PDA

View Full Version : what are you waiting to be reported from the OTA camps?

steeler_george
05-21-2012, 12:20 PM
For me I want to hear how the O is embracing Halleys offense.

The health of Sanders and Batch.... two players, I think, if healthy can be BIG ROLE PLAYERS!

Mister Pittsburgh
05-21-2012, 12:49 PM
I don't pay attention till training camp.

ikestops85
05-21-2012, 01:28 PM
For me I want to hear how the O is embracing Halleys offense.

The health of Sanders and Batch.... two players, I think, if healthy can be BIG ROLE PLAYERS!

Those are 2 guys that I am interested in also. Sanders because he was a guy really coming on his rookie year ... somebody Ben seems to like ... and Batch just cause I like the guys spirit.

RuthlessBurgher
05-21-2012, 01:34 PM
It's tough to tell anything about line play with no pads allowed, so I'd imagine that the focus for fans will be on the passing game

I think the four-game-suspension-bound Weslye Saunders will impress and make it mighty difficult for the team if they are considering cutting him after signing Leonard Pope and Will Johnson and drafting David Paulson.

hawaiiansteel
05-21-2012, 01:36 PM
I love the smell of OTAs in the morning...

http://faeronwheeler.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Apocalyps-Now-Napalm.jpg

Jigawatts
05-21-2012, 01:49 PM
No injuries

BURGH86STEEL
05-21-2012, 01:52 PM
From a fans perspective, very little reported from these functions really matters. Personally, I think it's football over kill. The best thing is for players to remain healthy.

phillyesq
05-21-2012, 03:58 PM
No injuries

Good call. This is probably the biggest thing. Second would be how guys coming back from injuries are doing, and hoping for no setbacks.

hawaiiansteel
05-21-2012, 07:24 PM
I don't pay attention till training camp.

OTA's (Organized Team Activities) Are Just a Reminder that We're Still Two Months Away from Training Camp

by Anthony Defeo on May 21, 2012

Tomorrow, the Steelers begin their OTA's, and for die-hard fans, it's at least a little taste of football, so to speak. We'll get to see our boys in action again, albeit only in shorts, and we'll get another glimpse of the new rookie crop...........well, except for DeCastro and Adams.

Speaking of that, Mike Wallace also won't be there because of his contract dispute, and his absence will probably dominate much of the talk. Coach Mike Tomlin will more than likely have to spend the majority of his time with the media deflecting questions about his speedy receiver.

I don't think that will be the only news. I'm sure there will be some "OTA Wonders" that really look good in their helmets and shorts, and we'll marvel at their sheer athleticism.

Although, I'm pretty sure we won't be allowed to marvel because I don't think OTA's are open to the general public.

In years past, before OTA's, there was mini camp (there might still be mini camp, and if there is, I'm sure I won't be able to tell the difference), and the thing that I remember most about Steelers mini camp was that it wasn't training camp.

Mini camps, OTA's, whatever you want to call them, are like the two or three days before your big vacation. You're really excited about it, but you're still bummed because you have another few days of work. Plus, you still have tons of things to take care of like packing, making sure the dogs get to the kennel on time, confirming your flight, and if you're going out of the country, finding your passport.

You still have to get all of that stuff out of the way before you can even dream about being on the plane.

Training Camp, when the boys head to Latrobe in late July, now that's more like it. For a football fan like me, that''s the equivalent to being on the plane to your tropical destination. It's still not quite September, but you're heading in the right direction.

OTA's are more for the players than they are for the fans. It's like the read-through before the actual rehearsal. I don't know about you, but I'd love to see some of my favorite actors and actresses rehearse before their big scenes; I find that pretty intriguing. But I have no desire to see them sitting around a table and reading their lines for the first time, months before the movie will even begin production.

I do realize that, at least for the offense, these OTA's will be a little more urgent than in years past because of Todd Haley's new terminology. But again, it's for the players; it's their script readings. As a fan, I don't know how much enjoyment I'd get from it even if I could see it live.

When it comes to OTA's, I'm more concerned about what a player doesn't do than what he does do. I don't want to hear about the great moves that (insert young rookie phenom here) displayed in OTA's. I just want to know that his ACL is still intact after those great moves and that he'll be attending training camp.

To sum it all up, these are the dog days of the offseason for a huge football fan like me. And OTA's are just a reminder that we still have two months to go before training camp, which means we're still a good four months away from the start of the regular season.

Oh man, now I'm even more depressed, Is there a way I can go into hibernation until September?. I hope that flight serves free drinks.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/5/21/3033782/otas-organized-team-activities-are-just-a-reminder-that-were-still#storyjump

hawaiiansteel
05-22-2012, 12:55 AM
What To Look For During Steelers First OTA Session Of 2012

May 21st, 2012 by Jeff SneddenSteelers

While fans will have very limited access to the happenings this week on the South Side, the Steelers first Organized Team Activities (OTAs) of the 2012 season should bring out the newshounds in the traditional media who have been stumbling through hockey and baseball highlights for the past four months while reporting every miniscule Steelers tidbit as if the season were starting tomorrow.

The OTA season is upon us, and that means very little to us – the “media” or to you, the fan. Other than giving the football-starved folks of western Pennsylvania some Steelers gossip to chew on between gulps of depressing Pirates game nights, very little happens during the OTA’s. In a normal year for the Steelers, the team would simply gather a third of their roster – mainly newly signed rookies and free agents – and bring them into the fold to start learning playbooks and terminology. This is not a “normal” year for the Steelers. New offensive coordinator Todd Haley has arrived with an entirely new offense that has turned a simple coaching change into a certified Black and Gold emergency, taking fans back in time to the year 1999, when Head Coach Bill Cowher brought offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride into Steeler Nation and helped make the final two seasons at historic Three Rivers Stadium two of the worst campaigns the team ever enjoyed at the old concrete bowl. Change is a curse word in Steeler Country, a term rarely heard uttered around the most consistent organization in football. For a team that has had three head coaches since 1969, fans are used to just tuning out anything that happens before the players move into their dorm rooms at St. Vincent College in late summer. Not this year, folks. Change is upon us – at least in theory – and both fans and players alike have hit the panic button already in late May. Since Phase One of the OTA sessions are basically conditioning practice, the only real news we will hear will be if someone shows up grossly overweight (my money is on RB Jon Dwyer) , but it is football so we will be thrilled to hear about it.

Nobody knows who will show up for these OTA sessions, as they are not exactly mandatory for the veterans. We know that first and second round draft picks OG David DeCastro and OT Mike Adams won’t be there, as they are still putting the finishing touches on their final year of college. S Troy Polamalu won’t be there because he trains on his own until camp starts. WR Mike Wallace won’t be there because he is still pouting over his failure to land a “Larry Fitzgerald-sized” contract in his restricted free agency period. There is a chance Wallace will milk this contract business until he is mandated to be in Latrobe, and his story will be a source of endless debate all year.

So what can fans look for once the news starts pumping out of the South Side Complex this week? Here are a few items that are worth investigating this week.

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2012/05/Foote.jpg

1. Larry Foote takes over the starting “Buck” ILB slot for the departed James Farrior – The last time the Steelers entered a season without #51 calling the defensive plays was 2001. Foote has been with the team since 2002 – minus a one-year stint with his hometown Detroit Lions – and is going to be counted on as the leader in the middle of this Steelers defense. The team will be without Farrior, DE Aaron Smith, and DL Chris Hoke – three of the respected, grizzled veterans of the past decade – and will need Foote to divide his time between making a ton of tackles against the run and trying to help develop young ILB Stevenson Sylvester and Sean Spence (who though unsigned, will most likely be in Pittsburgh this week). For his part, Foote has always been a steady hand as a player. As a starter between 2005-2008, Foote was a productive linebacker who was always better than he was given credit for. As a back-up, he has been a consummate professional, understanding his role and just happy to be the Steeler. It will be interesting to see how he reacts to becoming a major piece of the puzzle again, and taking over the former slot of his legendary buddy, James Farrior. His battle to become a respected leader can begin this week.

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2012/05/keenan-lewis.jpg

2. The Cornerback position derby begins – Let’s just call it like it is – not many people are crying their eyes to sleep at night over the though of a Steelers secondary sans William Gay. Gay took his ball and a nice contract and headed to Pittsburgh-West, leaving the Steelers with only Ike Taylor as a CB with any kind of game experience. Since Ike can’t “swag” alone, he will need a new “swagging” partner in the defensive secondary. That player will come from a group that includes Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen, Curtis Brown, and newcomer Terrence Frederick. The odds-on-favorite for the job is Keenan Lewis, who heads into his fourth season and at 6-foot tall and 208 lbs., has a natural build for the position. Lewis will be pushed hard for the job by both Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown, second-year players that both turned heads last year. Frederick comes in as one of the Steelers 7th rounders and has a real chance to make the roster for special teams duties. No matter who wins the starting job, the Steelers finally seem to have some legit depth in talent at cornerback – a spot they have lacked solid backups for some time. We should see all four players at OTAs this week, and it will be a good chance to see how their off-season conditioning either thrusts them into the limelight or turns them into the next Joe Burnett.

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2012/05/HOOD.jpg

3. The new Defensive Line takes shape – The first true team activities without Aaron Smith and Chris Hoke are upon us, and NT Casey Hampton is still nursing his ACL injury. That means the Steelers will be looking at a defensive line potentially featuring DE Cameron Heyward, DE Ziggy Hood, and NT Alameda Ta’amu -not just for OTA action, but for the start of the season. We won’t count out another stellar season coming from “The Diesel” Brett Keisel, but at 33-years old he should begin to be phased out this season. It is a transitional period for the Steelers front three, and we should get a good look at how the young guns on the defensive line are looking this week. While they won’t be wearing pads, just seeing the new players out there sweating and pushing around offensive linemen should be a sight that warms Steeler fans hearts.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/05/21/what-to-look-for-during-steelers-first-ota-session-of-2012/

hawaiiansteel
05-22-2012, 01:03 AM
OTAs set to begin

MONDAY, MAY 21, 2012
posted by Dale Lolley

The Steelers OTAs are set to begin this week and the team has some interesting battles that will begin.

We all know by now of the team's shakeup on the offensive line. As I've said, Jonathan Scott will likely take first-team snaps at left tackle and Ramon Foster will be at right guard - for now.

But rookies Mike Adams and David DeCastro will be pushing from the start.

The other big battle will be at cornerback across from Ike Taylor.

William Gay, last year's starter, is gone and Keenan Lewis will get the first chance to replace him.

But second-year players Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown will be pushing hard.

Of course, one of those three will be in the starting lineup. Another will be the third corner.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

hawaiiansteel
05-22-2012, 02:02 AM
5 things to watch at Steelers OTAs

May 21st, 2012

When the Steelers open up OTAs tomorrow they will be without 3 main players. They have starter and Pro Bowler Mike Wallace out. They also will be missing potential starters on the offensive line David DeCastro and Mike Adams. Even with those guys out there will be plenty to watch. The team is very young now and there are many positions open and up for grabs. It will be intriguing to see where these guys line up.

5 Things to Watch:

Who lines up across from Ike Taylor at Cornerback? The Steelers no longer have William Gay for fans to pick on this year. The player across from Ike Taylor will be on of three guys. It will either be Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen or Curtis Brown. Who lines up across from Taylor will say a lot about where the team is going. It is expected to be Lewis. That would be status quo. We all would expect that. If someone else is in that starting roll tomorrow then it could be a battle to see who starts week one. It will also show how little the Steelers feel about Lewis on the field.

Where is Marcus Gilbert lined up with the first team? It looks like second round pick Mike Adams is expected to start for this team. They have moved Willie Colon to left guard. The tackle position is open. The question is which one will it be. Gilbert was told to prepare to be the teams left tackle. Mike Adams has spent his rookie mini camp as the left tackle. If Gilbert plays on the right side tomorrow out of the gate that is how the Steelers will likely line up when they open up the season.

Who is James Harrison’s back up? Many people were very underwhelmed with Jason Worilds last season. More was expected of him when Harrison went down. When the Steelers second team goes on the field tomorrow the person backing up Harrison will likely be the future at that position. It should be between Chris Carter and Worilds. If Carter lines up behind Harrison then Worilds may have already been passed on the depth chart. LaMarr Woodley is not going anywhere for a good long while. Harrison’s position is the one that will be up for grabs sooner. That back up will be the player to watch for the Steelers of the future.

Will Ziggy Hood line up at NT? This has been rumored all offseason. Ziggy may move to NT with Hampton out. Then Keisel and Heyward would take over the DE duty for the time being. The Steelers did draft Alameda Ta’amu to be the up and coming NT. If Steve McLendon lines up as the starting NT in the defense then Ta’amu will be looked at to play NT more then Hood. Hood can then stay at DE.

Will Todd Haley yell at Ben Roethlisberger day one? I am really hoping to get this out of the way early. Haley is going to yell at Roethlisberger sooner or later. It is going to happen. Let it happen now and let Roethlisberger have time to get over it and adapt to it. He is not going to like it but it is better to be done with it. See how Haley and Roethlisberger react together and move on.

How nice is it that football is about to kick into gear even if it is just a short time.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/

hawaiiansteel
05-23-2012, 03:13 AM
Steelers Day 1 OTAs Recap

May 22nd, 2012

The Steelers opened up their first round of OTAs today. As expected Mike Wallace was not in attendance. Wallace was in town to meet with Mike Tomlin last week though and he got his playbook. Wallace will wait as long as he can to sign his tender. He can not wait that long though. With a new offense he will have to get in tune with Roethlsiberger and the other wide receivers.

The practice went off with no one getting injured that we know of. Though there were a few guys absent. Brett Keisel was not at practice. Neither was Ike Taylor but he will be on the field tomorrow. He just arrived late to the facility and missed today. The only other players missing were the rookies who were not allowed to attend. That would be Mike Adams, David DeCastro and Alameda Ta’amu. The Steelers did have a few players sit out with prior injuries. Ramon Foster had a hamstring. Casey Hampton and Rashard Mendenhall were on site but neither is able to practice.

Here are some other notes from practice today:

Starting Offensive line consisted of Trai Essex, Willie Colon, Maurkice Pouncey, Doug Legursky and Marcus Gilbert. Gilbert was lined up on the right side. That looks like it is where he will play. That means when Adams and DeCastro return they will likely move into the open positions of Right Guard and Left Tackle.

Ben Roethlisberger seems extremely frustrated. He is not picking up the offense as quickly as he would like. He likened things to his rookie year when he knew one read and then ran for his life. He is joking about it but you can see the frustration on his face when he talks.

Everyone else seems really happy. Emmanuel Sanders came out of practice ready to go and excited about his role. The offensive line seemed happy to especially Center Maurkice Pouncey. Everyone seems to be moving a long and happy with what is going on except Roethlisberger. He will get it with time. As happy as everyone else is with what is going on though he may feel more pressure because he is the one not getting it.

The offense seems to be Play Action oriented which means the Steelers will be running the ball. It may not be heavily but it will be more often. This passing game is made off of quick passes where guys can run after the catch or play action where guys get open after the fake. Roethlisberger will be expected to get rid of the ball instead of holding onto it.

All in all it was a good first day. Any day of mini camp or OTAs without an injury is a good day. The team will be back on the field tomorrow and we will learn more about what things are going to look like next season.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/

Crash
05-23-2012, 04:02 AM
Smashmouth. Yay.

Slapstick
05-23-2012, 06:26 AM
Smashmouth. Yay.

Makes sense with Colon playing in a new position and two rookies projected to start on the o-line...

Run blocking is much easier...

RuthlessBurgher
05-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Smashmouth. Yay.

What about this says smashmouth?

The offense seems to be Play Action oriented which means the Steelers will be running the ball. It may not be heavily but it will be more often. This passing game is made off of quick passes where guys can run after the catch or play action where guys get open after the fake. Roethlisberger will be expected to get rid of the ball instead of holding onto it.

phillyesq
05-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Smashmouth. Yay.

A quick passing game where guys like Brown and Sanders can produce after the catch sounds dreadful. So does the idea of using play action to set up the deep ball to Wallace and the rest of the wideouts. Before you know it, we're going to be back in 1975.

RuthlessBurgher
05-23-2012, 10:59 AM
A quick passing game where guys like Brown and Sanders can produce after the catch sounds dreadful. So does the idea of using play action to set up the deep ball to Wallace and the rest of the wideouts. Before you know it, we're going to be back in 1975.

I want to see Ike Redman and Antonio Brown sporting Franco Harris and Lynn Swann 1975 afros. :p

Slapstick
05-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Wow. A play-action passing game sounds so radically different from what Arians did...

Dogs and cats, living together!! It's mass hysteria!!

Crash
05-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Makes sense with Colon playing in a new position and two rookies projected to start on the o-line...

Run blocking is much easier...

So trade Ben, start Leftwich, and load up on RBs and defense. You don't pay a HOF QB $15 mil a year to hand the ball off all season.

All that WR talent, and we're trying to create 1975 with a freaking golf coach running the offense.

Slapstick
05-23-2012, 11:16 AM
So trade Ben, start Leftwich, and load up on RBs and defense. You don't pay a HOF QB $15 mil a year to hand the ball off all season.

All that WR talent, and we're trying to create 1975 with a freaking golf coach running the offense.

Yep...

Just like Haley did in Arizona with their franchise QB and their WR talent...

Oh, wait...

Crash
05-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Yep...

Just like Haley did in Arizona with their franchise QB and their WR talent...

Oh, wait...

Arizona fans, and their media aren't obsessed with running the ball like Pittsburgh media and Yinzers are Slap. You can't compare the two.

The MINUTE, Haley calls for three straight RZ passes, and it fails, and they happen to lose a game we both know people will start bitching that they didn't run the ball enough.

Slapstick
05-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Arizona fans, and their media aren't obsessed with running the ball like Pittsburgh media and Yinzers are Slap. You can't compare the two.

The MINUTE, Haley calls for three straight RZ passes, and it fails, and they happen to lose a game we both know people will start bitching that they didn't run the ball enough.

If Haley is that worried about the fans and the media, then he has failed already in Pittsburgh before he has started...

The minute that Haley calls three straight red zone runs, and it fails, people will complain that he didn't pass enough...

Score points and nobody cares how it's done...

Crash
05-23-2012, 11:36 AM
If Haley is that worried about the fans and the media, then he has failed already in Pittsburgh before he has started

Haley? No.

Art II? Absolutely.

RuthlessBurgher
05-23-2012, 12:24 PM

This is all some illusion in your head. If we are truly trying to create this "1975 offense" you keep talking about, then why is the team fine going into the season with 2 UDFA RB's (Redman, Clay), a 7th round RB coming off an injury (Batch), a 6th round RB (Dwyer), and a 5th round scatback/slot receiver/special teams type (Rainey)? If we are somehow creating this neanderthal offense of the past, wouldn't we have responded to our top RB option likely being on the shelf to start the season? In reality, this offense is going to revolve around Ben and his receivers, like his Arizona offense revolved around Warner and his receivers (his K.C. offense was run-based because they had much better talent at RB than at QB/WR there). Haley is going to make it a point to establish some sort of running game in order to get the play action pass game working, but he isn't planning on running and running and running and simply ignoring our top weapons. You conjure up these scenarios in your head, and they haven't even happened yet.

Slapstick
05-23-2012, 12:33 PM
This is all some illusion in your head....You conjure up these scenarios in your head, and they haven't even happened yet.

It's a conspiracy!!

Crash
05-23-2012, 12:38 PM
It's a conspiracy!!

So Colon and Pouncey are BOTH on record saying they are going to run more, and that somehow means we are going to revolve around Ben and the WRs?

If you guys say so.

Here's a hint boys: In 8 years? We established the PASS to set up the run.

You reverse that? This team won't win 8 games.

Sugar
05-23-2012, 12:42 PM
So Colon and Pouncey are BOTH on record saying they are going to run more, and that somehow means we are going to revolve around Ben and the WRs?

If you guys say so.

I thought that they said that there were more running plays than what they had. I didn't take that to mean that they'd be running more- only that they would have more options when they chose to run. I could be mistaken though.

Crash
05-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Pouncey said MORE, especially in the red zone.

Maybe he meant that means they'll pass.

Crash
05-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Per Biles....

Steelers RB Isaac Redman said today that TE/H-Back David Johnston is now strictly a fullback

I guess that means he'll start catching passes out of the backfield with our air attack offense too.

Slapstick
05-23-2012, 01:09 PM
How about what Ben said?

"In these meetings I've had with Coach Haley, he's all about the no-huddle and using our wide-receiver weapons and throwing the ball and stuff like that," Roethlisberger said

Crash
05-23-2012, 01:15 PM
How about what Ben said?

Won't happen. II won't allow it.

RuthlessBurgher
05-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Pouncey said MORE, especially in the red zone.

Maybe he meant that means they'll pass.

There are MORE RUNNING PLAYS AVAILABLE IN THIS NEW PLAYBOOK. Arians would RUTFM or have the LG pull right. That's about it.

After one day of OTA practices, how in the hell would Pouncey know anything about the likelihood of the new offensive coordinator to call more runs or passes in the red zone?

All that they are doing now is introducing the new plays in the playbooks, so Pouncey and Colon are commenting about the variety of new run plays they are seeing now that they hadn't been running in the past.

Slapstick
05-23-2012, 01:24 PM

We'll see in September...

phillyesq
05-23-2012, 01:30 PM

If you guys say so.

When did they make Pouncey the offensive coordinator?

This is the first time these guys have seen the playbook. We're still two months away from training camp.

fordfixer
05-23-2012, 09:44 PM
When did they make Pouncey the offensive coordinator? This is the first time these guys have seen the playbook. We're still two months away from training camp.Who do you think you using logic in this arguement?:p

hawaiiansteel
05-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Ryan Clark and Mike Tomlin shoot verbal jabs across the field at practice

May 23, 2012

Steelers Safety Ryan Clark and Coach Mike Tomlin had a little fun with one another today in practice according to Mark Kaboly. Clark and Tomlin did a little verbal sparring across the field at one another.

Clark was poking fun at the offense and Tomlin was poking fun at Clark. Clark picking at QB Ben Roethlisberger about holding onto the ball. Ryan Clark yelling across field to Tomlin: “If your QBs going to hold on to ball that long, you better draft some more OL in 1st round” Tomlin firing back at Clark. Tomlin “I’m going to draft a safety next year … a free safety.”

This is good stuff. Practice is important but it also needs to be fun. This is still a good group of guys with great chemistry. That is what helps this team overcome some of the short comings they have. It is a unit that even while picking on one another still would go to battle for any guy on this team.

Good to see them having some fun.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/ryan_clark_and_mike_tomlin_shoot_verbal_jabs_acros s_the_field_at_practice/10859660

hawaiiansteel
05-24-2012, 02:51 AM
via twitter:

MarkKaboly_Trib "@EricOreoJohnson how has Toney Clemons looked during OTAs" Dropped a pass today and WR coach tore into him.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/

phillyesq
05-24-2012, 08:48 AM
Who do you think you using logic in this arguement?:p

Crazy, I know. I'll try to keep this to irrational statements based on a distorted perception from now on. :D

RuthlessBurgher
05-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Tomlin “I’m going to draft a safety next year … a free safety.”

:Agree:tt2:Steel:tt1:mrgreen:

Crash
05-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Good. Clark sucks.

ikestops85
05-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Good. Clark sucks.

Do you feel that way about most Pro Bowlers? :roll:

Crash
05-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Do you feel that way about most Pro Bowlers? :roll:

Ryan Clark didn't make the Pro Bowl. He was an INJURY REPLACEMENT after Ed Reed bowed out.

fordfixer
05-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Crazy, I know. I'll try to keep this to irrational statements based on a distorted perception from now on. :D
Thank you for your cooperation. Most of us here are too confused by rational statments, because all we normaly get are random ramblings pulled from someone butt.;)

hawaiiansteel
05-24-2012, 09:44 PM
MarkKaboly_Trib Star via twitter of Day 3 of OTAs:

"WR Juamorris Stewart was today's star. Don't ask because I have no clue who he is, but he looked good."

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/

hawaiiansteel
05-25-2012, 12:27 AM
Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

NT Steve McLendon is listed at 280. He told me today he is 325 -- plenty big enough to fill in until Hamp is healthy

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=68&f=1897&t=9010305&p=2

RuthlessBurgher
05-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

NT Steve McLendon is listed at 280. He told me today he is 325 -- plenty big enough to fill in until Hamp is healthy

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=68&f=1897&t=9010305&p=2

And Casey Hampton is listed at 325. Anyone want to guess how heavy he actually is?

DBR96A
05-25-2012, 12:14 PM

If you seriously believe that, and you don't like the way Art Rooney II is running things, then there are 31 other teams in the NFL for you to choose from.

Crash
05-25-2012, 12:33 PM
If you seriously believe that, and you don't like the way Art Rooney II is running things, then there are 31 other teams in the NFL for you to choose from.

Shut up. Art II is nothing but a two bit lawyer who was handed a team he was given to by his father.

If he wants to be a GM/Coach wanna be? Then grab a head set and start coaching.

ikestops85
05-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Ryan Clark didn't make the Pro Bowl. He was an INJURY REPLACEMENT after Ed Reed bowed out.

So do you feel that way about all Pro Bowl injury replacement players? :roll:

Crash
05-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Clark is supposed to be the last line of defense.

But yet, how many times has he been late getting over on deep passes since we signed him?

As a free safety in pass coverage, he's horrible.

steelz09
05-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Shut up. Art II is nothing but a two bit lawyer who was handed a team he was given to by his father.

If he wants to be a GM/Coach wanna be? Then grab a head set and start coaching.

At least Art II had the balls to make the call to fire Arians.

phillyesq
05-25-2012, 07:01 PM

What, exactly, qualifies you to judge his legal acumen?

Slapstick
05-25-2012, 09:44 PM
What, exactly, qualifies you to judge his legal acumen?

Precisely the same thing that qualifies him to judge AR II's football acumen...

Crash
05-26-2012, 12:06 AM
Precisely the same thing that qualifies him to judge AR II's football acumen...

He'a a lawyer. He's not a "football guy". He was in private law practice for 20 years from ages 30-50.

If he wants to be Jerry Jones II? Do right by Colbert and let him go to a team that will let him do his job.

Slapstick
05-26-2012, 07:33 AM
He'a a lawyer. He's not a "football guy". He was in private law practice for 20 years from ages 30-50.

If he wants to be Jerry Jones II? Do right by Colbert and let him go to a team that will let him do his job.

Or...you could do right by the rest of us and go root for a team that does exactly what you want all the time...

Crash
05-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Or...you could do right by the rest of us and go root for a team that does exactly what you want all the time...

That's your answer? Really? So basically you just admitted that one has to be a blind sheep homer to be qualified to root for this team?

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

If Art is going to be doing Colbert's job, why pay Colbert?

Oviedo
05-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Per Biles....

Steelers RB Isaac Redman said today that TE/H-Back David Johnston is now strictly a fullback

I guess that means he'll start catching passes out of the backfield with our air attack offense too.

How do you draw that conclusion when David Johnson never could catch anyway. Seems like they are just acknowledging his lack of ability to do anything valuable.

Slapstick
05-26-2012, 09:31 AM
That's your answer? Really? So basically you just admitted that one has to be a blind sheep homer to be qualified to root for this team?

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

If Art is going to be doing Colbert's job, why pay Colbert?

Another Ad Hominem argument...bravo...

Crash
05-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Another Ad Hominem argument...bravo...

Perfectly legitimate question. Art's telling Ben how to play his position. Art's firing coaches that his head coach wanted to keep.

If this was Jerry Jones you people would be laughing at him.

Why does Art get a free pass?

Slapstick
05-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Perfectly legitimate question. Art's telling Ben how to play his position. Art's firing coaches that his head coach wanted to keep.

If this was Jerry Jones you people would be laughing at him.

Why does Art get a free pass?

Okay, let's debate the Crash way....

So, Crash, Ben is perfect. There is no possible way that he could ever improve his skills as a QB, because he's perfect. There is no possible way that anyone like Todd Haley could ever design an offense better than Ben, because Ben is perfect. AR II has no right to wan to protect his $100 million investment because Ben is perfect...

Slapstick
05-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Ben has a 100% completion percentage, a perfect TD to INT ratio, 50 YpA and a 150 passer rating...

He doesn't need to improve anything because he wins the Super Bowl every year...

Crash
05-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Okay, let's debate the Crash way....

So, Crash, Ben is perfect. There is no possible way that he could ever improve his skills as a QB, because he's perfect. There is no possible way that anyone like Todd Haley could ever design an offense better than Ben, because Ben is perfect. AR II has no right to wan to protect his $100 million investment because Ben is perfect...

They aren't asking him to improve his skills. They are asking him to CHANGE. They are asking him to change the WAY he plays which was WHY they gave him the money they gave him in the first place.

You improve your SKILLS with a QB Coach, be it Fichtner or even when he went back to George Whitfield during suspension. Little things, fine tuning things, like ball position, footwork, etc. That's how you improve your skills.

For the 100th time, if we are going back to the smash-mouth era and not wanting Ben to "be Ben", then it makes NO SENSE, to pay him the money they are currently giving him.

Just like Troy Polamalu said in 2008 America's Game: "Ben should keep being Ben".

The minute they don't want him to be? You don't employ him anymore.

You don't pay Ben Roethlisberger $15 million A YEAR to be Neil O'Donnell 1992-1994.

Designing an offense is one thing. Telling Ben to not use his God given ability is another thing entirely.

If you don't want Ben to improvise when he feels the need to do so. You replace him. Period.

Slapstick
05-26-2012, 11:19 AM
1) You don't know that. It is mere conjecture on your part.

2) If you are somehow qualified, as a vocal fan, to tell Hall of Famer Dick LeBeau how he should call defense, then AR II is MORE THANqualified to help his employee, potential Hall of Famer Ben Roethlisberger, to perform better and stay healthier...

Crash
05-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Dick LeBeau is in the HOF as a PLAYER. Not a coach.

You are right Slap the defense should just keep playing the same BS 4th quarter scheme it's been using since 2004. Ben will save then when they keep blowing leads doing it.

Oh no he won't, because the way he plays isn't good enough either.

Go read Steelers Digest, they are more your speed.

Crash
05-26-2012, 11:29 AM
They don't want Ben taking hits. That's what tweaking his game meant.

IMO you can't worry about hits. Hits are going to happen, no matter what you do.

Whats ironic is, MOST of the hits Ben has taken in his career? Are IN the pocket. Exactly where they WANT him to stay.

Brilliant!

Slapstick
05-26-2012, 11:29 AM
So, LeBeau's almost 40 years as an acclaimed and innovative coach make him less qualified to call defense than you?

And AR II's two SB rings as President make him less qualified to run his team than you?

If you learned all that from Steelers Digest, I'm not interested in reading that...

Slapstick
05-26-2012, 11:30 AM

IMO you can't worry about hits. Hits are going to happen, no matter what you do.

Whats ironic is, MOST of the hits Ben has taken in his career? Are IN the pocket. Exactly where they WANT him to stay.

Brilliant!

I illustrated how Aaron Rodgers tweaked his game to the tune of fewer sacks and fumbles and how Ben could benefit from the same...

Flasteel
05-26-2012, 11:34 AM
They aren't asking him to improve his skills. They are asking him to CHANGE. They are asking him to change the WAY he plays which was WHY they gave him the money they gave him in the first place.

You improve your SKILLS with a QB Coach, be it Fichtner or even when he went back to George Whitfield during suspension. Little things, fine tuning things, like ball position, footwork, etc. That's how you improve your skills.

For the 100th time, if we are going back to the smash-mouth era and not wanting Ben to "be Ben", then it makes NO SENSE, to pay him the money they are currently giving him.

Just like Troy Polamalu said in 2008 America's Game: "Ben should keep being Ben".

The minute they don't want him to be? You don't employ him anymore. Period.

You don't pay Ben Roethlisberger $15 million A YEAR to be Neil O'Donnell 1992-1994.

You don't know what they are trying to do with Ben. To even try and bend your ridiculous argument based on what we've heard so far, is you trying to fit your opinions, agendas, and allegiances into the same tired box. If any of these things are threatened, you make pointless attacks to try and discredit or deflect...I think someone already nailed you with the ad hominem tag. Money.

We need to be more efficient in the run game. It doesn't necessarily mean run it significantly more. You have to be able to convert short yardage situations and the article posted by the OP already has pointed out the benefit of the play-action pass. You want to talk about setting up the pass with the run? Play-action is the definition of that. Getting safeties and LBs to cheat up or pass rushers to hesitate that extra second are what opens up the big plays down field. I would think your fondness for YPA stat would make you a huge proponent of this CHANGE.

Quit being chicken little and see how it all turns out.

Crash
05-26-2012, 11:36 AM
He's not innovative anymore. That's the problem. His scheme is predictable and stale, especially in the 4th quarter. Watch Capers' 1994 defense, QBs were crapping their pants because they had no idea where the pressure was coming from.

LeBeau's defense has basically two blitzes: ILB's the middle and Troy. And that's IT. Clark's rarely blitzes, corners rarely blitz. If it's nickel defense and first down in the Steelers red zone? Ryan Mundy will blitz.

If I know this sitting in Denver? Their opponents know this also.

Bob Labriola has as many Super Bowl rings as Art II does. I guess he can tell Ben how to play QB also.

Crash
05-26-2012, 11:41 AM
I illustrated how Aaron Rodgers tweaked his game to the tune of fewer sacks and fumbles and how Ben could benefit from the same...

And YOU are assuming that the sacks were Rodgers fault while ignoring the 356 yards rushing he had. He didn't do that staying in the pocket.

If Ben has 356 yards rushing in 2012? Art II will bitch.

Slapstick
05-26-2012, 11:46 AM
And YOU are assuming that the sacks were Rodgers fault while ignoring the 356 yards rushing he had. He didn't do that staying in the pocket.

If Ben has 356 yards rushing in 2012? Art II will bitch.

I'm not ignoring anything...I said that Rodgers tweaked his game, he didn't completely change it...

Which is what AR II said Ben needs to do...

Crash
05-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Which is what AR II said Ben needs to do...

And his meaning of that is apparently not to get hit.

Like I said, hits are going to happen.

If Art can't accept that? Go own the Pirates.

Jooser
05-26-2012, 12:06 PM

Brilliant!

Ask Ben's ankle not to worry about taking hits Crash. Get off the war path and let's see how this shakes out before you blow an artery in your brain. Lay off the sauce and give the board a break, huh?

Slapstick
05-26-2012, 12:12 PM
And his meaning of that is apparently not to get hit.

Like I said, hits are going to happen.

If Art can't accept that? Go own the Pirates. [/COLOR]

Perhaps one of the reasons that Rodgers had 8 more rushing attempts after working on his game was that he occassionally ran more often instead of taking a big hit in the pocket or waiting behind the LoS for a WR to get open so that someone could twist his foot off...

Often, Heath Miller or a RB is open but Ben isn't even looking for them...

Hits are going to happen...it's football...but I fail to see how improving your game and being hit less is a bad thing...

Crash
05-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Ask Ben's ankle not to worry about taking hits Crash.

How about we don't have two WRs running pass patterns, having 7 guys blocking and still give up a sack?

Play design cost Ben's ankle. Our new full time full back missed his block.

So in the last two years Johnson whiffed on a block in the Super Bowl which caused a fumble, and a block in 2011 that injured Ben's ankle.

So what do we do? We tender this schmuck a new contract and our new savior OC creates a new full time position that relies on said blocking of a guy who can't block ME.

Outstanding!

Slapstick
05-26-2012, 12:19 PM
[/COLOR]How about we don't have two WRs running pass patterns, having 7 guys blocking and still give up a sack?

Play design cost Ben's ankle. Our new full time full back missed his block.

So in the last two years Johnson whiffed on a block in the Super Bowl which caused a fumble, and a block in 2011 that injured Ben's ankle.

So what do we do? We tender this schmuck a new contract and our new savior OC creates a new full time position that relies on said blocking of a guy who can't block ME.

Outstanding!

Right! That guy was on top of Ben so fast, he didn't even have time to leave the pocket before his ankle was twisted...

Crash
05-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Often, Heath Miller or a RB is open but Ben isn't even looking for them...

What down is it? What's the distance? If it's 3rd and 10? I don't want him taking a 5 yard dump and walking off the field. Maybe you do?

On 3rd downs? Our RB is usually a blocker, the ONLY times he's not? Is A) When it's a designed quick hitter to him in the flat or when he's lined up in the slot.

Being hit less is what Carson Palmer did against the Jets in the playoffs. I don't want Ben playing that way.

You want him hit less? Then 1st down MUST be close to 50-50% run pass.

Crash
05-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Right! That guy was on top of Ben so fast, he didn't even have time to leave the pocket before his ankle was twisted...

It was a design roll out. And Johnson still whiffed.

He sucks. He sucked for BA, he'll suck for Haley, and he'll suck for whatever team he plays for next.

You want a FB? Go get one. Don't promote a guy to fullback just to please idiots.

Slapstick
05-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Everyone should want Ben hit less...if it's 3rd and 6, Ben needs to learn to take the 8 yard dump off, because right now, he doesn't...if it's 3rd and 8 and Ben has 15 yards of open field in front of him, he needs to learn to get the 1st down and slide so he doesn't take an unnecessary shot...

Everyone should want this...

Crash
05-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Everyone should want Ben hit less...if it's 3rd and 6, Ben needs to learn to take the 8 yard dump off,

To who? Give me names?

Slapstick
05-26-2012, 01:35 PM
To Heath Miller! In 2009, Heath had 70 catches because Ben actually looked for him...

Crash
05-26-2012, 01:40 PM
To Heath Miller!

Was he in the backfield blocking or was he in the slot? You need to PAY ATTENTION, not just read stat sheets.

Heath Miller's production with Ben and Arians isn't a problem. It was a BIGGER problem when Bill Cowher was his coach.

Everyone who loves Haley points to Moeaki's season in 2010 as how Haley should "use" Miller.

Now, look at Moeaki's 2010 season, and compare each season of 2007-2011 Miller.

Revisionist history at it's finest.

Slapstick
05-26-2012, 01:53 PM
Was he in the backfield blocking or was he in the slot? You need to PAY ATTENTION, not just read stat sheets.

Heath Miller's production with Ben and Arians isn't a problem. It was a BIGGER problem when Bill Cowher was his coach.

Everyone who loves Haley points to Moeaki's season in 2010 as how Haley should "use" Miller.

Now, look at Moeaki's 2010 season, and compare each season of 2007-2011 Miller.

Revisionist history at it's finest.

You know, Crash, it's a pretty common occurrence for a TE to release a block and then run a pattern...even Heath does it..

If you paid attention as much as you claim, you may have seen that happen in an NFL game...I can't believe such an astute viewer as you could miss such an elementary thing...

Flasteel
05-26-2012, 02:30 PM
To who? Give me names? [/COLOR]

Isaac Redman appears to have soft hands and in limited opportunities, has looked good.. Look at that TD to win the Ravens game a couple of years ago.

Baron Batch looked phenomenal in catching the ball in college. He's got a long way to go coming back from injury and actually proving it in games, but he seems to be long on potential.

Chris Rainey is the new wild card. We've never had a player with this type of skill set in our backfield. Yeah he's small, but get the ball to him in space and he is nothing short of explosive. He's got incredible change of direction capability and burst coming in and out of his cuts. I can totally see us sneaking him the ball on swing passes, wheel routes, and screens. He can even line-up in the slot or split wide...the dude is a weapon par excellence. I coached against him in high school and am a life-long Gator fan...I've seen what he can do and I can't wait to see it in the Black-n-Gold.

Crash
05-26-2012, 02:52 PM
You know, Crash, it's a pretty common occurrence for a TE to release a block and then run a pattern...even Heath does it..

From the slot? Sure.

From the backfield when he's BLOCKING? He only becomes a target after blocking if Ben BUYS HIM ENOUGH TIME to get out of the backfield and get in position to make a catch.

1:10 in, look at Miller pass blocking like an extra tackle, no chip block, he's backpedaling IN the backfield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWAmqHVmzkY&feature=related

Limas Sweed's big block the game prior, again, no chip block, Miller's pass blocking like a tackle and in the backfield again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVKwkS7XncM

And he did this, constantly. So if it's 1st and 10, and ends up at some point 3 yards behind the LOS? He has to run 13 yards just to get the first down.

But we'll blame Ben for "holding the ball too long" rather than admit Heath Miller has to cover for a poor OL.

In 2009 Miller was dominant, Hines had a good year, Holmes was solid, and Wallace was emerging.

And that wasn't good enough because Coach Art demanded more commitment to the running game rather than admit his defense sucked in the 4th quarter.

You can't demand emphasis on the run, run the ball 58% of the time on first down to satisfy II and expect every pass catcher to get 70 passes.

Someone is going to be left out.

So once again Coach II has a choice: The Yinzer Way. or the CORRECT way, to use the skill this offense has.

Slapstick
05-26-2012, 02:56 PM
And he did this, constantly. So if it's 1st and 10, and ends up at some point 3 yards behind the LOS? He has to run 13 yards just to get the first down.

So? If it's 1st and 10, let Heath gain 5 yards and make it 2nd and 5 instead of 2nd and 10 or worse...He doesn't have to get 10 yards on 1st down...

But, hey, we can just wait for the slow developing 40 yard route to open up downfield and hope Ben can get the pass off before he takes a huge shot...

Crash
05-26-2012, 03:14 PM
So? If it's 1st and 10, let Heath gain 5 yards and make it 2nd and 5 instead of 2nd and 10 or worse...He doesn't have to get 10 yards on 1st down..

He still running EIGHT YARDS, to gain, FIVE because of where he ends up.

Did you not click the links? HE'S GOING BACKWARDS, because he has to help our OL BLOCK.

Slapstick
05-26-2012, 03:35 PM
He still running EIGHT YARDS, to gain, FIVE because of where he ends up.

Did you not click the links? HE'S GOING BACKWARDS, because he has to help our OL BLOCK.

So? He runs 8 yards and gains 5, creating a 2nd and 5...

What's the problem on 1st down?

Crash
05-26-2012, 03:38 PM

And the 3rd and 10 play? If he gains 5 on that play guess what? We lose the Super Bowl.

You win.

hawaiiansteel
05-26-2012, 03:39 PM

or on 3rd and 4...

Crash
05-26-2012, 03:46 PM
So? If it's 1st and 10, let Heath gain 5 yards and make it 2nd and 5 instead of 2nd and 10 or worse...He doesn't have to get 10 yards on 1st down...

On the play I gave you? He needs to get out of bounds. 30 seconds to go in the half and no timeouts.

So you'd rather take 5 yards and let the clock run?

Brilliant.

Like I said, you lack football logic. You look at stats and you ignore SITUATIONS.

Slapstick
05-26-2012, 04:00 PM
On the play I gave you? He needs to get out of bounds. 30 seconds to go in the half and no timeouts.

So you'd rather take 5 yards and let the clock run?

Brilliant.

Like I said, you lack football logic. You look at stats and you ignore SITUATIONS.

If you say so...

I would counter that I was speaking more in generalities than in the specific plays that you cherry pick to prove your point...

Again, another straw man argument...well done...

For someone who claims to have such a mastery of logic, you fall into some of the most common and easily avoidable fallacies...

Crash
05-26-2012, 04:06 PM
I would counter that I was speaking more in generalities than in the specific plays that you cherry pick to prove your point...

The point of those plays was to show Heath Miller playing the role as an extra tackle because the OL sucks. He can't chip and release when he's back pedaling in the backfield.

Slapstick
05-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Fair enough.

If every single offensive snap of every game was a 1st and 10 with :30 on the clock, your argument would be valid.

phillyesq
05-26-2012, 07:04 PM

So the answer is that you have no ability to judge his legal acumen.

Further, by your analysis, somebody is not a "football guy" unless they are employed by an NFL team. I have no idea what you do for a living, but I'm pretty sure you're not employed by an NFL team.

Crash
05-26-2012, 07:27 PM
Fair enough.

If every single offensive snap of every game was a 1st and 10 with :30 on the clock, your argument would be valid.

That's why I showed you 3rd and 10 in the 1st quarter of SB XLIII as well. He did that constantly. I'm sure I can find more.

Now we'll see what the golf coach can do with an offensive line, at least on paper, that's better than ANY that Arians had in his 5 years here.

Crash
05-26-2012, 07:29 PM
So the answer is that you have no ability to judge his legal acumen.

Further, by your analysis, somebody is not a "football guy" unless they are employed by an NFL team. I have no idea what you do for a living, but I'm pretty sure you're not employed by an NFL team.

No, he's not a football guy because unlike Dan Rooney, he didn't grow up around this team.

Dan Rooney earned his living, and made his mark, in the Steelers organization.

Art II didn't. He just happens to be Dan's son.

Slapstick
05-26-2012, 08:20 PM
How long has AR II officially been the President of the Steelers?

How long has Dan Rooney been his father?

How long was the Chief his grandfather?

But, you're right...he probably didn't learn anything from his father, nor his grandfather...nor did he learn anything from his time working for the organization every day...

Crash
05-26-2012, 08:47 PM
But, you're right...he probably didn't learn anything from his father, nor his grandfather...nor did he learn anything from his time working for the organization every day

20 years in private law practice prior to the Steelers.

He's a lawyer. He's not qualified to evaluate football talent, nor tell a HOF QB how to play his position.

Slapstick
05-26-2012, 09:02 PM
20 years in private law practice prior to the Steelers.

He's a lawyer. He's not qualified to evaluate football talent, nor tell a HOF QB how to play his position.

[/COLOR]

I agree...

He is, however, qualified to do something about protecting his $100+ million investment...

He is also qualified to hire football guys, like Tomlin and Haley, to tell the potential HoF QB how to play his position...

Crash
05-26-2012, 09:04 PM
He is also qualified to hire football guys, like Tomlin and Haley, to tell the potential HoF QB how to play his position...

Be he didn't, he's telling THEM how to do their jobs. If Haley wasn't Dick Haley's son we wouldn't have given him the time of day. He's a %^&* psycho.

Slapstick
05-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Psycho or not, he told another potential HoF QB how to do his job...that QB and Haley made it to the SB...

Besides, Tomlin hired Haley...why would AR II care about Dick Haley? According to you, Art had nothing to do with the team until it was handed to him on a silver platter...

Crash
05-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Besides, Tomlin hired Haley

So they claim.

Slapstick
05-26-2012, 09:19 PM
So they claim.

Why would Art do it? You said Art wasn't affiliated with the team until Dan made him president...Dick Haley hasn't worked for the Steelers in decades...

Use all of that LOGIC you've been bragging about...

Crash
05-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Art knows who Haley was dummy. He didn't have to work there not to know who he is.

Dude, don't worry about me and worry about this team.

Where's Mike Doss anyway?

Slapstick
05-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Art knows who Haley was dummy. He didn't have to work there not to know who he is.

Dude, don't worry about me and worry about this team.

Where's Mike Doss anyway?

You still aren't using all of your fabulous logic...

But, nice attempt to deflect by attempting to be insulting...very mature of you...and logical to boot...

Crash
05-27-2012, 01:05 AM
You've been deflecting this whole thread Slap.

Slapstick
05-27-2012, 09:18 AM
If you say so...but, I'm not the guy who resorts to insults and condescension when I can't debate effectively...that's you...

hawaiiansteel
06-01-2012, 01:57 AM
OTAs Week Two Recap Video from Steelers.com - 5/31/12

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/OTAs---Week-Two-Recap/1f4f2815-260a-479c-92a0-9dc2ae0cd17e