PDA

View Full Version : Max Starks according to Sirius today

pittpete
05-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Dont know if anyone else heard this but a caller asked about Max Starks today.
They said he was in the best shape of his life,looked really healthy for a guy after surgery and his upperbody was well defined.
Just putting it out there.
Could make this team in place of Scott as a swing tackle.

steelz09
05-18-2012, 10:55 PM
It's possible if Adams isn't ready, I wouldn't mind Starks playing. He's still relatively young, just turning 30. Surprisingly, because he seems like he's been here forever.

I wouldn't even be surprised if Starks comes back as a backup.

pittpete
05-18-2012, 11:06 PM
Adams,Colon,Pouncey,DeCastro,Gilbert
Starks,Essex,Legursky,Foster
2 backup tackles,3 backup guards & 3 backup centers
Lot of versatility with this group of subs.
Not looking to shabby if we get Starks back...
It is a well known fact that Max loves the city of Pittsburgh as well as the Steelers even though hes been cut and benched.

pittpete
05-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Man is looking thin

TD386Steel
05-18-2012, 11:15 PM
Love to have Max back. He is our security blanket if Adam isnt ready.

hawaiiansteel
05-19-2012, 01:18 AM
FRIDAY, 18 MAY 2012

WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

--- Many people have asked me if the Steelers plan to re-sign Max Starks, who had ACL surgery in January. I was told they would look at him again in June to see what kind of shape he’s in and how his recovery is coming along. I was told that before the draft and really have not talked to anyone about him since then. They have nothing to lose by taking a look at Starks but I don’t know if they want him as a backup. They do have depth at tackle when you consider Jonathan Scott along with Trai Essex and even Colon.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...team-of-21st-c (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116414-ed-steelers-all-defense-team-of-21st-c)

hawaiiansteel
05-19-2012, 01:50 AM
Starks awaits another chance in NFL

by Mark Kaboly - Tribune Review
Saturday, May 19.2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=4ihfB 0VlzGxmWwK3UdY5Cs$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYtsucVqF8xSqc0 vz0qZfJSHWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

The Steelers' Max Starks back in the fold during practice on the South Side Oct/ 5, 2011. (Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review)

Here are the Steelers’ current left tackle options:

Player Age Ht Wt G GS

Max Starks* 30 6-8 345 107 79

Jonathan Scott 29 6-6 310 59 29

Trai Essex 29 6-4 324 75 28

Mike Adams 22 6-7 323 0 0

* — Unrestricted free agent

When the Steelers decided to move Willie Colon to left guard and keep Marcus Gilbert at right tackle, the one person they didn’t have in mind to fill the void at left tackle was Max Starks.

The veteran free agent has yet to be contacted by the Steelers, seemingly further solidifying the team’s intentions of giving rookie second-round pick Mike Adams every opportunity of winning the left tackle job in training camp.

“I have not had contact with management or anybody like that,” Starks said Friday while on his way to rehab his surgically repaired knee in Phoenix. “I guess eventually I will hear something from them … or maybe not.”

The Steelers seem intent on revamping their offensive line, even if that means doing something they rarely do: Start rookie offensive linemen.

The Steelers have started a rookie up front to open the season three times since the 1970 merger — Tom Ricketts in 1989, Marvel Smith in 2000 and Maurkice Pouncey in 2010.

They could have two — Adams and first-round pick David DeCastro — in the starting lineup Week 1 in Denver.

The Steelers plan to have Adams, Jonathan Scott and Trai Essex battle for the starting left tackle spot during camp.

“As for myself, I don’t see (me being a part of that battle) unless there is something I don’t know,” Starks said.

Starks likely won’t be ready for the start of training camp anyway.

It’s been about four months since Dr. James Bradley repaired the ACL Starks tore in his right knee during the wild-card playoff loss to Denver.

“I am pretty good, actually,” Starks said. “I am starting lateral work movement with my ACL, and everything is moving along nicely.”

Starks has a follow-up visit with Bradley soon during which he will get a better grasp on how far along he is. An ACL tear typically carries a nine-month recovery. With that time frame, Starks would be ready close to opening week.

“It would be pushing it to be in training camp,” Starks said. “It is not unfeasible. Athletes push it to be ready in six months, but my mindset is to be ready to play by Week 1. That’s a realistic goal for me.”

If Adams doesn’t catch on quickly, the Steelers could call on Starks like they did last season.

Starks was cut two days before training camp in a salary dump. After struggling up front during the first month, the Steelers signed Starks heading into Week 5. Starks started the remaining nine games at left tackle and played well.

Starks doesn’t know whether, if called upon again, he could replicate last season’s performance, mostly because of having a new offensive coordinator in Todd Haley.

“I would need a week or so to get the plays down and the terminology,” Starks said. “It would be a different situation even coming back to the Steelers. I just want to get healthy and play for somebody. I have the mindset of rehabbing and make sure my knee is in the best possible shape and be ready to go when someone calls.”

As for the Steelers making that call?

“If the situation arises, it is something that I would definitely be interested in,” Starks said.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1820967-85/starks-steelers-camp-ready-tackle-adams-training-week-acl-offensive

Oviedo
05-19-2012, 06:15 AM
Not being there to learn the new offense will be challenge and will make it difficult for him to do what he did last year. They need to get him in sooner rather than later.

MeetJoeGreene
05-19-2012, 08:53 AM
“I would need a week or so to get the plays down and the terminology,” Starks said. “

... Either he is a friggin genius or doesn't know how complex the new playbook is yet! :D

RuthlessBurgher
05-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Last year, you didn't have Starks until week 5, but he saved your season.

This year, he's injured and may not be ready for the start of the season.

Why not sign him now to a minimal one year deal, let him learn the new system during OTA's, and if his ACL prevents him from being able to go from day one, just have him start the year on PUP like Mendenhall. We'd then be guaranteed to have him after 6 weeks this year (not all that different that lucking into him still being available in week 5 last year).

pittpete
05-19-2012, 03:38 PM
I like ur thinking Ruthless

Flasteel
05-19-2012, 03:58 PM

Why not sign him now to a minimal one year deal, let him learn the new system during OTA's, and if his ACL prevents him from being able to go from day one, just have him start the year on PUP like Mendenhall. We'd then be guaranteed to have him after 6 weeks this year (not all that different that lucking into him still being available in week 5 last year).

Agreed 100%. Why have J. Scott and Essex battle the rookie, when a guy who was clearly superior to both of them is right there. If Adams struggles, then we are in the same position at LT that we were in last year before Starks came in. We almost lost Max to the Vikings and he clearly wants to play somewhere, so we can't sit around too long. However, I think he'd have to medically cleared before signing a contract and that won't be happening any time soon.

hawaiiansteel
05-19-2012, 08:32 PM
Trai Essex and Jonathan Scott to compete with Mike Adams, Starks not contacted

May 19th, 2012

The Steelers have a vacant left tackle position at the moment. The best bet is that Mike Adams is going to fill that void. He will have competition at that spot according to Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review. Veterans Jonathan Scott and Trai Essex will compete with Adams for the starting spot.

I do not like when guys are handed jobs without winning them out. Even if I want Adams to start and am excited about it he needs to compete for the spot. Competition in camp is a good thing. To me though even with competition what this says is it is Adams job to lose.

We saw how awful Jonathan Scott was last season. The Steelers pulled Max Starks off the street just to get Scott out of the line up. What made it worse was that Scott was given the job last year. He had no competition. Gilbert was not ready and still is not ready to play left tackle. He is a right tackle and there was no one else left on the roster. I do not even have Scott making the team this year. He is not on my 53 man roster.

Essex is a good back up. He is not a starter in this league though. He is a good enough stop gap when a player gets injured but can not be a full time guy. If could have been he would already be that guy. So really this is Adams job if he wants it. The other prospects are not up to the task of a starting left tackle.

The other option the Steelers have is Max Starks. Starks has yet to be contacted by the team though. Starks does not see himself being in the mix for the Steelers left tackle position. He also does not plan to be ready to play in training camp. He is shooting to be fully healthy by week 1.

The Steelers could do what they did last season though. They could see how Adams does and if he struggles they could reach out to Starks and bring him back. It is unlikely Starks will be signed by anyone before the season starts. He is still recovering and until teams can work him out fully he most likely will not get a job. So he should be out there if need be.

Mike Adams is going to be the starting left tackle for this team though. He would have to really screw up not to start for this team. It is his job to lose.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2012/05/19/trai-essex-and-jonathan-scott-to-compete-with-mike-adams-starks-not-contacted/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedBlackAndGold+(Bleed+Blac k+and+Gold)

Shawn
05-19-2012, 10:33 PM
I would much rather have a healthy Starks starting over Adams. I think fans and Bens backside are in for a rude awakening. Adams was crazy inconsistent in college. What makes anyone think he is ready to start LT in the pros?

Shoe
05-19-2012, 11:00 PM
While I agree that he solidified (possibly saved) our season, and he proved me wrong BIG-TIME last year... and he's proven me wrong his whole career... and it probably wouldn't be much to bring him back... and Ben's his buddy...

I guess I'm saying it makes sense, but I still wouldn't invite him back. And for the record, I can't recall the last time I saw a OL get abused like I saw Aldon Smith (a rookie) abuse him last year.

hawaiiansteel
05-20-2012, 01:13 AM
Max Starks hasn’t heard from the Steelers

Posted by Mike Florio on May 19, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/103734698_crop_650x440.jpg?w=250

Veteran offensive lineman Max Starks, who tore an ACL during the Steelers’ playoff loss to the Broncos, is a free agent. And he has heard nothing from the only team with which he ever has played.

Or, presumably, any other team.

As to the Steelers, Starks isn’t expecting the phone to ring. Mike Adams, Jonathan Scott, and Trai Essex are expected to vie for the left tackle position. “As for myself, I don’t see [me being a part of that battle] unless there is something I don’t know,” Starks told Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Last year, the Steelers cut Starks as the real games approached. But they came calling a month into the season, and Starks started each of the remaining 12 regular-season games. This year, however, it wouldn’t be as easy for Starks to step right in.

“I would need a week or so to get the plays down and the terminology,” Starks said. “It would be a different situation even coming back to the Steelers. I just want to get healthy and play for somebody. I have the mindset of rehabbing and make sure my knee is in the best possible shape and be ready to go when someone calls.”

It’s unknown whether anyone would want Starks if he were healthy. With offseason rosters increased from 80 to 90 this year, it’s hard to imagine he wouldn’t at least be in camp.

Due to the knee, he likely will have to continue to wait. With former Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians now in Indianapolis, maybe the Colts will be the ones to eventually make the call.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/19/max-starks-hasnt-heard-from-the-steelers/

DukieBoy
05-20-2012, 09:28 AM
Guessing they will bring Max back. Reasons why not are injury and money, reasons why is that they will need him while the Rook learns NFL football. I think they'll figure out the $$$ and bring him back.

phillyesq
05-20-2012, 09:56 AM

The handling of Starks by the Steelers has always baffled me and continues to baffle me. Why not call to check in on where he is with his rehab?

I think it makes a lot of sense to bring him back, or at a minimum, open a dialogue with him. On talent alone, I prefer Starks to Scott. When you throw in the fact that Scott is making over $2 million and Starks could likely be had for the veteran minimum again, it is really a no brainer, as long as Starks is healthy.

Shawn
05-20-2012, 08:34 PM
I totally agree Philly.

fordfixer
05-20-2012, 08:49 PM
I agree with Shawn agreeing with Philly

Discipline of Steel
05-21-2012, 12:06 AM

The Steeler front office must have someone lurking the message boards in case a knowledgable fan comes up with a good idea.
And that is a good idea. They finally listened to us and put Colon at guard, Im sure Starks will get a call soon. :D

ikestops85
05-21-2012, 12:08 PM

I agree with fordfixer and Shawn but not Philly. I never agree with anybody from Philly. :moon

:lol::lol:

hawaiiansteel
05-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Free agent Max Starks expects to be cleared around camp time

Posted by Evan Silva on May 26, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/max-starks-pic.jpg?w=250

The Steelers signed free agent tackle Max Starks off the street in early October of last season, and he solidified Pittsburgh’s left tackle position before a torn ACL ended his season in January. Starks has been rehabbing this spring, and he wants to keep playing football.

Starks is currently an unrestricted free agent.

On Saturday, Starks informed ESPN’s Josina Anderson that he’s “just about two months away” from receiving medical clearance to resume football activities. Training camp starts in two months, so the timelines conveniently coincide.

Starks is only 30 years old and a capable starter when healthy. He could be on Steelers G.M. Kevin Colbert’s speed dial in case rookie Mike Adams struggles in August practices and preseason games.

Starks also has ties to the coaching staffs in Arizona and Indianapolis. He can play both left and right tackle.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/26/free-agent-max-starks-expects-to-be-cleared-around-camp-time/

Crash
05-26-2012, 03:33 PM
I don't know if he'd be willing to come in as a backup for this team. Especially for a rookie OT.

Now another team? I could see it.

RuthlessBurgher
05-26-2012, 05:24 PM
I don't know if he'd be willing to come in as a backup for this team. Especially for a rookie OT.

Now another team? I could see it.

He wouldn't necessarily come in as a backup, though. I think there would be legit competition between Starks and Adams (which, frankly, I think Starks would win, if healthy of course). I would rather Adams be the swing tackle and a rookie rather than have a job handed to him. The competition between Adams and also-rans like Scott and Essex right now is a farce.

RuthlessBurgher
06-04-2012, 04:12 PM
From Fox Sports' Len Pasquarelli (Updated Jun 3, 2012 11:23 PM ET):

*A few teams have stayed in contact with veteran offensive tackle Max Starks — who basically rescued the Pittsburgh line last season, but sustained an ACL injury in the team's playoff loss at Denver — to keep tabs on his rehabilitation.

Starks could be a July signing, or a safety net for a club that either suffers an injury or lacks depth at tackle. But he isn't likely to return to the Steelers again.

The Steelers appear ready to go with second-round rookie Mike Adams (Ohio State) at left tackle or, if he fails, move second-year right tackle Marcus Gilbert (13 starts as a rookie in 2011) over to the left side.

In fact, before the team grabbed Adams, the plan was to transition Gilbert to the left side, which he played most of his college career.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Robert-Griffin-Andrew-Luck-Washington-Redskins-Indianapolis-Colts-not-signed-deals-yet-060112

Oviedo
06-04-2012, 04:33 PM

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Robert-Griffin-Andrew-Luck-Washington-Redskins-Indianapolis-Colts-not-signed-deals-yet-060112

I'll believe it when it is the end of the 2012 season and Starks hasn't been resigned.

Flasteel
06-04-2012, 04:35 PM

If you believe that Adams is your long-term answer at LT and Gilbert at RT, then this is a mistake in my opinion. Let Max battle the rookie for the starting job and be there to back him up, if he loses out.

pittpete
06-04-2012, 06:06 PM
If you believe that Adams is your long-term answer at LT and Gilbert at RT, then this is a mistake in my opinion
The Steelers probably dont know what their doing then because I could've swore thats why he was drafted.
You can tell thius w/o the guy playing 1 single snap?
You have tonights lotto numbers by any chance?:p

Flasteel
06-04-2012, 07:15 PM
The Steelers probably dont know what their doing then because I could've swore thats why he was drafted.
You can tell thius w/o the guy playing 1 single snap?
You have tonights lotto numbers by any chance?:p

What in the hell are you talking about Pete?:confused:

I was just saying that if the coaching staff drafted Adams to play LT (which by all indications they did) and they also envision Gilbert as the answer at RT, then it would be a mistake to have Gilbert as the fallback option at LT. I realize there is minicamp and all of training camp to determine who will start where and Starks can't even enter the picture until training camp at the earliest.

First of all, I think Adams needs to be pushed for the job. Call me crazy, but I think that Max would present more of a challenge than Trai Essex or Jon Scott. You could make an argument that Adams could be pushed for the LT spot by Gilbert, but that would mean Adams would then be potentially be battling the same duo for the RT spot...while your former starter at RT is being experimented with at guard the entire offseason.

Secondly, if Adams does win the starting LT job and is injured...what then? We move our RT o the left, move Colon back to RT? Start Scott or Essex there at RT long term?

Sorry.

I'd rather have Starks there to step in and keep every other position stable. I just hope we bring him back once he's medically cleared to play. It was a mistake that nearly cost us last year, so it's no stretch to consider it a mistake to do it again.

fezziwig
06-04-2012, 10:22 PM
If Max is in shape I would like to see him back. Possibly good security for the o-line. Didn't Max play at gue=ard his rookie season ?

hawaiiansteel
06-05-2012, 02:24 AM
Max Starks not expected back with Steelers

Posted by Evan Silva on June 4, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/max-starks-pic-e1338810421760.jpg?w=208

In our Saturday post discussing the top-ten free agents remaining on the market, we suggested free agent tackle Max Starks as a fallback option in Pittsburgh should rookie Mike Adams not prove up to the task of protecting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s blind side.

Per FOX Sports’ Len Pasquarelli, Starks “isn’t likely to return to the Steelers again.”

Pasquarelli reports that “a few teams” have stayed in contact with Starks while he rehabs a torn ACL. Starks is expected to be medically cleared in two months.

Pasquarelli doesn’t have the names of teams interested in Starks, but the 30-year-old tackle has coaching staff ties in Indianapolis (Bruce Arians) and Arizona (Russ Grimm).

The Vikings also showed interest in Starks last September.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/04/max-starks-not-expected-back-with-steelers/

pittpete
06-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Sorry Flasteel,I misread your post then..

Flasteel
06-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Sorry Flasteel,I misread your post then..

It's all good brohamma.

hawaiiansteel
06-15-2012, 03:40 AM
Kevin Colbert Open To Bringing Back Max Starks When He Is Healthy

Thursday, June 14th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

The Pittsburgh Steelers wrapped up their mandatory mini-camp on Thursday and General Manager Kevin Colbert joined 105.9 The X afterwards to answer several questions.

One of the questions that Colbert was asked pertained to free agent tackle Max Starks, who continues to rehab his surgically repaired right knee after tearing his ACL in the AFC Wild Card Game against the Denver Broncos. Colbert was specifically asked if Starks was still considered as an option in 2012 as a backup. "Yeah, we've communicated with Max. He was in here about a month ago to get examined by our doctors," said Colbert. "He knows that it's a possibility that we could bring him back, and first and foremost for Max and his career, he has to make sure that he's healthy. And that was our message to him is 'Max, there's no hurry for you to come back and to do this right away. We can start and see where things go.' We'll continue to be in touch with him throughout the spring."

From the sound of things, Colbert and the coaching staff seem dead set on first seeing how things go with second round draft pick Mike Adams early on in training camp. Adams hit the field for the first time since rookie camp this week after missing all of the OTA sessions because of NFL rules that prevented him practicing until his school obligations were completed. The Steelers hope that the Ohio State product can win the starting left tackle spot outright.

Marcus Gilbert also had his share of reps with the first team over the course of the last four weeks just in case Adams does not pan out early on. Also receiving reps at left tackle the last month were Jonathan Scott and Trai Essex, but neither of the two would figure to be an option to be left side starters. At this point it continues to seem like it will be either Adams or Gilbert that will man the blindside of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Starks could possibly be an option to be signed a couple weeks into camp if he is healthy and cleared by the doctors. The former third round draft pick updated his status on Twitter Thursday to say that today was his first day working on cutting drills in cleats. He claims that he getting closer to being game ready. Will he be ready for the start of camp? Hard to say right now, but even if he was close, he could be signed and placed on the ACTIVE PUP list if he is on the roster before the start of camp. That scenario would at least allow him to learn the offense initially. The only problem with that idea is that players are not normally signed unless they are first cleared medically. Tight end Jake Ballard was an exception to the norm after being signed off waivers by the New England Patriots this past week despite having a long recovery ahead him.

Roethlisberger broke out the No. 78 jersey last Thursday in honor of Starks and said at that time he thinks his close friend and draft classmate was close to being healthy. The veteran signal caller was asked specifically about Starks being a potential emergency option at tackle this upcoming season. "I would think so," said Roethlisberger. "I think the question is is he healthy? And I think he is from what I’ve heard and from what I’ve seen from him. So I think he would be a guy that if we need to we could get him back."

So basically we know now that on top of Starks wanting to come back and Roethlisberger wanting him back, that Colbert is also open to bringing him back.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/kevin_colbert_open_to_bringing_back_max_starks_whe n_he_is_healthy/11016197

RuthlessBurgher
06-15-2012, 11:25 AM
The team could open up a couple million bucks by cutting Jon Scott...

If healthy, I'd rather have Max Starks starting at LT instead of Adams this year. Let Adams man the backup swing tackle spot as a rookie before taking over full time next year.

Starters: Starks-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert
Backups: Adams-Legursky-Foster-Essex (Beachum on the P.S.)

Steel Life
06-15-2012, 11:35 AM
I'd rather have a recuperating Starks over a healthy Jon Scott any day...at least Starks could help either Adams or Gilbert about the position.

Crash
06-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Leave Jon Scott alone. He's a Steeler and he tries his best. You think it's so easy? You go do it.

Negative heathens.

flippy
06-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Can Max play C?

RuthlessBurgher
06-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Can Max play C?

Max Unger in Seattle can.

Also, Max Talbot can play some center (and also wing too). ;)

Crash
06-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Max Talbot plays hockey.

Please refrain from going off topic.

steelz09
06-15-2012, 12:22 PM

If healthy, I'd rather have Max Starks starting at LT instead of Adams this year. Let Adams man the backup swing tackle spot as a rookie before taking over full time next year.

That's a solid line. Starks is still young... only 30 w/ a ton of T experience. I wouldn't push the Adams starting at LT too far. If he can do it.. and do it well then fine. I just don't want him winning by 'default' especially when he'll be facing the best pass rushers in the league on the left side. I would have no problem having Starks back for 1 year especially as a security blanket.

Oviedo
06-15-2012, 12:45 PM

100% agree. Starks is far better than he has ever been given credit for. No reason to push Adams and then react to the crisis that he isn't ready. I really think Beachum may displace someone and be on the Final 53.

hawaiiansteel
06-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Leave Jon Scott alone. He's a Steeler and he tries his best.

http://demotivationalblog.com/demotivational/2009/03/failure-when-your-best-just-isnt-good-enough.jpg

hawaiiansteel
06-30-2012, 01:06 AM
Max Starks Almost Back To 100%?

Friday, June 29th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

If you have been reading the site all off-season you know that I have been keeping close tabs on the ACL rehab of free agent tackle Max Starks. It has been a few weeks now, but Starks has made sure to give updates every few weeks of his progress after tearing the ACL in his right knee in the Steelers AFC Wild Card game.

Friday Starks tweeted that he generated peak force during his squat workout today and that he is feeling close to normal again. He also posted that he is back on the practice field doing his first true pass sets and that it feels good to almost be back at 100%. I asked Starks this past Wednesday via Twitter how the knee was coming along and if he thought that he would be ready by the time training camp started and he replied, "I believe so, but it takes more than just me to believe it."

This is certainly good news and Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert let it be known two weeks ago that he is open to bringing back the Steelers 2004 third round pick during an interview on 105 The X. "He knows that it's a possibility that we could bring him back, and first and foremost for Max and his career, he has to make sure that he's healthy," said Colbert. And that was our message to him is 'Max, there's no hurry for you to come back and to do this right away. We can start and see where things go.' We'll continue to be in touch with him throughout the spring."

Starks has said in previous interviews this off-season that he has every intention of playing in 2012 and that he hopes it is back in Pittsburgh. Several of his teammates are hoping for that as well, most notably of which is quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who stays in close communication with Starks still.

The next few weeks will likely give us a better idea of where Starks is at in his rehab in relation to the start of training camp and hopefully he will continue to update his progress. The Steelers report to Latrobe four weeks from this past Wednesday and currently have one open spot on their 90 man roster. Are they saving it for Starks? Time will tell.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/max_starks_almost_back_to_100/11121851

Shawn
07-01-2012, 11:09 PM
That's good news. Adams needs a couple seasons to develop. I anticipate a nightmare on the left side if Starks isn't healthy.

Discipline of Steel
07-02-2012, 06:55 AM
It would be nice to know Adams Wunderlic score but alas, that is not to be the case.

http://www.footballnation.com/content/roger-goodell-leak-wonderlic-results-feel-my-wrath/14236/

Roger Goodell: Leak Wonderlic Results; Feel my Wrath

Roger Goodell has warned all 32 teams around the league that if Wonderlic test results are leaked, they will face significant discipline.

The Wonderlic test, is a timed test that is used to determine the "IQ" of an indivdual player, or measure their overall cognitive ability. The individual taking the test has 12 minutes to answer 50 questions of various subjects. The Wonderlic test itself is generally associated with the NFL since the 1970s, but it is also a common test for employers around the country for screening job applicants during the pre-interview process.

Some argue that the Wonderlic test is an unnecessary and outdated test for college players who are entering the Draft or are invited to participate at the NFL Combine. Most players likely score low on their first attempt and usually take it a second time. There is no such thing as a pass or fail on a Wonderlic test, but the closest score to 50 means that particular person is theoretically smart. An average Wonderlic score usually measures around 22.

Interestingly enough, the highest Wonderlic scores are among players who are tied with mediocrity and have only had average NFL careers if not below average. Ryan Fitzpatrick scored a near perfect 48, while players such as Drew Brees and Peyton Manning both scored a 28. Even Dan Marino scored only a 16 on his first try, while still going on to be an NFL Hall of Famer.

Based on the Wonderlic, does that mean that Ryan Fitzpatrick is a better football mind than Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and even Dan Marino? Some teams and scouts value Wonderlic scores highly, but what if Peyton Manning would have scored a 10 or lower? Does that mean he should go in the 5th round of the NFL Draft?

If Roger Goodell wants to fine teams for leaking such information to the public, then fine. The public has the right to know Wonderlic scores associated with their favorite players just as they have the right to know how fast a certain player runs the 40-yard dash. This is just another wave of uneccesary threats that the commissoner uses to throw his weight and authority around the league.

hawaiiansteel
07-05-2012, 12:34 AM
Former Pittsburgh Steelers Offensive Tackle Max Starks is Healthly, Could Again Add Stability to Offensive Line

Submitted by Syndicated sources on July 4, 2012

For Pittsburgh Steelers fans, these past few weeks have been crawling along at a snail's pace as the team prepares for training camp. While there has been some tidbits dropped on the Mike Wallace situation and there have been a couple of small transactions, no sweeping news has truly become known. Although, if fans can read between some lines and look closely at social media outlets such as twitter, they may expect to see a roster move shortly. At the end of last week on twitter, veteran offensive tackle (and Ben Roethlisberger favorite) Max Starks announced he was working on pass protection and felt he was near 100 percent. Something that should ring as music to the ears of Steelers fans across Steeler Nation.

Last season, Starks was instrumental in stabilizing the offensive line once he returned to the team. In fact, one can argue that without him, the Steelers would not have made it to the playoffs in 2011. Unfortunately, his season (like the Steelers) came to a painful end in Denver during the playoffs when he tore his ACL. Yes, Starks is not the greatest offensive tackle, but honestly, he is potentially a better option than veteran Trai Essex or rookie Mike Adams in the starting line up, especially if he can transition back to right tackle where he started his career after being a third round selection from Florida.

For us at Steelers 101, we have been talking about the team signing Starks and releasing veteran Jonathan Scott since early May when we did our offensive line preview and with the news of Starks returning to the practice field, it seems like that is a possibility. In addition, according to our calculations, the Steelers currently have one open roster spot after releasing quarterback Troy Smith and linebacker Brandon Lindsey.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/former_pittsburgh_steelers_offensive_tackle_max_st arks_is_healthly_could_again_add_stability_to_offe nsive_line/11154146

Oviedo
07-05-2012, 07:37 AM
Former Pittsburgh Steelers Offensive Tackle Max Starks is Healthly, Could Again Add Stability to Offensive Line

Submitted by Syndicated sources on July 4, 2012

For Pittsburgh Steelers fans, these past few weeks have been crawling along at a snail's pace as the team prepares for training camp. While there has been some tidbits dropped on the Mike Wallace situation and there have been a couple of small transactions, no sweeping news has truly become known. Although, if fans can read between some lines and look closely at social media outlets such as twitter, they may expect to see a roster move shortly. At the end of last week on twitter, veteran offensive tackle (and Ben Roethlisberger favorite) Max Starks announced he was working on pass protection and felt he was near 100 percent. Something that should ring as music to the ears of Steelers fans across Steeler Nation.

Last season, Starks was instrumental in stabilizing the offensive line once he returned to the team. In fact, one can argue that without him, the Steelers would not have made it to the playoffs in 2011. Unfortunately, his season (like the Steelers) came to a painful end in Denver during the playoffs when he tore his ACL. Yes, Starks is not the greatest offensive tackle, but honestly, he is potentially a better option than veteran Trai Essex or rookie Mike Adams in the starting line up, especially if he can transition back to right tackle where he started his career after being a third round selection from Florida.

For us at Steelers 101, we have been talking about the team signing Starks and releasing veteran Jonathan Scott since early May when we did our offensive line preview and with the news of Starks returning to the practice field, it seems like that is a possibility. In addition, according to our calculations, the Steelers currently have one open roster spot after releasing quarterback Troy Smith and linebacker Brandon Lindsey.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/former_pittsburgh_steelers_offensive_tackle_max_st arks_is_healthly_could_again_add_stability_to_offe nsive_line/11154146

I hope that they do sign him. He would be a great mentor for Adams both on the field and how to be a class act as a member of the team.

phillyesq
07-05-2012, 08:22 AM
I hope that they do sign him. He would be a great mentor for Adams both on the field and how to be a class act as a member of the team.

Completely agree. Starks would also do a lot more to push Adams than Scott/Essex, and I'd rather not have to reshuffle Colon and Gilbert and insert Foster if Adams isn't ready.

ikestops85
07-05-2012, 12:06 PM

I agree O. Up until the San Fran game I thought Max was the team MVP. He is a great asset and someone who could push Adams into becoming a player whose play matches his ability. If it takes awhile for Adams to 'get it' I'm very comfortable with Starks starting at LT.

Oviedo
07-05-2012, 01:14 PM
I agree O. Up until the San Fran game I thought Max was the team MVP. He is a great asset and someone who could push Adams into becoming a player whose play matches his ability. If it takes awhile for Adams to 'get it' I'm very comfortable with Starks starting at LT.

I don't even hold the SF game against him. Everyone sucked against Aldon Smith last year and Ben couldn't help with his injury.

There is another Overrated and Underrated thread. If Starks was on the team he would have been my clear choice for underrated. Much better than he has ever been given credit for.

hawaiiansteel
07-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Why the Steelers Should Bring Back Max Starks

Jul 4th, 2012 by DomSteelers

http://nicepickcowher.com/files/2012/07/5662836-300x225.jpg?2e2030

I was a bit taken aback when I read a post by Josh Alper last week on Pro Football Talk which read: “Max Starks nearing 100 percent, still no spot for him with Steelers.” In the post, Alper discussed how Starks’ rehab coming off of his torn ACL has gone quite well, and that Starks said he is nearing 100%. Unfortunately for Starks, the Steelers apparently are not very interested in bringing him back for his 9th season. According to a recent tweet from Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (linked by Alper), the Steelers “won’t consider Starks until/if Adams fails or an injury to Gilbert.”

I was a tad shocked when I read the aforementioned tweet, because I figured that the Steelers would at least consider giving Starks a tryout or at least a chance to prove to the organization that his knee was healthy coming off of his injury which he sustained in the Playoffs. In fact, I believe that if Starks’ health holds up, he would actually be a valuable signing for the Steelers, because he could bring three very important things to the 2012 team: depth, experience, and leadership.

Depth, Experience, and Leadership

Injuries have completely ravaged the Offensive Line over the last few seasons, but most notably at the Tackle position. Starks, as well as Willie Colon, and Jonathan Scott have gone down with injuries, and turned in some less than stellar performances. This has led to mass shuffling along the Offensive Line and guys like Flozell Adams and even Starks have been signed late in the offseason/during the regular season. To their credit, the Steelers have done their due diligence and acquired two fantastic young Tackles in the last two Drafts in the forms of Marcus Gilbert and Mike Adams, yet there is not a whole heck of a lot of experience behind both the Rookie Adams and Gilbert who is just starting his 2nd season.

Yet on a positional unit that is just beginning to get settled, disaster could strike in the form of injury or poor play and Rookie mistakes at any minute. With those things in mind, depth, especially experienced depth is a valuable asset to have, and Starks has plenty of experience. Plus, do you want to see Jonathan Scott or another backup with limited experience taking snaps and protecting Big Ben’s blind-side on a consistent basis again? Protecting #7 is the most important thing for this franchise to do, and the best way is making sure that he can stand upright, no matter what sorts of injuries happen at the Offensive Tackle position.

Furthermore, what better mentor to have for guys like Gilbert and Adams, along with the rest of the young Offensive Linemen than Starks? The guy has played 8 seasons in the League, started 79 games over 8 seasons, started at Right Tackle for one Super Bowl winning team, and at Left Tackle for another. He has experienced demotion (when he lost his Right Tackle job to Willie Colon), injuries (missed most of 2010 with neck injury), and all sorts of other ups and downs over his eight year career. Starks knows what it takes to be a professional, play well, and carve out a long career in the League. Because of this, he could be a solid influence for the Offensive Linemen as well as the younger players to look up to in the locker room.

Final Thoughts

Look, I am not on the “Starks Right Now!” bandwagon as of yet. He is still rehabbing the injury he sustained last offseason, and there is still time before Training Camp, the Preseason, and even the Regular Season all begin for this situation to be sorted out. Yet if the price is right for the somewhat cash-strapped Steelers to sign Starks (hopefully Wallace can be signed for at least this season), I say there is no harm in at least giving the guy a tryout. If Starks is signed and does not play a snap this season because Gilbert and Adams play well/stay healthy, then so be it. He was there for depth purposes, and I am sure that he was a valuable veteran Lineman to have at the team’s disposal. Yet if in the off-chance Starks is forced to play, the team can at least know that they have a legitimate and reliable option to go to if disaster strikes. Plus, Starks is a far better backup option at the Tackle position than Jonathan Scott has proved to be over the last two years as well.

Adams and Gilbert may be the future of this franchise at the Tackle position, and both could very well develop into the best set of bookends this franchise has had since probably before I was born. However, depth is key is the N.F.L., and teams’ without any, do not accomplish very much over the long haul of a season. Starks can provide depth, leadership, and experience to a young and emerging Offensive Line. Thus, I believe that the Steelers should not hesitate to bring Starks in this season if he is healthy and can be signed at a reasonable price.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/07/04/why-the-steelers-should-bring-back-max-starks/

steelz09
07-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Does anyone really think that Adams can outplay Starks right now?

Slapstick
07-06-2012, 05:24 PM

If Max is limited by his ACL, then yes...

That's the big question....

phillyesq
07-06-2012, 07:22 PM

A healthy Starks? Doubtful.

If the Steelers are committed to giving Adams a shot, the question then becomes, who do you want as a backup, Starks or Scott? As long as Starks doesn't have the leg amputated, he is likely the better option.

Discipline of Steel
07-07-2012, 06:16 AM

If the Steelers are committed to giving Adams a shot, the question then becomes, who do you want as a backup, Starks or Scott? As long as Starks doesn't have the leg amputated, he is likely the better option.

I think we all know the answer to that one...and the Steelers do too. Its about timing at this point. When will Maxx be healthy enough to occupy a roster spot? At that point, we will sign him.

phillyesq
07-17-2012, 04:40 PM
Why the Steelers Should Bring Back Max Starks

I was a bit taken aback when I read a post by Josh Alper last week on Pro Football Talk which read: “Max Starks nearing 100 percent, still no spot for him with Steelers.” In the post, Alper discussed how Starks’ rehab coming off of his torn ACL has gone quite well, and that Starks said he is nearing 100%. Unfortunately for Starks, the Steelers apparently are not very interested in bringing him back for his 9th season. According to a recent tweet from Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (linked by Alper), the Steelers “won’t consider Starks until/if Adams fails or an injury to Gilbert.”

I was a tad shocked when I read the aforementioned tweet, because I figured that the Steelers would at least consider giving Starks a tryout or at least a chance to prove to the organization that his knee was healthy coming off of his injury which he sustained in the Playoffs. In fact, I believe that if Starks’ health holds up, he would actually be a valuable signing for the Steelers, because he could bring three very important things to the 2012 team: depth, experience, and leadership.

Looks like Kaboly is wrong again. He already deleted the tweet where he said that Starks wasn't coming back.

Oviedo
07-17-2012, 05:18 PM

Don't forget your also have Trai "I can play everywhere" Essex supposedly looking like he is in great shape. You could dump Jon Scott and have Essex back up Starks/Adams at LT and at LG and at C and at RG and at RT.

RuthlessBurgher
07-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Looks like Kaboly is wrong again. He already deleted the tweet where he said that Starks wasn't coming back.

For every useful nugget that comes from Twitter, there are always ten turds that someone pulls out of thin air.

RuthlessBurgher
07-18-2012, 10:11 AM
Don't forget your also have Trai "I can play everywhere" Essex supposedly looking like he is in great shape. You could dump Jon Scott and have Essex back up Starks/Adams at LT and at LG and at C and at RG and at RT.

The 7 active gameday roster spots should be Adams, Colon, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert, Legursky, and Starks.

Legursky will back up all 3 interior line spot as well as being a goalline fullback (he gets a helmet over Foster due to the ability to play center). The loser of the Adams/Starks battle for starting LT will be the gameday swing tackle. If Starks is not physically ready to play game 1, then Essex is moved up to the active roster for the time being.

The gameday inactives should be Foster and Essex. Beachum will likely be on the practice squad.

Think of the jumbo set we could use at the goalline...23 personnel with our extra tackle in as the 3rd blocking TE. Redman at halfback, Legursky at fullback...Miller-Adams-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert-Starks-Saunders up front.

Oviedo
07-18-2012, 10:41 AM
The 7 active gameday roster spots should be Adams, Colon, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert, Legursky, and Starks.

Legursky will back up all 3 interior line spot as well as being a goalline fullback (he gets a helmet over Foster due to the ability to play center). The loser of the Adams/Starks battle for starting LT will be the gameday swing tackle. If Starks is not physically ready to play game 1, then Essex is moved up to the active roster for the time being.

The gameday inactives should be Foster and Essex. Beachum will likely be on the practice squad.

Think of the jumbo set we could use at the goalline...23 personnel with our extra tackle in as the 3rd blocking TE. Redman at halfback, Legursky at fullback...Miller-Adams-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert-Starks-Saunders up front.

Probably close to right. I think it will be interesting to see when Starks is cleared for contact. Adams should get lots of early reps in camp and we will see in very short order how well he can deal with the likes of Timmons, Harrison and Woodley.

I really like the Beachum pick and he could be the replacement for Colon in a couple of years.

phillyesq
07-18-2012, 11:38 AM
I really like the Beachum pick and he could be the replacement for ESSEX in a couple of years.

Fixed that for you.

From the writeups on Beachum, sounds like he is versatile and very smart. I think that makes him ideal as a backup swing lineman in the Essex mold. Hopefully he improves beyond that, but if the Steelers end up with a capable backup at a number of positions for 5+ years, that is absolutely a success for a seventh round comp pick.