PDA

View Full Version : Ed: Adams to LT, Gilbert Stays at RT

hawaiiansteel
05-17-2012, 11:02 PM
Ed: Adams to LT, Gilbert Stays at RT

THURSDAY, 17 MAY 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Ed Bouchette confirmed today that the Steelers are planning on newly drafted Mike Adams being the Steelers left tackle as they enter the 2012 season.

Rookie Mike Adams will go to left tackle and Marcus Gilbert will stay at right tackle, a source close to the situation told me today.

At least that’s the plan going into training camp. That obviously could change if Adams cannot handle the job but the coaching staff believes he can and quickly made that decision right after they drafted him.

It’s why they put the phone call into Willie Colon so quickly to inform him of his move to left guard.

So, as long as things work out, the Steelers offensive line will look like this:

LT Mike Adams, LG Willie Colon, C Maurkice Pouncey, RG David DeCastro, RT Marcus Gilbert.

Possible backups: T Jonathan Scott, G/T Trai Essex, G/C Doug Legursky, G Ramon Foster.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116406-ed-adams-to-lt-gilbert-stays-at-rt?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Jooser
05-18-2012, 07:12 AM
In another thread, there's been some debate about this. But, here it is. If Ed's take is accurate, this could be an interesting season.

Oviedo
05-18-2012, 07:58 AM
What I like the most is that you see Legursky and Foster listed as "possible back ups" where they belong. How quickly things have changed for the better when just a couple months ago we were talking about them as starters which is why our OL was so bad last year. Neither one is starter quality on any NFL team with a better than average OL. We saw way too many times where opponents got too much interior penetration or we got no push from our interior OL. They can be adequete back ups but I love it that as of right now we are no longer talking crazy about them be starters.

phillyesq
05-18-2012, 08:06 AM
What I like the most is that you see Legursky and Foster listed as "possible back ups" where they belong. How quickly things have changed for the better when just a couple months ago we were talking about them as starters which is why our OL was so bad last year. Neither one is starter quality on any NFL team with a better than average OL. We saw way too many times where opponents got too much interior penetration or we got no push from our interior OL. They can be adequete back ups but I love it that as of right now we are no longer talking crazy about them be starters.

I agree. Legursky is best suited to swing duty and spot starting. I think Foster can replace Colon in that lineup and the Steelers wouldn't lose too much. He is a decent guard, and with talent everywhere else, you can get away with one mediocre player (as opposed to a line full of them).

I'm surprised that Adams starts this year. I expect the lineup above to be what we would see in 2013, but Adams as a first year, first week starter surprises me.

Instead of hanging on to Scott and his over $2 million salary, I'd prefer to see Starks return, if healthy, to be the gameday swing tackle.

calmkiller
05-18-2012, 08:19 AM

What he said.

RuthlessBurgher
05-18-2012, 10:31 AM
I'll be happy with Adams-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert for 2012-2014.

Then, going into the 2015 season, Mike Pouncey will be a free agent. He could be interested in taking his talents away from South Beach and joining his twin brother Maurkice and his quasi-adopted brother Chris Rainey in Pittsburgh. Willie Colon will be entering the last year of his contract in 2015 and will be due $6 million, so he could be a cap casualty at that point to make room for another Pouncey.

The dominant OL of the future will be complete in 2015:

Adams-Pouncey-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert.

Or, perhaps at that point, they'd move DeCastro over to LG, to keep the 3 Gators next to each other, since Mike always played RG next to Maurkice at C for their whole lives until Maurkice left early for the NFL. Then we'd have:

Adams-DeCastro-Pouncey-Pouncey-Gilbert.

And they'll all be entering the prime of their careers at the same time.

Oviedo
05-18-2012, 10:41 AM
I'll be happy with Adams-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert for 2012-2014.

Then, going into the 2015 season, Mike Pouncey will be a free agent. He could be interested in taking his talents away from South Beach and joining his twin brother Maurkice and his quasi-adopted brother Chris Rainey in Pittsburgh. Willie Colon will be entering the last year of his contract in 2015 and will be due $6 million, so he could be a cap casualty at that point to make room for another Pouncey.

The dominant OL of the future will be complete in 2015:

Adams-Pouncey-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert.

Or, perhaps at that point, they'd move DeCastro over to LG, to keep the 3 Gators next to each other, since Mike always played RG next to Maurkice at C for their whole lives until Maurkice left early for the NFL. Then we'd have:

Adams-DeCastro-Pouncey-Pouncey-Gilbert.

And they'll all be entering the prime of their careers at the same time.

Sounds like a very talented, but expensive OL of the future. I think they are going to need to keep drafting good OL the next couple of years because when his contract is up Pouncey will probably want to be the highest paid Center in the NFL. If DeCastro lives up to billing when his initial contract is over he will probably garner a Top 5 salary offer. All the more reason you have to balk at Wallace getting anything near Larry Fitzgerald money.

MeetJoeGreene
05-18-2012, 11:28 AM
To be honest, I thought that would be our line in 2013. I am a tad more than a tad concerned about Adams at left tackle so soon with his strength issues combined with being a rookie... plus since he is from Ohio state on those goofy trimesters.. he can't attend OTAs initially -- correct?

Dee Dub
05-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Interesting. When I was advocating the drafting of Cordy Glenn I said it would be best to play him at LT and keep Marcus Gilbert at his more natural position of RT. There were more than a few Steeler fans who insisted that Glenn would better serve the Steelers at guard (higher position of need).

So now it's right to keep Gilbert at RT and move a tackle to guard since the Steelers have drafted a LT? Ok.

birtikidis
05-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Either way dub a tackle would be playing guard. Either foster or colon. With the drafting of Adams there was no way colon would start at tackle this year. As it is, it's only a matter of time before colon gets hurt and is out for the year.

Slapstick
05-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Interesting. When I was advocating the drafting of Cordy Glenn I said it would be best to play him at LT and keep Marcus Gilbert at his more natural position of RT. There were more than a few Steeler fans who insisted that Glenn would better serve the Steelers at guard (higher position of need).

So now it's right to keep Gilbert at RT and move a tackle to guard since the Steelers have drafted a LT? Ok.

If Colon move to guard and Glenn moves to guard, there are people who think that both are playing a a position better suited to them...

RuthlessBurgher
05-18-2012, 12:33 PM
To be honest, I thought that would be our line in 2013. I am a tad more than a tad concerned about Adams at left tackle so soon with his strength issues combined with being a rookie... plus since he is from Ohio state on those goofy trimesters.. he can't attend OTAs initially -- correct?

I believe Stanford is also on that same system...sucks.

hawaiiansteel
05-18-2012, 07:26 PM
FRIDAY, 18 MAY 2012

WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

--- Many people have asked me if the Steelers plan to re-sign Max Starks, who had ACL surgery in January. I was told they would look at him again in June to see what kind of shape he’s in and how his recovery is coming along. I was told that before the draft and really have not talked to anyone about him since then. They have nothing to lose by taking a look at Starks but I don’t know if they want him as a backup. They do have depth at tackle when you consider Jonathan Scott along with Trai Essex and even Colon.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...team-of-21st-c (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116414-ed-steelers-all-defense-team-of-21st-c)

Flasteel
05-18-2012, 07:41 PM

Dude...we drafted a guard AND a LT. Cordy Glenn - at his very best - could only be a guard OR a LT. :D

Having DeCastro eliminates the need to put a guy who can start at tackle there. However, having Adams FORCES a guy who can start at tackle to kick inside. It's only possible because Colon looks like a guard and quacks like a guard. If he was 6'5" tall and could smack you from across the room, I guarantee you he would not be moving to guard.

hawaiiansteel
05-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Report: Trai Essex To Compete At Left Tackle With Mike Adams & Jonathan Scott

Friday, May 18th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Some more news concerning the Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line today as Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports via Twitter that veteran offensive lineman Trai Essex will get a shot to compete for the left tackle position against rookie second round draft pick Mike Adams and veteran Jonathan Scott.

Essex, who was re-signed prior to the draft, has played all five positions on the offensive line since being drafted by the Steelers in the 3rd round of the 2005 NFL draft. Essex was an unrestricted free agent heading into this offseason.

This announcement pretty much backs up the report by Ed Bouchette earlier this week that said second year tackle Marcus Gilbert will now remain at the right tackle spot where he played the majority of his rookie season after Willie Colon went down for the season with a torn triceps against the Baltimore Ravens in week one. It was announced earlier this week that Colon has been moved to left guard permanently.

When the Steelers report for their first OTA session next week, the starting offensive line from left to right could very well be Scott, Colon, Maurkice Pouncey, Ramon Foster and Gilbert as Kaboly also reported on Twitter Friday afternoon that both Adams and first round pick David DeCastro are not permitted to take part in any of the Steelers 10 OTA practices because of school graduation requirements.

Scott was the week one starter for the Steelers last season at left tackle and Foster assumed the right guard spot after starter Doug Legursky injured his shoulder in the week three game against the Indianapolis Colts. Scott was quickly hooked from left tackle when the Steelers re-signed Max Starks following the Steelers loss to the Houston Texans in week four. Starks started the remainder of the season at left tackle.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/report_trai_essex_to_compete_at_left_tackle_with_m ike_adams_jonathan_scott/10824257

Chadman
05-18-2012, 09:19 PM
To be fair- Essex ALWAYS played his best football when filling in at LT.

hawaiiansteel
05-19-2012, 01:42 AM
Let the Steelers offensive tackle battle begin

by The Sports Jags
May 18,2012

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/696/282/143822058_crop_650x440.jpg?1336709403

Mike Adams and Marcus Gilbert are set - for now anyways – to be the Steelers’ starting offensive tackles. Together, they combine for 14 NFL games played and 13 starts…well, that’s what Gilbert brings to the table – Adams is a rookie. These two sub-25-year-olds are tasked with transforming the Steelers’ offensive line into one that’s capable of protecting Ben Roethlisberger in the passing game. No amount of ******** and moaning is going to change that – for some reason Mike Tomlin doesn’t read this blog nor does he take us to be serious journalists.

Whether you’re happy with the decision to keep Gilbert at right tackle and starting Adams at left, all thanks to Willie Colon’s move to guard, it doesn’t matter – these two kids now become the best tackles the Steelers have to offer. Adams and Gilbert pretty much have to work out or the Steelers are up **** crick because they have no legit replacements.

We’re still four months away from the games that matter so that make this a little easier to swallow but the battle to round out the Steelers’ offensive tackle depth chart just became the most interesting action that will take place in Latrobe.

The interior of the line looks stacked now with Colon moving to guard. The starters will be Colon, Maurkice Pouncey and David DeCastro, and it looks like their backups will be Trai Essex, Doug Legursky and Ramon Foster. The Steelers could have the best backup corps in the NFL…thanks in large part to the 25 different looks the line sported last year. Essex, and even Legursky and Foster in a severe pinch, can kick out to tackle, but what if the Steelers’ line hits the same “Get Well Soon” road block it hit last year (knock on wood)? The Steelers need serviceable reserve tackles.

http://sports-kings.com/downanddistance/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/marcus-gilbert-vs-cincinnati-12042011-01-nfl_medium_540_360_JPG.jpg

Even the starters aren’t a sure thing. Gilbert should be just fine now that he’s staying on the right side, as long as he doesn’t hit a sophomore slump. But without even dressing for a single NFL game, let alone see action, the second-round kid out of Ohio State has more responsibility than anyone else on the line. Chances are, if Ben gets murdered, it’s going to be Adams’ fault on Ben’s blind side. The Steelers better figure something out.

Right now, Jonathan Scott and Chris Scott are the only other tackles on the roster with any real shot of hanging around. The Steelers are taking a $2.7 mil cap hit from Jon Scott, the second highest cap hit of any lineman, and he’s been useless since he’s been in the Burgh. We’re still not sure how he still has a job. Chris Scott hasn’t had as many chances as Jonny Boy but he’s still been a pretty big disappointment thanks to inconsistency and injuries. There’s no way he’s an option at left tackle so he’s really going to have to go balls to the wall in camp for a shot at making the team.

The Steelers just signed Kyle Jolly but he’s never been more than a practice squad guy since he came into the league two years ago, and the Steelers have already cut him once.

That really only leaves one option. Max Starks. Right? The big guy is coming off of ACL surgery so maybe the Steelers are just keeping Jon Scott on the roster until Starks gets the goahead…it’s a very real possibility. We saw how productive Starks can be last year when he pretty much saved the line from committing mass suicide…after he dropped about 100 pounds. If he’s rehabbing seriously this offseason there’s no reason he can’t earn himself a spot back on the 53-man roster. The organization loves him and more importantly, Ben loves him.

If the Steelers decide to go with nine linemen like they did last year, Starks makes the most sense to be that ninth guy. He has the experience, he knows Ben’s tendencies and he seems like the type of guy that would have no problem mentoring Gilbert and Adams. Most of all, he’s the most talented guy in this post that isn’t a projected starter. If Gilbert or Adams can’t hack it, he’s the best option for the Steelers’ offense not to completely fall apart.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/let_the_steelers_offensive_tackle_battle_begin/10823324

hawaiiansteel
05-22-2012, 03:15 AM
it's Mike Adams' inconsistency that bothers me, I saw that game against Marshall and Vinny Curry really did eat him up. and in the NFL Mike Adams is going to face a lot better guys than Curry week in and week out...

Breaking Down the Steelers’ 2012 NFL Draft, Expert-Stye

Posted on May 21, 2012 by ryan

Our good buddy Doug Farrar of Shutdown Corner has a weekly podcast with NFL Films’ Greg Cosell. In the latest episode, they recount the AFC North draft haul and because I know many of you are among the laziest people on Earth, I transcribed the Steelers-related bits.

You can listen to the entire podcast here, and the Steelers talk starts around the 52-minute mark. Also worth noting: Farrar loves David DeCastro. Cosell likes him too, but was also a fan of Kevin Zeitler, the guy the Bengals took with their second first-rounder after passing on DeCastro with their first first-rounder (Cincy took CB Dre Kirpatrick instead).

On Mike Adams
Cosell: To me, he fits anywhere because I believe he’s the most athletic left tackle in the draft. Was he the best left tackle? I think there are games you put on with Mike Adams where you say that he was the best left tackle in this draft. There were other games — and I guess I didn’t see those games because, you know, you can’t watch every game and I don’t work for a team — where I was told that he was not quite as competitive snap after snap, where some flaws came out, some people, I guess, pointed to a game he played not this year but last year against Marshall and Vinny Curry apparently ate him up.

Are there flaws and some concerns? Absolutely. But as a pure athletic left tackle, I thought he was the best in this draft. … Athletic-ability-wise, he’s fine. There’s not an issue. … There’s one thing about linemen that goes beyond Xs and Os: you gotta compete in the NFL to play offensive line. It’s a ‘compete’ position. You’re gonna get beat, you’re gonna get your ass kicked at times.

(Note: Max Starks hasn’t heard from the Steelers and doesn’t expect to. Make of this what you will.)

On Sean Spence:
Cosell: This is my opinion, this is not something … Mike Tomlin called me and told me. I think they see Sean Spence playing inside in their 3-4, and I think they see Lawrence Timmons, who athletically could be dynamite as an outside linebacker in a 3-4, ultimately moving there.

On Alameda Ta’amu
Farrar: He played a lot of one-game at Washington. I think he’s a better two-gap guy.

Cosell: It’s funny you say that because after I watched him, here’s my line: best transitions to the NFL as a 3-4 nose tackle base personnel player. … For people who talk about where guys get drafted, I think he’s a perfect value. I think he can become the successor to Casey Hampton, either two-down or base personnel. … And I think he fits perfectly in that role.

Farrar: I believe that if you’re a team in need of an absolute two-gap, hole-plugging nose guy … — not a Haloti Ngata, who’s just a freak from another planet, but that traditional 3-4 nose — he’s a perfect fit there.

On Chris Rainey
Cosell: I love the pick of Chris Rainey. … I like Rainey more than Dexter McCluster and McCluster was a second-round pick of the Chiefs. … The reason he’s a fifth-round pick is because he is what he is: he’s not a feature back, he plays 12 or 15 or 20 snaps … but this guy can score from anywhere on the field. He was so smooth changing direction … he was so fluid doing that. … I think Rainey is faster (than McCluster). I think McCluster is more lateral. … Rainey did not dance, Rainey was a downhill guy with incredible hips.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2012/05/breaking-down-2012-nfl-draft-steelers/

Jooser
05-22-2012, 06:50 AM
Nice write-up on Rainey. :o

Shawn
05-22-2012, 08:51 AM
In another thread, there's been some debate about this. But, here it is. If Ed's take is accurate, this could be an interesting season.

If by interesting, you mean watching Ben get face planted from his backside, then yes this will be an interesting season. Adams is not starter ready by any stretch of the imagination. I still can't imagine what the Steelers are seeing. Adams is a project, a talented but very raw project. If OSU hadn't had nifty, ultra fast QBs he would have probably given up 30+ sacks over his college career. He was a turnstyle for most of his college career against some suspect talent. Now he is ready to protect Ben's blindside?

Slapstick
05-22-2012, 09:01 AM
If by interesting, you mean watching Ben get face planted from his backside, then yes this will be an interesting season. Adams is not starter ready by any stretch of the imagination. I still can't imagine what the Steelers are seeing. Adams is a project, a talented but very raw project. If OSU hadn't had nifty, ultra fast QBs he would have probably given up 30+ sacks over his college career. He was a turnstyle for most of his college career against some suspect talent. Now he is ready to protect Ben's blindside?

All I can think is that the Steelers saw the same tape that you and I did, only more of it, probably...they apparently have faith in Kugler to get him ready...

Shawn
05-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Hawaiian, I agree with you. I haven't disliked a pick so much in many years. It wasn't just Curry. I wish Adams only got ate up by Curry. I did a little write up on Adams against Whitney Mercilus. He gives up 2 sacks and gets face planted during this game. Now mind you, most of the game Adams was physically dominant. He was pushing Whitney around. But, with all those tools...Adams finds a way to get his QBs killed. This was game after game while playing at OSU.

Here is the video showing exactly what I am talking about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ndXFxPUoJM

Shawn
05-22-2012, 09:09 AM
All I can think is that the Steelers saw the same tape that you and I did, only more of it, probably...they apparently have faith in Kugler to get him ready...

They seen much less of OSU than myself, but look at it with an obviously trained eye. If the Steelers drafted Adams based on the potential that Kugler seen...terrific. I'm glad they see what the rest of the world seen...myself included. He is a freak...huge...strong...nifty. I watch him physically dominate good players, only to fall asleep give up a sack, or allow someone to penetrate and cause a fumble. Even though I had 4 years to grow personally frustrated with his play and tomfoolery, I recognize the guy has a gift. But, it's raw, his motivation in the past has been lacking, and he was an embarassment to the OSU program. He is not ready for the pros. Not yet. So forgive me if the thought of him starting at LT scares me a bit.

Slapstick
05-22-2012, 09:13 AM
They seen much less of OSU than myself, but look at it with an obviously trained eye. If the Steelers drafted Adams based on the potential that Kugler seen...terrific. I'm glad they see what the rest of the world seen...myself included. He is a freak...huge...strong...nifty. I watch him physically dominate good players, only to fall asleep give up a sack, or allow someone to penetrate and cause a fumble. Even though I had 4 years to grow personally frustrated with his play and tomfoolery, I recognize the guy has a gift. But, it's raw, his motivation in the past has been lacking, and he was an embarassment to the OSU program. He is not ready for the pros. Not yet. So forgive me if the thought of him starting at LT scares me a bit.

You are entitled to your opinion...I'm sure that the Steelers saw less of OSU, but I bet they have tons of tape on Adams...

Also, they don't have the same emotional attachment to the team and more objectivity...

Shawn
05-22-2012, 09:17 AM
You are entitled to your opinion...I'm sure that the Steelers saw less of OSU, but I bet they have tons of tape on Adams...

Also, they don't have the same emotional attachment to the team and more objectivity...

Very true. I suppose emotional objectivity would clarify why Adams was so inconsistent.

Shawn
05-22-2012, 09:28 AM
H...here is the video of Curry abusing Adams. Be prepared it's not pretty.

Adams is #75.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnxzVx2-gKs

Shawn
05-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Another of Adams against Crawford. Not nearly as horrific as the Curry video, but check out around the 1:10 mark. He is pass blocking on a run play, almost like he forgot he needed to get some push to clear the B gap. All through out you are seeing people get a step on Adams, penetrating into the backfield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI1P8Fm2gmM&feature=relmfu

While Adams is now a Steeler, I will root for him. I sooo hope I am wrong about this kid. But, I think he is starting at LT only because our other options are so bad.

Chadman
05-22-2012, 10:21 AM
H...here is the video of Curry abusing Adams. Be prepared it's not pretty.

Adams is #75.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnxzVx2-gKs

Geez Shawn...horrific? He got beat for a sack on one play, for sure, and there are 2 plays that are touch & go...but the rest he looks superior to every guy up against him. He won't be the Lone Ranger as far as getting beat by good defensive players, but you paint him out to being barely better than Sean Mahan. What Chadman sees, MOSTLY, from Adams is a guy that walls off pretty well in pass protection & has some balance issues in run blocking- at times.

Slapstick
05-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Geez Shawn...horrific? He got beat for a sack on one play, for sure, and there are 2 plays that are touch & go...but the rest he looks superior to every guy up against him. He won't be the Lone Ranger as far as getting beat by good defensive players, but you paint him out to being barely better than Sean Mahan. What Chadman sees, MOSTLY, from Adams is a guy that walls off pretty well in pass protection & has some balance issues in run blocking- at times.

Emotional objectivity....

Shawn
05-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Chadman, we must have seen a different video. Yes, he gave up one sack...two against Mercilus...but I seen other issues as well.

1:15 Falls on his face, after missing block
2:20 gets beat with ease, gives up sack
3:16 Gets beat by Curry, split second more=sack, again face planted
3:55 Gets beat again, gives up on protection
5:20 Falls down-Curry makes tackle

This isn't even touching again on the Mercilus video. I believe he gets face planted several times in that video as well.

So, going against NFL caliber but rookie NFL talent, Adams gave up 3 sacks in two games. I may lack "emotional objectivity" but that seems pretty clear cut. What is Adams going to do against some real NFL talent?

aggiebones
05-22-2012, 12:24 PM
I think that sets 4 spots with very good players. Colon, Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert
And it leaves 3 players to fight for LT.

Adams gets a crack to see how far behind he is. If he's close they may push him hard through camp. But it would seem more likely that he doesn't start opening day. And since Starks is also not quite ready, I think you'll see JScott start at LT in opening game. May not be ideal or even long term, but Starks and Adams have one thing in common. Neither will likely be fully ready to go in the first game.
That said and I know people don't love Scott as the LT anymore, but he may fair better with the rest of the line looking as it is. He needs some help, but how much? With a line made of Legs, Essex, Gilbert and Foster, he ain't getting any. But with Colon, Pouncey, DeCastro and Gilbert...he may get enough to be a short term effective player. Then when Adams is ready, JScott moves back to the swing T. Maybe at some point, they dump Scott for Starks, but I doubt it will be before opening day. And maybe at some point Starks has to come back due to injury. Our tackles have had alot of injury problems the last couple years forcing us to do all kinds of crazy stuff.

RuthlessBurgher
05-22-2012, 01:30 PM
So, going against NFL caliber but rookie NFL talent, Adams gave up 3 sacks in two games. I may lack "emotional objectivity" but that seems pretty clear cut. What is Adams going to do against some real NFL talent?

He'll struggle like all rookies struggle. What is the other option right now? Jonathan Scott starting at LT again? We saw the disaster that was Jon Scott at LT in the first month last year. I don't want to see that again. Scott has no future here...Adams does. If the choices are Adams struggling as a rookie, or Scott struggling as a vet with Adams lingering on the bench, I'd rather give the rook the reps so that he can start adjusting to the speed of the NFL game (which he wouldn't get from the bench).

phillyesq
05-22-2012, 01:44 PM
He'll struggle like all rookies struggle. What is the other option right now? Jonathan Scott starting at LT again? We saw the disaster that was Jon Scott at LT in the first month last year. I don't want to see that again. Scott has no future here...Adams does. If the choices are Adams struggling as a rookie, or Scott struggling as a vet with Adams lingering on the bench, I'd rather give the rook the reps so that he can start adjusting to the speed of the NFL game (which he wouldn't get from the bench).

Between Adams and Scott, I'd be shocked if Adams wasn't the better option. If it's even close, I agree with you - better to get Adams reps.

Where I think it becomes a better challenge is if Max Starks is healthy and returns. He was, at a minimum, a league average LT last year, which is nothing to sneeze at. A healthy Starks would provide competition and make Adams earn the LT job.

RuthlessBurgher
05-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Between Adams and Scott, I'd be shocked if Adams wasn't the better option. If it's even close, I agree with you - better to get Adams reps.

Where I think it becomes a better challenge is if Max Starks is healthy and returns. He was, at a minimum, a league average LT last year, which is nothing to sneeze at. A healthy Starks would provide competition and make Adams earn the LT job.

Yeah, but that "healthy" qualifier likely throws a wrench in the works. Like Mendenhall and Hampton, Max is not likely to be ready to go full bore from the start.

Shawn
05-22-2012, 03:23 PM

And I agree with you as addressed in a previous post. Even as raw as he is...I would rather have him start than Essex and Scott. If the LT is going to get abused, then I want it to be a guy who has a high enough ceiling to learn a few lessons from that abuse.

My posts are to temper some of the enthusiasm with a realistic look at this OL. Adams is very raw, but has gifts you can't teach. As good as DeCastro is...he is still a rookie and will have some ups and downs. Colon who is injury prone, is being moved to a new position after not having any significant PT in a couple years. The OL problems won't be cured overnight. It will take Adams at least a season to be anything more than serviceable. If Colon stays healthy...same for him to learn a new position.

Dee Dub
05-22-2012, 04:42 PM
....My posts are to temper some of the enthusiasm with a realistic look at this OL.

in other words...a total Buzz Kill! :p

hawaiiansteel
05-22-2012, 04:55 PM
in other words...a total Buzz Kill! :p

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0912/buzzkill-death-morbid-reality-sucks-buzzkill-cyanide-and-hap-demotivational-poster-1262057513.jpg

Chadman
05-22-2012, 09:34 PM
"Colon who is injury prone"

No, he isn't. He doesn't have lingering, repetitive injuries. He isn't banged up repeatedly every week. He's had 2 fluke injuries- achilles & torn triceps, that have been longterm injuries. Before these he rarely missed game time.

Ben is injury prone- always picking up new ailments, or repeat ailments. Colon is unlucky. If his achilles goes again, or his triceps- then you start seeing a pattern.

hawaiiansteel
05-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Steelers would have taken Adams in Round 1?

May 23rd, 2012

The Steelers got a gift when David DeCastro fell to them at pick 24 in the 2012 NFL Draft. DeCastro was a top 10 prospect but expected to fall into the teens because he is a guard. Pass rushers and cornerbacks passed him up on draft day and DeCastro continued to slip. The Steelers picked him up at #24 without hesitation.

What would have happened if DeCastro would have not been on the board? For most of us we would have been screaming Dont’a Hightower all the way. Many had Hightower as the Steelers pick heading into the draft. He was pretty much the concensus pick.

After seeing the Steelers reaction to Mike Adams I do not know if that would have been the case. The Steelers were extremely high on Adams. They had given him a first round grade. They had already looked past his character issues and wanted him on this team.

The Steelers were more then happy to get Adams in round 2. I think they may have also been more than happy to get Adams in round 1. It might sound crazy but I think the Steelers would have taken Adams at 24 if DeCastro was not available.

Look at how they are treating him right now. He is a second round pick who is expected to start at Left Tackle from day one. The Steelers barely ever start rookies and they sure as hell do not start second round blind side protectors unless absolutely neccesary. Yet Adams is basically being handed the job.

There is no real competition for him at that spot. Jonathan Scott is garbage. Trai Essex is a back up. Marcus Gilbert is now solidly on the right side since Colon moved to guard. This is Adams’ spot. There is no one who is going to take it away from him. He will have to blow it for him not to be the left tackle.

Since that is the case and Adams is getting the left tackle job and the Steelers believe he is the real deal then pick 24 does not seem to be a bad spot to grab a LT. While we all may have wanted Hightower to come in and play linebacker and fill the gap left by Farrior we may have been questioning when the team took Adams. They seem to love him though and that is what matters.

We will never know since DeCastro was on the board. It is something to wonder about though.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/20...ck+and+Gold) (http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/2012/05/23/steelers-would-have-taken-adams-in-round-1/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedBlackAndGold+(Bleed+Blac k+and+Gold))

hawaiiansteel
05-24-2012, 09:12 PM
Ed: Essex Believes Adams Can Step In

THURSDAY, 24 MAY 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good morning,

Trai Essex is running No. 1 at left tackle in minicamp, but he expects rookie Mike Adams to make his contribution quickly when he finally gets to report sometime in June.

Adams, the second-round draft choice, is ticketed to play at left tackle and many expect him to start. Even Essex, who has been a good utility offensive lineman with the Steelers, expects it.

“We had a lockout last year, and we had three or four rookie quarterbacks come in and tear up the NFL,’’ he told the PG’s Ray Fittipaldo Wednesday. “There aren’t any rookies anymore. If you get drafted that high there are expectations. It’s a business. You have to be ready to go.

“He is a rookie, so he will get some slack, but not much because there are no redshirts in the NFL. Guys are expected to contribute right away.”

Left tackle Essex’s natural position but he has not played much of it with the Steelers. He opened last season as the starting right guard, where he became the starter during the 2010 season. He started 18 consecutive games at right guard until an ankle injury kept him out of four games last season. He returned to start two more but then lost his job to Ramon Foster.

Essex resigned as a free agent this year and will back up the entire length of the line, including center if need be.

But now, “I was told my focus will be strictly on tackle, particularly left tackle. Because Ramon getting hurt, I’m getting some guard work.”

Essex is looking forward to seeing Adams in practice.

“They’ll give him an opportunity to come in and see what he has to do just because he hasn’t been here. They want to see what they invested a second round pick in. As a vet, I understand that. I won’t take it personal if he jumps the depth chart when he gets here. I understand how things work. I don’t catch feelings. The most I can do is give my hardest and show them I want to play, I want to start as well.”

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116482-ed-essex-believes-adams-can-step-in