'll win the job if he's given a legit chance to win it.

Lebsteel
05-24-2012, 11:05 PM
I am sure Dave Bryan knows that Dwyer went to Georgia TECH not Georgia STATE...

SteelCrazy
05-25-2012, 06:23 AM
For a back that is 2nd or 3rd or 4th on a depth chart he is cutting it close to training camp to get into shape. If it were me, I have to think I would stay in playing shape all year long. It just blows my mind....

Ghost
05-25-2012, 02:08 PM
I thought the Steelers got a steal when they grabbed Dwyer in the 6th round but since day 1 he's acted as if he was a 1st rounder who just had to show up and had a roster spot locked up. As SteelCrazy mentions; it's mind blowing and frustrating. Even though he's a good 25 pounds lighter, I'm much more excited to see what Batch can do at this point.

hawaiiansteel
05-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Steelers RB Jonathan Dwyer Wants To Be 'One Of The Main Guys Contributing'

by Neal Coolong on May 18, 2012

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/4072730/123295267_extra_large.jpg

Mike Wilkening of Pro Football Weekly penned a solid piece on Steelers RB Jonathan Dwyer, and what he's up to this off-season.

From Wilkening's accounts, Dwyer is ready to compete for an increase in playing time, something he hasn't had much of since being chosen six picks before Pro Bowl WR/KR Antonio Brown.

Wrote Wilkening:

Entering his third NFL campaign, "you want more," Dwyer said Thursday. "You want to be out (there) more and more and be one of the main guys that contributes on this team."

The article also references RB Rashard Mendenhall, whom Dwyer noted was at the facility as part of his rehabilitation from an ACL tear he suffered at the end of last season.

Dwyer won't likely compete for a starting position this year, but as he can attest to (a broken foot toward the end of the year) as well as a late-season injury to former Steelers RB Mewelde Moore, having a deep running back unit is important in the NFL.

He showed at least some potential, having scampered for a 76-yard run against Tennessee in Week 5 last season - the seventh-longest play from scrimmage in team history.

Running back figures to be a hot battle in training camp, with back-up spots behind likely starter Isaac Redman and fill-in spots while Mendenhall is out (could be through the first part of the season) are up between Dwyer, John Clay, Baron Batch and rookie Chris Rainey.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/5/18/3027890/steelers-running-backs-training-camp-jonathan-dwyer-rashard-mendenhall-isaac-redman-baron-batch#storyjump[/QUOTE]

Pops8
05-25-2012, 04:08 PM
I thought the Steelers got a steal when they grabbed Dwyer in the 6th round but since day 1 he's acted as if he was a 1st rounder who just had to show up and had a roster spot locked up. As SteelCrazy mentions; it's mind blowing and frustrating. Even though he's a good 25 pounds lighter, I'm much more excited to see what Batch can do at this point.

agreed. Had Dwyer embraced the opportunity he was given, he would have been a steal. His window is obviously not shut, but Batch brought a great attitude and work ethic on day one. The coaches have to like that while Dwyer will always have the question mark by his name. I too am excited to see what Batch can do; I'm rootin' for the kid.

NW Steeler
05-25-2012, 05:15 PM
I find it ridiculous that a professional athlete would sit around on his fat azz for months while the NFL was in a lockout. He should have been busting his azz to get in the best shape that he could.

SteelCrazy
05-25-2012, 09:04 PM
I find it ridiculous that a professional athlete would sit around on his fat azz for months while the NFL was in a lockout. He should have been busting his azz to get in the best shape that he could.

What's worse is he knew there was an upcoming season that wasnt going to be delayed (this year) and yet shows up 25-50lbs over-weight. I mean, you were a 2nd round talent picked in the 6th round. Where's the chip to prove your worth? I like his size and running style, but his preparation and attitude leaves a lot to be desired.

Oviedo
05-26-2012, 09:28 AM
IMO Dwyer will be ready and will push Redman. It's not like he is competing against Adrian Peterson. However, if he blows this chance just cut him. RBs in this league area dime a dozen and every team, including us, is going to RB by committee anyway.

Slapstick
05-26-2012, 10:38 AM
If Dwyer isn't competing with Redman, then he won't be on the team...

With guys like Batch coming in ready to compete and even a guy like Clay...well...let's just say that Dwyer hasn't shown much...

At least Redman has gotten it done in NFL games...hell, Redman blew way past 100 yards in a playoff game...