PDA

View Full Version : Suisham's FG % was 31st in the league last season

hawaiiansteel
05-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Weekend mailbag: Future for Steelers kicker

May, 19, 2012
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Time to open up some mail, which includes a couple of questions concerning the Pittsburgh kicker.

C from Ontario, Canada, writes: Shaun Suisham grew up close to me and I want him to do well. But I'm a Steeler fan first, so why is he on the team still? He bombed hard last year, his field-goal percentage was 31st in the league last season. Please tell me this young guy can beat Shaun out! Or at least the Steelers will do something.

Dennis from Clermont, Fla.: Jamison, when will the Steelers get serious about needing a kicker? With a team that has a defense that can always keep games close, an above average kicker is a necessity, but the team never invests in that position.

Jamison Hensley from AFC North headquarters responds: There has to be some surprise that the Steelers didn't bring in serious competition to take on Suisham. Pittsburgh recently worked out Dave Rayner, another less-than-stellar veteran, but it didn't sign him. While no kicker for the Steelers will ever rank high in field-goal percentage, because half of his games are at challenging Heinz Field, Suisham struggled on the road as well. He made 9 of 13 kicks beyond 30 yards away from home (69 percent).

This lack of consistency in the kicking game can become a problem, especially if the Steelers can't improve on being the 18th-ranked red-zone offense. The only competition for Suisham is Danny Hrapmann, an undrafted rookie out of Southern Mississippi. He connected on 67.6 percent (23 of 34) of his field goals last season. In other words, he's not a real threat to Suisham. The Steelers should have looked at a veteran like Neil Rackers, who since signed with Washington. Pittsburgh should be more concerned about its kicker situation.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/48491/weekend-mailbag-future-for-steelers-kicker

NottinghamForest_UK
05-19-2012, 04:40 PM
WOW you mean he wasn't last! I wonder who he beat out

RuthlessBurgher
05-19-2012, 05:11 PM

The only veteran kicker we brought in for a look-see during this free agency period...the immortal Dave Rayner. Suisham is bad, and Rayner is worse. The UDFA kicker we brought in after the draft (Grant Kessel) is bad, and the new UDFA kicker we brought in to replace him already (Danny Hrapmann) is worse. It's almost as if Mike Tomlin's strategy for improving our red zone offense is being able to go up to our QB and say, "Ben, you know our FG kicker sucks! We need to score a TD here or we are SCREWED!!!" (and then hope he responds better). As Elton John might say, it's a sad, sad situation, and it's getting more and more absurd. We need to bring in Ryan Longwell now.

The only other option is to wait for training camp cutdowns to happen (the Skins have Graham Gano and Neil Rackers on its roster, the Jets have Josh Brown and Nick Folk on its roster...two of those guys will be looking for work after rosters are cut down to 53).

Flasteel
05-19-2012, 05:23 PM
We have some question marks with rookies starting and Colon at a new position, but kicker is the only real hole on this team. Let's just hope it's not a sink hole.

steelerkeylargo
05-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Kai Forbath will likely be cut from TB as well.

hawaiiansteel
05-19-2012, 06:34 PM

ironically the only kicker with a worse FG % last season than Suisham was the only veteran kicker we have brought in so far for a tryout, Dave Rayner.

i guess the Steelers coaches couldn't believe that there was actually a NFL kicker worse than Suisham and wanted to see what that would look like in person.

steelerkeylargo
05-19-2012, 06:38 PM
David buehler should be worth a look too. Buehler.....Buehler!!!

SidSmythe
05-19-2012, 08:01 PM
ironically the only kicker with a worse FG % last season than Suisham was the only veteran kicker we have brought in so far for a tryout, Dave Rayner.

i guess the Steelers coaches couldn't believe that there was actually a NFL kicker worse than Suisham and wanted to see what that would look like in person.

:lol::lol::lol:

steelnavy
05-20-2012, 06:05 AM

:D:D:D
Dude, thats funny!

Seriously though, there should be some good cast offs prior to the start of the season. Maybe the front office is just waiting to see how they all do and make an offer to the best one?

Discipline of Steel
05-20-2012, 08:05 AM
Just for fun, lets compare our Suisham with Janikowski...

0-19
Sui 2-2
Jan 1-1

20-29
Sui 8-8
Jan 8-8

So far so good

30-39
Sui 6-8
Jan 5-5

Getting a little shaky...

40-49
Sui 6-11
Jan 10-11

Blown out of the water.

50+
Sui 1-2
Jan 7-10

Demonstrating a lack of faith by our coach. I know its unfair to compare to Sebastian Janikowski but Suisham was awful.
Combine FG kicking with our red zone offense and I think scoring points after we get the ball down in opposing territory was a real weakness last year.

RuthlessBurgher
05-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Kai Forbath will likely be cut from TB as well.

Good call...Kai Forbath was to kickers in the last draft as Drew Butler is to punters in this draft...both considered by many pundits to be the #2 kicker/punter in their respective drafts, but then surprisingly went undrafted. Forbath was originally signed by Dallas as an UDFA after the 2011 draft, and spent his rookie year on I.R. After fellow undrafted rookie Dan Bailey went 32-36 in 2011 (including 24 FG's made in a row...imagine that, Steeler fans), Forbath was waived a month ago and was claimed by Tampa, as insurance in case they were unable to sign the franchised Connor Barth to a long term deal. Well, two days ago, the Bucs signed Barth to a 4 year, $13.2 million contract, so Forbath should be hitting the market again soon, I would imagine.

NorthCoast
07-21-2012, 12:45 PM
Even if Sushi was perfect last season, the total additional points would have only moved the Steelers from 22nd scoring Offense to 20th. We need TDs!!!!!

Ghost
07-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Give Jeff Reed a call. Nothing to lose and guarantee he would be cheap. He sucks and you cut him with no harm done.